***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 562Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 1202 Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,048
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Is there proof from anyone that has a 2016 Denon that DV passes?
This is a quote from Dolby in an article I read.....

“Dolby Vision can technically be routed through any equipment starting at v1.4.b and above, however, the device needs to be aware of the kind of signal properties that differentiate Dolby Vision from a standard SDR signal. To this effect, we have issued a compatibility SDK that several manufacturers have already used to obtain pass-through compatibility on upcoming products. Compatibility on existing products is something that could possibly achieved as well, but is of course at the discretion of each manufacturer/OEM.”
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...Wkc2Ovf7ezv.99
Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I don't remember where I read it but Denon has indicated that the (some) 2016 models will receive a firmware update that will allow DV pass-through. I'm not sure if they didn't mention 2015 models or specifically mentioned that 2015 models would not get the update.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 1202 Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't remember where I read it but Denon has indicated that the (some) 2016 models will receive a firmware update that will allow DV pass-through. I'm not sure if they didn't mention 2015 models or specifically mentioned that 2015 models would not get the update.
So nothing currently, Pioneer has told me the same for my new Pioneer AVR.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #333 of 1202 Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
PJL99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Arc supports DD+ which supports lossy atmos.
From the HDMI spec (hdmi.org) for ARC:
Which audio formats are supported over the Audio Return Channel?
The Audio Return Channel supports all the same audio formats that can be sent through a traditional S/PDIF audio connection, including Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM audio.

This does not include DD+.
Musician likes this.
PJL99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 1202 Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,048
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
From the HDMI spec (hdmi.org) for ARC:
Which audio formats are supported over the Audio Return Channel?
The Audio Return Channel supports all the same audio formats that can be sent through a traditional S/PDIF audio connection, including Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM audio.

This does not include DD+.
I get DD+/Atmos over ARC on my setup.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #335 of 1202 Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I have a Chromecast Ultra plugged into a KS8000. I'm using the ARC into a NR626 receiver. When I play Netflix app on the TV, "Dolby Digital" is an option for audio format in the TV settings. But when I play Netflix from Chromecast Ultra, Dolby Digital is grayed-out. Any idea why?
Let's see if I can help you as this was the first thing I noticed as well when I purchased mine a few weeks ago.

_____________________________

Why does the Chromecast Ultra only provide Stereo output from the Netflix app when connected to my Samsung TV?

In a nutshell only a handful of TVs currently allow for anything greater than Dolby Digital 5.1 pass through via ARC (HDMI) and the most that any TV will support is Dolby Digitial Plus but the Samsung is not one of those. As a result only stereo is being sent to the TV.

For a complete list of TVs and Receivers that support Dolby Digital + over ARC please visit this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...-hdmi-arc.html

To get around this limitation some guys with Receivers capable of HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 are connecting the Chromecast Ultra up directly to it however take note that Google only supports it being hooked up to a TV.

In my case I am using the Netflix app on my TV which supports 4K HDR and Dolby Digital 5.1 but see no reason why the Chromecast Ultra couldn't send Dolby Digital 5.1 to the TV rather than stereo which might be particularly upsetting to anyone who owns a TV without a Netflix app capable of HDR and purchased the Chromecast Ultra to get around this limitation of their system.

Here are a few posts from the Chromecast Ultra thread when it first came to light on the AVS Forum...

Spoiler!


Additional Resources

For additional information the Chromecast Help Forum might be of some assistance but based on their Product Manager's replies I am not holding my breath for a solution as it is their position that the Chromecast is "intended to be plugged directly into the HDMI port of an HDTV, and the sound should be coming out through your TV's speakers. Any setups outside of this supported setup is not guarantee to work" as per the attached thumbnails.

When searching their website forum make sure you include the word "Ultra" along with any other criteria in the search bar since there are so many different versions of Chromecast.

Conclusion

It is my sincere belief that the Chromecast Ultra is not working as intended based on their Product Manager's explanation of EDID and as a result they are trying to deflect this by ignoring the issue and telling customers that they only support the device being plugged into the TV and the sound coming out through the TV's speakers.

To prove this I connected my UBD-K8500 Ultra Blu-ray player to my system in two different configurations and played a movie from the player's built in Netflix app. Here were the results:

A) Routed directly to the Receiver outputs Dolby Digital Plus as expected

B) Routed through my TV's HDMI input passes through Dolby Digital 5.1 to my Receiver

So obviously my Samsung TV's EDID is correctly "telling" my Blu-ray player that the TV only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and so that is what is being sent from the device and passed through to my Receiver -- not stereo like the Chromecast Ultra.

Google's got some splainin' to do!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graziano.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1956281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marty.JPG
Views:	1960
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1956289  
Rudy1, galonzo, PJL99 and 2 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-10-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added link to TVs and Receivers that support Dolby Digital + thread
Musician is offline  
post #336 of 1202 Old 02-10-2017, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
From the HDMI spec (hdmi.org) for ARC:

Which audio formats are supported over the Audio Return Channel?

The Audio Return Channel supports all the same audio formats that can be sent through a traditional S/PDIF audio connection, including Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM audio.



This does not include DD+.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...ge=1&_k=22i10x



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shortyg83 is offline  
post #337 of 1202 Old 02-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Spoiler!


yea, it is kind of a let down. the reason i picked up another CC ultra is because I think the UFC app will be more likely to stream in 4K before the TV apps get updated. right now when UFC streams in 4K it is limited to Sony.

the only time I use it is in the morning when I am doing my elliptical machine. i wear a cheap pair of sweat proof bluetooth headphones so I don't wake anyone up, so the stereo only doesn't matter during a work out. plus since it integrates with Google Home, I can control it without reaching for my remote.

i will eventually upgrade my receiver to handle HDR/DV. But no way am I upgrading until someone confirms a entry to mid level receiver will pass Dolby Vision to the TV and also play at least 5.1.

