post #301 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
There's no reason to suppose that Zidoo will be working on anything to do with Kodi - they stopped support for ZDMC, their own port, at v17.6.1 in April last year.

ZDMC was previously deprecated and replaced with HT2 in January last year and this is why it is no longer included on the later boxes.

If you want Kodi, this isn't the box for you - the Shield or a Vero 4K+, the latter enjoying much better support, would be a much better choice.

I've already got a Shield running KODI (and currently use the Zidoo to play 3D movies off external hard drives). But that's beside the point, IMO.

The point is I could use the Zidoo to do EVERYTHING if it was tweaked a bit and the bugs fixed (and it's nice to have a backup if something went wrong with the other box). I mean you saying it's not for use with KODI is absurd. It's on the Google Play store. It worked with KODI 17.6. Zidoo is not just sold to run one program for god's sake. They need to fix their hardware so that Android programs run properly. PERIOD. SMB doesn't even work right with HT 2.0. It has to use NFS to read anything off the network. That's kind of limiting. Leia has SMB1-3 built in. Even FireTV works properly now with SMB3.

I would have just left 17.6 on there as a backup, but 17.6 can't use SMB3 and so Windows 10 can't be used as a server without forcing it to run a security risk (SMB1). Leia 18.3 uses SMB3. I just set it up so whether I boot into my Mac Mojave partition or my Windows 10 one on my Mac Mini server, all the KODI boxes continue to run regardless (they couldn't care less as long as the fixed address is the same and it can access the drives. I used MacDrive on Windows 10 to read any Mac drives and Tuxera on the Mac to read/write NTFS. It works great. Leia even brought back ProjectM visuals for music. I tried to install ProjectM from the GooglePlay store like I have installed on my FireTV from the Amazon store for 17.6 and it just crashes the same way. In other words, it seems the Zidoo isn't proper Android at all.

I've been recommending the Zidoo for 3D movies here and elsewhere, but I'm starting to rethink the whole thing as it's definitely a one-shot wonder. It's a shame that Nvidia didn't support 3D as it's the only thing it's missing, really on the Shield.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I've already got a Shield running KODI (and currently use the Zidoo to play 3D movies off external hard drives). But that's beside the point, IMO.

The point is ...

It does what it's designed to do very well. Just because it doesn't do what you want it to do doesn't mean it should.

As I said, quite respectfully I thought, if you want Kodi, this isn't the box for you.

Jumping up and down about it won't change that.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #303 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does what it's designed to do very well. Just because it doesn't do what you want it to do doesn't mean it should.

As I said, quite respectfully I thought, if you want Kodi, this isn't the box for you.

Jumping up and down about it won't change that.
What is it designed to do, praytell? I wasn't aware it was advertised for doing just one thing. The box advertises many apps it can run. That's my point Your point seems to be to make excuses for the product. You can say it as respectfully as you want, but that doesn't make what you say right. The "this isn't the box for you" part comes off as particularly nasty to me given how it's marketed. Zidoo is marketed as being a one box does all media player, not as a one box just plays 3D movies off an external hard drive ONLY box. It should be fixed and you should stop making excuses for a broken product. Imagine if Denon said, well, the 8500 is only for playing FM radio. If you want to do Atmos, it isn't for you (while being marketed as being for everything on the box). Ridiculous assertions. Absolutely ridiculous. You can call that jumping up and down or whatever derogatory term you clearly want to use, but you're still wrong and frankly I don't like your attitude so let's just end it there. I'll talk about it with someone else that gives a crap about the product.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

The point is I could use the Zidoo to do EVERYTHING if it was tweaked a bit and the bugs fixed (and it's nice to have a backup if something went wrong with the other box). I mean you saying it's not for use with KODI is absurd. It's on the Google Play store. It worked with KODI 17.6. Zidoo is not just sold to run one program for god's sake. They need to fix their hardware so that Android programs run properly. PERIOD. SMB doesn't even work right with HT 2.0. It has to use NFS to read anything off the network. That's kind of limiting. Leia has SMB1-3 built in. Even FireTV works properly now with SMB3.

