Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 379 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9919Likes

post #11341 of 11866 Old 03-17-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
Roku forum reporting latest OS9 has jacked up some TV's royally. Personally I'd not buy a TV with the video streamer technology built in.

Amazon Prime for any UK shows for me totally out of sync again. Perfect on my Sony bluray and my AppleTV 4K.

My guess is ROKU OS9 messed up again with the 25hz UK video.
I too would prefer my TV not have any smart functions. An external box is almost always more capable and certainly easier (and less costly) to replace than the TV itself. I haven't used the smart functions of my Samsung TV for a couple of years. For whatever reason, I've been spared almost all of the issues others have experienced with Roku players, and used a 4 and Ultra on it until I finally bought an Nvidia Shield. The Ultra is on my 1080 plasma (and working just fine), but the Shield gives me everything I need except YouTube HDR. And since most of that content is just demo clips, I'm not missing much there. I've been watching YouTube and Amazon on the Ultra the past two days (home sick with the flu) without issue. Audio is via HDMI into a Yamaha AVR. You may have a point about the 25Hz signal. Obviously I can't compare that.

I do have two Roku TVs, and they both work fine as well. One is a low power 720p set and the other is a 43" 4K set, neither connected to any other devices. Although I do use the Sharp 4K as a computer monitor the days I telework.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 11866 Old 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
"the 25Hz signal. Obviously I can't compare that. "

You can. Just watch a UK based TV show via Amazon Prime video.
post #11343 of 11866 Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"the 25Hz signal. Obviously I can't compare that. "

You can. Just watch a UK based TV show via Amazon Prime video.
Oh, ok. I've been watching Dr. Who all day, so I guess that would qualify. No issues there. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered that.

EDIT: that was with my 4640 Ultra, connected to the 1080 plasma and a Yamaha AVR.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11344 of 11866 Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM

"I've been watching Dr. Who"

Depends. You have to check and see if its 25mhz. Just cause its UK based does not mean its been left at the UK standard.

Inspector Lewis is left at 25mhz. Some of the documentaries about WWII, etc.
post #11345 of 11866 Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"I've been watching Dr. Who"

Depends. You have to check and see if its 25mhz. Just cause its UK based does not mean its been left at the UK standard.

Inspector Lewis is left at 25mhz. Some of the documentaries about WWII, etc.
I'm not certain I know how to determine what freq they are showing it at. Will the hidden * menu show that?

Dan
post #11346 of 11866 Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I'm not certain I know how to determine what freq they are showing it at. Will the hidden * menu show that?
My TV "info" or "input" button will popup a banner that shows input framerate. I use that as a tool to check native frame rate.

It's useful because there's still many apps that ATV4K and Fire TV 4K Stick that cannot yet do framerate matching for need of developer API integration to their apps. Those will only show 60p without a capable tool. Auto framerate enabled on my Roku Ultra and TV info tells the truth for me.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #11347 of 11866 Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I use the Roku to watch live and pre-recorded News/Weather programs from around the Nation using the "News On" Channel. They improved the interface last year. When breaking news happens, you can always get deeper coverage from the local channels. You can go out and look for TV station's offerings individually on the net, but the News On Channel through Roku is easy to navigate.
galonzo and wilbur_the_goose like this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 03-23-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #11348 of 11866 Old 03-19-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
My TV "info" or "input" button will popup a banner that shows input framerate. I use that as a tool to check native frame rate.
The TV I have my Ultra connected to does not offer such information. It's kinda old. So probably no way of telling the framerate that Amazon is sending.

Dan
post #11349 of 11866 Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Quote:
The TV I have my Ultra connected to does not offer such information. It's kinda old. So probably no way of telling the framerate that Amazon is sending.
Does your AVR have a video info section where you can see what's coming in and going out? I have a Denon AVR and the Android tablet app can show that info, very handy.
post #11350 of 11866 Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Does your AVR have a video info section where you can see what's coming in and going out? I have a Denon AVR and the Android tablet app can show that info, very handy.
Nope, it's an older Yamaha. Even the one on my 4K set doesn't have that to my knowledge. If Yamaha even offers that on any of their non-Avantage models, I'd be surprised.

Dan
post #11351 of 11866 Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 PM

My TV shows the framerate, 24, 25, 30, etc.

Its just the ROKU and just when signal is 25mhz. There's some chatter on ROKU's web site, if you can get through the Chinese dating spam, about setting the audio to anything other than autodetect when having this kind of lip-synch issue. Something between the 25mhz and autodetect audio logic not playing well together.

