DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2070Likes

post #5581 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
That was one of the the main reasons that stopped me from ditching ATTTVN for YTTV. If they have plans for it they are keeping mum, I couldn't find any info that they intend to have DD. One thing I really like about YTTV is the guide, you can choose which channels to see or not see like setting up favorites with ATTTVN, but you can also change the order of how the channels appear so you can have all your most watch channels right at the top. And the guide shows a thumbnail of live TV for each station. Yesterday I went to cancel my trial which ends next week so I wouldn't be billed, but they also had an 8 week pause option, which saves all of your settings and recordings, I chose that as I'm really thinking of switching again. Last night on ATTTVN I had recordings with lip sync, and the glitch with pulling up the guide (on the ATV4K) is just ridiculous at this point. There's really nothing on HBO for me atm so losing that and going with YTTV + Philo would be less money also.
Yeah I asked them several times about adding DD 5.1 and they just say yes they have plans to but no information when at this time. It's a joke, garbage cable has 5.1 sound since the late 90s I think.
Everything else is great but I would miss the gameshow network but that is just about all I would miss. I need 5.1 sound, it's 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah I asked them several times about adding DD 5.1 and they just say yes they have plans to but no information when at this time. It's a joke, garbage cable has 5.1 sound since the late 90s I think.
Everything else is great but I would miss the gameshow network but that is just about all I would miss. I need 5.1 sound, it's 2020.
Agree, most times it's not a big deal, but other times it really adds to the enjoyability (yeah I made that up) of a show. My preamp has a simulated DD surround mode that works pretty well but not the same as real 5.1 surround.
post #5583 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 3593
Quote:
Haha no way, it happens immediately for me if set to 4K SDR, and it still happens for recordings using 1080p SDR, but not all the time.
Have you applied the latest tvOS update (13.4.5 I believe)? I forgot to mention the new firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5584 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Have you applied the latest tvOS update (13.4.5 I believe)? I forgot to mention the new firmware
I'll have to check the fw, I haven't manually applied anything. I thought, from what people who contacted Apple and AT&T reported about the issue, the problem was with the ATTTVN app and not ATV?
post #5585 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll have to check the fw, I haven't manually applied anything. I thought, from what people who contacted Apple and AT&T reported about the issue, the problem was with the ATTTVN app and not ATV?
I have never thought it was limited to the ATT app as I had the same problem with the NHL.TV app.

In any case, it seems to be fixed for me but wanted to see if others were experiencing the same result.
post #5586 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have never thought it was limited to the ATT app as I had the same problem with the NHL.TV app.

In any case, it seems to be fixed for me but wanted to see if others were experiencing the same result.
I just upgraded the ATV4K FW, so far watching for just a few minutes it seems to be fixed, before it would become unwatchable right away using 4K SDR. The guide also worked properly, fingers crossed for that. If they finally fixed the lip sync/judder that would be so nice, I had been using the Amazon Fire TV Stick but that has problems with Netflix, so I'd be switching back and forth b/w them, and generally prefer the ATV even though the remote is horrible.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #5587 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just upgraded the ATV4K FW, so far watching for just a few minutes it seems to be fixed, before it would become unwatchable right away using 4K SDR. The guide also worked properly, fingers crossed for that. If they finally fixed the lip sync/judder that would be so nice, I had been using the Amazon Fire TV Stick but that has problems with Netflix, so I'd be switching back and forth b/w them, and generally prefer the ATV even though the remote is horrible.
If it's fixed, the best part is that I won't have to remember to switch back and forth if using the ATV for Netflix/Itunes/Vudu 4K HDR.
Egan likes this.
post #5588 of 5624 Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Have they fixed the problem on the client box concerning forced HDR, or some problem like that?

Jack
post #5589 of 5624 Old 05-27-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was too good to be true, lip sync issues again with ATV4K set to 4K SDR while watching recordings. And the guide bug also not fixed.
post #5590 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is AT&T Now offering HBO free? If so how long?

My account said this after my previous experience. 2nd Concurrency + 3 Concurrency + DVR 500 hours + Go Big + DVR 20 Hours

Now my account says this: 3 Concurrency + HBO + DVR 20 hours + DVR 500 hours + 2nd Concurrency + Go Big

It would be nice to catch up on some more "recent" movies. If/when it goes away I'd be fine.
post #5591 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Is AT&T Now offering HBO free? If so how long?

