***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 567Likes

post #421 of 1212 Old 02-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Hey guys, can we move on please. I'm the OP and will have the mods come clean up the thread if it continues.

Thanks.
Can you edit post number one to include what is allowed to be discussed about the ultra. No sarcasm, but I have received a few infractions and want to make sure I am clear what is allowed to be discussed.

For example, price talk is typically not allowed. I have seen price talk in regards to both the ultra and fire tv in this thread. For example, if I said you can save 15 dollars if you buy an ultra and home together, is that allowed? Or if someone said the ultra is currently 10 off, would that be against the intent of your thread?

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1212 Old 02-25-2017, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
Can you edit post number one to include what is allowed to be discussed about the ultra. No sarcasm, but I have received a few infractions and want to make sure I am clear what is allowed to be discussed.

For example, price talk is typically not allowed. I have seen price talk in regards to both the ultra and fire tv in this thread. For example, if I said you can save 15 dollars if you buy an ultra and home together, is that allowed? Or if someone said the ultra is currently 10 off, would that be against the intent of your thread?
I'm referring more to the back and forth of "I'm right, you're wrong." Obviously, it's not getting us anywhere.

As you said, typically price talk is not allowed. I'm not sure what the rules are on a device that is so inexpensive to start.
korsjs likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #423 of 1212 Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I'm referring more to the back and forth of "I'm right, you're wrong." Obviously, it's not getting us anywhere.

As you said, typically price talk is not allowed. I'm not sure what the rules are on a device that is so inexpensive to start.
thanks. from reading many, many posts, the infractions and deletion of price talking posts is dependent on if there is a moderator interested in the thread, which moderator, and also very inconsistent. there is a moderator in ray's hdr thread who is very censor heavy. he does do a good job at cleaning the bickering up, but goes overboard on petty stuff.

the posts have not been deleted from this thread because i am assuming there is not a moderator who reads this thread and no one has reported anything.

for some reason i see another infraction coming my way.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500

Last edited by korsjs; 02-25-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: word correction and grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Good Grief!
^ Agree.
Newby here. I've read thru this entire thread and endured the tirade over CCU's inability to pass DD or DD+ via ARC to my AVR. Only doing my due diligence in support of planned purchase of a CCU to view YouTube HDR video on my LG OLEDB6.

I have an LG OLEDB6 and Denon X6300H wanting to cast YouTube & maybe Netflix HDR videos. For DD or DD+ via ARC, sounds like I should go with the Amazon TV Firestick with soon to be released firmware. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if something better is available. Any recommendations for my planned use?

Last edited by kematt; 03-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #425 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by kematt View Post
^ Agree.
Newby here. I've read thru this entire thread and endured the tirade over CCU's inability to pass DD or DD+ via ARC to my AVR. Only doing my due diligence in support of planned purchase of a CCU to view YouTube HDR video on my LG OLEDB6.

I have an LG OLEDB6 and Denon X6300H wanting to cast YouTube & maybe Netflix HDR videos. For DD or DD+ via ARC, sounds like I should go with the Amazon TV Firestick with soon to be released firmware. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if something better is available. Any recommendations for my planned use?
In your case, you can simply plug it into your AVR and enjoy DD+, all while passing through the HDR video to your display (edit: this goes for the apps that support said features, of course).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)

