***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 566Likes

post #361 of 1210 Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
As for the article I linked to where it is your position that it states something I seem to be ignoring, I would beg to differ.

Here is the quote you are referring to again...

Right there in the very first sentence of the Engineers blog entry it says "Chromecast Ultra supports 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision..." -- it doesn't say it will support it later. Nor did it say that in the rest of that entire paragraph... or the entire blog entry for that matter.

If you want to parse his words and put your own spin on something where the second sentence begins by saying "At first, you'll be able to stream 4K content from Netflix, YouTube and Vudu" we know he means 4K HDR content because that's what I am getting. Saying HDR and Dolby Vision would have been redundant at this point since he said that in the opening sentence.

You might have seen my reference to the public speaking circuit where I have been written up a number of times and each and every one of those times the article has been presented to me or I would be asked for clarification before it was published to ensure they didn't misrepresent what I was trying saying. I would assume that the same could be said for the dozens of articles published all over the web and in print which all say something along the lines of "...the new device supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision flavors of HDR..." just like the article published on AVS Forum announcing the Chromecast Ultra. Are you saying they ALL got it wrong?

I do take exception to your position that...

Like I said, the Samsung TVs do support the Dolby Digital Plus codec (see attached thumbnail) it just doesn't pass DD+ over ARC that is why we only get DD 5.1 from apps when a device is hooked up directly to the TV whereas you would get DD+ passed to your Receiver. But hey, up until recently no TVs supported DD+ over ARC so a little unfair to call it a 'mistake' but not the first time I have had to point out to someone I am not a wizard with a crystal ball.

That all changed when we got our hands on the Chromecast Ultra and that is why the questions started appearing on this thread from guys like @korsjs , @ergalthema , @galonzo , @PJL99 , @lmclouth , myself, and countless others I have seen while researching the issue on the Chromecast Help Forum threads so I would hardly go so far as saying...

If that was the case then it sure wasn't clear and certainly not normal for an audio device. As a matter of fact when @korsjs first raised the question in this thread I think only one guy offered some help.

And as far as this comment of yours goes...

I presume by "that purchase" you are now referring to the Chromecast Ultra -- not our TVs. If the information was available I would submit that it would have been readily apparent to the guys without asking the questions on this thread and the many, many, posts on the Chromecast Help Forum threads.

As for me, I primarily bought mine since my TV doesn't have the VP9 Profile 2 chipset so I can watch YouTube HDR. Hope you don't chalk that up to a 'mistake' too since that chipset didn't come along until later in 2016.

As for Netflix I am happy to say my TV app supports both 4K HDR and Dolby Digital 5.1 so no issues there. And if I want to watch a Netflix video that is SDR, I can always use my Ultra HD Blu-ray player (who's app hasn't been updated to support HDR) and get DD+.

It's getting to the point that for some of us we need a quick reference chart to determine what device we should use to get the optimum pleasure from our equipment for a particular program.

Isn't it ironic that 2 out of the 3 apps that their Engineering Director said we'd be able to stream in his blog entry, they only stream in Stereo unless you have one of the new TV's that support Dolby Digital + over ARC. Maybe he could have made that clear as well.

And while you can argue that we "can't exactly expect every device you buy to completely be backwards compliant", while that may be true for some things I never thought Dolby Digital would be one of them. As a matter of fact here is an except taken right off Dolby's website...

They go onto say...

I am not trying to argue with anyone on this thread, I was just trying to clarify what the issues are for a large cross-section of TV owners while helping a couple of guys out. At the end of the day if Google can't get the Chromecast Ultra to work like the array of Ultra HD Blu-ray Players and other devices out there who's apps such as Netflix and VUDU can send Dolby Digital through the vast number of TVs that don't support DD+ over ARC then I guess it is what it is and for that reason I will not be recommending the Chromecast Ultra to those who seek my opinion without encouraging them to read from post 335 to the bottom of this page.

Cheers!

A few things, I recognize the problems you are having suck. And I know the Ultra is not perfect. But I think your complaints are not completely acurate.
1. You say the Chromecast should be able to support apps more like UHD players. UHD players cost 400 dollars, Chromecast cost 70. If you compare it to roku or similar devices you would see that those devices work the same way as the Chromecast. They do not convert audio. If the tv can't handle DD+ then they send stereo. This can be found on forums for these devices and also on the streaming apps forums. If your tv doesn't support DD+ you get stereo.

2. I understand you say your tv supports DD+, but from your experience and others experience I don't think it actually supports it the way you think it does. I believe it supports DD+ via built in streaming only. Because if it supported it fully then it would accept DD+ from the chromecast and convert it to DD before outputting it to ARC.

The problem here is not the Chromecast, it is your tv is not compatible with what you are trying to do. The device is not suppose to be converting audio types, it is up to the receiving equipment to do that. Like I said before, on netflix in Vudu the shows that have DD+ do not also have DD. They only have DD+ so either you have a device capable of that or you don't.

Now I understand from what you are saying that with the samsung player it works. So does this mean you are using only 1 hdmi out of your UHD player and running that to the tv then running the tv to the avr via arc? If so the UHD player is likely the only device out there that will convert audio types.

Now I am not saying they can't release a firmware for other devices to fix this but it really isn't their issue, its the issue of your tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1210 Old 02-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
2. I understand you say your tv supports DD+, but from your experience and others experience I don't think it actually supports it the way you think it does. I believe it supports DD+ via built in streaming only. Because if it supported it fully then it would accept DD+ from the chromecast and convert it to DD before outputting it to ARC.

The problem here is not the Chromecast, it is your tv is not compatible with what you are trying to do. The device is not suppose to be converting audio types, it is up to the receiving equipment to do that. Like I said before, on netflix in Vudu the shows that have DD+ do not also have DD. They only have DD+ so either you have a device capable of that or you don't.

Now I understand from what you are saying that with the samsung player it works. So does this mean you are using only 1 hdmi out of your UHD player and running that to the tv then running the tv to the avr via arc? If so the UHD player is likely the only device out there that will convert audio types.

Now I am not saying they can't release a firmware for other devices to fix this but it really isn't their issue, its the issue of your tv.
This is why I asked if they were sure the content they were watching was 5.1. I have my CCU connected to my receiver even though it's not a supported configuration. I get PCM when the content is stereo. I get DD when the content is encoded with it. Zero issues.

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
post #363 of 1210 Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 5368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
This is why I asked if they were sure the content they were watching was 5.1. I have my CCU connected to my receiver even though it's not a supported configuration. I get PCM when the content is stereo. I get DD when the content is encoded with it. Zero issues.
Yep, it was definitely 5.1 content but I did appreciate you asking before we started down this path.

I could plug mine into my Receiver as well and get Dolby Digital + but unfortunately my AVR doesn't support 4K pass-through so I am 'stuck' using it in Google's supported configuration since only my TV supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

Quote:
A few things, I recognize the problems you are having suck. And I know the Ultra is not perfect.

Spoiler!
I can agree with both those statements.

And nice to see that the Chromecast Ultra has a cheerleader like yourself in their camp even with the current issues plaguing many owners but based on the posts I have been reading there is not an overwhelming amount of support even on the Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) where 'Grace Y' says everything should be working.

Just to end this discussion (at least for me) let's just assume you are 100% right and that Dolby is 100% wrong even when they claim that:

Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for Dolby Digital playback.
Perhaps it is a bit of both and maybe Google took the easy way out (which has back-fired) since from what I have learned the Chromecast 2 provided an Optical out so it could be routed to the AVR to provide Dolby Digital 5.1 since at that time no televisions provided Dolby Digital + over ARC but at least this allowed the millions of homes in the world to enjoy 5.1 audio even from sources streaming Dolby Digital Plus like those from Netflix.

To answer your question regarding how I have my UBD-K8500 Samsung Player hooked up, under normal circumstances I am using method 2 -- using dual HDMI cables for the obvious reasons of sending Dolby TrueHD and Dolby DTS Master Audio to my Receiver since lossless is not possible for any of us via ARC -- but for the purpose of my test the answer is yes, I ran only 1 hdmi out of my UHD player to my TV which is connected to my AVR using ARC.

I really can't keep going round in circles with you with comments of yours like this...

Quote:
Like I said before, on netflix in Vudu the shows that have DD+ do not also have DD. They only have DD+ so either you have a device capable of that or you don't.
...because then you have to accept that my cheap little Apple TV from several years ago when hooked up directly to my TV can magically turn this DD+ stream into DD 5.1 from shows broadcast on Netflix.

