DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2063Likes

post #2851 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Closing the program on atv and the reopening seems to fix the problem
But it’s still a problem
That didn't work for me but rebooting the ATV4K seemed to work, unless it was just coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Evaluating DTVN.

I can't believe this...apparently you cannot back up live TV. I can pause, but that's it. So if I misunderstand some comments in a scene, can't backup to re-see that.

I'm beginning to think that saving $60 isn't worth the frustrations of the bugs, occasional lack of features (such as above), as well as the greater commercial count compared to On Demand on Dish.
PJO1966 likes this.
post #2853 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I read an article about a month ago saying how Directv Now and Directv Satellite streaming combined their servers. This way there would be better continuity and save the company money from having to maintain duplicate sets of servers and such.

My question is; does anyone know if DTVN has multiple servers throughout the country, or if everyone goes to the same server. The reason I ask, is because of the various complaints I've read from customers; here on the forum, on the DTVN facebook page; the DTVN customer forum; etc.

I hear about excessive buffering, playback problems, outages, etc. Yet, I've had the service for a little over 3 weeks, and except for one time when there was a 20-30 minute outage, I haven't experienced any problems at all. Never buffers except for the couple of seconds when you choose a channel to watch. I've not had any play back issues. Service hasn't dropped or gone down.

Not sure if there are different servers throughout the country, and depending on where you live determines which server you connect to. All I know is; I read a lot of people expressing problems with Directv Now service, yet I don't have any of these problems. Any thoughts?

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
I read an article about a month ago saying how Directv Now and Directv Satellite streaming combined their servers. This way there would be better continuity and save the company money from having to maintain duplicate sets of servers and such.

My question is; does anyone know if DTVN has multiple servers throughout the country, or if everyone goes to the same server. The reason I ask, is because of the various complaints I've read from customers; here on the forum, on the DTVN facebook page; the DTVN customer forum; etc.

I hear about excessive buffering, playback problems, outages, etc. Yet, I've had the service for a little over 3 weeks, and except for one time when there was a 20-30 minute outage, I haven't experienced any problems at all. Never buffers except for the couple of seconds when you choose a channel to watch. I've not had any play back issues. Service hasn't dropped or gone down.

Not sure if there are different servers throughout the country, and depending on where you live determines which server you connect to. All I know is; I read a lot of people expressing problems with Directv Now service, yet I don't have any of these problems. Any thoughts?

They must. If they’re not using AWS it must be something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2855 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6995 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:

I haven’t seen an tech articles on the network layout. One would think it’s multiple servers in strategic data center locations. This is one reason that some don’t have many issues and others have a ton of issues. Not only is it your Speed package, but it’s also how your ISP routes to the CDN. To add the users device has a small part in dealing with the network, it seems the ATV4K gets the best results while others can struggle.
post #2856 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
Evaluating DTVN.

I can't believe this...apparently you cannot back up live TV. I can pause, but that's it. So if I misunderstand some comments in a scene, can't backup to re-see that.

I'm beginning to think that saving $60 isn't worth the frustrations of the bugs, occasional lack of features (such as above), as well as the greater commercial count compared to On Demand on Dish.

Unless you are recording that is correct. Services like DTVN are not for everyone and if you use live buffer a lot or other features it may not be worth it to you.
post #2857 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Unless you are recording that is correct. Services like DTVN are not for everyone and if you use live buffer a lot or other features it may not be worth it to you.

Exactly! You give up live buffering to get a better quality picture plus, in my case, save $120 per month. It’s good we have choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Egan likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2858 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. So it turns out I'm doing this testing during off season for everything we watch. I typically watch only (almost) recordings, but not a lot on worth recording.

Which brings us to bugs. I had 60 minutes set to record Sunday, it didn't. I had Suits to record last night, it didn't.

Another interesting thing, when comparing to the Dish alternative (my current normal method), watching On Demand: On Dish, far fewer commercials. Of course On Demand forces watching commercials on both Dish and DTVN. But there are many more commercials on DTVN.

I'm really wanting to like DTVN. There are things to like about it, but not anything that is necessarily 'better' than Dish. The only thing better, especially taking into consideration non-DVR watching, is the price.
post #2859 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah. So it turns out I'm doing this testing during off season for everything we watch. I typically watch only (almost) recordings, but not a lot on worth recording.

Which brings us to bugs. I had 60 minutes set to record Sunday, it didn't. I had Suits to record last night, it didn't.

