DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2071Likes

post #4801 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Regardless, I suspect I'll be long gone by then, probably on Philo or something like that.
Philo's a good deal but their PQ is noticeably inferior to DTVN. For all my complaints about DTVN I have to say the PQ they deliver for the most part is outstanding, I'll definitely miss it if forced to leave for one reason or another.
MikeKlim and sparky7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Is that about the time they kill of DTV Now and all us grandfathered packages get the boot? I feel it's coming anyway.
Quote:
I can't imagine them killing the existing service until its replacement is rolled out nationwide. That would just be handing all their current customers over to the competition on a silver platter. That kind of thing usually doesn't go over too well in the board room.

FWIW, "AT&T TV" was the app name on the first Osprey beta box, which we have known since last December. No big surprises there.

I'm glad they're doing a slow roll out to lots of actual customers who will be angry and vocal when this box doesn't perform like their old box. More time to work the bugs out, which their beta testing methodology is incapable of doing.

Regardless, I suspect I'll be long gone by then, probably on Philo or something like that.
If I were running things at AT&T, what I would do is freeze all the channel packages and features for DTV Now right now and as soon as AT&T TV launches nationwide (probably in November), I would cease any and all marketing activity around DTV Now, giving AT&T TV (and HBO Max) all the attention. I would stop offering any promo discounts off of the first 2 months of service for new DTV Now subscribers by the end of August.

When AT&T TV launches with the same Plus and Max packages as DTV Now -- except with some additional channels included like A&E, History, Lifetime, AMC and BBC America that will still be missing completely on DTV Now -- that will be a strong incentive for DTV Now subs paying regular prices for those packages to switch over to AT&T TV. Why not? Same $50 and $70 prices but with extra channels. Also, AT&T TV will give them the option to pay a little more to expand their cloud DVR storage, plus give them the whole HBO Max service (which won't ever be bundled in with DTV Now).

Yes, it's possible that AT&T TV will require the sub to take and activate at least one Osprey box on their account but I do not believe they'll have to use it if they don't want to. There will be an AT&T TV app for every device that currently has a DTV Now app and it'll work the same way because it'll be the same app just with a different logo and maybe slightly different color scheme.

I wouldn't shut down DTV Now, or even completely disallow new sign-ups, right in the same week that AT&T TV is introduced because AT&T wants to position AT&T TV as a "premium" "real" "grown-up" TV service, not a budget service aimed at cord-cutters who are willing to put up with compromises. So they shouldn't kill DTV Now right at the same time that AT&T TV is introduced because that makes it look like they're directly replacing one with the other. However, Uverse TV would immediately disallow new sign-ups as soon as AT&T TV is introduced.

At year-end, I would stop allowing new customers to sign up for DTV Now. In the meantime, existing DTV Now subs would receive communication from AT&T TV trying to lure them over with an easy "transfer your account" option. Finally, come end of Jan., existing DTV Now subs would be told that the entire service would shut down at the end of Feb. and their existing DTV Now app will auto-update to be replaced by the new AT&T TV app and their account will switch over to the same Plus or Max package on AT&T TV with the same base pricing. For those on a different DTV Now package (e.g. Entertainment, Choice, Live a Little, Go Big, etc.), including all those with grandfathered promo pricing, they might be given some kind of promo deal on the first couple months of AT&T TV service as an incentive to switch over. If they didn't choose to do so by end of Feb. when DTV Now shuts down, their account would be terminated with no further commitment/involvement.

As for no big surprise about the AT&T TV name, basically no one other than me around the internet had been predicting that. Really. Everyone seemed to think it would carry the DirecTV brand somehow. <shrug>
post #4803 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder when Plus and Max (and the Select/Starter package, if it happens) will become the only options available for new DTV satellite subscribers? Could happen in August, same time as AT&T TV launches in the 9 pilot cities. Or it might not happen on DTV satellite until AT&T TV launches nationwide in 4Q.