I would have just left 17.6 on there as a backup, but 17.6 can't use SMB3 and so Windows 10 can't be used as a server without forcing it to run a security risk (SMB1). Leia 18.3 uses SMB3. I just set it up so whether I boot into my Mac Mojave partition or my Windows 10 one on my Mac Mini server, all the KODI boxes continue to run regardless (they couldn't care less as long as the fixed address is the same and it can access the drives. I used MacDrive on Windows 10 to read any Mac drives and Tuxera on the Mac to read/write NTFS. It works great. Leia even brought back ProjectM visuals for music. I tried to install ProjectM from the GooglePlay store like I have installed on my FireTV from the Amazon store for 17.6 and it just crashes the same way. In other words, it seems the Zidoo isn't proper Android at all.

I've been recommending the Zidoo for 3D movies here and elsewhere, but I'm starting to rethink the whole thing as it's definitely a one-shot wonder. It's a shame that Nvidia didn't support 3D as it's the only thing it's missing, really on the Shield.
In the Zidoo forums they explain that Kodi is not authorized to run on the Zidoos. That is why they only run a Kodi fork. They explain that Kodi officially is only to be run on certain Android devices and that is it. Zidoo is NOT one of them. Even the Vero is running a fork, not Kodi.

That does not mean you can't sideload it. It's a huge PITA to do it but it can be done.
post #305 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
In the Zidoo forums they explain that Kodi is not authorized to run on the Zidoos. That is why they only run a Kodi fork. They explain that Kodi officially is only to be run on certain Android devices and that is it. Zidoo is NOT one of them. Even the Vero is running a fork, not Kodi.

That does not mean you can't sideload it. It's a huge PITA to do it but it can be done.
It's not that big of a deal to sideload it (I just put the APK on a USB stick and load it; I've done that to move certain files and updates like the firmware as well since it's network support sucks, to say the least). But the question is whether it will work even if I do sideload it. Krypton worked fine regardless where I loaded it (store or otherwise). But Leia crashes with unknown error after about 5 seconds (and it's weird since everything seems ok during that 5 seconds; you can move around and select the menus). I had a similar problem with the Android "ProjectM" app I bought on GooglePlay. It just crashed and crashed. They gave me a refund.

Kodi probably isn't authorized to do a lot of things. The developers are well known to be problem-children, so-to-speak. They even go after their own...often. Who cares what's good for the consumer. It's all about their egos from my own experiences on their forums. They'll insult you to your face all they want and say something back, no matter how true? I'm on a lifetime 9/10 warning for saying something to one whose first language wasn't English and he didn't understand what this guy was trying to tell him (in English) and was laying into him like he was a moron when it was clear to me it was a language issue. They banned their own document maintainer for doing the right thing (stopping one of the nastier developers from changing another's developer's changes without his permission or something to that effect). Awful people. Just awful. If it wasn't the only game in town, I'd be using something else....

The only reason I don't use the HT 2.0 interface for 'everything' is that it only seems to have that one "Wall" interface, which is great for a couple hundred movies, but when you get up to a thousand or more it can be a royal PITA to find something. KODI simply has a better interface with many skin options to get it to look the way you want, not just one way. Plus HT 2.0 can only recognize my NFS mounts here (and that's just with HT 2.0, not the ZDMC build, which can read the directories, but can't start the player). SMB is broken completely. This makes Zidoo pretty worthless over the network, but I always had trouble playing 3D movies over the Network anyway (much larger files). SMB3 might let larger files (say full size MakeMKV dumps instead of Handbrake encodes) work better in KODI now too (more testing I need to do since upgrading everything to Leia and SMB3).

