DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1990Likes

post #4981 of 5424 Old 08-23-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes in my area, there was no way for me to FF through commercials on CW shows with any of the streaming services. They all forced commercials on me with the CW recordings. It was basically like you were watching VOD with all the commercials they have with CW shows.
Are you sure that DTV Now actually carried your live local CW channel? Because right now, their site shows that when you enter a DC zip code, AT&T TV Now does NOT carry your local CW station.

https://www.att.com/tv/locals/

Sounds like you tried a lot of different streaming cable services. Perhaps you don't recall the specifics of how you accessed CW shows on DTV Now? Because my bet is that even if it doesn't carry your local CW affiliate, the VOD section of DTV Now DOES carry the same CW content that's offered in the CW app, and that content would include unskippable ads. But VOD works different than cloud DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5424 Old 08-23-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6741 Post(s)
Liked: 6592
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
OK. I thought when you said the ONLY way to watch CW shows commercial-free was to wait for them to hit Netflix that you were implying that it was impossible to watch them commercial-free at all on DTV Now.

Outside if DVR and purchasing NetFlix is the way (for now). I don’t consider FFW through commercials “commercial free”. The original source has to come sans commercials for that definition. DTVN would still have ads even if you can FFW through them.
post #4983 of 5424 Old 08-24-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Outside if DVR and purchasing NetFlix is the way (for now). I don’t consider FFW through commercials “commercial free”. The original source has to come sans commercials for that definition. DTVN would still have ads even if you can FFW through them.
OK. You strayed a bit from the subject of AT&T TV Now with your point (which is why I had originally interpreted that you were making a statement inclusive of AT&T TV Now when you talked about "commercial-free CW shows"), but I get what you're saying, no need for further clarification. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 5424 Old 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I tried different searches in this thread but didn't see it mentioned. Is anyone having a problem with recording programs on CBS? Ever since it's been back anything that records has no sound. This is across all my devices. Live is perfectly fine.
post #4985 of 5424 Old 08-24-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 670
At 9:00 I change channel to A&E to watch Live PD, 90 minutes later the screen goes black and I get the "Are you still there?" message. This has only happened to me in the past when a couple hours have gone by without any interaction. I really hope this isn't going to be the new normal with AT&T TV Now.

Sony 65A1E
post #4986 of 5424 Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'm currently with Directv satellite and looking to cut the cord so I've been doing a trial of all the major players, i.e, Vue, Hulu, Youtube TV, and now AT&T Now (the latter within the last day or so). Based on what I've read and experienced so far, I can see why many point to Youtube TV as the most rounded service, but I'm really drawn to AT&T Now despite some of the bad press it's gotten lately.

I think this is primarily for three reasons: 1) to my eyes, it appears to have the best picture quality of the bunch (higher bitrates?) and seems "smoother". This is important to me because we invest in these HDTV's, why wouldn't we want them to look as good as possible? 2) Dolby Digital, 3) With the channels I can get, I don't have to switch between apps if I want to check out what's on (i.e., between Youtube and Philo for example, where people use one to supplement the other).

The 20 hour DVR isn't quite as big a deal for me, because I've invested in an OTA Tivo DVR and we can use that for all the shows on the major 4 networks. Still hoping they up that to a 100 hour option as is the rumor. I would end up saving roughly $65 per month vs. what I'm paying now which obviously isn't as great a cost savings as I'd get with the others, but even so, I figure the picture quality, Dolby, no rain fade, ability to watch when traveling, etc. still makes it worth it. Still going to trial it here for a bit and learn what the quirks are, but so far so good.
tenthplanet and beerhunt like this.

Last edited by MikeKlim; 08-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #4987 of 5424 Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 3666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post
I'm currently with Directv satellite and looking to cut the cord so I've been doing a trial of all the major players, i.e, Vue, Hulu, Youtube TV, and now AT&T Now (the latter within the last day or so). Based on what I've read and experienced so far, I can see why many point to Youtube TV as the most rounded service, but I'm really drawn to AT&T Now despite some of the bad press it's gotten lately.

