DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1669Likes

post #2971 of 4767 Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ph8te, that's the thing, the ATV was set properly to native everything, yet everything on the DTVN app was in Dolby Vision.
That's a new one.

Quote:
The other annoying thing is not being able to re-cue live TV if you missed some dialogue you'd like to play again. Maybe this will change with the new service they'll eventually be coming out with.
Well it's a streaming service with no DVR live buffer. There's a reason it's a lot cheaper than satellite. If everything was comparable to DTV satellite at DTVN prices the satellite service would have been history long ago.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4767 Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6264 Post(s)
Liked: 5891
Quote:
Ph8te, that's the thing, the ATV was set properly to native everything, yet everything on the DTVN app was in Dolby Vision. I had to manually change the setting to force 4K SDR. So perhaps the DTVN doesn't have the proper flag to indicate SDR. The native setting on ATV, post-update, works properly with every other app I've used. If the content is in DV, it displays in DV. If it's SDR, it displays in SDR. The DTVN app was the first time I've observed this 'always on' behavior for DV.

I’m kind of confused by your reply, you say Native everything, but there is no setting that does that. I think you may have your ATV4K set to 4K DolbyVision with Match Dynamic Range and Framerate set to ON. DTVN doesn’t flag its content so you’re correct that it won’t switch to SDR when launched. This is why it’s highly recommended to set your ATV4K to 4K SDR with both Match Settings to ON. There are probably more that don’t flag for content, but I don’t know of a list off hand. Once and if DTVN supports 4K HDR streams, I’m guessing the flags will be implemented.
post #2973 of 4767 Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Ph8te, that's the thing, the ATV was set properly to native everything, yet everything on the DTVN app was in Dolby Vision. I had to manually change the setting to force 4K SDR. So perhaps the DTVN doesn't have the proper flag to indicate SDR. The native setting on ATV, post-update, works properly with every other app I've used. If the content is in DV, it displays in DV. If it's SDR, it displays in SDR. The DTVN app was the first time I've observed this 'always on' behavior for DV.

The other annoying thing is not being able to re-cue live TV if you missed some dialogue you'd like to play again. Maybe this will change with the new service they'll eventually be coming out with.

I'll try the suggested settings to see if that fixes the DV issue.
Well, I re-enrolled in DirectTV Now, despite past problems I had with them with streaming, on my Windows 7 PC and on my Roku, with Verizon FIOS as my ISP, in Maryland, near DC.

So far no major problems with streaming! Maybe they ARE getting better. They still insist on bringing up a video when I go to the home page, using the PC/browser, but I can set it to mute the sound. (Though I wonder if the other video counts as one of the two streams.)

But: tried to watch a show at www.TVLand.com, because the latest episode wasn't yet listed on DirecTV Now's website. It told me to log in, and I gave my DirecTV Now info. It wouldn't let me log in.

I asked for help on DirecTV Now's chat page. The person was quite helpful - though the outcome was that they are having trouble with "3rd party networks" like TVLand. The person said they would look into it, and that I should try again after a few hours.

Haven't tried CloudDVR yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 4767 Old 08-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
That's a new one.
I used the suggested settings and that did work. I had originally had it set to 4K DV, but other settings were set to 'match'. That had always worked in the past, but as was mentioned, it doesn't with DTVN. At any rate, all is well on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Well it's a streaming service with no DVR live buffer. There's a reason it's a lot cheaper than satellite. If everything was comparable to DTV satellite at DTVN prices the satellite service would have been history long ago.
Yeah, well one can dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’m kind of confused by your reply, you say Native everything, but there is no setting that does that. I think you may have your ATV4K set to 4K DolbyVision with Match Dynamic Range and Framerate set to ON. DTVN doesn’t flag its content so you’re correct that it won’t switch to SDR when launched. This is why it’s highly recommended to set your ATV4K to 4K SDR with both Match Settings to ON. There are probably more that don’t flag for content, but I don’t know of a list off hand. Once and if DTVN supports 4K HDR streams, I’m guessing the flags will be implemented.
You are 100% correct, that's how I had it originally set. I thought that wouldn't present an issue since those settings never kicked in DV where it wasn't supposed to. However the settings you mentioned do work properly. So thanks to everyone for leading me down the correct path with that.

I still think I'll wait, as the other issues are still a problem for us. If there was a live buffer (perhaps the new service they'll launch later this year or next?) I could live with the inability to direct access by channel #.