And I really have no desire spending anymore time participating in a thread that started with your initial reply to my first post where you said...

Quote:
Have you tried any external player besides the samsung player to test? The samsung player is actually different than using any other devices because samsung products communicate using anynet for cec to get information from other samsung devices.

In fact on samsungs webpage it says if you want 5.1 from other devices you need to connect them via optical to an avr. So your issue seems to be with your tv not your chromecast.
With regards to your first paragraph, Samsung does use HDMI-CEC, but like some manufacturers who use a number of buzz words to describe the same thing, Samsung calls their ARC implementation Anynet + and for all intents and purposes it performs the same functions. As a matter of fact attached is a screen print from the UBD-K8500 Ultra BD Player settings both you and I own and you will see that in brackets they include the words HDMI-CEC just like my Samsung TV settings and my Marantz A/V Receiver who calls their ARC functionality simply HDMI-CEC.

As for the second paragraph, 100% not true. The Evo Kit, which follows the same standards as the 2015 JS series as well as the 2016 series, can pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus from any device without the need for having any optical connections in the chain whatsoever!

I have no desire to participate in this thread any further where every time you reply to one of my posts you have made incorrect statements (e.g. Samsung uses Anynet instead of HDMI-CEC; Optical connections required to get DD) or ignored materials from Dolby labs or tried to put your own spin on everything... right down to the blog written by the Engineering Director or the countless articles written on the internet as well as in print.

You even have taken that one step further by saying we made a "mistake buying a TV that didn't support Dolby Digital +" even though I have provided you with the codecs our TV supports as well as a demonstration of the same Ultra HD player we both own that you could have hooked up and tried it yourself... as well as a couple of other devices to show that they have no problem turning Dolby Digital + into DD 5.1 just like Dolby labs says!

In my case, my primary reason for purchasing the Chromecast Ultra was for streaming YouTube HDR which is only stereo as you know, and since I am able to get DD 5.1 and DD+ as well as the lossless audio formats where applicable (e.g. discs), I have no problems working around the issues but was expecting more from a device that I thought would stream DD 5.1 just like the previous generation.

Personally I would be more concerned as an owner of any of the TVs that support Dolby Vision since Google has yet to deliver on their promise of a Dolby Vision HDR firmware update for the LG's and apparently have broken YouTube HDR for some Vizio owners like yourself based on the following posts from a few days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King J Gregory View Post
Ok, so I just bought a Chromecast ultra to specifically watch YouTube videos in HDR and it's not working. I have color subsampling turned on and I'm getting hdr:no in the display settings. Is this a known issue? Has anybody actually had success with chromecast ultra to watch hdr content via YouTube?
Quote:
The last update for chromecast killed HDR for our tv unless the device is running through and AVR.
Google is working on a fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by King J Gregory View Post
That's a bummer. Was hoping for some cool clips to showcase the HDR on this set. YouTube HDR on the built in cast doesn't work, the YouTube app on Xbox one s doesn't work with HDR, the Chromecast ultra doesn't work with YouTube HDR. I've tried downloading clips in mkv on a USB and those won't play on this tv either. I'm kinda becoming disenchanted with this thing. Any recommendations for wow factor type material?
I hope for the sake of ALL OF US that the next generation of the Chromecast Ultra provides at least the same audio features as the previous generation without having to purchase a new TV especially when they all don't offer Dolby Digital Plus over ARC... or in some cases a new Receiver may be required for Dolby Vision over ARC because not all manufacturers will be updating their firmware even though Dolby says...

Quote:
Dolby Vision can technically be routed through any equipment starting at version v1.4.b and above, however, the device needs to be aware of the kind of signal properties that differentiate Dolby Vision from a standard SDR signal. To this effect, we have issued a compatibility SDK that several manufacturers have already used to obtain pass-through compatibility on upcoming products. Compatibility on existing products is something that could possibly achieved as well, but is of course at the discretion of each manufacturer/OEM.

Source: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...16tPvSUCRJg.97
...who knows what to believe anymore!

Sad state of affairs that the average consumer doesn't have the prerequisites to understand any of this stuff let alone trying to buy anything that is going to work together a year from now including a guy like yourself...

Quote:
Weird Since Yamaha talked to me about Dolby Vision and I was told my AVR would not be getting an update to accept it. Doesn't sound like a non disclosure agreement.
But I could have been given bad information.
Quote:
It doesn't currently pass Dolby Vision, though it may with a future firmware update. It is enough to make want to wait. I wish I didn't buy my AVR knowing this information now.
To put the shoe on the other foot, so much as you want to tell us that "buying a tv that doesn't support Dolby Digital + is just simply a mistake", I guess we could say the same about the A/V Receiver you bought that doesn't pass Dolby Vision eh!

Initially I didn't think this was going to be an issue since it sounded like all you needed was a A/V Receiver that was HDMI 1.4b compliant (and obviously HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 for HDR10). Even though this is what Dolby seems to be implying in the Sound and Vision article, it doesn't sound like manufacturers are promising anything for their recent models except in a few cases.

Hey but at the end of the day, I paid $45 USD for my Chromecast Ultra so really not that concerned but you have to respect the fact other guys are and I think the overriding reason most people like @korsjs , @ergalthema , @galonzo , @PJL99 , @lmclouth and myself thought that Dolby Digital 5.1 was a non-issue is because, as I have mentioned [several times now], the old Chromecast 2 could do it!

Breaking News: FOR ANY OF US USING THE SAMSUNG UBD-K8500 Ultra HD BLU-RAY PLAYER WITH OUR DISPLAYS -- The latest firmware revision (v. 1010.1) enabled Netflix HDR10 which means we will be able to stream DD+ instead of DD 5.1 for those relying on the TV's built in app. Read all about it here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50921345

And so on that note I can pretty much watch everything in HDR10 with Dolby Digital Plus audio where applicable from my various devices as well as YouTube HDR from the Chromecast Ultra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anynet.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	1983049  
Rudy1, lmclouth, galonzo and 1 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-20-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added Breaking News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1210 Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Yep, it was definitely 5.1 content but I did appreciate you asking before we started down this path.

I could plug mine into my Receiver as well and get Dolby Digital + but unfortunately my AVR doesn't support 4K pass-through so I am 'stuck' using it in Google's supported configuration since only my TV supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

I can agree with both those statements.

And nice to see that the Chromecast Ultra has a cheerleader like yourself in their camp even with the current issues plaguing many owners but based on the posts I have been reading there is not an overwhelming amount of support even on the Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) where 'Grace Y' says everything should be working.

Just to end this discussion (at least for me) let's just assume you are 100% right and that Dolby is 100% wrong even when they claim that:

Perhaps it is a bit of both and maybe Google took the easy way out (which has back-fired) since from what I have learned the Chromecast 2 provided an Optical out so it could be routed to the AVR to provide Dolby Digital 5.1 since at that time no televisions provided Dolby Digital + over ARC but at least this allowed the millions of homes in the world to enjoy 5.1 audio even from sources streaming Dolby Digital Plus like those from Netflix.

To answer your question regarding how I have my UBD-K8500 Samsung Player hooked up, under normal circumstances I am using method 2 -- using dual HDMI cables for the obvious reasons of sending Dolby TrueHD and Dolby DTS Master Audio to my Receiver since lossless is not possible for any of us via ARC -- but for the purpose of my test the answer is yes, I ran only 1 hdmi out of my UHD player to my TV which is connected to my AVR using ARC.

I really can't keep going round in circles with you with comments of yours like this...

...because then you have to accept that my cheap little Apple TV from several years ago when hooked up directly to my TV can magically turn this DD+ stream into DD 5.1 from shows broadcast on Netflix.

And I really have no desire spending anymore time participating in a thread that started with your initial reply to my first post where you said...

With regards to your first paragraph, Samsung does use HDMI-CEC, but like some manufacturers who use a number of buzz words to describe the same thing, Samsung calls their ARC implementation Anynet + and for all intents and purposes it performs the same functions. As a matter of fact attached is a screen print from the UBD-K8500 Ultra BD Player settings both you and I own and you will see that in brackets they include the words HDMI-CEC just like my Samsung TV settings and my Marantz A/V Receiver who calls their ARC functionality simply HDMI-CEC.

