DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1780Likes

post #781 of 5017 Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Good to know about using the ATV 4K, just received mine today from the sign up deal. Anyone here using the beta DVR? How is it working out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Lots of reports on Reddit about it. As expected it’s a mixed bag. They are making improvements from what I can see, but sometimes it’s hard to tell if the problems are related to the beta or the user.
I'm on the Beta. Recordings look good but lack the ability to FF/REW except at one fixed speed. No way to jump to a specific point in the program. Also no listing of scheduled recordings that are pending. The guide on ATV 4K reverts back to all channels instead of staying on the Favorites view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 5017 Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I'm on the Beta. Recordings look good but lack the ability to FF/REW except at one fixed speed. No way to jump to a specific point in the program. Also no listing of scheduled recordings that are pending. The guide on ATV 4K reverts back to all channels instead of staying on the Favorites view.

I have heard that about the beta (guide issue). Hopefully they fix that before going live since in the prod app it works as it should.
post #783 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Hopefully it will be more functional for the full roll out. Seems like all the streaming services have one issue or another with their cloud DVRs. I will almost definitely go back to DTV after the 4 prepaid months are up, their physical DVR is one thing I really like. Just don't love the expense. I'll probably continue to suspend service every so often to save some money and use a streaming service.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdeal13 View Post
the problem with DTVNow the picture quality changes all the time from good to really bad (bitrate change). And it's not my internet connection. My internet connection is stable at 300 mbps. Anyone else has the same problem and complained to DTV?

Thank you
I am on a free month trial and thus far Directv Now has not been a good experience. Last evening and this morning, picture quality has been terrible (bitrate change) and it drops out and restarts on various Directv Now channels. Switched to Netflix, Hulu and some other apps and no issues. Also, I have WNBC from NY and WCAU from Philly and when I go to the guide to get WCAU, I get WNBC. Requested that they fix this about a week ago and it still does not work right. I had Directv Satellite years ago and dropped them because of poor service and video issues. I guess things have not changed with them.
post #785 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is Apple TV 4K much more stable than Roku Premier? I used Roku and it was so terrible that I might end up canceling it. I used Fire TV and Premier so should I switched to Apple if the picture is much more stable? Being subscriber since launch day so I am ready to make the switch.
post #786 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I hooked up a new ATV4K the other day and watched some of the 49er game yesterday on CBS and thought it looked exceptionally good, it seemed like a much cleaner image than the other services I've tried.
It really seems hit and miss with people. Ive never had an issue with picture quality.
post #787 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
I am on a free month trial and thus far Directv Now has not been a good experience. Last evening and this morning, picture quality has been terrible (bitrate change) and it drops out and restarts on various Directv Now channels. Switched to Netflix, Hulu and some other apps and no issues. Also, I have WNBC from NY and WCAU from Philly and when I go to the guide to get WCAU, I get WNBC. Requested that they fix this about a week ago and it still does not work right. I had Directv Satellite years ago and dropped them because of poor service and video issues. I guess things have not changed with them.
Last night was terrible for me too here in Iowa. I am a stay at home dad and notice a change at night time more. I don't think DTVN can handle all the extra traffic the nights bring. That is definitely when I see more fluctuations in quality. Some channels seem to perform better than others. I have noticed that the travel channel is one of the worst offenders when it comes to degrading.

PSN: amays32
post #788 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post
Last night was terrible for me too here in Iowa. I am a stay at home dad and notice a change at night time more. I don't think DTVN can handle all the extra traffic the nights bring. That is definitely when I see more fluctuations in quality. Some channels seem to perform better than others. I have noticed that the travel channel is one of the worst offenders when it comes to degrading.
God point! I would definitely not pay if hat is the service I will be experiencing.

I am going to do a free trial with PS Vue see if this will work better.
post #789 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
God point! I would definitely not pay if hat is the service I will be experiencing.

I am going to do a free trial with PS Vue see if this will work better.
I had a smoother experience with PS VUE but needed Nick Jr for my kids. Once this month plays out I might switch back to PS Vue and just tell my kids sorry!

PSN: amays32
post #790 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:

I didn’t have any issues last night personally. I watched MNF without any issues as well as a couple of other channels. I use the ATV4K with Cox Internet. I haven’t had any drops or degraded quality (that wasn’t source related). Are there certain channels/times maybe I can check out a couple (now or later) to see if I’m experiencing the same issues.
post #791 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 5456 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
ATV has always been the most stable platform IMO. Roku has been great for us. But all of our Rokus are Roku 3s and a 1080p stick (new one from last Xmas).

Our Internet is only 70Mbps down. But we have everything hardwired with Ethernet, no WiFi. If you are using WiFi, expect spotty performance.
post #792 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Is anyone experiencing pausing issues while streaming with Chrome on your PC?

Since yesterday I have been having issues with the stream pausing randomly. It happens at different intervals. Sometimes it could happen once or twice in an hour or two.
But there are times when it happens within minutes. I close & reopen the stream to correct the issue. That doesn't always work.