@Musician glad you are active in this post now. I still keep up with the samsung threads and your knowledge and helpfulness to others is appreciated by 99 percent of us.
Musician likes this.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
korsjs is offline  
post #338 of 1202 Old 02-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
PJL99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
Hello, I just picked up one of these Chromecast Ultra's, and I seem to be getting some horrible color banding with various content on YouTube. Is there anyway to fix this? Everything looks great except this issue. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What brand is your TV, and how are you connecting the CCU (through an AVR or direct)?
PJL99 is offline  
post #339 of 1202 Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
What it needs is to correctly pass the edid from the tv to the Chromecast ultra. Currently something is not working right with that. Not yet sure if it is caused by the avr or the ultra. 2.0a. Is not needed for Dolby vision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the big problem lies with Grace and her understanding of how EDID is supposed to work and that the majority of the issues being reported on this thread , Google's help forums, and on the internet are with the Chromecast Ultra -- both Dolby Digital sound and Dolby Vision video.

I mean even Samsung, who have been known to screw up on rare occasions, has no problem sending DD 5.1 from the Netflix application on their Ultra HD Blu-ray Player when hooked up to a TV that is not capable of passing DD+ rather than stereo like the Ultra is doing as reported in this post of mine yesterday.

Although I can accept Google's position that they only support the Chromecast Ultra being plugged into the TV, I think they are BS'ing everyone with this added nonsense about "sound should be coming out through your TV's speakers" just to avoid having to fix it!

I mean really -- a 4K device such as the Chromecast Ultra which supports 5.1 surround sound is only guaranteed when outputting sound through the attached TV stereo speakers??? Come on!!!

I see you have been posting over on the Chromecast Help Forum to no avail.

Until Google recognizes the fact that it is THEIR device having trouble reading the EDID -- not our TV's of various makes and models -- then just like the issue where apps such as Netflix are trying to pass DD+ instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 resulting in Stereo, then I really hate to say it but any hopes that the Chromecast Ultra is going to support Dolby Vision on all TVs that support it may be a long much longer wait unless these issues are escalated to an engineer at Google.
korsjs and PJL99 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-12-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Musician is offline  
post #340 of 1202 Old 02-12-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I believe the big problem lies with Grace and her understanding of how EDID is supposed to work and that the majority of the issues being reported on this thread , Google's help forums, and on the internet are with the Chromecast Ultra -- both Dolby Digital sound and Dolby Vision video.

I mean even Samsung, who have been known to screw up on rare occasions, has no problem sending DD 5.1 from the Netflix application on their Ultra HD Blu-ray Player when hooked up to a TV that is not capable of passing DD+ rather than stereo like the Ultra is doing as reported in this post of mine yesterday.

Although I can accept Google's position that they only support the Chromecast Ultra being plugged into the TV, I think they are BS'ing everyone with this added nonsense about "sound should be coming out through your TV's speakers" just to avoid having to fix it!

I mean really -- a 4K device such as the Chromecast Ultra which supports 5.1 surround sound is only guaranteed when outputting sound through the attached TV stereo speakers??? Come on!!!

I see you have been posting over on the Chromecast Help Forum to no avail.

Until Google recognizes the fact that it is THEIR device having trouble reading the EDID -- not our TV's of various makes and models -- then just like the issue where apps such as Netflix are trying to pass DD+ instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 resulting in Stereo, then I really hate to say it but any hopes that the Chromecast Ultra is going to support Dolby Vision on all TVs that support it may be a long much longer wait unless these issues are escalated to an engineer at Google.
I'm a bit confused about this post. The edid issue has to do with passing Dolby vision thru an AVR. I don't have any 5.1 issues from the ultra.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #341 of 1202 Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'm a bit confused about this post. The edid issue has to do with passing Dolby vision thru an AVR. I don't have any 5.1 issues from the ultra.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
The reason you are not having any 5.1 issues from the Ultra is because you have a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus but most TVs don't. Here is the short list of TV's that do:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post42675274

If you see the following post (a few posts before yours) the rest of us are having trouble passing through anything more than stereo to our AVR's because the Chromecast is not reading the EDID correctly to determine that a TV only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 not Dolby Digital Plus resulting in only stereo being passed through the TV to our Receivers from apps such as Netflix. You will see I used another device (Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player) to test this out which had no problem reading the EDID correctly when plugged directly into the TV and passing DD 5.1 to the Receiver from Netflix.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50641665

As far as the Dolby Vision issue goes, that is an issue I am not having because my TV only supports HDR10 so you and others on this thread probably know more about it than I do... but, yes, the Chromecast is having issues with Dolby Vision in a couple of situations.

  • One is with the Vizio -- the only TV so far that is capable of DV and HDR10 from the Chromecast but apparently has some bugs which are being discussed all over the Chromecast Help Forum.

  • The other is that Google still has not provided the patch they have been promising to owners of TV's other than the Vizio's (e.g. LG) that are also capable of Dolby Vision.