I never understood with the X9S has two USB 2.0 ports on on it. They seem to work OK for playback (I'll get a skip/blank once in a blue moon), but there's a USB 3.0 port on there. Why not three USB 3.0 ports? It's very strange....

post #306 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not that big of a deal to sideload it (I just put the APK on a USB stick and load it; I've done that to move certain files and updates like the firmware as well since it's network support sucks, to say the least). But the question is whether it will work even if I do sideload it. Krypton worked fine regardless where I loaded it (store or otherwise). But Leia crashes with unknown error after about 5 seconds (and it's weird since everything seems ok during that 5 seconds; you can move around and select the menus). I had a similar problem with the Android "ProjectM" app I bought on GooglePlay. It just crashed and crashed. They gave me a refund.

Kodi probably isn't authorized to do a lot of things. The developers are well known to be problem-children, so-to-speak. They even go after their own...often. Who cares what's good for the consumer. It's all about their egos from my own experiences on their forums. They'll insult you to your face all they want and say something back, no matter how true? I'm on a lifetime 9/10 warning for saying something to one whose first language wasn't English and he didn't understand what this guy was trying to tell him (in English) and was laying into him like he was a moron when it was clear to me it was a language issue. They banned their own document maintainer for doing the right thing (stopping one of the nastier developers from changing another's developer's changes without his permission or something to that effect). Awful people. Just awful. If it wasn't the only game in town, I'd be using something else....

The only reason I don't use the HT 2.0 interface for 'everything' is that it only seems to have that one "Wall" interface, which is great for a couple hundred movies, but when you get up to a thousand or more it can be a royal PITA to find something. KODI simply has a better interface with many skin options to get it to look the way you want, not just one way. Plus HT 2.0 can only recognize my NFS mounts here (and that's just with HT 2.0, not the ZDMC build, which can read the directories, but can't start the player). SMB is broken completely. This makes Zidoo pretty worthless over the network, but I always had trouble playing 3D movies over the Network anyway (much larger files). SMB3 might let larger files (say full size MakeMKV dumps instead of Handbrake encodes) work better in KODI now too (more testing I need to do since upgrading everything to Leia and SMB3).

I never understood with the X9S has two USB 2.0 ports on on it. They seem to work OK for playback (I'll get a skip/blank once in a blue moon), but there's a USB 3.0 port on there. Why not three USB 3.0 ports? It's very strange....
Completely agree with you on the developers...that's is why I only use forks and more specifically, SPMC and now MrMC.

As far as HT 2.0, I have never used the wall on any fork including MrMC. I use either Emby as my collection manager for those forks that allow it, and are not too underpowered, but I have always fallen back to my trusty 10Muse collection manager on my iPad that launches movies on any Kodi fork or MPC (HC or BE) on a PC. The collection manager on the PC is by far the best I have ever used for large collections (I am pushing 10,000 movies and 500 TV shows with over 20,000 episodes) and the developer has kept up with any bugs that I have sent him.
post #307 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Completely agree with you on the developers...that's is why I only use forks and more specifically, SPMC and now MrMC.

As far as HT 2.0, I have never used the wall on any fork including MrMC. I use either Emby as my collection manager for those forks that allow it, and are not too underpowered, but I have always fallen back to my trusty 10Muse collection manager on my iPad that launches movies on any Kodi fork or MPC (HC or BE) on a PC. The collection manager on the PC is by far the best I have ever used for large collections (I am pushing 10,000 movies and 500 TV shows with over 20,000 episodes) and the developer has kept up with any bugs that I have sent him.
So what do you use on the Zidoo, then?

post #308 of 334 Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So what do you use on the Zidoo, then?
Just the 10Muse on my iPad to launch movies on the Zidoo.
post #309 of 334 Old 07-09-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is it designed to do, praytell?
It's a network media player.

Quote:
I wasn't aware it was advertised for doing just one thing.
Well, ostensibly, yes. It's a network media player.

Quote:
The box advertises many apps it can run. That's my point Your point seems to be to make excuses for the product.
It does indeed, and as you know, the X9S came bundled with ZDMC, Zidoo's own Kodi port which was then superseded by HT2. That was my point.

ZDMC support was continued for a while and then dropped. Android boxes have always been a poor choice for vanilla Kodi which is why ZDMC, KDMC, SPMC, MRMC and OSMC exist.