I think this is primarily for three reasons: 1) to my eyes, it appears to have the best picture quality of the bunch (higher bitrates?) and seems "smoother". This is important to me because we invest in these HDTV's, why wouldn't we want them to look as good as possible? 2) Dolby Digital, 3) With the channels I can get, I don't have to switch between apps if I want to check out what's on (i.e., between Youtube and Philo for example, where people use one to supplement the other).

The 20 hour DVR isn't quite as big a deal for me, because I've invested in an OTA Tivo DVR and we can use that for all the shows on the major 4 networks. Still hoping they up that to a 100 hour option as is the rumor. I would end up saving roughly $65 per month vs. what I'm paying now which obviously isn't as great a cost savings as I'd get with the others, but even so, I figure the picture quality, Dolby, no rain fade, ability to watch when traveling, etc. still makes it worth it. Still going to trial it here for a bit and learn what the quirks are, but so far so good.
When dealing with streaming an OTA DVR is also a good idea. I've seen the internet fail and OTA work and also the opposite. And there was time when the power went out, and the only entertainment was to go outside and watch the guys fix the power on the street. I've been with Direct TV Now from the beginning (now called AT&T TV now) and most of the bugs have been squashed. The only real bugs I see are occasional ones with the cloud dvr and every streaming service has cloud dvr issues from time to time.
MikeKlim likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #4988 of 5424 Old 08-25-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
At 9:00 I change channel to A&E to watch Live PD, 90 minutes later the screen goes black and I get the "Are you still there?" message. This has only happened to me in the past when a couple hours have gone by without any interaction. I really hope this isn't going to be the new normal with AT&T TV Now.
I think it's a fluke I had it come up on Sci channel but it was over 2 hours, mostly I see it around 3 hours.

post #4989 of 5424 Old 08-25-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I think it's a fluke I had it come up on Sci channel but it was over 2 hours, mostly I see it around 3 hours.
I think I may possibly know why it did that, I had been looking at the Apple TV app that comes loaded on the ATV4K, it shows programs you've been watching/next episodes etc, across many of the apps you use, and I clicked on a Travel Channel program, it asked to open the AT&T TV Now app, I clicked "yes" and watched some of it. When I was done everything was just like I was in the AT&T TV Now app and went on watch other stuff like Live PD, but I think it was still acting via the Apple app and maybe that's why the message came up in 90 minutes instead of hours later like usual. It's the only thing I can think of anyway.

EDIT: OK forget that explanation, just now, 6 minutes after I start watching a recording I get the "Still There?" message. That's just retarded and SUPER ANNOYING.

Sony 65A1E

Last edited by Egan; 08-25-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #4990 of 5424 Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismon1001 View Post
Does anyone know the average bit rates of the major streaming providers? Also who is current in 1st 2nd 3 rd on quality of stream?

Of the services I have tried.

1. ATT tv now
2. Fubotv
3. Sling

ATT and Fubotv looked identical to me in PQ but ATT has them all beat in SQ as most of the channels are DD where the other two providers are stereo on all the channels I checked. Fubotv does offer some 4k streams but I couldn't check those as I dont have a 4k tv yet. Sling had noticeable lower PQ on some channels compared to the other providers and within their own service as well.
post #4991 of 5424 Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb18 View Post
Of the services I have tried.

1. ATT tv now
2. Fubotv
3. Sling

ATT and Fubotv looked identical to me in PQ but ATT has them all beat in SQ as most of the channels are DD where the other two providers are stereo on all the channels I checked. Fubotv does offer some 4k streams but I couldn't check those as I dont have a 4k tv yet. Sling had noticeable lower PQ on some channels compared to the other providers and within their own service as well.
How was the NFL Network on Sling? I'm going to sub it just to get that dang channel. I like ATT TV audio and video too much to change service.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk
post #4992 of 5424 Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
How was the NFL Network on Sling? I'm going to sub it just to get that dang channel. I like ATT TV audio and video too much to change service.

Is there any way to add the NFL Channel a la carte to a streaming device using AT&T NOW as the 'provider' ??
I guess I could get Sling in addition to AT&T NOW, but I'd rather not pay more than I have to. I'm cheap.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #4993 of 5424 Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 PM

DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Is there any way to add the NFL Channel a la carte to a streaming device using AT&T NOW as the 'provider' ??