Here is just one of the collection of threads discussing the Dolby Vision issue on the Chromecast Help Forum:

https://productforums.google.com/for...st/oL4yOR01_00

In other words -- gong show!
Rudy1 and PJL99 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-12-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Musician is offline  
post #342 of 1202 Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
The reason you are not having any 5.1 issues from the Ultra is because you have a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus but most TVs don't. Here is the short list of TV's that do:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post42675274

If you see the following post (a few posts before yours) the rest of us are having trouble passing through anything more than stereo to our AVR's because the Chromecast is not reading the EDID correctly to determine that a TV only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 not Dolby Digital Plus resulting in only stereo being passed through the TV to our Receivers from apps such as Netflix. You will see I used another device (Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player) to test this out which had no problem reading the EDID correctly when plugged directly into the TV and passing DD 5.1 to the Receiver from Netflix.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50641665

As far as the Dolby Vision issue goes, that is an issue I am not having because my TV only supports HDR10 so you and others on this thread probably know more about it than I do... but, yes, the Chromecast is having issues with Dolby Vision in a couple of situations.

  • One is with the Vizio -- the only TV so far that is capable of DV and HDR10 from the Chromecast but apparently has some bugs which are being discussed all over the Chromecast Help Forum.

  • The other is that Google still has not provided the patch they have been promising to owners of TV's other than the Vizio's (e.g. LG) that are also capable of Dolby Vision.

Here is just one of the collection of threads discussing the Dolby Vision issue on the Chromecast Help Forum:

https://productforums.google.com/for...st/oL4yOR01_00

In other words -- gong show!
Yea I created a post there about it and got contacted by Google. I uploaded logs also. They are being forwarded to the engineers.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #343 of 1202 Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
The reason you are not having any 5.1 issues from the Ultra is because you have a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus but most TVs don't. Here is the short list of TV's that do:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post42675274

If you see the following post (a few posts before yours) the rest of us are having trouble passing through anything more than stereo to our AVR's because the Chromecast is not reading the EDID correctly to determine that a TV only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 not Dolby Digital Plus resulting in only stereo being passed through the TV to our Receivers from apps such as Netflix. You will see I used another device (Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player) to test this out which had no problem reading the EDID correctly when plugged directly into the TV and passing DD 5.1 to the Receiver from Netflix.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50641665

As far as the Dolby Vision issue goes, that is an issue I am not having because my TV only supports HDR10 so you and others on this thread probably know more about it than I do... but, yes, the Chromecast is having issues with Dolby Vision in a couple of situations.

  • One is with the Vizio -- the only TV so far that is capable of DV and HDR10 from the Chromecast but apparently has some bugs which are being discussed all over the Chromecast Help Forum.

  • The other is that Google still has not provided the patch they have been promising to owners of TV's other than the Vizio's (e.g. LG) that are also capable of Dolby Vision.

Here is just one of the collection of threads discussing the Dolby Vision issue on the Chromecast Help Forum:

https://productforums.google.com/for...st/oL4yOR01_00

In other words -- gong show!
Are you sure the issue is related to the Chromecast and not the tv?
See here is the the thing. The post you linked about Dolby Digital being grayed out probably should be grayed out. Because the tv will not convert sound from other devices. Which is why when using the tvs internal apps you can change it. But when using an external device the tv isn't going to allow you to configure that.

Have you tried any external player besides the samsung player to test? The samsung player is actually different than using any other devices because samsung products communicate using anynet for cec to get information from other samsung devices.
In fact on samsungs webpage it says if you want 5.1 from other devices you need to connect them via optical to an avr. So your issue seems to be with your tv not your chromecast.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #344 of 1202 Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Are you sure the issue is related to the Chromecast and not the tv?
See here is the the thing. The post you linked about Dolby Digital being grayed out probably should be grayed out. Because the tv will not convert sound from other devices. Which is why when using the tvs internal apps you can change it. But when using an external device the tv isn't going to allow you to configure that.

Have you tried any external player besides the samsung player to test? The samsung player is actually different than using any other devices because samsung products communicate using anynet for cec to get information from other samsung devices.
In fact on samsungs webpage it says if you want 5.1 from other devices you need to connect them via optical to an avr. So your issue seems to be with your tv not your chromecast.
I am not sure what was grayed out or what he was casting from since Grace is a little shy when it comes to asking follow up questions and instead quotes the party line as soon as she reads the word "stereo" that they only support the sound coming out of the TV speakers.

I find that really insulting. Imagine if any other maker of A/V equipment tried that line out on their customers! I guess no worse than fooling the press into believing that the device was going to support Dolby Vision and everyone is still waiting for that to work correctly... if it all. While HDR is great only a limited amount of Netflix HDR content is available and I doubt most guys on AVS Forum or those out there raising complaints with Google ever thought they would have to settle for stereo from the Netflix app when they have always enjoyed Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus from the rest of their devices.

I digress.

As for me I don't get any options grayed out when casting from my iPad's Netflix app since the only audio choice is stereo. I imagine the same thing would be true for anyone casting from a mobile device or phone since that is all they are capable of. Also, please note, it is only the only the Netflix app that is causing problems for me. I understand most other apps have no problem playing DD 5.1 but I believe those are only ones that don't output DD+.

Just to avoid any misinterpretation, when it comes to my TV's audio choice Dolby Digital is always available (not grayed out) in my TV settings from any one of the Netflix apps from the various devices shown below as well as the Smart TV built in app.