Another interesting thing, when comparing to the Dish alternative (my current normal method), watching On Demand: On Dish, far fewer commercials. Of course On Demand forces watching commercials on both Dish and DTVN. But there are many more commercials on DTVN.

I'm really wanting to like DTVN. There are things to like about it, but not anything that is necessarily 'better' than Dish. The only thing better, especially taking into consideration non-DVR watching, is the price.

Did you check upcoming recordings to see if the shows were listed there? Are you set up to record “new only”? In some rare cases an episode may not get tagged as “new” which will cause it not to record if set to “new only”. I don’t use OnDemand much and rather watch via a network app. Like I said not everyone will see a benefit, but those of us that do usually are able to overlook the bugs due to the cost savings.
post #2860 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still leaning towards going with DTVN full time when my 3 month trial (To get my apple tv 4k) is over. It would definitely be a savings over directv satellite. And my internet is very stable, so I gain some improvement over the satellite during weather issues.

I'm a techno-geek. I can deal with any issues. I enjoy the challenge of perfecting technology. My wife on the other hand is technically challenged. My only concern with moving from satellite to streaming directv is the ease of surfing. With satellite,

1. You press one button for return to last channel.
2. You can go directly to a channel by inputting a channel number.
3. You can press a button a see your last 4 channels you've been to to get back there faster
4. While I DON'T get local channels on satellite, directv DOES give me New York and Los Angeles channels of ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox LIVE!!!

You can't do any of this with DirectvNow. I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem with the wife. Once I turn off Directv Satellite, there is no going back. I won't do that. If DirectvNow doesn't work out, I'd find another streaming service.

I eventually forced my wife off of traditional land line telephone and move to VOIP telephone. It took her a little to get use to some of it's anomalies. Being I was part of building the VOIP company we use, and as such, I get unlimited, World-Wide, no additional charges, FOREVER VOIP telephone service for $3.75 a month. (Actually, $45 a year to take care of the billing and admin); she's learned to appreciate it. Hopefully I can get her to appreciate Streaming TV vs Satellite. Price savings, convenience, no weather issues, etc.

Well, I still have 2 months left that's paid for on the DirectvNow subscription; and Directv Satellite is discounting $60 a month currently (To convince me to stay); I guess I have time to try and convince my wife.

Michael

post #2861 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And the quality of the picture. Where Dish is 720p DTVN is 1080p. By “Dish alternative” I assume you mean Sling?

Mike
post #2862 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still leaning towards going with DTVN full time when my 3 month trial (To get my apple tv 4k) is over.
I just recently cancelled DTV to use DTVN, I kept putting it off as I really like satellite especially the DVR, but cost won out in the end. It's an adjustment for sure and it changed my viewing habits, especially having a DVR (for now) limited to 20 hrs. And it used to be second nature to ff through commercials as most of my viewing was through the DVR either using the live buffer or watching a recording, now I've gotten used to sitting through them again but mostly mute the sound. I also tend to watch less TV overall as I'm not recording things unless I know I really want to watch it, and I'm getting a few less channels with my current package. Hopefully the DVR will be out of beta soon, and even though it's more money I really want more than 20 hrs of recording time.
post #2863 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you check upcoming recordings to see if the shows were listed there? Are you set up to record “new only”? In some rare cases an episode may not get tagged as “new” which will cause it not to record if set to “new only”. I don’t use OnDemand much and rather watch via a network app. Like I said not everyone will see a benefit, but those of us that do usually are able to overlook the bugs due to the cost savings.
JFYI...I only have about 4 days on this eval so far...

Turns out I do have Suits. I did check the Upcoming Recordings and it wasn't there. But, as I think about it, it was near or at the end time for Suits. It wasn't on My Recordings either. But it is there now.

So, it seems inconsistent. I have, at least once, found a recording listing on my recordings, while it was recording, and was able to start watching it before the show was over (I do that quite a bit on Dish). But I also tried that with one other, and it would not let me watch.

Quote:
I'm still leaning towards going with DTVN full time when my 3 month trial (To get my apple tv 4k) is over. It would definitely be a savings over directv satellite. And my internet is very stable, so I gain some improvement over the satellite during weather issues.

I'm a techno-geek. I can deal with any issues. I enjoy the challenge of perfecting technology. My wife on the other hand is technically challenged. My only concern with moving from satellite to streaming directv is the ease of surfing. With satellite,

1. You press one button for return to last channel.
2. You can go directly to a channel by inputting a channel number.
3. You can press a button a see your last 4 channels you've been to to get back there faster
4. While I DON'T get local channels on satellite, directv DOES give me New York and Los Angeles channels of ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox LIVE!!!

