DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1698Likes

post #4711 of 4837 Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Definitely more complicated to support multiple platforms. But the Osprey version of the app has far more bugs than their other versions at this point. In the past 3 years (nearly), it's become quite clear that AT&T has very few and very incompetent developers. All of their competition has managed to build very solid apps on all major platforms in far less time. Many DTVN bugs have been around since the very beginning.
Hence my use of the word "theoretically" in my post! Sad that a company as large as AT&T (who has lots of engineers, coders, etc. on staff) apparently hasn't devoted the resources necessary to perfect the DTVN app -- especially for Android, given that that's the OS on which the Osprey box, all Fire TV devices, and about half of US smartphones rely. The current DTVN app (version 2) was publicly released a year ago this month (June 2018), and was in beta testing before that starting, I think, in fall 2017. That's 18 months or more of broad-based testing and user feedback. Plenty of time to get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4837 Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
More changes for DirecTV NOW on the horizon. Going in a totally different direction than predicted. Sorry, NashGuy.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...aming-service/

The gist is Warner Media (also already owned by AT&T) is releasing a new slim, low priced streaming service. DTVN will "merge" with that, whatever that means. Warner Media owns HBO, CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, some sports networks and Gameshow Network. Bottom line, probably even less content that we have now and more bugs since it's a "new" service.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #4713 of 4837 Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
More changes for DirecTV NOW on the horizon. Going in a totally different direction than predicted. Sorry, NashGuy.

The gist is Warner Media (also already owned by AT&T) is releasing a new slim, low priced streaming service. DTVN will "merge" with that, whatever that means. Warner Media owns HBO, CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, some sports networks and Gameshow Network. Bottom line, probably even less content that we have now and more bugs since it's a "new" service.
I love the first line in the article: For some time now there have been rumors that AT&T was no longer interested in DIRECTV NOW. This has seemed kind of obvious for a long time to DTVN subs.
tngiloy likes this.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 4837 Old 06-08-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I love the first line in the article: For some time now there have been rumors that AT&T was no longer interested in DIRECTV NOW. This has seemed kind of obvious for a long time to DTVN subs.
Yeah this service in trouble, grandfathered plan or not. I expect the price to go up substantiality or shut down, rolled into something else. The end is probably not all that far off. YTTV or Hulu TV here I come when that happens.
post #4715 of 4837 Old 06-08-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that article this morning too. And then (as is always necessary), I found the actual news story on which the (always poorly written) Cord Cutters News article was based.

Note that what Stankey said in the original CNBC article is that he sees their live cable TV service (currently called DTVN) to "eventually" be merged into the new SVOD app (which I refer to as "HBO Max," based on leaked info, although the final name is still TBD). While the set of predictions that I recently laid out could absolutely still prove false, this new bit of information from Stankey doesn't at all contradict them.

In fact, just yesterday I was thinking about how Hulu -- which is Disney's SVOD (i.e. their competitor to AT&T's forthcoming HBO Max) -- gives users the option to also subscribe to live cable TV service, all integrated into the same app with the base-level Hulu on-demand content. But you can't subscribe to JUST the live cable service by itself -- it automatically includes Hulu's base-level on-demand content.

Now, as you may recall, I've already predicted how the new cable channel bundles sold through DTVN -- Plus and Max and maybe a forthcoming $30 base-level "Starter" or "Select" bundle -- will all automatically include access to HBO Max. Because HBO Max represents virtually ALL of the content that AT&T/WarnerMedia owns and it's their no. 1 priority to make sure as many folks as possible pay for it. (In fact, Stankey said in the CNBC interview that the goal is reach 70 million US subs -- that's maybe 5 million more than Netflix currently has -- although they'll obviously be building from their current HBO subscriber count.)

So it's only natural that AT&T would offer users the option -- just as Hulu does -- of subscribing to their live cable TV package(s) right inside their HBO Max SVOD app and having it all integrated into the same UI. But, as Stankey said, they'll "eventually" do that. The difference with AT&T is that they will ALSO offer the live cable streaming service in its own separately branded app, where the marketing emphasis (and the UI/grid guide) will focus on live cable TV, and that will happen starting this summer. In fact, AT&T's John Donovan confirmed this week that their new "thin-client" OTT/IPTV service is set to launch in 3Q, just as I predicted. This is going to be a relaunch of DTVN (expanded with additional channels/options) with a focus on the (optional) Osprey box that's custom designed for it. And I still predict it'll be rebranded from DTVN to "AT&T TV".