That's not an excuse, it's just how it is.

Quote:
You can say it as respectfully as you want, but that doesn't make what you say right.
Ok.
But I am.

Quote:
The "this isn't the box for you" part comes off as particularly nasty to me given how it's marketed.
It certainly wasn't meant that way, so apologies if you took offence.

Quote:
Zidoo is marketed as being a one box does all media player, not as a one box just plays 3D movies off an external hard drive ONLY box.
Not sure where that comes from - I use an X9S and a Z9S for network playback of 4K UHD BluRay remuxes and neither box ever skips a beat.

Quote:
It should be fixed and you should stop making excuses for a broken product. Imagine if Denon said, well, the 8500 is only for playing FM radio. If you want to do Atmos, it isn't for you (while being marketed as being for everything on the box). Ridiculous assertions. Absolutely ridiculous. You can call that jumping up and down or whatever derogatory term you clearly want to use, but you're still wrong and frankly I don't like your attitude so let's just end it there. I'll talk about it with someone else that gives a crap about the product.
It's not perfect that's true, but use it within it's abilities and it's a very capable player.

I have a good relationship with Zidoo, I'm in contact with them most weeks, sometimes daily, and I'm helping out beta testing for them right now, so yeah, I very much "give a crap" about the product.
deano86 likes this.

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #310 of 334 Old 07-13-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried sideloading KODI 18.3, but it did the same thing as the Google Play store version, crashed with a "Unfortunately, KODI has stopped running" after anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute or so at the longest. I uninstalled and reloaded 17.6 and it works fine, such as it is. I have 18.3 on my Shield so unless it's having an issue, I'd use that anyway.

I also tried loading my movies into the "wall" display for HT 2.0 using NFS (I figure I can always load the 3D only view to isolate the 3D movies) and it worked...but the scraper got around 550 out of around 1000 WRONG and I did not feel like sitting there for hours correcting it so I just removed the shares completely.

post #311 of 334 Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried sideloading KODI 18.3, but it did the same thing as the Google Play store version, crashed with a "Unfortunately, KODI has stopped running" after anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute or so at the longest. I uninstalled and reloaded 17.6 and it works fine, such as it is. I have 18.3 on my Shield so unless it's having an issue, I'd use that anyway.

I also tried loading my movies into the "wall" display for HT 2.0 using NFS (I figure I can always load the 3D only view to isolate the 3D movies) and it worked...but the scraper got around 550 out of around 1000 WRONG and I did not feel like sitting there for hours correcting it so I just removed the shares completely.
The movies being scrapped wrong has almost everything to do with the naming of the folders/files. You have to strictly follow the TMDb naming method and make sure you don't add anything to the file name other than the TMDb name/year.

That's one of the reasons why I stick to 10Muse, I can edit/fix titles as I add them.
post #312 of 334 Old 07-13-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The movies being scrapped wrong has almost everything to do with the naming of the folders/files. You have to strictly follow the TMDb naming method and make sure you don't add anything to the file name other than the TMDb name/year.

That's one of the reasons why I stick to 10Muse, I can edit/fix titles as I add them.
Yeah, that's mostly unacceptable to me as I want to keep track of more things like resolution and whether it has Atmos/X/Auro-3D on them as I don't see detection of those formats coming any time soon to KODI (I then edit the title in KODI to add (Atmos) or whatever to the name so I know whether it has it or not there as well). So the Shazam I just got might be titled Shazam (1080p)(Atmos).mkv. KODI is usually pretty good about ignoring things in parenthesis, although I wish they would make sure it explicitly ignores it entirely and/or actually would use the labels to add Atmos type tags in the program automatically like (VHS) will do for VHS dumps, etc. Otherwise, I try to keep them pretty close. The only ones I normally have to correct in KODI are ones I have multiple versions for and NEED TO keep them separate (e.g. Blade Runner (Final Cut)(Atmos).mkv versus Blade Runner (US Theatrical).mkv, etc. as I have 5 versions of Blade Runner and two versions of Blade Runner 2049 (not counting the 3D version on top of that) as I have the Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos versions. And then there's Theatrical versus Extended or Unrated cuts of various movies. KODI has ZERO provisions for handling that except to go in and change the final names yourself. It's pathetic, really, but they don't give a flying crap about any features you request and so I stopped asking 10 years ago....

