Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 609Likes

post #3391 of 3446 Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Yes we are taking about menu playback of full rips not MKV. The original poster had commented...I've seen several messages stating that blu-ray menus can be hit and miss, so YMMV. That is my experience. MKV is entirely different but I don’t use it anymore since I want support for forced subs and DL DV.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Rotel RMB 1555, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver 8), XBone, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, Firestick 4K, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033, Paradigm Seismic 110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3446 Old 06-13-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
On each of the other players I have used in the past (Nvidia/Plex,Du\ne, etc) I could insert a JPG of the cover and put it in the folder with the MKV file and the scrapper would use it when the data could not be found on one of the places normally used. Is there a way to do that with the Zappiti? I have a few Concert BluRays where the data can't be found and have placed JPGs of the covers in the folder but Zappiti is not looking for them.

Any ideas?
post #3393 of 3446 Old 06-14-2020, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it’s not like Kodi for example which will seek out your own pics. If you use a local server you can add your photos as covers, I do it regularly. It won’t work from the cloud server.

https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...ckgrounds-pc-m

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Rotel RMB 1555, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver 8), XBone, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033, Paradigm Seismic 110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 3446 Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I have a Zappiti Mini 4K HDR with 3 hard drives, 1 is a 8tb seagate and the other 2 are 4tb WD. When i connect all three and look in the explorer settings i cam only see the seagete and 1 of the 4tb , all will show on there own but i can only get the 8tb and either 1 of the 4tb to show together, is there a way of makeing all 3 show together ?
post #3395 of 3446 Old 06-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
On each of the other players I have used in the past (Nvidia/Plex,Du\ne, etc) I could insert a JPG of the cover and put it in the folder with the MKV file and the scrapper would use it when the data could not be found on one of the places normally used. Is there a way to do that with the Zappiti? I have a few Concert BluRays where the data can't be found and have placed JPGs of the covers in the folder but Zappiti is not looking for them.

Any ideas?
In addition to adding your own posters as Sutton8 mentioned, this link should do what you want. I was able to get it to work for .iso files, but haven't tried .mkv files.
https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...er-backgrounds
post #3396 of 3446 Old 06-14-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechee View Post
In addition to adding your own posters as Sutton8 mentioned, this link should do what you want. I was able to get it to work for .iso files, but haven't tried .mkv files.
https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...er-backgrounds

I got it to work by right clicking on the image of the movie and adding the covers. All is well. Now working on creating personal Categories (which was done with the file system I used with the Shield/Plex). I do like the "look" of this much better than the look I get from the Shield/Plex. Image quality seems to be excellent so no complaints there.
post #3397 of 3446 Old 06-14-2020, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Yes the Cambridge is a Blu-ray player but it is tasked by me with doing exactly the same thing as the Zappiti, playing BDMV folders over my network. Which it does properly as I say, and is a good reference point.

I just tried loading 1917 as an example. Perfectly smooth on the Cambridge, nobody would make a comment. On the Zappiti at first there were some broken blue circles spinning, the picture/audio dropped in and out and there were large pauses until the top menu was eventually loaded. It was as if it was struggling to string the files together. The experience was poor and I see similar often.

However, the start the movie with subtitle issue was fixed on 1917 and they were off. After the 3.15 update I had tested one file to see and it still started with subs but that might have been a rogue test. Still no resume on BDMV or ISO menu playback, though there is on MKV and non menu playback of individual files.

I have the One SE and Mini and two Cambridge Audios. In both my setups the experience is consistent. As I said the Dune RealBox does slightly better than the Zap but still not up to par.
I just wanted to add that I've had very similar results as sutton8 with Blu Ray menus from BDMV or ISO files. I have my Zappiti set up to ask if I want to play from Menu or not each time. This way I can play menus if the family wants to play bonus features, or I can select No and go right to the movie. Unfortunately, there's no way that always works well. Just this week, I watched Ironman 2 directly without going through the menu and it ended up playing a version with Shield Vault stuff popping up and annoying the family. I tested later using the menu and it worked fine. The next night we watched Ironman 3 and the menu would not load so the only option was to play directly and fortunately that worked.

Regarding subtitles since 3.15 update, they are OFF by default only when playing direct without the menu. If you play through the menu, the subtitles are still on by default and you have to manually turn them off.
post #3398 of 3446 Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can someone educate me..a few questions

I am looking at the One se.
Looking to play uhd/1080 and tv shows with atmos
This will be in a decade HT set up.

I haven't decided yet if I want the nvidia shield to be my streaming device in the HT space.
But I think I'll add nvidia shield to the TV room.