As for the second paragraph, 100% not true. The Evo Kit, which follows the same standards as the 2015 JS series as well as the 2016 series, can pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus from any device without the need for having any optical connections in the chain whatsoever!

I have no desire to participate in this thread any further where every time you reply to one of my posts you have made incorrect statements (e.g. Samsung uses Anynet instead of HDMI-CEC; Optical connections required to get DD) or ignored materials from Dolby labs or tried to put your own spin on everything... right down to the blog written by the Engineering Director or the countless articles written on the internet as well as in print.

You even have taken that one step further by saying we made a "mistake buying a TV that didn't support Dolby Digital +" even though I have provided you with the codecs our TV supports as well as a demonstration of the same Ultra HD player we both own that you could have hooked up and tried it yourself... as well as a couple of other devices to show that they have no problem turning Dolby Digital + into DD 5.1 just like Dolby labs says!

In my case, my primary reason for purchasing the Chromecast Ultra was for streaming YouTube HDR which is only stereo as you know, and since I am able to get DD 5.1 and DD+ as well as the lossless audio formats where applicable (e.g. discs), I have no problems working around the issues but was expecting more from a device that I thought would stream DD 5.1 just like the previous generation.

Personally I would be more concerned as an owner of any of the TVs that support Dolby Vision since Google has yet to deliver on their promise of a Dolby Vision HDR firmware update for the LG's and apparently have broken YouTube HDR for some Vizio owners like yourself based on the following posts from a few days ago...

I hope for the sake of ALL OF US that the next generation of the Chromecast Ultra provides at least the same audio features as the previous generation without having to purchase a new TV especially when they all don't offer Dolby Digital Plus over ARC... or in some cases a new Receiver may be required for Dolby Vision over ARC because not all manufacturers will be updating their firmware even though Dolby says...

...who knows what to believe anymore!

Sad state of affairs that the average consumer doesn't have the prerequisites to understand any of this stuff let alone trying to buy anything that is going to work together a year from now including a guy like yourself...

To put the shoe on the other foot, so much as you want to tell us that "buying a tv that doesn't support Dolby Digital + is just simply a mistake", I guess we could say the same about the A/V Receiver you bought that doesn't pass Dolby Vision eh!

Initially I didn't think this was going to be an issue since it sounded like all you needed was a A/V Receiver that was HDMI 1.4b compliant (and obviously HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 for HDR10). Even though this is what Dolby seems to be implying in the Sound and Vision article, it doesn't sound like manufacturers are promising anything for their recent models except in a few cases.

Hey but at the end of the day, I paid $45 USD for my Chromecast Ultra so really not that concerned but you have to respect the fact other guys are and I think the overriding reason most people like @korsjs , @ergalthema , @galonzo , @PJL99 , @lmclouth and myself thought that Dolby Digital 5.1 was a non-issue is because, as I have mentioned [several times now], the old Chromecast 2 could do it!

Breaking News: FOR ANY OF US USING THE SAMSUNG UBD-K8500 Ultra HD BLU-RAY PLAYER WITH OUR DISPLAYS -- The latest firmware revision (v. 1010.1) enabled Netflix HDR10 which means us we will be able to stream DD+ instead of DD 5.1 for those relying on the TV's built in app. Read all about it here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50921345
Man you literally ignore anything anyone tells you, I wouldn't participate with the thread anymore if I were you either. You are set on bashing a product and not actually looking for help.

1.First off I made no incorrect statement. This is from Samsungs website about ARC and 5.1 here is the link to what I made up "http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049106/"

2. Second you want to keep mentioning the few devices that work with DD+ to DD but ignore the plethora of streaming devices that don't. Do a search and you will see tons of devices will only do PCM when the shows they are playing only offer DD+.

3. I am not some chromecast fanboy and have started threads listing its faults. The problem is what you are complaining about doesn't fall into that category. Your complaint is that DD+ is backwards compatible and should be converted. Well that doesn't fall on the device you are playing it from. It needs to be converted somewhere and your tv is saying nope I won't accept DD+. Why not call Samsung and complain that their tv that says it supports DD+ doesn't. Since with that support it should convert it to DD then send it via arc.
post #365 of 1210 Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man you literally ignore anything anyone tells you, I wouldn't participate with the thread anymore if I were you either. You are set on bashing a product and not actually looking for help.

1.First off I made no incorrect statement. This is from Samsungs website about ARC and 5.1 here is the link to what I made up "http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049106/"

2. Second you want to keep mentioning the few devices that work with DD+ to DD but ignore the plethora of streaming devices that don't. Do a search and you will see tons of devices will only do PCM when the shows they are playing only offer DD+.

3. I am not some chromecast fanboy and have started threads listing its faults. The problem is what you are complaining about doesn't fall into that category. Your complaint is that DD+ is backwards compatible and should be converted. Well that doesn't fall on the device you are playing it from. It needs to be converted somewhere and your tv is saying nope I won't accept DD+. Why not call Samsung and complain that their tv that says it supports DD+ doesn't. Since with that support it should convert it to DD then send it via arc.
First off, I was never looking for help. I was offering help to a few guys asking for help and if you see my posts as bashing the product when it is Google that is saying they only support the device when it is directly hooked up to a TV with the sound coming through the TV speakers well then, yep, I am guilty of bashing.

Secondly I try not to ignore things but initially you said...

Quote:
In fact on samsungs webpage it says if you want 5.1 from other devices you need to connect them via optical to an avr. So your issue seems to be with your tv not your chromecast.
...which wasn't very helpful because it might have alleviated some of the angst if you had of provided the link since Samsung has more that a single webpage so I could read that in context and how it applied to my TV.

And here is the clincher, when I address the above in my response to your #1 , even if I tell you that devices connected to the Samsung TVs don't need an optical cable connected to the AVR to get DD 5.1, I doubt that is going to change things for you anyways.

Finally as a long-time Samsung owner who has provided a ton of support to other owners both on the Samsung TV threads as well as the Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player thread, I think I have a better understanding of how their 4K HDR TV's work than a Vizio owner.

#1 - I sincerely apologize for saying you made an incorrect statement. Now that you have provided the link I see the bullet you are referring to that says:

• To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI cable and connect a 5.1 home theater system directly to the external device's digital audio output connector.

That's what it says but as far as my TV goes (that you have castigated by saying it isn't capable even thought I have provided you with the codecs it supports which include both Dolby Digital AND Dolby Digital Plus), the above bullet published by Samsung is not true when HDMI-CEC is enabled on both the TV and AVR. I have no optical cables in my configuration.

All I can say is trust me and @korsjs and @ergalthema and @galonzo and @PJL99 and @lmclouth . The 2013 and 2014 TVs without the Evo Kits required an optical connection to get DD 5.1 and needed to be hooked up just like the bullet you linked to states but that is not the case anymore. Since the link refers to the KU series perhaps this is unique to them but I suspect it is typographical in nature and a carry over from the old days.

# 2 - Yep, I do keep talking about a few devices because you asked if I had tried anything other than the UBD-K8500 so I tested every device I owned and they all worked as stated, and pretty much blow this argument out of the water that you have made a number of times...

Quote:
Like I said before, on netflix in Vudu the shows that have DD+ do not also have DD. They only have DD+ so either you have a device capable of that or you don't.
...since every single one of them passed DD 5.1 when connected directly to the TV to the AVR even with an app such as Netflix was sending Dolby Digital Plus.

# 3 - No, it's you that wants to keep on saying it is our TVs that are at fault which I take exception to as I am pretty sure the rest of the guys who make up the majority of TV owners would too.

This position you have taken (and haven't backed off of) that we made a "mistake buying a TV that didn't support Dolby Digital +" comes off as you thinking your 2016 P Vizio is better than everyone else's TV.

As I have said now multiple times my TV can receive a Dolby Digital Plus signal and pass it to the AVR as DD 5.1 (contrary to #1 ) and the reason that I initially stated that I believed the Chromecast Ultra was having EDID issues which I thought might help cast some light on why the Vizio and LG owners are not seeing HDR implemented correctly at this point and perhaps provide a solution for all of us.

Blaming Samsung when their TVs can pass-through DD+ to a AVR as DD 5.1 under every single test I have ever done is ludicrous -- especially when you turn around and say there are a "plethora of streaming devices that don't". Once again if we hold that argument up to the light well then it's not our TVs now is it?!! It's the device and let me remind you and the readers that that the Chromecast 2 provides DD 5.1 via the use of an optical connection that was eliminated on the Chromecast Ultra.