Last edited by galonzo; 03-01-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added clarification
post #426 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
In your case, you can simply plug it into your AVR and enjoy DD+, all while passing through the HDR video to your display (edit: this goes for the apps that support said features, of course).
Must use front USB port on the Denon from what I have read which I don't want to do. I'd like to plug in hidden behind TV and forget about it without CCU hanging out front of AVR. It appears the CCU will not pass DD from TV to AVR, only stereo. I read in a post of this thread that an upcoming firmware upgrade to the Amazon TV Fire Stick will cast HDR UHD to TV and pass DD or maybe even DD+ to my Denon X7300H via ARC. Anyone know for sure if this is true?
post #427 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Must use front USB port on the Denon from what I have read which I don't want to do. I'd like to plug in hidden behind TV and forget about it without CCU hanging out front of AVR. It appears the CCU will not pass DD from TV to AVR, only stereo. I read in a post of this thread that an upcoming firmware upgrade to the Amazon TV Fire Stick will cast HDR UHD to TV and pass DD or maybe even DD+ to my Denon X7300H via ARC. Anyone know for sure if this is true?
Well, not exactly; this device connects via HDMI. Mine is currently plugged in the back of my X4200W (for testing purposes), and passes 4KHDR to the TV and plays DD+ for Netflix.
PJL99 likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Shield
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
post #428 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Well, not exactly; this device connects via HDMI. Mine is currently plugged in the back of my X4200W (for testing purposes), and passes 4KHDR to the TV and plays DD+ for Netflix.
Sorry...meant front HDMI & X6300H. Anyone with a X6300H know if rear HDMI port will accept Chromecast Ultra cast, play DD+ and pass UHD HDR to TV?
post #429 of 1212 Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Sorry...meant front HDMI & X6300H. Anyone with a X6300H know if rear HDMI port will accept Chromecast Ultra cast, play DD+ and pass UHD HDR to TV?
There are no differences in capabilities between the rear HDMI ports and the front port. This is consistent across the Denon line.
galonzo likes this.
post #430 of 1212 Old 03-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Anyone with a X6300H know if rear HDMI port will accept Chromecast Ultra cast, play DD+ and pass UHD HDR to TV?
I was just working with a configuration like the one you describe. CCU > X6300H > B6P. CCU into rear HDMI 7 on Denon. 4K60 4:2:2 video output, auto-switching between BT.709 and BT.2020. HDR-10 signaling works for Netflix, YouTube, but not PLEX. No DoVi for Netflix, VUDU (expected). Banding/posterization when routing 4:2:2 HDR-10 through Denon. DD+ 5.1 bitstream available from Netflix, VUDU. CCU will send PCM decode for some content. VUDU Atmos metadata passes correctly for 5.1. DD+ 7.1 not working from VUDU. No Atmos metadata with 7.1. Also noted an HDMI sync / HDCP authorization issue where the CCU would shut down to 2K if the Denon powers up on an input without an active HDCP 2.2 sync.
galonzo and Musician like this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #431 of 1212 Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Anyone with a X6300H know if rear HDMI port will accept Chromecast Ultra cast, play DD+ and pass UHD HDR to TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
I was just working with a configuration like the one you describe. CCU > X6300H > B6P. CCU into rear HDMI 7 on Denon. 4K60 4:2:2 video output, auto-switching between BT.709 and BT.2020. HDR-10 signaling works for Netflix, YouTube, but not PLEX. No DoVi for Netflix, VUDU (expected). Banding/posterization when routing 4:2:2 HDR-10 through Denon. DD+ 5.1 bitstream available from Netflix, VUDU. CCU will send PCM decode for some content. VUDU Atmos metadata passes correctly for 5.1. DD+ 7.1 not working from VUDU. No Atmos metadata with 7.1. Also noted an HDMI sync / HDCP authorization issue where the CCU would shut down to 2K if the Denon powers up on an input without an active HDCP 2.2 sync.
Thanks for the great response. Somewhat over my head but appears I will have no problem casting Netflix/Youtube to my X6300H with DD+ Netflix audio output and UHD HDR pass thru to my LG OLED65P
post #432 of 1212 Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownRide View Post
Has anyone looked into the issue I reported? That YouTube 4K UHD videos are no longer playing in 2160p UHD via Chromecast Ultra. You must look carefully because the info on the Chromecast Ultra always displays 2160p no matter what resolution is playing. You can tell by looking at the YouTube video title/description when it first plays and/or when you pause/play. It displays "HD" instead of "UHD" ....because it's playing in 720p-1440p, which is "HD". If it's actually playing in 2160p, it'll display "UHD". Second, the stats for nerds will show that the videos are not playing in 2160p. Third, your tv Menu will show the actual resolution. For example, my Vizio displays the actual RECEIVED resolution not the assumed or labeled resolution in the Menu under System Information - then scroll down to resolution - mine shows 1080p when playing YouTube 4K UHD videos via Chromecast Ultra.

This was reported to be a "known issue" in the Chromecast Suppprt forum back in December and then they declared it "fixed". But it's not...or more likely, it's broken again.

Anyone else having this issue? Any info? Any known fixes? Thanks!
No issues here.

Before we begin, just to set you straight, the YouTube header will either show 'HD' or '4K' (not 'UHD') but it will say 4K HDR when playing High Dynamic Range content now available on YouTube cast to the Chromecast Ultra. Trust me, I have been viewing YouTube in 4K since 2015 on my TV when the VP9 chipset became available.

Since you mentioned in your previous post that you have lost the ability to view 4K YouTube videos in 2160p on the following:

• Chromecast Ultra
  • Vizio TV (both using Chromecast Ultra and the VIA YouTube App)
  • On every device (Android, iOS, TV, etc.)
  • In every browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
  • In mobile mode on all my devices (Android Note 5, iOS iPad Pro 12.9)
  • And on your iMac running Lion OS X 10.7.5

...I am going to go out on a limb and say it has nothing to do with Chromecast Ultra or it wouldn't be affecting unrelated devices.