  • As for the Samsung UHD Blu-ray Player, even with Anynet turned off, it still has no problem passing through DD 5.1 to my Receiver.
  • In a similar manner, my Arris 4K PVR Set Top Box is hooked up directly to my TV and it also has a Netflix app. It too has no problem passing through DD 5.1 to my Receiver.
  • And just to add to the list, my Apple TV when hooked up directly to the TV has no problem passing DD 5.1 to my Receiver either.

Without cutting and pasting every result for guys with similar problems over on the Chromecast Help Forum, to highlight the fact that this is not an isolated problem with @ergalthema , @korsjs , @PJL99 , @galonzo , and myself, I have attached a few more. One from a Samsung KS8000 owner, one from an LG B6 owner, and another from an LG UB8500 owner.

This is not new for Chromecast. Here is an entire thread created by owners of the Chromecast 2 over the course of many months experiencing the same issue in 2016-2017 so hopefully their engineers can find a remedy for those in a similar situation with the Chromecast Ultra...

https://productforums.google.com/for...05.1$20stopped

Look on the bright side -- maybe the Vizio owners should consider themselves lucky. At least with the Vizio TV's you guys are getting some form of HDR while still enjoying 5.1 surround sound from Netflix cast to the Chromecast. And before a lynch squad shows up at my door, I am only kidding!


Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheAndyLee.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1962553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roaders.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1962561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ader.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1962569  
Rudy1, PJL99 and ergalthema like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #345 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Member
 
lmclouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung JU7100 and Chromecast Ultra only PCM audio

Has anyone with a Samsung JU7100 and a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV found a way to get Dolby Digital audio? Mine only produces PCM audio.

I have a Samsung UN75JU7100 and an Onkyo HT-680 receiver connected using HDMI ARC. I have owned a Chromecast 2 and had it connected to the Onkyo receiver and everything was fine -- audio would play Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. So I know the ARC portion is working fine.

I now bought a Chromecast Ultra and since the Onkyo receiver is old enough it does not passthrough 4K video. My only option is to plug the Chromecast Ultra directly into the TV.

While this works to give me 4K video and HDR, it fails in that the only audio I get is PCM.

I did some investigating and there definitely are audio problems with the Ultra. Here is the setup; the Chromecast 2 plugged into the receiver, the Chromecast Ultra plugged directly to the TV, and an HDMI ARC cable from the TV to the receiver.
The SmartHub part of the TV has the VUDU app. So I can play a movie from there and get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. I play the same movie through the VUDU app on my Samsung Galaxy Note4 through the Chromecast 2 and get Dolby Digital+ sound. But if I play the VUDU app from the Note4 through the Chromecast Ultra, only PCM audio.

Is there any way to get better than PCM audio with a Chromecast plugged directly into the TV?
lmclouth is offline  
post #346 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ergalthema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclouth View Post
Is there any way to get better than PCM audio with a Chromecast plugged directly into the TV?
There have been a lot of similar posts like yours. Here's a lot of info from an earlier post in this very thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50641665
Musician likes this.
ergalthema is offline  
post #347 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Member
 
lmclouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
There have been a lot of similar posts like yours. Here's a lot of info from an earlier post in this very thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50641665
Thanks for that. But from everything I have read and experienced (with the testing of the VUDU app from different locations), this TV DOES passthrough Dolby Digital 5.1. As you can see the JU7100 listed here:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/input...io-passthrough

So the problem definitely seems to be with the Ultra.
lmclouth is offline  
post #348 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,207
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclouth View Post
Has anyone with a Samsung JU7100 and a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV found a way to get Dolby Digital audio? Mine only produces PCM audio.

I have a Samsung UN75JU7100 and an Onkyo HT-680 receiver connected using HDMI ARC. I have owned a Chromecast 2 and had it connected to the Onkyo receiver and everything was fine -- audio would play Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. So I know the ARC portion is working fine.

I now bought a Chromecast Ultra and since the Onkyo receiver is old enough it does not passthrough 4K video. My only option is to plug the Chromecast Ultra directly into the TV.

While this works to give me 4K video and HDR, it fails in that the only audio I get is PCM.

I did some investigating and there definitely are audio problems with the Ultra. Here is the setup; the Chromecast 2 plugged into the receiver, the Chromecast Ultra plugged directly to the TV, and an HDMI ARC cable from the TV to the receiver.
The SmartHub part of the TV has the VUDU app. So I can play a movie from there and get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. I play the same movie through the VUDU app on my Samsung Galaxy Note4 through the Chromecast 2 and get Dolby Digital+ sound. But if I play the VUDU app from the Note4 through the Chromecast Ultra, only PCM audio.

Is there any way to get better than PCM audio with a Chromecast plugged directly into the TV?
Isn't it 5.1 PCM though?

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #349 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
ergalthema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclouth View Post
So the problem definitely seems to be with the Ultra.
That's what the post was saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Conclusion

It is my sincere belief that the Chromecast Ultra is not working as intended
Musician likes this.
ergalthema is offline  
post #350 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Member
 
lmclouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Isn't it 5.1 PCM though?

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk
No, it's only 2 channel.
lmclouth is offline  
post #351 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclouth View Post
Has anyone with a Samsung JU7100 and a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV found a way to get Dolby Digital audio? <--snip--> Is there any way to get better than PCM audio with a Chromecast plugged directly into the TV?
Just to be clear, the Chromecast Ultra has no problem with apps which send regular Dolby Digital 5.1 but it's causing the audio from apps such as Netflix, who's primary audio is Dolby Digital Plus, to be passed through the Samsung TV's (and most other brands except for the Vizios) as 2 channel stereo rather than 5.1 surround.