Without seeing the design specifications neither you nor I or anyone else for that matter are ever going to know what Google's intentions were with the new Chromecast Ultra but considering the press did not mention any features being removed typically one can have a reasonable expectation none will be... especially something as important as surround sound.

Two Steps Forward and One Step Back

Further to this plethora of devices you bring up, please note that this is the ***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread where I have now stated too many times to remember that I was under the impression, just like a lot of people on this thread, other AVS Forum threads, as well as the Chromecast Help Forum that the Chromecast Ultra would be at least as functional as the Chromecast 2 with the ADDED features of 4K, Dolby Vision, HDR10 and VP9 Profile 2.

You know what is wrong with this picture @shortyg83 is that you want this device to provide Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10 to you as promised -- and I want it to work for the Vizio and the LG owners too -- but it seems to be OK with you if they no longer provide support for Dolby Digital 5.1 like they were able to provide on the Chromecast 2 which I reckon will impact some of the TVs that support Dolby Vision but not Dolby Digital Plus over ARC.

I didn't think for a minute that they would SUBTRACT features like Dolby Digital 5.1 so sorry for my criticisms that you view as complaints.

If you feel differently than that then we can just agree to disagree.

Rudy1, lmclouth, galonzo and 1 others like this.

post #366 of 1210 Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

You do not have an SEK, correct? I suggest you might not understand how it actually works in the field. You may think you understand how it works on paper, but that really does not count. Hours of testing the actual SEK with multiple devices, plus nearly two years using it from when it was first released, is what does count.

Magician is a de facto Samsung SEK-3500 expert as evideced by his (correct and accurate) multitude of posts documenting his actual experiences and positive responses to them in the SEK forum. You are not. In my opinion you cannot be fully informed about an actual SEK operation because you don't own one. Those of us that do own an SEK and a CCU (plus multiple other devices) don't need to argue with you. We know how the SEK works with the CCU and how it works with other devices.

You do appear to have a strong inclination to tell us we're wrong. In trying to understand why I must rely on Occam's razor: "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected." Based on this, you do seem like a "Chromecast fanboy."
Musician likes this.
post #367 of 1210 Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Arguing back and forth here is not going to fix anything. Contact the two companies and tell them they don't work together. That's all you can do. It's worked for us in the Vizio thread. Otherwise this thread is becoming a soap-opera with all the back and forth. Please just stop.
mcholthaus likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #368 of 1210 Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Arguing back and forth here is not going to fix anything. Contact the two companies and tell them they don't work together. That's all you can do. It's worked for us in the Vizio thread. Otherwise this thread is becoming a soap-opera with all the back and forth. Please just stop.
Although it is not going to fix anything my initial posts were merely an attempt to enlighten owners of the Samsung (and other TVs) that surround sound from the Netflix and Vudu apps did not work unless the TV supported Dolby Digital Plus over ARC -- the rest is history.

I do hear you, but wouldn't that be 4 companies. In my case:

a) Google (Chromecast Ultra)
b) Samsung (TV)
c) Marantz (Receiver)
d) Netflix (Content)

Since b) and c) and d) already work from several devices I have tested, what am I going to say to those manufacturers?

I guess the only thing I could tell them is that a) Google has already said on the Chromecast Help Forum that they `only support the Chromecast Ultra when it is hooked up directly to a TV playing sound through the TV Speakers` and I guess Samsung, Marantz, and Netflix would reply with "So why are you bugging us?!!".

I would suggest that anybody considering the Chromecast Ultra to consider waiting for other Media Players on the horizon to start pouring in.

For example, the next generation Fire TV can be ordered on Amazon.com and will be available for free shipping on March 2, 2017 at around the same price as the Chromecast Ultra.

Although I haven't done anything in the way of research at this point to see what it supports and don't want to turn this into the Official All-New Fire TV thread but if the following quote is any indication at least it appears that Amazon is responsive to the needs of it's customers in the past based on the following article published back in October 2016 specifically addressing an issue with surround sound...

Quote:
As promised, Amazon has started rolling out a software update for the 2nd-gen Fire TV that fixes the missing surround sound issue in third-party apps. The new software version number is 5.0.2.2 (531006420) and has appeared on Amazon’s source code page. Reddit user charveyunm has received the update and says it restored surround sound in Netflix, HBO GO, and Kodi.

Source: http://www.aftvnews.com/software-upd...d-gen-fire-tv/
Although the Specs for the next generation of the Fire TV don't mention HDR, this quote indicates that it will but who knows these days.

Quote:
Amazon updated its Fire TV Stick late in 2016, improving the hardware and UI, but it’s finally bringing the update, officially, to the UK. Available for pre-order from 21 February 2017 and shipping to customers from 6 April, the new Stick will replace the current Fire TV Stick in the range and will be sold alongside the pricier 4K HDR Amazon Fire TV box.

Source: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/media...ce-and-release
Like I said, who know what to believe anymore based on Google's promise to deliver HDR that still is not working several months after the release of the Chromecast Ultra for most owners of TVs that support Dolby Vision (or even HDR10 for that matter that apparently used to work on the Vizios prior to the firmware update that broke it), so please don't take my word for it!

Everyone have a nice day and enjoy your toys!

post #369 of 1210 Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think people are "arguing back and forth..." Those that have hands-on experience with the exact equipment in question (the SEK, the CCU, and other input devices) are simply trying to make clear what the facts are based on real-world observations. If someone else wishes to dispute those facts based on no hands-on experience with the exact hardware, then they certainly can express their opinion. But opinions are not facts, so there is no argument going on. The point of the ongoing effort is to dispel the inaccuracies of statements made by those that do not have the devices in question. Again those statements are opinions, not facts.
galonzo and Musician like this.

Last edited by PJL99; 02-21-2017 at 03:46 PM.
post #370 of 1210 Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 499
My Chromecast ultra that I received about an hour ago just paid for itself, Including the new pair of underwear.
My GOD the demos on YouTube. 🤓

LG b6
I am routing it through a Pioneer 301 Avr and it works perfectly.
PJL99 and Musician like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #371 of 1210 Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
You do not have an SEK, correct? I suggest you might not understand how it actually works in the field. You may think you understand how it works on paper, but that really does not count. Hours of testing the actual SEK with multiple devices, plus nearly two years using it from when it was first released, is what does count.

Magician is a de facto Samsung SEK-3500 expert as evideced by his (correct and accurate) multitude of posts documenting his actual experiences and positive responses to them in the SEK forum. You are not. In my opinion you cannot be fully informed about an actual SEK operation because you don't own one. Those of us that do own an SEK and a CCU (plus multiple other devices) don't need to argue with you. We know how the SEK works with the CCU and how it works with other devices.

You do appear to have a strong inclination to tell us we're wrong. In trying to understand why I must rely on Occam's razor: "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected." Based on this, you do seem like a "Chromecast fanboy."
Actually yes I do own a SEK. 78" samsung tv upgraded with sek3500
shoman94 likes this.
post #372 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually yes I do own a SEK. 78" samsung tv upgraded with sek3500
Enough of this nonsense.

Although I trust Musician fully, I ran an independent verification process for his assertions about the CCU, other devices, and DD5.1 pass through from the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit connected to a Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TV. Here are the results, including some photographic evidence:

When a Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray player running the Netflix app with content that is 5.1 (House of Cards, Season 4) is hooked up to the SEK HDMI2 (see photo 1), the app displays "5.1" confirming that it is 5.1 content. The audio is passed to a Denon X2100W AVR DD5.1 via SEK HDMI4 (ARC). As you can see in photo 2, the AVR is receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and processing it correctly. (The Denon displays "Dolby D" for DD5.1.) This occurred without changing any settings on any device. This is because the TV is capable of acceting the Netflix DD+ signal and passing a DD5.1 signal out via ARC. (The same occurs when I "cast" to the Blu-ray player using an Android tablet app: DD5.1 is passed from the SEK via ARC to the AVR.)

When the CCU is hooked up to the SEK HDMI2, when casting the identical Netflix content using the same Android tablet app, the audio passed from the SEK via ARC to the AVR is ONLY STEREO (see photo 3). For grins I plugged a Chromecast Generation 1 into the SEK HDMI2 and cast the same Netflix content. Again, ONLY STEREO was passed from the SEK via ARC to the TV. Both the CCU and Chromecast Generation 1 output DD+ when plugged directly into the AVR.