I'll try it one of these days.
post #11352 of 11866 Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a question regarding upgrading my Roku 3. My system includes a Marantz SR-6005 AVR, Blu Ray player, Definitive 5.1 speaker system and the recent addition of an LG OLED55B7A TV, which is obviously 4K. All devices are routed through the Marantz with an HDMI to the LG ACR input.

Watching most content, the LG is upscaling much of it so it looks amazing. But since the Marantz doesn't support 4k, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an Ultra 4660 and if so, what advantages I'd realize. And if I were to get the Ultra do I need to upgrade the HDMI cables even though the Marantz doesn't support the latest format? I know this may seem 'dumb' to ask, but I have an opportunity to get a new 4660 for $40 but if there's no improvement over the Roku 3, its money down the drain. Thanks.

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Definitive studio monitors, SW, surrounds
Mill Valley, CA
post #11353 of 11866 Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
I have a question regarding upgrading my Roku 3. My system includes a Marantz SR-6005 AVR, Blu Ray player, Definitive 5.1 speaker system and the recent addition of an LG OLED55B7A TV, which is obviously 4K. All devices are routed through the Marantz with an HDMI to the LG ACR input.

Watching most content, the LG is upscaling much of it so it looks amazing. But since the Marantz doesn't support 4k, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an Ultra 4660 and if so, what advantages I'd realize. And if I were to get the Ultra do I need to upgrade the HDMI cables even though the Marantz doesn't support the latest format? I know this may seem 'dumb' to ask, but I have an opportunity to get a new 4660 for $40 but if there's no improvement over the Roku 3, its money down the drain. Thanks.
I doubt you would see much if any improvement if you continue to pass through the Marantz. No, you would not need to upgrade your HDMI cable, since the Marantz doesn't support HDMI 2.0. However, you would see a significant improvement (in my opinion) connecting an Ultra directly to the TV. You would then have access to not only native 4K, but more importantly HDR. I have no idea what native apps the LG has, and if the Roku would improve on them. Roku does offer YouTube HDR, which not all other players support. It's possible your Marantz might support a 4k/30 connection, which I believe is possible via HDMI 1.4, but I could be mistaken.

You must likely wouldn't lose anything connecting an Ultra directly to the set, expect of course the simplicity of all inputs running through your AVR. Since Roku doesn't support lossless audio, it's not like you have to connect to an AVR for the audio. About the only potential issue would be if your TV doesn't pass DD+ audio out via ARC or optical back to the AVR. Some TVs can, some can convert it to DD and send it out, and some just can't handle DD+ from external players, which means you'd only get cwo channel audio. In that case, upgrading the AVR is the only other solution.

Dan
post #11354 of 11866 Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dan...

Thanks so much for the valuable advice. I use a Logitech Harmony to control everything which has much to do with why I route all devices through the Marantz, though I don't use it to control the Roku whose remote is WiFi direct rather than RF.

LG TV's use WebOS which includes quite a selection of channels: https://isn.page.link/Q2Us

I'm using the ARC HDMI connected to the the Marantz and both DD and DD+ are passing through the Roku without any problems. Looking through the LG manual it states the ARC HDMI supporting the DD formats, though nothing about the optical audio output. So it appears were I to get the Ultra, I could plug it directly into the TV rather than the Marantz leaving the HDMI connected to the ARC port for audio pass through. The Marantz supports most DD formats though the LG has Atmos which won't be supported; not a big deal due to lack of content that uses Atmos.

As I said originally, the system is working nicely though having access to native 4K would be lovely.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Definitive studio monitors, SW, surrounds
Mill Valley, CA

Last edited by jontalk; 03-22-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #11355 of 11866 Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Roku audio will certainly go back out via ARC if you connect directly to the TV. I can't say for sure that DD+ will though. The standard supports it, but not all TVs will do it. And that's the rub, since the 4660 cannot downconvert the DD+ to DD, you either have to have DD+ support or you only get stereo. The Ultra 4640 had such a DD converter, but it's the only one.

