DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1990Likes

post #5401 of 5424 Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
There have been channels in the guide for things you don't receive/ don't subscribe to for awhile. I used to see sports networks that we can't get on the west coast. Usually if you click on the guide entry you'll get an you are not subscribed to this channel notice. The guide does seem to be cleaned up from time to time.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5424 Old 01-08-2020, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
There have been channels in the guide for things you don't receive/ don't subscribe to for awhile. I used to see sports networks that we can't get on the west coast. Usually if you click on the guide entry you'll get an you are not subscribed to this channel notice. The guide does seem to be cleaned up from time to time.
The Cinemax channel is watchable. Too bad there's nothing on it I want to watch.

Sony 65A1E
post #5403 of 5424 Old 01-09-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Just started watching on Chrome and noticed the "Action Max" Cinemax channel, is this new? I don't sub to Cinemax. I don't have favorites set for Chrome so I see all the channels in the guide that I get unlike my other streaming devices. No other Cinemax channels are there just this one. I googled Cinemax Freeview and didn't see any info about them doing a freeview now.
AT&T TV Now recently added a few of the multiplex channels for the premium services that they didn't stream before. Originally, they only carried the main Cinemax channel (or maybe the east and west feeds for it). For some reason, when they recently added Action Max, it showed up in the guide for lots of folks who don't even have Cinemax as part of their subscription package (maybe for everyone) based on what I read in another forum thread. I guess it's a glitch but, as long as you aren't being charged for it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 5424 Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I guess it's a glitch but, as long as you aren't being charged for it...
I question if it's a glitch, if I select a movie in the guide there's a "subscribe" button above the program description, and it won't let you record anything, so it's not treated like just another channel that you normally get. May be a bit of advertising to get you to sub to Cinemax.

Sony 65A1E
post #5405 of 5424 Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I question if it's a glitch, if I select a movie in the guide there's a "subscribe" button above the program description, and it won't let you record anything, so it's not treated like just another channel that you normally get. May be a bit of advertising to get you to sub to Cinemax.
Weird. Sounds pretty glitchy to me. And if it's a free sample to encourage you to subscribe to Cinemax, why not give you the actual main Cinemax channel?

Tangentially related: It's hard to believe anyone pays to subscribe to Cinemax a la carte at its normal price of $10 to $14 per month (depending on who you buy it through). It just cycles through the same library of movies as HBO but has almost no exclusive original content. I think Cinemax only aired something like 17 hours of original content in all of 2019 (first seasons of the new series Warrior and Jett)! After it got dropped from both Comcast's and Charter's packaged bundles last year (and completely dropped from DISH the year before), you have to wonder how much of a future Cinemax has. And the WSJ reported last summer that its originals library would get absorbed into the upcoming HBO Max service. I keep thinking that they'll just kill Cinemax in 2020 as they focus all their energies on HBO Max.

(BTW, they just announced yesterday that AT&T's Audience network will soon transform into being a preview channel for HBO Max. No official announcement on where the Audience library of original content will go but many expect that it will land at HBO Max.)

Last edited by NashGuy; 01-09-2020 at 02:22 PM.
post #5406 of 5424 Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Weird. Sounds pretty glitchy to me. And if it's a free sample to encourage you to subscribe to Cinemax, why not give you the actual main Cinemax channel?
Hmmm if they did that then why would you fork over money to pay for something you're already getting for free? Instead they offer one of Cinemax's red headed stepchild channels to maybe stir some interest in the main channel. Just a hypothesis. I agree about Cinemax, no idea why anyone would pay for it. I did one time years ago for an original supernatural series they had, forget its name, wasn't good and canceled afterwards.

Sony 65A1E
post #5407 of 5424 Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
AT&T TV NOW Adds Three Streams and 500 Hours of DVR Storage to Max and Plus Packages.
Legacy Customers Remain with 2 Streams and 20 Hour DVR.
https://thestreamable.com/news/att-t...-plus-packages

Before you legacy folks jump on this, realize the Max and Plus lineups are pretty dismal and the price pretty high. Youtube TV is still a better value and has unlimited DVR.
PlanetAVS and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #5408 of 5424 Old 01-16-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
AT&T TV NOW Adds Three Streams and 500 Hours of DVR Storage to Max and Plus Packages.

