Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9807Likes

post #11431 of 11697 Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Seems this thread has gone dormant? Has anyone been updated for the new firmware yet?

Display: Vizio M55D0
Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11697 Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Does anyone get the know issue of stuttering on Amazon Prime Video with Roku's?
post #11433 of 11697 Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
@cdnscg , I don't have any stuttering while watching various movies/shows on APV; I use the Native refresh rate setting, FWIW
naustin likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11434 of 11697 Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9121 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I'm not having any stuttering issues from my Ultra or Streaming Stick + with Amazon content. I'm using 60P output.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
galonzo and naustin like this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11435 of 11697 Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I got audio stuttering about 10 minutes into Amazon/HBO GoT Sunday night and it stuck as an echo on all my Roku Ultra audio, until I did a Roku reboot.

Otherwise no Amazon video stutter with native refresh rate or w/o for me. Still on 9.0.0 4142 firmware.
galonzo likes this.
post #11436 of 11697 Old 05-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 87
is dolby vision going to be supported by roku?
just got vizio p quantum
hdguru7 likes this.
post #11437 of 11697 Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
is dolby vision going to be supported by roku?

just got vizio p quantum
My guess is yes eventually but I'm not sure if it'll be updated to existing Roku players or on new ones only.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #11438 of 11697 Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I hope that Roku does not include Dolby Vision on new models. I've always thought that HDR 10 looks better than Dolby Vision, at least on my Sony TV. That's why I often use my Roku Ultra instead of my Apple TV 4K, Fire Stick 4K or built-in Android TV apps.
I don't even have Dolby Vision on my TV, Sony 900E. I'm just looking at how these companies do things, and they add features all the time to sell more product. I agree kinda though because I don't have Dolby Vision I can't say 100% but HDR looks just incredible. I can't imagine DV being that much better.

galonzo and LDBetaGuy like this.
post #11439 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't even have Dolby Vision on my TV, Sony 900E. I'm just looking at how these companies do things, and they add features all the time to sell more product. I agree kinda though because I don't have Dolby Vision I can't say 100% but HDR looks just incredible. I can't imagine DV being that much better.

We have the Premiere+.
1. I don't think it can do verbal commands like FF xx seconds, RW xx seconds etc. even from the phone app. Can the Ultra model do that? We have been using Google home with Chromecast to do verbal commands when streaming YTTV.
2. I must've accidentally had some weird setting. Every time we push a button to change something on the Roku stream, a voice verbally repeats what we just did. Really annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #11440 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I hope that Roku does not include Dolby Vision on new models. I've always thought that HDR 10 looks better than Dolby Vision, at least on my Sony TV. That's why I often use my Roku Ultra instead of my Apple TV 4K, Fire Stick 4K or built-in Android TV apps.
Except that just shows you don't have your TV set up correctly.
Dolby Vision requires separate video settings than HDR10. It's an entirely different video mode on Sony TVs and DV looks appreciably better on my Sony. But I also have the video settings tuned for it.
aaronwt, rlb and bobby94928 like this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #11441 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Honestly, lack of Dolby Vision is my biggest gripe with Roku's. I definitely believe it is better in every way. Yes HDR10 is great but why not support them both? Why have they not supported it yet? I am guessing the next models (don't know when they come out) will indeed have it and I personally think that it would be a mistake not to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.
post #11442 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I know that Dolby Vision requires separate settings. I have a brand new Sony X950G that will automatically switch to Dolby Vision settings. It includes the option of Dolby Vision Light and Dolby Vision dark. Dolby Vision looks OK on my Sony, it's just that I personally PREFER how HDR10 looks. Other people prefer the look of Dolby Vision, and that's OK. Also I think some folks say that Dolby Vision is ALWAYS better than HDR 10 because that's what they've read and it has the name "Dolby" in it!

Again, seeing that this is the Roku forum, I'm simply stating that, FOR ME, I'm glad I can get HDR 10 via my Ultra and am not forced to use Dolby Vision.
"Dark" and "Light" aren't the only system settings. You need to adjust the other levels as well.

Because basically you're saying somthing like "I prefer the sound of MP3 to the CD original". HDR10 encodes are derived (downcoverted) from the Dolby Vision masters and often have compression issues and other artifacts, not to mention they're missing the metadata of the studio original.

post #11443 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
"Dark" and "Light" aren't the only system settings. You need to adjust the other levels as well.

