Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9785Likes

post #11581 of 11673 Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
If you have a smart phone or tablet: install the Roku remote app. Plug earbuds/headphones into phone. Tap the headphone icon on the app’s remote screen, sound goes to phones headphone. I have Bluetooth headphones that are paired with IPhone 10r (has no headphone jack). When I tap headphone icon sound is routed to Bluetooth headphones. Seems like magic to me.
As I said, I am hearing impaired and I haven’t found a Bluetooth pair yet that give me loud enough sound. I guess it’s one of those “you have to experience it to know what I’m talking about” things.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 11673 Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
As I said, I am hearing impaired and I haven’t found a Bluetooth pair yet that give me loud enough sound. I guess it’s one of those “you have to experience it to know what I’m talking about” things.
Most likely there are some but are so expensive that us mere mortals can’t afford them. I assume you have tried over-the-ear models not ear buds.
post #11583 of 11673 Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Most likely there are some but are so expensive that us mere mortals can’t afford them. I assume you have tried over-the-ear models not ear buds.

Yes, many blue tooth devices are configured not to get loud enough. I have hearing loss from too much time on the flightline and have had good luck with a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro over the ear headphones. They do get very loud, but they are heavy and can get fatiguing to wear for an extended period of time.

Plantronics outlet store has them for a reasonable price.

https://pl.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...RoCvi0QAvD_BwE

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11584 of 11673 Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
You could buy an Ultra/w earphones from Best Buy or Walmart locally for less than a 100 USD and have return privileges. Earphones will run down the remote's battery pretty fast. I use Panasonic rechargeables myself for last night listening.
post #11585 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
I was a Roku fan. Have a TCL Roku 65-R615 TV, a Roku Ultra steamer along with the Premier Plus and 2 older Rokus streamers. Some may have seen my posts relating to my hearing impairment and needing headphones to really enjoy the program. I only have one now in MBR where TCL TV is. My daughter saw a Roku stick on the actual Roku Store website claiming it came with enhanced remote. If anyone has noticed, all pictures that I have seen hide the side where the headphone jack is but show the volume control buttons. So she thought it had the jack and ordered it for me for Father’s Day. She even ordered Premium JBL ear pods for $20 that you can get elsewhere for $7-$8. They were NOT used-not that the Roku Store had a check box for that.

We have both tried to return this to the seller in the 30 day satisfaction GUARANTEED period and BOTH get error messages using online return form (unable to process). Messaged RokuSupport on Twitter and they gave me a customer support phone number (which is very hard to find) which is vastly understaffed. I called and recording said I had approximately 13 minute wait. After THIRTY minutes, it said I had a 16 minute wait. I was cut off on Roku’s end shortly after that without ever speaking to anyone. Have messaged RokuSupport twice since that happened with no reply.

The moral to this long story is NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THE ROKU STORE. If you have an issue it probably won’t be resolved. I will NEVER buy a Roku product again and will go back to Apple TV who at least supports their customers. Sorry for long post but details are important. In case you are wondering why I don’t use the Apple phone app, either Roku or Apple has put a cap on the max volume when watching Roku apps and, with my hearing impairment, I just don’t get enough volume.
Maybe it's worth mentioning, private listening through the enhanced remote limits audience to one listener. Using the app on a phone can have up to 4 listeners with 4 phones connected but not while the remote has headphones plugged in. Maybe that works if you're in the bedroom listening by yourself; but that's the limit with the enhanced remote with headphones plugged in.

If you're interested in simultaneous listening, the TV audio output may the better solution if only one listener is hearing impaired. You can go wireless by Bluetooth if your TV offers that. There's likely an output that can be hooked into a wireless headphones that transmits to a wireless headset.

I use such a setup but it's high end and bulky too. Sennheiser RS 185 offers the open over the ear earpieces so it's not isolated for talking without removing headset (but you may have to pause though). Honestly, I wish I had gone high end with Bluetooth though; lately, I tend to use it more with in ear buds to avoid that bar over my head (and Bluetooth is more universal than a dedicated TV headset). But the Sennheiser was on sale when I got it and it's got huge drivers for the effects but still, it's niche for its expense. But consider connecting to the TV offers more listeners without limiting to an audience of one and changing inputs keeps you connected to whatever you're watching (every TV input is covered). My TV offers a audio passthrough so Bluetooth isn't limited to one listener but also the audio output is simultaneous by default.