Times & Channel Streams doesn't seem to matter.

Any ideas on what's causing this?
post #793 of 5017 Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver5liter View Post
It really seems hit and miss with people. Ive never had an issue with picture quality.
It's just a guess, but different experiences with image quality might have to do in part with different CDNs in different locations depending on where one resides.
Ph8te and dmatch like this.
post #794 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
So, i wanted to ask you guys about DTV NOW as a long time (20years +) DTV subscriber. Like many of you, me and the wife just dont watch that much TV anymore. Kids are happy with Netflix etc.

I know what i'd be missing by getting rid of DTV and moving to DTV Now. Looks like DVR, NFL Network and Golf Channel. But what i'd be gaining is about $60 /month. That is significant.

That being said, whats the deal with picture quality, sound and reliability? When you make the transition, is it pretty seamless? Can the wife watch her shows (Madam Secretary, Voice etc). From what i see, it looks that way.

I have read through the thread and it looks like the experience varies. I have a good quality internet connection.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!
post #795 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 117
@ChicagoChris at this point, DTVN has worked out most of the bugs and it's pretty stable. Picture quality is good, I miss 5.1 sound but can live without it. DVR will be added early next year. You can use your DTVN credentials to access a lot (but not all) of the networks' TV Anywhere apps. It's a good product imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #796 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
So, i wanted to ask you guys about DTV NOW as a long time (20years +) DTV subscriber. Like many of you, me and the wife just dont watch that much TV anymore. Kids are happy with Netflix etc.

I know what i'd be missing by getting rid of DTV and moving to DTV Now. Looks like DVR, NFL Network and Golf Channel. But what i'd be gaining is about $60 /month. That is significant.

That being said, whats the deal with picture quality, sound and reliability? When you make the transition, is it pretty seamless? Can the wife watch her shows (Madam Secretary, Voice etc). From what i see, it looks that way.

I have read through the thread and it looks like the experience varies. I have a good quality internet connection.

Careful with the locals. They don't have locals in all the same areas as DTV yet. You'd have to get an OTA antenna for those.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #797 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:

The lack of DVR is a significant issue for my family. We are not always around to watch live TV and many are not available on demand. Also, most of the other providers YouTube Live TV, Sling, PS Vue, Hulu TV do have cloud DVR some with better quality than DTVNow. DTVNow has been promising DVR to be in production (out of beta) for a long long time but it?s not here yet. I?d pick one that has the channels, price and features you care most about now.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #798 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I have cable currently and the picture quality is much better on cable than Directv Now Also, you get 5.1 surround vs stereo on Directv Now. I have Directv Now on a month's trial and thus far have net been satisfied with the service. In my case there seems to be problems during evening hours with buffering and degraded picture resolution. I know it is their app because I don't experience this problem with Netflix, Hulu and other apps. Also, I have an issue with the guide, I am able to get NY and Philly networks, the guide has WNBC (NY) and WCAU (Philly) and when I go to WCAU I get WNBC. So I get WNBC twice instead of WCAU. All other NY/Philly networks work fine. I have spoken with Directv Now about this a week ago and it still has not been fixed. I am going to do PS Vue on a trial (which also has a cloud DVR) and see how that goes. The one thing I do like about Directv Now is the channel selection vs any of the other streaming services, but with the quality I get right now it does me no good if it is unwatchable.
post #799 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I have tried pretty much all of the services at this point and have stuck with DirecTV Now because of the channel lineup. I have found that with the new ATV4K my picture is better(more stable) than it was with a Roku Premiere+. I complained during the MLB playoffs about terrible picture quality but seemed to be in the minority around this forum. After buying the apple tv things have been pretty steady but do see the picture quality change(downgrade) from time to time, just not for extended periods like before. I have 200 mbps internet and have no problems streaming 4k hdr. DTVN seems to be the only app that has trouble maintaining a quality stream.
Last night I experienced the PQ instability on the Roku that others have been reporting (including intermittent freezing). It was very noticeable watching the basketball game on NBATV. It was even more problematic on the gen1 Chromecast. Gen2 Chromecast & Ultra was better whike ATV4 was the best. I watched the same game replayed this morning and the PQ was excellent.

I do think it has something to do with the time of day. Most of the county is asleep when "prime-time" starts for us on the West Coast. I believe the buffering capability on various devices affects the performance during these peak hours. No streaming devices can compare to the buffer size available on the ATV (not until they make D*Now available for Xbox One and Android TV). I wonder if maintaining compatibility with the older Rokus prevents the app from taking advantage of the enhanced capabilities of the 4k Rokus?
post #800 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just to add another experience... I signed up for 4 months of DTVN to get the Apple TV 4K. I went with the lowest package because it was cheapest. I have been pleased with the picture quality (better than Cox cable for the most part) and reliability (haven't noticed too much instability or dropouts). I haven't used it as my primary content source because I still have cable (50%) and Amazon Prime / Netflix (40%). However, for me to continue my service rather than swap back to PS Vue, they'd have to get their DVR working. Not having a DVR is a no-go.

