DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1837Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4231 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
A FEW of things to see here. (Hence, why I mentioned you need to wait for official statements from DirectvNow). Read what is WRITTEN, not what you want or don't want it to say.

1. Tomorrow we’re debuting two new AT&T* video packages that include premium access to HBO. (No where in this statement does it say it's the ONLY 2 packages)
2. DIRECTV NOW PLUS and MAX are just two of the choices we provide for live TV and great video-on-demand. (See statement 1 above)
3. This PLUS Package IS $10 MORE than the existing basic package. (Maybe that's the $10 they were rumored of in Cord Cutters and other reports).
4. Existing DIRECTV NOW customers can continue to enjoy their current lineup of channels, if they prefer. ( NO WHERE here does it say that EXISTING customers will have a PRICE INCREASE)
5. MOST IMPORTANT: At launch, (Tomorrow) more details on DIRECTV NOW PLUS and MAX and other video entertainment choices we offer will be available.

So, first of all. I will ALWAYS REFER to the SOURCE; in this case AT&T before I will refer to Cord Cutters, Reddit, or ANY other 3rd party rumor mill. Secondly; we will see soon enough what the "OTHER" video entertainment choices are. (Including to statement: "Are just two of the choices we provide..........".

Finally; DirectvNow has always worked perfectly for me. If I get to keep my current package, even if they do raise the price (BUT NO WHERE IN THEIR ARTICLE DO THEY SAY THEY WILL); it would still be cheaper than what I was paying for with Satellite and with other providers to get the same channels. Also; AT&T is not in the business to LOSE customers. They knew they were going to lose customers after the promos were done at Christmas. This was expected. This is an orchestrated business move.

THEORY: This is strictly MY THEORY. Remember, they have recently come out with an Directv proprietary streaming Box. (Instead of a roku, apple, firestick, etc.). Some people have even been beta testing it. AT&T hasn't invested in any significant repairs or launching of satellites for a few years now. MY THEORY IS: (Based partly on things I've read); that AT&T is trying to PHASE OUT Satellite TV. They are going to replace it with a Streaming Version. DIRECTVNOW was STRICTLY AN EXPERIMENT. Instead of PAYING people to test it; they had CUSTOMERS who actually PAID THEM to TEST IT FOR THEM. In other words, they used DirectvNow as a beta project to figure out the best way to Stream tv to all their customers. I see eventually DirectvNow disappearing; and there ONLY BEING Directv left. Directv will replace satellite service. (Except for the few hold outs that have no choice for a little while). They will migrate their satellite customers to the new streaming service; with their new streaming box. And then they'll have basically the Directv Satellite Packages; at a cheaper price; via internet streaming. And at that point, or SOONER, DirectvNOW (As we Know It) will cease to existing. There will only be basically 1 Directv tv service.
No offense but I think you give them too much credit for being smart. I don't think they had a master plan and it's coming to it's conclusion but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4232 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Egan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bethlehem PA
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
2. DIRECTV NOW PLUS and MAX are just two of the choices we provide for live TV and great video-on-demand. (See statement 1 above)

MY THEORY IS: (Based partly on things I've read); that AT&T is trying to PHASE OUT Satellite TV. They are going to replace it with a Streaming Version.
If you click the link about other video choices it takes you to DTV satellite so they're not talking about other streaming options. And you don't have to have a personal theory about AT&T wanting to phase out satellite TV, they've stated years ago after acquiring DTV that that was their intention. It's much cheaper to stream than to launch satellites.
beerhunt likes this.

Sony 65A1E
Egan is offline  
post #4233 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
THEORY: This is strictly MY THEORY. Remember, they have recently come out with an Directv proprietary streaming Box. (Instead of a roku, apple, firestick, etc.). Some people have even been beta testing it. AT&T hasn't invested in any significant repairs or launching of satellites for a few years now. MY THEORY IS: (Based partly on things I've read); that AT&T is trying to PHASE OUT Satellite TV. They are going to replace it with a Streaming Version. DIRECTVNOW was STRICTLY AN EXPERIMENT. Instead of PAYING people to test it; they had CUSTOMERS who actually PAID THEM to TEST IT FOR THEM. In other words, they used DirectvNow as a beta project to figure out the best way to Stream tv to all their customers. I see eventually DirectvNow disappearing; and there ONLY BEING Directv left. Directv will replace satellite service. (Except for the few hold outs that have no choice for a little while). They will migrate their satellite customers to the new streaming service; with their new streaming box. And then they'll have basically the Directv Satellite Packages; at a cheaper price; via internet streaming. And at that point, or SOONER, DirectvNOW (As we Know It) will cease to existing. There will only be basically 1 Directv tv service.
Yes, this is more or less what I've been saying for a long time. Most recently, see my post from yesterday.