Honestly, the TV sound is better than Roku private listening. Maybe just louder? But lip sync may also be off a tad with private listening as well. The louder and better experience is through the TV, IMO.

I called Roku support during normal hours Wednesday night and the wait was about 10 minutes. I did get that increased wait time warning with estimations increasing and decreasing. When it got to 7 estimated minutes remaining, my support agent was taking my call. The business hours for support are 6 AM PST until 9 PM PST, daily. (816) 272-8106

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo and naustin like this.
post #11586 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Thumbs down

Quote:
The moral to this long story is NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THE ROKU STORE. If you have an issue it probably won’t be resolved. I will NEVER buy a Roku product again and will go back to Apple TV who at least supports their customers. Sorry for long post but details are important. In case you are wondering why I don’t use the Apple phone app, either Roku or Apple has put a cap on the max volume when watching Roku apps and, with my hearing impairment, I just don’t get enough volume.

I do not like for my android cell phone to limit the volume level. And I don't need their "volume" warning every time I turn up the volume loud. F them! I'm an adult and don't need to be restricted by their programming or receive their warnings every time!!

As for my ears being hurt or damaged, the entire Fkng media delivery systems, of amps and TVs are just way behind what's necessary in the real world of watching stuff like You Tube and Roku channels... ALL OF WHICH HAVE DIFFERENT VOLUME LEVEL BASELINE FEEDS TO THE USER.

What I need my TV to do, and my amp also, mostly my TV to do, is, when I cut the TV/Roku off for the evening, I want to turn the damn thing off, period. So what I need the TV to do, is to turn back on at a preset volume that I have selected ---- JUST LIKE MY CAR AUDIO ALLOWS ME TO DO (Factory AM/FM CD player in a VW).

So if I pull up with the volume loud, and shut the radio off, when I get back in the car, maybe the next day, when I turn the radio on, it's not at the loud level left it on, put at the preset level, which is low. Then I can turn up the volume to what I want, depending on whether the source is radio or CD.

So if I've got the TV volume double what it would be for OTA, because I was watching something on Roku that required twice the volume of OTA, when I turn the TV back on the next day, I do not want to be shocked by a volume level that's too loud!!! THAT'S WHAT THE FEATURE TO HAVE A SET AUDIO VOLUME LEVEL UPON TURNING ON THE TV SHOULD DO --- BUT THE TV MFGS AND THEIR BRAINTRUST HAVEN'T FIGURED THAT OUT YET!!!

But I've got better things to do than make it my Life's mission to jump through the hoops and BS to make that happen.
rjhseven likes this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #11587 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Over the last few years I've discovered that many car manufacturers don't offer a start volume setting. I agree it's maddening. Also with VW, when you return to the radio after a phone call using BT, the volume would ramp back up to the previous setting, not immediately hit you with your last volume. Both my Subaru and now my Kia lack both functions, and I really miss them.
See The Light likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11588 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Hopefully Roku will do a new high end streamer with Dolby Vision this Fall. In the meantime, I'm planning on buying a second Dolby Vision streamer (FireTV Stick 4K) to go with my ATV4K. Like @brotony my Ultra is more convenient than my Apple but Dolby Vision is nice. I'm guessing for Prime Day the FireTV 4K Stick with Dolby Vision should be about 30 USD.
What did I say. FireTV 4K half price on Prime Day.

https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-r...me-day-deals-0
william06, tngiloy and brotony like this.
post #11589 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Maybe it's worth mentioning, private listening through the enhanced remote limits audience to one listener. Using the app on a phone can have up to 4 listeners with 4 phones connected but not while the remote has headphones plugged in. Maybe that works if you're in the bedroom listening by yourself; but that's the limit with the enhanced remote with headphones plugged in.

