DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1926Likes

post #5131 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5569 Post(s)
Liked: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey guys I get AT&T watch free because of my phone plan with AT&T. That comes with HBO free. If I were to drop AT&T TV Now I would still have access to HBO though AT&T watch correct? That makes my decision easier actually. I pay 7 bucks a month for the Smithsonian channel app. Because ATT Now didn't have it but Hulu live and YouTube TV both have it. I could save 7 a month right there, plus those other services are cheaper. Losing 5.1 sound would really, really, really, freaking suck though because I don't think those other services have DD 5.1 sound.
Some of the On-Demand content on other services is 5.1.

You should be able to login to HBO Go (not HBO Now) with your credentials. Try it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
And its included for free with higher end AT&T wireless plans. It seems to be the forgotten option, since most people will want live sports. I'd miss live sports but not really interested in paying 3-4X the monthly price to get sports.
I mistakenly assumed that ESPN+ would replace my cable subscription but it does not. The ESPN app is great on ATV (multicast) but you need a provider login to stream the live channels.
Quote:
I tried logging into the AT&T Watch TV app using my AT&T credentials but it doesn't work.
You either don't have the qualifying plan or the credentials are not setup properly for your AT&T ID. A chat representative should be able to sort it out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
And its included for free with higher end AT&T wireless plans. It seems to be the forgotten option, since most people will want live sports. I'd miss live sports but not really interested in paying 3-4X the monthly price to get sports.

I tried logging into the AT&T Watch TV app using my AT&T credentials but it doesn't work.
Yup, I was able to log in. Thanks
post #5133 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Yup, I was able to log in. Thanks
Can you give some feedback on the picture quality, as it compares to AT&T TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you give some feedback on the picture quality, as it compares to AT&T TV?
Between ATT TV Now and HBO go? Both look really excellent.
post #5135 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Between ATT TV Now and HBO go? Both look really excellent.
Looking for a comparison of AT&T Watch vs AT&T TV picture quality. Perhaps comparing AMC on each?
post #5136 of 5287 Old 10-19-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking for a comparison of AT&T Watch vs AT&T TV picture quality. Perhaps comparing AMC on each?
I think AT&T Watch TV looks pretty much identical to AT&T TV Now and both have 5.1 sound. Yeah watch TV looks really, really excellent.
NashGuy and PlanetAVS like this.
post #5137 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Is there any consesus as to what provides better pq, a roku or apple 4k tv? Also, do you guys set the resolution output to 1080p or 4k on those devices?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5138 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Is there any consesus as to what provides better pq, a roku or apple 4k tv? Also, do you guys set the resolution output to 1080p or 4k on those devices?

It looks better and the app is faster on ATV4K. On ATV4K, set the default to 4K SDR with matching frame rate and matching dynamic range both set to on.
post #5139 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks better and the app is faster on ATV4K. On ATV4K, set the default to 4K SDR with matching frame rate and matching dynamic range both set to on.
Thanks, gonna pick one up today. The internal app on my samsung, while it looks good, is slow and no 5.1 audio

post #5140 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my Samsung q9fn setting the atv to 1080 looks superior then setting the atv to 4k. Tv has much better upscaling, but it looks great! Better then the internal app, especially for espn and other native 720p channels

post #5141 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my Samsung q9fn setting the atv to 1080 looks superior then setting the atv to 4k. Tv has much better upscaling, but it looks great! Better then the internal app, especially for espn and other native 720p channels

Although the Q9FN will upscale well, setting the ATV to 1080 will result in downscaling of 4K content to 1080P and then upscaling back to 4K by the Q9FN. That's a lot of unnecessary processing which could result in artifacts.
post #5142 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Although the Q9FN will upscale well, setting the ATV to 1080 will result in downscaling of 4K content to 1080P and then upscaling back to 4K by the Q9FN. That's a lot of unnecessary processing which could result in artifacts.
Right. But I'm talking about specifically just the att now app, obviously for anything 4k the resolution would need to be changed back to 4k. But i use the internal apps for netflix or Amazon 4k, main reason i wanted this was for att now, and it's certainly a huge improvement over the native app. Lighting fast, better pq, and 5.1 when channels allow

post #5143 of 5287 Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right. But I'm talking about specifically just the att now app, obviously for anything 4k the resolution would need to be changed back to 4k. But i use the internal apps for netflix or Amazon 4k, main reason i wanted this was for att now, and it's certainly a huge improvement over the native app. Lighting fast, better pq, and 5.1 when channels allow

Most ATV4K owners do not want to have to switch the resolution every time they switch from HD to UHD but YMMV
gambler52 likes this.
post #5144 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
I'm leaning towards switching to AT&T Watch TV when the price increase hits. Anyone compared the picture quality to AT&T TV? Not sure if the same quality can be expected, I know that its a different app for ATV.
I did the free trial of Watch TV recently. The live TV picture quality looked very good, just the same as I recall it from when I had DirecTV Now last year.

