DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1546Likes

post #61 of 4552 Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Aaaaaaaaaaand no sooner do I post that DirecTV Now is flawless on my 2nd-gen Fire TV, DirecTV Now starts pausing and buffering on my 2nd-gen Fire TV.
reddice likes this.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4552 Old 12-06-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
DirecTV Now works flawlessly on my 2nd-gen Fire TV through ethernet. But on my 1st-gen Fire TV through wi-fi, I get this a lot:

[IMG][/IMG]

Usually when I hit refresh, things straighten out and play fine.

AFTV News says that's often a result of DirecTV Now being incompatible with rooted Fire TV's, but mine is NOT rooted.
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...d-Dolby-sound-

Do you get surround sound off it? According to DirecTV it does, but I'm beginning to think it's not true. We should be able to get surround sound off of on demand content at least. From what I've been reading on Reddit it only works on the Apple TV. Could be a case of false advertising here.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #63 of 4552 Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm getting plain ol' stereo from the on demand content (tried it with Avatar and The Expanse), and my receiver's Pro Logic expands it into surround sound. But what I'm getting from DirecTV Now is definitely not 5.1 channel, it's strictly 2.0.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 4552 Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
I'm getting plain ol' stereo from the on demand content (tried it with Avatar and The Expanse), and my receiver's Pro Logic expands it into surround sound. But what I'm getting from DirecTV Now is definitely not 5.1 channel, it's strictly 2.0.
Quote:
Plus, DIRECTV NOW streams Video On Demand content in Dolby Digital 5.1 on Amazon Fire and Apple TV devices.
Then this would be a case of false advertising. Not a good start. I don't plan on sticking with them- I bought into it specifically because they advertised DD5.1 support on Fire TV devices. They clearly lied.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #65 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I opted for the 7-day trial instead of the free device offer, since Roku is not yet a supported device. I loaded the DirecTV Now app onto my Vizio tablet and Android phone. When casting from my tablet or phone, the video freezes after 15 seconds then cycles into a continuous loop from the original starting point. This is very annoying and should not have happened with the release, since Chromecast is listed as a supported device. I am able to mirror cast from my desktop PC, however this is not the method I prefer. I like the channel guide, although it still needs some work. Picture quality is very good and I have seen buffering only a handful of times using 30Mbps ethernet. I'm getting 113 channels with the Go Big Plan as compared to 63 channels with the PSVue Core Plan for the same $35/month price. I will likely cancel my PSVue account and switch to DirecTV Now later this week. I am hopeful the casting issues are fixed soon and the Roku Premiere+ or Ultra players will provide a stable streaming platform while utilizing the advantages of 4K and HDR. I also hope they include the channel guide with Roku. I am not a fan of the typical Roku app user interface (PlutoTV has a good channel guide with their Roku app, but most apps still use the tiles). After using SlingTV and PSVue, I really want DirecTV Now to be the solution I've been looking for, just hope they get these issues fixed sooner rather than later.

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #66 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 122
So far, I have not found one of the Tv Network Apps on Roku that work with this Service.

The VOD on dNow is typically limited to a few episodes. The Network Apps on Roku can typically provide all episodes plus some back years.

They seem to be the only Service with no connection to the Roku Apps.

Update... with the new appletv, acquired, I found the hbogo and the watchdisneyxd app works

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !

Last edited by Dmon4u; 12-07-2016 at 04:00 PM.
post #67 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I signed up for the Directv Now 3 months in Advance plan today. Currently, I'm using and was loving my package with PSVue until I tried to watch a hockey game on a local channel one day last week and received this notice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1815665  
post #68 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Im suddenly getting a large number of VOD that says Im not Subscibed to the channel.

Stupidly this has wiped out all the big three... ABC, NBC and FOX.
And, of my favorite others ( FX, TNT and USA ), only USA still works.

post #69 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I signed up for the Directv Now 3 months in Advance plan today. Currently, I'm using and was loving my package with PSVue until I tried to watch a hockey game on a local channel one day last week and received this notice:
Which local channel was it ? With Sling we can stream Fox sports channels and NBC sports net with no problem for hockey games.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #70 of 4552 Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Which local channel was it ? With Sling we can stream Fox sports channels and NBC sports net with no problem for hockey games.
I'm in Southern California. Normally, I watch the Anaheim Ducks on either Fox Sports West or Fox Sports Prime. Besides NBC Sports and the NHL network (which I get now with DIRECTV Now but not PS Vue) channels, they sometimes show a game on our local Fox channel. When I saw the above attached image, I was happy to switch to DIRECTV Now. Time will tell if it will occur with them.
post #71 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
I'm in Southern California. Normally, I watch the Anaheim Ducks on either Fox Sports West or Fox Sports Prime. Besides NBC Sports and the NHL network (which I get now with DIRECTV Now but not PS Vue) channels, they sometimes show a game on our local Fox channel. When I saw the above attached image, I was happy to switch to DIRECTV Now. Time will tell if it will occur with them.
If the game was on channel 13, the cable channel might have been blacked out in the L.A. market. Last time 13 got a game I never checked the cable channel.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #72 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I signed up for both PS Vue and Direct TV Now this week, after using both I kept PS Vue and Dropped Direct TV Now, PS Vue is a much more mature product, the interface is easier to read and move around in, I like being able to save programs and have them easily found in my list, there is alot more Video on Demand available Now is scattershot with episodes, And i was getting the bug that i was not subscribed to the stuff in Now to view it. PS Vue also offered my Regional sports and news options.
post #73 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
PS Vue has some significant early mover advantages due to the fact that they have ironed out the early bugs, and they have a cloud DVR.

