Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 591Likes

post #3211 of 3261 Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des511 View Post
Can anyone recommend a quite hard drive with large storage to go in the 4k Pro HDR. Currently got a 10tb seagate AI hard drive in there and it’s sounds like a tap dancing mouse.
Des511..I'm having the same issues with a Seagate Skyhawk 12 TB drive in my 4K Pro HDR. I get a clunk, clunk every few seconds. Oddly, the drive isn't as noisy when it is in my computer. I feel that something in the docking bay is amplifying the noise and that is transmitted to the chassis. I've been looking at WD Red drives but now that they have changed model numbers it has been impossible to get specs on the newer drives. The WD Red and Red Pro are recommended for the Pro 4k with the reds spinning a 5400rpm and the Red Pro at 7200. I too would be curious as what internal drives others are using. All and all I really like the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3261 Old 02-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterytrain View Post
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a quite hard drive with large storage to go in the 4k Pro HDR. Currently got a 10tb seagate AI hard drive in there and it’️s sounds like a tap dancing mouse.
Des511..I'm having the same issues with a Seagate Skyhawk 12 TB drive in my 4K Pro HDR. I get a clunk, clunk every few seconds. Oddly, the drive isn't as noisy when it is in my computer. I feel that something in the docking bay is amplifying the noise and that is transmitted to the chassis. I've been looking at WD Red drives but now that they have changed model numbers it has been impossible to get specs on the newer drives. The WD Red and Red Pro are recommended for the Pro 4k with the reds spinning a 5400rpm and the Red Pro at 7200. I too would be curious as what internal drives others are using. All and all I really like the player.
I sent the seagate back and picked up a 10tb WD Red 5400rpm as advised by the person I bought the player from. The WD Red is almost silent and cannot be heard from my seating position so that’s what I would recommend.
Be warned that the WD Red nas hard drive only works with the Pro HDR model.
johng likes this.
post #3213 of 3261 Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I sent the seagate back and picked up a 10tb WD Red 5400rpm as advised by the person I bought the player from. The WD Red is almost silent and cannot be heard from my seating position so that’s what I would recommend.
Thanks for getting back. Which model WD red? According to AMAZON there is the older WD100EFAX and the newer WD101EFAX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3261 Old 02-15-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Does anybody have any HDD formatting tips? I am having a hard time getting my One SE4k HDR to recognize a couple of hard drives that I bought. One is a WD Blue 6TB that was recommended. That HDD didn't work so I tried a Seagate 8TB. Still a no-go.

I put in smaller 2TB drives and they both work. I followed the formatting instructions, but it won't recognize the hard drives. I am talking about internal hard drives.

Any help would be appreciated. I wasn't planning on this stumbling block.
post #3215 of 3261 Old 02-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have 3 HDD on my Zappiti hdr One.

1x Seagate 6TB
1× Seagate 8TB
1x WD 10TB

The 8TB is the internal one, the other two, are in a dock connected by USB.

They were all previously external HDD that I broke the box and shucked them.

No formating was needed.

The fact that your device came with a USB drive, makes me think that maybe it was used before? Or a refurbished device?

Last edited by silver-eye; 02-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
post #3216 of 3261 Old 02-16-2020, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for getting back. Which model WD red? According to AMAZON there is the older WD100EFAX and the newer WD101EFAX.
I’m in the UK so I bought from Amazon.co.uk

Western Digital WDBMMA0100HNC-WRSN 10 TB SATA Internal Hard Drive - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077RRQP..._8GqsEb7B8YF2N
post #3217 of 3261 Old 02-16-2020, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
Does anybody have any HDD formatting tips? I am having a hard time getting my One SE4k HDR to recognize a couple of hard drives that I bought. One is a WD Blue 6TB that was recommended. That HDD didn't work so I tried a Seagate 8TB. Still a no-go.

I put in smaller 2TB drives and they both work. I followed the formatting instructions, but it won't recognize the hard drives. I am talking about internal hard drives.