The year thing is funny because you can have a movie in KODI that only has one name and then 8 years later another movie with the same name comes out and KODI's scraper prefers the newer one typically (unless sometimes it's an obscure b-movie) so if you have to rescan for some reason, only then do you even find out it exists if you never heard of it. But correct 30 titles is different from correcting 500 titles and I can scan KODI ones on my Mac and correct/add names with an actual keyboard at just under the speed of light and then copy the database file over so it's not a huge deal compared to trying to do it with some horrible remote control. I'm not crazy about that "Wall" view for 1000+ movies anyway. I can just view the 2D list in KODI (even on the Zidoo in 17.6). ZDMC can read the 2D movies over the network here, but it CANNOT play them as it hands it over the regular player. I thought NFS would work, then (I recently created a KODI NFS alternative database that's up to date), but it doesn't for some odd reason. HT 2.0 can play the 2D movies over NFS, but it can't seem to find them from ZDMC for unknown reasons. It's like good luck getting the developers to address/fix it either so it's why I still own a Shield (I don't us the Shield for Netflix, etc. because my AppleTV does it better with full Atmos support in most of the Apps while the Shield is stuck with 5.1 on most of them or requires a 4K TV/Projector connection whereas Netflix and iTunes will play Atmos on the AppleTV 4K with my 2K/3D projector connected without having to buy a HDFury product to fool it.

I would have loved if they had added M4V/MKV tag reading support (it's only existed for M4V since like 2007 or so by Apple and AppleTV has supported it since then) and even though we know that the music tag reader can read movies renamed as if they were music files, not one developer has had the slightest interest in adding tag reading support in the past 12 years except Davilla who is always way too busy to add it (I mean for 6 years at a time) so in other words, they don't care and they don't want to hear about it. My entire M4V library is tagged. I wouldn't have to correct a single title if the darn programs read tags. MKV supports tags too, but there are almost no tagging programs because other than very basic support in VLC, almost nothing supports tag reading of MKV (chicken/egg problem). If KODI supported tagging, I'm sure Subler like programs would crop up almost overnight, but since they don't give a crap and think 1991 style non-tag scraping is the way to go in the 21st Century, things will stay as they are indefinitely.... It's pathetic.

Last edited by MagnumX; 07-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #313 of 334 Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is a new firmware in the online updater, 2.1.28.

System
1. Optimize the NFS connection strategy to avoid the problem of player (gallery) error caused by network fluctuations.
2. Optimize system stability
3. Add mobile phone control function (you can control all functions of the player by mobile phone. You can change the device name in 'All Apps - Control Center', the mobile phone control app has been put on Google Play, and the Apple Store is uploaded later.
Player
1. Subtitle download increases multi-language simultaneous download function
2. Optimize DLNA projection function
3. Optimize the plug-in ASS, SSA special effects subtitles, the memory leak caused the player (gallery) error
Blu-ray navigation
1. Subtitle download increases multi-language simultaneous download function
2. Fix the problem that the status bar is not displayed.
Poster wall
1. Optimize custom wallpaper loading to solve the problem of loading long images or high resolution images that are easy to crash
2. Optimize the search interface
3. Optimize stability
Music player
1. Rewrite the playback engine and upgrade to ZIDOO MUSIC V5.0
2. Optimize playback stability, such as SACD abnormal jump problem
3. Add multiple audio formats, such as AIF
4. Folder interface optional original directory structure browsing
5. Optimize CUE file playback accuracy
Quick settings
1. Subtitle download language adds multiple selection fu
giomania likes this.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
post #314 of 334 Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fix SMB access to use SMB3 (one is not safe) should be at the top of their list. Nothing.