I believe I proved and validated Musician's assertions concerning SEK DD5.1 pass through from sources other than the CCU. I further demonstrated it with a Chromecast Generation 1. It would seem that Google does not know how to properly handle Dolby signals when attached to a TV. Oh, and for grins I substituted an optical connection between the SEK and the AVR. Everything BUT the Chromecast devices passed DD5.1 to the AVR. The Chromecast devices only passed stereo.

shortyg83, what specific model number is your TV? Also, what is the full model number for the SEK? As an aside, it appears you've never posted in the 2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit thread, the OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread, or the **Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** (which is unusual based on the number of your posts in the "Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please" thread, "The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread" and the "The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread." So perhaps you're not all that familiar with how the TV and SEK actually work. There are discussions there on how the actual SEK-3500U/ZA handles Dolby Digital+ signals and how it down mixes them to Dolby Digital 5.1 for output via ARC and optical. Perhaps you are working on outdated information. Prior to the SEK, the TVs did NOT pass DD5.1, only stereo. So your information may be out of date.

(shortyg83, in a prior post in this thread, you seemed a bit fuzzy about how Samsung's Anynet+ works. That is included in the other threads too if you need to bone up on the current implementation.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blu-ray Netflix Showing DD5.1 on HDMI2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1989281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blu-ray Netflix Showing DD5.1 via ARC on AVR.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1989289   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCU Netflix Showing only Stereo via ARC.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1989297  
galonzo and Musician like this.
post #373 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Enough of this nonsense.

Although I trust Musician fully, I ran an independent verification process for his assertions about the CCU, other devices, and DD5.1 pass through from the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit connected to a Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA TV. Here are the results, including some photographic evidence:

When a Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray player running the Netflix app with content that is 5.1 (House of Cards, Season 4) is hooked up to the SEK HDMI2 (see photo 1), the app displays "5.1" confirming that it is 5.1 content. The audio is passed to a Denon X2100W AVR DD5.1 via SEK HDMI4 (ARC). As you can see in photo 2, the AVR is receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and processing it correctly. (The Denon displays "Dolby D" for DD5.1.) This occurred without changing any settings on any device. This is because the TV is capable of acceting the Netflix DD+ signal and passing a DD5.1 signal out via ARC. (The same occurs when I "cast" to the Blu-ray player using an Android tablet app: DD5.1 is passed from the SEK via ARC to the AVR.)

When the CCU is hooked up to the SEK HDMI2, when casting the identical Netflix content using the same Android tablet app, the audio passed from the SEK via ARC to the AVR is ONLY STEREO (see photo 3). For grins I plugged a Chromecast Generation 1 into the SEK HDMI2 and cast the same Netflix content. Again, ONLY STEREO was passed from the SEK via ARC to the TV. Both the CCU and Chromecast Generation 1 output DD+ when plugged directly into the AVR.

I believe I proved and validated Musician's assertions concerning SEK DD5.1 pass through from sources other than the CCU. I further demonstrated it with a Chromecast Generation 1. It would seem that Google does not know how to properly handle Dolby signals when attached to a TV. Oh, and for grins I substituted an optical connection between the SEK and the AVR. Everything BUT the Chromecast devices passed DD5.1 to the AVR. The Chromecast devices only passed stereo.

shortyg83, what specific model number is your TV? Also, what is the full model number for the SEK? As an aside, it appears you've never posted in the 2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit thread, the OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread, or the **Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** (which is unusual based on the number of your posts in the "Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please" thread, "The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread" and the "The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread." So perhaps you're not all that familiar with how the TV and SEK actually work. There are discussions there on how the actual SEK-3500U/ZA handles Dolby Digital+ signals and how it down mixes them to Dolby Digital 5.1 for output via ARC and optical. Perhaps you are working on outdated information. Prior to the SEK, the TVs did NOT pass DD5.1, only stereo. So your information may be out of date.

(shortyg83, in a prior post in this thread, you seemed a bit fuzzy about how Samsung's Anynet+ works. That is included in the other threads too if you need to bone up on the current implementation.)

UN78HU9000 Got the SEK 3500 off ebay I don't know where to find the full model # of it but if you tell me where to check I can.
I will post pics. And the reason I don't post in its forum is because the tv is not my main used tv. Share a house with a friend and we both went out and bought tvs. I got the 75" vizio P he bought the samsung open box at best buy. Every tv I own out side of the 1 vizio is a Samsung. I am sorry I don't post about them to your likeness.

And your response also clearly shows you are not reading anything I have said and just arguing for the fun of it. Chromecast is not the only device that works like this. There are tons that do, its posted all over the internet. Do some research.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	samsung.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1989361   Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1989377  
post #374 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
UN78HU9000 Got the SEK 3500 off ebay I don't know where to find the full model # of it but if you tell me where to check I can.
I will post pics. And the reason I don't post in its forum is because the tv is not my main used tv. Share a house with a friend and we both went out and bought tvs. I got the 75" vizio P he bought the samsung open box at best buy. Every tv I own out side of the 1 vizio is a Samsung. I am sorry I don't post about them to your likeness.

And your response also clearly shows you are not reading anything I have said and just arguing for the fun of it. Chromecast is not the only device that works like this. There are tons that do, its posted all over the internet. Do some research.
If you post a list of the other devices that "work like this" including links to their specifications it may help you establish some credibility. I am not arguing for the fun of it; I am posting detailed technical information, based on almost two-years experience with the SEK and some very detailed testing, to counter your assertions. I did not include in my other post that I also tested a Roku and Fire TV stick. They both work properly when plugged into the SEK. DD5.1 is passed to the AVR, unlike the Chromecast devices. How many devices have you tested with the SEK to see if they pass DD5.1 or just stereo?
post #375 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you post a list of the other devices that "work like this" including links to their specifications it may help you establish some credibility. I am not arguing for the fun of it; I am posting detailed technical information, based on almost two-years experience with the SEK and some very detailed testing, to counter your assertions. I did not include in my other post that I also tested a Roku and Fire TV stick. They both work properly when plugged into the SEK. DD5.1 is passed to the AVR, unlike the Chromecast devices. How many devices have you tested with the SEK to see if they pass DD5.1 or just stereo?
Are you kidding me? I am not doing all your research for you. But literally the Roku forums say it doesn't work. Your detailed tech information is incorrect. The videos you are playing do not have DD5.1. And Chromecast does not convert it. And it does not have to. So passing dd5.1 doesn't exactly matter.
Yes they can change it with firmware on either the Chromecast or the tv. But it isnt technically anything working wrong. It is just not converting DD+ to DD.

Ah hell here are examples that took 2 seconds to find.

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?2693-DD-And-Vudu

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-...-dd-51-6731216

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...onversion.html

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=64871

Legit written on the roku 3 page

"FYI,
* Netflix has an option to output “surround sound” in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (5.1DD+).
* The “surround sound” (from Roku) is a pass-through audio signal and requires an AV-receiver (or a new TV) capable of decoding “5.1 Dolby Digital Plus” (5.1DD+).
* Netflix also have an option to output “Stereo sound” in 2ch PCM.
* Stereo/PCM audio format is supported on all TVs & AV-receivers.

* Most TVs & legacy AV-receivers do not decode "Dolby Digital Plus” (DD+), that will result to no sound from titles encoded in DD+.
* [for Netflix, M-GO & Vudu channels], if Roku3 is not connected to an AV-receiver capable of decoding DD+, it is recommended to set Roku3 "Audio mode" to "Stereo" ( home > settings > Audio mode > “Stereo”). then reboot Roku3 to make sure all settings take affect."
post #376 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I am not doing all your research for you. But literally the Roku forums say it doesn't work. Your detailed tech information is incorrect. The videos you are playing do not have DD5.1. And Chromecast does not convert it. And it does not have to. So passing dd5.1 doesn't exactly matter.
Yes they can change it with firmware on either the Chromecast or the tv. But it isnt technically anything working wrong. It is just not converting DD+ to DD.

Ah hell here are examples that took 2 seconds to find.

