DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1926Likes

post #2431 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsahiToro View Post
I'm thinking about going with DirectTV Now. Is there a difference between it and just DirectTV? I'd like to take advantage of the free ATV4K if I can. Also, can I get MeTV and Decades? I don't see them in any of the lineups on their website. Do the local channels just pop up if/when I can get them?

There’s a lot of differences, you should do the 7 day trial first although the free ATV4K is a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
I'm thinking about going with DirectTV Now. Is there a difference between it and just DirectTV? I'd like to take advantage of the free ATV4K if I can. Also, can I get MeTV and Decades? I don't see them in any of the lineups on their website. Do the local channels just pop up if/when I can get them?
Directv satellite: more stable signal, stable DVR, no need to worry about data caps (YMMV), wider channel selection

Directv Now: lower monthly cost, free Apple TV 4K/Fire TV/Roku promos, no contract required, arguably better picture quality, better mobile access. Local channel availability varies by city, you can punch your zipcode into the help section of their site to figure out what is available in your area.
meles and Thrust-Bot like this.
post #2433 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Also, can I get MeTV and Decades?
Neither MeTV nor Decades are available from either DirecTV satellite or DirecTV Now. Those networks are typically carried as subchannels on local over-the-air stations, e.g. channel 10.2, and may be available through your local cable provider such as Comcast Xfinity or Charter Spectrum.

Decades is distributed as a national channel (not connected to any local affiliate) through both PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV, though. But I don't know of any streaming service that offers MeTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Directv satellite: more stable signal, stable DVR, no need to worry about data caps (YMMV), wider channel selection

Directv Now: lower monthly cost, free Apple TV 4K/Fire TV/Roku promos, no contract required, arguably better picture quality, better mobile access. Local channel availability varies by city, you can punch your zipcode into the help section of their site to figure out what is available in your area.
My cox cable was hit or miss on channels for quality, however Directv Now puts that all in the dirt. Channels look vastly better than even my best channels from Cox. Direct TV maybe a different story but I noticed a quality difference for sure.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2435 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
My cox cable was hit or miss on channels for quality, however Directv Now puts that all in the dirt. Channels look vastly better than even my best channels from Cox. Direct TV maybe a different story but I noticed a quality difference for sure.
Directv Satellite is/was generally considered to have the best PQ of the cable and satellite providers, with the possible exception of Verizon FIOS.
post #2436 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Directv Satellite is/was generally considered to have the best PQ of the cable and satellite providers, with the possible exception of Verizon FIOS.

Keyword “was “. Steady decline in product quality, delivery and service since AT&T acquisition. I was a 19 year customer and just got fed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2437 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I posted this problem the other day and wanted to follow up. I keep getting signed out on the Apple TV app. I chatted with directv now tonight and the agent kept telling me to check the “keep me signed in”. I don’t see this option. I’ve reinstalled the app and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

post #2438 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
I posted this problem the other day and wanted to follow up. I keep getting signed out on the Apple TV app. I chatted with directv now tonight and the agent kept telling me to check the “keep me signed in”. I don’t see this option. I’ve reinstalled the app and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

By the way chatting as the only form of customer service is really a pain to the consumer and not helpful.

post #2439 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
I always thought the picture quality of DTV was generally very good to excellent, never understood the periodic criticism that would pop up every now and again in threads calling it horrible, etc. But there seemed to be a lot more criticism of FIOS than DTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Keyword “was “. Steady decline in product quality, delivery and service since AT&T acquisition. I was a 19 year customer and just got fed up.
I had a very bad feeling after the AT&T acquisition, they are definitely not one of my favorite corporations when it comes to ethical treatment of consumers.
brotony and m_snow like this.

Sony 65A1E
post #2440 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Agreed that things went downhill after the AT&T acquisition but IMO it was more related to service, product bundling, their mobile app etc and not so much the PQ (picture quality) which is what the question was. Is there another service provider that you feel provided better picture quality prior to switching to DTV Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I always thought the picture quality of DTV was generally very good to excellent, never understood the periodic criticism that would pop up every now and again in threads calling it horrible, etc. But there seemed to be a lot more criticism of FIOS than DTV.

