***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 567Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
so you watching netflix and vudu DV content then?
yep, the only thing I don't like is the chromecast sends 4k/60 no matter what even when content is 4k/24
shortyg83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Also maybe I should inform everyone. AVRS are not currently allowing Dolby Vision to pass through them. They are only triggering HDR10 so you would have to connect direct to tv.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #153 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Also maybe I should inform everyone. AVRS are not currently allowing Dolby Vision to pass through them. They are only triggering HDR10 so you would have to connect direct to tv.
what kinda AVR? you have all the processing turned off? passthrough only. . .
jimim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
what kinda AVR? you have all the processing turned off? passthrough only. . .
Yamaha RX-A3050. All processing turned off, and verified via Yamaha it will not work.
The problem isn't the inability to pass the signal, it seems to be the inability to even request a Dolby Vision signal be sent trough the AVR.
I had to connect directly to tv.

Also BTW the Firmware that enabled DV is 78017
CCsoftball7 and bdraw like this.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #155 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Yamaha RX-A3050. All processing turned off, and verified via Yamaha it will not work.
The problem isn't the inability to pass the signal, it seems to be the inability to even request a Dolby Vision signal be sent trough the AVR.
I had to connect directly to tv.

Also BTW the Firmware that enabled DV is 78017
What TV do you have? If a 2016 OLED, with your CU w/ 78017 connected directly to the TV, does the TV display 'Dolby Vision'?
fafrd is offline  
post #156 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
What TV do you have? If a 2016 OLED, with your CU w/ 78017 connected directly to the TV, does the TV display 'Dolby Vision'?


I have a vizio p series. Works with vudu and Netflix Dolby vision


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shortyg83 is offline  
post #157 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Yamaha RX-A3050. All processing turned off, and verified via Yamaha it will not work.
The problem isn't the inability to pass the signal, it seems to be the inability to even request a Dolby Vision signal be sent trough the AVR.
I had to connect directly to tv.

Also BTW the Firmware that enabled DV is 78017
How do you know you're recieving Dolby Vision?

I also have FW 78017 and upon your advice, bypassed AVR and connected directly to 65C6P.

Netflix Marco Polo season II does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.

Lucy UHD does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.

Would appreciate to understand why you believe CU w/ 78017 is giving you Dolby Vision and some screen shots of the balloons and Picture Modes would be appreciated.

If you have a Vizio Dolby Vision TV, the issue may only be with LG Dolby Vision TVs, but from what I am seeing, the CU w/ 78017 does not pass-through proper Dolby Vision to a 65C6P (possibly because the 65C6P is unable to recognize Dolby Vision through HDMI).
fafrd is offline  
post #158 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
How do you know you're recieving Dolby Vision?



I also have FW 78017 and upon your advice, bypassed AVR and connected directly to 65C6P.



Netflix Marco Polo season II does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.



Lucy UHD does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.



Would appreciate to understand why you believe CU w/ 78017 is giving you Dolby Vision and some screen shots of the balloons and Picture Modes would be appreciated.



If you have a Vizio Dolby Vision TV, the issue may only be with LG Dolby Vision TVs, but from what I am seeing, the CU w/ 78017 does not pass-through proper Dolby Vision to a 65C6P (possibly because the 65C6P is unable to recognize Dolby Vision through HDMI).


Vudu uhd only has Dolby vision for hdr. And on Netflix shows it pops up the Dolby vision icon when casting is loading.

It's very possible the LG doesn't accept hdr through hdmi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shortyg83 is offline  
post #159 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Vudu uhd only has Dolby vision for hdr. And on Netflix shows it pops up the Dolby vision icon when casting is loading.

It's very possible the LG doesn't accept hdr through hdmi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What TV do you own?

What Dolby Vision streaming on Netflix? Marco Polo?

Can you attach a photo of the Dolby Vision pop-up when casting is loading when you play it on Netflix?
fafrd is offline  
post #160 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I have a vizio p series. Works with vudu and Netflix Dolby vision


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got it. So the problem is with LG, not with Google...
fafrd is offline  
post #161 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Vudu uhd only has Dolby vision for hdr. And on Netflix shows it pops up the Dolby vision icon when casting is loading.

It's very possible the LG doesn't accept hdr through hdmi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


LG accepts hdr via hdmi just fine. I'm using an Nvidia shield and it sends hdr direct connect to the LG and via my denon X3300w

When I had the Chromecast ultra I got HDR from it as well.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203

Last edited by archer75; 12-24-2016 at 07:26 PM.
archer75 is online now  
post #162 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
DV HDR streaming a a completely different beast than UHD DV HDR as far as hardware requirements. Is the Chromecast even 2.0a? Technically, you should be able to stream DV HDR via HDMI 1.4.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #163 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
DV HDR streaming a a completely different beast than UHD DV HDR as far as hardware requirements. Is the Chromecast even 2.0a? Technically, you should be able to stream DV HDR via HDMI 1.4.


