DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1698Likes

post #4411 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Yeah, those subscriber losses in 4Q 18 were pretty brutal for DTVN. AT&T says those are mainly due to them cutting out cheap promo rates for AT&T mobile customers, some of whom were only paying $10 extra for DTVN. They also cut out giveaways of free devices like the Apple TV 4K to new subscribers.

But I would expect to see another big dip in subscribers in 2Q 19 (Apr - June) as some of their existing subs leave due to the $10 price increase in April, not to mention a probable blackout of Viacom channels lasting at least a few days. (Viacom and AT&T are in a standoff over their contract renewal, with those channels expected to drop from DTV, Uverse TV and, I suppose, DTV Now's grandfathered packages, tonight at midnight eastern time.) Meanwhile, the new Plus and Max packages priced at $50 and $70 won't pull in many new subs, especially after the first-month-free promo ends on March 31.

Who knows but I expect that AT&T will finally publicly roll out their C71 Android TV-powered set-top box in the 2Q too, along with whatever service/packages it's intended for use with (whether that's DTV Now, or a new service, or both). So perhaps whatever happens with all of that will have some kind of impact on DTV Now subscriber levels this spring...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 996
I heard for this first time today DTV Now commercials on the radio touting the new awful packages and man were they selling it that you get HBO free. I honestly have no clue who would look at these packages and the prices and all the competition and choose this over the others. They are not competitive at all in my eyes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #4413 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Over a quarter million free trial subs all ending around the same time? Still, DTVN was the only loser while all the other major players gained, and this was before the new awful packages were introduced. For all my complaining about the bugs with the service I'd really hate to see DTVN fold. I don't have faith in AT&T with the CEO talking about "thinning out" the service, while raising prices.

In the same quarter? I would say yes since they “grouped” the free device deals. I would agree that the head of ATT currently is saying the wrong things in regards to their entertainment side (especially so for HBO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I heard for this first time today DTV Now commercials on the radio touting the new awful packages and man were they selling it that you get HBO free. I honestly have no clue who would look at these packages and the prices and all the competition and choose this over the others. They are not competitive at all in my eyes.
I have no doubt the hawking of the "free" HBO with the rollout of the new packages was timed for next month's premier of the final season of Game of Thrones.

Sony 65A1E
post #4415 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no doubt the hawking of the "free" HBO with the rollout of the new packages was timed for next month's premier of the final season of Game of Thrones.
I guess that sells to some but not me. I never got that show.

post #4416 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess that sells to some but not me. I never got that show.
Oh it will sell to a lot, it's hugely popular. I never read the books and was often lost but there are some great channels on YT like Alt-Shift-X that do a great job explaining things.

Sony 65A1E

Last edited by Egan; 03-22-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #4417 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8970 Post(s)
Liked: 5752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Hulu cut their "Classic Hulu Libray / On-Demand" by $2.00

BUT, their "Hulu Live TV" streaming service; similar to DirectvNow; went UP $5. FROM: $39.99 TO $44.99
And their commercial free version, the one I have, stayed at the same price of $11.99 a month. I think that is a heck of a deal for all that content without commercials. But I can't stand watching commercials. Even if they paid me $100 a month, I still wouldn't want to watch their tier with commercials(the $5.99 one).
Dmon4u and Zookster like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4418 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Yeah I was going to switch to commercial free but not watching anything on Hulu at the moment after catching up on Handmaid's Tale.

I could cancel and resubscribe later but at $5.99 a month, don't bother me too much. There are a couple of shows I will check out on Hulu eventually but now there's other content I'm watching.
post #4419 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Yep, I'm sure that's true. But still, subtract $15 off the price of the new DTVN "Plus" package (as that's the price for standalone HBO Now) and you're paying $35 for the rest of the channels, along with a small 20-hour cloud DVR. I don't think it stacks up very well against the $40 YouTube TV package or the $45 Hulu with Live TV, considering the additional channels/content/features you get with those. But then, for those who would otherwise spend $15 for HBO anyhow, and who have to have The Hallmark Channel (which isn't available on YTTV or Hulu Live), then maybe these new DTVN packages look appealing. But I tend to think that's not a huge number of folks.
post #4420 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
...and who have to have The Hallmark Channel (which isn't available on YTTV or Hulu Live), then maybe these new DTVN packages look appealing. But I tend to think that's not a huge number of folks.
Philo has Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries,and Hallmark Drama, as well as several other channels for $16 per month.
sparky7 likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #4421 of 4838 Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Many of us are spoiled by having DirectvNow with the best price for the most channels. So it's logical that many will think that the new packages are the worst thing in the world. The truth is; HBO is $15 no matter where you shop. HBO directly or any other streaming provider. So that means in all reality, the new package for DirectvNow is 44 channels for $35 a month. Assuming you really like HBO; which many people do; it's not really that bad of a price. I wouldn't want the programming, but for some people I could see where it would be appealing.