If you're interested in simultaneous listening, the TV audio output may the better solution if only one listener is hearing impaired. You can go wireless by Bluetooth if your TV offers that. There's likely an output that can be hooked into a wireless headphones that transmits to a wireless headset.

I use such a setup but it's high end and bulky too. Sennheiser RS 185 offers the open over the ear earpieces so it's not isolated for talking without removing headset (but you may have to pause though). Honestly, I wish I had gone high end with Bluetooth though; lately, I tend to use it more with in ear buds to avoid that bar over my head (and Bluetooth is more universal than a dedicated TV headset). But the Sennheiser was on sale when I got it and it's got huge drivers for the effects but still, it's niche for its expense. But consider connecting to the TV offers more listeners without limiting to an audience of one and changing inputs keeps you connected to whatever you're watching (every TV input is covered). My TV offers a audio passthrough so Bluetooth isn't limited to one listener but also the audio output is simultaneous by default.

Honestly, the TV sound is better than Roku private listening. Maybe just louder? But lip sync may also be off a tad with private listening as well. The louder and better experience is through the TV, IMO.

I called Roku support during normal hours Wednesday night and the wait was about 10 minutes. I did get that increased wait time warning with estimations increasing and decreasing. When it got to 7 estimated minutes remaining, my support agent was taking my call. The business hours for support are 6 AM PST until 9 PM PST, daily. (816) 272-8106

One purpose of private listening is to NOT have the TV playing at a very loud volume because others are sleeping while I watch. I called on a Wednesday at 2 pm. You would think that is not their busiest times. But to update, after I complained on social media got a call and expedited RMA # from RokuSupport. Still not happy but feel better about it.

Last edited by rjhseven; 07-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #11590 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One purpose of private listening is to NOT have the TV playing at a very loud volume because others are sleeping while I watch. I called on a Wednesday at 2 pm. You would think that is not their busiest times. But to update, after I complained on social media got a call and expedited RMA # from RokuSupport. Still not happy but feel better about it.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if private listening was your all around goal or not.

You or anyone else inclined to do so, correct me if I'm wrong again, but it appears Roku TVs do not currently allow Bluetooth headset to connect directly to TV. No physical output like RCA stereo audio jacks, coax or optical out either?

It all true, I'm inclined to agree that Roku TV is a poor choice if TV audio is your mode of operation. A feature I had in mind with my initial reply to you was my TV, by default, will make a Bluetooth headset private, defeating the audio out as you wish for late night viewing. On a per case exception, audio out can be toggled on to allow other listeners to join you while you're jamming away at desired volume. I'd be disappointed to find I couldn't do that with a Roku TV. But you could probably get around that with an HDMI connected AVR? Is there an HDMI out for AVR? No outputs would be a no-no for me.

post #11591 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You or anyone else inclined to do so, correct me if I'm wrong again, but it appears Roku TVs do not currently allow Bluetooth headset to connect directly to TV. No physical output like RCA stereo audio jacks, coax or optical out either?
I just checked my two Roku TVs. The 24" Insignia has optical out and a mini-phone jack. The 43" Sharp 4K set has optical out and also appears to have a mini-phone jack labeled Line Out. So it does appear that at least optical out is common with them.
brotony likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11592 of 11673 Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I just checked my two Roku TVs. The 24" Insignia has optical out and a mini-phone jack. The 43" Sharp 4K set has optical out and also appears to have a mini-phone jack labeled Line Out. So it does appear that at least optical out is common with them.
Thanks. Not a total loss but something to consider when buying these other named streamer inclusive TV sets.

Not sure, but maybe only the higher end TVs have been more inclusive with multiple options for audio? Buyer beware.

One last thought on private listening, I believe that any Roku TV or streamer that's capable of private listening via phone, will also be capable of private listening via a remote with the 3.5mm audio jack. Correct?