Before you legacy folks jump on this, realize the Max and Plus lineups are pretty dismal and the price pretty high. Youtube TV is still a better value and has unlimited DVR.
Yeah that's the BS of it. Not for grandfathered plans.
post #5409 of 5424 Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If they screw with the grandfathered plans, which at some point I'm sure they will, my plan is to go back to cable. No contract, 150 hr Tivo DVR, internet speed increases from 150 to 250 Mbps, for about $40 less per month. Lose HBO and Science channel though. I'd do it now but I suspect the PQ will be inferior.

Sony 65A1E
post #5410 of 5424 Old 01-16-2020, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:

Yep, pretty much meaningless news.
post #5411 of 5424 Old 01-16-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyday now Google is going to change that 9 month dvr the competition is dropping with like flies, the service isn't profitable and Google has a habit of dropping things the started. PS Vue bit the dust, there will be others.

post #5412 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Anyday now Google is going to change that 9 month dvr the competition is dropping with like flies, the service isn't profitable and Google has a habit of dropping things the started. PS Vue bit the dust, there will be others.
Funny how the guy that loves to accuse everybody else of spreading FUD is the one who spreads the most. Google has steadily improved it's streaming apps (Live Channels and Youtube TV) far faster than AT&T. I see no evidence whatsoever that they are about to reverse course. What I HAVE actually seen is all the competition improving to catch up with Google.

PS Vue is a special case. They've had fundamental problems from the beginning that they've refused to fix. Sony alone is the reason for its demise, sabotaging their own excellent product with confusing branding, awkward account management and inability to successfully deal with content providers.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #5413 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
English please.
post #5414 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
English please.
Translation:

Any day now Google is going to change that 9 month DVR. The service isn't profitable. Google has a habit of dropping things they started.

The competition is dropping like flies. PS Vue bit the dust. There will be others.
post #5415 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
English please.
I didn't understand what the heck this guy was talking about either. Google is so profitable that they could lose money on YTTV till kingdom come and not blink an eye. Not saying they want to but they can. Google prints money.
post #5416 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I didn't understand what the heck this guy was talking about either. Google is so profitable that they could lose money on YTTV till kingdom come and not blink an eye. Not saying they want to but they can. Google prints money.
Usually his posts are quite articulate. Looking at the time stamp, perhaps the beers were flowing
post #5417 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to know whether or not YouTube TV as currently priced and structured is profitable. If it is, I'd say only barely so. At any rate, annual price increases are normal for cable TV and that will apply to streaming cable TV services too. I expect we'll see another YTTV price hike this spring. Last year the price went from $40 to $50. Year before, it jumped from its initial $35 price to $40. They softened the blow of the last hike by including some more channels. I think we'll see that again with popular channels from A+E, Hallmark and/or Viacom added. (All are currently missing.)

YTTV has lined up a few broadband providers like Verizon and Cincinnati Bell as distribution partners. It's slowly maturing into a full-fledged cable TV competitor (although I think it needs the option of a custom streaming device with full-featured remote control for those customers who want/need such). If they add some of those missing channels and raise the price to $60/mo, I'd say we'd be getting close to a long-term sustainable formula for YTTV. Google does have a habit of discarding things it loses interest in if they don't become profitable enough over time and, who knows, YTTV might end up in that category. But if they get enough distribution partners, they might become a major player. I can imagine more and more small-to-midsize broadband operators phasing out their own cable TV services and opt to just distribute YTTV instead.
post #5418 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Usually his posts are quite articulate. Looking at the time stamp, perhaps the beers were flowing
I don't drink but if I do post anything early in the morning, later on I'm like what the F was trying to say? How did I mispell every word?
post #5419 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Off topic but one other thing comes to mind when I think about YTTV, Google/Alphabet also makes money from YouTube Premium, which I subscribe to, that's almost pure profit for them, something that could help subsidize YTTV.