However the more A/Bs I conduct, the more I think there's a more consistent PQ edge to DTVN over the conventional D*.
Ph8te likes this.
post #2975 of 4767 Old 08-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 321
@Ken Ross

I mostly agree with your initial review of DTVN compared to DirecTV. PQ is very close; I can't discern a difference with the eye from my viewing position but DirecTV motion is better than I recall it being.

The live DVR buffer isn't going to compare in any current cloud DVR offering. Pause, ffw and rw is only slightly better in PlayStation Vue; it's still limited to just under 5 minutes, not even close to DirecTV 90 buffer.

But DVR is more mature in PS Vue and even has some benefits over DirecTV. Much of the on-demand I was watching allowed commercial skip (ffw with Apple TV) and some had empty commercial breaks or just one ad. And adding a show to DVR would add on-demand and catchup episodes to DVR folder of that series. It's in those folders that it seemed the on-demand and even catchup episodes commercial skip was more skipable. There's a generous record capacity for 30 days per recording, so generous that there's no delete button, but latest and current episodes are queued to front automatically.

30 day life limitation and channel availability of PlayStation Vue and even a non preference or DVR need translates to DTVN preference over PS Vue for many users here. Some have also had regional or ISP issues with streaming PS Vue as well. It could have worked for well...

But it appears I've gone back to DirecTV. I plan to stay the next 12 months if my bill will settle with all offers offered by reconnections dept and since AT&T Office of the President got involved. Been in flux since July 24th. As I understand it, DirecTV billing is under maintenance and updates this week. I'm stuck in legacy plan and billing, despite manual overrides. And DirecTV can't even stick a 12 month commitment on my account.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #2976 of 4767 Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I'm sort of in the same boat as you brotony. I've been a directv satellite customer for MORE than 20 years. I usually call and discuss how high my bill is, about every 6 months. They in turn give me some discounts for the next 6 months. Then I call again and we start the whole process over again. I like directv satellite. Quality is good. Normally weather isn't a big deal. My bill is around $175 (I have the largest package plus some other stuff). I usually pay somewhere between $125-$140 once they start trying to give me more discounts.

But I've been using DirectvNow for the last month and a half. Just the basic plan. (Mainly to get the free apple tv 4K - which being I already have directv satellite, the apple tv isn't really free, it cost me $105). Anyway, the service has been fine for me. I don't do DVR, so that's totally a non-issue. Quality is awesome. Just as good, or possibly better, than the 1080i I am getting from satellite. My only problem is 1) the channel guide sucks. 2) No jumping directly back to "Last channel". 3) No direct channel enter to go straight to a channel; you have to go to the guide. 4) The app is really slow on the Roku. Nice and fast on my Apple tv, but sucks on the Roku.

I will be giving my wife an in-depth course on using DirectvNow this weekend. If she is ok with the limitations, then I'm definitely canceling directv satellite and upping directvNow to the MAX Package. Even with directv satellite's discounts, I would still be saving around $50 a month for tv. $80 a month if you don't include the discounts I keep getting. Streaming tv is the future and the quality is going to get better. I go in on satellite in the beginning. I had my big 10 foot C-Band dish and loved it. KU and eventually the pizza dish directv/dish network evolved; and went with them. I've had satellite tv of one form or another for more than 35 years. But streaming is the next evolution. And with directvNow having the largest channel selection currently, that's what I'm going to switch to. And it's ok to save $50-$80 a month at the same time.

In the future, if Vue, Hulu, or Youtube TV can get the channels I want and can get from directvNow, I'll definitely give them a try. But for now, it looks like I'll be turning off the satellite at the end of August and going max out with directvnow.
lovswr and dan4081 like this.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #2977 of 4767 Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DirecTV Now - Is it possible to record streaming live tv to dvd or device?

Hello, I have a Samsung smart Tv and just signed up for a trial of DirecTV Now. I am wondering if there is anyway to hook up my Magnavox MDR867H DVD Recorder to record shows or sporting events? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
post #2978 of 4767 Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6264 Post(s)
Liked: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt8 View Post
Hello, I have a Samsung smart Tv and just signed up for a trial of DirecTV Now. I am wondering if there is anyway to hook up my Magnavox MDR867H DVD Recorder to record shows or sporting events? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I don’t believe you’ll be able to do that.
post #2979 of 4767 Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Suddenly DTVN is working again for me on Chrome, it hasn't for months. Weird but I'll take it. It also explains an issue I've been having with less than 20 hours available on the DVR, today it said 12 hours left with 5 one hour recordings. On Chrome, but not ATV4K, there were 2 old recordings that had been deleted long ago but still showing up in the library. Always some kind of adventure with DTVN.

