DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2070Likes

post #4831 of 5624 Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Haw anyone heard anything new about the DirecTV & Nexstar feud?

Are the Nexstar channels coming back anytime soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5624 Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
I'm getting a delay when bringing up the menu and when it does the menu is no longer on favorites but on all channels subscribed too. It's really getting annoying. This is on a Roku Ultra.
post #4833 of 5624 Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post

Nope. Well, I think I read that they were supposed to resume negotiations this weekend. Of course, now AT&T has another big blackout with CBS owned & operated stations (basically just the largest markets) gone from all AT&T systems as of last night.

I look for both to be resolved before the NFL season begins on Sept. 5, if not before. It's been 7 years since AT&T's last contract with CBS was put in place. Don't know about Nexstar. But apparently these deals carry on for longer than I had realized. So there's a lot of money at stake since the contracts they're trying to do now may last to 2025 or beyond.

My theory is that AT&T is using their size as the largest cable TV distributor in the nation while they still have it -- thanks to a combo of DTV satellite, Uverse TV, plus a few folks on streaming (DTV Now and Watch TV) -- in order to bend these guys over and drive the hardest bargains they can. Not only with local station groups but also the cable network groups, like Viacom and A+E Networks, both of whom AT&T renewed deals with this year (and maybe other groups too).

I think one of the reasons that AT&T has held back on making streaming their main cable TV delivery platform wasn't just ironing out the technical bugs (with which DTV Now subs are very familiar) but also to give AT&T time to renegotiate and renew lots of their carriage contracts, giving AT&T the power to create somewhat skinnier, cheaper channel bundles, with compensation rates for the channels as low as they could get. THAT is what will allow them to launch AT&T TV this fall with a new channel packaging system with very competitive pricing. I think that new channel packaging system was introduced in embryonic form this spring on DTV Now -- Plus and Max -- but it'll be fully fleshed out when it debuts on AT&T TV soon.

AT&T knows that they're bleeding DirecTV satellite subscribers badly, so that number is going to keep going down. I think they plan to move as many of them as possible (and ultimately all Uverse TV and DTV Now subs) over to AT&T TV in the next few years. But they know they'll never get ALL the satellite folks over on AT&T TV. A good chunk of them don't have home broadband so couldn't stream AT&T TV anyway. I think it's entirely plausible that 3-4 years from now, once they've gotten as many moved from satellite to streaming as possible, they'll sell off (either in part or in full) what's left of DirecTV to DISH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 5624 Old 07-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Nope. Well, I think I read that they were supposed to resume negotiations this weekend. Of course, now AT&T has another big blackout with CBS owned & operated stations (basically just the largest markets) gone from all AT&T systems as of last night.

I look for both to be resolved before the NFL season begins on Sept. 5, if not before. It's been 7 years since AT&T's last contract with CBS was put in place. Don't know about Nexstar. But apparently these deals carry on for longer than I had realized. So there's a lot of money at stake since the contracts they're trying to do now may last to 2025 or beyond.

My theory is that AT&T is using their size as the largest cable TV distributor in the nation while they still have it -- thanks to a combo of DTV satellite, Uverse TV, plus a few folks on streaming (DTV Now and Watch TV) -- in order to bend these guys over and drive the hardest bargains they can. Not only with local station groups but also the cable network groups, like Viacom and A+E Networks, both of whom AT&T renewed deals with this year (and maybe other groups too).

I think one of the reasons that AT&T has held back on making streaming their main cable TV delivery platform wasn't just ironing out the technical bugs (with which DTV Now subs are very familiar) but also to give AT&T time to renegotiate and renew lots of their carriage contracts, giving AT&T the power to create somewhat skinnier, cheaper channel bundles, with compensation rates for the channels as low as they could get. THAT is what will allow them to launch AT&T TV this fall with a new channel packaging system with very competitive pricing. I think that new channel packaging system was introduced in embryonic form this spring on DTV Now -- Plus and Max -- but it'll be fully fleshed out when it debuts on AT&T TV soon.

AT&T knows that they're bleeding DirecTV satellite subscribers badly, so that number is going to keep going down. I think they plan to move as many of them as possible (and ultimately all Uverse TV and DTV Now subs) over to AT&T TV in the next few years. But they know they'll never get ALL the satellite folks over on AT&T TV. A good chunk of them don't have home broadband so couldn't stream AT&T TV anyway. I think it's entirely plausible that 3-4 years from now, once they've gotten as many moved from satellite to streaming as possible, they'll sell off (either in part or in full) what's left of DirecTV to DISH.
I haven't seen or heard anything about AT&T TV having a DVR. Has anyone else?
post #4835 of 5624 Old 07-20-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

