DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1698Likes

post #4651 of 4838 Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I think it's highly doubtful that AT&T will negotiate contracts with ALL those locals around the country to also add their diginets. Just use an OTA antenna if you can. (I do think it's possible that we'll see AT&T do the same thing that Sling TV has done and eventually roll out an OTA tuner for purchase that works with their own streaming box, in order to integrate the streaming channels from AT&T with your local OTA channels all in one guide.)

As for having your local PBS station added, I do think that will happen. PBS has been working on plans to get their local partner stations (or, if that's not possible, a national PBS feed) added to services like DTVN, YouTube TV, etc. for about a year now. Hopefully it actually starts happening this year.
The other problems with digi-nets, sub-channels, independent local channels..are streaming rights. When you throw local channels on or even something like ION just because they can broadcast a show, doesn't mean it can streamed. I remember when Sling TV first started there were programs that weren't A&E network originals (I think they were one of the CSI series) that would be blacked out when they ran. Rights are complicated.

PBS locals will come if only that PBS wants to make it happen, the question is how much PBS will we get. Many PBS stations run a main channel, and sub-channels, the sub-channels are usually Create and one aimed at kids. There are people that would like all three and come donations drive time all of those channels have their fans.

OTA is not answer for thousands of people, you can't change the laws of physics, and a new office/residental tower in a city can kill reception in an urban area if you live in one of the other towers . Gentrification are causing cities to build up, I can see it outside my window right now, it's least they are building on the west side (the TV broadcasts come in from the East). As the long as the church down the street still needs parking lots, nothing gets built on the east side and inside antennas work here.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4838 Old 05-25-2019, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
@crabboy & NashGuy
I have an antenna that gets these channels. This is what I would like to be added to improve DTVN. IMO these channels would add value to DTVN lineup. There are a lot of channels that are unwatched,
that I'd switch out for these if I could.
@NashGuy
That'll be great if there was a national PBS, Create, World, PBS kids national stream. For every crappy reality shows on cable, PBS has 10+ fun/educational/interesting shows.

I see Comet & Decades already being offered through at least 1 or 2 streaming services.

Just having these six OTA channels added would be a great addition to streaming tv.

Decades
GetTV
MeTV
Heroes & Icons
LAFF
AntennaTV

But if not as separate channels, they could be merged channels.

GetTV, MeTV, Heroes & Icons could become: "Get Me Heroes TV"

Decades, LAFF, AntennaTV could become: "Decades of Antenna Laffs"
NashGuy likes this.
post #4653 of 4838 Old 05-25-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I have an antenna that gets these channels. This is what I would like to be added to improve DTVN. IMO these channels would add value to DTVN lineup. There are a lot of channels that are unwatched,
Once AT&T publicly rolls out their set-top box for DTVN that's currently in beta testing, maybe they'll also offer a network-connected OTA tuner, like Sling TV has done with their AirTV.

It would work this way: connect your OTA antenna into the tuner box, then connect the tuner box to your home network (either through wifi or ethernet). Then the AT&T set-top boxes at each TV would integrate your local OTA channels into the same channel guide as the live streaming channels that you subscribe to from DTVN. If you want to record your local channels, maybe you could connect a USB hard drive to the tuner box -- that's the way Sling TV's AirTV box works with the Sling TV app.

If such a scenario happens, it's easy to imagine DTVN offer a super-cheap bundle without local broadcast networks (so no ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, The CW, etc.) since viewers could easily supply those channels themselves for free with an OTA antenna. I think that's the ultimate plan for the WatchTV bundle. It (or a very similar channel line-up) will be offered to DTVN subscribers with cloud DVR service for maybe $20/mo as the new entry-level bundle underneath Plus and Max. (Maybe the new line-up is named Skinny, Plus and Max.) Buy AT&T's OTA tuner box and a USB hard drive and then you've got free live and recorded content from the major networks combined with over 35 streaming cable channels that can record to cloud DVR. All of that for $20/mo would be a pretty compelling offer for folks who don't need cable sports channels.

