DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1821Likes

post #2401 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
I see the iPhone app was updated to version 2.0.4. I’m at work so I’m wondering if the Apple TV app was updated too? Praying the random black screen issue might be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the Apple TV app was updated too! I’ll check FTV later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
brotony likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
is it me or is the audio quality on direct tv now crap? Volume seems to be all over the place.
This seems to be a common complaint since the app went from beta.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #2403 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
If I can get all that stuff, plus lots more, on-demand via OTT services, then why fool with something like DTV Now or PS Vue?
Aggregation and price. That much balkanization of entertainment, with everybody having their own individual portal, is both expensive and inconvenient. Customers don't like that combination.

They tried the same thing with movies. Every studio had their own digital movie portal. Where are paramountmovies.com and sonypicturestore.com today? Customers preferred buying from iTunes and Vudu. Locking 4k content into Sony Pictures Store and Sony Televisions didn't do much to raise the fortunes of their portal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
Aggregation and price. That much balkanization of entertainment, with everybody having their own individual portal, is both expensive and inconvenient. Customers don't like that combination.

They tried the same thing with movies. Every studio had their own digital movie portal. Where are paramountmovies.com and sonypicturestore.com today? Customers preferred buying from iTunes and Vudu. Locking 4k content into Sony Pictures Store and Sony Televisions didn't do much to raise the fortunes of their portal.
What you don't understand is that the same way that Apple (iTunes) aggregated movie content from every studio, Apple will also aggregate content from all these various streaming services into a unified UI and watch list, with aggregated billing if the consumer wants it. In fact, they're already doing this with their TV app on Apple TV, iPhone and iPad.

Meanwhile, Google is trying to do something similar with their new home screen for Android TV.
post #2405 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
My first world cup match and recording for it went great

dan4081 likes this.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #2406 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Don't want to curse it but this is the first night in a while that I haven't buffered even once (yet).

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #2407 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
Don't want to curse it but this is the first night in a while that I haven't buffered even once (yet).

Same here but you just jinxed it. It’s the technological equivalent of saying “traffic is pretty good on the 405 freeway today” (local California joke).

On another note, FireTV updated to the latest version too and as an added plus works both on the Shield and Sony Android TV!

dan4081 likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2408 of 5096 Old 06-15-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3070 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
...FireTV updated to the latest version too and as an added plus works both on the Shield and Sony Android TV!
Can you please post a link to the apk you used on your Shield?
Thanks
post #2409 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Can you please post a link to the apk you used on your Shield?

Thanks

I pulled the apk from my FireTV which is version 2.0.11.03231. In order to get that to work you may need to install the Amazon Store apk (it sometimes looks for that when you sideload Amazon apps). I did see and download the same version number on apkmirror.com but it was a different file size and I couldn’t tell if it was for arm8 or not so I used the FTV version because I know that’s arm8. Here’s the link to the one I didn’t use.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/att-se...-apk-download/

Mike
post #2410 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
The only way I'd go that high is if I can get significant live 4k HDR content. And really, that had better include the NFL.
Yep, they better include, at a minimum, the opportunity to subscribe to RedZone if not Sunday Ticket itself.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #2411 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, thanks. I did that back when I had DTVN. Just yesterday evening I was over at a friend's house. I told her about DTVN and the ATV4K deal and she signed up months ago. She still has it and asked me to help her. She still didn't understand a lot of the basics about how the DTVN UI worked and how to navigate it with the ATV remote.

She's someone who doesn't really fit the mold of the cord-cutter -- not that tech-savvy. She would be a better candidate for the upcoming OTT service from AT&T ("streaming DirecTV").

As for the Apple TV remote, I've grown to really like it but you do need to learn all the hidden tricks involving the touch pad at the top -- where to click, where and which direction to swipe. That kind of thing isn't immediately obvious, especially to folks who have only ever used a standard cable box/TV type of remote.
The Apple TV remote is the Debil & whomever authorized it for release should be fired. Spend 26.95 & get this real remote for actual human beings. The 'A' button is preset for APTV commands. It makes for a superior experience.
meles likes this.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #2412 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I pulled the apk from my FireTV which is version 2.0.11.03231. In order to get that to work you may need to install the Amazon Store apk (it sometimes looks for that when you sideload Amazon apps). I did see and download the same version number on apkmirror.com but it was a different file size and I couldn’t tell if it was for arm8 or not so I used the FTV version because I know that’s arm8. Here’s the link to the one I didn’t use.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/att-se...-apk-download/

Is there a guide to loading firetv apps on the Shield? It would be totally awesome to get DTV NOw to work on my Shield.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #2413 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
Is there a guide to loading firetv apps on the Shield? It would be totally awesome to get DTV NOw to work on my Shield.