I had a very bad feeling after the AT&T acquisition, they are definitely not one of my favorite corporations when it comes to ethical treatment of consumers.
I had only heard that FIOS PQ was excellent and they applied minimal compression compared to their competition. The biggest negative of FIOS for me at least was the limited number of markets that they are available in.
post #2441 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By the way chatting as the only form of customer service is really a pain to the consumer and not helpful.

It is the most frustrating and unsatisfactory experience. Virtually every single time I’ve “chatted” with them I have been given inaccurate information. I send every single chat transcript to my email because they are so untrustworthy. They need to be able to be reached by phone and email.

Mike
post #2442 of 5287 Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Agreed that things went downhill after the AT&T acquisition but IMO it was more related to service, product bundling, their mobile app etc and not so much the PQ (picture quality) which is what the question was. Is there another service provider that you feel provided better picture quality prior to switching to DTV Now?

For the last year I was with them I was getting frequent pixelated video. But your right, the biggest issues were with customer support and the endless price increases (mid contract) with no added value. I also agree that DTVN picture quality is better than DTV but the service is not stable enough yet.

PlanetAVS and brotony like this.

Mike

Last edited by m_snow; 06-18-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #2443 of 5287 Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Quote:

I had only heard that FIOS PQ was excellent and they applied minimal compression compared to their competition. The biggest negative of FIOS for me at least was the limited number of markets that they are available in.
That's always has been the problem, FIOS was (is) only available where Verizon (now Frontier is some markets) was your phone company, there are cities where one block was FIOS but two blocks away if you were in ATT territory it was Uverse. The phone companies never got outside their territories. Even with high speed internet, I still see a lot of dishes where people have a clear shot at the southern sky.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #2444 of 5287 Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
My PSVue service includes the Decades channel, but it is a terrible channel. A lot of scheduled programs on Decades are actually blocked from view due to licensing restrictions, and this same problem exists with Decades on YouTubeTV. So, the absence of Decades on DTVN is not a big loss, trust me.

Please enter password to view this signature.
post #2445 of 5287 Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I used my newer Ftv stick for the first time in months, yesterday.

If you love wacky, this one is for the Sports Fans:

In the five times I turned the Tv on during the day, it came up on ESPN.
Since I have not watched that Network since January this was extremely annoying.

* No, there was nobody else in the house that day.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #2446 of 5287 Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
I used my newer Ftv stick for the first time in months, yesterday.

If you love wacky, this one is for the Sports Fans:

In the five times I turned the Tv on during the day, it came up on ESPN.
Since I have not watched that Network since January this was extremely annoying.

* No, there was nobody else in the house that day.
Yeah, it is weird on what channel it is on when you come back to watch something. You would think it would default to the last channel it was on, but that isn't always the case strangely.
post #2447 of 5287 Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
Yeah, it is weird on what channel it is on when you come back to watch something. You would think it would default to the last channel it was on, but that isn't always the case strangely.

Yeah, we have three ROKU units and they all open in Animal Planet regardless of what was last watched. More curious than annoyed, however.

1) Vizio PQ65-F1 and 2) Visio D32F-F1
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Darbee Darblet DVP-5000
Roku - 4) Ultra, 1) nVidia Shield
SageTV v9 - HD300, Tablo QUAD, AirTV Pro, FireTV Cube
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (10 tuners)
post #2448 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't live in FiOS country, so can't comment based on firsthand experience, but the word I've repeatedly seen in forums over the past few years from Verizon FiOS TV customers is that the PQ used to be excellent but has gone downhill somewhat due to higher levels of compression.

That said, yes, for a long time, DTV satellite and FiOS were considered the two best services in terms of HD PQ. My guess (based on what I know about their delivery systems) is that today, Google Fiber TV and Layer3 TV may rank ahead of them both, although given that neither is a very common provider, it's hard to say. You don't read very much about either.
post #2449 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I don't live in FiOS country, so can't comment based on firsthand experience, but the word I've repeatedly seen in forums over the past few years from Verizon FiOS TV customers is that the PQ used to be excellent but has gone downhill somewhat due to higher levels of compression.
That's what I've been hearing but like you have no first hand experience. I wanted FIOS so bad when I first heard of it and then eventually learned it will never come to my area, but DTV worked out well until pricing went through the roof. If only DTV could have DTVN pricing.

