Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 406 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10443Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12151 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
As stated, version 9.2.0-4143 is now available for manual updating for my SS+ (3810)


Testing it now for HDCP/1080p/framerate/etc fallback/renegotiation issues...
Just updated my Ultra 4660 to 9.2.0 4143-46.

So far switching back to auto has kept my TV at 4K.

EDIT: see my newer posts. This is not fixed and and made my Roku worse.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 11-16-2019 at 07:27 PM.
kbmb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12152 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just updated my Ultra 4660 to 9.2.0 4143-46.



So far switching back to auto has kept my TV at 4K.
Do you use framerate auto switching?

That made a difference on my 4660 with auto detect and native framerate disabled. Stuck at 1080p on first test of 4K HDR. Same OS version as yours. So with framerate disabled, I tried again with display type set to native panel and got 4K HDR.

I don't know why some are having display type revert to auto detect and get stuck at 1080p. But mine didn't revert to auto when set to native panel settings: 4K HDR 60p.

Edit: made a bad error thinking I was on the same update and didn't correct this until a whole conversation had concluded. Sorry about that. I checked updates and just thought I was on latest. I'm still on Roku OS 9.2.0 build 4131-46!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by brotony; 11-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.
brotony is online now  
post #12153 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Do you use framerate auto switching?

That made a difference on my 4660 with auto detect and native framerate disabled. Stuck at 1080p on first test of 4K HDR. Same OS version as yours. So with framerate disabled, I tried again with display type set to native panel and got 4K HDR.

I don't know why some are having display type revert to auto detect and get stuck at 1080p. But mine didn't revert to auto when set to native panel settings: 4K HDR 60p.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I do not use frame rate switching. Prior to this version I had switched to 4K HDR and it stuck. After the update I switched back to auto and it detected 4K HDR fine and the display was actually 4K now. Did a reboot and so far it’s sticking with 4K.

I tried a 4K HDR movie on Vudu and everything was good.
kbmb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12154 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I do not use frame rate switching. Prior to this version I had switched to 4K HDR and it stuck. After the update I switched back to auto and it detected 4K HDR fine and the display was actually 4K now. Did a reboot and so far it’s sticking with 4K.

I tried a 4K HDR movie on Vudu and everything was good.
I just tested Vudu, MA, Netflix, Disney+, and ATV+ and all sending 4K HDR.

Only issue is the latest episode of See isn’t in HDR , but I think I read people were seeing issues with HDR on the latest episodes. For all mankind ep3 is fine. Not sure why Apple has so many issues with HDR.
galonzo likes this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12155 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I just tested Vudu, MA, Netflix, Disney+, and ATV+ and all sending 4K HDR.



Only issue is the latest episode of See isn’t in HDR , but I think I read people were seeing issues with HDR on the latest episodes. For all mankind ep3 is fine. Not sure why Apple has so many issues with HDR.
Thanks.

I haven't tested any Apple TV+. Not subscribed. I expected better since the Apple TV app worked so well with Roku. I may catch-up next year with a purchase, if that'll still be a thing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
brotony is online now  
post #12156 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Thanks.

I haven't tested any Apple TV+. Not subscribed. I expected better since the Apple TV app worked so well with Roku. I may catch-up next year with a purchase, if that'll still be a thing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Seems it’s a wide issue with all the new episodes this week on ATV+. I guess on Apple TV 4K that gets DV is only getting HDR on these episodes. It’s not a service issue as older episodes play in HDR fine.

Back to Roku so far auto with working on this release even after multiple reboots. I’ll report back tomorrow to see if it sticks overnight.
galonzo and brotony like this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12157 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just updated my Ultra 4660 to 9.2.0 4143-46.

So far switching back to auto has kept my TV at 4K.
Well just restarted entire setup and Roku changed back to 1080p. So back to forcing 4K.

And this update really messed things up. Now when my setup starts, the Sony TV never detects the Roku. This is worse than before. This update has basically made my Roku useless.

If I put it in Auto, the TV starts ok and I get to Roku, but it’s only displaying 1080p. If force 4K HDR it sticks fine until I turn off TV/AVR. On restart my Tv just sits on display screen. Only way to see Roku is pull the plug.

