***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 562Likes

post #781 of 1200 Old 11-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
i got to thank you for bringing this to our attention. i ordered this on Saturday, got here yesterday. set it up today and works just like you said. now i can use the CC ultra with the google voice. surround sound works with netflix and passes DV on netflix and vudu with my 2016 oled.

now with my luck an update will come that will enable the oled to pass but i am a happy camper being able to use voice commands with the majority of the apps and the DD+.
Glad that someone else is finding this useful (and that my guinea pig experience wasn?t horrible like I was expecting)
I wonder will this work? http://www.delock.de/produkte/S_1868...setLanguage=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1200 Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
No information about what EDIDs will be used (what it tells to the source equipment and what it tells to the destinations). That's the special sauce in the box I bought and posted about
sutton8 likes this.

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #783 of 1200 Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No information about what EDIDs will be used (what it tells to the source equipment and what it tells to the destinations). That's the special sauce in the box I bought and posted about
Anyone apart from Amazon selling this in the US? I'm based in Ireland

Last edited by micks_address; 11-20-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1200 Old 11-20-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Anyone apart from Amazon selling this in the US? I'm based in Ireland

Actually what power supply does the amazon version use? It is possible to power from a usb port?

Thanks,
Mick
post #785 of 1200 Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually what power supply does the amazon version use? It is possible to power from a usb port?

Thanks,
Mick
Not possible to power from USB as it is a proprietary plug. However, the wall wart is a universal 100-240V, so you should just need a plug adapter
galonzo likes this.

LG B6 65" OLED, Phillips UHD BluRay, Denon AVR-X4000, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, eD speakers and sub
post #786 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
Hello, I'm not sure where I should post this type of question. If this is not the right place, please redirect me.

I'm in the chrome cast section because when you're not casting anything you get these cool pictures that rotate on your TV. I want to replicate this but I'm looking for high quality photos, bright, maybe 4k HDR pictures or something. There are a few apps I saw like Uscene (only on Roku TV) that want to charge $9 a month or it was like $9 for 75 credits that you have to restock... That's expensive. Is there something out there that I can do this with? Maybe some amazon apps or something? My idea would be to put a super flat screen 4k TV in the living room wall and then have a streaming Device/Phone cast to the TV with great high quality photos of space/scenery etc... in loop.

Thanks,
I use my OLED B6 as a photo slideshow to show off my drone pics when guests visit us. I have uploaded my 4K pictures to Google Photos and use the the Google Photos App (Roku) to create a slideshow. However there are a few other 4K capable Apps (500pix?) that allow you to show 4K pictures. The problem is (my major gripe) most of the professional photographers prefer to frame their shots in the 4:3 format. Displaying them on a 16:9 TV results in black side bars. Which is why I prefer to display my own photos (which I have 1:1 pixel mapped with my OLED TV). Very happy.
galonzo likes this.
post #787 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifanpoe View Post
It works with Dolby Vision. I think Netflix currently only supports Xbox One S/X and 2017 LG OLED TVs with Atmos. Hopefully they update for Atmos sound as VUDUs stuff with Atmos works very well on the CCU.
I just ordered the CCU (its on its way). I already have an ATV4K but Apple dropped the ball with regard to Atmos support. I used to own a Roku Premiere Plus (does Atmos) but gave it to my niece because it did not support Dolby Vision. But now, I have Dolby Vision but no Atmos. Being frustrated -- with A or DV but not A&DV ... I have decided to try out the CCU. But what I am concerned with is the quality of the sound. Does it have enough oompf compared to bigger streaming boxes like Roku / Fire TV? By the way I will be plugging it in directly to my new Denon receiver thats Atmos and 4K DV ready.

Last edited by umenon; 11-22-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #788 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 06:33 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I just ordered the CCU (its on its way). I already have an ATV4K but Apple dropped the ball with regard to Atmos support. I used to own a Roku Premiere Plus (does Atmos) but gave it to my niece because it did not support Dolby Vision. But now, I have Dolby Vision but no Atmos. Being frustrated -- with A or DV but not A&DV ... I have decided to try out the CCU. But what I am concerned with is the quality of the sound. Does it have enough oompf compared to bigger streaming boxes like Roku / Fire TV? By the way I will be plugging it in directly to my new Denon receiver thats Atmos and 4K DV ready.
I just finished up both Stranger Things Season 2 and The Punisher Season 1 through the CCU. It was connected to my Denon and 7.3.4 setup listening to it with the Dolby D+ Neural X option and both were great sounding. While not true Atmos or DTS X no issues were found. VUDU streaming stuff with "ATMOS" does sound slightly better uttalizing the top speakers better.
galonzo likes this.
post #789 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
My Denon AVR-X6300H updated last night to pass DoVi and HLG. No HDCP authorization/format switching issues so far with casting VUDU and Netflix DoVi content. LG 2016 OLED display. VUDU Dolby Atmos also flagging correctly. CCU direct-to-AVR.
Which 2016 OLED do you have? What firmware? I heard that the most recent firmware elevates the black level.
post #790 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chifanpoe View Post
I just finished up both Stranger Things Season 2 and The Punisher Season 1 through the CCU. It was connected to my Denon and 7.3.4 setup listening to it with the Dolby D+ Neural X option and both were great sounding. While not true Atmos or DTS X no issues were found. VUDU streaming stuff with "ATMOS" does sound slightly better uttalizing the top speakers better.
Great to hear (no pun intended). Thanks!
post #791 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Which 2016 OLED do you have?
OLED55B6P