From what I gather on current remotes available in Roku store, only the enhanced voice remote has the audio jack for private listening but only those Rokus listed as voice compatible are listed as compatible with that enhanced remote (choosing solely for private listening will not gain a voice feature as a bonus where voice didn't already exist). The Roku site is explanatory for voice compatibility of the enhanced remote, but not so much private listening. I believe the Roku feature wiki is more detailed about remote private listening compatibility than Roku support. True? (Same question as above, clarified, actually).

rjhseven likes this.
post #11593 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

What I need my TV to do, and my amp also, mostly my TV to do, is, when I cut the TV/Roku off for the evening, I want to turn the damn thing off, period. So what I need the TV to do, is to turn back on at a preset volume that I have selected ---- JUST LIKE MY CAR AUDIO ALLOWS ME TO DO (Factory AM/FM CD player in a VW).
My Yamaha has that "preset volume" feature.
rjhseven and galonzo like this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #11594 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

One last thought on private listening, I believe that any Roku TV or streamer that's capable of private listening via phone, will also be capable of private listening via a remote with the 3.5mm audio jack. Correct?....

I believe the Roku feature wiki is more detailed about remote private listening compatibility than Roku support. True? (Same question as above, clarified, actually).

I don't think your statement is completely true, but I have not read or located the Wiki you referenced.

Yes, private phone (Roku App) listening is by Wifi over your local network but I am pretty sure the Enhanced earphone remote uses WiFi direct which is different.

Over the years, Roku has used various physical remote connection systems: radio frequency (RF), infrared (IR), and WiFi direct.

I think the Enhanced remote used with the Ultra is the last of the WiFi direct remotes since it costs more to produce on the base & remote units. Roku doesn't do a good job on specs in this area.
rjhseven likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 07-14-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #11595 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think your statement is true, but I have not read or located the Wiki you referenced.

Private phone listening is bluetooth which most if not all Rokus support.

Over the years, Roku has used various physical remote connection systems: radio frequency (RF), infrared (IR), and WiFi direct.

I think the Enhanced remote used with the Ultra is the last of the WiFi direct remotes since it costs more to produce on the base & remote units. Roku doesn't do a good job on specs in this area.
I did call Roku support about this and the initial answer was yes. But when when I pressed for confirmation and asked that the site explain this more clearly, the rep said he'd ask and send me a reply.

He did not. So I won't debate that. And I agree, Roku does not do a good job of specs on this area.

And I didn't find that wiki feature comparison when I was looking but had hoped someone could verify that. Perhaps you're right. I dunno and Roku wasn't much help either.

rjhseven likes this.
post #11596 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
My Yamaha has that "preset volume" feature.
My Sony Receiver does not have that preset volume feature... but the Sony Receiver does have a functionality that I wish that my LG TV had.....

When I Mute the Sony Receiver, I can lower the Volume Level WITHOUT THE VOLUME COMING BACK ON, until I press the Mute button to toggle the volume back on.

I WISH TO GOD THAT ALL TV MFGS WOULD HAVE THAT FUNCTIONALITY!!!

If the TV volume is too high from the last source watching, then I have to go another source (like a source for a device that's turned on) after I've hit the mute button, to then lower the volume there, before going back to the source I want to watch.

This should just be common sense for TV Mfgs. -- The last person to watch the TV, on whatever source, may have had the volume high. So then, the next person that sits down to watch the TV, on whatever source, gets blasted with loud volume. I'm ready to ask the Federal Govt. to come in and mandate this "ear safety" feature that the R&D people at the TV Mfgs. should have already figured out by now. Today's TV's are platforms for MANY different input sources, that each have a different baseline volume level!

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #11597 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the info but I’ve made myself aware of issues with hearing loss and when baby boomers age (my hearing loss was primarily hereditary), many will suffer from mild to severe hearing loss and the various industries will not be prepared despite all the available data NOW. Some folks are going to be super rich from serving the needs of a huge segment of population when so many are unprepared.

post #11598 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think your statement is true, but I have not read or located the Wiki you referenced.

Private phone listening is bluetooth which most if not all Rokus support.