Quote:
For every crappy reality shows on cable, PBS has 10+ fun/educational/interesting shows.
I agree! PBS is great!

Quote:
I see Comet & Decades already being offered through at least 1 or 2 streaming services.
Yeah, it appears that the companies who own some of the diginets have the rights to stream them over the internet. (I think it's actually a matter of whether they have streaming rights for all of the individual shows they carry.) Comet, for instance, is available to live stream for free through its own individual app and website, as well as part of the YouTube TV and (I think) PS Vue streaming services. COZI TV is on Hulu with Live TV. You can live-stream the Charge, Buzzr, Stadium and Comet diginets for free through the Stirr app.

Eventually, I expect that nearly all of the diginets will end up being available to stream for free online, because there are WAY more TVs and other viewing devices that are connected to the internet than connected to OTA antennas. Folks might pay a little bit to subscribe to the most popular diginets such as Me-TV but otherwise the only way these channels can make money is through selling ads. And the more eyeballs they can reach, the more ad revenue they can get.

Last edited by NashGuy; 05-25-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 4838 Old 05-25-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
@crabboy & NashGuy
Since you have an antenna, have you considered one (or both) of the Sling TV packages in addition to an Air TV? You could get all of the good sub-channels (I like THIS, Movies and Bounce the best) accessed thru Sling. (Not to mention the best "cable" channels)

I have a DVR+. I don't mind going back & forth between that & Sling via my Roku. If I was starting out now I might go the Air TV route.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #4655 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

@ NashGuy - The "WatchTV bundle" looks nice, but it still lacks about 10 channels to be a viable option. They try to get the right lineup, but always fall short.
As for a skinning non-sports bundle, would you consider this skinny? ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSN, MSG, YES
@crabboy - The main problem is the signals for OTA in my area keep changing. Throughout the day the my signal gets interference. My apartment building has older wiring, metal siding, etc.
The AirTV box wouldn't help that issue. There are days when the weather can mess with the OTA signals on both ends.
post #4656 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@ NashGuy - The "WatchTV bundle" looks nice, but it still lacks about 10 channels to be a viable option. They try to get the right lineup, but always fall short.
As for a skinning non-sports bundle, would you consider this skinny? ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSN, MSG, YES
Hmm, not sure what you were looking at but WatchTV doesn't include any of those channels. Here's the actual list of what it does include for $15 (in HD, only one screen at a time, no cloud DVR, but VOD with ads included):

A&E
AMC
Animal Planet
Audience
BBC America
BBC World News
BET
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
CNN
Comedy Central
Discovery Channel
Food Network
FYI
Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
HGTV
History Channel
HLN
IFC
Investigation Discovery
Lifetime
Lifetime Movies
MotorTrend
MTV
MTV2
Nickelodeon
Nicktoons
OWN
Sundance TV
TBS
TCM
TeenNick
TLC
TNT
truTV
TV Land
VH1
Viceland
WE tv
post #4657 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm, not sure what you were looking at but WatchTV doesn't include any of those channels. Here's the actual list of what it does include for $15 (in HD, only one screen at a time, no cloud DVR, but VOD with ads included)
I know was referring to what "sports channels" on DTVN I would find usable. Some people need to have: NBA, NHL, MLB, ESPN1-3, etc...

The WatchTV lacks: NAT GEO, NAT GEO Wild. DIY, FYI
post #4658 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
DTVN just went down for me, anyone else?

Sony 65A1E
post #4659 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6281 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
DTVN just went down for me, anyone else?

Still going fine for me, watching a DVR recording right now and was watching The Last Watch right before.
post #4660 of 4838 Old 05-26-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Still going fine for me, watching a DVR recording right now and was watching The Last Watch right before.
It's back up for me.