For example, here is a post by @korsjs indicating that the Plex app passes Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
i was complaining a couple days ago about the ultra not passing 5.1 while hooked up to the tv outputting through optical to the AVR. My main concern was netflix but when I tried plex today it passed 5.1 through fine. So it must be netflix not having surround enabled. i will have to play around with some other apps this weekend.
We don't get Vudu in Canada so I can't speak specifically to your issue but a quick search of the internet indicates that they have been streaming Dolby Digital Plus since 2011...

VUDU Starts Streaming Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

So this issue you are having adds further proof that the fault lies with the Chromecast Ultra with any app that send Dolby Digital Plus (e.g. Netflix and VUDU and perhaps others).

And you are correct, our TV's up until now have had no issues passing 5.1 audio to our A/V Receiver regardless of the app and the reason I stand by my position that the fault lies with the Chromecast Ultra is because I have tried several other devices hooked up directly to the TV and they have no problems passing audio to my Receiver as Dolby Digital 5.1 from the Netflix app.

To top that all off, the Chromecast Ultra STILL does not fully support Dolby Vision even though all the coverage in the press said that it would like this front page news article posted on the AVS Forum written by Mark Henninger (@imagic):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-la...ming-70-a.html

Quote:
...the new device supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision flavors of HDR...
Google has now been promising a firmware upgrade to the Chromecast Ultra since it was released for owners of the LG televisions that support Dolby Vision but as of this writing have failed to deliver.

I guess the Ultra must really stand for "Ultra Undependable".
korsjs and PJL99 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #352 of 1202 Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Despoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Are you 100% sure the content is 5.1? For example, Netflix lists television shows as having 5.1 even though it might only be the most recent season. Also, there is nothing wrong with PCM. You can have multichannel PCM and send it over HDMI. All audio is converted down to PCM anyways within the DAC.

As far as DV support, I suspect it's not Google that is the issue right now. Remember that they likely use a Marvel Armada 1500 Pro 4k chip. Marvell has to build the DV support into the SDK. Google will then take that newer SDK version and build it into their device and service.

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
Despoiler is offline  
post #353 of 1202 Old 02-16-2017, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Are you 100% sure the content is 5.1?
yes
lmclouth and Musician like this.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
korsjs is offline  
post #354 of 1202 Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Are you 100% sure the content is 5.1? For example, Netflix lists television shows as having 5.1 even though it might only be the most recent season. Also, there is nothing wrong with PCM. You can have multichannel PCM and send it over HDMI. All audio is converted down to PCM anyways within the DAC.

As far as DV support, I suspect it's not Google that is the issue right now. Remember that they likely use a Marvel Armada 1500 Pro 4k chip. Marvell has to build the DV support into the SDK. Google will then take that newer SDK version and build it into their device and service.
Before I begin, how can you say that you suspect it's not Google who is the issue right now? Remember it was them that marketed the Chromecast Ultra as supporting Dolby Vision over 4 months ago!!!

Not sure who you are responding to here since I never mentioned PCM in my reply so without trying to confuse the issue or turning this into the Samsung TV Sound Setting Forum, for those that are interested please click the spoiler below for more information on Samsung's sound settings.

Spoiler!

Now to answer your question. Yes, I am 100% sure the content is 5.1 as evidenced by the fact I tested a variety of known 5.1 Netflix content (as well as some known stereo content) on no less than 3 external devices plugged directly into the TV as well as the app built into the Smart TV and none of them had any issues passing through 5.1 audio from the Netflix app to my Receiver. For example, Daredevil, Season 1, Episode 1.

Also, to add to the above it is not just owners of Samsung TVs having the issue. It is anyone who owns a TV that does not support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC which is currently supported by only a handful of TVs as follows:

  • LG 2017 OLEDs: W7, G7, E7, C7, B7 *
  • Vizio R Series (65", 120")
  • Vizio P Series (2016)
  • Vizio M Series (2016)
  • Vizio 58D
  • Sony KDL-32W600D (to be confirmed)
  • Insignia 24" RokuTV, NS-24ER310NA17
  • TCL Roku TVs
  • Sony XBR-65Z9D

* Note: 2016 and earlier LG OLEDs (G6, E6, C6, C6, EF9500, EG9800) do not support DD+ over ARC

As for your comments regarding DV, perhaps the issue might be related to this Marvel Armada 1500 Pro 4k SoC chip that you propose they "likely use" and your discussion regarding some new Software Development Kit but even if it is that's between Google and their chip supplier and should by no means be the responsibility of prospective purchasers to independently verify that it actually works before shelling out their hard earned cash.

My prior line of work was actually down in the trenches as an award winning software designer and developer on mainframe, mini, and client / server apps who eventually went on to do the international public speaking circuit so I have a little difficulty when a manufacturer promises functionality (such as Dolby Vision) or implies certain functionality (such as Dolby Digital 5.1 which almost always worked on the Chromecast 2) and doesn't deliver. I mean what kind of A/V manufacturer says they only support their product's audio functionality when playing sound out of the TV speakers? Who really cares about a device that provides a limited amount of 4K HDR if they are going to have to listen to the program in stereo? Great, grandma's gonna love it!

With all due respect I doubt the LG owners give a darn who the issue is with "right now". They promised Dolby Vision Support right from the get go as you can see in the attached excerpt from an entry on the Google Product Blog written by Suresh Kolla, Engineering Director, who stated way back on October 4th, 2016 that the "Chromecast Ultra supports 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision".

https://blog.google/products/chromec...d-hdr-support/

That's what I like -- a guy who steps up and promises something reported by every tech news agency out there and then goes silent hiding behind 'Grace Y' (without a last name) the so-called Product Manager and Expert who has been posting on the Chromecast Help Forum that a firmware update is forthcoming since the products release. Maybe it's about time that those same publications should be asking what the holdup is!