Sony 65A1E
post #2450 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post

That said, yes, for a long time, DTV satellite and FiOS were considered the two best services in terms of HD PQ. My guess (based on what I know about their delivery systems) is that today, Google Fiber TV and Layer3 TV may rank ahead of them both, although given that neither is a very common provider, it's hard to say. You don't read very much about either.
Heard the same about Google Fiber, they apply next to no compression. However their rollout has all but stopped, 5G is going to make them irrelevant as an internet provider.
post #2451 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 12:36 PM

I live in Kansas City and had Google Fiber tv services for a long time and the picture quality was excellent as mentioned here. However, due to high costs I switched to DTV now and despite the occasional hiccups I have no regret. I still have a google fiber for internet and you can’t beat $70/mo for 1Gbps service.

post #2452 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Heard the same about Google Fiber, they apply next to no compression. However their rollout has all but stopped, 5G is going to make them irrelevant as an internet provider.
Yeah, I live in Nashville. Got the "Fiber Is Coming" t-shirt from Google in the mail years ago. Still waiting on that fiber to get to my neighborhood though, ha. Meanwhile, AT&T Fiber should be converting my street from FTTN to FTTH this year.

I do think Google will continue rolling out home broadband service in some fashion but probably using some kind of fixed wireless approach, like 5G, as they do with the WebPass service they acquired for condos/apartments.

Meanwhile, I think Nashville was about the last city where they introduced Fiber TV. In newer cities after us, like Louisville and San Antonio, they've just offered YouTube TV (with a free Nvidia Shield Android TV box) as their video subscription option.
post #2453 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
I live in Kansas City and had Google Fiber tv services for a long time and the picture quality was excellent as mentioned here. However, due to high costs I switched to DTV now and despite the occasional hiccups I have no regret. I still have a google fiber for internet and you can’t beat $70/mo for 1Gbps service.

$70 for a gig? That’s a really great price, where do I sign up? What’s your upload speed?

Edit: just looked it up. Not available in my area.

Mike
post #2454 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$70 for a gig? That’s a really great price, where do I sign up? What’s your upload speed?
Yeah, it's like the US is actually catching up to the rest of the developed world lol. Too bad the whole country can't have that.

Sony 65A1E
post #2455 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:

1Gbps upload and download. I do feel very fortunate having access to this service. After years of giving money to Time Warner and getting half the speed I was paying for it felt great signing up with Google Fiber.

m_snow likes this.
post #2456 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1Gbps upload and download. I do feel very fortunate having access to this service. After years of giving money to Time Warner and getting half the speed I was paying for it felt great signing up with Google Fiber.

I have 200 Mbps d/l from Spectrum (formerly Time/Warner) and I normally get 225 Mbps but only 25 Mbps upload which isn’t good for accessing my Plex server remotely for movies. I pay about $60 and it’s consistent but I’m very jealous of your gig, bandwidth envy.

Mike
post #2457 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Yeah, it's like the US is actually catching up to the rest of the developed world lol. Too bad the whole country can't have that.
I've been getting 1 Gb from AT&T for $70 for a couple of years now. I'm sure you can negotiate them down if you play your cards right.
post #2458 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been getting 1 Gb from AT&T for $70 for a couple of years now. I'm sure you can negotiate them down if you play your cards right.

☹️

Mike
post #2459 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I recently got 1gig service from ATT for $80 for the first year, then is “supposed” to stay at $90 after that, and it’s unlimited. I get consistent 900+ Mbps yet I still get “your network is performing poorly” messages from DTVNow over the past week around 8pm EST. I’m sure DTVNow will get this worked out, but when it happens it is frustrating.

I got rid of Comcast but kept my TiVo to record OTA channels since I don’t get any of the majors in my area. Nice having unlimited when switching to full streaming services, for a reasonable price.
leojj25 likes this.
post #2460 of 5287 Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
☹️

Good point

I would suggest calling AT&T to confirm the unavailability, instead of taking their online tool at face value. IIRC, when I upgraded to Gigapower the website wasn't up to date
m_snow and leojj25 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page