DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2069Likes

post #121 of 5624 Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 151
My AppleTv came by fedex in two days after my order. I never got any email notice.

Still questioning why when you go to Favorites and pick a channel, you cant stay on your list when you change the channel (left or right). What nut thinks you want to go to the next channel in the alphabet ?

If you could deselect channels you dont want, that would be a big help.

If I'm missing something about this, let us all know.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5624 Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Yeah they're still refining this.

They really need a way to quickly toggle two channels, like you can with the Last Channel on remotes.

But you do kind of get recent channels on the bottom.

This is a first cut so maybe the UI will improve on the DirecTV app.

I don't know if Apple is allowing third-parties to get Siri support in their apps. That would be the ultimate, just speaking, "ESPN," "CNN," "HBO," etc.
post #123 of 5624 Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah they're still refining this.

They really need a way to quickly toggle two channels, like you can with the Last Channel on remotes.

But you do kind of get recent channels on the bottom.

This is a first cut so maybe the UI will improve on the DirecTV app.

I don't know if Apple is allowing third-parties to get Siri support in their apps. That would be the ultimate, just speaking, "ESPN," "CNN," "HBO," etc.
That's why I got the fire stick but Alexa only navigates around amazon not in the directv now app. As Siri I would assume does in Apple.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 5624 Old 12-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwigginton View Post
DirecTV Now app is not available on my Android TV Sony XBR-55X850D. I see that it is available in the normal play store, but not on Sony's Android TV yet, for now I am using my Apple TV. Hopefully it will be available soon.
Curious why you don't want to use Apple TV by default. From the short time I've spent with it, I rarely use anything else anymore. The siri remote's swipe pad takes some getting use to, but once you tame it, anything else just doesn't feel right. YMMV. It's also a learning remote that can control your XBR.

You should consider the Sony Vue 7 day trial. After only 3 days with it, hands down better than DTVNow and my DTV Satellite with Genie DVR.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-17-2016 at 06:30 PM.
post #125 of 5624 Old 12-17-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anybody watching this on a 4K TV?

Just curious how the upscaled picture looks, streaming through an Apple TV.
post #126 of 5624 Old 12-18-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post
Curious why you don't want to use Apple TV by default. From the short time I've spent with it, I rarely use anything else anymore. The siri remote's swipe pad takes some getting use to, but once you tame it, anything else just doesn't feel right. YMMV. It's also a learning remote that can control your XBR.

You should consider the Sony Vue 7 day trial. After only 3 days with it, hands down better than DTVNow and my DTV Satellite with Genie DVR.
Interesting! Although, not in the beginning, I've experienced the exact opposite with DTV Now versus PS Vue.

Quote:

I'm watching it on a LG 65" OLED. I use the ATV4 for Directv Now and HBO Go. I use Amazon Prime and Netflix via the TV's WebOS 3.0 Smart feature for 4K and HDR capability. Picture looks great!
post #127 of 5624 Old 12-18-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Interesting! Although, not in the beginning, I've experienced the exact opposite with DTV Now versus PS Vue
You don't find the thin VOD library and inability to time shift or set recordings a showstopper for DTVNow?

I'm assuming you are in a market where you get the local channels through DTVNow. Otherwise, if you are in an excluded market like mine (Bham, Al), you are totally dependent on the "day after live" VOD library, which is pretty much non existent. What they do have is impossible to scrub through commercials due to the klunky ff/rw controls.
post #128 of 5624 Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't find the thin VOD library and inability to time shift or set recordings a showstopper for DTVNow?

I'm assuming you are in a market where you get the local channels through DTVNow. Otherwise, if you are in an excluded market like mine (Bham, Al), you are totally dependent on the "day after live" VOD library, which is pretty much non existent. What they do have is impossible to scrub through commercials due to the klunky ff/rw controls.
True! I do live within the Los Angeles area and do receive the local channels. We'd like to record shows at some point but do not use that feature enough. Plus, I'm sure they'll add other features as time permits. I'll be patient until they offer DVR Cloud service but it's not a big deal since most of our viewing is via other apps. I'm saving $20.00 a month having DTV and HBO versus PS Vue and HBO. Saving $$$ is what matters to me so I have enough to put even more food on our table.
post #129 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Apple TV does a nice job of upscaling 720p channels to 1080p. My Vizio display further upscales to 4K, which is an excellent image for most channels. It's too bad Apple TV does not support 4k, as this would likely produce an image even better than I already get.

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #130 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe later next year. It will be two years since the Apple TV 4th gen. came out.
post #131 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Its pretty good, but I must confess I mostly don't use my Apple TV anymore. My FireTV or the apps on my Samsung KS8000 are much much better.
post #132 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
Apple TV does a nice job of upscaling 720p channels to 1080p. My Vizio display further upscales to 4K, which is an excellent image for most channels. It's too bad Apple TV does not support 4k, as this would likely produce an image even better than I already get.
Unless you are 3 feet from the TV, you will not be able to tell the difference in 4k and 1080p.

