DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2070Likes

post #3181 of 5624 Old 08-31-2018, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
Recently, On my Roku Express, I keep getting "Well, that was unexpected." errors. while looking at DirecTV Now.

In the course of looking for solutions, I found lots of people saying that the latest versions of the Roku app have a lot of problems, including that. I wonder if they just have too much software bloat.

I do wish the app wouldn't some up playing a channel, without being requested. It often takes a few minutes of up-arrow, down-arrow, and right-arrow presses to get out of it, before I can do anything. What a major design defect!

Also, here is a nice web page

http://downdetector.com/status/directv-now/map

which gives a map of reported Directv Now outages. Cool page!
Even with a Roku Ultra and expanded memory card, last few times I ran DTVN on it, it says it's downloading something that will help? Can't recall the dialogue box wording. But it did this each time which slows loading and then I couldn't navigate menu until channel loaded and launched.

This app hasn't improved much on Roku since beta was invite only. I complained about it then but since the extra download seems to need reload, this app was going backwards while I was subscribed. Sad to hear it isn't getting better still.

Much faster with ATV4K. No waiting for channel to launch, prohibiting menu navigation but channel change overall was faster too.

The Roku app for DTVN needs an overhaul.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 5624 Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Anyone else see in the guide that College Football Countdown is on ESPN, and 2018 US Open Tennis in on ESPN 2, but when you tune to them it’s actually vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #3183 of 5624 Old 09-01-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
This was ESPN's choice to play Serena vs Venus on the main channel. Once the match was over they switched it back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
Anyone else see in the guide that College Football Countdown is on ESPN, and 2018 US Open Tennis in on ESPN 2, but when you tune to them it’s actually vice versa?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.85 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
DirectvNow and Roku

Has anyone been able to find any new information about using DirectvNow on a Roku. It seems to take about 10+ seconds for the app to load from Roku.And when changing channels; once in the app; changing takes about 6-8 seconds. This is really unbearable for the wife.

On my Apple tv 4k on the other tv, opening the app and changing channels is almost instantaneous. Around 1-2 seconds. Getting another apple tv for the wife's tv isn't really an option. She likes the roku for the other apps; including apps that aren't available on the apple tv. I even have the roku and the apple tv on the main OLED tv I watch downstairs. But the wife is use to a roku for netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. and she's not wanting to change.

Anyone get any info on a firmware fix or app fix to take care of this.

Thanks. mike

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #3185 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I hate to ask but, does anyone have a link to the latest DTVN APK that works on the ShieldTV?

The one that I had stopped working and everything I've tried so far does not work.

Thanks!
post #3186 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I hate to ask but, does anyone have a link to the latest DTVN APK that works on the ShieldTV?

The one that I had stopped working and everything I've tried so far does not work.

Thanks!

Here, but you’ll need to install the Amazon App Store app on your Shield and log in with a valid Amazon ID. The best way is to extract the apk from a FireTV but this one is the same version. Hope this works for you.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/att-se...ase/#downloads

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3187 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I’ve had Directv Now since they offered $35;for 100 channels and at first, I forgot that I even had the service because it was so bad at the time. I’ve decided to cancel regular Directv when my contract is up next month and just use Directv Now For the last 9 months or so, I’ve only been using the streaming service and it has gotten much better. DVR still has a long ways to go for improvement, and you can’t rewind live tv, but the stream is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dan4081 likes this.

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
post #3188 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
I’ve had Directv Now since they offered $35;for 100 channels and at first, I forgot that I even had the service because it was so bad at the time. I’ve decided to cancel regular Directv when my contract is up next month and just use Directv Now For the last 9 months or so, I’ve only been using the streaming service and it has gotten much better. DVR still has a long ways to go for improvement, and you can’t rewind live tv, but the stream is pretty good.

Agreed. I've had DirectvNow for a little over 3 months. It's been fine. I've had no actual outages. Yesterday, I did have an issue with TNT or TBS (Can't remember) with no audio. But it wasn't a DirectvNow issue, because it was apparently an issue also on satellite. Other than that, no issues with the service.

My only issues with DirectvNow, is that the App SUCKS with Roku. It's too slow starting and changing channels. (Apple tv is fast, but that's not an option for ALL of my tv's). Also, little features like DIRECT ENTRY to a channel or last channel entry are features that they need to get on board with. It sucks having to go through the guide to get to a channel. Sometimes, the what's on section has what I want, so it can be a little faster. But that doesn't list all the channels. And "Favorites" isn't a good option. I'd still be scrolling through 30+ channels.

Other than "Features" or lack of, DirectvNow has been very good. I like the quality and reliability.
dan4081 likes this.