You can't do any of this with DirectvNow. I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem with the wife. Once I turn off Directv Satellite, there is no going back. I won't do that. If DirectvNow doesn't work out, I'd find another streaming service.

I eventually forced my wife off of traditional land line telephone and move to VOIP telephone. It took her a little to get use to some of it's anomalies. Being I was part of building the VOIP company we use, and as such, I get unlimited, World-Wide, no additional charges, FOREVER VOIP telephone service for $3.75 a month. (Actually, $45 a year to take care of the billing and admin); she's learned to appreciate it. Hopefully I can get her to appreciate Streaming TV vs Satellite. Price savings, convenience, no weather issues, etc.

Well, I still have 2 months left that's paid for on the DirectvNow subscription; and Directv Satellite is discounting $60 a month currently (To convince me to stay); I guess I have time to try and convince my wife.
I'm a retired techno geek, as you call it. Mostly in networking, wide area networking, desktops, and computer center support. But most of the issues with DTVN are not issues that we can do anything about. It's either just not a feature, different, or a bug.

I do have in the back of my mind that I might see if Dish will give me some concessions to keep me, while the streaming providers mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
And the quality of the picture. Where Dish is 720p DTVN is 1080p. By “Dish alternative” I assume you mean Sling?

Yes, I have been surprised by how good the picture is. Actually, my Dish has been good too. Maybe because of passing through a system that upconverts. I would NOT expect an upconversion to be as good as true 1080P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I just recently cancelled DTV to use DTVN, I kept putting it off as I really like satellite especially the DVR, but cost won out in the end. It's an adjustment for sure and it changed my viewing habits, especially having a DVR (for now) limited to 20 hrs. And it used to be second nature to ff through commercials as most of my viewing was through the DVR either using the live buffer or watching a recording, now I've gotten used to sitting through them again but mostly mute the sound. I also tend to watch less TV overall as I'm not recording things unless I know I really want to watch it, and I'm getting a few less channels with my current package. Hopefully the DVR will be out of beta soon, and even though it's more money I really want more than 20 hrs of recording time.
I believe you can get 100 hour DVR now. I think it's $10/month more.
post #2864 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe you can get 100 hour DVR now. I think it's $10/month more.
I had checked online and didn't see the option, just the usual change package or add premiums etc. In addition to 100 hrs I would also want longer storage than 30 days.
post #2865 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had checked online and didn't see the option, just the usual change package or add premiums etc. In addition to 100 hrs I would also want longer storage than 30 days.
I'm sure that is the case. I"m not sure how you can actually buy it. Maybe contacting online support that everyone hates.

From whom I got the 100 hr DVR for free, at least for now. I worked with them upon first setup that was problematic, and they gave me that feature for the trouble. It was interesting how I found out: Before signing off I asked one last question "Do you know if they are going to be offering more that 20 hours for DVR?". The reply was "We have it now, in fact I just turned it on for you for free for your troubles".

I suspect it will show up before long.
post #2866 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure that is the case. I"m not sure how you can actually buy it. Maybe contacting online support that everyone hates.

From whom I got the 100 hr DVR for free, at least for now. I worked with them upon first setup that was problematic, and they gave me that feature for the trouble. It was interesting how I found out: Before signing off I asked one last question "Do you know if they are going to be offering more that 20 hours for DVR?". The reply was "We have it now, in fact I just turned it on for you for free for your troubles".

I suspect it will show up before long.
Yeah I knew I had seen that somewhere, I had gone and checked and the option still wasn't there. I guess it's getting close to general release. Maybe if I contact them with a bunch of my usual complaints they'll give it to me for free lol.
post #2867 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fortunately for me and my wife, we do 0-Zero DVR. Never have, and probably never will. The things I watch on regular tv are either "Time Sensitive", e.g. news; or they are covered fine by On-Demand. In other words, if I don't have time to watch it now, I don't watch it at all. I don't watch "Series" and things that matter if I miss them.