I have 2 year old Ultra with the enhanced remote. During setup I could not get the remote to pair with the Ultra so I used my Harmony One IR remote to do the setup. Googled the problem. Turned out WiFi itself could be blocking the setup. I have a WiFi access point about 3 feet from Ultra, unplugged it & remote paired immediately. Plugged access point back in & remote continues to work. Leads me to believe Ultra is WiFi direct & also supports IR.
The Roku remote app for smartphones/tablets will work with any Roku model made in last 3 years including the $30 Express. The app supports headphones, microphone, & keyboard via the smartphone’s hardware.
galonzo and Karl Maga like this.
post #11599 of 11673 Old 07-13-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 2 year old Ultra with the enhanced remote. During setup I could not get the remote to pair with the Ultra so I used my Harmony One IR remote to do the setup. Googled the problem. Turned out WiFi itself could be blocking the setup. I have a WiFi access point about 3 feet from Ultra, unplugged it & remote paired immediately. Plugged access point back in & remote continues to work. Leads me to believe Ultra is WiFi direct & also supports IR.
The Roku remote app for smartphones/tablets will work with any Roku model made in last 3 years including the $30 Express. The app supports headphones, microphone, & keyboard via the smartphone’s hardware.
WiFi direct is the primary method with the Ultra but sounds like IR is also built into the main Ultra unit as a fall back. Roku really needs to list these things more clearly in their specs. I understand most people don't care or need the info but it shouldn't be a State Secret.
galonzo likes this.
post #11600 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@brotony After sleeping on it you are correct... Yes, the private phone (Roku App) listening is by Wifi over your local network but I am pretty sure the Enhanced earphone remote uses WiFi direct which is different. Whether the earphone feature will work on a non Wifi direct Roku unit will require someone actually testing. The basic remote functions will probably work because the remote should fall back to IR or RF.
post #11601 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WiFi direct is the primary method with the Ultra but sounds like IR is also built into the main Ultra unit as a fall back. Roku really needs to list these things more clearly in their specs. I understand most people don't care or need the info but it shouldn't be a State Secret.
I almost never use the Roku remote to control the Ultra, I use a Harmony One activity based remote which is IR only.
My AppleTv uses some type of RF but IR works just fine, same for my LG OLED TV. Of course a Roku Stick can’t use IR, a light beam can’t bend & reach around to the back of the TV. 😬 A lot of Directv boxes can use either IR or RF, they usually include IR remote because it cheaper & can be setup to also control the TV.
tngiloy likes this.
post #11602 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@brotony After sleeping on it you are correct... Yes, the private phone (Roku App) listening is by Wifi over your local network but I am pretty sure the Enhanced earphone remote uses WiFi direct which is different. Whether the earphone feature will work on a non Wifi direct Roku unit will require someone actually testing. The basic remote functions will probably work because the remote should fall back to IR or RF.
I agree. Someone able to test the theory would be ideal. And I appreciate your chiming in because the last thing we would want is to mislead someone into buying a remote and finding that private listening wouldn't work.

If someone could test this theory by pairing the enhanced remote to a Roku stick, that may help. Share your results, please.

I have the Roku 3 which already had a private listening remote. Would that test (enhanced voice remote paired with the Roku 3 for private listening only) completely or partially satisfy your suspicions? I don't have another Roku to test though... just the Ultra and Roku 3.

post #11603 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whether the earphone feature will work on a non Wifi direct Roku unit will require someone actually testing. The basic remote functions will probably work because the remote should fall back to IR or RF.
I just tested the Roku app on my iPhone with my Premiere, which does not support WiFi Direct and has an IR only remote. On the app I clicked the headphone icon and the sound immediately stopped coming from the TV. I didn't have headphones plugged into the phone, but I would expect that's where the audio was now. If you are wondering if an enhanced remote would work on my Premiere, I'm sure the IR portion of the remote would work, but there wouldn't be any ability for the headphone jack to work. For that to that function, you have to have a two way connection between the Roku and the remote. IR is one way only.

I also just tested voice control with the phone app. Remember that the Premiere does not come with a voice control remote. Voice control appears to work fine from the phone. Again, I wouldn't expect it to work with an enhanced remote because that too would require two way communication between the Roku and the remote, which can't be done with the IR remote.