I guess I could get Sling in addition to AT&T NOW, but I'd rather not pay more than I have to. I'm cheap.

No, there is no way to add it as ATT TV Now does not offer the channel. You’ll need to get a provider that does in order to get it.
post #4994 of 5424 Old 08-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

Nope. The cheapest route to the NFL Network is Sling 'Blue'.

tngiloy likes this.
post #4995 of 5424 Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post

It looked fine to me, I would guess it was 1080p judging against one of the other RSN channels that was clearly lower resolution at probably 720p.
post #4996 of 5424 Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM

NFL network is the one channel I miss as well, it used to be on DTVnow but got dropped for some reason. Luckily all but the first 2 games on that channel are also carried on FOX for the remainder of the season so you wont miss too much.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...-Released.aspx
tngiloy likes this.
post #4997 of 5424 Old 08-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NFL network is the one channel I miss as well, it used to be on DTVnow but got dropped for some reason. Luckily all but the first 2 games on that channel are also carried on FOX for the remainder of the season so you wont miss too much.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...-Released.aspx
Thursday Night games are just a fraction of my time spent on this Network during the regular season. They have the best Sunday Morning pregame show, highlights after the Sunday games, news throughout the week, updates, etc, etc. So I'll be giving Sling Blue a shot starting next week (maybe even this weekend before my fantasy draft).

post #4998 of 5424 Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, DirecTV Now/AT&T TV Now has long been reputed to have the best HD picture quality of all the streaming cable TV services. Also, unlike all the other services, I think that its cloud DVR doesn't have any weird rules about not letting you FF through ads on certain channels. Its cloud DVR works like you expect a DVR to work, regardless of channel.

OK, what if you could pay $10 more per month than you're paying for AT&T TV Now and for that extra money you'd get:
  • a cloud DVR with 500 hours of storage and a 90-day expiration (instead of 20 hours storage with 30-day expiration as you have now)
  • viewing on 3 devices simultaneously (instead of the 2 you get now)
  • one free Google Android TV streaming device and voice remote customized for use with this service, with access to thousand of other apps on the side (Don't worry, you don't have to use it if you don't like it; you can still use the AT&T TV app on all your other devices like Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV.)

I think that's what the new AT&T TV service is going to be. Only other catch: you'll probably have a 12-month up-front contract.

Oh, and one other thing, all packages will include the upcoming on-demand streaming service HBO Max
post #4999 of 5424 Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Yes, DirecTV Now/AT&T TV Now has long been reputed to have the best HD picture quality of all the streaming cable TV services. Also, unlike all the other services, I think that its cloud DVR doesn't have any weird rules about not letting you FF through ads on certain channels. Its cloud DVR works like you expect a DVR to work, regardless of channel.

OK, what if you could pay $10 more per month than you're paying for AT&T TV Now and for that extra money you'd get:
  • a cloud DVR with 500 hours of storage and a 90-day expiration (instead of 20 hours storage with 30-day expiration as you have now)
  • viewing on 3 devices simultaneously (instead of the 2 you get now)
  • one free Google Android TV streaming device and voice remote customized for use with this service, with access to thousand of other apps on the side (Don't worry, you don't have to use it if you don't like it; you can still use the AT&T TV app on all your other devices like Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV.)

I think that's what the new AT&T TV service is going to be. Only other catch: you'll probably have a 12-month up-front contract.

Oh, and one other thing, all packages will include the upcoming on-demand streaming service HBO Max HBO Max.
I recorded ABC World News twice recently and it wouldn't let me FF, only RW. And what happened to the promised 100 hr cloud DVR with longer storage time for regular streamers?

Sony 65A1E
post #5000 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
I recorded ABC World News twice recently and it wouldn't let me FF, only RW. And what happened to the promised 100 hr cloud DVR with longer storage time for regular streamers?