The net of it is that the human eye cannot differentiate between the two resolutions at normal viewing distances.

IMHO, HDR is the far more disruptive technology vs 4k.
post #133 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
Its pretty good, but I must confess I mostly don't use my Apple TV anymore. My FireTV or the apps on my Samsung KS8000 are much much better.
Which version of Apple TV do you own? I just received my new 4th gen Apple TV with the DirectvNow prepay offer and I'm extremely impressed with it (the Apple TV, not so much the DirectvNow service). I had an earlier version that wasn't that impressive compared to Roku. However, the new one, especially with the Siri remote, is a game changer for me.

I've decided to cancel my Directv subscription (I'm a 14 year subscriber) for the Apple TV based Sony Vue OTT service.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-19-2016 at 05:47 PM.
post #134 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Unless you are 3 feet from the TV, you will not be able to tell the difference in 4k and 1080p.

The net of it is that the human eye cannot differentiate between the two resolutions at normal viewing distances.

Agree completely. Can't see the difference in pixel count, but HDR on my set is amazing. That alone is worth the ticket price.
post #135 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Which version of Apple TV do you own? I just received my new 4th gen Apple TV with the DirectvNow prepay offer and I'm extremely impressed with it (the Apple TV, not so much the DirectvNow service). I had an earlier version that wasn't that impressive compared to Roku. However, the new one, especially with the Siri remote, is a game changer for me.

I've decided to cancel my Directv subscription (I'm a 14 year subscriber) for the Apple TV based Vue package.
I have the latest, 4th Gen, also. Before I upgraded my set to 4K / HDR it had become my primary steaming device over a FireTV stick and the [Vizio] TV apps. But with the Samsung TV, and because of the HDR capability, it just can't compete on picture quality. Ease of use and all-in-one-place yes but I haven't turned it on in the last 10 days.

I have DirecTVNOW on my FireTV [the 4K / HDR version that replaced my stick] and I watch it occasionally. I don't know if Vue is available; I should give it a try.
post #136 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
I have DirecTVNOW on my FireTV [the 4K / HDR version that replaced my stick] and I watch it occasionally. I don't know if Vue is available; I should give it a try.
From what I understand, the Amazon Fire TV offers 4K capability but does not have HDR capability because it lacks HDMI 2.0.
post #137 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
From what I understand, the Amazon Fire TV offers 4K capability but does not have HDR capability because it lacks HDMI 2.0.
You may be right. I loaded "Amazon Video" as an app onto my TV and may have confused the two. The app on the TV is definitely providing HDR.
post #138 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 05:56 PM

I've had the DTVNow service since it launched back on Nov 30th. I've had Directv service since 2002 and have always been an early adopter of everything they have offered, including the 5 tuner Genie DVR which I'm currently on my last month by contract.

I was hoping that DTVNow would be the answer to allow me to trade in my Genie for a streaming solution. However, although the PQ is steller, even compared to satellite, the functionality is just not on a par with what I'm able to do with the Genie. They say its coming, but thus far, the updates they've provided have been underwhelming and the day after live VOD library is non existent.

I'm holding out hope that they can deliver before my 3 months prepay period is up, because I really like the idea of a $40 monthly sub for 100 channels including HBO.

I decided to give Vue a try with their 7 day trial and I found that it's everything I was hoping DirectvNow would be. Their cloud DVR service is pretty incredible. Unlimited simultaneous recordings of all networks including HBO and Showtime.

So, for anyone considering a move, I would strongly suggest that you give the Vue service a try. I'm currently trialing their "Ultra" package which for me costs $55 a month and includes HBO and Showtime, and also allows me to login to those services "TV Everywhere" apps.

Right now, this is hands down the best value in the market, at least for me.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-19-2016 at 06:02 PM.
post #139 of 5624 Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any of you tried DTV Now on your AT&T mobile device? DTV advertises streaming on AT&T devices as "Data Free." Do you have to have a certain wireless package? Can you tether your phone and it still be Data Free?

Klipsch RB-61 (Fronts), Klipsch RC-52 (Center), Klipsch RS-42 (Surrounds)
SVS PC12 Plus
Denon X4400H
Vizio P75-F1
post #140 of 5624 Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 AM

Just got of the chat to disconnect my Directv satellite subscription at the end of the month. Going to go with PS Vue.

Interesting comment by the chat support rep near the end:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directv Chat Rep
Teikia H : I want to let you know that DIRECTV will always welcome you back with a great reconnect offer.
I'm sure they will!
post #141 of 5624 Old 12-20-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Tried watching Fox News for fifteen minutes and got several pauses while the blue rectangle did its thing.

Exited DirecTV Now and fired up Playstation Vue's stream of Fox News. Flawless for two hours now.
reddice likes this.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #142 of 5624 Old 12-21-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got free SlingTv with Walmart purchase.

Both systems are pretty crude. But, dNow has betterNmore channels for less. There are 6 channels I need, not on SlingTv.