Sony 65A1E
post #4661 of 4838 Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 330
It would be nice for us DTV satillite customers if they would make the C71 compatible with the RS17 server that we use today. I have a ton of concerts recorded that I frequently watch but there is no easy way to copy these recordings to an off-line disk drive or a cloud storage. I would pay to keep my RS17 as either a C71 recording device or an off-line player.

Jack
post #4662 of 4838 Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
It would be nice for us DTV satillite customers if they would make the C71 compatible with the RS17 server that we use today. I have a ton of concerts recorded that I frequently watch but there is no easy way to copy these recordings to an off-line disk drive or a cloud storage. I would pay to keep my RS17 as either a C71 recording device or an off-line player.
Interesting you should bring that up because when AT&T filed the original version of the C71 user manual with the FCC, it mentioned that it might be used in the future in conjunction with something called the RS27. If you look at DirecTV's naming convention -- with model numbers that tend to increase by 10 with each successive generation -- it seems pretty clear that the C71 is the successor to the current DirecTV C61 Genie Mini, which is a thin-client TV box that fetches live and recorded satellite TV from the HS17 satellite home server. And it would certainly appear that the HS27 would be an as-yet-unreleased next-gen version of the HS17.

So I've thought for a long time now that we would see AT&T use the C71 box with two different services: a streaming service (which will obviously happen) and the DTV satellite service.

Who knows, maybe instead of coming out with an HS27, they'll just make the C71 work with the existing HS17. Or maybe it will work with both. DTV's current satellite boxes don't have a very good selection of streaming apps. I can imagine that there are current users of the HS17 + C61 who might like to trade in their C61 for the C71 just to gain access to all its Android TV apps.

AT&T's CEO stated over a year ago that the DTV Now UI design (which is what the C71 uses) would eventually work its way across all of AT&T's TV services, including satellite. If HS27 + C71 (and/or HS17 + C71) becomes the standard equipment configuration for new DTV satellite customers, that's how his words could come true.
post #4663 of 4838 Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting you should bring that up because when AT&T filed the original version of the C71 user manual with the FCC, it mentioned that it might be used in the future in conjunction with something called the RS27. If you look at DirecTV's naming convention -- with model numbers that tend to increase by 10 with each successive generation -- it seems pretty clear that the C71 is the successor to the current DirecTV C61 Genie Mini, which is a thin-client TV box that fetches live and recorded satellite TV from the HS17 satellite home server. And it would certainly appear that the HS27 would be an as-yet-unreleased next-gen version of the HS17.

So I've thought for a long time now that we would see AT&T use the C71 box with two different services: a streaming service (which will obviously happen) and the DTV satellite service.

Who knows, maybe instead of coming out with an HS27, they'll just make the C71 work with the existing HS17. Or maybe it will work with both. DTV's current satellite boxes don't have a very good selection of streaming apps. I can imagine that there are current users of the HS17 + C61 who might like to trade in their C61 for the C71 just to gain access to all its Android TV apps.

AT&T's CEO stated over a year ago that the DTV Now UI design (which is what the C71 uses) would eventually work its way across all of AT&T's TV services, including satellite. If HS27 + C71 (and/or HS17 + C71) becomes the standard equipment configuration for new DTV satellite customers, that's how his words could come true.
Thanks for that info. I'll keep my fingers crossed. BTW, are you familiar with the HS17? I seem to remember that there are ways to copy files from it if you have a version that has a SATA connector. Of course, that gets into the compatibility question of how would you read and display content from a network drive. With a leftover C61 maybe?