My son lives in rural Lebanon, Tn., and has Direct Tv satellite, but internet is pretty much non exsistent. If the satellite goes away don't know what he will do. Tried Hughes net and others but pretty much sucked not to mention expensive.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #4836 of 5624 Old 07-20-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith94 View Post
I haven't seen or heard anything about AT&T TV having a DVR. Has anyone else?
Yep, it's cloud DVR. It's the same system as DirecTV Now. But I'm sure AT&T TV will give users at least the option for a lot more than 20 hours of cloud DVR storage. Since it's in the cloud, you can record an unlimited number of shows at the same time.
post #4837 of 5624 Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
My son lives in rural Lebanon, Tn., and has Direct Tv satellite, but internet is pretty much non exsistent. If the satellite goes away don't know what he will do. Tried Hughes net and others but pretty much sucked not to mention expensive.
No need to worry about that. Satellite TV will be around for years to come. There's still too many places like where your son lives without decent broadband service. Yet, anyhow.

I think what will change is that AT&T will no longer put a lot of national advertising into DirecTV satellite TV. They've said that the emphasis on it will shift to serving rural customers.
post #4838 of 5624 Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post

Here's AT&T's site for the latest on provider disputes:
https://tvpromise.att.com/

They gave me a small credit when I complained.
beerhunt likes this.
post #4839 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 07:28 AM

FYI, in case you aren't a sub or didn't get the email:
Quote:
We’d like to share some new changes coming to DIRECTV NOW℠!

In an effort to deliver the best service possible across our products, we will soon be reintroducing the DIRECTV NOW experience as AT&T TV NOW.

In the coming weeks, your DIRECTV NOW app will change to AT&T TV, but will continue to deliver the same great streaming entertainment. As an existing customer, your service will carry on as usual without any interruptions.

If automatic updates are not enabled on your device, you will be directed to download the updated app when you login. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and accept the Terms and Conditions to update.

There will be no changes to any network apps you’ve signed into. However, if you’ve signed into any network apps like USA, E! or ESPN and decide to sign out, you will need to select AT&T TV as your TV provider the next time you log in.[/URL].
Hopefully this means we'll stop getting so many satellite questions in the DirecTV NOW forums.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-30-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #4840 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Hopefully this means we'll stop getting so many satellite questions in the DirecTV NOW forums.
Just got it. I guess it's no big deal, just a name change but AT&T has a end game for us grandfathered plan holders. They will eventually shake us off like flees.
post #4841 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 5023
Someone PM me or send a Report Post when the name officially changes. I can either retitle this thread or someone can create a new one and I'll close this one.

Y'all's call.
aaronwt and shoman94 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4842 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm curious if the TV Provider login for Apple TV will need to be reset or logged off and back on with the new Branding. I guess time will tell.
post #4843 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 112
And they’ve launched their website for the new streaming service. Not a whole lot of info yet. They do mention 4K for other apps but don’t see anything for their own channels.

https://www.att.com/tv/
aaronwt and NashGuy like this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #4844 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mycrackers View Post
I'm curious if the TV Provider login for Apple TV will need to be reset or logged off and back on with the new Branding. I guess time will tell.
The email said that if you need to re-login, then you just use the new name (ATT... ) as the provider, nothing else will change. If you don't re-log in, then it won't matter. If you get a new app (like ESPN) that needs a provider, then use the new name.
post #4845 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
There is one thing that worries me. I am grandfathered into the old programming. So that I don't miss a payment (and lose the grandfathered programming) I use the auto-pay option. If a payment is missed because of the name change I fear that AT&T will cancel my grandfathered programming and charge me more for an inferior choice.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but AT&T isn't exactly known for their compassionate customer service.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #4846 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV Now is being rebranded as "AT&T TV Now" and your apps will auto-update to the new AT&T TV app. Note that the name of the app doesn't end in "Now," so it would appear that this will be the same app that subscribers to the main "AT&T TV" service will also use, at least for out-of-home viewing on mobile devices. (For viewing on actual TV screens, AT&T TV subscribers may be restricted to using the new AT&T TV box, which is simply the C71 Osprey box that select DirecTV Now subscribers have been beta testing since last Dec.)

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...225?gsi=sj5pux
post #4847 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Arrow At&t customer email (to me)

• Jul 30 at 9:21 AM

View Online

Dear Customer,

We’d like to share some new changes coming to DIRECTV NOW℠!

In an effort to deliver the best service possible across our products, we will soon be reintroducing the DIRECTV NOW experience as AT&T TV NOW.

In the coming weeks, your DIRECTV NOW app will change to AT&T TV, but will continue to deliver the same great streaming entertainment. As an existing customer, your service will carry on as usual without any interruptions.

If automatic updates are not enabled on your device, you will be directed to download the updated app when you login. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and accept the Terms and Conditions to update.