Sony 65A1E
post #2980 of 4767 Old 08-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt8 View Post
Get a Roku Express+ from Walmart and connect to your Maggie. Should work fine.
post #2981 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
I have Alarm.com to with 10 devices of course I have the a.com app but this actually gives me more info like battery percentage where the app doesn't and only if you log in the web page. Plus now I can add lights into my activites, I just got it today haven't played to much yet.

What devices are showing battery percentage? I’m not seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2982 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat as you brotony. I've been a directv satellite customer for MORE than 20 years. I usually call and discuss how high my bill is, about every 6 months. They in turn give me some discounts for the next 6 months. Then I call again and we start the whole process over again. I like directv satellite. Quality is good. Normally weather isn't a big deal. My bill is around $175 (I have the largest package plus some other stuff). I usually pay somewhere between $125-$140 once they start trying to give me more discounts.

But I've been using DirectvNow for the last month and a half. Just the basic plan. (Mainly to get the free apple tv 4K - which being I already have directv satellite, the apple tv isn't really free, it cost me $105). Anyway, the service has been fine for me. I don't do DVR, so that's totally a non-issue. Quality is awesome. Just as good, or possibly better, than the 1080i I am getting from satellite. My only problem is 1) the channel guide sucks. 2) No jumping directly back to "Last channel". 3) No direct channel enter to go straight to a channel; you have to go to the guide. 4) The app is really slow on the Roku. Nice and fast on my Apple tv, but sucks on the Roku.

I will be giving my wife an in-depth course on using DirectvNow this weekend. If she is ok with the limitations, then I'm definitely canceling directv satellite and upping directvNow to the MAX Package. Even with directv satellite's discounts, I would still be saving around $50 a month for tv. $80 a month if you don't include the discounts I keep getting. Streaming tv is the future and the quality is going to get better. I go in on satellite in the beginning. I had my big 10 foot C-Band dish and loved it. KU and eventually the pizza dish directv/dish network evolved; and went with them. I've had satellite tv of one form or another for more than 35 years. But streaming is the next evolution. And with directvNow having the largest channel selection currently, that's what I'm going to switch to. And it's ok to save $50-$80 a month at the same time.

In the future, if Vue, Hulu, or Youtube TV can get the channels I want and can get from directvNow, I'll definitely give them a try. But for now, it looks like I'll be turning off the satellite at the end of August and going max out with directvnow.
We were paying $135/month for DirecTV, even with a promotion for HBO/SHO. We decided to do the $105 offer for 3 months of DirecTV Now with the ATV4k. Of course, we should not have expected the experience to be like what we were used to with the satellite for the past 11 years. However, we have found the guide, switching channels, the favorites, and even the DVR to be just too cumbersome. The significant other particularly dislikes the inability to see the image when rewinding or fast-forwarding. Oh, and the inability to restart or backup live. We decided to give the satellite people a call, and told them we were considering cancelling, simply because of cost. They transferred me to a retention, ("loyalty"), person. They immediately offered us a package that lost us only one channel we rarely watch, keeping the HBO/SHO promotion, and lowering our bill by a flat $70/month for the next 12 months. With the change in the package, and the discounts, we are at $49/month, which is even less than the new DirecTV Now rate, including HBO and SHO. We have hardly used the DirecTV Now since. I'll keep it for the three months obligation, and consider the Apple a bonus. We will talk to them again in 12 months. I am never going to pay that much for TV again-I swear! (As a side note, we currently also use Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.)

Last edited by brooks5333; 08-09-2018 at 07:27 AM.
post #2983 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks5333 View Post
We were paying $135/month for DirecTV, even with a promotion for HBO/SHO. We decided to do the $105 offer for 3 months of DirecTV Now with the ATV4k. Of course, we should not have expected the experience to be like what we were used to with the satellite for the past 11 years. However, we have found the guide, switching channels, the favorites, and even the DVR to be just too cumbersome. The significant other particularly dislikes the inability to see the image when rewinding or fast-forwarding. Oh, and the inability to restart or backup live. We decided to give the satellite people a call, and told them we were considering cancelling, simply because of cost. They transferred me to a retention, ("loyalty"), person. They immediately offered us a package that lost us only one channel we rarely watch, keeping the HBO/SHO promotion, and lowering our bill by a flat $70/month for the next 12 months. With the change in the package, and the discounts, we are at $49/month, which is even less than the new DirecTV Now rate, including HBO and SHO. We have hardly used the DirecTV Now since. I'll keep it for the three months obligation, and consider the Apple a bonus. We will talk to them again in 12 months. I am never going to pay that much for TV again-I swear! (As a side note, we currently also use Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.)
Retention gave you a much better deal than me, they made it easy for me to leave lol. The issues you mentioned are a common theme when coming from DirecTV satellite, it takes some getting used to. For most of us who did switch to DTVN the money savings won out over convenience. I was paying about what you were, but without the premium channels. I'll save about $860 a year with DTVN over DTV, for that I can live with a little inconvenience. And the PQ is actually better, possibly due to the ATV4K.