Quote:
I'm a retired techno geek, as you call it. Mostly in networking, wide area networking, desktops, and computer center support. But most of the issues with DTVN are not issues that we can do anything about. It's either just not a feature, different, or a bug.
This is something I brought up in another post. I simply have NOT EXPERIENCED any problems with DTVN. Granted, it's only been about a month of use, but it's been fine. The only thing I have to deal with is whether or not the operation of it will be acceptable to my wife. I did notice that there are some things I was able to "Troubleshoot" and narrow down. For instance, taking 6 or more seconds from the time I choose a channel until it's viewed. I've read some people complaining about this. After doing some troubleshooting, I realized that this ONLY HAPPENS to me, when using my Roku. When I use my Apple tv 4K, it's NEVER longer than 1-2 seconds from clicking to viewing. So, this could be issues with roku, smart tv apps, etc. But overall, I haven't had ANY problems with video, audio, buffering, no bugs, etc.

Michael

post #2868 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
@Christcorp , Problem with On-Demand is you can't skip commercials like you can with DVR recordings.

This line of discussion reminds me of the early days of DTVN. Most people reported tons of problems. But a few said they had no problems at all. Come to find out, the happy group of people wasn't even using any of the features everybody else was complaining about. So both praise and complaints have to be judged in context. So if anybody reports they have no problems, first thing I ask is, "well, do you actually use features X, Y and Z"? The answer is usually no. It also helps to be using the fastest, most expensive streaming device (ATV4K). Just because that particular device/app works pretty well doesn't let them of the hook for all the other supported devices/apps.

I'd probably be happier with the service if I hadn't sold my free ATV4K. But don't really mind my cheap device being a little slower. Since I've had the service over 2 years, and that I regularly use all of the features on every platform (TV OS, Roku, Android TV / FireTV, Chromecast, web), my experience with and opinion of the service is much more complicated. For one thing, in one of the betas, we COULD enter channel numbers and go directly to any specific channel. But they since took that feature back out.

In any case, I'm glad you're mostly satisfied with it. You'll be saving a lot of money.
post #2869 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

mdavej; I've made it no secret, that I don't use the DVR function. Simply don't have a need for it. Didn't use or pay for it with satellite or with cable. But even for those who use this feature, I don't consider it a "Core" feature. The core is to be able to broadcast the programming you're paying for, and be able to watch it. A DVR is simply an additional feature some people like because their schedule requires them to watch programming at a different time than when it's normally aired. Nothing wrong with that.

But DVR isn't the only complaints I've read/heard about with DirectvNow. I've read a lot of people complaining of no playback; (Try again later) type displays. Audio problems; e.g. lip sync, drop outs, etc. Locking when viewing. And many other issues. I use DirectvNow on 2 roku's and an apple tv 4k. I've used it on my Apple Ipad. I've used it on my desktop. I haven't had any problems. Granted, it's only been about a month of usage, but it's worked quite fine for me.

My only issues with DirectvNow are features that are convenient based. I.e. I am not a fan of how the guide is set up. Getting to the channel you want is very inconvenient. But I understand it's an evolving product. I can live with those things. The VOIP company I helped build, was in beta for 2 full years before going live and selling service to the general public. Yes, once we rolled out, it was pretty flawless; but it costs us a lot of money to operate for more than 2-3 years with no income from customers. It's mostly just convenience issues with DirectvNow. But other than the DVR function, I use pretty much everything else DirectvNow has to offer.

And so far, I'm satisfied with it. My wife on the other hand, likes things very simple. She may not like having to go to the guide, and scrolling down, to get to the channel she wants. She may not like not being able to switch back and forth between 2 different stations. She may not like that it takes 4, 5, 6 seconds from clicking on a channel to seeing it. (She's not getting my Apple tv 4k; she gets one of the Roku's). These are the things I'm going to have to go over with her. I plan on trying to get her to use DirectvNow exclusively the whole month of August. Exclusively, meaning for the channels she watches on it. She'll probably go back to satellite for many of her channels that aren't on the directvNow platform. If we keep directvnow and get rid of satellite, we'll get the EVERYTHING package. Including hbo, max, show, starz, etc.

Michael

post #2870 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Interesting thing for me. When I had DTV... My wife wanted me to get rid of the hardware to eliminate the heat so she could close cabinet doors that were open for venting. I was against the idea because after 24 years with DTV I had settled in.... Now we have DTVN, 1 year running, and she wants DTV back, including hardware and I say she's crazy! Go spend the extra money were saving and live with it!! For me its been as solid as the legacy DTV. Your milage may vary of course LOL
post #2871 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
I believe that full trick-play capability (pause, rewind, FF) for live TV is a feature that AT&T said would come in another round of updates later in 2018, after the roll out of their cloud DVR (which happened a couple months ago). Other improvements supposedly on the way include individual user profiles, an expanded VOD library, support for 4K HDR, and pay-per-view content.
post #2872 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
mdavej; I've made it no secret, that I don't use the DVR function. Simply don't have a need for it. Didn't use or pay for it with satellite or with cable. But even for those who use this feature, I don't consider it a "Core" feature. The core is to be able to broadcast the programming you're paying for, and be able to watch it. A DVR is simply an additional feature some people like because their schedule requires them to watch programming at a different time than when it's normally aired. Nothing wrong with that.