I guess it’s off to my ATV for now. Thanks Roku.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 11-16-2019 at 07:26 PM.
kbmb is offline  
post #12158 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Well just restarted entire setup and Roku changed back to 1080p. So back to forcing 4K.



And this update really messed things up. Now when my setup starts, the Sony TV never detects the Roku. This is worse than before. This update has basically made my Roku useless.



If I put it in Auto, the TV starts ok and I get to Roku, but it’s only displaying 1080p. If force 4K HDR it sticks fine until I turn off TV/AVR. On restart my Tv just sits on display screen. Only way to see Roku is pull the plug.



I guess it’s off to my ATV for now. Thanks Roku.
Try framerate and auto display detect?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
kbmb likes this.
brotony is online now  
post #12159 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Try framerate and auto display detect?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Ok, so this is interesting since I've never used framerate enabled before.

My setup is Roku Ultra, Sony X930E, Denon x2400h.
Apps tested: Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Prime, ATV+, Disney+ and Movies Anywhere.

So after the 9.2.0 4143-46 update here's what is happening for my Ultra when I turn off/on my entire setup (power off TV and AVR)

Display Auto, Framerate Disabled
TV detects Roku on startup - menus output in 1080p, while settings detect 4K HDR.
Playing 4K HDR content, TV displays 1080p HDR.

Display Auto, Framerate Enabled
TV detects Roku on startup - menus output in 1080p, while settings detect 4K HDR.
Playing 4K HDR content, TV displays 4K HDR.
Playing 1080p content, TV displays 4K HDR.
When content is not playing, TV switches back to output 1080p
NOTE: most apps work fine, however Netflix refuses to switch to 4K or 4K HDR ever. Sometimes in Vudu it won't switch the TV to 4K and instead do 1080p/24p.

Display forced 4K HDR 60Hz, Framerate Disabled or Enabled
TV does NOT detect Roku on startup - TV displays the HDMI 2 screen with No signal.
Have to pull power on Roku with TV/AVR on to get it to have TV detect Roku.


Of course having Framerate enabled causing the typical screen flashing, etc.

Thanks Roku for having me sit here and test this crap after your update!
jherring69, galonzo and brotony like this.

Last edited by kbmb; 11-16-2019 at 09:15 PM.
kbmb is offline  
post #12160 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Ok, so this is interesting since I've never used framerate enabled before.



My setup is Roku Ultra, Sony X930E, Denon x2400h.

Apps tested: Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, Prime, ATV+, Disney+ and Movies Anywhere.



So after the 9.2.0 4143-46 update here's what is happening for my Ultra when I turn off/on my entire setup (power off TV and AVR)



Display Auto, Framerate Disabled

TV detects Roku on startup - menus output in 1080p, while settings detect 4K HDR.

Playing 4K HDR content, TV displays 1080p HDR.



Display Auto, Framerate Enabled

TV detects Roku on startup - menus output in 1080p, while settings detect 4K HDR.

Playing 4K HDR content, TV displays 4K HDR.

Playing 1080p content, TV displays 4K HDR.

When content is not playing, TV switches back to output 1080p

NOTE: all apps work fine, however Netflix refuses to switch to 4K or 4K HDR.



Display forced 4K HDR 60Hz, Framerate Disabled or Enabled

TV does NOT detect Roku on startup - TV displays the HDMI 2 screen with No signal.

Have to pull power on Roku with TV/AVR on to get it to have TV detect Roku.





Of course having Framerate enabled causing the typical screen flashing, etc.



Thanks Roku for having me sit here and test this crap after your update!
That's rough. I'll have to check Netflix again, myself.

Have you tried a shorter HDMI cable? I've got one coming tomorrow. Ordered a 3 foot cable since Roku suggested a shorter cable for HDCP 2.2 errors.

I've also seen my TV input indicating 1080p until I play 4K HDR content. After I exited the HDR content, the output was still pushing HDR TV settings in menus until I played SDR content. Something isn't the same. I need to check that again, toggling the auto recovery in secret menu. IDK if that's what changed or the update? I suspect the update.