Fixing whatever causes Leia to crash should be second. They don't care.

Player rewrite? Is that worth the risk playback might have new glitches? Think I'll pass.

post #315 of 334 Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, unfortunately they don't care about updating ZDMC or fixing Kodi Leia, my guess is because they focus on their own Home Theatre app. But to be honest, I'm still using ZDMC 17.6 and it runs flawless for me. SMB1 or NFS is enough for my home network but I understand the missing SMB2/3 bugs people.

LG OLED 65B8 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Zidoo X9S | Panasonic DP-UB824 | Nubert nuLine 84 / CS-44 / 24 / AW-600 | Xbox One X | PS4 | Synology DS216+II​
post #316 of 334 Old 07-26-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
I'm still using ZDMC 17.6 and it runs flawless for me. SMB1 or NFS is enough for my home network
Exactly my situation as well....
post #317 of 334 Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Love the new firmware! Music 5.0 is a definite improvement. The scraper does a much more thorough job than before and you can pull up the lyrics on the majority of songs (even old rock and roll stuff).

I bought the rebranded hourglass a year or so ago and can't believe Zidoo is still updating firmware on this discontinued model. For the money, this little box can't be beat IMHO.
post #318 of 334 Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We have a new fw.
Take it from there forum
Tnx Zidoo team

Changelog
Model: ZIDOO X9S & X10
Version number: v2.1.30
Upgrade: OTA

System:
1. Optimize the stability of system.
2. Optimize application stability.

Music Player
1. Solve occasional error message of playing the music through the file manager.
2. Lyrics closing function is added.
3. Add German and Polish language support.
4. Optimize stability of application.
5. Optimize the function of obtaining music information.
6. Optimize the problem of automatically switching the next track.
7. Fix the stuck problem of 64bit music players.
8. Optimize the music basic information interface.
9. Add album folder recognition function.
10. Solve the abnormal songs display problem in flac album folder.
11. Optimize the image recognition and profile text recognition of album folders.(need to clean the old data and rescan)
12. Fix the problem that some CUE songs are not successfully matched.
13. Optimize recognition error caused by suffix identifier of the folder.
14. Add scroll bar for list.

Control center
1. Optimize stability of connection??.
2. QR code for downloading IOS and Android app.

Poster wall
1. Solve crash issue during the matching process.
2. Solve the problem of recognizing ISO music as ISO video.
3. Improve the recognition rate of files with parentheses in file names.
4. Compatible with title of file name with "·".
5. Optimize local image recognition.
6. Fix inaccurate automatic update due to the incorrect judgment of the video file.
7. Solve the problem that the restore function of mobile phone control app does not work.
8. Add function to view folder directly in device list.
9. Add device synchronization function.
10. Solve jitter issue caused by long device name when scanning device.
11. Solve abnormal folder size display on folder viewing interface.
12. Solve losing focus problem after stop scanning in the device list interface.
13. Fix the issue that BD cannot be deleted.
14. Solve the problem that non-Chinese and non-English titles could not be matched.
15. Fix the problem that the poster modification from web page cannot select image on the computer.
16. Category browsing by movies/TV series.
17. Optimize accented characters incorrect sort issue.
18. Optimize the initialization speed of the sorting tool.
19. Solve the occasional crash problem on category browsing.
20. Turn on background dynamically by default.

Local player
1. Fixed player subtitles with more than 32 issues not displayed.
2. Press the delete button on remote control to delete plug-in subtitle.
3. Add more information interface for app control.
4. Optimize the progress bar.
5. Optimize play button no response problem after popping up menus.
6. When switching to 3D mode, associated frame rate will pause time.
7. Fix the problem that bit rate 1b/s show up coincidentally.
8. Optimize some shortcut keys.
9. Fix the problem that the download subtitle from mobile phone is different form media player.
10. Add Playlist on Mobile phone App.
11. Add more information of video display on Mobile phone app.

Quick settings
1. Add function that forced subtitles follow the language of audio track.