But DVR isn't the only complaints I've read/heard about with DirectvNow. I've read a lot of people complaining of no playback; (Try again later) type displays. Audio problems; e.g. lip sync, drop outs, etc. Locking when viewing. And many other issues. I use DirectvNow on 2 roku's and an apple tv 4k. I've used it on my Apple Ipad. I've used it on my desktop. I haven't had any problems. Granted, it's only been about a month of usage, but it's worked quite fine for me.

My only issues with DirectvNow are features that are convenient based. I.e. I am not a fan of how the guide is set up. Getting to the channel you want is very inconvenient. But I understand it's an evolving product. I can live with those things. The VOIP company I helped build, was in beta for 2 full years before going live and selling service to the general public. Yes, once we rolled out, it was pretty flawless; but it costs us a lot of money to operate for more than 2-3 years with no income from customers. It's mostly just convenience issues with DirectvNow. But other than the DVR function, I use pretty much everything else DirectvNow has to offer.

And so far, I'm satisfied with it. My wife on the other hand, likes things very simple. She may not like having to go to the guide, and scrolling down, to get to the channel she wants. She may not like not being able to switch back and forth between 2 different stations. She may not like that it takes 4, 5, 6 seconds from clicking on a channel to seeing it. (She's not getting my Apple tv 4k; she gets one of the Roku's). These are the things I'm going to have to go over with her. I plan on trying to get her to use DirectvNow exclusively the whole month of August. Exclusively, meaning for the channels she watches on it. She'll probably go back to satellite for many of her channels that aren't on the directvNow platform. If we keep directvnow and get rid of satellite, we'll get the EVERYTHING package. Including hbo, max, show, starz, etc.
Have you ever considered getting another Apple TV 4K for your wife, so that she is not totally put off by the slowness of the Roku? Might as well get the best device for the service to help her with the transition lol.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 07-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
post #2873 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Have you ever considered getting another Apple TV 4K for your wife, so that she is not totally put off by the slowness of the Roku? Might as well get the best device for the service to help her with the transition.
I'll see how she handles the roku first. She's really use to that. She's been using it for years (Not that particular one, I've upgraded a couple times). She's big into netflix and amazon. So I'm hoping I can get her into using it now for directvNow. Being she like simplicity, part of the selling point is that all she'll need now is the Roku and remote. The remote will even control the power and volume to the tv. She sometimes gets frustrated on the weekend if I sleep in and she tries to use the harmony to watch tv on the OLED. I had to program 3 simple buttons so she didn't have to deal with the AVR. 1) Directv; 2) Roku (Netflix/prime); 3) Bluray. I leave all the other activities for me using the avr or soundbar.

I think the biggest issue for her, isn't the slowness of getting the channel on. I think it's going to be that she'll have to keep going back to the guide and scrolling down to get to the next channel she wants. Vs direct channel input, last channel, or recent 4 channels that directv satellite has. We'll see how she does with the Roku., If it's a major problem for her I can always reconsider. Fortunately, she's as frugal as I am, so saving the $60 a month might help persuade her.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.

Michael

post #2874 of 5609 Old 07-26-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
@Christcorp , Problem with On-Demand is you can't skip commercials like you can with DVR recordings.

This line of discussion reminds me of the early days of DTVN. Most people reported tons of problems. But a few said they had no problems at all. Come to find out, the happy group of people wasn't even using any of the features everybody else was complaining about. So both praise and complaints have to be judged in context. So if anybody reports they have no problems, first thing I ask is, "well, do you actually use features X, Y and Z"? The answer is usually no. It also helps to be using the fastest, most expensive streaming device (ATV4K). Just because that particular device/app works pretty well doesn't let them of the hook for all the other supported devices/apps.