My first inclination would be that it is my internet connection or some setting in those YouTube accounts you mentioned in your previous post but I am unfamiliar with accounts since I don't have one.

I watch 4K YouTube videos almost every day from several different devices including my Samsung TV app, my UHD Blu-ray Player app, as well as YouTube videos cast from my iPad to the Chromecast Ultra and in all cases they display in 4K. Stats for Nerds on both my TV & UHD BD Player show 3840x2160 for all the videos you asked us to check and, like yourself, my TV also shows the actual RECEIVED resolution.

I have attached photos of the Costa Rica 4K video playing as well as a picture of my TV showing the 'Received Resolution'.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YouTube Header.JPG
Views:	1552
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	2009657   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Resolution Received.JPG
Views:	1556
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2009665  
galonzo and PJL99 like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
post #433 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post

I have attached photos of the Costa Rica 4K video playing as well as a picture of my TV showing the 'Received Resolution'.

Good luck!
What button are you pressing to get the "Received Resolution"? Is it the "Input" button on the Vizio?

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #434 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

It sounds like you're sourcing from different devices than I mentioned. Not the YouTube App on a mobile device .

I revolved the missing 2160p issues everywhere else by creating a completely new YouTube account.

Chromecast Ultra still does not play in 2160p .

One of the main features of the Chromecast Ultra is the ability to stream/play YouTube 4K UHD videos in actual UHD (2160p or higher) and HDR is not required.

My TV is on the Chromecast Ultra approved/compatible devices list for 4K & 4K UHD videos on YouTube and it streams 4K UHD in every other instance on every other platform and App just fine.

Chromecast Ultra is not casting/streaming in 2160p 4K UHD on YouTube 4K UHD videos via mobile YouTube Apps for me at all.....and new users are adding to the Chromecast Support threads (Official Google Chromecast Support) almost daily, reporting the same issue.

Vizio sent a tech to my house just in case and replaced all the internal components of my brand new TV. The tech was stumped. Then he discovered the same problems with HIS YouTube account & Apps both while on my service call and when he got home & checked YouTube 4K on his own devices there.

May I ask what source (s) you're using to cast YouTube 4K UHD videos to your TV via your Chromecast Ultra?

Are you using an iPad, iPhone, Android, etc., snd are you using the YouTube Apps on those or a browser? It doesn't sound like it.

Or are you using a PC or Mac running Yosemite or later?

(Or possibly are you using a Roku, Fire TV, NVidia Shield, etc?)

Because the problem lies in the mobile APPS &/or using Chromecast Ultra to source from iPads, iPhones, Android smartphones, and older Macs. Again, one of the features of the Chromecast Ultra is to cadt in actual 2160p the YouTube 4K UHD videos..( PCs, newer Macs, Roku, Shield, Fire TV, etc., have not had issues.)

Since this is a failure of a main feature of Chromecast Ultra, I would not only like a fix but to see who else DOES and Does NOT have the same or similar problem.
I get 2160p from YouTube on my Chromecast Ultra whether it's connected to my Vizio Display or my AVR. Currently only HDR works when connected to my AVR though.
When you cast, are you using the cast button in the app or are you using the cast function that the phone has which is really screen mirroring?

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #435 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I get 2160p from YouTube on my Chromecast Ultra whether it's connected to my Vizio Display or my AVR. Currently only HDR works when connected to my AVR though.
When you cast, are you using the cast button in the app or are you using the cast function that the phone has which is really screen mirroring?

Agreed @TopDownRide , you can only cast the max resolution of your device if you're using screen mirroring. I'm also getting 2160 for YT via the CCU.
PJL99 and Musician like this.

post #436 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

1) It sounds like you're sourcing from different devices than I mentioned. Not the YouTube App on a mobile device .

2) I revolved resolved the missing 2160p issues everywhere else by creating a completely new YouTube account.

3) Chromecast Ultra still does not play in 2160p .

One of the main features of the Chromecast Ultra is the ability to stream/play YouTube 4K UHD videos in actual UHD (2160p or higher) and HDR is not required.

4) My TV is on the Chromecast Ultra approved/compatible devices list for 4K & 4K UHD videos on YouTube and it streams 4K UHD in every other instance on every other platform and App just fine.

5) Chromecast Ultra is not casting/streaming in 2160p 4K UHD on YouTube 4K UHD videos via mobile YouTube Apps for me at all.....and new users are adding to the Chromecast Support threads (Official Google Chromecast Support) almost daily, reporting the same issue.