Whatever Roku is trying to do, it's not working for you. And I'm seeing lots of transitions in YouTube, playing music videos. Both songs may be 24p video but the screen transitions anyway. For what? Both are also SDR. And the transition may also lose some audio beats with he transition.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is online now  
post #12161 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
That's rough. I'll have to check Netflix again, myself.

Have you tried a shorter HDMI cable? I've got one coming tomorrow. Ordered a 3 foot cable since Roku suggested a shorter cable for HDCP 2.2 errors.

I've also seen my TV input indicating 1080p until I play 4K HDR content. After I exited the HDR content, the output was still pushing HDR TV settings in menus until I played SDR content. Something isn't the same. I need to check that again, toggling the auto recovery in secret menu. IDK if that's what changed or the update? I suspect the update.

Whatever Roku is trying to do, it's not working for you. And I'm seeing lots of transitions in YouTube, playing music videos. Both songs may be 24p video but the screen transitions anyway. For what? Both are also SDR. And the transition may also lose some audio beats with he transition.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I edited my post to say I’ve had Vudu also stick in 1080p unless I backed out to the Vudu menu and played the movie again to get it to switch to 4K.

I’ll have to check to see if I have any 3ft cables. Regardless, it’s definitely something Roku did in this latest update. The previous update only had the issue where I needed to force 4K. But that stuck fine and I didn’t have issues turning my system ok. Only after tonight’s update did all these problems start.

Sucks that the new season of The Crown starts tomorrow and Netflix is the one app never switching to 4K. Guess for now I’ll have to manually switch to 4K in the Roku settings and then switch back to auto before turning things off. Fun!

I’ve had that HDR issue in the Vudu app on my Roku for forever. Many times when exiting an HDR movie, the Roku will stick in HDR in the menus. I’ll have to go back into and out of the movie to try to trigger it to switch to SDR.

I did post my tests over in the Roku forums for what that’s worth ;-)
galonzo and brotony like this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12162 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
@kbmb
I didn't see the 1080p at startup today. And auto recovery enabled or disabled made no difference.

Netflix is working as expected: HDR 4K 60p. Switches display to SDR 2160p when exiting content.

It's Amazon where I'm seeing the HDR get enabled for HDR but exiting content leaves the display settings at 4K HDR 24p in the Amazon UI. Drops to SDR 2160p when leaving AP. Went back in tried again, same thing. This time tried SDR content at 50p. TV settings correct; not stuck in HDR. Exit content and TV display still shows SDR 50p in Amazon UI. Again, auto recovery makes no difference in results.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
kbmb and galonzo like this.
brotony is online now  
post #12163 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
@kbmb
I didn't see the 1080p at startup today. And auto recovery enabled or disabled made no difference.

Netflix is working as expected: HDR 4K 60p. Switches display to SDR 2160p when exiting content.

It's Amazon where I'm seeing the HDR get enabled for HDR but exiting content leaves the display settings at 4K HDR 24p in the Amazon UI. Drops to SDR 2160p when leaving AP. Went back in tried again, same thing. This time tried SDR content at 50p. TV settings correct; not stuck in HDR. Exit content and TV display still shows SDR 50p in Amazon UI. Again, auto recovery makes no difference in results.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
So you have Display auto and frame rate enabled? And you are on the latest FW? If so interesting that you are getting 4K in Netflix. No matter what I tried it wouldn’t switch with Auto and frame rate on for me.

And when Vudu has the HDR stick for me, it stays even when leaving the app. Makes everything look pretty awful

For what it’s worth, I can switch my Roku manually into 4K HDR with Framerate off and everything works fine......as long as I don’t turn my system off. That’s when it doesn’t detect when turning back on unless I pull the power on the Roku. Wish there was a HarmonY command to reboot the Roku, then I would like my display and AVR come up and then send a reboot command and have everything work. Maybe that command is a good old power strip for just the Roku
galonzo likes this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12164 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
@kbmb
I didn't see the 1080p at startup today. And auto recovery enabled or disabled made no difference.