My account said this after my previous experience. 2nd Concurrency + 3 Concurrency + DVR 500 hours + Go Big + DVR 20 Hours

Now my account says this: 3 Concurrency + HBO + DVR 20 hours + DVR 500 hours + 2nd Concurrency + Go Big

It would be nice to catch up on some more "recent" movies. If/when it goes away I'd be fine.
I was already an HBO sub and don't see anything about getting it free now, but out of curiosity I went to HBO Max and was able to sign in using my ATTTVN account, so I guess they're throwing that in for us. Nothing I want to especially watch there atm though.
post #5592 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was already an HBO sub and don't see anything about getting it free now, but out of curiosity I went to HBO Max and was able to sign in using my ATTTVN account, so I guess they're throwing that in for us. Nothing I want to especially watch there atm though.
This is what I found. I see free, paid, trials, and a whole lot of talk. Maybe you can decode all the gibberish for me.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/hbo-max-...-friends-elmo/
https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-li...-shows-movies/

Is it a free trial?
Who gets it? For how long?
Do I need to cancel the trial myself or will it turnoff?

What will be monthly cost if kept?
post #5593 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Was too good to be true, lip sync issues again with ATV4K set to 4K SDR while watching recordings. And the guide bug also not fixed.
I am not getting audio sync issues with Live TV or recordings. Are you getting sync issues with Live TV as well? Does the sync issue start immediately when watching recordings?

Quote:
HBO is switching standard HBO subs to Max at no additional cost. Not sure about a trial for AT&T TV customers.
post #5594 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am not getting audio sync issues with Live TV or recordings. Are you getting sync issues with Live TV as well? Does the sync issue start immediately when watching recordings?
I never saw lip sync watching live since the update, only on recordings, and not all recordings. It starts sometime during the recording not immediately. When it happened last night I went out of the app and changed the setting in the ATV4K back to 1080p SDR, went back into the app and started watching the same recording and the lip sync was still there, it only went back to normal after switching to live TV then back into the recording.
post #5595 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
This is what I found. I see free, paid, trials, and a whole lot of talk. Maybe you can decode all the gibberish for me.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/hbo-max-...-friends-elmo/
https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-li...-shows-movies/

Is it a free trial?
Who gets it? For how long?
Do I need to cancel the trial myself or will it turnoff?

What will be monthly cost if kept?
From the horse's mouth:
https://about.att.com/story/2020/hbo...es_may_27.html

So could be 3 months, could be a year. No mention of grandfathered NOW subs. But with your stellar luck I wouldn't be surprised if you got it free forever.

Personally I don't get the appeal. Paying extra for a bunch of old Friends re-runs? I'll pass. I guess people are so starved for entertainment right now, they'll subscribe to anything.
post #5596 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
From the horse's mouth:

So could be 3 months, could be a year. No mention of grandfathered NOW subs. But with your stellar luck I wouldn't be surprised if you got it free forever.

Personally I don't get the appeal. Paying extra for a bunch of old Friends re-runs? I'll pass. I guess people are so starved for entertainment right now, they'll subscribe to anything.

Well after a bit of a confusing chat, I managed to get it sorted out.

My service of: [3 Concurrency + DVR 20 hours + DVR 500 hours + 2nd Concurrency + Go Big] was a two week promo I got from the supervisor.

Yesterday AT&TNow added HBO to the mix. That's why it is now showing: 3 Concurrency + HBO + DVR 20 hours + DVR 500 hours + 2nd Concurrency + Go Big

The new HBO promo lasts until Sept 21, 2020. Well in my case, YMMV. After Sept 21, 2020 my account will go back to: DVR 20 hours + Go Big for $85

It would have been nice to have it stated up front, instead of having to go pulling teeth to find out.
post #5597 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
From the horse's mouth:

They have some other things besides Friends but nothing that appeals to me, the best things are still what you would have gotten with plain HBO. But they have stuff in the pipeline like the Dune TV series that I will definitely want to watch when it comes out. And you're not paying extra, it's the same price as subbing to HBO or HBO Now.
post #5598 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So here is a funny story. I have HBO free because of my AT&T phone plan. I get Showtime free because I have AT&T watch but it was also on AT&T TV Now. I've had Showtime free since I started the service a year or so ago. The other day it of course disappeared from AT&T TV Now. I go on and chat, they say oh huh, you should have it. It will be restored in a few hours. And of course nothing.
Go on the chat again and they say huh, you should have it. It will be restored in a few hours. And.... Nothing
Go on and chat again, this time very, very pissed off. They have a "supervisor" come on and say I'm sorry but you deleted it from your account. I never did that. They first time I logged in a long time was when Showtime disappeared. I argue and he insists that I went into my account and deleted.
I say to the guy, why would someone go into their account and remove something that is free? He just kept saying I removed it.
I asked him to restore it and he says I cannot do that now. I said I am supposed to have it and he says yes but I can't restore it now once you removed it. I said does that make any sense and no answer. I then blew my stack.
Very strange story right? I know I didn't remove it and don't know why I would remove it.