Vizio sent a tech to my house just in case and replaced all the internal components of my brand new TV. The tech was stumped. Then he discovered the same problems with HIS YouTube account & Apps both while on my service call and when he got home & checked YouTube 4K on his own devices there.

6) May I ask what source (s) you're using to cast YouTube 4K UHD videos to your TV via your Chromecast Ultra?

Are you using an iPad, iPhone, Android, etc., snd are you using the YouTube Apps on those or a browser? It doesn't sound like it.

Or are you using a PC or Mac running Yosemite or later?

(Or possibly are you using a Roku, Fire TV, NVidia Shield, etc?)

Because the problem lies in the mobile APPS &/or using Chromecast Ultra to source from iPads, iPhones, Android smartphones, and older Macs. Again, one of the features of the Chromecast Ultra is to cadt cast in actual 2160p the YouTube 4K UHD videos..( PCs, newer Macs, Roku, Shield, Fire TV, etc., have not had issues.)

7) Since this is a failure of a main feature of Chromecast Ultra, I would not only like a fix but to see who else DOES and Does NOT have the same or similar problem.
I have numbered your questions and comments to make it easier to respond.

1) I am sourcing from my iPad's YouTube app. That was in my initial reply and were the basis of the pictures I provided...

Quote:
...I watch 4K YouTube videos almost every day from several different devices including my Samsung TV app, my UHD Blu-ray Player app, as well as YouTube videos cast from my iPad to the Chromecast Ultra and in all cases they display in 4K...
2) Good to know you have resolved the issue on all your other devices.

3) I am aware of the capabilities of the Chromecast Ultra.

4) Good to know your TV is on the list (whatever that is). I was under the impression if the TV was 4K and had an empty HDMI input you were good to go!

5) So others are experiencing the same problem, adding to Chromecast's Support threads daily and even the repair guy that Vizio sent out couldn't resolve the issue, and furthermore, when he got home he discovered he was having the same issue!!! So, what do you think, that Google can't figure it out nor can Vizio but somebody here has the answer?

I am a Samsung TV owner and I know guys with the Vizio P's at least are able to cast to it. Why not visit the thread for your TV?

6) As mentioned, I am using my iPad's YouTube app to cast to the Chromecast Ultra. The two pictures I posted last night showed the TV screen so this morning I have added one additional picture to the series of my iPad's screen while casting to my Chromecast Ultra. As you can see I have several devices I can cast to all in 4K but the Chromecast Ultra allows me the added benefit of casting 4K HDR content...

7) By the way, I understand you are "furious and frustrated" as you mentioned in your first post which is maybe why some guys were reluctant to get involved, but no need to think I can't read by capitalizing words in your last sentence where you said:

Quote:
Since this is a failure of a main feature of Chromecast Ultra, I would not only like a fix but to see who else DOES and Does NOT have the same or similar problem.
You can add me to the "Does NOT" column.

Quote:
And thank you for "setting me straight". It was an error due to fatigue and fast, repetitive typing, not ignorance. Basically, a typo. But we don't want anyone confusing the details!
No worries. I didn't want people looking at the pictures I posted and thinking it doesn't say 'UHD'.

Oh and one more thing, and I guess this was also a typo, on top of a typo when in your second post you said:

Quote:
Btw....I made a typo I can't fix. The HDMI port is 2.2 60Hz. Not 1.2
No such thing as HDMI 2.2 so you either meant to type HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.0a.

Good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
What button are you pressing to get the "Received Resolution"? Is it the "Input" button on the Vizio?
Good morning @lujan . I don't own the Vizio so it probably won't help you if I tell you it is the SOURCE button on the Samsung remote followed by a press of the Arrow Down and then selecting 'Information'.

Perhaps this might help you:

Quote:
...For example, my Vizio displays the actual RECEIVED resolution not the assumed or labeled resolution in the Menu under System Information - then scroll down to resolution...

Edit

But without trying to throw a red herring into all this discussion, even if you cast 1080p content to the Chromecast Ultra it upscales everything to 3840 x 2160 @ 60 so the 4K badge on the YouTube header shown in the 2nd picture above is the true indicator as to what your TV is receiving via the Chromecast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Casting to Device.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	2009897  
shoman94, galonzo and PJL99 like this.