The $70 package, is actually 56 channels for $44 a month. (The $15 HBO and $11 Cinemax makes up the other $26)

It's hard being a customer that HAD the most channels for the best price of all the subscribers. Even with the $10 price increase, DirectvNow CAN STILL be the cheapest for those grandfathered. (Depending on their package). Those who have HBO, Max, Showtime, and/or Starz grandfathered in, are getting them at a price no one can touch. My HBO is $5 and Starz is $8. So even with a $10 price increase, you'd be hard pressed to match it. I have done the research. IF I care about all the channels I have/had at DirectvNow, which I do; I will have to combine either hulu live tv or Youtube tv WITH Philo. DirectvNow is still cheaper.

So it's all a matter of perspective. I am checking out Hulu live tv. Honestly, the money isn't an issue for me, but since day 1, DirectvNow has been promising me I'd get locals (ANY DAY NO). Well WITH the $10 increase, even though it's cheaper still than the others + Philo; the cost is close enough to consider switching. So I can get locals in the guide. Of course having to switch between 2 different apps; e.g. hulu and Philo to watch all the channels can be a PITA. But it's all a matter of perspective.
gambler52 likes this.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #4422 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many of us are spoiled by having DirectvNow with the best price for the most channels. So it's logical that many will think that the new packages are the worst thing in the world. The truth is; HBO is $15 no matter where you shop. HBO directly or any other streaming provider. So that means in all reality, the new package for DirectvNow is 44 channels for $35 a month. Assuming you really like HBO; which many people do; it's not really that bad of a price. I wouldn't want the programming, but for some people I could see where it would be appealing.

The $70 package, is actually 56 channels for $44 a month. (The $15 HBO and $11 Cinemax makes up the other $26)

It's hard being a customer that HAD the most channels for the best price of all the subscribers. Even with the $10 price increase, DirectvNow CAN STILL be the cheapest for those grandfathered. (Depending on their package). Those who have HBO, Max, Showtime, and/or Starz grandfathered in, are getting them at a price no one can touch. My HBO is $5 and Starz is $8. So even with a $10 price increase, you'd be hard pressed to match it. I have done the research. IF I care about all the channels I have/had at DirectvNow, which I do; I will have to combine either hulu live tv or Youtube tv WITH Philo. DirectvNow is still cheaper.

So it's all a matter of perspective. I am checking out Hulu live tv. Honestly, the money isn't an issue for me, but since day 1, DirectvNow has been promising me I'd get locals (ANY DAY NO). Well WITH the $10 increase, even though it's cheaper still than the others + Philo; the cost is close enough to consider switching. So I can get locals in the guide. Of course having to switch between 2 different apps; e.g. hulu and Philo to watch all the channels can be a PITA. But it's all a matter of perspective.
Nice spin, nice try but these packages are awful and the competition is way better. HBO does not make up for losing a ton of really good channels like HGTV and that is just one. These packages are absolutely awful.

aaronwt, mutelight, mdavej and 1 others like this.
post #4423 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know those grandfathered in will retain the price (plus the $10 hike), but will those grandfathered in also retain the Viacom channels that are otherwise being dropped?
post #4424 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
If Viacom goes dark it affects everybody.
post #4425 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice spin, nice try but these packages are awful and the competition is way better. HBO does not make up for losing a ton of really good channels like HGTV and that is just one. These packages are absolutely awful.
I agree, throwing in HBO in no way makes up for the loss of all those really good premium channels. I would only add HBO a few times a year for must watch shows like GoT or Bill Maher and John Oliver, although it's not even needed for the latter 2 as they are invariably uploaded to YT.