I don’t know but I extract the apk from the FTV. I use ES File Explorer’s “backup” function and then copy the file from the internal backup directory to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
On the Shield I install the Amazon app from the HAL sideload app and log in to the Amazon app with my Amazon ID/password. After I have that running I put the USB in the Shield with the apk and I use ES File Explorer to install on the Shield. It’s possible it will install without Amazon being installed but I haven’t tried that recently as it used to fail without it. Installing and logging into Amazon is a one time event. You only need to do it the first time not for subsequent updates.
I’m sure if you google it you will find a guide or maybe even a better method.

Mike
post #2414 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 07:07 AM
DrA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For 6 feet what kind of HDMI cable?

For 6 feet what kind of HDMI cable to use for DV and HDR from Genie mini? I need to restart my 930 e to see 4K HDR from DirectTV. I hope fiber optic is not required. Apple TV is only couple feet away. I just need 18 Gig copper cable I guess. What kind of cable you guys use?
I don't have Direct TV Now streaming. Just the satellite service.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #2415 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
What you don't understand is that the same way that Apple (iTunes) aggregated movie content from every studio, Apple will also aggregate content from all these various streaming services into a unified UI and watch list, with aggregated billing if the consumer wants it. In fact, they're already doing this with their TV app on Apple TV, iPhone and iPad.

Meanwhile, Google is trying to do something similar with their new home screen for Android TV.
Hi NashGuy from TCF! Anyway, Amazon is racing to do the same with their channels. Based on our previous discussions, it sounds like Apple is the leader right now, due to their platform approach, as opposed to Amazon's service-based approach.

If anyone wants a great discussion with lots of great posts by NashGuy on TCF, check this monster out:

https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...s-dead.560529/
NashGuy likes this.
post #2416 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I did the DirecTVNow AppleTV deal a few times and each time no ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX channels were in my guide during each 3 month period. So, I got a OTA antennae to get these channels with my TiVo Roamio that I used when I had Comcast.

This morning none of these channels showed up in my guide, but now this afternoon I have (3) different ABC channels, (3) FOX and (4) NBC channels in my guide, but (0) CBS. Is this normal to have multiple versions of each? Or is this a temporary glitch? Hopefully it isn’t a glitch to where I totally lose these channels like before when they never showed up at all.

Also, even though I don’t get CBS I am getting CBS Sports Network, which isn’t supposed to be part of the Live a Little package and included in GO Big and Gotta Have It packages only.

Last edited by jdsnov73; 06-16-2018 at 11:52 AM.
post #2417 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I did the DirecTVNow AppleTV deal a few times and each time no ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX channels were in my guide during each 3 month period. So, I got a OTA antennae to get these channels with my TiVo Roamio that I used when I had Comcast.

This morning none of these channels showed up in my guide, but now this afternoon I have (3) different ABC channels, (3) FOX and (4) NBC channels in my guide, but (0) CBS. Is this normal to have multiple versions of each? Or is this a temporary glitch? Hopefully it isn’t a glitch to where I totally lose these channels like before when they never showed up at all.

Also, even though I don’t get CBS I am getting CBS Sports Network, which isn’t supposed to be part of the Live a Little package and included in GO Big and Gotta Have It packages only.

I'm also having issues with my Locals (again). Prior to this issue I have had CBS & NBC. A few months ago I was told via DTVN chat rep that ABC & FOX were coming. If I remember correctly before CBS was added a few months ago this same problem happen. Multiple channels from areas showed in the guide, but didn't load.
post #2418 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I'm also having issues with my Locals (again). Prior to this issue I have had CBS & NBC. A few months ago I was told via DTVN chat rep that ABC & FOX were coming. If I remember correctly before CBS was added a few months ago this same problem happen. Multiple channels from areas showed in the guide, but didn't load.
Oh, yeah, none of these even load. I just saw them scrolling through the guide, but never picked any of them until now. Oh well. I was hoping I got these just to make it easier than having to switch to the TiVo for these channels.
post #2419 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Something weird is going on with the locals, today I have multiple locals, from Honolulu, Detroit, Charleston WV, Green Bay, Dayton, as well as my Philly locals.