Last edited by Musician; 03-06-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added additional photo
post #437 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the Vizio P75, the information area gives you what the TV is receiving. Like whats been posted, you have to look at YouTube's info....

shortyg83 and Musician like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #438 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a good example.... Video shows HD but system info shows 4k.

post #439 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@TopDownRide :

Just going back to your post from yesterday (Post 434), where you asked "Has anyone looked into the issue I reported?", based on the points you made and the replies provided by other owners supported with pictures, it really has me wondering if you are using the Chromecast Ultra correctly.

To quote you:

Quote:
You can tell by looking at the YouTube video title/description when it first plays and/or when you pause/play. It displays "HD" instead of "UHD" "4K" ....because it's playing in 720p-1440p, which is "HD". If it's actually playing in 2160p, it'll display "UHD" "4K".
As proven by our pictures both the Samsung TV and the Vizio P are showing the 4K badge when playing YouTube 4K content cast to the Chromecast Ultra.

Quote:
Second, the stats for nerds will show that the videos are not playing in 2160p.
It's not possible to bring up the Stats for Nerds screen when casting to the Chromecast.

That question has actually been asked and answered on this thread as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
A quick question on streaming YouTube to the Chromecast Ultra. Is there any way to show the "stats for nerds" (see the screen shot below of what a PC shows when this feature is enabled on it) when streaming to the Chromecast Ultra?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
No, Since there is no control over the video once it hits the chromecast. And since it is no longer playing on anything but the ultra then no app or pc will be able to monitor it.
Likewise when casting from my iPad.

Quote:
Third, your tv Menu will show the actual resolution. For example, my Vizio displays the actual RECEIVED resolution not the assumed or labeled resolution in the Menu under System Information - then scroll down to resolution - mine shows 1080p when playing YouTube 4K UHD videos via Chromecast Ultra.
This should not the case because the Chromecast Ultra upscale's everything to 3840 x 2160 @ 60 which is confirmed via Google's forums where their product expert states that the "Chromecast Ultra automatically optimizes your content for the best picture quality your TV can deliver so you always get your TV’s maximum resolution". This was also proven by the pictures posted by @shoman94 and myself.

If you believe you are using it correctly, I really have to question that based on your second and third points.

And just to add to that the only time you wouldn't see the 4K badge is when your internet connection is not robust enough to handle the increased bandwidth. I have even seen fluctuations depending on what device I am using.

In closing, for those looking for a "how to guide", here is one published by Google:

Cast video from Chromecast-enabled apps to your TV

I am really not sure what more we can offer because nobody is having your problem on this thread.
galonzo, shortyg83 and PJL99 like this.

Last edited by Musician; 03-06-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #440 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Btw....I made a typo I can't fix. The HDMI port is 2.2 60Hz. Not 1.2
1. Which HDMI port do you have the Ultra Plugged into?
2. Which firmware is your ultra on?
3. Have you done a factory reset on the chromecast ultra?
post #441 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. HDMI 4K 60Hz (HDCP 2.2)
2. 78017 / 1.22.78017
3. Yes. 2x.

Thank you for responding in an opposite manner to Musician.
I was asking which hdmi port on the tv. They are numbered 1-5
post #442 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@TopDownRide it appears you're looking at the internal YT app (if you can bring up Stats for Nerds)
Musician likes this.

post #443 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. HDMI 4K 60Hz (HDCP 2.2)
2. 78017 / 1.22.78017
3. Yes. 2x.

Thank you for responding in an opposite manner to Musician.
Considering the fact that I was the first to respond to your multiple requests for help and the amount of time I have spent on YOUR PROBLEM, you'd think you would have a little more respect for my posts where I have had to put on my analyst hat to decipher them. Why get so emotional over this? Oh yeah, you already told us that you are "furious and frustrated" so I guess that means it's OK to take it out on us when the questions or comments aren't to your liking. I have been very respectful and let's remember, I don't work for Google, or Vizio, or YouTube or the repair guy or whoever else has been involved.

With that being said, as much as I don't feel like spending anymore of my time on this, for the sake of the other guys on this thread I am going to point something out to them.

Those pictures you posted while displaying the Stats for Nerds overlay provide a very telling story. Whatever device you were using when you took those pictures (since it couldn't have been the Chromecast Ultra because it is impossible to bring up the Stats for Nerds while casting), it does NOT contain the VP9 chipset otherwise instead of seeing the Mime Type appearing as codec=AVC1 like your attached thumbnail on the left, it would have shown codec=VP9 like my attached thumbnail on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVC1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2011209   Click image for larger version

Name:	VP9.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	2011217  

post #444 of 1212 Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, Google Chromecast always displays a default resolution of "2160p" in that screen, even you're watching 240p. It never changes.

