DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1828Likes

post #4621 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 58
How long does it take for the beta box to arrive? I got the email announcing that "your device will arrive soon" on the 3rd. (There wasn't -- and hasn't been -- any "tracking" data given to me.)

1) Vizio PQ65-F1 and 2) Visio D32F-F1
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Darbee Darblet DVP-5000
Roku - 2) Ultra, 1) Premiere, 1) nVidia Shield
SageTV v9 - HD300, Tablo QUAD
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (10 tuners)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
How long does it take for the beta box to arrive? I got the email announcing that "your device will arrive soon" on the 3rd. (There wasn't -- and hasn't been -- any "tracking" data given to me.)
You can have mine because it's garbage. Forced HDR and if you are thinking like I was that it kinda works like a Roku or Fire Stick you are gonna be very disappointed. I used it for a few hours and that was enough for me. How are you supposed to watch regular programming in HDR, forced HDR?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
wxman, tngiloy and Damien Inferno like this.
post #4623 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
You can have mine because it's garbage.
Where are you located?

Anyway, the question was about the shipping/delivery time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6245
Quote:

Sign up for FedEx delivery manager and you will be notified when any item has a label created for your address.
post #4625 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Sign up for FedEx delivery manager and you will be notified when any item has a label created for your address.
I did several years ago... well seems like. <chuckle>

BTW, UPS and USPS, also, provide that info once you sign on. UPS even provides one, on the delivery day, with an updating Google Map of where the truck is.

post #4626 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where are you located?

Anyway, the question was about the shipping/delivery time.
I'm in NJ. Mine came very quickly. I want to say maybe 3 days after I got the email it shipped or was on it's way.

post #4627 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I'm in NJ.
Ha ha.

Quote:
Mine came very quickly. I want to say maybe 3 days after I got the email it shipped or was on it's way.
Well, after getting with DirecTV NOW Support, I find that the Shipping Dept. believes shipping "soon (or your word; "quickly) means the end of May. And they will send me the tracking information after I receive the unit. "Not quite ready for Prime Time" comes to mind for some reason.

post #4628 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha ha.

Well, after getting with DirecTV NOW Support, I find that the Shipping Dept. believes shipping "soon (or your word; "quickly) means the end of May. And they will send me the tracking information after I receive the unit. "Not quite ready for Prime Time" comes to mind for some reason.
Maybe delayed so they take off the forced HDR? That would be a great thing

post #4629 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Mine also arrived quickly, within a week of the email. New box was manufactured over a year ago. Mine isn't running great, so the longer it takes, the better for you actually. More time to fix what they've broken this time around.
post #4630 of 5144 Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
I got mine within a few days of the email. The box is not all that great. Hate the forced HDR. I signed up for 1 month of DirecTV now and will probably drop at the end of the month when it's up. It's a beta box. I would not be surprised when they get all the bugs worked out and start their new service, these boxes will cease to function and you will have to lease one that works properly. At least we don't have to return them. I may sell it on ebay to recover my month's worth of service.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #4631 of 5144 Old 05-19-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Anyone experience not being able to FF through a recording? I'm watching a recording of ABC World News on Chrome and the 15 sec FF is grayed out and when I try to use the scrub bar it says "Sorry, fast forward is disabled for this program". I've never not been able to FF through a recording before.

Sony 65A1E
post #4632 of 5144 Old 05-19-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Anyone experience not being able to FF through a recording? I'm watching a recording of ABC World News on Chrome and the 15 sec FF is grayed out and when I try to use the scrub bar it says "Sorry, fast forward is disabled for this program". I've never not been able to FF through a recording before.

Ive seen that message before, but almost always am able to “pause” then “skip” with my ATV4K. Usually you see this message of the content is moved to OnDemand.
shoman94 likes this.
post #4633 of 5144 Old 05-19-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Ive seen that message before, but almost always am able to “pause” then “skip” with my ATV4K. Usually you see this message of the content is moved to OnDemand.
I thought of that, but it was a news broadcast, and I started watching the recording while the program was still live so it shouldn't have been available on demand.
Ph8te likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4634 of 5144 Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I thought of that, but it was a news broadcast, and I started watching the recording while the program was still live so it shouldn't have been available on demand.