They had similar issues that DirectvNow is currently working through. With that said, I'm going to try PS Vue as well to compare, once Direct rolls out their Cloud DVR functionality.
wyelkins likes this.
post #74 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am not impressed with Directv Now thus far. The video kept freezing on me on FTV. They also blocked my local basketball games so I may switch to PS Vue again if they don't improved next month, which I was able to watched my basketball team played.
reddice likes this.
post #75 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If the game was on channel 13, the cable channel might have been blacked out in the L.A. market. Last time 13 got a game I never checked the cable channel.
My games for SoCal are never blocked within my region. There has to be a restriction with PS Vue. I've never had a problem in the past using cable or satellite.

So far, using a Fire TV Stick due to the Directv Now app being unavailable on the Roku, I'm not that happy with the picture over PS Vue. I'm giving them 3 months (maybe a bit longer because I really like the pricing/savings) to improve. I may be in the minority but I like the Directv Now interface a bit better than PS Vue but see there's room for improvement. I only record once in a while but the lady of the house records more. So, we hope they offer cloud base recording in the very near future. Also, I like the fact that I can use HBO Go. Now I can drop HBO Now.
post #76 of 4552 Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
My games for SoCal are never blocked within my region. There has to be a restriction with PS Vue. I've never had a problem in the past using cable or satellite.

So far, using a Fire TV Stick due to the Directv Now app being unavailable on the Roku, I'm not that happy with the picture over PS Vue. I'm giving them 3 months (maybe a bit longer because I really like the pricing/savings) to improve. I may be in the minority but I like the Directv Now interface a bit better than PS Vue but see there's room for improvement. I only record once in a while but the lady of the house records more. So, we hope they offer cloud base recording in the very near future. Also, I like the fact that I can use HBO Go. Now I can drop HBO Now.
Probably whats most important to me is picture quality. Are you saying Directv Now's picture quality is superior to Vue? I thought Vue's picture quality was pretty bad when I tried it.
post #77 of 4552 Old 12-09-2016, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5706
Vue's is actually quite good. Depends on the device, it looks better IMO on the Fire and Roku Ultra vs the PS4.

XBR65A8F / XBR65A1E
Oppo UDP-203 / Roku Ultra
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-500SA / FV15HP(2)
post #78 of 4552 Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks to me like DTVN's picture quality is a bit better than Vue's (at least on the few channels I've watched on both). However, the lack of DVR and the error messages I've been getting on my 1st-gen Fire TV will have me dropping DTVN at the end of my three months if they're not fixed by then. If I had to choose right now, I'd keep Vue and drop DTVN.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid me for it.

post #79 of 4552 Old 12-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Looks to me like DTVN's picture quality is a bit better than Vue's (at least on the few channels I've watched on both). However, the lack of DVR and the error messages I've been getting on my 1st-gen Fire TV will have me dropping DTVN at the end of my three months if they're not fixed by then. If I had to choose right now, I'd keep Vue and drop DTVN.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid me for it.
I don't have Vue yet but I have DTVNow in Apple TV 4. The PQ is pretty stunning. Definitely as good or better than my Directv HD. You should try the service on ATV4 if you can. Incredibly upgraded experience over any other device. DTVNow apparently made for ATV4 above all.

If they get Cloud DVR before my 3 months up, I'll be dropping my D* $140/mo subscription like a rock. This is closest thing to, as Apple says, "The Future of TV" I've ever seen.

My Tech: 70" Vizio M-Series | Apple TV 4 | Harmony Smart Control | Sonos Play1s in Stereo Pair | Echo Dot | Nest Thermostat & Protects | SkyBell HD | Simplisafe | Editor at streambuzz.net
post #80 of 4552 Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you that signed up for the 3-month service including an Apple TV, have you received your free Apple TV device yet? How long does it take? Where do they send it from? Hopefully, this will give me an idea how long it may take. Thanks!
post #81 of 4552 Old 12-09-2016, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
For those of you that signed up for the 3-month service including an Apple TV, have you received your free Apple TV device yet? How long does it take? Where do they send it from? Hopefully, this will give me an idea how long it may take. Thanks!
I got an email on Dec 6 with the shipping/tracking info and it will arrive on Dec 12. It was shipped from Milan, IL.
Perpendicular likes this.
post #82 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I wonder how many will drop the more expensive satellite offerings and go with streaming. I currently have the satellite service, and I might jump. I have 2 ATV's and I wont have to pay any leasing fees for their boxes anymore. Hopefully, the NFL package will be offered via streaming too.
I pulled the plug and subscribed $35 plus $5.00 HBO PLUS TAX that comes to $40.00 a month and that's with the understanding it will stay that price for as long as I don't cancel. so to answer your question I will cut back on the number of boxes and cancel my HBO.