You have to use other methods of identifying the actual resolution being displayed.

Now, this might be wrong, but according to Google/YouTube, the Resolution Icon ("HD" here) will display the actual playback resolution of that video on that device at that time.

If it was in 2160p, then it should show "4K" not "HD".

An example here: the Video icon/description says "HD" not "4K".
The info bar on my TV says 1080p
The System Information Menu on my TV says 1080p
Stats for Nerds shows 1080p.

Here are two pics of Timescapes: The Movie where you can see all of this information/each example I gave:

And here are pics of a 240p and 1080p Test video that shows 2160p if you're looking at the Chromecast Ultra info which is clearly incorrect as the video is nowhere near that resolution.
My point of the photos was to show that the Ultra is always outputting 2160p. It upscales everything. The photo you posted is a video done in 1080p that just shows the difference in the different video quality. It doesn't actually change the resolution of the video itself.

So yes the video is 1080p..... and it is correct. Coming from the CCU it will show 2160p because the CCU upconverts it to 2160p. The video that is showing 240p is still 1080p, its just showing you what 240P looks like.
galonzo and shortyg83 like this.

post #445 of 1212 Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I left off a section of text and the first two pics I meant to post. I was trying to fix it when you read it & replied.

Repeating my full post:

Unfortunately, Google Chromecast always displays a default resolution of "2160p" in that screen, even you're watching 240p. It never changes.

You have to use other methods of identifying the actual resolution being displayed.

Now, this might be wrong, but according to Google/YouTube, the Resolution Icon ("HD" here) will display the actual playback resolution of that video on that device at that time.

If it was in 2160p, then it should show "4K" not "HD".

And here are pics of a 240p and 1080p Test video that shows 2160p if you're looking at the Chromecast Ultra info which is clearly incorrect as the video is nowhere near that resolution.

The pics from the Vizio VIA App were to show the stats available from YouTube about each video. I can use the Chromecast Mirror function to see the same or I can go into "quality" on YouTube while streaming from the Chromecast Ultra and see that's it's not 2160p.

I can also see the quality other ways and I can test the negative like I did with the 240p and 1080p Test Video - a video that is indisputably Not 2160p and Chromecast Ultra "tricks" your tv into displaying 2160p when it is clearly 240p and 1080p.

Play ANY video using Chromecast Ultra and you'll see "2160p" resolution info in your tv. It's wrong.
Quote:
Considering the fact that I was the first to respond to your multiple requests for help and the amount of time I have spent on YOUR PROBLEM, you'd think you would have a little more respect for my posts where I have had to put on my analyst hat to decipher them. Why get so emotional over this? Oh yeah, you already told us that you are "furious and frustrated" so I guess that means it's OK to take it out on us when the questions or comments aren't to your liking. I have been very respectful and let's remember, I don't work for Google, or Vizio, or YouTube or the repair guy or whoever else has been involved.

With that being said, as much as I don't feel like spending anymore of my time on this, for the sake of the other guys on this thread I am going to point something out to them.

Those pictures you posted while displaying the Stats for Nerds overlay provide a very telling story. Whatever device you were using when you took those pictures (since it couldn't have been the Chromecast Ultra because it is impossible to bring up the Stats for Nerds while casting), it does NOT contain the VP9 chipset otherwise instead of seeing the Mime Type appearing as codec=AVC1 like your attached thumbnail on the left, it would have shown codec=VP9 like my attached thumbnail on the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
My point of the photos was to show that the Ultra is always outputting 2160p. It upscales everything. The photo you posted is a video done in 1080p that just shows the difference in the different video quality. It doesn't actually change the resolution of the video itself.

So yes the video is 1080p..... and it is correct. Coming from the CCU it will show 2160p because the CCU upconverts it to 2160p. The video that is showing 240p is still 1080p, its just showing you what 240P looks like.

I think I may have figured out part of the issue. I am not positive but it is something I am noticing on my set as well. It seems that the tag youtube is showing isn't actually stating what resolution is playing but instead it is showing whatever the system sets for your resolution based on your internet bandwidth. For example, my internet is soso at 15Mb. So when I stream 4k videos it normally takes about 30 seconds for it to ramp up. So I will initially get 1080p until it ramps up to 4k. But I noticed youtubes banner does not acknowledge this. If my video starts at 1080p the banner states HD, but after 15-30 seconds when the video gets to 4k that banner does not change. It stays at HD even though I am now getting 4k. I was able to test this without using the chromecast so I know I am not getting misled by its upscaling.