Sony 65A1E
post #2984 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Brooks; I agree especially about the channel guide. It's a bit of a PITA. I did start another thread about "Combining" services. For instance, I noticed that Playstation Vue is really good. But it misses a lot of channels I really wanted. However, if I combine Vue with philo, I get almost all of the channels I would have gotten with DirectvNow. For the same price (Vue+Philo) vs DirectvNow, I get just about everything except starz. Same with combining Hulu TV + Philo compared to DirectvNow. For the same price as DirectvNow, minus Starz, I get just about all the channels I "WANTED". Plus Hulu, Philo, and Vue all seem to have decent DVR and channel guides. Just pointing out you might look at other options, including combining as an alternative to directv satellite.

Michael

post #2985 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Your experience with DTVN mirrors mine. It's just too cumbersome relative to DirecTV. I called retention and you got a significantly better deal than I did. I should have had you negotiating for me.

What I will miss with DTVN, is the PQ. I do think it's a bit better than DirecTV.
post #2986 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your experience with DTVN mirrors mine. It's just too cumbersome relative to DirecTV. I called retention and you got a significantly better deal than I did. I should have had you negotiating for me.

What I will miss with DTVN, is the PQ. I do think it's a bit better than DirecTV.
While I've complained quite loud on this forum and to DirectvNow about their channel guide, Roku app, and a number of other "Cumbersome" features, I don't think it's really that cumbersome. I feel it's more of a learning curve.

For instance, calling up the "WHATs ON NOW" instead of the channel guide, USUALLY shows the most recent channels you've been watching. And it learns quite quickly. So, if I'm bouncing between 2 channels, I don't have to go to the channel guide. Just arrow down on a roku remote; or menu/back on an apple tv; and it brings up the What's on now. I arrow over a click or two to the other program and hit enter. This is just one example of learning to do something "DIFFERENT" than what we're use to.

Does that mean I'm happy and satisfied with the channel guide, last channel return, lack of direct channel selection, speed of the channel selection, etc... HELL NO. But as I'm biotching to directvnow, at least I can work around some of these things.

Also, I noticed that with my apple tv, Directvnow was quite fast at loading and changing channels. But with the Roku it was real slow. Someone mentioned they spoke (Chatted) with directvnow and they said they fixed something in the "Back End" and that it should be "Better". The poster said it was a little better. Many here seemed skeptical. They figured the "Chat person" didn't do anything. Well I did an experiment. Loading the app on roku took about 20 seconds with that stupid blue screen. Once loaded, changing channels from the time you clicked on it, took around 10-15 seconds. I rebooted the roku; uninstalled and reinstalled the app; etc. SAME ISSUE. I chatted with DirectvNow and they mentioned app and roku firmware issues. They said they would update the app to me and in about 30 minutes it should be better. No problem; I'll PLAY ALONG. 30 minutes later, turned on roku/tv. Went to roku update. It indeed DID update the Roku app. I tested it. Loading the app now only takes about 10 seconds. (Half the time). Selecting a channel averages around 6 seconds. About half the time.

So they are doing things and they are improving. They still have a lot more to go, but I've been on the Alpha and Beta side of projects for 40 years. Including helping to build a very successful VOIP Phone company. If you are a techno-geek and can have some patience, I think DirectvNow is going to surpass the others in the future. They already beat everyone else with channels. I believe they'll get their channel guide, DVR, Customer Service, and other things to the lead in the future.

Michael

post #2987 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM

I started a trial with Playstation Vue and I'm finding it better, but still not as good as the convenience of DirecTV. With Vue you actually can pause live TV. You actually have a 'last' channel button that works 100% of the time and the PQ is quite comparable to DTVN. I also find channel changes quicker, although on ATV the channel changes weren't bad with DTVN.

On the downside, there are a few channels missing and you still can't direct access channels. But some of the annoyances I had with DTVN don't exist with Vue.

We shall see.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #2988 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I started a trial with Playstation Vue and I'm finding it better, but still not as good as the convenience of DirecTV. With Vue you actually can pause live TV. You actually have a 'last' channel button that works 100% of the time and the PQ is quite comparable to DTVN. I also find channel changes quicker, although on ATV the channel changes weren't bad with DTVN.