Any help would be appreciated. I wasn't planning on this stumbling block.
Okay. I figured it out and got it going. Apparently I wasn't getting a good format when I was using a USB dock. Everything looked okay when connected to my computer via USB, but the drives wouldn't work in the Zap.
I connected the drives directly to the PC via SATA and I formatted that way. I saw something was wrong when I look at disk management. I ended up need to format via Command Prompt to get the drives working.
johng likes this.
post #3218 of 3261 Old 02-17-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I’m in the UK so I bought from Amazon.co.uk

Western Digital WDBMMA0100HNC-WRSN 10 TB SATA Internal Hard Drive - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077RRQP..._8GqsEb7B8YF2N
Perfect! I'm going to try to return the Seagate Skyhawk. Thanks again

Quick question.
Can I just copy all my files [including the Zappiti folder] to the new drive or must I clone the old drive with the new? If I decide to copy [which might be the most cost effective] should I delete all of my collections, then transfer the movies files to the new drive and re-scrape?
post #3219 of 3261 Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Quick question.
Can I just copy all my files [including the Zappiti folder] to the new drive or must I clone the old drive with the new? If I decide to copy [which might be the most cost effective] should I delete all of my collections, then transfer the movies files to the new drive and re-scrape?
Good Question! You should copy the contents of your drive to another drive. Before deleting your collections, I'd try also copying the Zappiti folder and add the new drive(s) as a new Source. It's possible that Zappiti may see the folder and you won't need to re-scrape. I have not tried it this way, but it's worth a shot. If it sees the new source but insists on "identifying" the contents then re-scrape. Let us know what works for you.

FWIW, I'm using a couple of 8Gb Seagate Iron-Wolf drives in a Synology NAS enclosure (set us as a RAID) and it's been working very well. The Iron-Wolf drives are designated for NAS.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Panasonic DP-UB420, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR,
Zidoo Z9s, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #3220 of 3261 Old 02-18-2020, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Quick question.
With my NAS I could just copy all of the files. No need to clone and rescraping needed!
post #3221 of 3261 Old 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a shucked WD Elements 6TB blue drive currently in my Zappiti 4K HDR loaded with media. I've also got a backup WD elements 6TB blue external drive next to my computer, which I sync up with whatever media I add to the Zappiti, so basically I've always got a full clone ready to go if the current one I have installed fails. My question is this; if the drive in there does fail, and I remove the 2nd shucked WD blue drive from the Elements case and install it into the Zappiti, will It be a straight forward swap where everything from the Zappiti cloud backup is immediately recognized and there's nothing I need to do or will I encounter some problems.

Reason I ask is I'm also running a Zidoo Z9S with an exact duplicate backup. My first external drive failed and restoring a cloned drive was more hassle that it was worth. Could have been the beta firmware I was using on it creating the headache of a restore. It just wasn't straight forward and just took a lot longer with the cloned drive to get everything back to where I had things originally. So after a drive failure with the Zidoo, I was just curious if a Zappiti cloud restore from a cloned drive is going to be a lot easier to do if my original drive fails?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by callanish; 02-21-2020 at 03:02 PM.
post #3222 of 3261 Old 02-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not getting DD or DTS through the audio out only HDMI. I get Atmos, DTS Master HD, etc...but regular DD or DTS...plays back as PCM via the HDMI audio only. If I use the regular HDMI, all is fine. So I'm using that....but wanted to try a different set up...and could not do that now, because the audio only is only giving me PCM on certain formats.
Also, my player has been playing the wrong titles for almost 6 months now. If the player is on for a while, and I select another movie via Zappiti or Explorer, it won't play, then I go back and select another film, and the movie that I selected previously starts to play. I'll stop the movie, and select something else, and the movie before that starts to play. It's like a delayed hickup! I have contacted Zappiti in Europe , and sent video clips of the player doing this....and they are directing me to US support..but I have heard nothing. I have the SE model. It only started to do this sometime after an update...because for the first year or 10 months I had this....this did not happen. And know it is. Anyone else have a similar issue?
post #3223 of 3261 Old 03-05-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does HDMI record work? When I click start nothing happens. No errors messages. Just nothing.
post #3224 of 3261 Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Good evening. Last weekend I purchased a Duo. Need help/advice. The website says that this unit will play back audio files up to 24/192 in FLAC and AIFF. So far neither type file will play and files that will play, like ALAC, only go up to a resolution of 48. I'm using HDMI. Is there something that I have to enable in the settings or am I better off using the analog jacks for music? Thanks in advance.
post #3225 of 3261 Old 03-08-2020, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