Michael

post #3189 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I agree with the sentiments above as well. I finally got the wife to agree to cancel the way overprice Xfinity triple play package we had and go with DirecTV Now. We will save between $1-2k a year doing so. We will keep them for internet only, and actually bumped up our internet a little and still are saving a ton.

One question I have for some of you more experienced users - I have two Apple TV 4K's on the tv's we primarily use and have been trialing the service for the past two months (Main living room TV and Master Bedroom TV) however we have one more bedroom TV that is just a 1080P HD tv that I will need to purchase a streamer to use this service for TV viewing now. I'm thinking another Apple TV is not worth the money for just that - what is the consensus next best streamer that is a little less harmful to the wallet but still does HD? One where the wife won't start giving me a hard time for agreeing to the switch because she has to wait 10 seconds for the channel to change though... :-)
Thanks!

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #3190 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Newest Fire TV box is nearly as snappy as ATV but also nearly as expensive. All Rokus are slow running DTVN. Chromecast is also a speedy option but a PITA to operate from a phone. All of the above are still HD.

If you are new to DTVN and don’t mind a little hassle, cancel then sign back up for the free ATV deal with a different email.
post #3191 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
I agree with the sentiments above as well. I finally got the wife to agree to cancel the way overprice Xfinity triple play package we had and go with DirecTV Now. We will save between $1-2k a year doing so. We will keep them for internet only, and actually bumped up our internet a little and still are saving a ton.

One question I have for some of you more experienced users - I have two Apple TV 4K's on the tv's we primarily use and have been trialing the service for the past two months (Main living room TV and Master Bedroom TV) however we have one more bedroom TV that is just a 1080P HD tv that I will need to purchase a streamer to use this service for TV viewing now. I'm thinking another Apple TV is not worth the money for just that - what is the consensus next best streamer that is a little less harmful to the wallet but still does HD? One where the wife won't start giving me a hard time for agreeing to the switch because she has to wait 10 seconds for the channel to change though... :-)
Thanks!
Go on ebay and get a pre-owned apple tv 4th gen (1080p - not 4k). I see them on there for around $50-$60. A lot of people sell them, because they upgraded to a 4k tv and bought a new apple tv 4k.

Or, in one of my guest rooms, I connected an older not being used small cube PC to the tv. (TV is like the monitor). But I can log into DirectvNow, Netflix, or whatever from there.

Michael

post #3192 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Go on ebay and get a pre-owned apple tv 4th gen (1080p - not 4k). I see them on there for around $50-$60. A lot of people sell them, because they upgraded to a 4k tv and bought a new apple tv 4k.

Or, in one of my guest rooms, I connected an older not being used small cube PC to the tv. (TV is like the monitor). But I can log into DirectvNow, Netflix, or whatever from there.
This also bring up an issue. How do you protect your logins in all of your apps from guests?

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
post #3193 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Newest Fire TV box is nearly as snappy as ATV but also nearly as expensive. All Rokus are slow running DTVN. Chromecast is also a speedy option but a PITA to operate from a phone. All of the above are still HD.

If you are new to DTVN and don’t mind a little hassle, cancel then sign back up for the free ATV deal with a different email.
I don't believe they are offering the ATV4K deal anymore
post #3194 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
I don't believe they are offering the ATV4K deal anymore

You're right. Looks like the only freebie at the moment is a Roku Stick, which is no speed demon.
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...ew-subscribers
post #3195 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the most part I'm very happy with DTVN on the Apple TV. I did have an issue yesterday, though. I was watching a show I had recorded on the DVR. I had been zipping through commercials with no problem until about halfway through the show. I hit play when the show came back from commercials and it jumped back to the beginning of the show. I zipped through the show two or three times and every time I got to that same spot it jumped back to the beginning. It was annoying.
post #3196 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Quote:

One question I have for some of you more experienced users - I have two Apple TV 4K's on the tv's we primarily use and have been trialing the service for the past two months (Main living room TV and Master Bedroom TV) however we have one more bedroom TV that is just a 1080P HD tv that I will need to purchase a streamer to use this service for TV viewing now. I'm thinking another Apple TV is not worth the money for just that - what is the consensus next best streamer that is a little less harmful to the wallet but still does HD? One where the wife won't start giving me a hard time for agreeing to the switch because she has to wait 10 seconds for the channel to change though... 🙂
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I’m assuming the Amazon sticks aren’t as speedy as the FireTV box, but maybe that’s a bad assumption?

Unfortunately the deal is in fact dead for the AppleTV 4K, but I may have to check into the Apple TV 4 approach idea. Then she wouldn’t have to potentially learn different things depending on where she’s watching.