So yep, that sounds like it's Google's fault to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chromecast Ultra - Dolby Vision.JPG
Views:	4054
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1972769  
lmclouth, korsjs and PJL99 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #355 of 1202 Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Before I begin, how can you say that you suspect it's not Google who is the issue right now? Remember it was them that marketed the Chromecast Ultra as supporting Dolby Vision over 4 months ago!!!

Not sure who you are responding to here since I never mentioned PCM in my reply so without trying to confuse the issue or turning this into the Samsung TV Sound Setting Forum, for those that are interested please click the spoiler below for more information on Samsung's sound settings.

Spoiler!

Now to answer your question. Yes, I am 100% sure the content is 5.1 as evidenced by the fact I tested a variety of known 5.1 Netflix content (as well as some known stereo content) on no less than 3 external devices plugged directly into the TV as well as the app built into the Smart TV and none of them had any issues passing through 5.1 audio from the Netflix app to my Receiver. For example, Daredevil, Season 1, Episode 1.

Also, to add to the above it is not just owners of Samsung TVs having the issue. It is anyone who owns a TV that does not support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC which is currently supported by only a handful of TVs as follows:

  • LG 2017 OLEDs: W7, G7, E7, C7, B7 *
  • Vizio R Series (65", 120")
  • Vizio P Series (2016)
  • Vizio M Series (2016)
  • Vizio 58D
  • Sony KDL-32W600D (to be confirmed)
  • Insignia 24" RokuTV, NS-24ER310NA17
  • TCL Roku TVs
  • Sony XBR-65Z9D

* Note: 2016 and earlier LG OLEDs (G6, E6, C6, C6, EF9500, EG9800) do not support DD+ over ARC

As for your comments regarding DV, perhaps the issue might be related to this Marvel Armada 1500 Pro 4k SoC chip that you propose they "likely use" and your discussion regarding some new Software Development Kit but even if it is that's between Google and their chip supplier and should by no means be the responsibility of prospective purchasers to independently verify that it actually works before shelling out their hard earned cash.

My prior line of work was actually down in the trenches as an award winning software designer and developer on mainframe, mini, and client / server apps who eventually went on to do the international public speaking circuit so I have a little difficulty when a manufacturer promises functionality (such as Dolby Vision) or implies certain functionality (such as Dolby Digital 5.1 which almost always worked on the Chromecast 2) and doesn't deliver. I mean what kind of A/V manufacturer says they only support their product's audio functionality when playing sound out of the TV speakers? Who really cares about a device that provides a limited amount of 4K HDR if they are going to have to listen to the program in stereo? Great, grandma's gonna love it!

With all due respect I doubt the LG owners give a darn who the issue is with "right now". They promised Dolby Vision Support right from the get go as you can see in the attached excerpt from an entry on the Google Product Blog written by Suresh Kolla, Engineering Director, who stated way back on October 4th, 2016 that the "Chromecast Ultra supports 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision".

https://blog.google/products/chromec...d-hdr-support/

That's what I like -- a guy who steps up and promises something reported by every tech news agency out there and then goes silent hiding behind 'Grace Y' (without a last name) the so-called Product Manager and Expert who has been posting on the Chromecast Help Forum that a firmware update is forthcoming since the products release. Maybe it's about time that those same publications should be asking what the holdup is!

So yep, that sounds like it's Google's fault to me!
A couple issue with this.
First while in some interviews and such google did say that it would support dolby vision, they never said at release. In fact they never posted anything on the official site regarding it supporting dolby vision. And nothing on the packaging states it supports it as well.
Second the article you linked states something you seem to be ignoring. It says yes it supports Dolby Vision, but in the same paragraph it states that at first it will only support 4k video and later will add more 4k and HDR support. It doesn't state at release it will support Dolby Vision in fact it states the opposite.
The whole sound thing on the other hand, while it sucks, isn't exactly googles fault.
1. Chromecast states on their website and in product description. The chromecast is designed to be hooked up to the tv using the tvs speakers. That statement while saddening, basically means anything outside of your tv getting stereo sound isn't actually guarenteed or really supported by them.
2. Buying devices and trying to get cutting edge tech like HDR, Dolby Vision and 4k and then also buying a tv that doesn't support Dolby Digital + is just simply a mistake. You can argue only a few tvs support it, but that doesn't change the fact that this information is available before you made that purchase and you can't exactly expect every device you buy to completely be backwards compliant.
3. The last thing is as far sound goes, it falls on the APP maker to be able to functionally use the hardware they are given. Apps like Netflix and vudu tend to use Dolby Digital +. If they use dolby digital + they don't use dolby digital. So here is the deal the chromecast doesn't claim to convert music and via its "we only support connection to tv" it doesn't fall on them to. So if netflix and vudu don't choose to include a DD track along with the DD+ track then its gonna default to PCM. Im not really sure who should fix this because it obviously sucks. But don't think the issue is actually with google. You are playing a video that does not have Dolby Digital Audio you are playing a video that only has dolby digital plus audio and your tv cannot accept that. And chromecast is far from the only device that handles it this way.
Despoiler likes this.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #356 of 1202 Old 02-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
In fact they never posted anything on the official site regarding it supporting dolby vision. And nothing on the packaging states it supports it as well.
i am not 100 percent sure but I am almost positive that they had DV listed on their site and I believe it was mentioned during its reveal. it was one of their selling points. pretty confident. i am sure if one wanted, it could be found on web archives.