Because basically you're saying somthing like "I prefer the sound of MP3 to the CD original". HDR10 encodes are derived (downcoverted) from the Dolby Vision masters and often have compression issues and other artifacts, not to mention they're missing the metadata of the studio original.
This post by Robert Zohn on the AV Nirvana web site contains some interesting facts about how Sony is doing their own version of "active HDR" with the current base standard HDR10 on all of the 2017 X1 Extreme processor TVs. He specifically mentions 2017 models, but I'm assuming it's the same for current year models.
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/hd...r-schemes.588/
galonzo likes this.
post #11444 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
This post by Robert Zohn on the AV Nirvana web site contains some interesting facts about how Sony is doing their own version of "active HDR" with the current base standard HDR10 on all of the 2017 X1 Extreme processor TVs. He specifically mentions 2017 models, but I'm assuming it's the same for current year models.
This is a little off topic for the Roku Owners thread, but in 2017 Sony hadn't yet publicly committed to Dolby Vision and Samsung's HDR10+ had more buzz as a free solution. Sony's X1 Extreme processor TVs all have Dolby Vision now.

Like Bear said, the new Rokus need Dolby Vision IMHO.
post #11445 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
This is a little off topic for the Roku Owners thread, but in 2017 Sony hadn't yet publicly committed to Dolby Vision and Samsung's HDR10+ had more buzz as a free solution. Sony's X1 Extreme processor TVs all have Dolby Vision now.

Like Bear said, the new Rokus need Dolby Vision IMHO.
Again off topic but at CES 2017 is when Sony stated support for DV on all X1E TVs. What they didn't commit to was "when" and that didn't happen until January 2018 when the firmware got wide release (and started the whole "Sony's special version of DV" fiasco).

Here's hoping for DV support on the Roku!
aaronwt and galonzo like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #11446 of 11697 Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Dolby Vision done ROKU's way?

No thanks.

They need to fix their firmware production process.
post #11447 of 11697 Old 05-07-2019, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am aware of the "active HDR" (which LG and pretty much every major company does). It's a AI based solution and it's an estimate, not actual scene-by-scene metadata solution. Again, the MP3 vs. uncompressed applies here, there are plenty of sound processors out there that strive to make lossy music sound "better". But it's still not quite as good as the original. Active HDR still can't compensate for compression issues which have cropped up with HDR10 layers that the DV layer cleans up, like on The Last Jedi, Saving Private Ryan or other DV discs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
This is a little off topic for the Roku Owners thread, but in 2017 Sony hadn't yet publicly committed to Dolby Vision and Samsung's HDR10+ had more buzz as a free solution.
HDR10+ isn't free, there's still a licensing and payment structure. It's just different than Dolby's.
It's also inferior since it's a computer pass solution and limited to 10-bit.
naustin likes this.

post #11448 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Questions regarding using the Roku and the Xfinity Stream app.

I've got three HD 4K Sony tv's in the house and 3 HD Comcast boxes. I'm paying about $25 per month for these rental boxes. I was considering getting rid of all of them and replacing them with the Roku Ultra and use the Xfinity Stream app instead.

Has any one been using this as a replacement like this? Is the app or the Roku menus fast enough (not that the Xfinity menus are all that fast).

Is there a way to power on the tv & Roku and have it go directly to the Xfinity app every time? Maybe never quitting the app within Roku? I use a Harmony Elite remote so I could probably program some sequences to get it started so that when my wife hits Watch TV, it would all boot up and go directly to the Xfinity service and she wouldn't know any difference.

Thoughts?

Comments?
Tweeter2002 likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-LX701
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, SVS SB3000 Subwoofer
MonsterPower HTS5100, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
post #11449 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 4112
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I've got three HD 4K Sony tv's in the house and 3 HD Comcast boxes. I'm paying about $25 per month for these rental boxes. I was considering getting rid of all of them and replacing them with the Roku Ultra and use the Xfinity Stream app instead.

Has any one been using this as a replacement like this? Is the app or the Roku menus fast enough (not that the Xfinity menus are all that fast).

Is there a way to power on the tv & Roku and have it go directly to the Xfinity app every time? Maybe never quitting the app within Roku? I use a Harmony Elite remote so I could probably program some sequences to get it started so that when my wife hits Watch TV, it would all boot up and go directly to the Xfinity service and she wouldn't know any difference.

Thoughts?

Comments?
I'd like to know about this also. I'm looking to see how the Ruku works with my Comcast Xfinity service.

Spoiler!
post #11450 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

Thoughts?

Comments?
No, there is no way to power up a Roku and have it launch a specific channel/app. It's been suggested on their forum, but Roku never acknowledges what they're working on.