There will be no changes to any network apps you’ve signed into. However, if you’ve signed into any network apps like USA, E! or ESPN and decide to sign out, you will need to select AT&T TV as your TV provider the next time you log in.

For more information on what you can expect from the change to AT&T TV, check out this FAQ.

Sincerely,
    Your DIRECTV NOW Team

Here's a link to their FAQ:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...225?gsi=t4tw2o

Last edited by beerhunt; 07-30-2019 at 01:39 PM.
post #4848 of 5624 Old 07-30-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
so far so good for me ...no changes in my grandfathered pricing for the GO BIG pkg. after checking my web account page!
There is a notice about the name change on my account page.
I started my side loaded app on the Nvidia Shield TV and it works good. Crossed fingers!
I cannot 'watch' on the browser Mozilla Firefox anymore, just either Chrome or Safari (Apple).

Last edited by beerhunt; 07-30-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #4849 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A lot of the TV Everywhere apps don’t accept DTVN credentials- including most of AT&T’s own channels! I’m hoping that when this mess is cleared up (at&t tv vs at&t tv now), I’ll be able to use more of the apps. The apps help to reduce need for more DVR hours. Plus, the ones that offer live viewing means I don’t use a DTVN stream.

So will the newer crappy plans be in at&t tv now as well, or just those of us on the reasonable grandfathered plans...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4850 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post
A lot of the TV Everywhere apps don’t accept DTVN credentials- including most of AT&T’s own channels! I’m hoping that when this mess is cleared up (at&t tv vs at&t tv now), I’ll be able to use more of the apps. The apps help to reduce need for more DVR hours. Plus, the ones that offer live viewing means I don’t use a DTVN stream.

So will the newer crappy plans be in at&t tv now as well, or just those of us on the reasonable grandfathered plans...
This may not happen until AT&T TV replaces DirecTV. I remember back when there was a glitch and we could log in to TVE using DTVN credentials but picking DTV as the provider. That gave me access to the Turner networks for a few months until they fixed the glitch. Fingers crossed that they introduce another glitch. But this time, we all need to keep it quiet.
post #4851 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

So the main AT&T TV service will offer 500 hours of cloud DVR storage with a 90-day auto-expiration time limit on recordings. And it comes with (it would appear) one custom 4K HDR streaming box (the Osprey C71 box that has been beta-tested by select DTVN subscribers). It also will allow for 3 concurrent streams while DTVN only allows 2 (and charges an extra $5/mo for a 3rd stream). But we know that both services, AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now, will use the exact same app and it appears to me that they're going to offer the same channel packages, although we don't now that for sure yet. Only other difference I can imagine between the two is that AT&T TV Now will remain contract-free (note their use of the word "freedom" in the email about the name change) while we don't know if AT&T TV will require some kind of up-front commitment.

It'll be interesting to see how the pricing differs between the two services. I'm guessing $10 more per month for AT&T TV. On DTV Now currently, Plus and Max are priced at $50 and $70 (although they've been giving out discounts regularly on them). $10 higher on AT&T TV would put Plus and Max at $60 and $80. Or, OTOH, perhaps the pricing gets adjusted down a bit for AT&T TV Now. Perhaps Plus drops to $45 and Max to $65, meaning that those package would cost $55 and $75 on AT&T TV. If AT&T TV requires a significant up-front commitment, e.g. 12 months, then that augurs in favor of an even better cost-to-value ratio for it vs. contract-free AT&T TV Now.

Other question is whether upgrades will be offered on AT&T TV Now. Could you pay extra per month in order to gain the better cloud DVR and/or additional streams? Or will AT&T simply say, "If you want those better features, we'll simply need to transfer your account over to AT&T TV and send you the streaming box"?
aaronwt likes this.
post #4852 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I always look at AT&T with caution. What I don't see is important- and that is that the AT&T TV press release says that it can be watched via apps on portable devices. Nowhere do they say we can use Roku/Apple TV/Fire TVs. If we can only use their Osprey device, and that device has a monthly rental fee, no way would I sign up for this upcoming "AT&T TV" service- no matter what the price difference is. That was a big reason I left cable TV. I used a Windows Media Center setup for the final ~7 years I was on cable TV.