Netflix is working as expected: HDR 4K 60p. Switches display to SDR 2160p when exiting content.

It's Amazon where I'm seeing the HDR get enabled for HDR but exiting content leaves the display settings at 4K HDR 24p in the Amazon UI. Drops to SDR 2160p when leaving AP. Went back in tried again, same thing. This time tried SDR content at 50p. TV settings correct; not stuck in HDR. Exit content and TV display still shows SDR 50p in Amazon UI. Again, auto recovery makes no difference in results.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Another update - I previously wasn't running any screensaver. So I decided to switch everything back: Display forced to 4K HDR 60Hz, and Framerate disabled. But this time I enabled the 4K screen saver and set the timer to 1 minute. I shut my system off and waited for the front light on the Roku to go out, signaling that the screensaver was active. I turned my system on and voila, everything worked. The TV picked up the Roku display and was in 4K mode.

So, maybe this is a work around for now.

Are you running a screen saver?
galonzo likes this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12165 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
So you have Display auto and frame rate enabled? And you are on the latest FW? If so interesting that you are getting 4K in Netflix. No matter what I tried it wouldn’t switch with Auto and frame rate on for me.



And when Vudu has the HDR stick for me, it stays even when leaving the app. Makes everything look pretty awful



For what it’s worth, I can switch my Roku manually into 4K HDR with Framerate off and everything works fine......as long as I don’t turn my system off. That’s when it doesn’t detect when turning back on unless I pull the power on the Roku. Wish there was a HarmonY command to reboot the Roku, then I would like my display and AVR come up and then send a reboot command and have everything work. Maybe that command is a good old power strip for just the Roku
Yes to all. (Edit: I was wrong about the update; Roku OS 9.2.0 build 4131-46 is mine, currently) And I've got my Roku on a smart power strip that cycles with my sleep routine each night though my echo. I command the Roku back on verbally with the echo when I'm ready for it. IDK if I'm masking any wake errors that way or not. The Roku is usually booting when I go to that input.

My ATV4K is left on all the time but still on smart strip if I want to power cycle it. The ATV4K has been bullying the HDMI-CEC although it's off in the TV settings. I had the 3 foot HDMI cable on it and 6 foot HDMI on the Roku. I swapped them to see if that made any difference. Only just did it but when I switched activity from ATV4K to Roku, the ATV4K didn't turn the TV off this time.

Another thing I often have to do is unplug TV and drain power circuit with HDMI cables removed. I've been seeing the ATV4K stop and blackout display after content starts. For the moment, that's fixed too; I did that with the HDMI cable swap just now too.

Only thing I noticed different with Roku is that it starts the song quicker with less or no beats lost between songs. I restarted a few to check. Better, but how long before things return to the way way they were? Be nice if that makes a long term difference. I'd like better solutions too. Really nice if the cable length was a solution for me. Doubt it lasts. But worth a try.

Another thing I just noticed is Tennis TV app didn't hangup the UI and cause a reboot on a key sequence I could replicate often at will.

I checked Vudu and it appears normal with HDR dropping to SDR 60p when exiting 4K HDR 24p. Tried it a few times.

A smart plug or strip may be a temporary workaround but shouldn't have to be. Maybe a shorter cable helps but the cable swap may be temporary. I'll go with it and see if it lasts. Ha. I just ordered a mounting bracket and shorter cables for my ATV4K. Oh well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
kbmb likes this.

Last edited by brotony; 11-16-2019 at 11:32 PM.
brotony is online now  
post #12166 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Another update - I previously wasn't running any screensaver. So I decided to switch everything back: Display forced to 4K HDR 60Hz, and Framerate disabled. But this time I enabled the 4K screen saver and set the timer to 1 minute. I shut my system off and waited for the front light on the Roku to go out, signaling that the screensaver was active. I turned my system on and voila, everything worked. The TV picked up the Roku display and was in 4K mode.



So, maybe this is a work around for now.



Are you running a screen saver?
I'm using the Roku rain screensaver. It showed up with the Roku OS 9.2 update. I thought that was the default screensaver?