So, to recap: the AT&T TV app (on third party devices and baked into their own Osprey box) will debut soon. Like with DTVN currently, it'll be marketed as a nationwide live "cable TV" service that offers cloud DVR plus a bunch of VOD. When you subscribe to service in the AT&T TV app, you will automatically receive HBO Max as part of your base package (starting whenever HBO Max actually launches this fall), with all of the HBO Max content showing up ad-free in the VOD section of the AT&T TV app. (You may also be able to use the separate HBO Max app too.)

Later this year, the HBO Max app will debut and it will initially be purely an on-demand service, like Hulu when it started out, but with more content. Maybe a year later, HBO Max subscribers will be given the option to subscribing to the same cable channel packages offered by AT&T TV: Starter, Plus and Max. The incremental upgrade cost to add those packages will result in the same overall price as you'd pay for them inside the AT&T TV app because, remember, they already include the HBO Max content there. So they'll just have two apps with different branding and a different market focus that really end up offering the same stuff at the same prices. (If this sounds a bit like HBO Go vs. HBO Now deja vu, fair enough.)

Last edited by NashGuy; 06-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #4716 of 4837 Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Did anyone else experience low resolution from the ABC feed of the NBA game last night, via DTVN? Had to switch to OTA to make it watchable. I'm thinking the servers were probably overloaded.
post #4717 of 4837 Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6281 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Did anyone else experience low resolution from the ABC feed of the NBA game last night, via DTVN? Had to switch to OTA to make it watchable. I'm thinking the servers were probably overloaded.

It looked really good for me via ATV4K.
PlanetAVS and Damien Inferno like this.
post #4718 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok have fun with this. The writing is on the wall. These leaks are on purpose from AT&T. They are telegraphing what is going to happen to this service. Make contingent plans. I'm thinking Hulu or YTTV for me.
post #4719 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I used the DTVN app for iPad today for the first time while waiting for my car inspection, it worked really well. 15 sec skips were instant, scrub bar was easy to use and no lag. Wish the app for the ATV worked as well as that.

Sony 65A1E
post #4720 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used the DTVN app for iPad today for the first time while waiting for my car inspection, it worked really well. 15 sec skips were instant, scrub bar was easy to use and no lag. Wish the app for the ATV worked as well as that.
That's a very good sign. tvOS and iOS have the same underlying code base and, as I understand it, the vast majority of code in an app developed for one of those platforms is re-used in the other. It's really just about tweaks to the UI layout and control inputs (touch vs. remote).
post #4721 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #4722 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
A lot of unknowns there, may not be all bad. If it is bad then it's probably YTTV+Philo for me. I don't relish having to use 2 apps to get all the channels I want though.
sparky7 likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4723 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
I'm going only believe what ATT says in the future, too much what I'm reading otherwise is clickbait, anti ATT trolls throwing poop in comment sections, outright lies... At the end of the day it's TV, only TV.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #4724 of 4837 Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of unknowns there, may not be all bad. If it is bad then it's probably YTTV+Philo for me. I don't relish having to use 2 apps to get all the channels I want though.
This is the same story that was brought up on this thread a few days ago and which I addressed in post #4715 above.

Yes, DTVN is going away to be replaced by something similar, but with expanded options and features (and hopefully fewer bugs). Whether or not you'll prefer it to the grandfathered channel package you may have now, you'll have to wait and see. But your package will be going away at some point in the foreseeable future.

YouTube TV is $50 and Philo is $20, so $70 combined, but you have to use two separate apps. You'll have lots of sports channels, including RSNs, but no HBO, Cinemax or other content in the upcoming WarnerMedia service. You'll have a big generous DVR (but no FF through ads on CBS-owned networks).

My guess is that you would either pay $60 or $80 for AT&T TV: either $50 for Plus or $70 for Max, plus another $10 for the expanded 120 hour cloud DVR. But if you have AT&T Internet or AT&T Wireless, that will knock the total price down some. You'll get RSNs with Max but not with Plus. You'll get content from HBO, Cinemax and everything else in the WarnerMedia service with either but fewer basic cable channels in total than you'd have with YTTV+Philo. And with AT&T TV, you won't have to worry about the streaming data counting against you on AT&T Internet and AT&T Wireless, in case you use either.