On the downside, there are a few channels missing and you still can't direct access channels. But some of the annoyances I had with DTVN don't exist with Vue.

We shall see.
I’m looking at vue also. I wrote in another thread, if you combine vue with Philo, you get most of the missing channels for about the same price. It’s a little cumbersome having two services, but it fills in most of what Directv has.

Michael

post #2989 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
What devices are showing battery percentage? I’m not seeing that.

My locks because they run on batteries

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
m_snow likes this.

Spoiler!
post #2990 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We shall see.

Just to be accurate, PS Vue pauses live TV for just 5 minutes. If you are recording that program at the same time it will pause until the program concludes.
PQ on DTVN is much better - DTVN is 1080p @60fps versus 740p @60fps for PS Vue.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2991 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Just to be accurate, PS Vue pauses live TV for just 5 minutes. If you are recording that program at the same time it will pause until the program concludes.
PQ on DTVN is much better - DTVN is 1080p @60fps versus 740p @60fps for PS Vue.

Mike, where did you see the resolution and frame rate #s and are they consistent across platforms?
post #2992 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mike, where did you see the resolution and frame rate #s and are they consistent across platforms?

The Apple TV 4K has a developer tool called Xcode which shows resolution, frame rate, bitrate, network speed along with all the audio info.

I have a tool for FireTV which is consistent with what I reported for DTVN and PS Vue on the ATV4K and FTV so I’m pretty sure that’s what they are sending on the stream to all platforms.

I do miss the last channel feature on Vue but that never worked on the ATV.

Ken Ross likes this.

Mike
post #2993 of 4767 Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 PM

It apparently changed on ATV, because last channel now works with Vue.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #2994 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the built in diagnostic tool on all 3 of my FTVs, resolution is only 720 on DTVN for channels that should be 1080. Same channels are showing as 1080 on my HDHR according to the tool. Can anyone else confirm?
post #2995 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
According to the built in diagnostic tool on all 3 of my FTVs, resolution is only 720 on DTVN for channels that should be 1080. Same channels are showing as 1080 on my HDHR according to the tool. Can anyone else confirm?
And interestingly (and I'm a pretty critical viewer) I find the PQ on both DTVN and Vue to be almost identical and yet both appear sharper than DirecTV on 1080 as well as 720p channels. So something seems odd. I was just watching a CBS PGA tournament and switching between all 3. DTVN and Vue both resolved more detail on my 77" LG OLED than the same broadcast on DirecTV.
post #2996 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And interestingly (and I'm a pretty critical viewer) I find the PQ on both DTVN and Vue to be almost identical and yet both appear sharper than DirecTV on 1080 as well as 720p channels. So something seems odd. I was just watching a CBS PGA tournament and switching between all 3. DTVN and Vue both resolved more detail on my 77" LG OLED than the same broadcast on DirecTV.
I also thought the DTV picture looked softer, less detailed c/w DTVN.

Sony 65A1E
post #2997 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post

You’re right. The FTV is playing at 740p/60 while the ATV4K is playing 1080p/60 on the same channel (local NBC). See screenshots below. I used the FTV System Monitor tool for FTV and the Apple HUD from Xcode on the ATV4K.

This is on my less expensive HD TV upstairs but the Apple is noticeably and understandably sharper than the FTV.

Edit: just looked at the bitrate differences. FTV very, very low audio bitrate compared to ATV and the video is between 1/3 to 1/2 less on the FTV (4 mbps for FTV vs almost 10 for Apple).

Mike

Last edited by m_snow; 08-11-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #2998 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is there any way to see and optionally link to DirecTV Now bookmarks, through a browser or Roku Box? I've figured out how to set them, but not how to see them, which seems pretty worthless.

I'm sure it's very obvious, and I've just missed it.

I know I can create my own web page on my PC that has links to the individual programs, but it seems like DTVN would make this easy.

Also, one thing that I miss in DirecTV Now that exists on competitive services is the ability to see a list of recommended programs similar to what one is currently watching. Is there some way to get that? E.g., is there a free Internet service that can look at a set of shows and find similar shows?
post #2999 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You’re right. The FTV is playing at 740p/60 while the ATV4K is playing 1080p/60 on the same channel (local NBC).
So the FTV itself is throttling the bitrate? I'm glad I have the ATV4K.

Sony 65A1E
post #3000 of 4767 Old 08-11-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Not to start anything because I am coming to DTV Now in November but I am trying Sling TV for 7 day trial and it does DD + for live TV. Very nice, DTV Now better get on that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page