So while some people may have better internet speed they would likely get the 4k tag when starting the video, but if you are a little bit laggy it may start with the HD tag in the banner.
post #446 of 1212 Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I may have figured out part of the issue. I am not positive but it is something I am noticing on my set as well. It seems that the tag youtube is showing isn't actually stating what resolution is playing but instead it is showing whatever the system sets for your resolution based on your internet bandwidth. For example, my internet is soso at 15Mb. So when I stream 4k videos it normally takes about 30 seconds for it to ramp up. So I will initially get 1080p until it ramps up to 4k. But I noticed youtubes banner does not acknowledge this. If my video starts at 1080p the banner states HD, but after 15-30 seconds when the video gets to 4k that banner does not change. It stays at HD even though I am now getting 4k. I was able to test this without using the chromecast so I know I am not getting misled by its upscaling.

So while some people may have better internet speed they would likely get the 4k tag when starting the video, but if you are a little bit laggy it may start with the HD tag in the banner.
Yeah, funny you mention that... I think I have at least twice now.

Even with a connection like mine (100 Mbps that always passes speed test at 95+ or better) it can take a few seconds to spool up sometimes but most times right away. For that I am happy!

What he has been trying to do is compare apples and oranges. Here's the deal, on his first post he said "I have a fairly new Chromecast Ultra and a Vizio 4K TV with the HDMI 1.2 60Hz input that's on the Chromecast Ultra 4K TV compatibly list"... which he later corrected to HDMI 2.2 which I pointed out that there is no such thing.

So since the Chromecast Ultra just hit the market recently, I guess he means his TV is "fairly new". In the tech world a model 1 or 2 years old can be out of date when it comes to some features. For example, with respect to the Vizio's it appears that the VP9 chipset wasn't included in the 2014 or 2015 models based on a quick glance at some old posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That would be because there is no 4K YouTube on your set. YouTube uses VP9 for 4K and Vizio televisions cannot decode it. I can view 4K YouTube on my TiVo Bolt.

Source: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39561898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It's because those files if downloaded from YouTube are in the VP9 codec format. The MP4 is just a wrapper. Vizio doesn't support VP9 (on these models). You'd need to convert them to HEVC and then they should play fine.

Source: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post43811706
Biggest misconception back in the dark ages of TV (era 2014-2015) was that guys who were watching the same real 4K videos we are watching today were getting into big fights because they believed they were seeing 3840 x 2160 until the Stats for Nerds overlay screen came out which shot their theories down. A lot of delicious crow served on AVS Forum during those times!

First and foremast to receive 4K from the Chromecast Ultra, it needs to be hooked up to an HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.0a port for HDR. Four times now he has tried to provide that information but we still don't know. All we know at this point is it is hooked up to port 5 on a fairly new Vizio that provides 4K 60hz HDCP 2.2. Although one would think that would be HDMI 2.0 it sure would go a long way if guys just provided us with the Make, Model and Year of their TV so we can independently verify the specs.

Anyways, if the port is compatible and his internet speed is fast enough he should be able to stream YouTube and see the 4K badge or perhaps it is something else but that's what Google (manufacturer of the Chromecast Ultra and parent company of YouTube) gets paid the big bucks for!

Don't forget we all pay for YouTube with those commercials that interrupt our viewing of YouTube content!

STOP THE PRESS

Although he has been having us chase this issue on his Vizio regarding playing YouTube videos while displaying the Status for Nerds screen that is nothing but a red herring and has nothing to do with the Chromecast Ultra because, as I posted last night, and again above, his TV does not appear to support the VP9 codecs.

However, separating the oranges from the apples, here is a guy with a "fairly new" 2015 Vizio who is experiencing the same issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Anyone pick up the Chromecast Ultra and try it on the 2015 M Series? I have an M55, and ever since the first firmware update from Google for the Chromecast Ultra, the unit will not switch to 2160p. I took the Ultra to work today to try on a Samsung KU7500 and it worked at 4k, so it seems to be some sort of firmware incompatibility with the Vizio. I've been dealing with Google support, but they haven't been a great deal of use so far.

Likely going to return and get a refund on the Ultra since all my other 4k devices work just fine on this TV (Xbox One S, PS4 Pro and Roku 4), but just wanted to see if anyone has gotten their Ultra to work on the 2015 Vizio M.
My advise would be to take it back... but when has he ever listened to me.

Final Thoughts

Hey @shortyg83 , I know you, myself and a few others have gotten into a few words over the Chromecast Ultra but I think we have to accept the fact that the Chromecast Ultra has a few growing pains shall we say.