It seems pretty clear to me that AT&T is simply using all the same tech to power Watch TV as AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now. The Watch TV app looks almost exactly the same as the AT&T TV app on Apple TV, with the exception that Watch TV has no cloud DVR, so that option isn't in the menu system. I'm sure those services are fetching the same streams from the same back-end servers. It's all just a matter of which channels and features you're allowed to access based on your AT&T user ID and the specific app you're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
AT&T WatchTV has always been available to anyone for $15/month (which is a bargain IMO). I'm not sure people even realize this as ilI don't remember it being marketted. I hope they keep it and other providers follow suit with low-cost options like WatchTV and Philo.

WatchTV allows subscriptions to HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz (which Philo doesn't offer). It would be great if WatchTV became the intro tier for AT&T TV. I would like to see them add more streams and DVR ($5/each). If they include DVR and 2 streams $25 is still palatable. JMHO
Yeah, as I said, AT&T seems to just use Watch TV as a freebie to give away with their Unlimited cellular plans. (And even in the marketing language for those plans, they just refer to "35+ channels of live TV" rather than using the "AT&T Watch TV" brand name, probably because they figure that no one knows what it is!) As you say, they've done basically no marketing for Watch TV.

I have to wonder if AT&T didn't have bigger long-term plans for this skinny bundle of channels when they constructed it (which, I would think, would require AT&T getting clearance for it with the various channel groups it includes). It's always made more sense to just incorporate it into AT&T TV/Now as the cheapest package rather than have it hanging out in its own separately branded service that receives zero marketing. So I still think that, if it's to survive long-term, that's what will happen.

But if it does happen, I also expect that it will come with HBO Max as part of the bundle, along with cloud DVR. Those are features that I think will be part of all the channel packages on AT&T TV/Now. So that would mean the price would increase. If AT&T thinks the live channels in Watch TV are worth $15 and HBO Max will be priced alone in the $15-18 range (based on numerous leaks/reports), you'd think that that bundle as the Starter tier in AT&T TV/Now would cost at least $30, maybe more like $35 or $40. But, hey, if you're able to get your major local channels for free with an OTA antenna and you could incorporate them into the AT&T TV/Now user interface, that would be a pretty nice content bundle for $35, assuming you didn't need all-sports channels like ESPN.
Marc Alexander and beerhunt like this.
post #5145 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I did the free trial of Watch TV recently. The live TV picture quality looked very good, just the same as I recall it from when I had DirecTV Now last year.

It seems pretty clear to me that AT&T is simply using all the same tech to power Watch TV as AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now. The Watch TV app looks almost exactly the same as the AT&T TV app on Apple TV, with the exception that Watch TV has no cloud DVR, so that option isn't in the menu system. I'm sure those services are fetching the same streams from the same back-end servers. It's all just a matter of which channels and features you're allowed to access based on your AT&T user ID and the specific app you're using.

Yeah, as I said, AT&T seems to just use Watch TV as a freebie to give away with their Unlimited cellular plans. (And even in the marketing language for those plans, they just refer to "35+ channels of live TV" rather than using the "AT&T Watch TV" brand name, probably because they figure that no one knows what it is!) As you say, they've done basically no marketing for Watch TV.

I have to wonder if AT&T didn't have bigger long-term plans for this skinny bundle of channels when they constructed it (which, I would think, would require AT&T getting clearance for it with the various channel groups it includes). It's always made more sense to just incorporate it into AT&T TV/Now as the cheapest package rather than have it hanging out in its own separately branded service that receives zero marketing. So I still think that, if it's to survive long-term, that's what will happen.

But if it does happen, I also expect that it will come with HBO Max as part of the bundle, along with cloud DVR. Those are features that I think will be part of all the channel packages on AT&T TV/Now. So that would mean the price would increase. If AT&T thinks the live channels in Watch TV are worth $15 and HBO Max will be priced alone in the $15-18 range (based on numerous leaks/reports), you'd think that that bundle as the Starter tier in AT&T TV/Now would cost at least $30, maybe more like $35 or $40. But, hey, if you're able to get your major local channels for free with an OTA antenna and you could incorporate them into the AT&T TV/Now user interface, that would be a pretty nice content bundle for $35, assuming you didn't need all-sports channels like ESPN.
Read on Cordcutters news that AT&T was having issues with their billing software and I can believe it. Checked my account for AT&T Tv Now on Sat. and it was still 50.00 for grandfathered Go Big package which it has been since the last increase. On Sunday it went to 75.00 and I started comparing others options including going with the cell unlimited date plan which would give me "free" Watch Tv, plus HBO. Today the bill went back down to 50.00. I wish they would get it together. I may just go ahead and switch to the unlimited plan and get Watch Tv, still undecided. I do think all this mucking around with different packages is focused on getting everyone out of Direct Tv Now and into one of the other packages. Just my 2 cents worth.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #5146 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Quoted: 5569 Post(s)
Liked: 5167
I couldn't find a WatchTV app for Roku. Apparently there isn't one [yet?]. I'm not sure why since the Apple and Android WatchTV apps are clones of the AT&T TV apps, sans DVR.