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #83 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I pulled the plug and subscribed $35 plus $5.00 HBO PLUS TAX that comes to $40.00 a month and that's with the understanding it will stay that price for as long as I don't cancel. so to answer your question I will cut back on the number of boxes and cancel my HBO.
For satellite and cable subs who do not currently have DVR service, and who live in one of the seven markets (NYC, Chicago, LA, Philly, San Fran, Oakland, San Jose) that currently receive ABC, NBC, and FOX (no CBS yet but coming) this offering is a slam dunk, no brainer win right now.

The picture quality, sound and overall experience, especially on the Apple TV, is as impressive as what I'm getting from Directv with my $140/mo HD package.

However, for everyone else, including those who are currently using a DVR, the service will be found lacking. No access to local programming from within the DirectvNow program guide and no DVR functions are show stoppers.

The DVR functionality, according to reports, is coming. Apparently sometime next year.

The widespread availability of the big 4 networks, however, is a different issue and one that ALL streaming providers are scrambling to resolve. Cable and satellite providers encountered these exact same issues when they launched. Apple themselves have apparently been close to launching a $40/mo streaming service only to be stifled by network access pricing negotiations. The networks rely on these local carriage agreements for the bulk of their income, to the tune of over $8 billion annually.

However, SlingTV is about to drop a bombshell...

They are set to release an over the air HDTV tuner that they are calling "AirTV" that will allow users who have access to local OTA channels to pipe those channels into the SlingTV programming guide, effectively doing an end run on the network licensing issues.

If other streaming providers follow suit, DirectvNow, PS Vue and potentially Apple, it could be a major win for cord cutters nationwide - at least those who are close enough to metro areas that have TV towers.

And if that happens, the networks will likely try to stop it through the courts. However, I believe that the new administration, with their stated deregulation policies, will be on the side of the streaming services. As a consumer, I'm good with that.

We live in interesting times, it will be fun to watch as this is just getting started.

My Tech: 70" Vizio M-Series | Apple TV 4 | Harmony Smart Control | Sonos Play1s in Stereo Pair | Echo Dot | Nest Thermostat & Protects | SkyBell HD | Simplisafe | Editor at streambuzz.net

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-10-2016 at 06:28 AM.
post #84 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem with OTA is that many people are not capable of getting all their local channels.

For myself, I just get CBS rock steady. This is ironic because thats the channel thats mostly the missing from these Services.

Note: The error messages I had are now gone. Their new 72 hour rewind for shows is working well. If they get their connection to Network Apps expanded, the need for a DVR will diminish.
reddice likes this.

post #85 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
Probably whats most important to me is picture quality. Are you saying Directv Now's picture quality is superior to Vue? I thought Vue's picture quality was pretty bad when I tried it.
No. I'm saying the opposite. I view PS Vue via a Roku Stick and Directv Now via the Fire Stick. I will say, I haven't watched Directv Now much because I still have PS Vue for a few days before I stop my account but from what I saw when I watched DTV Now a bit yesterday that the picture was improved.
post #86 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I got an email on Dec 6 with the shipping/tracking info and it will arrive on Dec 12. It was shipped from Milan, IL.
Thanks! I'm going to assume you signed up with DTV Now on or around November 30th and that after the 7 days trial they shipped your Apple TV then.
post #87 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to assume you signed up with DTV Now on or around November 30th and that after the 7 days trial they shipped your Apple TV then.
I was wondering about that. So my fire stick will ship once my 7 day is completed, that will be Tuesday. I'm setting all this up in my den for now if all works out I'll eliminate one of my directv boxes and save me $7.00

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #88 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. I'm saying the opposite. I view PS Vue via a Roku Stick and Directv Now via the Fire Stick. I will say, I haven't watched Directv Now much because I still have PS Vue for a few days before I stop my account but from what I saw when I watched DTV Now a bit yesterday that the picture was improved.
Does your fire stick give you a strong clear picture or does it matter or is it more your internet connection.

post #89 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Does your fire stick give you a strong clear picture or does it matter or is it more your internet connection.
It could be but sure it isn't my internet. I have over 100 MBPS speed and using a Portal router. Some channels are worse than others. I'm not seeing this with PS Vue. Plus, I've never experienced any abnormalities while viewing tv shows via either app. I'll take some time to play around with DTV Now more this weekend and report back.
post #90 of 4552 Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
I signed up on Nov 30 for the 3 months as that's the only way to get the Apple TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page