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?2693-DD-And-Vudu

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-...-dd-51-6731216

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...onversion.html

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=64871

Legit written on the roku 3 page

"FYI,
* Netflix has an option to output “surround sound” in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus (5.1DD+).
* The “surround sound” (from Roku) is a pass-through audio signal and requires an AV-receiver (or a new TV) capable of decoding “5.1 Dolby Digital Plus” (5.1DD+).
* Netflix also have an option to output “Stereo sound” in 2ch PCM.
* Stereo/PCM audio format is supported on all TVs & AV-receivers.

* Most TVs & legacy AV-receivers do not decode "Dolby Digital Plus” (DD+), that will result to no sound from titles encoded in DD+.
* [for Netflix, M-GO & Vudu channels], if Roku3 is not connected to an AV-receiver capable of decoding DD+, it is recommended to set Roku3 "Audio mode" to "Stereo" ( home > settings > Audio mode > “Stereo”). then reboot Roku3 to make sure all settings take affect."
1. "The videos you are playing do not have DD5.1." Actually the content I was playing does. Netflix House of Cards Season 4 is 5.1, and the image of the screen in the first photo I posted shows the information indicating the audio (and video for that matter) that is displayed by Netflix. I posted this because in another post you alleged that testing was done for content that was not 5.1. The Netflix information display clearly shows "English/5.1." Apparently you missed this.
2. "Your detailed tech information is incorrect." The technical information I posted was based on hands-on testing. Have you done testing to dispute the results I presented?
3. "It is just not converting DD+ to DD." By it I presume you mean the CCU. The CCU is incorrectly determining that the SEK cannot process 5.1, so it is only sending stereo to SEK. It's not a matter of conversion. The 5.1 stream is a subset of a DD+ stream.
4. "* The “surround sound” (from Roku) is a pass-through audio signal and requires an AV-receiver (or a new TV) capable of decoding “5.1 Dolby Digital Plus” (5.1DD+)." The SEK does decode Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). So what is your point?
5. The links you posted are certainly interesting, but the do not have any pertinence with the subject of the SEK and the CCU. All they seem to be saying is that you don't get DD+ over ARC (although there are exceptions) which we already know, or explain interesting technical details that don't pertain because the SEK does pass 5.1 from other sources that are DD+ (except for the Chromecast that is). The Vudu link is from 2008 and the Roku link is from 2013. This discussion is about the CCU and the SEK in 2017.

So what is your point again? What testing have you personally performed? If you've done some, please post the details analogous to what I posted so that we can understand your conclusions.

One thought on your SEK. What version of the firmware is running on it?
post #377 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. "The videos you are playing do not have DD5.1." Actually the content I was playing does. Netflix House of Cards Season 4 is 5.1, and the image of the screen in the first photo I posted shows the information indicating the audio (and video for that matter) that is displayed by Netflix. I posted this because in another post you alleged that testing was done for content that was not 5.1. The Netflix information display clearly shows "English/5.1." Apparently you missed this.
2. "Your detailed tech information is incorrect." The technical information I posted was based on hands-on testing. Have you done testing to dispute the results I presented?
3. "It is just not converting DD+ to DD." By it I presume you mean the CCU. The CCU is incorrectly determining that the SEK cannot process 5.1, so it is only sending stereo to SEK. It's not a matter of conversion. The 5.1 stream is a subset of a DD+ stream.
4. "* The “surround sound” (from Roku) is a pass-through audio signal and requires an AV-receiver (or a new TV) capable of decoding “5.1 Dolby Digital Plus” (5.1DD+)." The SEK does decode Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). So what is your point?
5. The links you posted are certainly interesting, but the do not have any pertinence with the subject of the SEK and the CCU. All they seem to be saying is that you don't get DD+ over ARC (although there are exceptions) which we already know, or explain interesting technical details that don't pertain because the SEK does pass 5.1 from other sources that are DD+ (except for the Chromecast that is). The Vudu link is from 2008 and the Roku link is from 2013. This discussion is about the CCU and the SEK in 2017.

So what is your point again? What testing have you personally performed? If you've done some, please post the details analogous to what I posted so that we can understand your conclusions.

One thought on your SEK. What version of the firmware is running on it?

NO

Wrong House of Cards Season 4 does not have DD5.1 it has DD+5.1, your tv does not support that.

2. 3. "It is just not converting DD+ to DD." By it I presume you mean the CCU. The CCU is incorrectly determining that the SEK cannot process 5.1, so it is only sending stereo to SEK. It's not a matter of conversion. The 5.1 stream is a subset of a DD+ stream.

No it really isn't, DD+ needs to be downcoded to DD.

My point is your tv does not support what netflix is using. Netflix does not have both DD5.1 and DD+5.1 on the same shows. If it has DD+5.1 then that is all it has. And there are tons of streaming devices that do not convert this, chromecast is one of many that will not convert it by itself. So there for you tv is correctly getting PCM 2.0 which without conversion is all it can handle.

First off the SEK isn't from 2017 it is from 2015. Second the SEK isn't some special device. It is a the tvs main Processor being located outside of the tv. Nothing more than that. Besides being upgradeable it works just like any tv with the same specs, meaning all those links directly apply to your SEK which does not support DD+.

Really have no idea what you guys don't understand.
post #378 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Me either!

Either the component downgrades the DD+ to DD or it doesn't. The CCU does not. Complain to Google and complain to Samsung for added support. Stop arguing about nothing. It works or it doesn't..... Jesus

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #379 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NO

Wrong House of Cards Season 4 does not have DD5.1 it has DD+5.1, your tv does not support that.

2. 3. "It is just not converting DD+ to DD." By it I presume you mean the CCU. The CCU is incorrectly determining that the SEK cannot process 5.1, so it is only sending stereo to SEK. It's not a matter of conversion. The 5.1 stream is a subset of a DD+ stream.

No it really isn't, DD+ needs to be downcoded to DD.

My point is your tv does not support what netflix is using. Netflix does not have both DD5.1 and DD+5.1 on the same shows. If it has DD+5.1 then that is all it has. And there are tons of streaming devices that do not convert this, chromecast is one of many that will not convert it by itself. So there for you tv is correctly getting PCM 2.0 which without conversion is all it can handle.

First off the SEK isn't from 2017 it is from 2015. Second the SEK isn't some special device. It is a the tvs main Processor being located outside of the tv. Nothing more than that. Besides being upgradeable it works just like any tv with the same specs, meaning all those links directly apply to your SEK which does not support DD+.

Really have no idea what you guys don't understand.
The SEK does indeed support DD+. See the attached screen shot from the SEK manual. I've highlighted the codec in question. The Blu-ray player app I tested with outputs DD+ for House of Cards, and as indicated in my prior post DD5.1 is passed from the SEK to the AVR. It's the CCU that did not do this.

"We guys" understand very well. That understanding is based on real-world testing and documented results, in addition to extensive research. Unless you have some specific information to present such as testing results, I don't think you have much more to add to this discussion. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Codecs.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1989601  
post #380 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It accepts it but doesn't pass it thru ARC correct? What you want is the CCU to downgrade the signal for you so it passes via ARC.

So you either complain to Google and ask for that function and/or complain to Samsung and ask them to add DD+ pass thru or for the TV to downgrade it.

post #381 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The SEK does indeed support DD+. See the attached screen shot from the SEK manual. I've highlighted the codec in question. The Blu-ray player app I tested with outputs DD+ for House of Cards, and as indicated in my prior post DD5.1 is passed from the SEK to the AVR. It's the CCU that did not do this.

"We guys" understand very well. That understanding is based on real-world testing and documented results, in addition to extensive research. Unless you have some specific information to present such as testing results, I don't think you have much more to add to this discussion. Thanks.
The SEK only supports dolby Digital plus via built in apps not via HDMI.
post #382 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I never said the SEK supported DD+ via HDMI ARC. Consistent with the HDMI ARC standard, it supports DD5.1 over ARC, which is what all devices tested except the CCU provided.
post #383 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never said the SEK supported DD+ via HDMI ARC. Consistent with the HDMI ARC standard, it supports DD5.1 over ARC, which is what all devices tested except the CCU provided.

I didn't say arc i said hdmi. It didn't accept it from external devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #384 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing to get a little testy but don't you think using the Lord's name in vain to express your frustration is a little over the top...

Quote:
Me either!

Either the component downgrades the DD+ to DD or it doesn't. The CCU does not. Complain to Google and complain to Samsung for added support. Stop arguing about nothing. It works or it doesn't..... Jesus
...but I do agree, that some devices are able to pass a DD+ signal through to the Receiver as DD 5.1 while the Chromeast does not... unless of course it is plugged into a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus over ARC. Wisest thing said all day. Praise the Lord.

