DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2069Likes

post #4771 of 5624 Old 06-28-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Anyone using Chrome with DTVN and having no issues? I can get mine to load and use the guide, schedule recordings etc, but can't watch live TV or recordings. Just wondering if this is unique to my PC or is it global.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5624 Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you get DirecTV or U-Verse, has Locast support for local broadcast stations yet been added to it, as was promised last month?

If so, can you record those stations through the DVR or VOD services available for DirecTV or U-Verse?

At the moment, while Locast.org is free, it has no DVR or VOD service, nor can I figure out a way to record it, which makes it nearly useless from my point of view. But if another service offered DVR for it, it might be worth it to me to switch to them from my current provider.

Last edited by MRG1; 06-29-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #4773 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Anyone using Chrome with DTVN and having no issues? I can get mine to load and use the guide, schedule recordings etc, but can't watch live TV or recordings. Just wondering if this is unique to my PC or is it global.
@Egan
Try DTVN in Chrome incognito
Egan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q View Post
@Egan
Try DTVN in Chrome incognito
It worked, thank you!
Uncle Q likes this.
post #4775 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
If you get DirecTV or U-Verse, has Locast support for local broadcast stations yet been added to it, as was promised last month?

If so, can you record those stations through the DVR or VOD services available for DirecTV or U-Verse?

At the moment, while Locast.org is free, it has no DVR or VOD service, nor can I figure out a way to record it, which makes it nearly useless from my point of view. But if another service offered DVR for it, it might be worth it to me to switch to them from my current provider.
All AT&T is doing is putting the Locast app on their cable/satellite boxes. They're not integrating Locast streams into their native channel guide and they're not making Locast streams recordable by their DVRs.

AT&T's game here is to put greater pressure on local broadcast stations who keep asking for more and more money to be carried on AT&T's systems. The big threat that those stations make against AT&T is "if you don't pay us what we're asking, we'll just yank our stations off your system and then your unhappy subscribers will dump you for a different cable system that DOES carry us." AT&T is trying to call their bluff by saying, "Look, we have two ways to give your station to our customers for free if you yank it away from us. First, we'll tell them to launch the Locast app to stream it for free. Second, we'll let them know that they can call us up and we'll send them a free LCC tuner and OTA antenna that will integrate your channel, for free, into the native channel guide and let them record it to DVR just like any cable channel."
MRG1 likes this.
post #4776 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I’ve noticed my dads fire stick doesn’t play DTVN as well as my apple 4K tv

He had plenty of bandwidth, but it acts like it’s not getting enough

I think I read on here before, DTVN plays better on some devices vs others? If that’s correct, any recommendation on another streaming device that’s not Apple TV ? My dad has a form of Parkinson’s and he doesn’t like the Apple remote

Thanks

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #4777 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
All AT&T is doing is putting the Locast app on their cable/satellite boxes. They're not integrating Locast streams into their native channel guide and they're not making Locast streams recordable by their DVRs.
Thanks for the info! Sort of like Sling, my current provider, which only provides access to Fox and NBC channels, and which sends people (cheap) antennas (though for some reason, I've never qualified to receive one), and lists Locast as an alternate way to receive broadcast channels, but you doesn't list Locast accessible channels from the listed schedule, or record them.

I wish someone provided a software DVR that could record from Locast... Oh, well. It's not like their video quality is up to the broadcast standards, at least not in my geographic area.
post #4778 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

I think I read on here before, DTVN plays better on some devices vs others? If that’s correct, any recommendation on another streaming device that’s not Apple TV ? My dad has a form of Parkinson’s and he doesn’t like the Apple remote

Thanks
This remote is very similar to a Fire Stick remote and will control an Apple TV.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for...?skuId=6337295

Unfortunately, Fire Stick is the next best DTVN streamer behind ATV. Roku is significantly worse.

The Android TV beta box (C71 Osprey) is probably equal to ATV, but they're harder to get.
5x10 likes this.
post #4779 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
This remote is very similar to a Fire Stick remote and will control an Apple TV.

Unfortunately, Fire Stick is the next best DTVN streamer behind ATV. Roku is significantly worse.

The Android TV beta box (C71 Osprey) is probably equal to ATV, but they're harder to get.
I have the ATV4K and Roku Streaming Stick+, the Roku is fine for DTVN, it's just slower to load the app but after that I think it works well. 15 sec skip on the Roku is far superior to the ATV. The only weird thing for the Roku imo is sometimes I can't seem to delete a recording after I'm done with it. It will act like it's deleted but then it will show up again on the list. This doesn't happen on the ATV.
5x10 likes this.
post #4780 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked: 4391
Quote:

The Osprey is a work in progress, the ATV is more fluid at this point. Amazon Fire is a forked version of Android and runs pretty much like the Osprey. The won't delete recording on first try pops up on the Osprey sometimes.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #4781 of 5624 Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 63
@ Osprey users - how well does it work?