AT&T does want to transition as many of their video customers as possible over from satellite to streaming, although they know that will take years to accomplish. They're on record saying that they foresee their satellite TV service shifting its focus to rural areas in the next few years, presumably because that's where people are likely to lack access to decent broadband.

Here's a new story just today about how their forthcoming premium OTT TV service (not sure if it will be branded DirecTV or AT&T TV), which will use the C71 Osprey box, "aims to eventually replace DBS delivered video".

AT&T: Phase Out of Legacy Directv to Begin with AT&T Osprey STB

A former employee of DirecTV over on another forum is still in touch with guys in engineering there. He says several of them tell him that the word from management is to expect to no longer perform satellite uplinks 4-5 years from now. Obviously, you have to take that with a grain of salt -- not only because it's third-hand info but also because corporate plans can and often do change in a such a long timeframe. Still, though, it might give us some idea as to how long AT&T expects to be operating a satellite-based TV service.

As for DirecTV Now getting shut down or phased out, who knows? If AT&T has that service structured so that it's profitable for them going forward, I don't know why they would want to kill it. Perhaps at some point it just gets absorbed into the main streaming DirecTV (or AT&T TV, however it's branded) service as the lowest cost starter tier(s). Or maybe they wish to keep it separately branded because it's intended for use with one's own devices, with month-to-month service, while their main TV service will continue to require an AT&T-issued box and up-front commitment for the foreseeable future.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by NashGuy; 03-12-2019 at 08:51 PM.
NashGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4234 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
If you click the link about other video choices it takes you to DTV satellite so they're not talking about other streaming options. And you don't have to have a personal theory about AT&T wanting to phase out satellite TV, they've stated years ago after acquiring DTV that that was their intention. It's much cheaper to stream than to launch satellites.
My theory was basically that "DirectvNow" is/was an "Experiment". It isn't their final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
No offense but I think you give them too much credit for being smart. I don't think they had a master plan and it's coming to it's conclusion but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sorry; also no offense; but I've worked with and for some of the biggest tech companies. Unless your annual salary is in the double digit millions; or at least your net worth is somewhere close to that; I think I'll trust AT&T's business decisions more than yours or anyone else posting on a public forum. AT&T's net worth is more than $200 BILLION.

I can complain about their service. I can complain about their customer support. And their products. etc... But when it comes to their business model, I think they know a bit more than anyone here does. Sorry; no offense.
tenthplanet and beerhunt like this.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #4235 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 624
I’m still showing the same cost
I won’t leave for $10, it’s been a great service for half of what I was paying for dish
And, I added another concurrent user for my dad, allowing him to cut his dish bill
And, I got 3 Apple TV 4Ks out of it

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
5x10 is offline  
post #4236 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,176
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
True. But as someone who currently works with ALL the various forms of network connectivity, I can tell you that Metro-Ethernet and Gigabit circuits are getting really cheap nowaday. A lot of people think you need MORE bandwidth. The truth is, you just need the RIGHT TYPE of Duplex connection. I buy a lot of data circuits. Yearly bill is in the millions. A 20mb MOE Ethernet connection will give you better network service than 100mb/10mb cable broadband or DSL. And such a circuit is already priced down to where most businesses can easily afford them. I have a number of work complexes around the state with 20, 30, 40 employees using a 10mb or 20mb MOE ethernet. And when I test actual throughput, it does better than my 100mb/10mb cable broadband. Total different connectivity. My bigger offices have 1GB ethernet connections. And these prices are getting very reasonable. Maybe not for the typical "Residential Customer", but for a business, the cost is a drop in the bucket. A sports bar could easily do 5-10 tv's.
Good to hear, I can think of a few places I wouldn't want to be when a big game buffers or a media error pops up.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #4237 of 5157 Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
My theory was basically that "DirectvNow" is/was an "Experiment". It isn't their final product.