First I've ever heard of this. Please explain. DV requires a chip no matter how it's delivered.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is online now  
post #164 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
First I've ever heard of this. Please explain. DV requires a chip no matter how it's delivered.
Correct, it does require a chip, but it does not require HDMI 2.0a, it can be sent via HDMI 1.4. UHD blu ray with HDR10 requires 2.0a. Since DV HDR via UHD blu ray will be layered on HDR10, it will also require 2.0a if connecting a UHD player to tv.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 12-24-2016 at 08:24 PM.
wxman is offline  
post #165 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
First I've ever heard of this. Please explain. DV requires a chip no matter how it's delivered.
HDR10 and DV are completely different sources. And work differently.
So having HDR work really means nothing compared to having dolby vision work. Some tvs at launch only had Dolby Vision enabled via built in streaming and didn't have the HDMI ports set to use the dolby chip until a later firmware if ever.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #166 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'm going to grab One of these this week. I have an lg e series. I would assume the lg can accept dv through its hdmi since it was one of their biggest sellers no points on being DV ready. I personally still believe this chromcast is a half baked piece of hardware but that's just me.

Jim
jimim is offline  
post #167 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I'm going to grab One of these this week. I have an lg e series. I would assume the lg can accept dv through its hdmi since it was one of their biggest sellers no points on being DV ready. I personally still believe this chromcast is a half baked piece of hardware but that's just me.

Jim
fafrd over on the OLED thread does not get DV HDR through this device on his C6. We can get DV HDR through the apps on our E6, but we may not be able to via HDMI.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #168 of 1212 Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
HDR10 and DV are completely different sources. And work differently.

So having HDR work really means nothing compared to having dolby vision work. Some tvs at launch only had Dolby Vision enabled via built in streaming and didn't have the HDMI ports set to use the dolby chip until a later firmware if ever.


Yes, I know they are different. What I was getting at is Dolby vision is the same wether it is streamed or played from disc. Any greater requirements from disc playback is really for HDR10.

I'm not aware of any tvs not having Dolby vision functioning via HDMI. However it's been impossible to test with no devices supporting DV and very limited content. I've returned my Chromecast ultra so I can't test any recent firmware updates for it.

I did just receive the first 4k UHD player that will support DV(soon via firmware update) but will also need a disc to test with. Soon.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is online now  
post #169 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Yes, I know they are different. What I was getting at is Dolby vision is the same wether it is streamed or played from disc. Any greater requirements from disc playback is really for HDR10.

I'm not aware of any tvs not having Dolby vision functioning via HDMI. However it's been impossible to test with no devices supporting DV and very limited content. I've returned my Chromecast ultra so I can't test any recent firmware updates for it.

I did just receive the first 4k UHD player that will support DV(soon via firmware update) but will also need a disc to test with. Soon.
That is precisely the point. Until today, there were no confirmed Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI devices to test the functionality.

Now Vizio P owner's have confirmed they successfully stream Dolby Vision into a Chromecast Ultra and into a Vizio P TV over HDMI.

So the fact this same technology does not work with the LG 65C6P OLED suggests there is a problem with the TV, not the Chromecst Ultra.

Hopefully it is just a small handshake issue that LG can easily fix with a quick FW update.

But as of today, Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI on the C6P is broken...
fafrd is offline  
post #170 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That is precisely the point. Until today, there were no confirmed Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI devices to test the functionality.

Now Vizio P owner's have confirmed they successfully stream Dolby Vision into a Chromecast Ultra and into a Vizio P TV over HDMI.

So the fact this same technology does not work with the LG 65C6P OLED suggests there is a problem with the TV, not the Chromecst Ultra.

Hopefully it is just a small handshake issue that LG can easily fix with a quick FW update.

But as of today, Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI on the C6P is broken...
Google/Chromecast is aware of the Dolby Vision issue with LG TVs and is working on a firmware update.

https://productforums.google.com/for...st/oL4yOR01_00

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 12-25-2016 at 01:18 AM.
claw is online now  
post #171 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That is precisely the point. Until today, there were no confirmed Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI devices to test the functionality.



Now Vizio P owner's have confirmed they successfully stream Dolby Vision into a Chromecast Ultra and into a Vizio P TV over HDMI.



So the fact this same technology does not work with the LG 65C6P OLED suggests there is a problem with the TV, not the Chromecst Ultra.



Hopefully it is just a small handshake issue that LG can easily fix with a quick FW update.



But as of today, Dolby-Vision-over-HDMI on the C6P is broken...


I'm always leary when someone says they confirmed something is working as this thread has shown most people don't understand what they are seeing.
Either way, it's still a Chromecast issue and not an LG.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is online now  
post #172 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I'm always leary when someone says they confirmed something is working as this thread has shown most people don't understand what they are seeing.
Either way, it's still a Chromecast issue and not an LG.
Now if you think shortyg86 is not telling the truth, that of course changes everything. But taking him at face value, Dolby Vision handshake over HDMI is now working with the Vizio TVs while it is still not working with the LG OLED TVs.