Sony XBR-65X930E | NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Apple TV 4K | Samsung BD-P1600
Yamaha TSR-7810 | Energy C-100 / Energy C-C100 / Energy S10.3 / Polk RC60i
Logitech Harmony 950 / Smart Control w/ Harmony Hub
post #801 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I switched from Directv satellite to DTV Now about a year ago. DTV Now looks great when its working properly but on occasion the resolution will suffer temporarily. The DVR is in beta, and does the job as far as I'm concerned. I don't miss the 5.1 sound, cable/satellite 5.1 surround is so heavily compressed that it is a bit of a joke IMO. DTV Now seems to look best on an Apple TV 4th gen or 4K gen vs Roku/Fire TV
post #802 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, i wanted to ask you guys about DTV NOW as a long time (20years +) DTV subscriber...
Quote:
DTV Now seems to look best on an Apple TV 4th gen or 4K gen vs Roku/Fire TV
If you decide to give DirecTV Now a try you may want to take advantage of the free Apple 4K TV offer which is good through the end of the year. It's free for prepaying for 4 months, which comes out to $140 for the least expensive package, the ATV itself cost $179. As PlanetAVS noted you may get the best streaming experience with it. I just received mine Monday and it is far superior to the Fire TV Stick I had been using.
Ph8te and PlanetAVS like this.

Sony 65A1E
post #803 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
If you decide to give DirecTV Now a try you may want to take advantage of the free Apple 4K TV offer which is good through the end of the year. It's free for prepaying for 4 months, which comes out to $140 for the least expensive package, the ATV itself cost $179. As PlanetAVS noted you may get the best streaming experience with it. I just received mine Monday and it is far superior to the Fire TV Stick I had been using.

Thanks all. Going to try dtv now for a week and see what the experience is. Agreed, they won't get mass adoption till that DVR is rolled out and you know they'll charge for it. Most people are not going to want to give up DVR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #804 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
+1 to the ATV 4K promo. It's a great price for a good device, and to get 4 months of DTV Now service is a bonus. The ATV4K opens up the door to a lot of other benefits as well (Dolby Vision streaming if you don't already have access to it, free 4K Itunes upgrades from HD Itunes purchases/HD code redemptions). And the device is the best streamer of DTV Now.
post #805 of 5017 Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Wish they would make VOD work better.

Example: I missed the start of Major Crimes.
* If I recall the timeline....

It took nearly three weeks to get the first episode.
Then after a week they had the first three.
A week later they all disappeared.
The next week episodes 5 and up appeared.
* Episode #4 never was available up till this point. It was skipped completely.
I have not checked recently......

TNT App not available yet for dNow...
FrankJ.Cone likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !

Last edited by Dmon4u; 12-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
post #806 of 5017 Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Some channels for DTVN are doing [email protected] (at least on the beta). I’ve never run into the issues you have in the 2 weeks I’ve been testing thus far. Could always have to do with ISP and service as I see remarks about both services similar to yours.
What fps rate does cable come thru at? or satellite services?
post #807 of 5017 Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
What fps rate does cable come thru at? or satellite services?
480i30, 720p60, and 1080i30
post #808 of 5017 Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
Wish they would make VOD work better.

Example: I missed the start of Major Crimes.
* If I recall the timeline....

It took nearly three weeks to get the first episode.
Then after a week they had the first three.
A week later they all disappeared.
The next week episodes 5 and up appeared.
* Episode #4 never was available up till this point. It was skipped completely.
I have not checked recently......

TNT App not available yet for dNow...
I agree, however I have had good success using the chat and getting VoD for the shows we watch fixed.
post #809 of 5017 Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:
+1 to the ATV 4K promo. It's a great price for a good device, and to get 4 months of DTV Now service is a bonus. The ATV4K opens up the door to a lot of other benefits as well (Dolby Vision streaming if you don't already have access to it, free 4K Itunes upgrades from HD Itunes purchases/HD code redemptions). And the device is the best streamer of DTV Now.
If you go the Free Apple tv device, go to and AT&T store and walk away with it
post #810 of 5017 Old 12-23-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Today is my first day using just DirecTV Now with the Apple 4K after putting my regular DTV on suspension for 4 months. I definitely miss the DVR, even for little things like being able to rewind a program a little if I missed something. Picture quality is good but not quite as good as DirecTV satellite. Navigating the guide is a little frustrating, can't just jump from one channel to another by putting in a channel number etc. And I wish it was in a loop so if you're at the bottom you can go right to the top by continuing to scroll instead of having to go all the way through the guide channels again to get to the top. Also miss the 12 hour skip ahead or jumping to a specific date and time. The suspend process was very easy it was all automated over the phone, you just specify a resume date longer than 30 days and less than 6 months. Without the DVR I'll definitely be using channel apps to watch shows I can't record. Still, quite an amazing deal for a free ATV 4K and saving over $300 to boot.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page