I have 5 TVs in my house. I will never ever pay a per TV rental fee ever again in my life.
post #4853 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how the pricing differs between the two services. I'm guessing $10 more per month for AT&T TV. On DTV Now currently, Plus and Max are priced at $50 and $70 (although they've been giving out discounts regularly on them). $10 higher on AT&T TV would put Plus and Max at $60 and $80. Or, OTOH, perhaps the pricing gets adjusted down a bit for AT&T TV Now. Perhaps Plus drops to $45 and Max to $65, meaning that those package would cost $55 and $75 on AT&T TV. If AT&T TV requires a significant up-front commitment, e.g. 12 months, then that augurs in favor of an even better cost-to-value ratio for it vs. contract-free AT&T TV Now.
My guess is AT&T TV will be a lot more expensive than NOW, on par with current satellite prices, matching the Entertainment ($93) and up packages below:
https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/...count-dbs.html

I think whatever savings AT&T realizes from lower hardware/install costs will just go into their pocket and not get passed down to the consumer. They may sweeten the pot with some free premiums, but I don't think they'll budge on price.
aaronwt and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #4854 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope this new app. when it comes will work better with Roku. All kinds of glitches with my Roku Ultra. I hope this isn't just a name change update.
post #4855 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
^^^^

Different strokes, but to tell the truth, I don't use the DVR all that much. So much of the content is available on replay. Even on times when I do use it, I find the amount of time available is more than enough.

I was recording a lot of soccer games, what with the women's world cup, the US men in the Gold cup and the South American cup. Since I watch what I record and then delete, the amount of time available was more than enough. Or I'd catch it on rebroadcast.

It looks like the cable and satellite companies are desperately trying to go back to their glory days, when locking in a customer and dictating to them was the way things were.

Millenials don't even have TVs and watch their media on cell phones and laptops. They have never paid for cable, are used to Netflix, Youtube for their media and are not going to be dazzled to pay hundreds of dollars for content. They also now make up the majority of the population.

ATT and company (I'm looking at you, Comcast) may go the way of the newspapers if they don't watch their step. I'm halfway there with my Directv Now subscription (soon ATT TV), may go fully there if more debacles like the CBS thing happens.

Trying to lock people into boxes and contracts I believe will backfire badly in this new consumer environment.
tngiloy likes this.
post #4856 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stupid question, but....
Anyone have a beta unit they hate/are tired of/are using as a coaster/ready to throw away and would mail to me to test? (Would pay shipping).
Let me know...
[email protected]

Mark Vidonic
[email protected]
post #4857 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic View Post
Stupid question, but....
Anyone have a beta unit they hate/are tired of/are using as a coaster/ready to throw away and would mail to me to test? (Would pay shipping).
Let me know...
Have you tried signing up for the beta yourself?

It's gonna be tough to convince someone to give away something that's worth at least $100 on ebay.

In any case, what features make you want the beta box? Due to HDR, HDMI CEC, flaky networking and other issues, I rarely turn on my beta box. It's been more trouble than its worth. But I'm a long way from being willing to just give it away as long as it has significant monetary value.

P.S. You may want to remove your email address and just invite people to PM you. Bots scour boards all the time in search of new spam victims. Plus you kind of open the door to identity theft.
PlanetAVS and brotony like this.
post #4858 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 41
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

I have been a DirecTV Now subscriber for quite some time now. I like the service, however, I keep reading that they are bleeding customers. Is it time for me to start looking around for another service yet? My gut tells me to continue to "stay the course" for now. I have no evidence to back up that decision, but absent any compelling reason to switch, I won't change right now.

Have others here using DirecTV Now felt compelled to look of something else lately? If so, why?

Last edited by Jim1348; 07-31-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #4859 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Have you tried signing up for the beta yourself?

It's gonna be tough to convince someone to give away something that's worth at least $100 on ebay.

In any case, what features make you want the beta box? Due to HDR, HDMI CEC, flaky networking and other issues, I rarely turn on my beta box. It's been more trouble than its worth. But I'm a long way from being willing to just give it away as long as it has significant monetary value.

P.S. You may want to remove your email address and just invite people to PM you. Bots scour boards all the time in search of new spam victims. Plus you kind of open the door to identity theft.

I have. Apparently I'd have better luck dating a supermodel. The lack of responses from AT&T has been, well, frustrating. And the competency of phone support people is worse.

I'd like to test one because my DirecTV contract is up in December and I don't want to get stuck in another 2-year deal if these things and the interface are gonna be trash, as they are moving all their platforms to these.

And to your point about monetary value, ethically, I don't want to pay for one because anyone who has one didn't pay either.
If you were looking to recoup money for a product you bought and are no longer using, ok, that I get and probably would make an offer.
But these are free and test units.
Hope that doesn't sound like I'm ripping you, because I'm honestly not.

Mark Vidonic
[email protected]
post #4860 of 5624 Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I have been a DirecTV Now subscriber for quite some time now. I like the service, I keep reading that they are bleeding customers, however? Is it time for me to start looking around for another service yet? My gut tells me to continue to "stay the course" for now. I have no evidence to back up that decision, but absent any compelling reason to switch, I won't change right now.

Have others here using DirecTV Now felt compelled to look of something else lately? If so, why?
I stick with it because I don't need DVR capacity and am grandfathered into a plan that has all the channels I want and the price is decent.

If they eventually force me into a new plan, I will look elsewhere but for now it covers all my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page