I've asked shortyg86 to post a picture of his Dolby Vision balloon for proof (though if you think he is being dishonest, he could always post a picture of the Dolby Vision balloon from internal apps ).

Bottom line - once we can confirm the DV handshake is working with Vizio TVs, the LG OLED handshake issue is with LG, not Google...

Last edited by fafrd; 12-25-2016 at 11:38 AM.
fafrd is offline  
post #173 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Now if you think shortyg86 is not telling the truth, that of course changes everything. But taking him at face value, Dolby Vision handshake over HDMI is now working with the Vizio TVs while it is still not working with the LG OLED TVs.



I've asked shortyg86 to post a picture of his Dolby Vision balloon for proof (though if you think he is being dishonest, he could always post a picture of the Dolby Vision balloon from internal apps ).



Bottom line - once we can confirm the DV handshake is working with Vizio TVs, the LG OLED handshake issue is with LG, not Google...


I don't think anyone is being dishonest. Just not necessarily understanding what they are seeing based upon past posts. Several times now someone has said DV and atmos was working when it wasn't and they were simply misinterpreting what their TV and AVR showed. No reason an AVR shouldn't pass DV as DV only requires HDMI 1.4 and a chip at the source and the display.

The issue is with Google and not necessarily with LG. Because Google said it was with them and they are working on a firmware update.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203

Last edited by archer75; 12-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.
archer75 is online now  
post #174 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,797
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Bottom line - once we can confirm the DV handshake is working with Vizio TVs, the LG OLED handshake issue is with LG, not Google...
It would be great if handshaking was that simple, but nothing could be further from the truth. Handshaking is an "end-to-end" event with all devices taking part. Its never as simple as a single device dropping the ball.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #175 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Now if you think shortyg86 is not telling the truth, that of course changes everything. But taking him at face value, Dolby Vision handshake over HDMI is now working with the Vizio TVs while it is still not working with the LG OLED TVs.



I've asked shortyg86 to post a picture of his Dolby Vision balloon for proof (though if you think he is being dishonest, he could always post a picture of the Dolby Vision balloon from internal apps ).



Bottom line - once we can confirm the DV handshake is working with Vizio TVs, the LG OLED handshake issue is with LG, not Google...

Google had already started it works with vizio and they are working on a fix for LG.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shortyg83 is offline  
post #176 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
How do you know you're recieving Dolby Vision?



I also have FW 78017 and upon your advice, bypassed AVR and connected directly to 65C6P.



Netflix Marco Polo season II does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.



Lucy UHD does not bring up Dolby Vision balloon on TV and Picture Mode is not Dolby Vision, so I do not believe that this is being recognized by TV as Dolby Vision.



Would appreciate to understand why you believe CU w/ 78017 is giving you Dolby Vision and some screen shots of the balloons and Picture Modes would be appreciated.



If you have a Vizio Dolby Vision TV, the issue may only be with LG Dolby Vision TVs, but from what I am seeing, the CU w/ 78017 does not pass-through proper Dolby Vision to a 65C6P (possibly because the 65C6P is unable to recognize Dolby Vision through HDMI).


I do have a question for you. When you are trying to send Dolby vision from a Netflix title that has both Dolby vision and hdr10 available, does the Chromecast send the hdr10 video? Or do you get no hdr at all? When i run my ultra through my receiver it is only sending hdr10 i have to go straight through the tv for Dolby vision. Im hoping that can somehow eventually be fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shortyg83 is offline  
post #177 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 395
The Chromecast did send HDR from Netflix.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
archer75 is online now  
post #178 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Antarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Is surround sound broken for google play movies with latest update? Plugged in to see if red shift was fixed, it installed update, picture looks good now, but surround sound is gone. Netflix outputs DD+ just fine.
Antarius is online now  
post #179 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I do have a question for you. When you are trying to send Dolby vision from a Netflix title that has both Dolby vision and hdr10 available, does the Chromecast send the hdr10 video? Or do you get no hdr at all? When i run my ultra through my receiver it is only sending hdr10 i have to go straight through the tv for Dolby vision. Im hoping that can somehow eventually be fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next time I have it fired up, I will confirm, but I believe what I am getting with Marco Polo on Netflix and Lucy on VUDU is:

Chromecast Ultra connected directly to TV: HDR10 (HDR balloon pops up and HDR10 TV settings are active) - Marco Polo and Lucy

Chromecast Ultra connected into Marantz SVR: HDR10 ('HDR' balloon pops up, HDR10 TV settings) Marco Polo - unsure about Lucy

Netflix app directly into 65C6P: Dolby Vision - Marco Polo and Lucy

Again, will confirm when I get a chance.

[EDIT: Confirmed and corrected]

Last edited by fafrd; 12-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.
fafrd is offline  
post #180 of 1212 Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Google had already started it works with vizio and they are working on a fix for LG.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a link to that post / chat?
fafrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off