Sony 65A1E
post #2420 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
The Apple TV remote is the Debil & whomever authorized it for release should be fired. Spend 26.95 & get this real remote for actual human beings. The 'A' button is preset for APTV commands. It makes for a superior experience.
Thanks (but no thanks). I initially resisted the Apple TV remote too and instead used my trusty ol' Harmony 650 universal remote, which I was able to program to control my new ATV4K reasonably well. But I kept playing around a bit with the Apple remote and, once I broke down and bought a new HDMI-CEC-compatible receiver (Yamaha RX-V383, love it), I switched to exclusively using the Apple remote. I can click it once and my ATV4K, TV and receiver all turn on to the correct inputs. The Apple remote controls the receiver's volume perfectly. When I long-press the TV button on the Apple remote, it puts the ATV4K to sleep and instantly powers off the TV and receiver. And since I now use a network tuner (HDHomeRun Connect) and the Channels app for OTA TV, the ATV4K is really the only video source I use now (other than occasionally using an old Blu-ray player, plus a Chromecast as a video/music endpoint for my Google Home).

I find that the swiping capability of the Apple remote is far superior for quickly scrubbing (FFing/rewinding) through videos. Plus, there are other swipe-based controls in certain apps that a traditional universal remote control can't emulate.

So I gave my old Harmony remote to my parents. Which is fitting, because, with all those buttons, it feels like an "old people" remote to me now, ha!
meles and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by NashGuy; 06-16-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #2421 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone had problems with the Apple TV update yesterday signing you out for no reason? I’ve had 3 instances since yesterday that I’ve had to sign back in. Kind of annoying.

post #2422 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Has anyone had problems with the Apple TV update yesterday signing you out for no reason? I’ve had 3 instances since yesterday that I’ve had to sign back in. Kind of annoying.

Nope

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #2423 of 5096 Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Only with the beta, and that's been for a few weeks now.

Sony 65A1E
post #2424 of 5096 Old 06-17-2018, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:

Yes, I have two ATV4K’s and it happened one time (so far) on one of them. The one it happened on was a forced update so I just figured that was the cause.
BTW, this new update has crashed several times in the last 24 hours on both ATV’s. That’s an improvement from the previous app which crashed twice as much...progress?

Mike
post #2425 of 5096 Old 06-17-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post

Join the club with the locals problem. I was getting the proper locals with the old app. With the new app I get locals from Seattle and I live in South Florida. And you can't record any of them.

Lake Worth, FL

If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing, anyway.
post #2426 of 5096 Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else having issues with recordings getting stuck in a loop? I've had at least 3 recently where pic goes black for a sec, rewinds 10 to 15 seconds and resumes playing and goes a bit farther into the recording but then does the same thing again. Totally unwatchable, can't believe this keeps happening.

Sony 65A1E
post #2427 of 5096 Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Anyone else having issues with recordings getting stuck in a loop? I've had at least 3 recently where pic goes black for a sec, rewinds 10 to 15 seconds and resumes playing and goes a bit farther into the recording but then does the same thing again. Totally unwatchable, can't believe this keeps happening.

Yes, same here. Sometimes I can FF past it but not always.

Mike
post #2428 of 5096 Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, same here. Sometimes I can FF past it but not always.
Yeah I've tried that but not successful, and even if that worked it would piss me off that I'd be cutting out a chunk of the program I wanted to watch. WTF is taking DTVN so long to have a DVR without bugs? At least they seem to be auto padding at the end so recordings are not getting truncated as much, although it still happens.

Sony 65A1E
post #2429 of 5096 Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know but I extract the apk from the FTV. I use ES File Explorer’s “backup” function and then copy the file from the internal backup directory to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
On the Shield I install the Amazon app from the HAL sideload app and log in to the Amazon app with my Amazon ID/password. After I have that running I put the USB in the Shield with the apk and I use ES File Explorer to install on the Shield. It’s possible it will install without Amazon being installed but I haven’t tried that recently as it used to fail without it. Installing and logging into Amazon is a one time event. You only need to do it the first time not for subsequent updates.
I’m sure if you google it you will find a guide or maybe even a better method.

This sounds like straightforward instructions. Unfortunately I only have firesticks, so no USB backup for me. Thanks for the quick reply.

PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #2430 of 5096 Old 06-18-2018, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm thinking about going with DirectTV Now. Is there a difference between it and just DirectTV? I'd like to take advantage of the free ATV4K if I can. Also, can I get MeTV and Decades? I don't see them in any of the lineups on their website. Do the local channels just pop up if/when I can get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page