Initially when @shortyg83 included a link in >> this post << to the following thread directly below my post titled "Why does the Chromecast Ultra only provide Stereo output from the Netflix app when connected to my Samsung TV?", I thought he was trying to be helpful...

Dolby Digital Plus over ARC

I assumed he provided that link because he trusted the information provided by the thread starter @scarabaeus which he was moving over from the "Vizio 2016 P Series thread, because it was getting too off topic there" which began:

Quote:
DD+ can carry Dolby Atmos from smart TV apps to an AVR or Soundbar. So far, few TVs support this feature.
Pretty simple so far eh?!!

It also included this important fact:

Quote:
HDMI ARC has capability negotiation, using HDMI CEC messages, while SPDIF does not. This means, an ARC source (TV) can determine which audio formats are understood by the ARC receiver (AVR, Soundbar), while an SPDIF source can just try and send stuff and hope for the best. Mainly for this reason, SPDIF is usually limited to the 48 kHz realm (DD, DTS and stereo PCM), and often can not support the 96 and 192 kHz formats (96 kHz PCM, DD+, DTS-HD High Resolution). Cables and connectors are another limiting factor, often not supporting the frequency range for 192 kHz.
Notice the part I underlined which indicates an ARC source "can" determine which audio formats are understood by the ARC receiver. In an ideal world so would the Chromecast Ultra just like the other devices I tried. As a matter of fact, I'll give the CCU credit since it had no problems sending regular DD 5.1.

It goes on to say:

Quote:
BD and UHD Blu-ray, Vudu UHD streams, and other sort of "premium" content comes with "premium" immersive audio, mostly Atmos. A lot of TV maker did not prepare for that, and are still downgrading DD+ content to DD before sending it out on ARC. So, we get plain 2.0 or 5.1 with the spiffy new UHD HDR 4K video.
Again, note the part I bolded in red. What caught my eye is the part I underlined above. And if we read the next sentence it says "So we get plain 2.0 or 5.1 with the spiffy new UHD HDR 4K video".

So there we have it -- for the TV makers who didn't prepare for Dolby Digital Plus over ARC, some devices like the ones I tested are able to negotiate and pass DD+ through my TV via ARC to my Receiver as DD 5.1 while the Chromecast Ultra is limited to 2.0.

I had a conversation with an industry insider and, without providing him any of the information written above, here is his candid remark which pretty much sums up @scarabaeus eloquent post...

Quote:
If the Chromecast and Roku manufacturers had gotten the memo, then "passthrough" would work as intended because... it ISN'T entirely up to the TV sets to pass through the audio. The HDMI-connected device has to be told basically to ignore the damn display's stereo speakers and instead look at the multichannel capabilities of the AVR at the end of the chain..."
To paraphrase the above, that is exactly what is going on with the devices I used to test to see how the Samsung TV would handle each device when plugged directly into the Samsung TV's (SEK-3500) HDMI inputs that do not support 'Dolby Digital Plus over ARC' and as it has been discussed to death in the last couple of weeks, they were all able to pass DD+ to the TV and reach the AVR as DD 5.1.

I think at this point most of us will agree that logically all devices "could" send through DD 5.1 when they encounter a DD+ audio signal if they look downstream to the Receivers. Maybe in the next generation of the Chromecast Ultra or a competitors streaming device or maybe this can be delivered in a firmware update to the Chromecast Ultra like @shortyg83 suggested in an earlier post.

At the end of the day, owners of TV's that provide Dolby Digital Plus over ARC have nothing to worry about when it comes to the best audio currently available over ARC from the Chromecast Ultra device while the rest of the world has to be cognizant of how a given device will work with their setup and whether or not that is important to them if DD+ content is only passed to their AVR as Stereo.

Personally I don't care since my primary reason for purchasing the Chromecast Ultra was so I could play YouTube HDR content (which is only Stereo anyways) since I have other devices capable of streaming Netflix in HDR with DD+.

Time to go and watch some 4K HDR content!

Edit

Quote:
Actually the SEK only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 via the built in apps via HDMI (ARC) or SPDIF.
shoman94, galonzo and PJL99 like this.

Last edited by Musician; 02-23-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Inserted clarification that the SEK-3500 only sends DD 5.1 via built in apps
post #385 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It accepts it but doesn't pass it thru ARC correct? What you want is the CCU to downgrade the signal for you so it passes via ARC.

So you either complain to Google and ask for that function and/or complain to Samsung and ask them to add DD+ pass thru or for the TV to downgrade it.

Samsung already does this. The Blu-ray player apps I tested output DD+ via HDMI (tested on Netflix and Vudu). This was confirmed. When plugged into the SEK, the SEK then passes DD5.1 to the AVR via ARC. The CCU does not do this. So which is it: the SEK does pass a DD+ signal as DD5.1 over ARC, or it doesn't. The CCU clearly doesn't. What component is not working properly? I don't think asking Samsung to do something their SEK is already doing will solve this issue.

It's clear the SEK is capable of doing this. It's unlikely Google is going to pass DD+ to allow the SEK to "downgrade it" to DD5.1. And this issued has been around since the Chromecast Generation 1. So why would they change now?

Last edited by PJL99; 02-23-2017 at 08:33 PM.
post #386 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Good evening, first time poster here (although mentioned here previously by my good friend @Musician , whom I previously discussed this issue with via PM).

I just wanted to add additional confirmation that this device isn't behaving like other devices with regards to passing DD via ARC through the SEK-3500/U.

Like @Musician posted, I, too can connect my UBD-K8500 directly into the SEK (via HDMI, of course), and I get DD via ARC to my AVR.

This is also the case when I connect my Amazon Fire TV Stick into the SEK; I get DD via ARC to my AVR (and yes, I tried it direct into the AVR and got DD+ when I continued the same show, which was the last episode of The Grand Tour).

I'm sure this would also be the case if I tried yet another device, but I see others have confirmed as much with Sony BRPs, Apple TVs, etc.

Simply put, this device isn't getting the message that the SEK can accept the DD+ signal and send the core DD out via ARC (like @PJL99 provided from the manual); the CCU doesn't need to do the conversion, but rather send the DD+ signal on, so that the next device can take it from there (in this case the SEK-3500/U).
PJL99 and Musician like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #387 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Samsung already does this. The Blu-ray player apps I tested output DD+ via HDMI (tested on Netflix and Vudu). This was confirmed. When plugged into the SEK, the SEK then passes DD5.1 to the AVR via ARC. The CCU does not do this. So which is it: the SEK does pass a DD+ signal as DD5.1 over ARC, or it doesn't. The CCU clearly doesn't. What component is not working properly? I don't think asking Samsung to do something their SEK is already doing will solve this issue.

It's clear the SEK is capable of doing this. It's unlikely Google is going to pass DD+ to allow the SEK to "downgrade it" to DD5.1. And this issued has been around since the Chromecast Generation 1. So why would they change now?
So when using ARC, the sek says hey CCU, I can't receive DD+ and push it thru ARC. The CCU says hey can you push stereo thru? Sek says yea... OK here you go......

Your Blu-ray player says hey SEK can you pass thru DD+, the sek says no, well the BP says, what if I downgrade it to DD, SEK says heck yea send that to me.

So the CCU can only send either DD+ or stereo.... That's it and since the TV can't downgrade it, it doesn't accept it when using ARC.

So they both work to their design. It's a not a defect. But if you want added function you have 2 options, ask Google to also send DD+ as DD if DD+ cannot be accepted or ask Samsung to add the function of downgrading the DD+ signal to DD when DD+ can't be used.

There is so much compromise with the equipment we use today.

post #388 of 1210 Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Good evening, first time poster here (although mentioned here previously by my good friend @Musician , whom I previously discussed this issue with via PM).

I just wanted to add additional confirmation that this device isn't behaving like other devices with regards to passing DD via ARC through the SEK-3500/U.

Like @Musician posted, I, too can connect my UBD-K8500 directly into the SEK (via HDMI, of course), and I get DD via ARC to my AVR.

This is also the case when I connect my Amazon Fire TV Stick into the SEK; I get DD via ARC to my AVR (and yes, I tried it direct into the AVR and got DD+ when I continued the same show, which was the last episode of The Grand Tour).