It's nice that consumers have options. They'll all appeal to slightly different tastes but these services will have to be priced competitively with each other. I think YTTV is going to carve out a niche for those who mainly just want locals, sports and news, with a sprinkling of other channels, which is a good place to be for a sorta-skinny bundle. But I still don't think Google is making a profit on that package at $50 with all the sports channels in it. Wouldn't surprise me to see it go to $55 next year.
post #4725 of 4837 Old 06-15-2019, 06:39 AM

I thought YTTV just added a bunch of channels so it overlaps Philo a lot now. Bottom line, you may not have to get both anymore.
post #4726 of 4837 Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought YTTV just added a bunch of channels so it overlaps Philo a lot now. Bottom line, you may not have to get both anymore.
YTTV added the most popular networks from Discovery (including Discovery, HGTV, Food, ID, TLC, Animal Planet, Motor Trend, and Travel). They already had the AMC channels. But they still don't have the A+E channels (A&E, History, Lifetime, etc.) or the Viacom channels.

I expect that those channels I listed from Discovery will make their way into the Plus and/or Max packages from AT&T soon, as will most of the AMC and A+E channels. They already have the most popular Viacom channels, which got added just a few weeks after Plus and Max debuted.
post #4727 of 4837 Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A&E is a must have for me so yes would still need Philo.

Sony 65A1E
post #4728 of 4837 Old 06-16-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm things got more complicated for me, just learned that WarnerMedia is developing a TV series based on Dune for its streaming service, that will be must watch TV for me. It's a ways off, projected for the end of 2020, but now I'm really hoping that DTVN will stay in a palatable form so I can just stick with it instead of needing to look for alternatives when DTVN is merged into it.

Sony 65A1E
post #4729 of 4837 Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
"This content has an issue and can't play. Give it another try or select something else to watch."

All my recordings default to this now. I have nothing ....
Hetfieldjames likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #4730 of 4837 Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
"This content has an issue and can't play. Give it another try or select something else to watch."

DVR your talking about? Yes, my wife just told me she can't watch any of her DVR shows. Not working at all.
post #4731 of 4837 Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

That happened to me tonight but I gave up right away and went to a channel app to watch what I had recorded so don't know if it affected everything. Lately also when I go to delete a recording (on ATV4K) it often takes 2 or 3 tries before it works. I think DTVN just doesn't really care anymore about the app.

Sony 65A1E
post #4732 of 4837 Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That happened to me tonight but I gave up right away and went to a channel app to watch what I had recorded so don't know if it affected everything. Lately also when I go to delete a recording (on ATV4K) it often takes 2 or 3 tries before it works. I think DTVN just doesn't really care anymore about the app.
Bingo, I agree.
post #4733 of 4837 Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I have the same problem and result.
post #4734 of 4837 Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anybody using DTVN on Amazon FireTV having issues loading the app, or playing recordings?

I tried rebooting the Amazon FireTV, it helps sometimes. Are there any other ways to fix this?

DTVN seems to be working ok on Roku & Chrome. But I prefer AmFTV over Roku. Any suggestions?
post #4735 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Anybody using DTVN on Amazon FireTV having issues loading the app, or playing recordings?
Yes, everybody is. DTVN broke something on their end. DTVN forums have hundreds of posts on the subject, no resolution yet.

If you're talking about live tv taking forever to load, then you have to go to Settings - Applications - DirecTV NOW - Clear Data, Uninstall then re-install the app. I had to do this on 8 Fire TVs the other day. Huge PITA to work around their terrible software.
post #4736 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, everybody is. DTVN broke something on their end. DTVN forums have hundreds of posts on the subject, no resolution yet.

If you're talking about live tv taking forever to load, then you have to go to Settings - Applications - DirecTV NOW - Clear Data, Uninstall then re-install the app. I had to do this on 8 Fire TVs the other day. Huge PITA to work around their terrible software.
I have checked in a few days. DVR is still down? They really don't care about this service at all. I may move on soon. I just hate that the other services don't provide DD 5.1 sound for live TV. I mean dude it's 2019 and crap expensive cable has had DD 5.1 for 20 plus years.
post #4737 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM

DTVN posted a workaround for the DVR issue on twitter. Here's a re-post from the DTVN forum:
Quote:
via twitter I got someone to respond to me personally. They told me to
delete all previous recordings (which I did) and the things that recorded
now able are to be viewed. So it is fixed for me. ... you were right
that those recordings weren't recoverable.
So looks like you have to lose all your old recordings to get new ones working again. Brilliant.
post #4738 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DTVN posted a workaround for the DVR issue on twitter. Here's a re-post from the DTVN forum:

So looks like you have to lose all your old recordings to get new ones working again. Brilliant.
What a joke right? They just don't give a crap about the service.
post #4739 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Maybe thats why you can only keep your recordings for a limited time.....
They know they will lose them eventually !

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #4740 of 4837 Old 06-19-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Don't know what they broke, no DVR problems using the osprey beta box. Most channels in 5.1 too. Channels have been a little slower to come up when box is first turned on, but that seems to be across all platforms.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page