We are never going to figure out "the fixes". Google can't even figure them out so all of us in this thread need to sit back and let them do their job with all that ad revenue that pours into their multi-billion dollar empire.

If these are known issues, then those are Googles problem, not ours. Oh sure, I know you, me, @PJL99 , @galonzo , and @shoman94 to name a few are keeners and most certainly available to provide a guiding hand but when a problem has already been acknowledged on Google's forums or on this thread we can only point that out and move on. Life's too short and summers coming!!!

It sure would go a long way if Google published a FAQ of known issues so we didn't have to do their job of in some cases have to take flack from purchasers of their equipment!!!

Have a good one!

Last edited by Musician; 03-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #447 of 1212 Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, funny you mention that... I think I have at least twice now.

Even with a connection like mine (100 Mbps that always passes speed test at 95+ or better) it can take a few seconds to spool up sometimes but most times right away. For that I am happy!

What he has been trying to do is compare apples and oranges. Here's the deal, on his first post he said "I have a fairly new Chromecast Ultra and a Vizio 4K TV with the HDMI 1.2 60Hz input that's on the Chromecast Ultra 4K TV compatibly list".

So since the Chromecast Ultra just hit the market recently, I guess he means his TV is "fairly new". In the tech world a model 1 or 2 years old can be out of date when it comes to some features. For example, with respect to the Vizio's it appears that the VP9 chipset wasn't included in the 2014 or 2015 models based on a quick glance at some old posts...

Biggest misconception back in the dark ages of TV (era 2014-2015) was that guys who were watching the same real 4K videos we are watching today were getting into big fights because they believed they were seeing 3840 x 2160 until the Stats for Nerds overlay screen came out which shot their theories down. A lot of delicious crow served on AVS Forum during those times!

First and foremast to receive 4K from the Chromecast Ultra, it needs to be hooked up to an HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.0a port for HDR. Four times now he has tried to provide that information but we still don't know. All we know at this point is it is hooked up to port 5 on a fairly new Vizio that provides 4K 60hz HDCP 2.2. Although one would think that would be HDMI 2.0 it sure would go a long way if guys just provided us with the Make, Model and Year of their TV so we can independently verify the specs.

Anyways, if the port is compatible and his internet speed is fast enough he should be able to stream YouTube and see the 4K badge or perhaps it is something else but that's what Google (manufacturer of the Chromecast Ultra and parent company of YouTube) gets paid the big bucks for!

Don't forget we all pay for YouTube with those commercials that interrupt our viewing of YouTube content!

STOP THE PRESS

Although he has been having us chase this issue on his Vizio regarding playing YouTube videos while displaying the Status for Nerds screen that is nothing but a red herring and has nothing to do with the Chromecast Ultra because, as I posted last night, and again above, his TV does not appear to support the VP9 codecs.

However, separating the oranges from the apples, here is a guy with a "fairly new" 2015 Vizio who is experiencing the same issue...

My advise would be to take it back... but when has he ever listened to me.

Final Thoughts

Hey @shortyg83 , I know you, myself and a few others have gotten into a few words over the Chromecast Ultra but I think we have to accept the fact that the Chromecast Ultra has a few growing pains shall we say.

We are never going to figure out "the fixes". Google can't even figure them out so all of us in this thread need to sit back and let them do their job with all that ad revenue that pours into their multi-billion dollar empire.

If these are known issues, then those are Googles problem, not ours. Oh sure, I know you, me, @PJL99 , @galonzo , and @shoman94 to name a few are keeners and most certainly available to provide a guiding hand but when a problem has already been acknowledged on Google's forums or this thread we can only point that out and move on. Life's too short and summers coming!!!

It sure would go a long way if Google published a FAQ of known issues so we didn't have to do their job of in some cases have to take flack from purchasers of their equipment!!!

Have a good one!

Yea Chromecast definitely has its flaws. And they seem quite slow at fixing them.

I do hope one day it gets updated so it is working how we all want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoman94 and Musician like this.
post #448 of 1212 Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea Chromecast definitely has its flaws. And they seem quite slow at fixing them.

I do hope one day it gets updated so it is working how we all want.
Amen!
shoman94 likes this.

post #449 of 1212 Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Has anyone else noticed that you can play Google Play 4k movies on devices other than the Chromecast Ultra and they still play fine even though there's a message when purchasing 4k movies that says something like "...4k can only be played on the Chromecast Ultra..."? I've played a couple of 4k Google Play movies on my Nvidia Shield and my Vizio display (casting from tablet) and they play fine in 4k.
thomasfxlt likes this.

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #450 of 1212 Old 03-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So much confusion.
Sponsored Links