I'd probably be happier with the service if I hadn't sold my free ATV4K. But don't really mind my cheap device being a little slower. Since I've had the service over 2 years, and that I regularly use all of the features on every platform (TV OS, Roku, Android TV / FireTV, Chromecast, web), my experience with and opinion of the service is much more complicated. For one thing, in one of the betas, we COULD enter channel numbers and go directly to any specific channel. But they since took that feature back out.

In any case, I'm glad you're mostly satisfied with it. You'll be saving a lot of money.
What you could see is voice channel changing on devices using voice, ATV can already use voice for search within the DTVN app. Voice can make for a smaller remote and you don't have to search for number keys in the dark.
mdavej likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #2875 of 5609 Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is this normal behaviour?

Watching live, get a call so pause the show. When I come back to it, push play, and instead of picking up where I hit pause, it picks up where the show is at live.
post #2876 of 5609 Old 07-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Is this normal behaviour?

Watching live, get a call so pause the show. When I come back to it, push play, and instead of picking up where I hit pause, it picks up where the show is at live.
It's how it is until DTVN fixes the buffer. Been mentioned a few times, after DTVN DVR beta was the plan. But I didn't expect beta to continue beyond the invite period. Later this year, was suggested recently.

PS Vue was also compared to DTVN buffer. Approximately last 4 & 3/4 minutes only. But at least with PS Vue rw and ffw within that short buffer is allowed. If the similarity remains, DTVN live buffer is almost there already.

Given that limited buffer, the strategy some may find more convenient is to simply record everything so there is a more generous buffer when needed. If cloud DVR buffers are going to remain so small, the emphasis nearly highlights the current problem: need more storage.

But since PS Vue does have more storage, why the small cloud buffer? Ad strategy? Nothing convenient about pausing to take a break and still have to watch ads or lose your partial show content because of the short buffer. Just record it instead. May not be easy or convenient but I try to schedule in advance or when first finding a new show.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #2877 of 5609 Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 4296
If the encryption could be worked out there could be a cloud and hardware solution that would able you to do most of the things we take for granted with hardware dvr's. A rolling 30 min or 1hr buffer would be a good start.
tngiloy likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #2878 of 5609 Old 07-28-2018, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 112
So I’m still reviewing DirecTV Now to see if this will be our family’s next step after expensive Xfinity. I upgraded our package last night from the basic plan to the Go Big as I wanted my wife and daughter to be able to see what we would be getting once I dropped Xfinity. However once the guide upgraded there appears to be some glitch where movie channels have been added as well as perhaps some others that we do not get. Is this normal? On the very basic plan the guide only showed the channels we could actually tune to. Not sure my wife is going to like having to scroll through a bunch of stuff every time that is meaningless to her.

Also recently I have noticed on only certain channels that lip sync is now an issue when it never has been for me before. I’ve noticed it specifically on MNSBC and can confirm it doesn’t happen through Xfinity. But don’t see how I can correct that for one channel without throwing the other channels off. For example CNN is perfect.

Anyways I’m loving this service so far, and will likely take a very hard look at their offering of the streaming version of their satellite service they keep saying is coming out sometime this year. The only reason we left DirecTV satellite was due to physical satellite placement issues on our property that became too cost prohibitive to overcome where signal loss was occurring way too frequently.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #2879 of 5609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
So I’m still reviewing DirecTV Now to see if this will be our family’s next step after expensive Xfinity...
Glitches with the guide seem to happen but infrequently, it will sort itself out eventually. You can use "favorites" in the guide to filter down to your most watched channels, and there's also the "Watch Now" window (I think that's the name not at the TV atm) which acts like a recently viewed/most watched list, I find myself going to that a lot to tune to my channels. I've never experienced lip synch issues, hopefully that was a one off glitch for you.
post #2880 of 5609 Old 07-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
Anyways I’m loving this service so far, and will likely take a very hard look at their offering of the streaming version of their satellite service they keep saying is coming out sometime this year. The only reason we left DirecTV satellite was due to physical satellite placement issues on our property that became too cost prohibitive to overcome where signal loss was occurring way too frequently.
Not quite sure of what streaming version of their satellite service you’re referring to. Directv already has a streaming version of their satellite system. I use it often. It’s almost a mirror of my satellite. Almost all the channels. But you have to have satellite service to use the online version.

Any other streaming version would be exactly what directvNow is. Why would they have a third version? The Directv app is my satellite when I’m not at home, and the directvNow is the same but you don’t need satellite. Please post a link to what you’re referring to. I’d be interested in what a why they’d have a third version.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Directv , directv now , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page