Quote:
What firmware?
Just recently updated to 05.30.03. Still in shakedown; no definite conclusions.

Quote:
I heard that the most recent firmware elevates the black level.
I have noticed elevated black level under certain circumstances that was not present in the previous build. There also appears to be vertical resolution loss in 4K SDR picture modes that varies depending on system configuration (source direct-to-TV, source via AVR passthrough, internal apps) and refresh rate (24 Hz, 60 Hz).

The banding/posterization issue with 4:2:2 HDR-10 in combination with Denon AVRs appears to have been resolved.
galonzo likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #792 of 1200 Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Did anyone notice Netflix using HDR instead of Dolby Vision? I’m using the Netflix app from my iPhone. Prior to today it would send DV. Vudu is still sending DV.

I did recently update the app on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs
post #793 of 1200 Old 11-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Does the Ultra still have the picture issues when casting HDR from Vudu?

I know there were some issues with DV casting from Vudu, but I don't have a DV tv. I assumed when they launched HDR10, that wouldn't be an issue. But the HDR cast from Vudu looks way oversaturated.

Is this just something with no chance to be fixed at this point?
post #794 of 1200 Old 11-24-2017, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Does the Ultra still have the picture issues when casting HDR from Vudu?

I know there were some issues with DV casting from Vudu, but I don't have a DV tv. I assumed when they launched HDR10, that wouldn't be an issue. But the HDR cast from Vudu looks way oversaturated.

Is this just something with no chance to be fixed at this point?
Yes, there are still issues with HDR10.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #795 of 1200 Old 11-25-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Yeah I still have issues too. It's really frustrating. It looks all washed out I have tried to watch it but it's not really possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #796 of 1200 Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, thanks. Very disappointing. I guess this is going back. Been looking forward to Vudu HDR10 for a while, and picking up a CC Ultra, but I'm not going to wait and hope this out.
post #797 of 1200 Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks. Very disappointing. I guess this is going back. Been looking forward to Vudu HDR10 for a while, and picking up a CC Ultra, but I'm not going to wait and hope this out.
I pretty much don't use mine. Play movies are under saturated, Vudu is unwatchable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #798 of 1200 Old 11-25-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I pretty much don't use mine. Play movies are under saturated, Vudu is unwatchable.
Thanks. I picked up an Apple TV a couple weeks ago, but still wanted to have the Vudu and Youtube HDR. But with the hefty expense of the ATV, it's not worth another $50+ just to watch Youtube demos.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #799 of 1200 Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Why is Vudu on CCU unwatchable? We watched Lucy with 4KDV plus Atmos (CCU->Denon->OLED B6) ... ? Amazing experience!
post #800 of 1200 Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why is Vudu on CCU unwatchable? We watched Lucy with 4KDV plus Atmos (CCU->Denon->OLED B6) ... ? experience!
My TV doesn't only HDR10 and the CCU does not produce colors correctly on Vudu.

post #801 of 1200 Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Why is Vudu on CCU unwatchable? We watched Lucy with 4KDV plus Atmos (CCU->Denon->OLED B6) ... ? Amazing experience!
It works correctly on TVs that have Dolby Vision but not on those with only HDR-10. This has been going on for months so I don't know why Vudu/Google haven't fixed this by now?
CCsoftball7 and galonzo like this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #802 of 1200 Old 11-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ultra locks up cable box

I have a Chromecast ultra, and when I watch anything the unit works and looks great, but when I switch back over to the cable box, the box is locked up, then sluggish to respond. When I called the cable company, they suggested making sure the unit was plugged into the ARC HDMI input, which it was. After doing some research on ARC, it seems that this might be a wrong move. Can any of you confirm or deny this?