Operation of the Apps is more confusing w SlingTv, with finding the channel or program you want feeling a bit odd. You just get a single line of channels to select. Free VOD is also so minimal that dNow seems vast.

One final word: I have the same problem with SlingTv as I had with sVue.... the entire picture is shifted up a little more than an inch making Sports an Financial info tickers at bottom of screen more annoying.

post #143 of 5624 Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
One final word: I have the same problem with SlingTv as I had with sVue.... the entire picture is shifted up a little more than an inch making Sports an Financial info tickers at bottom of screen more annoying.
What device were you using for Vue and why did you quit Vue for Sling or DTVNow?

Just curious b/c after having DTVNow for a few weeks now, I decided to try Vue on my new AT&T supplied Apple TV and its everything I was hoping DTVNow would be.

Pros
- Really great DVR
- Expansive "day after live" VOD selection
- Logins to major TVE apps like HBO Now, Watch ESPN and others
- Affordable package of 90+ channels, including HBO and Showtime all for $54 a month (a third of what I was paying for Directv satellite)

Cons
- Live TV Guide is an unusable mess (horizontal scrolling)
- No thumbnail previews when scrubbing through DVR and VOD content (FF/RW)

The only critical thing I'm lacking is live locals but until Sony rolls them out in my area, I'm going to use the HDHomeRun for that along with the "Channels" app in Apple TV. High WAF.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-21-2016 at 08:10 AM.
post #144 of 5624 Old 12-22-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have four Tv sets in three brands and use the new appletv, fireTv stick and Roku.

All had the shift problem. I became hyper sensitive that the tops of peoples heads were being cut off a little on many shows. I could check this by switching to regular FiOs that Im hanging onto till contract runs out end of month. dNow did not have this problem.

It should not take very long till those Network Apps come since regular DirecTv has access to them.

I also have the excellant TabloTv device for locals w Dvr.

Last edited by Dmon4u; 12-22-2016 at 06:37 AM.
post #145 of 5624 Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

You must be blind as a bat because if you can't tell the difference between any 1080i broadcast football game and any of the 4K Notre Dame football games on DirecTV this year your last name must be Magoo.
reddice likes this.
post #146 of 5624 Old 12-22-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Tried watching Fox News for fifteen minutes and got several pauses while the blue rectangle did its thing.

Exited DirecTV Now and fired up Playstation Vue's stream of Fox News. Flawless for two hours now.

For me, not being able to stream Fox News isn't only a non-issue, it could be seen as a nice feature. And I used to work for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #147 of 5624 Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I had thought about not naming the channel in my above post because there might be a snide comment about the content and having nothing to do with DTVN. Oh, well.

Anyway, my 1st-gen Fire TV has almost stopped showing error messages completely (along with no sound even when it was running okay otherwise most of the time).

It had been moved to the bedroom TV-only setup when I got a 2nd-gen FTV and a 4K TV in the family room and surround sound setup.

A few days ago, I went into Display & Sounds and changed the FTV from "Dolby Digital Plus (Auto)" to "Dolby Digital Off."

Not only has my disappearing sound problem gone away (expected), I almost entirely stopped getting error messages from DTVN (nice surprise)!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

Last edited by Robert Simandl; 12-23-2016 at 07:21 AM.
post #148 of 5624 Old 12-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
I had thought about not naming the channel in my above post because there might be a snide comment about the content and having nothing to do with DTVN. Oh, well.
To the contrary. There is a real sense that the ship is making a turn to clear waters and brighter skies. The making Great of America has already begun. It may just actually be ok to be a proud American again - and to speak one's mind.
Karnis2 likes this.

My Tech: 70" Vizio M-Series | Apple TV 4 | Harmony Smart Control | Sonos Play1s in Stereo Pair | Echo Dot | Nest Thermostat & Protects | SkyBell HD | Simplisafe | Editor at streambuzz.net

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-23-2016 at 04:55 PM.
post #149 of 5624 Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
You must be blind as a bat because if you can't tell the difference between any 1080i broadcast football game and any of the 4K Notre Dame football games on DirecTV this year your last name must be Magoo.
I think settings have to do with it. Some might compare with dynamic or cinema, standard mode. Although stores use only dynamic mode.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #150 of 5624 Old 12-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
The difference is clear as day with the 4K DTV ND games because they use a mix of 4k & 1080 cameras...the wide field shots are always 4K. The "wire" camera is 1080. Some of the sideline cameras too. I was showing an old buddy of mine the replay of ND vs Duke I keep for demo purposes, and even he was commenting as the changed shots..."that's 1080...oh, THAT'S 4k". Maybe with streaming services and blu rays there isn't an apparent difference with 1080p & 4K, but having seen several live sporting events such as the NBC 4K ND package, live baseball, basketball & the recent Garth Brooks at Yankee Stadium concert on the DTV 4K Live channel, it's very impressive. Most noticeable is the level of detail on football games on wide field shots...seeing the names clearly on the backs of jerseys at that distance something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page