Is DLNA supported through WiFi on the Mini4KHDR as I am not able to see it on the network, which I can through the ethernet interface?

Thanks
post #3226 of 3261 Old 03-08-2020, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Hi,

Is DLNA supported through WiFi on the Mini4KHDR as I am not able to see it on the network, which I can through the ethernet interface?

Thanks
No you cannot access your files via DLNA.

Conversely, if you add your drives to the player itself it can serve them to other devices by DLNA or SMB.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBone, Node 2i, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome/Seismic 110, Sony UBP-X500, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
post #3227 of 3261 Old 03-09-2020, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
Does HDMI record work? When I click start nothing happens. No errors messages. Just nothing.
I sorta figured something out, but it is pretty clunky. Basically HDMI won't record with a Dolby Digital incoming signal. So if I shut off the incoming DD then I am able to use the HDMI record. I also have to shut off RAW audio signals on the ZAP.
post #3228 of 3261 Old 03-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Good Question! You should copy the contents of your drive to another drive. Before deleting your collections, I'd try also copying the Zappiti folder and add the new drive(s) as a new Source. It's possible that Zappiti may see the folder and you won't need to re-scrape. I have not tried it this way, but it's worth a shot. If it sees the new source but insists on "identifying" the contents then re-scrape. Let us know what works for you.

FWIW, I'm using a couple of 8Gb Seagate Iron-Wolf drives in a Synology NAS enclosure (set us as a RAID) and it's been working very well. The Iron-Wolf drives are designated for NAS.
Sorry for the delay on the update.
I copied the contents [including the android/zappiti folder] of the 12GB Seagate Skyhawk to the 10GB WD red, leaving the Folders intact. I then had to reestablish the path. I went to the settings menu were My Collection contained two folders, Movies, and Series. I deleted the Movies folder and then added it again. You will notice a different path and the top of the screen. I did the same for the Series folder. Worked out fine, no re-scraping.
johng likes this.

Last edited by mysterytrain; 03-10-2020 at 10:41 AM.
post #3229 of 3261 Old 03-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry for the delay on the update.
I copied the contents [including the android/zappiti folder] of the 12GB Seagate Skyhawk to the 10GB WD red, leaving the Folders intact. I then had to reestablish the path. I went to the settings menu were My Collection contained two folders, Movies, and Series. I deleted the Movies folder and then added it again. You will notice a different path and the top of the screen. I did the same for the Series folder. Worked out fine, no re-scraping.
I use Source Direct on my 4K mini, but I see that for some movies (Blu rays), Zappiti upscales from 1080p to 2160 X30(or 24fps).

How can I stop Zappiti from upscaling?

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotive XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zappiti (Media Player), Darbee (Video Processor)
post #3230 of 3261 Old 03-11-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I use Source Direct on my 4K mini, but I see that for some movies (Blu rays), Zappiti upscales from 1080p to 2160 X30(or 24fps).