Sorry; also no offense; but I've worked with and for some of the biggest tech companies. Unless your annual salary is in the double digit millions; or at least your net worth is somewhere close to that; I think I'll trust AT&T's business decisions more than yours or anyone else posting on a public forum. AT&T's net worth is more than $200 BILLION.

I can complain about their service. I can complain about their customer support. And their products. etc... But when it comes to their business model, I think they know a bit more than anyone here does. Sorry; no offense.
Listen dude I'm a customer, been one for a long time. I do not hate AT&T because I wouldn't be customer. To me this does not look like some master plan. It looks like making business decisions as they go. Also if they think they are gonna sign people up to this new DTV satellite without the satellite streaming service for 135 bucks a month, good luck. People do not want to pay those crazy bills anymore and they have choice now.
Who the hell are you to talk about salaries you elitist A-Hole. We all can have opinions not just people at certain salary levels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
beerhunt and MisterMars like this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #4238 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
My theory was basically that "DirectvNow" is/was an "Experiment". It isn't their final product.


Sorry; also no offense; but I've worked with and for some of the biggest tech companies. Unless your annual salary is in the double digit millions; or at least your net worth is somewhere close to that; I think I'll trust AT&T's business decisions more than yours or anyone else posting on a public forum. AT&T's net worth is more than $200 BILLION.

I can complain about their service. I can complain about their customer support. And their products. etc... But when it comes to their business model, I think they know a bit more than anyone here does. Sorry; no offense.
Agreed with the above. People can complain all they want but the folks running these companies are very smart and know exactly what they are doing. At the $50 billion tech giant i work for, we don't make decisions without a lot of thought and neither does AT&T.

Again, if you don't like the price hike, switch. That's what I just did after a year on DTVnow moving to YouTubeTV. DTNNow is a fine service and I wish them luck but at $70 /month, vs. $40 for YTV...i sawitched. When 5G is readily available, Verizon will get a hard look for my ISP over Comcast.

@jameshetfield We get it, you are mad about paying $135 a month. We were all there at one point but in 2019 you have choices....hopefully you are taking advantage of this.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #4239 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,675
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Another big billing surprise being reported by some is that HBO is also increasing from $5/mo to $15. I can confirm that, so far, my bill shows an increase of just $10 total starting April 12, with no increase for HBO, possibly because I'm still grandfathered at the old rate. But others with HBO have reported an increase of $20, ($10 for their package plus another $10 for HBO).
mdavej is offline  
post #4240 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Yeah AT&T is so smart they are what, 200 billion in debt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #4241 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Agreed with the above. People can complain all they want but the folks running these companies are very smart and know exactly what they are doing. At the $50 billion tech giant i work for, we don't make decisions without a lot of thought and neither does AT&T.



Again, if you don't like the price hike, switch. That's what I just did after a year on DTVnow moving to YouTubeTV. DTNNow is a fine service and I wish them luck but at $70 /month, vs. $40 for YTV...i sawitched. When 5G is readily available, Verizon will get a hard look for my ISP over Comcast.


@jameshetfield We get it, you are mad about paying $135 a month. We were all there at one point but in 2019 you have choices....hopefully you are taking advantage of this.


So big tech is infallible and their decisions should never be questioned , that’s a pretty unreasonable take and a scary one imo


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #4242 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,971
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
I guess with the new changes to DirecTV NOW, I will never be subscribing again? Unless I get it for free for a few months. Especially with them removing BBCA, History, and the Discovery channel. Since those were three channels I needed from any streaming service I subscribe to.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #4243 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Red face

Well, for those who didn’t look yet, the new packages have come out and those existing customers are grandfathered to their existing plan, with NO PRICE INCREASE. I logged into my account. It shows my existing package at the price I have been paying. And it shows next month being the same price.

For those who were thinking and making decisions with emotions, and possibly switched providers,..... OH WELL.
Ph8te likes this.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #4244 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,675
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah AT&T is so smart they are what, 200 billion in debt.
Only because they made the brilliant move of paying $67 billion for a satellite business they intended to shut down. At 1.6 million subscribers as of last quarter, that's $42,000 it cost to acquire each subscriber. At a generous $125/month, break-even on each is 28 years. Yeah, they know best because they get paid the big bucks

I'm no financial genius, but there are a lot of bad moves by media giants I just shook my head at when they happened, like TW's acquisition of AOL or Verizon's acquisition of Yahoo. Even the smartest CEO's surrounded by yes-men can make really, really dumb moves.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
mdavej is offline  
post #4245 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,675
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Well, for those who didn’t look yet, the new packages have come out and those existing customers are grandfathered to their existing plan, with NO PRICE INCREASE. I logged into my account. It shows my existing package at the price I have been paying. And it shows next month being the same price.