I'm sure this would also be the case if I tried yet another device, but I see others have confirmed as much with Sony BRPs, Apple TVs, etc.

Simply put, this device isn't getting the message that the SEK can accept the DD+ signal and send the core DD out via ARC (like @PJL99 provided from the manual); the CCU doesn't need to do the conversion, but rather send the DD+ signal on, so that the next device can take it from there (in this case the SEK-3500/U).
Like Shoman just pointed out, your UBD-K8500 is not sending your tv DD+ and then your tv is outputting DD. The UBD-K8500 is a device that can downcode DD+. So it is only sending your tv Dolby Digital. The chromecast is not a device that can do this.
post #389 of 1210 Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Quote:
Like Shoman just pointed out, your UBD-K8500 is not sending your tv DD+ and then your tv is outputting DD. The UBD-K8500 is a device that can downcode DD+. So it is only sending your tv Dolby Digital. The chromecast is not a device that can do this.
But what about the lowly, $30 Amazon Fire TV stick? Surely the CCU can do this conversion if the Fire TV stick can, eh? Well it doesn't need to, because the Fire TV stick just sends DD+ to the SEK, then the SEK sends out the core DD signal to the AVR via ARC.

Time to take you and Mr. @shoman94 to school; I present to you, irrefutable video proof

Since we cannot see the incoming audio signal on our TVs via "Info", lucky for you two, I also own the Oppo UDP-203; which has an HDMI input capable of passing through audio (and video) via bitstream (i.e. no processing, just straight passthrough) through the main HDMI out, and displaying the incoming signal.

You'll see in the Oppo's info display (at 0:07s) that:
  • In the upper-left corner, the incoming signal from the Fire TV stick is in fact DD+,
  • the bottom-left shows video and audio output signal information on the "Main" HDMI out (which is Bitstream for audio),
  • and in the bottom-right you'll see that that I disconnected the "Audio Only" HDMI out;

I then pan to my AVR, which displays the incoming signal as DD 5.1 from the SEK via ARC, evidenced by the 5.1 speaker icons that are lit up. Finally, I go into the TV settings to show that the TV is indeed connected to my AVR via HDMI (ARC).

When I re-connect the "Audio Only" HDMI output from the 203 to the AVR and switch to that input on the AVR, I obviously get DD+ displayed on the AVR (attached).

Good day, sirs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DDplus.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1990625  
Rudy1, korsjs and Musician like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hobbs & Shaw and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #390 of 1210 Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think Shoman is an expert on this but he'll please correct me if I am wrong.

My initial post that took us down this long and winding road was pointing out that as far as the Chromecast Ultra goes, when connected to a TV that doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC it will only output Stereo... period but right from the get go you have taken it upon yourself to interpret our words as if we were "bashing" the Chromecast.

If you are now deferring the topic to @shoman94 I welcome talking to someone who can look at things from both sides of the equation.

So let me repeat some of the information from the Dolby Digital Plus over ARC thread and examine these important facts:

Quote:
HDMI ARC has capability negotiation, using HDMI CEC messages, while SPDIF does not. This means, an ARC source (TV) can determine which audio formats are understood by the ARC receiver (AVR, Soundbar)...
Quote:
BD and UHD Blu-ray, Vudu UHD streams, and other sort of "premium" content comes with "premium" immersive audio, mostly Atmos. A lot of TV maker did not prepare for that, and are still downgrading DD+ content to DD before sending it out on ARC. So, we get plain 2.0 or 5.1 with the spiffy new UHD HDR 4K video.
Before we talk about "downcode" as you put it, lets read the above again. It says "A lot of TV maker did not prepare for that, and are still downgrading DD+ content to DD before sending it out on ARC.

You seem to think it's the device that does the downcoding.

The above says it's the TV and that has been my experience from day 1 going all the way back to the TV you say you own (Samsung 78") before the SEK-3500 changed things. Prior to the introduction of the SEK Evo Kit, even when the TV received a DD 5.1 signal it did not have the capability to pass it to the AVR as 5.1 so THE TV DOWNGRADED IT TO STEREO before passing the signal to the Receiver.

We were all pleased when the SEK-3500 added the ability to decode DD+ and DD 5.1 and pass it to the Receiver as DD 5.1 instead of Stereo.

This has worked flawlessly for all the devices I have had hooked up directly to the SEK in the past and present including my old Arris STB, a new 4K Arris STB / PVR, my BD-7500 Blu-ray Player, my UBD-K8500 4K Blu-ray Player, and even my cheap old Apple TV.

To add to the above list @PJL99 pointed out that he had tested his Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray player which also was able to pass DD+ to his AVR as DD 5.1.

At this point I think you are just arguing for the sake of hearing the sound of the keys click on your keyboard. Here is one of the points you were trying to make with me the other day when you were convinced I was being inaccurate...

Quote:
A few things, I recognize the problems you are having suck. And I know the Ultra is not perfect. But I think your complaints are not completely acurate.
1. You say the Chromecast should be able to support apps more like UHD players. UHD players cost 400 dollars, Chromecast cost 70. If you compare it to roku or similar devices you would see that those devices work the same way as the Chromecast. They do not convert audio. If the tv can't handle DD+ then they send stereo. This can be found on forums for these devices and also on the streaming apps forums. If your tv doesn't support DD+ you get stereo.
So @PJL99 tested out a couple of these including the Roku that you have been going on and on about:

Quote:
I did not include in my other post that I also tested a Roku and Fire TV stick. They both work properly when plugged into the SEK. DD5.1 is passed to the AVR, unlike the Chromecast devices.
To add to the list, @galonzo tried out the Firestick as well and his results back up what @PJL99 said:

Quote:
But you want to ignore the most important point of @galonzo 's post where you paraphrased @shoman94 , by saying:

Quote:
Actually that is not quite right. Here is what @galonzo and the rest of us think:

Quote:
And that is what we have being saying all along!

What is your issue dude? Should all the Samsung TV owners (and those who own TVs that don't support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC) run out and buy the Chromecast Ultra and only get Stereo from content that outputs Dolby Digital Plus such as Netflix? Would you have preferred that we kept quiet on this shortcoming of the Chromecast Ultra?

Two weeks you have argued about this when all I was trying to do in my initial post was offer some help and let all the Samsung owners know that the Chromecast Ultra is an exception to the rule with Netflix DD+ content and only sends Stereo to our TVs.

As a matter of fact I also enlightened a couple of 2016 Vizio P owners including @shoman94 who was a bit confused about my initial post since he wasn't having issues with DD 5.1 so although he probably didn't want to, he is almost an expert on how the Samsung lineup is able to receive DD+, process it, and output it since the TV has the essential codecs required to do this -- both Dobly Digital Plus AND Dolby Digital.

He can speak for himself but let's defer to @shoman94 who would probably prefer that you let this go, but as a fellow 2016 Vizio P like yourself, has probably come to the conclusion that it isn't the device that needs to downgrade the DD+ signal -- it's the TV -- but in the case of the Chromecast Ultra (and maybe even some other devices) it's just not getting the DD+ signal like it is from all those other devices we have mentioned on this thread. Some of those devices are very old such as my Apple TV that surely didn't get some sort of overhaul hardware upgrade when Netflix decided to send DD+ instead of DD.

Just before posting this I see @galonzo has added some irrefutable video proof and also caught on that you seem to respond only to parts of peoples posts while ignoring more germane parts... or even ignore entire posts like the one that @shoman94 Liked last night where I was trying to diplomatically lay out how others in the A/V community understand the pass-through of audio signals while trying to avoid a pissing match.

Maybe an apology is in order to the guys who have been reading this thread like @korsjs , @ergalthema , @galonzo , @PJL99 , @lmclouth as well as others who have been following it like @Rudy1 not to mention the guys on the SEK-3500 thread who have thanked me for making them aware of this.

We have just tried to be helpful and I am sorry that @shoman94 had to get caught up in the middle of your inaccurate assessment of how pass-through works. Your posts have done nothing more than confuse people or make them waste their time wading through this thread responding to your claims that in some cases are WAY off the mark even going so far as saying the Roku works the same as the Chromecast which we now know isn't true either thanks to @PJL99 .

I write one post letting guys know that the Chromecast will only output Stereo from DD+ content on most TV makes and model that has spawned off 34 posts.

Absolutely ridiculous!!!
Rudy1, lmclouth, korsjs and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Musician; 02-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page