At least I’m past the biggest hurdle.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #3197 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the most part I'm very happy with DTVN on the Apple TV. I did have an issue yesterday, though. I was watching a show I had recorded on the DVR. I had been zipping through commercials with no problem until about halfway through the show. I hit play when the show came back from commercials and it jumped back to the beginning of the show. I zipped through the show two or three times and every time I got to that same spot it jumped back to the beginning. It was annoying.

That happened to me too watching a recorded Notorious RBG.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3198 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
That happened to me too watching a recorded Notorious RBG.

Mine was an episode of Killjoys. Were you ever able to get it to work? I tried a system restart but it didn't help.
post #3199 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine was an episode of Killjoys. Were you ever able to get it to work? I tried a system restart but it didn't help.
No, it kept going back to 21 minutes (2 hour movie) so after 4 attempts to scrub through commercials I gave up and just fast forwarded it to the right spot and just let it go without trying it again. Very frustrating but still the picture quality is excellent.

Mike
post #3200 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 635
This is a great service, costs me $60 a month, got the package I wanted and added another concurrent user for my parents to watch
Saved my mom and dad $120 a month they were paying for dish

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #3201 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I’m assuming the Amazon sticks aren’t as speedy as the FireTV box, but maybe that’s a bad assumption?
Good assumption. It's slower than the box but faster than Roku. But I don't remember exactly as I only use the stick occasionally when I travel.

My main box for DTVN is an Android TV box (Channel Master Stream+), and it takes 6 seconds from launch to seeing video. Channel changes take 2 seconds. Takes me 12 seconds to scroll from A-Z in the Guide. That's tolerable to me and faster than satellite. My Rokus are much slower, but it doesn't really bother me. It's just TV after all.

Seems like somebody posted some channel changing times on other platforms earlier in this thread within the past month or so.
post #3202 of 5624 Old 09-04-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Here, but you’ll need to install the Amazon App Store app on your Shield and log in with a valid Amazon ID. The best way is to extract the apk from a FireTV but this one is the same version.
Wrong version. Despite description, that's a mobile version, hence impossible to control via remote and doesn't fit the screen.
This is a good version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ak447...538_amazon.apk
post #3203 of 5624 Old 09-05-2018, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wrong version. Despite description, that's a mobile version, hence impossible to control via remote and doesn't fit the screen.

This is a good version:

Thanks, this should go to @Stevetd .

Have you heard of one that will work on the Sony Android TV? The error message is that it can’t determine the location even after enabling Location in the app permissions. The same version works fine on the Shield.

Mike
post #3204 of 5624 Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
This is a good version:
Quote:
Thanks, this should go to @Stevetd .

Have you heard of one that will work on the Sony Android TV? The error message is that it can’t determine the location even after enabling Location in the app permissions. The same version works fine on the Shield.

I'll try this one tonight. Thanks for the help!
post #3205 of 5624 Old 09-05-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 688
DVR space was getting tight again so I checked upcoming recordings, there's a bunch of programs I've never scheduled or even watched before set to record: "Raging Planet", "Deadly Intelligence", and some show about a volcano. WTF? I canceled them all except it wouldn't let me cancel Deadly Intelligence, with 4 episodes set to record. This is crazy.
post #3206 of 5624 Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked: 4407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
DVR space was getting tight again so I checked upcoming recordings, there's a bunch of programs I've never scheduled or even watched before set to record: "Raging Planet", "Deadly Intelligence", and some show about a volcano. WTF? I canceled them all except it wouldn't let me cancel Deadly Intelligence, with 4 episodes set to record. This is crazy.
Sounds like a failed experiment with a Tivo type of suggestions.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3207 of 5624 Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 5794
So I'm watching an episode of Puppy Dog Pals(with my lil guy of course) and it's showing Dolby Digital!
Watching it via the "on demand"
I've never seen dd source with DtvNow so this is pretty cool
post #3208 of 5624 Old 09-06-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sounds like a failed experiment with a Tivo type of suggestions.
You're right, they *were* programs I would have been interested in watching. I had actually watched and recorded "Deadly Intelligence" when I had DTV but never with DTVN. Another weird thing happened last week when it "recorded" a program on Nat Geo Wild, which is not in my package, for a show I would have been interested in, but when I clicked on it gave me a subscribe option but not let me watch.
post #3209 of 5624 Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
So I'm watching an episode of Puppy Dog Pals(with my lil guy of course) and it's showing Dolby Digital!
Watching it via the "on demand"
I've never seen dd source with DtvNow so this is pretty cool

I’m not seeing that.

Mike
post #3210 of 5624 Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 5794
Quote:
I’m not seeing that.

I went to search, looked up Puppy Dog Pals.
Had option to watch first episode Bingo's and Rolly's Birthday: Electric Pugaloo and I got Dolby Digital.
I set up to record all episodes for my son but now I'm not getting the option to watch it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page