For those who were thinking and making decisions with emotions, and possibly switched providers,..... OH WELL.
You did not slip through the cracks. Check again on or after April 12. That's the magic date.
mdavej is offline  
post #4246 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,971
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Only because they made the brilliant move of paying $67 billion for a satellite business they intended to shut down. At 1.6 million subscribers as of last quarter, that's $42,000 it cost to acquire each subscriber. At a generous $125/month, break-even on each is 28 years. Yeah, they know best because they get paid the big bucks

I'm no financial genius, but there are a lot of bad moves by media giants I just shook my head at when they happened, like TW's acquisition of AOL or Verizon's acquisition of Yahoo. Even the smartest CEO's surrounded by yes-men can make really, really dumb moves.
???? DirecTV has around 20 million subscribers. Not 1.6 million.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #4247 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Listen dude I'm a customer, been one for a long time. I do not hate AT&T because I wouldn't be customer. To me this does not look like some master plan. It looks like making business decisions as they go. Also if they think they are gonna sign people up to this new DTV satellite without the satellite streaming service for 135 bucks a month, good luck. People do not want to pay those crazy bills anymore and they have choice now.
Who the hell are you to talk about salaries you elitist A-Hole. We all can have opinions not just people at certain salary levels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
There is nothing elitist about my post. It’s really simple. I trust their business model and decisions more than yours. The reason for mentioning salaries and net worth is because; if you were as good at running an international company as they are, you’d probably be doing that for a living right now. And making that kind of income. Yes, we are all allowed to have opinions. But you’re the one that claimed that I was giving att too much credit for being smart. I’m simply giving them more credit for business decisions, then I give ANYONE on this or similar forums. Unless as I eluded to, you or someone else here is running a billion dollar corporation; which would result in you having the salary and net worth I mentioned. It’s a correlation. I know quite a few ceo’s, and they aren’t making $50-$100k a year. They are making millions.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #4248 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Yeah they are genuises, 200 billion in debt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #4249 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You did not slip through the cracks. Check again on or after April 12. That's the magic date.
Monthly bills are done on the 9th-11th. If they raise the price $10 on the 12th, then so be it. The monthly cost is still cheaper than me moving to another provider and getting the same channels.

For now, I am paying the same as I was a month ago and 6 months ago. If that changes in the future, I will reassess then. I just think it’s funny when I see all those who jumped ship over the last week. The made decisions without using their brain. They aren’t under any contract. They can leave at any time. But declaring their decision and leaving yesterday or days ago, ...... what did they achieve? They didn’t save any money. They didn’t avoid a price increase. Were they trying to make a moral statement? Who knows. But today, I am paying the same as yesterday. According to my account, I will be paying the same again on April 9th. If my May 9th bill goes up, I’ll decide then.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #4250 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Only because they made the brilliant move of paying $67 billion for a satellite business they intended to shut down. At 1.6 million subscribers as of last quarter, that's $42,000 it cost to acquire each subscriber. At a generous $125/month, break-even on each is 28 years. Yeah, they know best because they get paid the big bucks



I'm no financial genius, but there are a lot of bad moves by media giants I just shook my head at when they happened, like TW's acquisition of AOL or Verizon's acquisition of Yahoo. Even the smartest CEO's surrounded by yes-men can make really, really dumb moves.
That what I was trying to say but you said it much better, thanks and I agree.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #4251 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,675
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???? DirecTV has around 20 million subscribers. Not 1.6 million.
Oops. Looks like I got my data from the wrong site. Revised cost per sub closer to $4,000 then.
mdavej is offline  
post #4252 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah they are genuises, 200 billion in debt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