Sony 65A1E
post #4426 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree, throwing in HBO in no way makes up for the loss of all those really good premium channels. I would only add HBO a few times a year for must watch shows like GoT or Bill Maher and John Oliver, although it's not even needed for the latter 2 as they are invariably uploaded to YT.
I guess I can't really talk because I have the Go Big package with free HBO and Showtime for 33 bucks a month.
Just look at the new packages though Hulu TV kills this service based on channel lineup and I think price as well.

post #4427 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess I can't really talk because I have the Go Big package with free HBO and Showtime for 33 bucks a month.
Just look at the new packages though Hulu TV kills this service based on channel lineup and I think price as well.
The problem with Hulu + live though is it also gets pricey when you start adding things like expanded DVR, you can't even pause or FF with the base DVR, or adding the no commercial option. It's still an easy choice for me staying with DTVN with my grandfathered package but I just don't think AT&T will keep this option forever, or they'll raise the price where it becomes not worth it to keep it.
joetech likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4428 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
They are still talking..no one wants a repeat of what happened.. with Dish and Univison (They never came to an agreement)

https://www.multichannel.com/news/at...e-negotiations
AT&T, Viacom Continue Negotiations

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #4429 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem with Hulu + live though is it also gets pricey when you start adding things like expanded DVR, you can't even pause or FF with the base DVR, or adding the no commercial option. It's still an easy choice for me staying with DTVN with my grandfathered package but I just don't think AT&T will keep this option forever, or they'll raise the price where it becomes not worth it to keep it.
They start off with 50 hours which is plenty for me and much more than the lousy 20 hours from DTV Now. 20 hours is almost like being punked.

post #4430 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They start off with 50 hours which is plenty for me and much more than the lousy 20 hours from DTV Now. 20 hours is almost like being punked.
50 is definitely better than 20 but not being able to pause, or FF through commercials, wouldn't be acceptable to me.

Sony 65A1E
post #4431 of 4838 Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
50 is definitely better than 20 but not being able to pause, or FF through commercials, wouldn't be acceptable to me.
Yeah that does suck because I use that often on my DVR now. That is a bit of a nickel and dime thing. 15 bucks is a lot too.

post #4432 of 4838 Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Some say what I propose is a "Spin". It's not "Spin". It's perspective. We are grandfathered. That's a totally different perspective. Believe it or not; MANY people get HBO. Not on and off for a couple months a year, but full time in their package. There WILL be some customers who look at the $50 package and think: "That's fine for me". What are their options? The Cheapest standard package with locals is Youtube TV for $40. Throw in HBO for $15 and you're at $55. You could go with Philo + HBO for $35 but then there's no locals and it doesn't do sports. It's all a matter of perspective.

Unfortunately, some people think their perspective is the only one that matters. For instance. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in DVR capabilities. And believe it or not; a LOT of people don't. I'd say a large percentage. So whether it's 20hrs; or 50hrs; or unlimited..... so what? If we don't use the DVR, we couldn't care less. It's like people telling me I should get "XYZ" credit card because they have the lowest interest rate. I couldn't care less if they charged me 50% interest. Why? Because I've never carried a balance on my credit card in more than 30 years. I charge a lot, but I pay the entire thing off each month. So interest is irrelevant to me. it's all a matter of perspective.

Coming from a grandfathered plan, the new plans look terrible. To me; FUBO looks terrible. It's mainly SPORTS oriented. And except for college football, I really couldn't care less. I also think Slingtv is USELESS. They don't have our locals; their base plan seems cheap enough, but when I add everything to it I need to equal what is in DirectvNow (Grandfathered GO BIG + HBO + STARZ) instead of the $88 that directvNow charges (After the $10 increase) SlingTV with everything equal to the existing DirectvNow package I have, would be: $114.00 I checked and added it up. IT'S a matter of PERSPECTIVE. So don't give me that "SPIN" CRAP. Stop being self centered and look at it WITHOUT emotions. Not saying it's the perfect package for you. Not saying you have to get it. No one is stopping you from getting a new service. Just stop kidding yourself that their plans aren't good for ANYONE. If they weren't, then they wouldn't be offering it. Obviously there are some "NEW PEOPLE" who will want it. And if they don't, I'm sure they'll change the packages around again.
iamian likes this.

Michael

Last edited by Christcorp; 03-24-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #4433 of 4838 Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some say what I propose is a "Spin". It's not "Spin". It's perspective. We are grandfathered. That's a totally different perspective. Believe it or not; MANY people get HBO. Not on and off for a couple months a year, but full time in their package. There WILL be some customers who look at the $50 package and think: "That's fine for me". What are their options? The Cheapest standard package with locals is Youtube TV for $40. Throw in HBO for $15 and you're at $55. You could go with Philo + HBO for $35 but then there's no locals and it doesn't do sports. It's all a matter of perspective.