post #5599 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just received an email from AT&T notifying me I can now access HBO Max through my grandfathered plan, no mention of any expiration date. Even though HBO Max is a big yawn right now it's definitely a feather in AT&T's cap that they can offer this to their HBO subs for $5/month.
Dmon4u and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #5600 of 5624 Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just received an email from AT&T notifying me I can now access HBO Max through my grandfathered plan, no mention of any expiration date. Even though HBO Max is a big yawn right now it's definitely a feather in AT&T's cap that they can offer this to their HBO subs for $5/month.
I got the same email. No way I'd pay for HBO Max but free looks good. It's got an insane amount of content. Really actually surprised me.

post #5601 of 5624 Old 05-29-2020, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I got the same email. No way I'd pay for HBO Max but free looks good. It's got an insane amount of content. Really actually surprised me.
I've haven't had HBO/Showtime/Cinemax for almost 20yrs. It was nice when it started out with 3 channels. Then they expanded to three channels of HBO, which was ok. But when it got to be like 14 channels of each, and half being 3hr delay channels, that was nuts. The price of the channels exploded.

Free is free, so I'm catching up on all I can. But it's not worth the extra cost IMHO. There is thousands of movies & shows to watch besides the brand new stuff.
The first movie I watched on HBO after almost 20years was Aquaman. It was good, but I could have been just as happy to watch it on a cable channel like TBS/TNT.
post #5602 of 5624 Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Imma 'grandfathered' subscriber and on HBO Max (FREE) the show "2019 Rock n Roll hall of Fame Induction Ceremony" looks great on my 2010 Sammy 1080P HDTV and my 2012 Pioneer 1122K reports Dolby Digital+ 5.1 surround sound!!
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #5603 of 5624 Old 06-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The first movie I watched on HBO after almost 20years was Aquaman. It was good, but I could have been just as happy to watch it on a cable channel like TBS/TNT.

I can barely watch any movies on those channels any more, especially action titles. Too much compression and stuttering.

Last edited by lockheede; 06-01-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Deleted a bracket
post #5604 of 5624 Old 06-01-2020, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheede View Post
I can barely watch any movies on those channels any more, especially action titles. Too much compression and stuttering.
I'm not going to spring $20 for a movie ticket or DVD for any possible dud. The lesser of the evils are cable channels.

I try to stick with FX, FXX, FXM, SundanceTV, IFC when possible.
post #5605 of 5624 Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheede View Post
And those channels usually give a quick disclaimer at the beginning stating the movie has been edited for content and/or time.
post #5606 of 5624 Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

For anybody using a ROKU, how is working for you? Are there any real improvements for the ATTNow service?

The last time I used the ROKU for it, the only improvement I seen was the FF/RW stills. Other than that it has nothing on AMFTV or Chrome.
post #5607 of 5624 Old 06-04-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 4403
They're up to something, I pay for Cinemax but not HBO on my grandfathered AT&T Now. I've used HBO Now since it's beginning so I never had it on AT&T Now. I noticed last night that the HBO linear channels were active in the guide and they play when you select one. I never got an email about it. (There was free HBO back in April for awhile) Nothing else changed still 20 hr. dvr. This is on an Apple TV 4. My transition from HBO Now to HBO Max was flawless too.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5608 of 5624 Old 06-04-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 4403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
They're up to something, I pay for Cinemax but not HBO on my grandfathered AT&T Now. I've used HBO Now since it's beginning so I never had it on AT&T Now. I noticed last night that the HBO linear channels were active in the guide and they play when you select one. I never got an email about it. (There was free HBO back in April for awhile) Nothing else changed still 20 hr. dvr. This is on an Apple TV 4. My transition from HBO Now to HBO Max was flawless too.
Just got an email, it's tied to the free HBO Max promotion, the small print basically says it's three months and all HBO is activated during that time including linear channels on AT&T Now. Mystery solved..

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5609 of 5624 Old 06-05-2020, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Just got an email, it's tied to the free HBO Max promotion, the small print basically says it's three months and all HBO is activated during that time including linear channels on AT&T Now. Mystery solved..
Yes it's a free promo, I've been catching up on movies fast. Once the promo is over, back to wait till they come out. I don't need HBO that much, I'd rather spend the money on something else.
post #5610 of 5624 Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it's a free promo, I've been catching up on movies fast. Once the promo is over, back to wait till they come out. I don't need HBO that much, I'd rather spend the money on something else.
I was curious if I could get any type of refund from AT&T since I had already been paying for HBO, and now they're giving HBO Max away free for 3 months, so I went on chat and was able to get the HBO fee refunded for 3 months, I actually didn't expect them to do that, chat guy had to ask his supervisor. I asked if HBO Max was going up to $15/month after the promotion and he said not for me since I already was an HBO subscriber. So I guess I have to take back what I said before if they're going to charge the going rate of $15/month for HBO Max after the promotion. You don't even need a streaming service to get it at that price. Too bad, since they already own HBO it could have been a perk they could offer current and new subscribers that no other streaming service does.
IN2tvClassics likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page