i agree with the receiver issue where it says it's intended to be hooked up to a tv. no receivers currently support DV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
With all due respect I doubt the LG owners give a darn who the issue is with "right now".
i do. i am heavily invested in the google ecosystem.

i agree somewhat with paragraphs marked 2 and 3. sometime this weekend i will hook up my chromecast 1 and 2 to my tv, out of curiosity to see if it will pass netflix surround. hold me to that, i have a feeling i will be lazy this weekend.

i told @Musician that i appreciate the effort he puts into contacting these companies when they do not keep their word and when he posts he gives very detailed information and can back it up. i admitted to him i am lazy when it comes to that stuff. if he is every in tampa, i would be happy to host him for all the knowledge i have gained from him.
Musician likes this.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500

Last edited by korsjs; 02-17-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: grammer
korsjs is offline  
post #357 of 1202 Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,048
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
...

i do. i am heavily invested in the google ecosystem.

...
Maybe since you're "heavily invested in the google ecosystem" you can answer a question for me. I only have a handful of movies on Google Play and last night I was watching Expendables 2 which I purchased in HD from Google Play. The movie kept fluctuating in resolution and staying mostly in 480p instead of 1080p. I called Google Play support and of course they had me reboot the router, etc. but it didn't help. They kept thinking it was on my end even though I have a fast connection of 150mbps. I tried playing the movie on the Roku Ultra, the Vizio display and the Chromecast Ultra and they each kept lowering the resolution so it's obvious it was on Google's end but they wouldn't admit it. What do you do in those cases, wait for a day or two and then try watching it to see if the server problems go away? This just made me NOT want to buy any more Google Play content because I'm so used to Vudu and their high consistent quality.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #358 of 1202 Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Maybe since you're "heavily invested in the google ecosystem" you can answer a question for me. I only have a handful of movies on Google Play and last night I was watching Expendables 2 which I purchased in HD from Google Play. The movie kept fluctuating in resolution and staying mostly in 480p instead of 1080p. I called Google Play support and of course they had me reboot the router, etc. but it didn't help. They kept thinking it was on my end even though I have a fast connection of 150mbps. I tried playing the movie on the Roku Ultra, the Vizio display and the Chromecast Ultra and they each kept lowering the resolution so it's obvious it was on Google's end but they wouldn't admit it. What do you do in those cases, wait for a day or two and then try watching it to see if the server problems go away? This just made me NOT want to buy any more Google Play content because I'm so used to Vudu and their high consistent quality.
i should apologize as i did not clarify. my heavy involvement with google is with their phones, apps, online storage, music, chromecast, family sharing, you tube red, play music, wear, and home.

i use microsoft office 360 family because the programs are superior to google options and the storage that comes with it is my back up to google drive. plus microsoft will always be involved with enterprise solutions which i need to know, so i always am on the latest version of windows and office. there are to many US government programs that are dependent on the back bones of windows and would never be able to run on chrome or linux. my place is currently buying surface pros but are downgrading to windows 8 (running in 7 compatible mode) because the government has to many legacy programs that would be very expensive to move to a modern version. we are pretty much stuck and government spending is shrinking.

my statement should have said i will not use apple products because they are boring. if amazon didn't botch their phone by trying to do a custom rom instead of stock android i would be with amazon for pretty much everything. i would have rather used a windows 10 phone, but i knew from the beginning it would never obtain a user base.

to get back to your question. my movie purchases go to vudu since they support dolby vision. i will buy the ultraviolet codes from people who do not want them from between 4 to 11 dollars. not using google play movies yet due lack of hdr/dv.

however, i do understand your problem. my best guess would be network congestion. even though you are paying for 150 down, if your cable company is no good, you will have issues. when i had verizon fios before it turned into frontier fios and before netflix blocked VPNs - verizon, before they signed their agreement with netflix, i always had trouble with 4K. when i used a vpn (my vpn allows gigabit), 4k would start instantly. no vpn and i was lucky to get hd. have never had problems with frontier, amazon, or vudu.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
korsjs is offline  
post #359 of 1202 Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 5323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
A couple issue with this.
First while in some interviews and such google did say that it would support dolby vision, they never said at release. In fact they never posted anything on the official site regarding it supporting dolby vision. And nothing on the packaging states it supports it as well.
Second the article you linked states something you seem to be ignoring. It says yes it supports Dolby Vision, but in the same paragraph it states that at first it will only support 4k video and later will add more 4k and HDR support. It doesn't state at release it will support Dolby Vision in fact it states the opposite.
The whole sound thing on the other hand, while it sucks, isn't exactly googles fault.
1. Chromecast states on their website and in product description. The chromecast is designed to be hooked up to the tv using the tvs speakers. That statement while saddening, basically means anything outside of your tv getting stereo sound isn't actually guarenteed or really supported by them.
2. Buying devices and trying to get cutting edge tech like HDR, Dolby Vision and 4k and then also buying a tv that doesn't support Dolby Digital + is just simply a mistake. You can argue only a few tvs support it, but that doesn't change the fact that this information is available before you made that purchase and you can't exactly expect every device you buy to completely be backwards compliant.
3. The last thing is as far sound goes, it falls on the APP maker to be able to functionally use the hardware they are given. Apps like Netflix and vudu tend to use Dolby Digital +. If they use dolby digital + they don't use dolby digital. So here is the deal the chromecast doesn't claim to convert music and via its "we only support connection to tv" it doesn't fall on them to. So if netflix and vudu don't choose to include a DD track along with the DD+ track then its gonna default to PCM. Im not really sure who should fix this because it obviously sucks. But don't think the issue is actually with google. You are playing a video that does not have Dolby Digital Audio you are playing a video that only has dolby digital plus audio and your tv cannot accept that. And chromecast is far from the only device that handles it this way.
As for the article I linked to where it is your position that it states something I seem to be ignoring, I would beg to differ.