Unfortunately, some people think their perspective is the only one that matters. For instance. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in DVR capabilities. And believe it or not; a LOT of people don't. I'd say a large percentage. So whether it's 20hrs; or 50hrs; or unlimited..... so what? If we don't use the DVR, we couldn't care less. It's like people telling me I should get "XYZ" credit card because they have the lowest interest rate. I couldn't care less if they charged me 50% interest. Why? Because I've never carried a balance on my credit card in more than 30 years. I charge a lot, but I pay the entire thing off each month. So interest is irrelevant to me. it's all a matter of perspective.

Coming from a grandfathered plan, the new plans look terrible. To me; FUBO looks terrible. It's mainly SPORTS oriented. And except for college football, I really couldn't care less. I also think Slingtv is USELESS. They don't have our locals; their base plan seems cheap enough, but when I add everything to it I need to equal what is in DirectvNow (Grandfathered GO BIG + HBO + STARZ) instead of the $88 that directvNow charges (After the $10 increase) SlingTV with everything equal to the existing DirectvNow package I have, would be: $114.00 I checked and added it up. IT'S a matter of PERSPECTIVE. So don't give me that "SPIN" CRAP. Stop being self centered and look at it WITHOUT emotions. Not saying it's the perfect package for you. Not saying you have to get it. No one is stopping you from getting a new service. Just stop kidding yourself that their plans aren't good for ANYONE. If they weren't, then they wouldn't be offering it. Obviously there are some "NEW PEOPLE" who will want it. And if they don't, I'm sure they'll change the packages around again.
Dude it's missing some of the most watched channels, period. It's missing some of the most watched channels. HGTV is the first that comes to mind. Yeah there are 2 people that will say I don't care I don't watch HGTV but 99 out 100 will say screw these packages based on HGTV alone. The food Network is another one and there are million more. These packages are absolutely useless, absolutely useless to most.
Why do you think all the other major players offer these channels, for fun? Because these are the channels people watch. The arrogance of AT&T actually astounds me. Let's charge more, take out 20 of the most watched channels and throw in lousy HBO to make everything all better. I'll say it again, these new packages are absolutely useless.

post #4434 of 4838 Old 03-24-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dude it's missing some of the most watched channels, period. It's missing some of the most watched channels.
Yes, with the atrocious new lineup if you had to have HBO you'd be better off with HBO Now + Philo or another service rather than DTVN. I hope our grandfathered plans will be available for a very long time.
joetech and tngiloy like this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4435 of 4838 Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And it's settled... Please feel free to resume our usual controversies.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/vi...-carriage-deal
Viacom, AT&T Reach Carriage Deal
MorganB likes this.

post #4436 of 4838 Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
And it's settled... Please feel free to resume our usual controversies.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/vi...-carriage-deal
Viacom, AT&T Reach Carriage Deal
AMEN!

But at least on the forums, people here are somewhat educated. You have to check out the DirectvNow facebook pages. You get to read/hear all of the MORONS. They have no business with any type of streaming tv service. They aren't smart enough to use it. They need a service like cable or satellite that don't require any type of customer involvement. Where they don't have to know how networks work.

Michael

post #4437 of 4838 Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wow I get a free Channel from DTVN for a month. What channel are they giving me free? Drum roll please .................................................. .....................Boomerang!

About 12-15 years ago that was a good channel. But now it's loaded with rehashed crap. They "updated" the classic cartoons. All their updates are horrible, but at least the color is nice and bright.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #4438 of 4838 Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AMEN!

But at least on the forums, people here are somewhat educated. You have to check out the DirectvNow facebook pages. You get to read/hear all of the MORONS. They have no business with any type of streaming tv service. They aren't smart enough to use it. They need a service like cable or satellite that don't require any type of customer involvement. Where they don't have to know how networks work.
True. Oh, time to wind the Roku.. where is that key..

post #4439 of 4838 Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Wow I get a free Channel from DTVN for a month. What channel are they giving me free? Drum roll please .................................................. .....................Boomerang!

About 12-15 years ago that was a good channel. But now it's loaded with rehashed crap. They "updated" the classic cartoons. All their updates are horrible, but at least the color is nice and bright.
I always wanted this channel but couldn’t justify going up one tier just for it. I remember with sattelite version it was the same case. Even nag geo wild. They were on the expensive tier. When I got nag geo wild with the go big package I was stocked. Wish boomerang was also included but no big deal. Free for a month, I’ll take it. Just love me them Hanna Barbera callsic toons. I watched them all as a kid and never get tired of em.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #4440 of 4838 Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
@ ki11abee
You can find most classic cartoons free on Roku Channels. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/5-fr...artoon-lovers/ or https://blog.roku.com/free-cartoon-channels

I grew up watching those old 50/60/70/80's cartoons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page