Leaving the Roku on and the Xfinity app open is certainly one option. Your Elite could be programmed to do it as well, although it might be a little tedious to get it to work correctly every time. Assuming you are taking the Roku from a powered off state, you'd need timers to ensure it completes booting before any keypress sequences are initiated. You'd need to ensure you always start from a known screen position, so likely a Home button press (or two) to ensure it. I think it'd be fastest (and easiest) to just leave the Roku powered on and with the Xfinity app open.
RagtopFE likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11451 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Thoughts?

Comments?
The Xfinity app will close after several hours of inactivity when left in the menu/UI-leaving it on a live channel (if I can recall correctly), will keep it from closing. I haven't done that in a while though, so I'm not 100% certain.

You cannot dial to a specific channel, which makes old school channel hopping tedious. Pressing the right arrow, brings up a side channel list menu, which requires arrowing up or down to reach a desired channel. You can set a Favorites list, featuring the channels you use the most.

The tv listings guide cannot be scrolled thru at a high speed, scrolling too fast has caused the app to freeze up with a reboot of the Roku required.

Finally, for me, the Xfinity app needed a wifi repeater to load reliably without issue (in the room where I'm using it, furthest away from the router). None of the other apps had a problem. Once I got a repeater, I've had no connectivity issues since. So you'll need to check how well your router can handle the distances to the other rooms you'll want to use a Roku in.
RagtopFE likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #11452 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
No, there is no way to power up a Roku and have it launch a specific channel/app. It's been suggested on their forum, but Roku never acknowledges what they're working on.

Leaving the Roku on and the Xfinity app open is certainly one option. Your Elite could be programmed to do it as well, although it might be a little tedious to get it to work correctly every time. Assuming you are taking the Roku from a powered off state, you'd need timers to ensure it completes booting before any keypress sequences are initiated. You'd need to ensure you always start from a known screen position, so likely a Home button press (or two) to ensure it. I think it'd be fastest (and easiest) to just leave the Roku powered on and with the Xfinity app open.
I seem to recall a review of a Roku TV where the reviewer said that the TV could be be set to return to the activity that was active when the TV was powered off. Program code should be able to transfer over to the stand alone box.
post #11453 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
I seem to recall a review of a Roku TV where the reviewer said that the TV could be be set to return to the activity that was active when the TV was powered off. Program code should be able to transfer over to the stand alone box.
A Roku TV can be configured to start up on a specific input, i.e. OTA antenna, or one of the HDMI inputs. It can't start up any internal app/channel, even if that app was active when powered down.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11454 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 02:02 PM
UHD Addict

Juts put the app at the top of the list. Then anyone can easily select it without having to search for it.
tngiloy and galonzo like this.

post #11455 of 11697 Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Juts put the app at the top of the list. Then anyone can easily select it without having to search for it.
You absolutely can have it start on a specific app with the harmony hub and a google home if you have one. I think you may have to make an activity for each app launch, but it should start on that app. I did it with Netflix and Vudu using harmony hub and google home and a Roku ultra.
post #11456 of 11697 Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nielsen View Post
You absolutely can have it start on a specific app with the harmony hub and a google home if you have one. I think you may have to make an activity for each app launch, but it should start on that app. I did it with Netflix and Vudu using harmony hub and google home and a Roku ultra.
Yes. You should be able to do it since I can start specific apps directly from my Harmony remote. IN the touch screen area I have icons for dozens of apps.

post #11457 of 11697 Old 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Remote Central has several discrete Pronto hex codes for various apps.
post #11458 of 11697 Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM

I have a ROKU earned very low bar for them. Really low and totally earned by ROKU. Even for them this firmware roll out is on Fred Flintstone speed.
post #11459 of 11697 Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Don't know that there is or is not a firmware update being rolled out but I'd rather hear about what specific thing(s) you're looking to be added and/or fixed. I don't care to update firmware on ANY device unless there is something not working as I require. Too much opportunity for unintended consequences.

Is there something specific you're waiting on that ROKU has committed to provide? For my use there is not so they can take all the time in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
I have a ROKU earned very low bar for them. Really low and totally earned by ROKU. Even for them this firmware roll out is on Fred Flintstone speed.
post #11460 of 11697 Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Don't know that there is or is not a firmware update being rolled out but I'd rather hear about what specific thing(s) you're looking to be added and/or fixed. I don't care to update firmware on ANY device unless there is something not working as I require. Too much opportunity for unintended consequences.

Is there something specific you're waiting on that ROKU has committed to provide? For my use there is not so they can take all the time in the world
You imply wrongly of course that some how what we end users want has something to do with the way ROKU develops it's firwmare.

ROKU announced the release. The delay this time is long for even them.

Some part of that observation you think has something to do with what I want with my ROKU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page