Jack
post #4664 of 4838 Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Thanks for that info. I'll keep my fingers crossed. BTW, are you familiar with the HS17? I seem to remember that there are ways to copy files from it if you have a version that has a SATA connector. Of course, that gets into the compatibility question of how would you read and display content from a network drive. With a leftover C61 maybe?
I'm not all that familiar with the specifics of the HS17 but I believe that, in general, you cannot copy a DTV recording from one of their receivers/servers to any other device and actually play it, due to encryption that ties each recording to the specific device on which it was recorded. See here:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutoria...v-dvr-another/
post #4665 of 4838 Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not all that familiar with the specifics of the HS17 but I believe that, in general, you cannot copy a DTV recording from one of their receivers/servers to any other device and actually play it, due to encryption that ties each recording to the specific device on which it was recorded. See here:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutoria...v-dvr-another/
Good article. I'll hold out some hope.
NashGuy likes this.

Jack
post #4666 of 4838 Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Why is it that I still can not activate the Network Apps for TBS and TnT ?

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #4667 of 4838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...v-now-for-now/

I wonder whatever became of AT&T's negotiations with A+E Networks to keep their channels (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc.) on DirecTV and DirecTV Now? They had been warning of a blackout at the end of April but that never happened. My guess is that the two sides quietly struck a new deal but it was never publicly announced. The new deal is why those channels never got yanked from DTV or from the old grandfathered packages on DTV Now.

I think we're going to see some significant improvements to the new Plus and Max packages this summer, including the addition of those channels from A+E, as well as other popular missing networks. I also speculate that we're going to see DTV Now die while a new service, called AT&T TV, is born to replace it but also play a much larger role.

Just for fun, here's my full set of predictions of where this is all going:

• This August, AT&T will unveil a "new" OTT streaming TV service called AT&T TV, which, as the name implies, will be their main flagship multichannel pay TV service. It will be very similar to the existing DirecTV Now service and will replace it. (This might happen any time between roughly July 1 and Sept 30, but I'm going to say August is the mostly likely time when AT&T TV debuts.)
  • AT&T TV will offer three main channel packages: Starter, Plus and Max. Plus and Max are currently already available through DirecTV Now, although those packages will contain some additional channels than they do now by the time they're offered through AT&T TV.
  • Starter will be an entirely new package priced at $30 and contain pretty much the same 35+ channels now available on AT&T WatchTV, but it will also include HBO. Note that this package does not include any local broadcast networks (e.g. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) or all-sports channels (e.g. ESPN, FS1, NBCSN, etc.).
  • Plus and Max are more mainstream cable channel packages. Both include locals and HBO, while Max also includes Cinemax and some additional sports and entertainment channels, including RSNs. They will sell for their current regular prices of $50 and $70 (with no additional fees for broadcast or RSN channels). About a month ago, DirecTV Now began offering a $20 discount off of each for the first three months. In the past several days, they changed that to $15 off for the first two months. By August, those deals will have lapsed. Plus and Max will still both include HBO (and Max will still include Cinemax too). They'll have all the same channels they currently do, but by that time, AT&T will also have added popular channels from A+E Networks (A&E, History, Lifetime), Discovery Networks (HGTV, Discovery, Food, Travel, ID), and AMC Networks (AMC, IFC, BBCAmerica) to Plus and Max. If PBS stations aren't included at the launch of AT&T TV, they'll be added at some point in the coming year as they generally become available on streaming cable TV services (vMVPDs).
  • All plans (with the possible exception of Starter) will come with 20 hours of cloud DVR storage, with recordings auto-deleting after 30 days. As currently on DirecTV Now, you'll be able to FF in all recordings from any channel, including past ads. (Ad-free premium channels still won't be recordable though, but that doesn't matter much since all their content is available on-demand.)
  • You can upgrade to 100 (or maybe 120) total hours of cloud DVR storage for an extra $10/mo. The auto-delete period will either be lengthened or entirely dropped for the upgraded cloud DVR.
  • Niche cable channels that aren't included in Starter, Plus and Max will be offered in the form of add-on packs that can be added to one of those base packages. Showtime, Starz, Cinemax and Epix will be offered as a la carte premium add-ons.
  • Like now with DirecTV Now, each subscription will allow 2 simultaneous steams on any combination of devices, whether in or out of home. Each additional simultaneous stream will cost an extra $5/mo. Streams can be accessed on AT&T's own box (see below) or through their app on other devices; how the stream is accessed makes no difference in terms of the simultaneous stream limit.
  • AT&T's optional 4K HDR Android TV-powered set-top-box and remote (code-named the "C71 Osprey" or "DirecTV Now Beta Box") will be sold directly to customers (likely for $60-80 each). The rumor is that AT&T wants to get out of the STB rental business. I definitely expect AT&T will give a lot of them away as promotional items to new subscribers (just as in the past they offered the $180 Apple TV 4K box for free with a 3- or 4-month prepayment). Perhaps AT&T TV subscribers who prepay for 2 months will get 1 box for free, or prepay for 4 months and get 2 boxes for free. AT&T Internet/Fiber subscribers who bundle in AT&T TV may get 2 free boxes without the need to prepay anything.
  • Rather than having long-term commitments and first-year reduced pricing (as has been the norm with DirecTV and possibly Uverse TV), AT&T TV will be sold at a "no-games-playing" everyday standard price with no up-front commitment. The free boxes will be the up-front bonus for certain customers rather than Visa gift cards. (I still expect folks getting AT&T Internet/Fiber, which does require a 1-year commitment, plus AT&T TV to score up-front Visa gift cards, though.)
  • Unless you're getting AT&T Internet/Fiber installed at the same time, the TV box will be a simple self-install option that is shipped to you by UPS/FedEx. (WAY cheaper for AT&T than a satellite TV installation!) For those who can't even connect a box to their TV and wifi, AT&T will send one of their in-home sales consultants to help you out (and also "helpfully" try to sell you other AT&T services while they're there).
  • Netflix and YouTube will come pre-loaded on the box, along with the Google Play app store, which by that time should offer the Amazon Prime Video app for Android TV. You can definitely expect the upcoming on-demand streaming service from AT&T's WarnerMedia (called HBO Max or HBO+) to be integrated into the box too. Like regular HBO, a subscription to HBO Max will be non-optionally included in Starter, Plus and Max for no additional cost. AT&T sees HBO Max as their Netflix competitor and they won't sell ANY cable TV package, whether via streaming or via satellite, without forcing you to take HBO Max too.
  • Although it will be available to anyone with home broadband from any provider (e.g. Comcast, Verizon, Charter, etc.), bundling AT&T TV service with AT&T Internet/Fiber will knock $10 off the combined price and also score you unlimited data from them, i.e. no data cap. (And running the service over AT&T's own network could only make it more reliable, one would think.)
  • The AT&T Watch TV service will die. Instead of getting a free subscription to Watch TV plus HBO or another premium service as a built-in perk of the "AT&T Wireless & More Premium" cellular plan, they'll give those customers a free subscription to the AT&T TV Starter package (or $30 off the price of Plus or Max). And instead of giving Watch TV for free to their "AT&T Wireless & More" customers, they'll give them a $15 credit toward any AT&T TV package.
  • Uverse TV -- which is only available to homes wired for AT&T Internet/Fiber -- will cease to be sold to new customers. Existing customers will have a long while (couple years) to transition over to the new service before AT&T pulls the plug on Uverse TV. In the meantime, Uverse TV will see no significant changes or improvements.
  • When AT&T TV debuts, DirecTV Now will stop allowing new customer sign-ups. AT&T TV will use an app that looks and functions nearly identically but will be a separate app. Existing DirecTV Now customers will be allowed to stay on their current plans at their current prices but will be contacted by email and encouraged to switch to AT&T TV, and may be automatically switched to that service when DirecTV Now shuts down by the end of 2019. This shutdown of the DirecTV Now brand is how AT&T will dump those subscribers who signed up for the Go Big package at a promotional "discounted for life" rate when the service launched back in late 2016.
post #4668 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Am I the only one having trouble with audio from two channels playing at once, I can't find anything about it (maybe I'm overlooking it. Even when you change channels you have the one you are now tuned to and whatever one is 'stuck' on
post #4669 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas View Post
Am I the only one having trouble with audio from two channels playing at once, I can't find anything about it (maybe I'm overlooking it. Even when you change channels you have the one you are now tuned to and whatever one is 'stuck' on
What device are you noticing this on ? Is it all channels ?