That’s weird, that would have been a first, Ive seen it on certain channels, but not while still recording.
post #4635 of 5144 Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Arrow AxsTV (pronounced Access/Axis TV)

I don't know when this channel was added but if you like classic rock musik as I do....featuring live video concerts with groups such as Aerosmith, Lynard Skynard, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Bachman Turner Overdrive etc. then check it out!
oh yeah also killer is Sammy Hagar's Rock n Roll tour show!

Last edited by beerhunt; 05-19-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #4636 of 5144 Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
I don't know when this channel was added but if you like classic rock musik as I do....featuring live video concerts with groups such as Aerosmith, Lynard Skynard, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Bachman Turner Overdrive etc. then check it out!
What channel is it on?
Cliff Olson likes this.

Jack
post #4637 of 5144 Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
I think I've always had that channel.

Sony 65A1E
post #4638 of 5144 Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Yeah, AXS has been in the lineup as long as I can remember (2+ years). But now it's only available to us grandfathered users. It's been removed from the 2 new packages. Pluto has a similar channel for free.
post #4639 of 5144 Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
What channel is it on?
Read the subject header of his post. AXS TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yeah, AXS has been in the lineup as long as I can remember (2+ years). But now it's only available to us grandfathered users. It's been removed from the 2 new packages. Pluto has a similar channel for free.
Yep it's been around for years. Formerly called HDNet, it was one of the first if not the first HD network. Started by and continues to be operated by Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavs owner)
beerhunt likes this.
post #4640 of 5144 Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post

Yep it's been around for years. Formerly called HDNet, it was one of the first if not the first HD network. Started by and continues to be operated by Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavs owner)
I did read the header. It's not there. Anyway, Google knew.

Jack
post #4641 of 5144 Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DTVN lost 83k subs in Q1 2019. I just don't see how the new lineup with gimpy DVR can compete with the other streaming services, unless HBO is a must have or something.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4642 of 5144 Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DTVN lost 83k subs in Q1 2019. I just don't see how the new lineup with gimpy DVR can compete with the other streaming services, unless HBO is a must have or something.
Yeah I don't know what they are doing or where they are going with all this. It's really a mystery.

post #4643 of 5144 Old 05-23-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I don't know what they are doing or where they are going with all this. It's really a mystery.
Shall I lay out my theory? (I always have a theory, you know, ha!)

When AT&T acquired DirecTV, they did so in part to gain access to all of the carriage contracts that DTV had in place with the various cable network groups. A big thing that AT&T wanted was the ability to distribute those cable networks via the internet, especially over their cellular network to mobile phones.

None of us seemed to realize it at the time when DTVN debuted, but the channel packages that AT&T offered -- "Live a Little," "Gotta Have It," etc. -- were really just their existing channel packages from DTV satellite -- "Entertainment," "Choice," etc. -- but with new jazzy names. There were a few channels missing here and there on the DTVN streaming versions of the packages because AT&T didn't have streaming rights for those specific channels (e.g. some local affiliates of major broadcast networks, PBS affiliates, WGN America, etc.). And the streaming versions didn't include all the junk channels that actually pay DTV to be carried on satellite (e.g. HSN, etc.). But otherwise, the channel line-ups were the same. Trust me, I did side-by-side comparisons.

Why? It must be because DTVN was operating off of the existing set of network carriage contracts that were already in place for DTV. Those contracts stipulate which channels from a network group (e.g. Viacom) must be included in every package (including the lowest level cheapest one) and which can go in the various step-up packages.

I think what AT&T is in the midst of doing this year is building a simpler, skinnier set of channel packages based on contracts with the network groups that have been renewed or revised since they built the original set of packages (Entertainment, Choice, etc.). This new set consists (so far, anyway) of only two packages: Plus and Max. When those packages debuted on DTVN in March, they only included channels from the following network groups:
  • AT&T (CNN, TBS, TNT, etc.)
  • Disney (ABC, ESPN, etc.)
  • Comcast (NBC, USA, NBCSN, etc.)
  • CBS (CBS, CBS Sports)
  • Fox (Fox, Fox News, FS1, etc.)
  • plus a few one-off/independent channels: Hallmark, Accuweather, Ovation, Revolt

Those were apparently the only network groups with whom AT&T had the contractual rights to offer some of their channels in the newly structured packages. The following major groups were missing, meaning either that AT&T had yet to renegotiate/renew their carriage contracts to give them the right to include their channels in Plus and Max or that AT&T was simply holding their channels out for a better bargaining position because those renewal negotations were coming up soon.
  • Viacom (Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, etc.)
  • A+E (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc.)
  • Discovery (Discovery, HGTV, Food, Travel, ID, etc.)
  • AMC (AMC, IFC, BBCAmerica, etc.)