Dan

Last edited by atc98092; 07-14-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #11604 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I just tested the Roku app on my iPhone with my Premiere, which does not support WiFi Direct and has an IR only remote. On the app I clicked the headphone icon and the sound immediately stopped coming from the TV. I didn't have headphones plugged into the phone, but I would expect that's where the audio was now. If you are wondering if an enhanced remote would work on my Premiere, I'm sure the IR portion of the remote would work, but there wouldn't be any ability for the headphone jack to work. For that to that function, you have to have a two way connection between the Roku and the remote. IR is one way only.

I also just tested voice control with the phone app. Remember that the Premiere does not come with a voice control remote. Voice control appears to work fine from the phone. Again, I wouldn't expect it to work with an enhanced remote because that too would require two way communication between the Roku and the remote, which can't be done with the IR remote.
The Roku remote app for smartphone works with Roku devices & TVs made in the last few years and the headphone icon works on all, according to Roku. The phone & the Roku have to be on the same local network because both use tcp/ip, both don’t have to be WiFi, my Ultra is hard wired via Ethernet cable & IPhone is normal WiFi.
galonzo likes this.
post #11605 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Same remote that came with my Roku Ultra supports private listening on that device and my TCL Roku TV 65-R615 if that answers any question. I got lost at WiFi direct (as opposed to WiFi.
brotony likes this.

post #11606 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Same remote that came with my Roku Ultra supports private listening on that device and my TCL Roku TV 65-R615 if that answers any question. I got lost at WiFi direct (as opposed to WiFi.
Your issues were what I had in mind for suggesting this to start with. Admittedly, it's not the best solution for you.

Thanks for testing and clarifying. Truly, that answers my question but waiting for others to chime in again. I'm sure that if more results are shared, this question gets answered best.

As far as having a Roku that doesn't meet your need within a return window, I hope you get that resolved to your satisfaction.

post #11607 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I'm surprised. My old Roku 3 that never had a voice remote works with my Ultra's enhanced remote for private listening and voice search.

Not only that, but my Roku 3 is still on Roku OS 8.1! Used voice to open Netflix and search content.

Updating now to test more. Ha! After update to Roku OS 9.1.0 Build 4111-04, I can still search content but trying to open an app by voice now gives me a system error. Pulled plug and now this thing is sluggish. Ok, seems to be working and no longer finding updates. The usual plug pulling after update still seems necessary.

Voice search is back to the usual.

Edit: but my Roku 3 did come with private listening remote. Just added that because I think there were multiple versions of the Roku 3 like the Roku Ultra. I also noted TV control and the setup is also present. Works too.

Talk about Roku site not being complete? The enhanced remote compatible devices doesn't include Roku 3. Nor does it mention compatible TVs. See screen grab.

Edllguy and naustin like this.

Last edited by brotony; 07-14-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #11608 of 11673 Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wi-Fi Direct, initially called Wi-Fi P2P, is a Wi-Fi standard enabling devices to easily connect with each other without requiring a wireless access point. Wi-Fi Direct allows two devices to establish a direct Wi-Fi connection without requiring a wireless router.
rdgcss and galonzo like this.
post #11609 of 11673 Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Ill throw in here and subscribe. I currently have 3 Roku in my house for watching Netflix, Comcast Cable streaming app, Amazon Prime, CBS All access (when Start Trek is on) and my Plex server media. I love them but wish they had a few things:

Better remotes. Light up in the dark (in my theater so I can see it). More buttons with common features.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #11610 of 11673 Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
Ill throw in here and subscribe. I currently have 3 Roku in my house for watching Netflix, Comcast Cable streaming app, Amazon Prime, CBS All access (when Start Trek is on) and my Plex server media. I love them but wish they had a few things:

Better remotes. Light up in the dark (in my theater so I can see it). More buttons with common features.
I agree a better remote would be nice, that is why I configure my Logitech Smart Hub with Companion Remote to control my 2 different Roku. The Smart Hub used Wifi Direct to control them.

How much do you think it would cost Roku to include a better remote and would you be willing to pay it?

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page