You shouldn’t comment at all because your opinion doesn’t matter because of some ridiculous net worth/value as a person calculation . I agree with your classification of elitist . I personally think you are wasting your breath , these guys don’t care what you think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #4253 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
So you shouldn’t comment at all because your opinion doesn’t matter because of some ridiculous net worth/value as a person calculation . I agree with your classification of elitist . I personally think you are eating your breath , these guys don’t care what you think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I agree, how ridiculous. We would all listen to Kim Kardashian because of her networth.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #4254 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,675
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
AT&T CSR also reportedly confirmed 100 hr DVR option to launch soon as well as live TV trickplay. I've had live trickplay off and on with my Osprey box. But it currently doesn't work.
beerhunt likes this.
mdavej is offline  
post #4255 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Egan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bethlehem PA
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Another big billing surprise being reported by some is that HBO is also increasing from $5/mo to $15. I can confirm that, so far, my bill shows an increase of just $10 total starting April 12, with no increase for HBO, possibly because I'm still grandfathered at the old rate. But others with HBO have reported an increase of $20, ($10 for their package plus another $10 for HBO).
Looking at my acct it shows I have HBO, paying $5, and with a slash through $15. I guess I need to keep it now or else I'll pay $15/month, in the past I would only add it when Bill Maher and John Oliver were on. I hate the new changes.
aaronwt and Hetfieldjames like this.

Sony 65A1E
Egan is offline  
post #4256 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Is there any word on if the new regular DirecTV packages are going to include those new streaming boxes some of you have been beta testing? And then do they tack on per box fees like the regular satellite? Or is it like we have it where you sign up for streaming and you’re on your own to figure out how to get it. Just curios how they are going about this as that new streaming box seemed to be intended for that but can’t see where it would even come into play on the site so far. I guess if they really want people to shift to streaming and they are still piling on the incentives on their website to sign up for satellite but the streaming has zero incentives and no benefits how exactly are they pushing it? Maybe it’s just too soon and they’re just setting it up for an advertising campaign during March madness? So far it’s not quite adding up.
NashGuy likes this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
KK in CT is online now  
post #4257 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
Is there any word on if the new regular DirecTV packages are going to include those new streaming boxes some of you have been beta testing? And then do they tack on per box fees like the regular satellite? Or is it like we have it where you sign up for streaming and you’re on your own to figure out how to get it. Just curios how they are going about this as that new streaming box seemed to be intended for that but can’t see where it would even come into play on the site so far. I guess if they really want people to shift to streaming and they are still piling on the incentives on their website to sign up for satellite but the streaming has zero incentives and no benefits how exactly are they pushing it? Maybe it’s just too soon and they’re just setting it up for an advertising campaign during March madness? So far it’s not quite adding up.
You are exactly right. It's not adding up at all.

Go to this link and click the little "See more packages" link at the bottom of the page: https://www.directvnow.com/accounts/select-plan

This whole thing they started today with the regular DTV packages -- Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, etc. -- being offered over streaming via DTV Now is just WEIRD. We've all expected a streaming version of "full DTV" for awhile now but no one thought it would be like this. In fact, I can't believe that this is really it yet.

Think about it: the streaming version of DTV was supposed to be tied to the C71 Osprey box. And, because of its lower customer acquisition costs (self-install of low-cost equipment, etc.), it was supposed to be priced a little less than the satellite version. (Those are not my ideas or random internet rumors, they come from repeated statements by C-level AT&T officers.) But neither of those things is true with what we see today. In fact, these new streaming packages with names that mimic the DTV satellite packages are actually a worse value given that they are reportedly missing some of the channels from the satellite version, they apparently only come with 20 hours of cloud DVR as opposed to a Genie with 300 hrs, and they likely don't offer any sort of new subscriber contract discount or bundling discount for inclusion with other AT&T services.

Also, look at how these new packages are presented. They're nowhere to be found on the main DirecTVNow.com website. They're not touted in the press releases that AT&T just put out. To find these packages, you have to start the sign-up process for DTVN (with the apparent intention of getting either of their two new main packages, Plus or Max) and then notice and click on a little "See more packages" link. It's almost like they're trying to hide it! Also, there's nothing new that I can see on the DirecTV.com (satellite) website notifying potential subscribers that they can get the "same packages" via streaming now.

To put it bluntly: there's no way in hell that THIS kind of effort is going to convert even a tiny amount of current or potential DTV customers from satellite to internet-based delivery. And it's been reported from various sources, almost since AT&T's acquisition of DTV, that that's their long-term goal.

So what do we make of this move? Maybe it's just some sort of temporary experiment that they're doing, to see how many folks will choose to sign up for those fuller channel packages at those prices via streaming? Maybe yet to come is an entirely new "AT&T TV" service -- essentially on the same level as DTV and U-verse TV, but with different channel packages, slightly lower pricing, and the C71 Osprey box. And THAT will be their new flagship MVPD, to which they hope to transition the bulk of their subscribers in the next few years. Because clearly, nothing about any of the changes we've seen today with DTVN are going to achieve that.