post #4670 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
What device are you noticing this on ? Is it all channels ?
ATV, it isnt all the time, ,but when it happens you have to turn everything off, wait for some time, then when you restart it is normally ok. its like one channel gets stuck with audio on, so it is on top ofwhatever you are trying to watch

Nothing else effected just DTVN
post #4671 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Hey guys I thought DTV Now made a deal to bring back the NFL Network? Mine is gone from my menu completely now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #4672 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey guys I thought DTV Now made a deal to bring back the NFL Network? Mine is gone from my menu completely now.

It was a false alarm apparently

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/dire...l-network.html
post #4673 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Ah ok thanks, at least I know why now though. Thanks again.

post #4674 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas View Post
ATV, it isnt all the time, ,but when it happens you have to turn everything off, wait for some time, then when you restart it is normally ok. its like one channel gets stuck with audio on, so it is on top ofwhatever you are trying to watch

Nothing else effected just DTVN
Try unplugging/replugging power power from ATV to force a reboot. Sometimes that will work better than power cycling.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #4675 of 4838 Old 06-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
try unplugging/replugging power power from atv to force a reboot. Sometimes that will work better than power cycling.
thanks!
post #4676 of 4838 Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone on here using DTV Now with AT&T's beta box (the Osprey C71)? Does it let you pause and rewind live TV yet?

Also, how reliable is the service in general? Seems like I'm still seeing quite a few complaints online about DTV Now's reliability in general (though not necessarily on the beta box). After they began beta testing this current streaming platform all the way back in 2017, you'd think they'd have it perfected by now if that's possible. Makes me wonder if DTV Now might ever be ready for primetime as a replacement for Uverse TV and DTV satellite.
post #4677 of 4838 Old 06-02-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Anyone on here using DTV Now with AT&T's beta box (the Osprey C71)? Does it let you pause and rewind live TV yet?

Also, how reliable is the service in general? Seems like I'm still seeing quite a few complaints online about DTV Now's reliability in general (though not necessarily on the beta box). After they began beta testing this current streaming platform all the way back in 2017, you'd think they'd have it perfected by now if that's possible. Makes me wonder if DTV Now might ever be ready for primetime as a replacement for Uverse TV and DTV satellite.
Sort of. Early on, it did. Now you can only pause/resume, no rewind. I tried a couple of minutes. Not sure what the max time is.

Service is still as unreliable as it ever was. I don't think it will ever be ready for prime time. But that's never stopped AT&T before. They'll just roll it out anyway and leave customers no choice but to live with it.

If I weren't grandfathered, there's no way I would pay good money for this steaming pile of you know what. I don't see how anyone else in his/her right mind would either.
NashGuy and PlanetAVS like this.
post #4678 of 4838 Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the Osprey on the second beta, the only pause of rewind and live tv I've seen is with Sling TV and not on all channels. DTVN does allow a pause on real time but only for a short time and you can't do anything else with it. My DTVN has been more reliable then some people's, all Live Streaming services have bugs, some of it has to do the devices and apps not playing nice with the main servers but I don't see it as much on Sling or DTVN nearly as much as when they began.

If you value reliability above all, satellites, cable, and OTA TV still win as they don't depend on the internet ( the internet fails everyone, and every website sooner or later). However if you use a cloud dvr on DirectTV Now you'll find that the show recorded even if you coudn't get access to it to later. If you want trick play (treat live tv like recordings) for all channels, you'll need to use a hardware dvr and a non streaming source, for now.