Dan
post #11356 of 11866 Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
If it's a modern TV, just get a Streaming Stick+ and plug it into one of the TVs HDMI inputs. Then use the ARC to send DD+/Atmos to the receiver. There is just no excuse for a current, modern TV to not be able to send DD+ over the ARC.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11357 of 11866 Old 03-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
The Roku audio will certainly go back out via ARC if you connect directly to the TV. I can't say for sure that DD+ will though. The standard supports it, but not all TVs will do it. And that's the rub, since the 4660 cannot downconvert the DD+ to DD, you either have to have DD+ support or you only get stereo. The Ultra 4640 had such a DD converter, but it's the only one.

I have a Roku 4660 plugged into a 4K LG TV (UK6500AUA). Then, I have an HDMI out from the TV to a Sony Amp, STR-DH550. I get DD/DD+ from the 4660 to the amp with no problem. My Sony amp cannot handle HDR, so my Sony 4K Blu-ray player, UBP-X700, is plugged into both the TV and and the amp by HDMI cables.

The TV has a Digital Optical Out, but I don't need to use that, since the TV passes through ARC by way of the HDMI cable.

I used the Digital Optical Out on my previous HD TV, because that Samsung did not have ARC.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #11358 of 11866 Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Dan...

Thanks so much for the valuable advice. I use a Logitech Harmony to control everything which has much to do with why I route all devices through the Marantz, though I don't use it to control the Roku whose remote is WiFi direct rather than RF.

Jonathan
I use Harmony control via their hub and had this situation with my Roku Ultra before I upgraded my receiver as my old one did not support 4k.

I lived with audio to the receiver and video direct to display and just programmed my Harmony to change inputs as needed. Worked great.

I know my Harmony controls my Roku via pairing or IP....let's just say not IR. Not sure about yours. But having 4k all that time was worth it.

And again, the Harmony can make it seemless.

I had another setup where the streamer did not have digital audio out and my TV was one of the few that passed through dolby digital via its optical out so that may be an option. However many displays just pass thru stereo.

BJBBJB
post #11359 of 11866 Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I just got a Denon AVR-S540BT and am having a weird issue that I haven't been able to resolve...

I have my Roku Premiere plugged into one of the 4K HDMI slots and it's plugged in to USB on the TV so the Roku turns on when the TV turns on. Anyways - If I'm on another input it just auto switches to the Roku once the Roku is finished booting up. It also auto switches to the Roku when the Roku screensaver kicks on. So it seems to detect change of visual on that input and auto-switches to it... This is very annoying! I went into the Denon Video settings and turned everything off except for ARC support - so HDMI control is off. I have also turned off "1 touch support" on the Roku which is supposed to be their CEC solution, but it still auto-switches to the Roku at the same times. Am I missing a setting on the Denon (or the Roku)? Someone help, PLEASE!

thanks
post #11360 of 11866 Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Look at your TV as well for CEC settings you can disable just to get a handle on things.

Also, even though it may appear or even be claimed that ARC and CEC are independently controllable on a device, they often are not.

Again, just to see, begin by disabling all of it on all devices and turn things on until you can isolate the behavior.

I like CEC for my use even though there can be some anomalies. I primarily watch everything via the ROKU 4660 and don't mind having to switch inputs manually should I want to occasionally watch something else. Having the receiver turn on/off with the TV and stay on the ROKU input is sufficient for us as it makes for one button watching for my wife (and that is all that matters ).

I had one power control issue with a particular TV/AVR setup that was causing the AVR to turn on again after about 70 seconds from power off. I was able to readily isolate/reproduce and ROKU fixed it within a month. Not saying that is the norm but unless you can reproduce something it will likely never get fixed.

PS - I have my ROKUs connected to my AVR where I have them and directly to the TV (including USB power) with all CEC disabled on both devices where I don't. I do this so streaming stops when the TV is turned off and also allowing the use of the TV's sleep timer in the bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddass4444 View Post
Hello all,

I just got a Denon AVR-S540BT and am having a weird issue that I haven't been able to resolve...

I have my Roku Premiere plugged into one of the 4K HDMI slots and it's plugged in to USB on the TV so the Roku turns on when the TV turns on. Anyways - If I'm on another input it just auto switches to the Roku once the Roku is finished booting up. It also auto switches to the Roku when the Roku screensaver kicks on. So it seems to detect change of visual on that input and auto-switches to it... This is very annoying! I went into the Denon Video settings and turned everything off except for ARC support - so HDMI control is off. I have also turned off "1 touch support" on the Roku which is supposed to be their CEC solution, but it still auto-switches to the Roku at the same times. Am I missing a setting on the Denon (or the Roku)? Someone help, PLEASE!

thanks
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by rakstr; 03-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #11361 of 11866 Old 03-24-2019, 01:46 PM

Tried some of Inspector Lewis last night off Amazon. BBC 25mhz program. Have the audio setting in the ROKU manually selected to Dolby+/DTS NOT Auto.