AT&T: Phase Out of Legacy Directv to Begin with AT&T Osprey STB
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by NashGuy; 03-13-2019 at 09:23 AM.
NashGuy is offline  
post #4258 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
I am totally out of the loop and saw that the price hike was happening so I went into my account settings.

I have "Just Right" with 85+ channels and it looks like that is grandfathered and no longer available. Now the only other package options are "Plus" and "Max" which have far less channels. There are a lot of channels dropped in these new packages so is it safe to assume all the extra channels I have in "Just Right" will likely eventually go away and they are losing the rights to broadcast them since they aren't offered?
mutelight is offline  
post #4259 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
You are exactly right. It's not adding up at all.



Go to this link and click the little "See more packages" link at the bottom of the page: https://www.directvnow.com/accounts/select-plan



This whole thing they started today with the regular DTV packages -- Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, etc. -- being offered over streaming via DTV Now is just WEIRD. We've all expected a streaming version of "full DTV" for awhile now but no one thought it would be like this. In fact, I can't believe that this is really it yet.



Think about it: the streaming version of DTV was supposed to be tied to the C71 Osprey box. And, because of its lower customer acquisition costs (self-install of low-cost equipment, etc.), it was supposed to be priced a little less than the satellite version. (Those are not my ideas or random internet rumors, they come from repeated statements by C-level AT&T officers.) But neither of those things is true with what we see today. In fact, these new streaming packages with names that mimic the DTV satellite packages are actually a worse value given that they are reportedly missing some of the channels from the satellite version, they apparently only come with 20 hours of cloud DVR as opposed to a Genie with 300 hrs, and they likely don't offer any sort of new subscriber contract discount or bundling discount for inclusion with other AT&T services.



Also, look at how these new packages are presented. They're nowhere to be found on the main DirecTVNow.com website. They're not touted in the press releases that AT&T just put out. To find these packages, you have to start the sign-up process for DTVN (with the apparent intention of getting either of their two new main packages, Plus or Max) and then notice and click on a little "See more packages" link. It's almost like they're trying to hide it! Also, there's nothing new that I can see on the DirecTV.com (satellite) website notifying potential subscribers that they can get the "same packages" via streaming now.



To put it bluntly: there's no way in hell that THIS kind of effort is going to convert even a tiny amount of current or potential DTV customers from satellite to internet-based delivery. And it's been reported from various sources, almost since AT&T's acquisition of DTV, that that's their long-term goal.



So what do we make of this move? Maybe it's just some sort of temporary experiment that they're doing, to see how many folks will choose to sign up for those fuller channel packages at those prices via streaming? Maybe yet to come is an entirely new "AT&T TV" service -- essentially on the same level as DTV and U-verse TV, but with different channel packages, slightly lower pricing, and the C71 Osprey box. And THAT will be their new flagship MVPD, to which they hope to transition the bulk of their subscribers in the next few years. Because clearly, nothing about any of the changes we've seen today with DTVN are going to achieve that.



AT&T: Phase Out of Legacy Directv to Begin with AT&T Osprey STB


This is good info thanks for posting


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NashGuy likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #4260 of 5157 Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I am totally out of the loop and saw that the price hike was happening so I went into my account settings.

I have "Just Right" with 85+ channels and it looks like that is grandfathered and no longer available. Now the only other package options are "Plus" and "Max" which have far less channels. There are a lot of channels dropped in these new packages so is it safe to assume all the extra channels I have in "Just Right" will likely eventually go away and they are losing the rights to broadcast them since they aren't offered?
No, AT&T still has and always will have the rights to broadcast those channels. They're still parts of various channel packages on the main DTV satellite service and the U-verse TV service. And they're still available for streaming through four new DTV Now packages that sort of mimic the standard satellite packages: Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, and Ultimate. (Those packages, just made available today, are buried on the DTV Now sign-up page and are receiving zero marketing from AT&T. They're apparently not even available for streaming through AT&T stores, only through the website. So that whole thing is really weird.)

TL;DR: As long as you stay subscribed to your Just Right package, you should be good. If you like your channels, you can keep your channels.
aaronwt, Ph8te and mutelight like this.
NashGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off