Edit: Also, my home just changed to the Disney Avengers Endgame promo theme today.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is online now  
post #12167 of 12633 Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
@kbmb

Sorry. I checked for updates and thought I was on the latest update. My 4660 is on Roku OS 9.2.0 build 4131-46

It's been more than 2 weeks since my last update.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is online now  
post #12168 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Yes to all. (Edit: I was wrong about the update; Roku OS 9.2.0 build 4131-46 is mine, currently) And I've got my Roku on a smart power strip that cycles with my sleep routine each night though my echo. I command the Roku back on verbally with the echo when I'm ready for it. IDK if I'm masking any wake errors that way or not. The Roku is usually booting when I go to that input.

My ATV4K is left on all the time but still on smart strip if I want to power cycle it. The ATV4K has been bullying the HDMI-CEC although it's off in the TV settings. I had the 3 foot HDMI cable on it and 6 foot HDMI on the Roku. I swapped them to see if that made any difference. Only just did it but when I switched activity from ATV4K to Roku, the ATV4K didn't turn the TV off this time.

Another thing I often have to do is unplug TV and drain power circuit with HDMI cables removed. I've been seeing the ATV4K stop and blackout display after content starts. For the moment, that's fixed too; I did that with the HDMI cable swap just now too.

Only thing I noticed different with Roku is that it starts the song quicker with less or no beats lost between songs. I restarted a few to check. Better, but how long before things return to the way way they were? Be nice if that makes a long term difference. I'd like better solutions too. Really nice if the cable length was a solution for me. Doubt it lasts. But worth a try.

Another thing I just noticed is Tennis TV app didn't hangup the UI and cause a reboot on a key sequence I could replicate often at will.

I checked Vudu and it appears normal with HDR dropping to SDR 60p when exiting 4K HDR 24p. Tried it a few times.

A smart plug or strip may be a temporary workaround but shouldn't have to be. Maybe a shorter cable helps but the cable swap may be temporary. I'll go with it and see if it lasts. Ha. I just ordered a mounting bracket and shorter cables for my ATV4K. Oh well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I'm using the Roku rain screensaver. It showed up with the Roku OS 9.2 update. I thought that was the default screensaver?

Edit: Also, my home just changed to the Disney Avengers Endgame promo theme today.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
@kbmb

Sorry. I checked for updates and thought I was on the latest update. My 4660 is on Roku OS 9.2.0 build 4131-46

It's been more than 2 weeks since my last update.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of this! Well I checked this morning and sure enough, setting the screensaver worked! The Roku is still forced to 4K HDR 60 and Framerate disabled. When I turned on the TV, I saw the screensaver and had a brie flash on the TV display. Prior to this, I always had the screensaver disabled. So something in this latest update did something that effects my setup, but at least turning the screensaver on works.

Interesting about the smart power strip - let me know what you are using, I might consider that in the future. I have a problem in my setup with my ATV, where if I run it through my AVR first, it will often have HDCP issues the next day (blacking out), unless it's rebooted. Tried everything, but ended up going with the ATV directly into the TV and Optical back out to the AVR - not ideal, but since I only have 5.1 not the end of the world. Might consider a smart strip in this case to work with Alexa and Harmony.

It's getting to the point where it seems everything needs a damn restart everyday to make sure everyone is happy!

I am using one of the Winter themes on my Roku (the one with the falling snow) just as a reference.

Again, everything was working fine (but having to force 4K HDR 60) on the prior update which I'm guessing was your 4131-46.
galonzo and brotony like this.
kbmb is offline  
post #12169 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
It's getting to the point where it seems everything needs a damn restart everyday to make sure everyone is happy!
One of the advantages of getting a stick/USB powered model is that if you connect it to USB-on-power-on port on the TV/AVR/device (as opposed to the provided AC-USB adapter) is that it gets a restart every time you turn the TV/system on - thus avoiding/limiting all the memory leak/heap/resource allocation/mode switching/etc issues that happen over session time, especially with all the frequent firmware/app updates.