Sony 65A1E
post #5420 of 5424 Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to know whether or not YouTube TV as currently priced and structured is profitable. If it is, I'd say only barely so. At any rate, annual price increases are normal for cable TV and that will apply to streaming cable TV services too. I expect we'll see another YTTV price hike this spring. Last year the price went from $40 to $50. Year before, it jumped from its initial $35 price to $40. They softened the blow of the last hike by including some more channels. I think we'll see that again with popular channels from A+E, Hallmark and/or Viacom added. (All are currently missing.)

YTTV has lined up a few broadband providers like Verizon and Cincinnati Bell as distribution partners. It's slowly maturing into a full-fledged cable TV competitor (although I think it needs the option of a custom streaming device with full-featured remote control for those customers who want/need such). If they add some of those missing channels and raise the price to $60/mo, I'd say we'd be getting close to a long-term sustainable formula for YTTV. Google does have a habit of discarding things it loses interest in if they don't become profitable enough over time and, who knows, YTTV might end up in that category. But if they get enough distribution partners, they might become a major player. I can imagine more and more small-to-midsize broadband operators phasing out their own cable TV services and opt to just distribute YTTV instead.
The challenge is if you don't own content you are increasingly at the mercy at the content providers, and that can raise your costs. That's the challenge to Google, Dish/Sling, Fubo, and even some cable systems. If Disney and Comcast go direct to viewers at some point that can throw a monkey wrench into everything. I think you're right about Google they can add channels and get some stability, and rates will go up, but prices go up on everything. Most people want all their TV channels in one place, and want it to work well, even if they use different apps for everything else.
Egan and NashGuy like this.

post #5421 of 5424 Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The challenge is if you don't own content you are increasingly at the mercy at the content providers, and that can raise your costs. That's the challenge to Google, Dish/Sling, Fubo, and even some cable systems. If Disney and Comcast go direct to viewers at some point that can throw a monkey wrench into everything. I think you're right about Google they can add channels and get some stability, and rates will go up, but prices go up on everything. Most people want all their TV channels in one place, and want it to work well, even if they use different apps for everything else.
Yep. Totally agree. I think that over the next few years we're going to increasingly see cable TV providers who don't OWN content get out of the business of operating their own TV services. Why bother? The economics are lousy when you don't own any of the content, the content owners keep forcing price hikes on them, the profit margins they make on cable TV is way lower than on their broadband service, there's a lot of support involved in issuing and recycling all those TV boxes, and the subscriber base keeps dwindling. Much easier to just resell one or more of the streaming services, some of which will offer live cable channels, e.g. YouTube TV, Hulu, AT&T TV/HBO Max, etc. I can't see any good reason why Comcast's new Peacock service won't eventually offer the option to add packages of live cable channels inside the app, just as Hulu already does and HBO Max will do next year.

Given Google's size, and the huge presence they already have in advertising and streaming video distribution with YouTube, they're one of the few non-content-owning companies I can see potentially making cable TV distribution work. But I really do wonder whether we'll see Charter, Verizon, Cox, Altice, etc. still running their own cable TV services in the back half of the 2020s.
post #5422 of 5424 Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Are they ever going to fix the stuttering/audio sync glitch? Really annoying to have to constantly switch the video settings on my ATV4K!
Damien Inferno likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
post #5423 of 5424 Old 01-26-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Are they ever going to fix the stuttering/audio sync glitch? Really annoying to have to constantly switch the video settings on my ATV4K!

Not looking like it at this point. Still broken after 3 months.

That said, I’ve just been leaving my ATV4K set to 1080p SDR for everything. I did some A/B testing with (2) ATV4K devices side by side using Netflix 4K content. One was outputting 4K and the other was set to output 1080p. Hooked up to 2 different HDMI inputs on my display, streaming the exact same content simultaneously, I didn’t see any advantage to using 4K on my Sony 4K OLED.

But that’s just me. YMMV of course and some people sit closer, have better vision than I do, etc., but at ~10 feet from my 65” OLED I saw no discernible difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jkozlow3; 01-26-2020 at 03:10 PM.
post #5424 of 5424 Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Not looking like it at this point. Still broken after 3 months.
That sucks, I was just wondering about this today. My fix has been to use a Fire TV Stick but would prefer to go back to using my ATV. Setting output to 1080p SDR only fixed the lip sync/stuttering for live TV, it still happened when watching recordings so wasn't really a fix for me.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page