Of course, I could be completely off-base in thinking that Plus and Max will form the basis of a new AT&T channel line-up system across all their services. Maybe Plus and Max were temporary experiments that will stick around with DTV Now and die with it eventually. But I don't think I'm wrong. I can't think of any reason why Plus and Max would already be live on the DTV satellite ordering system at ATT.com if they weren't going to become the new default packages there. And if that's the case there, it'll be the case for AT&T TV too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3309 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
As for no big surprise about the AT&T TV name, basically no one other than me around the internet had been predicting that. Really. Everyone seemed to think it would carry the DirecTV brand somehow. <shrug>
You don't have an Osprey box, as far as I know. I discovered and posted actual evidence of the "AT&T TV" service name a long time ago by digging into the file system on the Osprey before you speculated about it. Unless you have some sort of psychic powers I don't know about, I'll continue to trust my own research and evidence more than your speculation or that of others in the press and elsewhere on the internet. You said yourself that some of your predictions (speculation) did not come true. I call that luck, not science.

Bottom line, I wasn't surprised at all about the name "AT&T TV". If others were surprised, they simply had bad/no information or were passing off speculation as fact.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading your posts. You have a lot of great, insightful stuff to say. But to claim you're the only one with any insight or knowledge about this stuff is pretty arrogant.
post #4805 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't have an Osprey box, as far as I know. I discovered and posted actual evidence of the "AT&T TV" service name a long time ago by digging into the file system on the Osprey before you speculated about it. Unless you have some sort of psychic powers I don't know about, I'll continue to trust my own research and evidence more than your speculation or that of others in the press and elsewhere on the internet. You said yourself that some of your predictions (speculation) did not come true. I call that luck, not science.

Bottom line, I wasn't surprised at all about the name "AT&T TV". If others were surprised, they simply had bad/no information or were passing off speculation as fact.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading your posts. You have a lot of great, insightful stuff to say. But to claim you're the only one with any insight or knowledge about this stuff is pretty arrogant.
Where did I say I was the only one with any insight? I simply put 2 + 2 together to get 4. Look at their branding convention:

AT&T Wireless
AT&T Internet
AT&T Fiber

Also the fact that they registered "AT&T TV" as a trademark a year or so, plus some additional trademarks later incorporating AT&T TV.

I wasn't all that impressed with what you posted about seeing the text string "AT&T TV" in the Osprey UI. It was interesting but, at least in the screenshots I saw, it was impossible to tell if "AT&T TV" was being used as an actual brand due to the context of the usage, e.g. AT&T TV User Agreement. Is that a generic use of the word "TV" or part of a brand, "AT&T TV"? Since the word TV is typically capitalized, it was impossible to tell.

And again, if you predicted somewhere that the Osprey box would ultimately be used with a new service branded "AT&T TV," then I guess I missed it. If you have the link handy, lemme know.
post #4806 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I wasn't all that impressed with what you posted about seeing the text string "AT&T TV" in the Osprey UI.
It wasn't anywhere in the UI but in the app files themselves. Not quite as easy for the layperson to work out. Again, actual evidence, not a simple conclusion based on the company and many of its products and services using the name "AT&T".

Quote:
basically no one other than me around the internet had been predicting that
Sounds to me like you ARE saying you're the only one.

My prediction based on actual direct evidence and analysis in a response directly to you 6 months ago, a month after I actually made the discovery:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57401694
post #4807 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Come on boys. Let's not have a hissy fit over this.
tenthplanet, tngiloy and Hallwhite like this.

Jack
post #4808 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Come on boys. Let's not have a hissy fit over this.
You're right. Have a happy 4th. I'm going to go watch some fireworks now.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #4809 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Excellent!
tenthplanet likes this.

Jack
post #4810 of 5624 Old 07-04-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 4428
Quote:
Well, saw this photo below today, which confirms that my prediction was right: the new service will be branded as AT&T TV and it'll launch in August. What I didn't predict is that it will only initially launch in 9 pilot markets, with a nationwide rollout in 4Q.

As soon as AT&T TV becomes available in a given spot, AT&T will cease selling Uverse TV there (assuming they already do). AT&T TV will be available over any broadband connection but they will especially try to bundle it with their broadband and Wireless services.