Now, since Plus and Max debuted, AT&T/DTV renewed their contract with Viacom in April. And what happened then? Certain Viacom channels got added to Plus and Max. We know that they're currently in contract negotiations with A+E Networks. I expect that we'll soon see some or all of that group's channels added to Plus and Max too after the contract gets renewed. That only leaves Discovery and AMC to go, and I expect we'll see at least some of their channels added too this summer.

Why do I think all this will happen this summer? Because I think these new packages are what AT&T will sell as their main new TV service with the C71 Osprey box that's currently still in beta testing. Indications from AT&T look like that service will become available in Q3 (July - Sept.) and, when it does, it will be the main TV service that they push for AT&T home broadband customers, rather than DTV satellite or Uverse TV. And I don't think AT&T will try to sell as their main TV service something that doesn't include HGTV, ID, Discovery, Food, AMC, History or A&E, all of which rank in the top 20 most popular cable channels nationwide.

AT&T's CEO has talked for awhile about slimming down the cable channel bundle to bring down the cost and make it more profitable for AT&T to sell. I think that's what this whole restructuring process with Plus and Max is about. And these new packages won't just be for DTVN and the new forthcoming service (which might simply be branded as "DirecTV Now" or "DirecTV" or maybe "AT&T TV"), they'll also be offered to DTV satellite customers. In fact, my understanding is that Plus and Max already are available to existing satellite customers if they call in and request them. But once AT&T is finished building out these new packages with all the major channels, they'll likely become the default option for new customers across all of AT&T's TV services (except Uverse TV, which will completely cease to be sold to new customers). Perhaps the old set of packages (Entertainment, Choice, etc.) will still be available but not advertised (as is now the case for DTVN). Or maybe they'll be grandfathered and only available to existing, not new, customers who already have them on DTV and DTVN.

You might notice that some channels aren't making the cut into either Plus or Max. No Weather Channel, no Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, no GSN, no RFD-TV, no MTV2. It remains to be seen if those channels just won't be available at all in the new AT&T system or if perhaps those leftover/niche channels are available in one or more add-on packs that can added to either Plus or Max (e.g. a "Heartland" theme package with Hallmark M&M, RFD-TV, Up, PixL, etc.).

Also, note how DTVN has been giving discounts of $20 off per month for the first three months for new subs. They realize that Plus and Max are incomplete and therefore a hard sell at $50 and $70 (even with HBO included). But by the time they get those channels from A+E, Discovery and AMC Networks added in, they won't be giving those $20 discounts any more. They won't need to.

And, yes, I do expect that HBO will continue to be part of both Plus and Max. AT&T sees the forthcoming expanded HBO streaming service (rumored to be called HBO Max) as the centerpiece of their video strategy going forward. They'll want everyone to have it. So my guess is that Plus and Max won't just get you the HBO linear channels, it'll also get you the new HBO Max service.

One last thought: the names Plus and Max are suggestive of second and third tiers in a set of packages. Like how Comcast (AT&T's main competitor) has recently revamped their TV packages into three tiers: Limited, Extra and Preferred. Doesn't Plus sound kind of like Extra? And Max like Preferred? So I'm wondering if we won't see AT&T introduce a very skinny cheap bundle underneath Plus. In Comcast's case, that's Limited, which is just your local channels; such locals-only packages have a long history in the local cable company industry. For a variety of reasons, I don't think that's what AT&T would aim to do. But might we see them offer the same or similar package of channels they already sell through WatchTV for $15 as a low-cost entry-level package in this new system? WatchTV doesn't include locals at all (although that could be easily remedied if AT&T offered an OTA tuner for use with the C71 Osprey box).

Further comparisons with Comcast's newly revamped TV service are also instructive. Comcast TV gives users the options of not renting any STBs or renting them for $5/mo each. The Extra and Preferred packages come with 20 hours of cloud DVR included but that can be upgraded to 60 hours for $10/mo. (Limited doesn't come with any cloud DVR but you can still add the 60 hour upgrade for $10.)