I asked two different reps about this via chat. One said it had just finished testing and they were prepared to roll out the new DVR capacity in the next few weeks. The other didn't even know anything about it, much less articles/reports they were looking to increase it to 100 hours. Not sure what to believe.
post #5001 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I asked two different reps about this via chat. One said it had just finished testing and they were prepared to roll out the new DVR capacity in the next few weeks. The other didn't even know anything about it, much less articles/reports they were looking to increase it to 100 hours. Not sure what to believe.

Don’t believe 1st level reps. They only have the information given to them for their “script”.
post #5002 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm. That's good info. Hopefully others post if they experience the same sort of thing.

I've never heard, as far as I can recall, other instances of being unable to FF cloud DVR recordings on DirecTV Now / AT&T TV Now. And I've never heard of that happening with an ABC recording on ANY streaming cable TV service. (Typically the issue is with CBS and The CW -- definitely an issue on YouTube TV -- or ESPN, which is the case with Sling's cloud DVR.)

So I wonder if what you experienced was some kind of isolated bug -- there have been a LOT of those with DTVN! Or if it's some change in policy. Please let us know if this issue persists on ABC News World Tonight and/or any other shows/channels. Thanks.
post #5003 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, obviously they have the capability to offer as much as 500 hours of cloud DVR storage since they're already doing it with AT&T TV.

The rumor from over a year ago is that DTVN would offer an extra 100 hours (or maybe an extra 80 hours, for a total of 100 hours) with a 90-day expiration for a $10 upgrade fee. There was also mention of maybe an intermediate package, like 50 hours for $5.

Anyhow, why should they leave that money on the table? Why not give AT&T TV Now customers the option to pay $10 more for a 100-hr 90-day cloud DVR?

The funny thing will be if I'm correct that AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now end up offering the same set of channel packages, with them costing just $10 more on AT&T TV. If that happens, then paying an extra $10 for an expanded cloud DVR on AT&T TV Now means that you'll be paying the same thing as you would on AT&T TV, except you'll have just 100 hours of storage rather than 500, and 2 streams instead of 3. And no free streaming box.

But hey, you'll avoid that up-front contract.
post #5004 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We have yet to see a tech website in an ATT TV test market post anything. I think we should see something within a month. I do think there will more bugs to iron out, mostly with the Osprey box based on Android TV. I've been testing the box out and most of beta testers comments are from people who haven't used Direct TV satellite service. Real users who pay for this service in the test markets experience should be interesting.
NashGuy likes this.

post #5005 of 5424 Old 08-28-2019, 09:14 PM

For those that want to get in on the deal it’s “live” until 9/2 (you have to sign up for D23 by 9/1).

Valid only from August 26, 2019 through September 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT. Promotional offer available to all D23 General, Gold or Gold Family Members who have an active membership as of 11:59PM PT on September 1, 2019. Valid for US residents with US payment method only.
post #5006 of 5424 Old 08-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It looked fine to me, I would guess it was 1080p judging against one of the other RSN channels that was clearly lower resolution at probably 720p.
I went ahead and signed up for the 7 day free trial. Although 720p doesnt look bad, 30 fps makes things blurry and compressed during action sports. Very disappointing, at least on my LG 65" C9 OLED.

post #5007 of 5424 Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nexstar & AT&T deal was made.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/att...al-1203318699/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...se/2156291001/

According to the AT&T Now tech I chatted with it will be about 5-7 days before my local ABC will be fully operational.

So how's everyone service working?
post #5008 of 5424 Old 08-30-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Any word if we will ever get to use the TnT or Tbs Apps ?

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #5009 of 5424 Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
Any word if we will ever get to use the TnT or Tbs Apps ?

No
post #5010 of 5424 Old 08-31-2019, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
No
My guess is when the original agreement for Turner Networks that was struck before ATT ownership expires, things will rejigger for apps. Even when different companies are brought under a common owner, things can move slowly. Carriage agreements for Turner on cable systems maybe be part of the problem. It took a long time to get apps for Discovery channels but those came eventually, sometimes everyone's lawyers just have to do their thing.
Or..As ATT sorts out ATT TV maybe they will do the apps for ATT TV Now at the same time. There is also HBO Max coming and rumors that ATT TV Now may be tied to it. Well see what happens. Just don't start any pools, you'll probably lose money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page