None of the previous lip sync issues noted.
galonzo and naustin like this.
post #11362 of 11866 Old 03-26-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Tried some of Inspector Lewis last night off Amazon. BBC 25mhz program. Have the audio setting in the ROKU manually selected to Dolby+/DTS NOT Auto.

None of the previous lip sync issues noted.
Same here, watched an episode of Grand Tour on Amazon on my P+, and it is also a BBC production (but at 50Hz and 4KHDR, see attached), and had no sync issues either; my audio settings are also:
Audio Mode: Auto (DD+, DTS)
HDMI: DD+, DTS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_RokuVia203.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2544744  

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #11363 of 11866 Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Looking at the Roku streaming stick + since the Amazon Prime app on my UB820 player sucks. I understand the Roku passes Dolby Atmos. Is there any big difference (other than price) between Apple 4K TV and the Roku?
post #11364 of 11866 Old 03-28-2019, 11:15 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Looking at the Roku streaming stick + since the Amazon Prime app on my UB820 player sucks. I understand the Roku passes Dolby Atmos. Is there any big difference (other than price) between Apple 4K TV and the Roku?
No Dolby Vision from the stand alone Rokus. And of course it's lossy Atmos.

post #11365 of 11866 Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No Dolby Vision from the stand alone Rokus. And of course it's lossy Atmos.
My display doesn't have DV so no issue. When you state lossy, I don't have to change anything in my set up when I let my air decode?
post #11366 of 11866 Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
My display doesn't have DV so no issue. When you state lossy, I don't have to change anything in my set up when I let my air decode?
He means Amazon, Vudu, Netflix and others all use a version of Atmos that is sent via Dolby Digital Plus, a lossy codec, instead of the Dolby TrueHD Atmos used on Blu Ray discs. It doesn't matter what streaming device you use, they all use DD+/Atmos. But if you're streaming any local media, such as ripped Blu Ray or UHD movies, and you want the full lossless Atmos/DTS:X track, you need to look at the Nvidia Shield.
galonzo likes this.

Dan
post #11367 of 11866 Old 03-29-2019, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Dan...

LG TV's use WebOS which includes quite a selection of channels: https://isn.page.link/Q2Us

I'm using the ARC HDMI connected to the the Marantz and both DD and DD+ are passing through the Roku without any problems. Looking through the LG manual it states the ARC HDMI supporting the DD formats, though nothing about the optical audio output. So it appears were I to get the Ultra, I could plug it directly into the TV rather than the Marantz leaving the HDMI connected to the ARC port for audio pass through. The Marantz supports most DD formats though the LG has Atmos which won't be supported; not a big deal due to lack of content that uses Atmos.

As I said originally, the system is working nicely though having access to native 4K would be lovely.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
I use my Harmony remote with a Roku Ultra. The Ultra will accept IR remote commands, which is one of the reasons I bought it.
post #11368 of 11866 Old 03-29-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 227
If it helps, tons of people are having lip sync issues with Amazon Prime using AppleTV 4K too.

Workaround there is to turn off frame rate matching. But if you do that, you lose Dolby Vision on Netflix, so you have to constantly change settings due to the Amazon Prime defect.
galonzo likes this.
post #11369 of 11866 Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I use my Harmony remote with a Roku Ultra. The Ultra will accept IR remote commands, which is one of the reasons I bought it.
The ultra will also work over the network to control it. Which is how my Harmony remote and harmony hub controls my Ultra. That way I don't need to worry about any line of sight issues with IR.

post #11370 of 11866 Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
If it helps, tons of people are having lip sync issues with Amazon Prime using AppleTV 4K too.

Workaround there is to turn off frame rate matching. But if you do that, you lose Dolby Vision on Netflix, so you have to constantly change settings due to the Amazon Prime defect.
I have lip sync issues with Amazon Prime on Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Fire TV 4K and a Sony Blu Ray player. The ONLY way the issue clears up for me is to plug the streamer directly into the TV and NOT connect it through my Denon receiver first. I tried turning off frame rate matching but, at least for my system, it didn't help. The app built in to my Sony TV also is fine with no lip sync problem.
See The Light likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page