How can I stop Zappiti from upscaling?
Go into Settings and specify output to be 1080p.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Panasonic DP-UB420, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR,
Zidoo Z9s, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #3231 of 3261 Old 03-17-2020, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,i just got a mini and it wont update anything on the net.I tried wireless and wired internet,but no go.I dont get it,help please.
post #3232 of 3261 Old 03-18-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaxy View Post
Hi all,i just got a mini and it wont update anything on the net.I tried wireless and wired internet,but no go.I dont get it,help please.
Download the latest updates from the web-site, put it on a usb stick and select local update.

post #3233 of 3261 Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Use your own covers and posters when scraping new movies

Has anybody successfully used their own disc covers and posters rather than the ones from Zappiti when scraping movies to add to your Zappiti collection? I've tried the instructions here: https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...er-backgrounds , but couldn't get it to work. I can manually add my own images, but would much rather use scraping to get my 700 plus movies into a Zappiti collection. Reason why I want to do this is I've been using MyMovies for years and much prefer to use the actual covers for my discs rather than the generic posters Zappiti uses.
post #3234 of 3261 Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Quote:
Download the latest updates from the web-site, put it on a usb stick and select local update.
John,
sometimes when I start Zappiti, I need to disconnect the HDMI cable from the box (source) and reconnect it again for the picture to come on.

Have you ever experienced this issue?

Is it the box or the HDMI cable? Should I change the cable?

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotive XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zappiti (Media Player), Darbee (Video Processor)
post #3235 of 3261 Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
John,
sometimes when I start Zappiti, I need to disconnect the HDMI cable from the box (source) and reconnect it again for the picture to come on.

Have you ever experienced this issue?

Is it the box or the HDMI cable? Should I change the cable?
Yes. It could be a "handshake" issue between Zappiti, your AVR and/or your Display device. Swapping HDMI cables is always a good approach. What I sometimes do is manually switch my AVR to another input and once that properly makes the handshake I switch back to Zappiti. I'm running a JVC X790 projector and JVC's are rather notorious for taking their time to make the proper handshake. Good Luck!

post #3236 of 3261 Old 03-26-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechee View Post
Has anybody successfully used their own disc covers and posters rather than the ones from Zappiti when scraping movies to add to your Zappiti collection? I've tried the instructions here: https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...er-backgrounds , but couldn't get it to work. I can manually add my own images, but would much rather use scraping to get my 700 plus movies into a Zappiti collection. Reason why I want to do this is I've been using MyMovies for years and much prefer to use the actual covers for my discs rather than the generic posters Zappiti uses.
Yes, but only if a title is not listed in the TMDB data base. It could be a new title or something really obsure. The link you provided has the instructions. I think the key is making sure to place the jpeg image in the same file folder as the movie.

post #3237 of 3261 Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechee View Post
Use the context menu command to open a large assortment of available artwork for posters and backgrounds. Odds are that yours are in there. The scraper seems to just pull the first one on the list but there are many more choices.
johng likes this.
post #3238 of 3261 Old 03-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Use the context menu command to open a large assortment of available artwork for posters and backgrounds. Odds are that yours are in there. The scraper seems to just pull the first one on the list but there are many more choices.
Quote:
Yes, but only if a title is not listed in the TMDB data base. It could be a new title or something really obsure. The link you provided has the instructions. I think the key is making sure to place the jpeg image in the same file folder as the movie.
I'm able to add my own manually following the latter portion of the instructions I linked to, but I'm unable to get the first part of the instructions to work to scrape all my movies at once and use my already curated movie covers in the folders rather than the ones from the Zappiti database. The instructions really aren't very clear once you try to actually follow them and I tried many variations to account for different interpretations with no luck. I'll ask Zappiti directly next.
post #3239 of 3261 Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 155
In Kodi what you are asking is possible but not in Zappiti as far as I am aware. It’s a question of having to manually change them from your PC/Mac later after scraping. Quite a big job if it’s 700.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBone, Node 2i, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome/Seismic 110, Sony UBP-X500, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
post #3240 of 3261 Old 03-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zappiti Official Youtube Channel Said This

Can anyone confirm?

Thx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version