Can you change DTVN channels by pressing numbers, voice, or both? IE: you want A&E so you press # 1, press audio say A&E, press audio say # 1 A&E
Which is it, and does it work?

Are favorite channels still there? Do they really refine you channel list now?
post #4782 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
When was the last time the DTVN app got updated on his Fire TV Stick? I ask because AT&T just released an update to their Fire TV app a few days ago and users are reporting that it runs better/faster. It's supposed to have various bug fixes.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...n-the-fire-tv/

If that still doesn't fix things for him, maybe he should hold tight for a few more days/weeks until AT&T makes their Android TV Osprey box publicly available. About a month ago, the head of AT&T's TV service division said that their new streaming TV service that comes with the Osprey will launch in the 3rd quarter of 2019, which starts today (July 1). Of course, we don't know if they will sell that device for use with DTV Now. But we do know that they have been beta testing that device with DTV Now. At the very least, there will be a lot more of those boxes on the market, which should cause the price of one on eBay to come down in case your dad wanted to buy one there.
post #4783 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My dads app was updated a few days ago
I showed him that it was the app, had my moms iPad playing the same channel as the fire stick, fire kept buffering while the iPad didn’t

Thanks for the help, I’m just gonna give him my apple and reprogram another controller

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
post #4784 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thanks
There's a way to reduce the sensitivity on the apple remote, may help
5x10 likes this.

LG OLED 65E6P|Marantz AV7703|Marantz M7055|OPPO UHDP 203|Technics SL-D303 TT|PS4 Pro|PS3|Nintendo NES|Atari 2600|Apple TV 4K|Roku Premiere +|Klipsch RF-7 III, RC 64 II|Monster Power HD 2550
Den of Solitude - Marantz 6300 TT | Marantz 125 Tuner | Marantz 3800 Pre Amp | Marantz 250 Amp | Sansui SP-5500X Speakers
post #4785 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welp, Thoroughly confused now
Go over to my dads house and his DTVN is playing fine through the fire stick, said he hasn’t had any issues all day
Bandwidth is exactly the same, 230-ish mb/s

No clue why it works well now
beerhunt likes this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
post #4786 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When was the last time the DTVN app got updated on his Fire TV Stick? I ask because AT&T just released an update to their Fire TV app a few days ago and users are reporting that it runs better/faster. It's supposed to have various bug fixes.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...n-the-fire-tv/

If that still doesn't fix things for him, maybe he should hold tight for a few more days/weeks until AT&T makes their Android TV Osprey box publicly available. About a month ago, the head of AT&T's TV service division said that their new streaming TV service that comes with the Osprey will launch in the 3rd quarter of 2019, which starts today (July 1). Of course, we don't know if they will sell that device for use with DTV Now. But we do know that they have been beta testing that device with DTV Now. At the very least, there will be a lot more of those boxes on the market, which should cause the price of one on eBay to come down in case your dad wanted to buy one there.
The Osprey box is not for sale, if you buy one they could refuse to authorize it !!!! And you'll own a brick. Similar to illegal sales of cable boxes and cable cards. Ebay always approach with caution.

post #4787 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The Osprey box is not for sale, if you buy one they could refuse to authorize it !!!! And you'll own a brick. Similar to illegal sales of cable boxes and cable cards. Ebay always approach with caution.
You're making some big assumptions there. I looked carefully through all the documentation and never saw anywhere AT&T says the box is not for resale. Also, AT&T doesn't even know your login, only your email when you sign up for the box. My buyer had no problems whatsoever. Just buy from a seller who accepts returns, just in case they bricked it before they even shipped it to you.
NashGuy likes this.
post #4788 of 5624 Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Welp, Thoroughly confused now
Go over to my dads house and his DTVN is playing fine through the fire stick, said he hasn’t had any issues all day
Bandwidth is exactly the same, 230-ish mb/s

No clue why it works well now
Lots of possible explanations, I suppose, but it could be that the big recent app update hit his device since the previous time you visited.
post #4789 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're making some big assumptions there. I looked carefully through all the documentation and never saw anywhere AT&T says the box is not for resale. Also, AT&T doesn't even know your login, only your email when you sign up for the box. My buyer had no problems whatsoever. Just buy from a seller who accepts returns, just in case they bricked it before they even shipped it to you.
If you're not in the beta test...that box is not a final release. ATT's call...

post #4790 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
AT&T shipped me a box even-though i only have the "HBO only" plan of DTVNow because I get HBO through my wireless plan. I don't think they are very picky.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.85 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #4791 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
AT&T shipped me a box even-though i only have the "HBO only" plan of DTVNow because I get HBO through my wireless plan. I don't think they are very picky.
I think AT&T is going to try to get absolutely as many of those boxes as possible out in the public's hands once they launch their upcoming new service. It's going to be a central part of the new service's marketing strategy.