I have an LGB6 Oled TV .
post #803 of 1200 Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recently have the ultra and PQ wise I'm happy, but I'm getting one annoying issue, which probably discussed here already. While watching some other programs through apple TV or OPPO, suddenly i got redirected to chrome-cast automatically. Not sure what triggers this, but i have to manually change the HDMI port again? Anyone know how to stop this? This happens when i connect the ultra to either receiver or TV directly.

Sony A1E - Since 11/30/2017

Apple TV 4k - Amazon Fire TV 4k - Chromcast Ultra - Nvidia Shield - Oppo 203 - Dune HD

Onkyo HT-S7800
post #804 of 1200 Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post
I recently have the ultra and PQ wise I'm happy, but I'm getting one annoying issue, which probably discussed here already. While watching some other programs through apple TV or OPPO, suddenly i got redirected to chrome-cast automatically. Not sure what triggers this, but i have to manually change the HDMI port again? Anyone know how to stop this? This happens when i connect the ultra to either receiver or TV directly.
Sounds like you have HDMI-CEC enabled somewhere (or everywhere). You should probably turn that off
shoman94 and galonzo like this.

post #805 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Not possible to power from USB as it is a proprietary plug. However, the wall wart is a universal 100-240V, so you should just need a plug adapter
Hi Jason,

I received the viewhd and connected today. I'm using chromecast ultra into hdmi in then hdmi out to the tv for video and hdmi to receiver for audio.

I am having some issues though. The TV will only display 4k content from Netflix app on my phone. Its odd, it wont display 1080p material at all. There's also an issue with the 4k video - it looks like its playing in fast motion - the same sort of effect you would get with some smoothing technologies on tv... I have switched off those on my e55 lg..

The other issue is that im still only getting stereo audio to my receiver even though the source should be 5.1 dolby digital plus.

The manual is pretty parse with the view hd. Any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks,
Mick
post #806 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Hi Jason,

I received the viewhd and connected today. I'm using chromecast ultra into hdmi in then hdmi out to the tv for video and hdmi to receiver for audio.

I am having some issues though. The TV will only display 4k content from Netflix app on my phone. Its odd, it wont display 1080p material at all. There's also an issue with the 4k video - it looks like its playing in fast motion - the same sort of effect you would get with some smoothing technologies on tv... I have switched off those on my e55 lg..

The other issue is that im still only getting stereo audio to my receiver even though the source should be 5.1 dolby digital plus.

The manual is pretty parse with the view hd. Any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks,
Mick

ok so after playing with the eid button I can get dolby digital plus to the avr... still only picture I can get is 4k from Netflix.. can't get 1080 or anything at all from youtube. I do get audio from youtube. The weird frame rate issue is still there.. totally unwatchable like a 'soap opera' effect..

Any help appreciated

Thanks,
Mick
post #807 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
ok so after playing with the eid button I can get dolby digital plus to the avr... still only picture I can get is 4k from Netflix.. can't get 1080 or anything at all from youtube. I do get audio from youtube. The weird frame rate issue is still there.. totally unwatchable like a 'soap opera' effect..

Any help appreciated

Thanks,
Mick

ok so the plot thickens... its actually only 4k dolby vision I am getting picture from on Netflix. If I watch something like the crown season 1 I get dolby digital plus to receiver but no picture on tv. Star trek discovery also works (1080p dolby vision) same frame rate issue though..
post #808 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 AM

Actually just realized I've been a complete idiot. I've had a solution to my issue all along in the form of my Oppo BD 203 uhd player. Plugged in the chromecast ultra to its hdmi input and the dual hdmi config of the Oppo to my avr and tv takes care of everything. Two superfluous HDMI cables bought and a ViewHD to return to amazon... but hey... im happy to have a solution that requires less wires etc

Dolby vision from Netflix with dolby digital plus and HDR10 from youtube
Musician likes this.
post #809 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Actually just realized I've been a complete idiot. I've had a solution to my issue all along in the form of my Oppo BD 203 uhd player. Plugged in the chromecast ultra to its hdmi input and the dual hdmi config of the Oppo to my avr and tv takes care of everything. Two superfluous HDMI cables bought and a ViewHD to return to amazon... but hey... im happy to have a solution that requires less wires etc

Dolby vision from Netflix with dolby digital plus and HDR10 from youtube
That's how I fixed my issues with the Roku Ultra. Since connecting to the HDMI input of the Oppo 203 I've had no issues. It's a good solution.
galonzo and Musician like this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #810 of 1200 Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
That's how I fixed my issues with the Roku Ultra. Since connecting to the HDMI input of the Oppo 203 I've had no issues. It's a good solution.
are saying the CCU is now passing a DV signal through the Oppo 203 input and also passing a DD 5.1 plus through the hdmi audio out? or am i misreading?

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page