One-click cleaning
1. Add Polish language support.
2. Fix the abnormal focus problem in the APK file management user interface.
giomania and dr4go like this.

Klipsch & Denon always!!!
post #319 of 334 Old 10-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just wanted to add for anyone looking to get this box, that Kodi 18.4 + Firmware v2.1.28 seem to work just fine for me. I haven't tested every codec or network streaming protocol etc, but from an average user standpoint with connected USB hard drives and a NAS - everything just works fine in general.

Last edited by gollygosh; 10-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #320 of 334 Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygosh View Post
Just wanted to add for anyone looking to get this box, that Kodi 18.4 + Firmware v2.1.28 seem to work just fine for me. I haven't tested every codec or network streaming protocol etc, but from an average user standpoint with connected USB hard drives and a NAS - everything just works fine in general.
Normally, I'd be thrilled to hear that, but I'm having odd problems with KODI 18.4 on my NVidia Shield with its newest firmware (I think it's 8.0.1). The movie will just "stop" like someone hit the stop button and has done it anywhere from 5 minutes in to 55 minutes later with no obvious reason why. I once had that problem in the past with KODI on the Shield, but turning off CEC commands seemed to fix it. I can make my library available with either Windows 10 or MacOS Mojave and they both have the issue. 18.4 seems to work OK on my FireTV 4K, though so I imagine it's probably the Shield's firmware that is the issue. I guess I shouldn't ever upgrade the thing since it's hard to move it back for fear they'll screw something up. Unfortunately, I haven't found a single answer about it on the KODI forums or even the NVidia ones (although the latter sure has several people with the same problem over the years).

I was planning to try 17.6 on the Zidoo X9S with my current server versions and see if it still plays OK. I suppose it's a bit easier to move back to an older version, though.

post #321 of 334 Old 10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 651
A lot of bugs being reported on the Zidoo forum for the v2.1.30 update.

Sounds like it's safer to stay with v2.1.28.
giomania likes this.
post #322 of 334 Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
A lot of bugs being reported on the Zidoo forum for the v2.1.30 update.

Sounds like it's safer to stay with v2.1.28.
I've been using v2.1.30 since it was released and not had any issues - it's been as rock solid as always - anything in particular?

post #323 of 334 Old 10-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkoum View Post

Quick settings
1. Add function that forced subtitles follow the language of audio track.
Has anyone worked out what that means or how it works?
post #324 of 334 Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been using v2.1.30 since it was released and not had any issues - it's been as rock solid as always - anything in particular?

From the Zidoo forum:

Aspect not changing
Clock display not working with USB drive
Some errors in the Quick Settings menu
HDR/SDR problems, maybe color space

It's posted in broken English over there, so hard to get any detail or understand if it's a real problem.

I'm on v2.1.28 and I'm happy but v2.1.30 looks like it might have some improvements with HT2. If you've had no problems, I'll give it a go.
post #325 of 334 Old 10-14-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From the Zidoo forum:

Aspect not changing

It's posted in broken English over there, so hard to get any detail or understand if it's a real problem.

I'm on v2.1.28 and I'm happy but v2.1.30 looks like it might have some improvements with HT2. If you've had no problems, I'll give it a go.
I've not seen any difference between the last few firmwares in day to day usage - I know there were some improvements in HT2 to do with scraping accuracy, but then I've never had much of an issue with that anyway and when I have, it's been easy to correct.

Just did a few checks:

Aspect ratio has seems fine (NAS playback).

Clock seems ok using NAS playback - I don't use USB, so would have to bow to the experience of those that do.

Yes, there is a strange issue with the quick settings menu where it seems to pick the wrong sub menu under certain circumstances (scroll direction). Easy to work around, but that certainly needs fixing.

HDR to SDR - Again, not a function I use, but it does seem to be a bit funky now - It looks like the SEI is still being broadcast - I'll check that tomorrow with a Vertex and report what it's doing..