The new service's differentiators vs. its competitors (both traditional and streaming cable TV) will be:

* the option to use a dedicated box and remote customized for live channel-based TV, but with access to a huge range of apps too
* an overall channel line-up that will include widespread locals plus national cable channels from ALL of the popular network groups (e.g. Disney, NBCU, CBS, Fox, Turner, Viacom, Discovery, A+E, AMC, Hallmark, RSNs, etc.)
* competitive (but not low-budget) pricing, with a degree of flexibility in terms of going with a cheaper, skinnier bundle and lesser features or paying increasingly more to get all the channels and full features
* inclusion of HBO in every channel package
* a cloud DVR that always lets you FF and rewind as you like, even through ads, and that never replaces your recordings with VOD versions of the same show
* superior picture quality
* bundling benefits when added to AT&T broadband or wireless service
* no long-term commitment
post #4792 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
I think AT&T is going to try to get absolutely as many of those boxes as possible out in the public's hands once they launch their upcoming new service. It's going to be a central part of the new service's marketing strategy.

The new service's differentiators vs. its competitors (both traditional and streaming cable TV) will be:

* the option to use a dedicated box and remote customized for live channel-based TV, but with access to a huge range of apps too
* an overall channel line-up that will include widespread locals plus national cable channels from ALL of the popular network groups (e.g. Disney, NBCU, CBS, Fox, Turner, Viacom, Discovery, A+E, AMC, Hallmark, RSNs, etc.)
* competitive (but not low-budget) pricing, with a degree of flexibility in terms of going with a cheaper, skinnier bundle and lesser features or paying increasingly more to get all the channels and full features
* inclusion of HBO in every channel package
* a cloud DVR that always lets you FF and rewind as you like, even through ads, and that never replaces your recordings with VOD versions of the same show
* superior picture quality
* bundling benefits when added to AT&T broadband or wireless service
* no long-term commitment
A lot of these things would be nice but they seem to be making no progress on some points and going in the wrong direction on others. They keep peeling off discounts, including those for bundled services which is the entire point of some of these acquisitions. If the cost of TV is the same whether I have VZW or AT&T wireless, then I choose YTTV. The remote is nice but after being used to a roku remote for the past 18 months, I don't really miss the full sized anymore.

I am still waiting for native 4K HDR channels to show up and they need to fix the box to stop converting everything to HDR. It looks terrible.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.85 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #4793 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If you're not in the beta test...that box is not a final release. ATT's call...
Probably pretty darn close. 2nd round of beta testing had absolutely zero hardware changes to the box. In fact, the 2nd batch was several months older than the first. If I wanted a beta box badly enough to buy one, I'd have no qualms whatsoever getting a second hand unit.
post #4794 of 5624 Old 07-02-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A lot of these things would be nice but they seem to be making no progress on some points and going in the wrong direction on others. They keep peeling off discounts, including those for bundled services which is the entire point of some of these acquisitions. If the cost of TV is the same whether I have VZW or AT&T wireless, then I choose YTTV. The remote is nice but after being used to a roku remote for the past 18 months, I don't really miss the full sized anymore.

I am still waiting for native 4K HDR channels to show up and they need to fix the box to stop converting everything to HDR. It looks terrible.
Right now, if you subscribe to AT&T Internet or AT&T Fiber (their brands for home broadband service -- AT&T Internet is what used to be called Uverse and is slower; AT&T Fiber is faster fiber-to-the-home) and combine DirecTV satellite or Uverse TV on the same account, it knocks $10 off of the combined price.

I expect that once the upcoming service debuts, they'll stop selling both DTV satellite and Uverse TV to AT&T Internet/Fiber subscribers completely. (If you call up and really insist on it, they'll probably still give you DTV satellite -- without a bundling discount -- but I believe Uverse TV will stop being sold to new customers completely.) Instead, they will aggressively push the new streaming cable TV service -- AT&T TV -- as an add-on to AT&T Internet/Fiber, offering the same $10 discount per month on combined service that they've offered for years now for their current flagship TV services, DTV satellite and Uverse TV. And just as they do now if you subscribe to both AT&T Internet/Fiber plus DirecTV Now, they will continue to waive their broadband data cap if you combine AT&T TV with AT&T Internet/Fiber.