https://thestreamable.com/live-tv-streaming/att-watchtv
Quote:
AT&T WatchTV is not compatible with Roku, Android TV, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, Samsung Smart TV, VIZIO Smart TV, and LG Smart TV.
post #5147 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
Read on Cordcutters news that AT&T was having issues with their billing software and I can believe it. Checked my account for AT&T Tv Now on Sat. and it was still 50.00 for grandfathered Go Big package which it has been since the last increase. On Sunday it went to 75.00 and I started comparing others options including going with the cell unlimited date plan which would give me "free" Watch Tv, plus HBO. Today the bill went back down to 50.00. I wish they would get it together. I may just go ahead and switch to the unlimited plan and get Watch Tv, still undecided. I do think all this mucking around with different packages is focused on getting everyone out of Direct Tv Now and into one of the other packages. Just my 2 cents worth.
If I were you, I'd hold tight just a bit longer, until at least Nov. 1, and see if more details of AT&T's overall plans have come to light. I think they may give us details about more than just HBO Max at its big unveiling event on Oct. 29. And we know that Nov. is when the new cloud DVR platform gets implemented for AT&T TV Now, and the price hikes start going into effect for all its packages. It's also looking like the month when AT&T TV will launch nationwide. Lots of stuff are in flux in the coming month...
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #5148 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I couldn't find a WatchTV app for Roku. Apparently there isn't one [yet?]. I'm not sure why since the Apple and Android WatchTV apps are clones of the AT&T TV apps, sans DVR.

https://thestreamable.com/live-tv-streaming/att-watchtv
Yeah, I don't know why they never rolled out a Roku version of the Watch TV app since there's a Roku version of the AT&T TV app. Although I've read that the DirecTV Now/AT&T TV app has historically performed the worst on Roku of any TV-connected platform. So maybe they didn't bother rolling it out to Watch TV users to avoid increasing Roku customer support incidents on a service that made them hardly any money.
post #5149 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
If I were you, I'd hold tight just a bit longer, until at least Nov. 1, and see if more details of AT&T's overall plans have come to light. I think they may give us details about more than just HBO Max at its big unveiling event on Oct. 29. And we know that Nov. is when the new cloud DVR platform gets implemented for AT&T TV Now, and the price hikes start going into effect for all its packages. It's also looking like the month when AT&T TV will launch nationwide. Lots of stuff are in flux in the coming month...
I may do that since the bill isn't due until November 9.
NashGuy likes this.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #5150 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I'm watching football today and I wanted to start recording a game in progress, but I don't see a way to do it. If I go to the guide and choose a program starting later I have the option to record, but I don't see an option to start recording a program in progress. I'm using a Roku Ultra if that makes a difference.
Am I missing something or is it not possible to start recording a program in progress?

Yup. When you're watching the program, Click the "Ok" button (no down arrow) and a small menu comes up in the bottom. The record choice should be on the right.
tngiloy likes this.
post #5151 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Yup. When you're watching the program, Click the "Ok" button (no down arrow) and a small menu comes up in the bottom. The record choice should be on the right.
Thanks! That works.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #5152 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know if our sub to AT&T TV Now allows us access to NATGEO app?
post #5153 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6357
Quote:

I believe it should, I seem to remember seeing it before. Use ATTTV as the login.
post #5154 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I believe it should, I seem to remember seeing it before. Use ATTTV as the login.
Hmm, that's strange because I couldn't even put in the code before telling them what service you subscribe to. It kept rejecting the code alone that I see on my TV. Any ideas?
post #5155 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6357
Quote:
Hmm, that's strange because I couldn't even put in the code before telling them what service you subscribe to. It kept rejecting the code alone that I see on my TV. Any ideas?

Not sure, I was just able to log into the website version without any issues. Could be a temporary glitch with the app.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #5156 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Not sure, I was just able to log into the website version without any issues. Could be a temporary glitch with the app.
Thanks, I'll try again soon.
Ph8te likes this.
post #5157 of 5287 Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Yes I've used it many times.
tenthplanet and Hetfieldjames like this.

Sony 65A1E
post #5158 of 5287 Old 10-26-2019, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Quote:
Glitch. I recently tried to authorize HGTV and the system said error like it didn't take the code, 30 sec later the service was authorized. Computer systems are fun sometimes

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5159 of 5287 Old 10-29-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 663
AT&T is making HBO Max free if you already get HBO through them via DTV or AT&T TV Now. Details are still sketchy, and HBO Max is not even going to launch until spring 2020, will be interesting to see if AT&T is going to make it a permanent bonus for subscribers. HBO Max will have one show that greatly interests me based on the Dune series. I would have subbed just for that.

Sony 65A1E
post #5160 of 5287 Old 10-29-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
AT&T is making HBO Max free if you already get HBO through them via DTV or AT&T TV Now. Details are still sketchy, and HBO Max is not even going to launch until spring 2020, will be interesting to see if AT&T is going to make it a permanent bonus for subscribers. HBO Max will have one show that greatly interests me based on the Dune series. I would have subbed just for that.
Well AT&T announced huge subscriber losses for their last quarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page