Maybe we see AT&T do basically the same thing. You can get Plus and Max through DTVN for $50 or $70, respectively. Want to use the Osprey STB and traditional voice remote with access to other Android TV apps? That'll be an extra $5/mo per box. (Or maybe AT&T will just throw in a couple for free if you commit to 12 months of service and/or bundle TV with AT&T home broadband.) And, like now, the service will come with 20 hours of cloud DVR but they'll finally introduce that long-rumored upgrade to 100 hours of storage for an extra $10/mo.

If that's how it all plays it, then DTVN becomes their one unified TV service offered to anyone with home broadband, with a consistent set of prices that vary a little depending on whether you use their boxes or use your own and on how much cloud DVR space you need. And just like with satellite TV, I expect that a discount (~$10/mo) will be offered when bundled with AT&T home broadband.

Last edited by NashGuy; 05-23-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #4644 of 5144 Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post

In my experience some software like Tapatalk does not show the subject header. Your forum reader might show it, and I appreciate you sharing it with the rest of us. Cheers!
Ph8te, PlanetAVS, beerhunt and 1 others like this.
post #4645 of 5144 Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Red face aXSTV (pronounced access)

I'm listening/watching this channel (aXS TV) now viewing Fleetwood Mac live n concert! AWESOME!!

My 'grandfathered' version of the 'GO BIG' package is awesome BTW (by the way). I don't have any plans of changing either.

Plus my gf (girlfriend) loves this setup also!. I am nearly 66 yrs of age and she is nearly 60...
I have two 2017 nVidia Shield TVs and also one Apple 4kTV streamers!

Last edited by beerhunt; 05-24-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #4646 of 5144 Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My current DTVN service "GO BIG" is ok. I wouldn't replace it atm. Now that I get my locals: ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, NBC it makes it more usable.

It would be great if the local digi-net channels were also added to them.

IE: My locals are:

6-1 CBS
6-2 TBD
6-3 Comet
10-1 ABC
10-2 GetTV
10-3 Justice Network
10-4 Escape
13-1 NBC
13-2 MeTV
13-3 Heroes&Icons
23-1 FOX
23-2 OTB
23-3 LAFF
23-4 Bounce
45-1 CW
45-2 Charge!
45-3 CBS
45-4 Stadium

So they could show up as: CBS, CBS2, CBS3, ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC4

Or just add them as regular stations by names.

Either way those are the "only other channels" I'd like added to my lineup. But if WYBN, PBS, My4 channels could be added, that would be great.

Aside from that the other DTVN packages don't work for me as they stand.
beerhunt likes this.
post #4647 of 5144 Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I did read the header. It's not there. Anyway, Google knew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diptych View Post
In my experience some software like Tapatalk does not show the subject header. Your forum reader might show it, and I appreciate you sharing it with the rest of us. Cheers!
Did not know that. My apologies.
beerhunt, diptych and m_snow like this.
post #4648 of 5144 Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptych View Post
it's 340 on Directv satellite. It's really good too! I just finished setting up about a dozen recordings over the next few days.

Jack
post #4649 of 5144 Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
My current DTVN service "GO BIG" is ok. I wouldn't replace it atm. Now that I get my locals: ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, NBC it makes it more usable.

IE: My locals are:
(...)

So they could show up as: CBS, CBS2, CBS3, ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC4

Or just add them as regular stations by names.

Either way those are the "only other channels" I'd like added to my lineup. But if WYBN, PBS, My4 channels could be added, that would be great.

Aside from that the other DTVN packages don't work for me as they stand.
An antenna (even an old one) will get you these stations. You may find the PQ of the major channels is superior OTA.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #4650 of 5144 Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post

I think it's highly doubtful that AT&T will negotiate contracts with ALL those locals around the country to also add their diginets. Just use an OTA antenna if you can. (I do think it's possible that we'll see AT&T do the same thing that Sling TV has done and eventually roll out an OTA tuner for purchase that works with their own streaming box, in order to integrate the streaming channels from AT&T with your local OTA channels all in one guide.)

As for having your local PBS station added, I do think that will happen. PBS has been working on plans to get their local partner stations (or, if that's not possible, a national PBS feed) added to services like DTVN, YouTube TV, etc. for about a year now. Hopefully it actually starts happening this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page