[Note: To help you decode the acronyms in the photo, BB=broadband, CSI=customer self-install, FTI=full technician install. Not sure exactly what's meant by IF and IPTV in this photo, but my hunch is that IF refers to pure OTT unicast streaming and "IPTV" in this instance refers to multicast streaming on AT&T's own broadband network.]
This was never intended for us to see, blow up the pages and see the confidential on the bottom of every page. Fire the leaker.
PlanetAVS likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #4811 of 5624 Old 07-05-2019, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hoping the 4K channels will be included in the streaming packages and they will be reasonably priced. Especially if we will need to find an alternative to DirecTV Now. We shall soon see from someone in the test markets it appears.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #4812 of 5624 Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 63
my local WTEN ABC is showing this on DTVN

https://www.news10.com/keep-news10-local/
Quote:
Nexstar, the owner of this station has removed it from your lineup despite our request to keep it available to you.

Please know that we are working with Nexstar behind the scenes to bring this station back as quickly as possible. We share your frustration and regret any inconvenience.

Please visit tvpromise.com for more information and alternative viewing options.
I did contact DTVN about this. The rep. I chatted with stated they are working on it.

Hopefully they can get this $$ crap settled.

The only ABC shows I watch are: $100,000 Pyramid, Tell The Truth, GMA, The Doctors, Celebrity Family Feud
Other then those, I watch my local WTEN News/Weather.
__________________________________________________ _____

Anyone else being troubled by this money match?

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 07-06-2019 at 03:34 AM.
post #4813 of 5624 Old 07-06-2019, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post

I did contact DTVN about this. The rep. I chatted with stated they are working on it.

The only ABC shows I watch are: $100,000 Pyramid, Tell The Truth, GMA, The Doctors, Celebrity Family Feud

I know it’s another added subscription, but those are available on Hulu the ad free version would get you most of those without ads (at most before and after show (not during)).
post #4814 of 5624 Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:

Can happen with any provider unfortunately. NBC is out in Austin TX.

OTA an option for you?
post #4815 of 5624 Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Can happen with any provider unfortunately. NBC is out in Austin TX.

OTA an option for you?
Yes OTA is working for my local WTEN/ABC. Losing the dvr functionality hurts. Even though I watch my locals OTA 85-90% of the time. Being able to dvr my locals makes watching my programing
less stressful. I dvr special news stories I don't want to miss.
post #4816 of 5624 Old 07-07-2019, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Yes OTA is working for my local WTEN/ABC. Losing the dvr functionality hurts. Even though I watch my locals OTA 85-90% of the time. Being able to dvr my locals makes watching my programing
less stressful. I dvr special news stories I don't want to miss.
Consider how much you record from OTA stations, then consider an Iview (or any of it's similar devices) box.
DrDon likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton

Last edited by crabboy; 07-07-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Clarity.
post #4817 of 5624 Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2569 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Consider how much you record from OTA stations, then consider an Iview (or any of it's similar devices) box.
I use an HTPC and an attic antenna. It's of zero concern to me whether Nexstar comes to an agreement with DirecTV or not. Or anyone, for that matter.
sparky7 and shoman94 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4818 of 5624 Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Tablo has worked great for years....never filled my Hard Drive up, yet.
sparky7 likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #4819 of 5624 Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got home an now DirecTv only has the Audience Channel and nothing else on my Roku. No Guide data, nothing on Watch Now or My Library or Discover.

Tried delete then installed again. Zero.

Weird !

Looks like others are reporting this and it seems like its an Update:

https://downdetector.com/status/directv-now

Got the Guide back and can change channels, but nothing else.

Last edited by Dmon4u; 07-09-2019 at 04:09 PM.
post #4820 of 5624 Old 07-09-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
Just got home an now DirecTv only has the Audience Channel and nothing else on my Roku. No Guide data, nothing on Watch Now or My Library or Discover.

Tried delete then installed again. Zero.

Weird !

Looks like others are reporting this and it seems like its an Update:

https://downdetector.com/status/directv-now

Got the Guide back and can change channels, but nothing else.
It's working on my Roku Stick +.
post #4821 of 5624 Old 07-09-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For my Premier, it came back one step about every five to ten minute after the Guide.