This in fact was one of the primary considerations I had when I decided on a SS+ instead of an Ultra (along with its increased easy of portability/low profile) - with my previous AC-powered Rokus I was having to restart them at least half the time I used them anyway (for one reason or another) - easier to not have to do that and have a fresh session every time I turned on the TV/HTS thus leading to much better immediate on-demand session stability/usability.
rakstr and galonzo like this.
LG8600User is offline  
post #12170 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I do this as well in bedrooms and my office (Stick+). An added benefit is that all streaming ends when the TV goes off. Now the TV sleep timer "really works"

Unfortunately I've go 2 older TVs that don't power down the USB port

I do use Ultras in my main rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
One of the advantages of getting a stick/USB powered model is that if you connect it to USB-on-power-on port on the TV/AVR/device (as opposed to the provided AC-USB adapter) is that it gets a restart every time you turn the TV/system on - thus avoiding/limiting all the memory leak/heap/resource allocation/mode switching/etc issues that happen over session time, especially with all the frequent firmware/app updates.

This in fact was one of the primary considerations I had when I decided on a SS+ instead of an Ultra (along with its increased easy of portability/low profile) - with my previous AC-powered Rokus I was having to restart them at least half the time I used them anyway (for one reason or another) - easier to not have to do that and have a fresh session every time I turned on the TV/HTS thus leading to much better immediate on-demand session stability/usability.
rakstr is offline  
post #12171 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
My Roku Ultra and Sharp/Roku TV now have a Disney+ bug in the lower left corner.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #12172 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Ozzzzzz
HuskerHarley is offline  
post #12173 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 389
@kbmb
I've got 2 smart strips and 2 smart plugs. All different brands. The one thing I've kept is app compatibility with Smart Life by Tuya Inc.

I may be getting a SmartThings hub to better integrate my outside lights with Ring Inc camera motion on a local hub if that happens. My advice would be to get what's compatible with your smart home. Harmony integrates with Amazon and and Google Assistant but not Smart Life (last I checked anyway).

Like I said, I manually power up the Roku as needed with an Alexa command. At least I don't have to get up to do that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
kbmb likes this.
brotony is online now  
post #12174 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,307
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
My Roku Ultra and Sharp/Roku TV now have a Disney+ bug in the lower left corner.
While the content is playing? Like a channel bug you'd see on a cable/sat channel?
Keenan is online now  
post #12175 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
While the content is playing? Like a channel bug you'd see on a cable/sat channel?

Its a Disney+ theme (sans-Avengers from yesterday).
LG8600User is offline  
post #12176 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,307
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
Its a Disney+ theme (sans-Avengers from yesterday).
Sorry, I don't know what that means.
Keenan is online now  
post #12177 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,743
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
While the content is playing? Like a channel bug you'd see on a cable/sat channel?
Not yet. I'm guessing D+ is doing their best to get the word out.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #12178 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,307
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
Its a Disney+ theme (sans-Avengers from yesterday).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Not yet. I'm guessing D+ is doing their best to get the word out.
Okay, I just looked at my Ultra and it's a Roku home page ad.
Keenan is online now  
post #12179 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 03:29 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,251
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9545 Post(s)
Liked: 6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
One of the advantages of getting a stick/USB powered model is that if you connect it to USB-on-power-on port on the TV/AVR/device (as opposed to the provided AC-USB adapter) is that it gets a restart every time you turn the TV/system on - thus avoiding/limiting all the memory leak/heap/resource allocation/mode switching/etc issues that happen over session time, especially with all the frequent firmware/app updates.

This in fact was one of the primary considerations I had when I decided on a SS+ instead of an Ultra (along with its increased easy of portability/low profile) - with my previous AC-powered Rokus I was having to restart them at least half the time I used them anyway (for one reason or another) - easier to not have to do that and have a fresh session every time I turned on the TV/HTS thus leading to much better immediate on-demand session stability/usability.
Or just dont reboot. The only time my ultra or streaming stick+ gets rebooted is from a software update. They will both happily run for months with no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #12180 of 12633 Old 11-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Okay, I just looked at my Ultra and it's a Roku home page ad.

No, its a Disney+ theme - Settings/Theme (set to Disney+)


Settings/Theme/Browse themes to change it.
Keenan likes this.
LG8600User is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off