Here is the quote you are referring to again...



Right there in the very first sentence of the Engineers blog entry it says "Chromecast Ultra supports 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision..." -- it doesn't say it will support it later. Nor did it say that in the rest of that entire paragraph... or the entire blog entry for that matter.

If you want to parse his words and put your own spin on something where the second sentence begins by saying "At first, you'll be able to stream 4K content from Netflix, YouTube and Vudu" we know he means 4K HDR content because that's what I am getting. Saying HDR and Dolby Vision would have been redundant at this point since he said that in the opening sentence.

You might have seen my reference to the public speaking circuit where I have been written up a number of times and each and every one of those times the article has been presented to me or I would be asked for clarification before it was published to ensure they didn't misrepresent what I was trying saying. I would assume that the same could be said for the dozens of articles published all over the web and in print which all say something along the lines of "...the new device supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision flavors of HDR..." just like the article published on AVS Forum announcing the Chromecast Ultra. Are you saying they ALL got it wrong?


I do take exception to your position that...

Quote:
buying a tv that doesn't support Dolby Digital + is just simply a mistake
Like I said, the Samsung TVs do support the Dolby Digital Plus codec (see attached thumbnail) it just doesn't pass DD+ over ARC that is why we only get DD 5.1 from apps when a device is hooked up directly to the TV whereas you would get DD+ passed to your Receiver. But hey, up until recently no TVs supported DD+ over ARC so a little unfair to call it a 'mistake' but not the first time I have had to point out to someone I am not a wizard with a crystal ball.

That all changed when we got our hands on the Chromecast Ultra and that is why the questions started appearing on this thread from guys like @korsjs , @ergalthema , @galonzo , @PJL99 , @lmclouth , myself, and countless others I have seen while researching the issue on the Chromecast Help Forum threads so I would hardly go so far as saying...

Quote:
that this information [was] available before [we] made that purchase
If that was the case then it sure wasn't clear and certainly not normal for an audio device. As a matter of fact when @korsjs first raised the question in this thread I think only one guy offered some help.

And as far as this comment of yours goes...

Quote:
You can argue only a few tvs support it, but that doesn't change the fact that this information is available before you made that purchase and you can't exactly expect every device you buy to completely be backwards compliant.
I presume by "that purchase" you are now referring to the Chromecast Ultra -- not our TVs. If the information was available I would submit that it would have been readily apparent to the guys without asking the questions on this thread and the many, many, posts on the Chromecast Help Forum threads.

As for me, I primarily bought mine since my TV doesn't have the VP9 Profile 2 chipset so I can watch YouTube HDR. Hope you don't chalk that up to a 'mistake' too since that chipset didn't come along until later in 2016.


As for Netflix I am happy to say my TV app supports both 4K HDR and Dolby Digital 5.1 so no issues there. And if I want to watch a Netflix video that is SDR, I can always use my Ultra HD Blu-ray player (who's app hasn't been updated to support HDR) and get DD+.

It's getting to the point that for some of us we need a quick reference chart to determine what device we should use to get the optimum pleasure from our equipment for a particular program.


Isn't it ironic that 2 out of the 3 apps that their Engineering Director said we'd be able to stream in his blog entry, they only stream in Stereo unless you have one of the new TV's that support Dolby Digital + over ARC. Maybe he could have made that clear as well.


And while you can argue that we "can't exactly expect every device you buy to completely be backwards compliant", while that may be true for some things I never thought Dolby Digital would be one of them. As a matter of fact here is an except taken right off Dolby's website...

Quote:
Compatibility with Current Equipment

Equipment with Dolby Digital Plus will unlock its full feature set, including 5.1- and 7.1-channel capability (depending on the program).

If your system includes only Dolby Digital, you'll still get 5.1-channel surround sound, with the highest-quality Dolby Digital signal possible—Dolby Digital Plus content is easily converted to a traditional Dolby Digital signal.

Source: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...ital-plus.html
They go onto say...

Quote:
Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for Dolby Digital playback.
I am not trying to argue with anyone on this thread, I was just trying to clarify what the issues are for a large cross-section of TV owners while helping a couple of guys out. At the end of the day if Google can't get the Chromecast Ultra to work like the array of Ultra HD Blu-ray Players and other devices out there who's apps such as Netflix and VUDU can send Dolby Digital through the vast number of TVs that don't support DD+ over ARC then I guess it is what it is and for that reason I will not be recommending the Chromecast Ultra to those who seek my opinion without encouraging them to read from post 335 to the bottom of this page.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Codecs.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1976993  
Rudy1, lmclouth, korsjs and 3 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-18-2017 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added "Compatibility with Current Equipment" quotation from Dolby's website
Musician is offline  
post #360 of 1202 Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dick Emery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Does Youtube HDR work on an LG B6 OLED? I read somewhere there were issues.
Dick Emery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off