Weird (again) !

post #4822 of 5624 Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't anywhere in the UI but in the app files themselves. Not quite as easy for the layperson to work out. Again, actual evidence, not a simple conclusion based on the company and many of its products and services using the name "AT&T".

Sounds to me like you ARE saying you're the only one.

My prediction based on actual direct evidence and analysis in a response directly to you 6 months ago, a month after I actually made the discovery:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57401694
Tip of the hat to you. The screenshots I had seen I was apparently misattributing to you. And I didn't recall that the references you had found to "AT&T TV" were in app code rather than screenshots. So nice detective work on that.

And here's a link to one of the countless posts I've made on this topic, way back on Mar. 24, 2018, predicting a forthcoming service named "AT&T TV". (I may have been predicting it earlier than that but this was a post I was able to find without too much effort.) So that was about 16 months ago, or roughly 10 months before you discovered that text string in the app files.

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...2#post-3498938

Relevant quote:
You keep thinking of "OTT" as simply DirecTV Now, as it currently exists. But that's not going to be their only OTT service. AT&T is *actively* planning to transition the bulk of their customer base over from satellite and IPTV to OTT, including the higher-end OTT service that's coming (probably branded as "AT&T TV").

Last edited by NashGuy; 07-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #4823 of 5624 Old 07-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Exclamation AT&T forgot their notice!

Last month (June) DTVN notified me that my 3 months discount for my GO BIG pkg. would end on my billing date July 5th. It didn't happen and stayed @ 65 bux/mnth. I just logged into my account and this coming Aug 5th remains the same 65 bux...I am a happy camper!
post #4824 of 5624 Old 07-14-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
last month (june) dtvn notified me that my 3 months discount for my go big pkg. Would end on my billing date july 5th. It didn't happen and stayed @ 65 bux/mnth. I just logged into my account and this coming aug 5th remains the same 65 bux...i am a happy camper! :d
shhhh!
beerhunt likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #4825 of 5624 Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I recorded The Walking Dead season finale a few months ago but it disappeared for some reason before I watched it. No biggie I figured I can get it On Demand or the AMC app but never got around to it. Noticed recently AMC running TWD marathon and re-recorded the episode. Now about 2 weeks or so later I notice it's gone again from my recordings. And Krypton from last week just disappeared. Anyone else noticing recordings disappearing?
post #4826 of 5624 Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I recorded The Walking Dead season finale a few months ago but it disappeared for some reason before I watched it. No biggie I figured I can get it On Demand or the AMC app but never got around to it. Noticed recently AMC running TWD marathon and re-recorded the episode. Now about 2 weeks or so later I notice it's gone again from my recordings. And Krypton from last week just disappeared. Anyone else noticing recordings disappearing?

They don’t last a long time (usually depends on channel). At least on the ATV4K it does tell you when you are getting close to expiration.
post #4827 of 5624 Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
They don’t last a long time (usually depends on channel). At least on the ATV4K it does tell you when you are getting close to expiration.
There is a hard limit on the cloud dvr of 30 days. The ATV does flag you when a recording is coming close to the 30 days. I think the Osprey beta box might also.

post #4828 of 5624 Old 07-15-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
Last month (June) DTVN notified me that my 3 months discount for my GO BIG pkg. would end on my billing date July 5th. It didn't happen and stayed @ 65 bux/mnth. I just logged into my account and this coming Aug 5th remains the same 65 bux...I am a happy camper!
What is said in the DTVN thread stays in the DTVN thread. (Like Las Vegas but cheaper )
beerhunt likes this.

post #4829 of 5624 Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
There is a hard limit on the cloud dvr of 30 days. The ATV does flag you when a recording is coming close to the 30 days. I think the Osprey beta box might also.
I'm using the ATV, no flag or warning. And I thought everything was kept for 30 days unless you delete sooner? Neither recording was close to 30 days old. And it wasn't a matter of running out of recording time.
post #4830 of 5624 Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I'm using the ATV, no flag or warning. And I thought everything was kept for 30 days unless you delete sooner? Neither recording was close to 30 days old. And it wasn't a matter of running out of recording time.
They did update the app recently, and there have been bug reports, you might have come across one. Report to it ATT. You may not be the only one who's run into this, most users are not on AVS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page