My experience with the Osprey has been good, most of the issues I had with ATV app don't come up on the Osprey. For live and recording programs I can recommend it if you can live with the 20 hr DVR function. There is always VOD of course but if you find yourself away from home when your team(s) are playing you'll still need a dvr.

Always remember 5 years ago, none of the live streaming services even existed, a year from now a lot can/will change.
NashGuy likes this.

post #4679 of 4838 Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sort of. Early on, it did. Now you can only pause/resume, no rewind. I tried a couple of minutes. Not sure what the max time is.
Hmm. Weird that you could rewind live TV before but not now. My guess is that they were trying to do all of that on the server. I wonder if they can't use a portion of the box's 16 GB of storage to cache the live TV stream. That's what Comcast's streaming TV (IPTV) boxes do; they have an SD card inserted to allow you to rewind live TV up to 25 minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Service is still as unreliable as it ever was. I don't think it will ever be ready for prime time. But that's never stopped AT&T before. They'll just roll it out anyway and leave customers no choice but to live with it.
Wow. I understand that there are challenges when it comes to distributing live TV over the internet but I can't understand why it's taking AT&T so long to become *decent* at it when a little company like Philo can do it so well. They've had cloud DVR from the start and are known for being very reliable. Same is true with YouTube TV, although Google obviously has some advantages over AT&T when it comes to experience in streaming video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If you value reliability above all, satellites, cable, and OTA TV still win as they don't depend on the internet ( the internet fails everyone, and every website sooner or later). However if you use a cloud dvr on DirectTV Now you'll find that the show recorded even if you coudn't get access to it to later. If you want trick play (treat live tv like recordings) for all channels, you'll need to use a hardware dvr and a non streaming source, for now.

My experience with the Osprey has been good, most of the issues I had with ATV app don't come up on the Osprey. For live and recording programs I can recommend it if you can live with the 20 hr DVR function. There is always VOD of course but if you find yourself away from home when your team(s) are playing you'll still need a dvr.
AT&T Fiber just recently became an option at my parents' home and they're ready to get away from Dish satellite TV. So I've had my eye on what's developing with DTV Now because -- per repeated statements from AT&T's leaders -- DTV Now and the Osprey box are going to form the basis for AT&T's upcoming flagship TV service, which I'm sure they'll bundle with AT&T Fiber.

While that service may (or may not) differ from the current DTV Now in terms of channel packages, pricing, amount of cloud DVR storage, etc., it's going to use the exact same streaming delivery system, software and hardware (Osprey box) that you're using now. I'm glad to hear that you think DTV Now has gotten more reliable and that the cloud DVR generally works well but I still don't know if it's going to be reliable enough for my elderly parents to use. But if AT&T can't make the service work well on their own fiber network, delivered through their own internet gateways to their own set-top boxes, then they simply can't make it reliable at all.

They're also used to setting up things to record, such as sporting events, and then be able to start watching before the recording finishes, with the ability to FF and rewind. I'm guessing that DTV Now's cloud DVR doesn't allow that but instead requires you to wait until the recording is done before you can start playback?
post #4680 of 4838 Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow. I understand that there are challenges when it comes to distributing live TV over the internet but I can't understand why it's taking AT&T so long to become *decent* at it when a little company like Philo can do it so well.

They're also used to setting up things to record, such as sporting events, and then be able to start watching before the recording finishes, with the ability to FF and rewind. I'm guessing that DTV Now's cloud DVR doesn't allow that but instead requires you to wait until the recording is done before you can start playback?
You can start watching something you're recording before it finishes, with FF and RW.

And I totally agree about AT&T vs other streaming services, kind of a joke that they *still* call the cloud DVR "beta" with a 20 hr limit. But as long as I have my grandfathered package with no imminent price increase I'll stick with it. PQ is outstanding imo and all the channels I want are in one place.
tenthplanet, NashGuy and beerhunt like this.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page