So if you use HDR-SDR, I'd stick for the moment... As I say, mine's working fine on v2.2.30, but I'm not using any of the settings that are causing issue...
giomania likes this.

post #326 of 334 Old 10-14-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Still the same half-assed Blu-Ray menu support. You'd think by now they'd steal the menu code from the Dune 4k, since they apparently helped write it.
nc88keyz likes this.

Sony BDP-S6700 (Region Free) | Dune Solo 4K | Zidoo X9S
Epson Home Cinema 3100 | Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" Screen
Yamaha RX-A770 | Chane A2.4 L-C-R | Fluance XLBP Wide Dispersion Bipolar Rears | Hsu VTF-2 MK5 Sub
post #327 of 334 Old 10-15-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From the Zidoo forum:

Aspect not changing

So this is what seems to be happening in HDR-SDR:

Colour Space and gamma are correct - so standard power law gamma and Rec.709 colour. The conversion is as good as it was before - that's to say not great but certainly passable.

The issue is the video levels and this is why some people are thinking colour space is wrong. The video levels of home menus and HT2 poster wall are rendered correctly at 16-235 but the video is rendered at 0-255.

This has the following effect:

1. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "Auto"

If your display supports it (most do), home menus and HT2 menus look too dark and contrasty because black starts at 16 but the display expects 0 and white is at 235 and the display expects 255.

Video looks fine since black and white are where the display expects them to be.

2. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "16-235"

Home menus and HT2 menus are fine - black and white are where they should be.

Video looks washed out because black is clipped below 16 and white clipped above 235.

3. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "0-255"

You get the same issue as in 1 above.

There are also issues with video levels if you select "auto" when HDR is set on as well - I think this is why I haven't been affected - I always set levels discretely to 16-235 and HDR on which seems to behave as expected.

So, going back on what I said earlier, I'd steer well clear of v2.1.30!
giomania, b curry and dr4go like this.

Last edited by markswift2003; 10-15-2019 at 02:26 AM.
post #328 of 334 Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So this is what seems to be happening in HDR-SDR:

Colour Space and gamma are correct - so standard power law gamma and Rec.709 colour. The conversion is as good as it was before - that's to say not great but certainly passable.

The issue is the video levels and this is why some people are thinking colour space is wrong. The video levels of home menus and HT2 poster wall are rendered correctly at 16-235 but the video is rendered at 0-255.

This has the following effect:

1. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "Auto"

If your display supports it (most do), home menus and HT2 menus look too dark and contrasty because black starts at 16 but the display expects 0 and white is at 235 and the display expects 255.

Video looks fine since black and white are where the display expects them to be.

2. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "16-235"

Home menus and HT2 menus are fine - black and white are where they should be.

Video looks washed out because black is clipped below 16 and white clipped above 235.

3. If you set <HDMI Range Mode> to "0-255"

You get the same issue as in 1 above.

There are also issues with video levels if you select "auto" when HDR is set on as well - I think this is why I haven't been affected - I always set levels discretely to 16-235 and HDR on which seems to behave as expected.

So, going back on what I said earlier, I'd steer well clear of v2.1.30!
Thanks for the work Mark. I need to get a Vertex...

If you don't mind, maybe send an email to Zidoo with your findings as you have their ear. Thanks again for your good work!
post #329 of 334 Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the work Mark. I need to get a Vertex...

If you don't mind, maybe send an email to Zidoo with your findings as you have their ear. Thanks again for your good work!
I think maybe you do - I've said this before, but it's the single most useful bit of kit I've bought for the cinema and I literally would not consider being without it now - it's so useful diagnosing stuff like this.

I'll definitely talk to Zidoo about this, but first I want to double check and revert to the latest public release to see which of these are new issues in the last beta...

post #330 of 334 Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've reverted to v2.1.28 and all is well again!

Video levels are back where they should be and the sub-menu glitch is gone.

Another issue I saw with v2.1.30 is that when playing a previously started movie, the movie would start from the beginning for a split second before correcting and starting from where you left off. A small point, but inelegant and spoils the experience.
dr4go likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page