Right now, if you subscribe to AT&T Wireless's top-tier "Unlimited & More Premium" plan, you get a choice of one free premium service (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) plus AT&T Watch TV (a $15 live cable TV skinny bundle with AT&T's own cable channels and others but without locals or sports). If you go with the next step down, "Unlimited & More," you get AT&T Watch TV but no premium service.

I imagine that those plans will be restructured a bit so that on the top-tier plan, you'll get the upcoming HBO Max premium streaming service (a $16 value) as well as a $30 credit toward any AT&T TV package. I believe that the base Starter package in AT&T TV will include HBO Max (including select HBO and Cinemax live linear channels) plus the channels currently in AT&T Watch TV (more or less), and it will be priced at $30/mo. So you'd be able to get that for free, or instead get the Plus package for $20 (rather than $50) or the Max package for $40 (rather than $70). All AT&T TV packages will include HBO Max as soon as that service launches this fall.

And if you get the step-down AT&T Wireless plan (the one that currently comes with just AT&T Watch TV but no premium service as a perk), you'll instead get just HBO Max as your perk.

As far as the problem with the Osprey box automatically force-converting all SDR content into fake HDR when the box is connected to an HDR-capable TV, not sure what will happen there. Hopefully AT&T can engineer a fix for it but it's possible that's an OS system-level thing in Android TV over which AT&T has no control. If so, the ball is in Google's court. I know that there have been similar issues with the Nvidia Shield Android TV streaming box for a long time. (Not exactly the same, but it lacks any sort of system-wide ability to auto-switch between SDR and HDR or between the standard and expanded color spaces associated with SDR and HDR.)
post #4795 of 5624 Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The forced HDR thing is just ridiculous. Mine stays packed up until it's resolved.
PlanetAVS and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #4796 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
The forced HDR thing is just ridiculous. Mine stays packed up until it's resolved.
I haven't used mine one second after about 5 minutes of having it because of the forced HDR. I idea don't get it, it's actually mind boggling.
post #4797 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I haven't used mine one second after about 5 minutes of having it because of the forced HDR. I idea don't get it, it's actually mind boggling.
It must be a much more complex issue than we think. Otherwise it would have been fixed by now. The tech people behind this service are not blind. We all know the problems with HDR and the mixing and matching with various devices. I can easily create the same scenario with my Roku by just checking one box, so to speak. Hopefully, they will fix it in the near future.
NashGuy likes this.

Jack
post #4798 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, saw this photo below today, which confirms that my prediction was right: the new service will be branded as AT&T TV and it'll launch in August. What I didn't predict is that it will only initially launch in 9 pilot markets, with a nationwide rollout in 4Q.

As soon as AT&T TV becomes available in a given spot, AT&T will cease selling Uverse TV there (assuming they already do). AT&T TV will be available over any broadband connection but they will especially try to bundle it with their broadband and Wireless services.

[Note: To help you decode the acronyms in the photo, BB=broadband, CSI=customer self-install, FTI=full technician install. Not sure exactly what's meant by IF and IPTV in this photo, but my hunch is that IF refers to pure OTT unicast streaming and "IPTV" in this instance refers to multicast streaming on AT&T's own broadband network.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT TV Pilot Markets.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	2587536  
Hetfieldjames and m_snow like this.
post #4799 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Well, saw this photo below today, which confirms that my prediction was right: the new service will be branded as AT&T TV and it'll launch in August. What I didn't predict is that it will only initially launch in 9 pilot markets, with a nationwide rollout in 4Q.

As soon as AT&T TV becomes available in a given spot, AT&T will cease selling Uverse TV there (assuming they already do). AT&T TV will be available over any broadband connection but they will especially try to bundle it with their broadband and Wireless services.

[Note: To help you decode the acronyms in the photo, BB=broadband, CSI=customer self-install, FTI=full technician install. Not sure exactly what's meant by IF and IPTV in this photo, but my hunch is that IF refers to pure OTT unicast streaming and "IPTV" in this instance refers to multicast streaming on AT&T's own broadband network.]
Is that about the time they kill of DTV Now and all us grandfathered packages get the boot? I feel it's coming anyway.
post #4800 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Is that about the time they kill of DTV Now and all us grandfathered packages get the boot? I feel it's coming anyway.
I can't imagine them killing the existing service until its replacement is rolled out nationwide. That would just be handing all their current customers over to the competition on a silver platter. That kind of thing usually doesn't go over too well in the board room.

FWIW, "AT&T TV" was the app name on the first Osprey beta box, which we have known since last December. No big surprises there.

I'm glad they're doing a slow roll out to lots of actual customers who will be angry and vocal when this box doesn't perform like their old box. More time to work the bugs out, which their beta testing methodology is incapable of doing.

Regardless, I suspect I'll be long gone by then, probably on Philo or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page