Can the NS stream content off the One se from the network?

How would the One se compare to a Synology with plex.
post #3399 of 3446 Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Can someone educate me..a few questions

I am looking at the One se.
Looking to play uhd/1080 and tv shows with atmos
This will be in a decade HT set up.

I haven't decided yet if I want the nvidia shield to be my streaming device in the HT space.
But I think I'll add nvidia shield to the TV room.

Can the NS stream content off the One se from the network?

How would the One se compare to a Synology with plex.

The One SE can be the data source for your Shield (MKV files). The Synology NAS has the ability to run in a RAID configuration and I don't think the One SE can, nor does does the SE support Plex. For streaming ripped movies, the One SE does that as well. I like the Zappiti players. But if you are looking at using other apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc, then the Shield does that while the SE won't. (I currently use the Shield for those apps but a Zappiti Player for playing my ripped files. Zappiti has a Server module that can run on a Synology and I am doing that now. I currently use a Synology NAS/Zappiti Server. but am moving to a Zappit NAS. Much more straight forward and less cumberson ripping process.
post #3400 of 3446 Old 06-30-2020, 08:16 PM

Thank you.

I am on the fence with Netflix and Disney
I have Amazon so I might use it.

I might just keep the HT space just for movies to keep it simple..

Maybe add the NS to steam with apps.

The ZAPPITI se can be used as a network?
post #3401 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:

AS a Network? Not sure what you mean. But ON your network, yes. See HERE
post #3402 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it can also be used as a server both SMB and DLNA (Open WRT).

post #3403 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 03:08 PM

So a ZAPPITI can do the same as a Synology

Is the mini something I should consider

Or just get the SE for a little more furniture proof
post #3404 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In principle yes, it can act as a server. I have an SE and a Mini but they are essentially the same bar different storage options. But if you are prepared to use USB and hubs the amount of drives you could add to either is practically limitless.

post #3405 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4100 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Quote:

How about Mini plus Synology?

A dedicated media server like a Synology cannot be replaced by a player. The only thing the player can do is offer access to connected drives. A good NAS can offer transcoding, multiple stream access, installed 3rd party apps for management and a lot more.
post #3406 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A dedicated media server like a Synology cannot be replaced by a player. The only thing the player can do is offer access to connected drives. A good NAS can offer transcoding, multiple stream access, installed 3rd party apps for management and a lot more.

And since he already has a Zappiti, the Zappiti NAS is another alternative. I am switching to it from my Synology NAS. Why? The simplicity of the process. Stick a disc into the built in ripping drive and when completed, it is ejected. More expensive that a NAS + ripping drives? Yes but if your time is important, then worth it (at least to me). Full ISO files vs MKV files that take up a bit more space but then you have easier access to individual chapters (great for concert videos). Sorry this product did not exist when I decided to rip all of my movies. Would have saved hundreds of hours. But never too late to switch.
post #3407 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 08:41 PM
L M

Backing up. Server went down.

I was backing up my collection to the zappiti cloud server and it went down right in the middle of the backup. The server has been down now for 1/2 day and it looks like my offline collection is corrupted due to the timing of the server going offline. I’m just checking in to make sure other’s are experiencing this problem as well. Obviously I can run movies through Explorer, but its handicapped without the full movie wall. Probably by the time someone responds it’ll be back up again. Just seems like the server has been down for a longer time than usual. Please tell me it’s not just me having this problem.
post #3408 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 09:33 PM
L M

Quote:
Originally Posted by L M View Post
I was backing up my collection to the zappiti cloud server and it went down right in the middle of the backup. The server has been down now for 1/2 day and it looks like my offline collection is corrupted due to the timing of the server going offline. I’m just checking in to make sure other’s are experiencing this problem as well. Obviously I can run movies through Explorer, but its handicapped without the full movie wall. Probably by the time someone responds it’ll be back up again. Just seems like the server has been down for a longer time than usual. Please tell me it’s not just me having this problem.
Edit. Sounds like a me problem with blame on the box. First clue was when I went to the zappiti IOS app and it signed me in with my collection in tact. Ended up having to do a factory reset and then resigned in to get my collection back. Have zero ideas on why a routine backup to the server would take the server connection down with it. Just kept saying disconnected server in settings. Ethernet was fine. I’ve got other internet apps in the player that were working even when I couldn’t access the backup collection server. Once I restore my other apps, I’m going to try the backup again. Fingers crossed that I don’t experience the same problem.
post #3409 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The simplicity of the process. Stick a disc into the built in ripping drive and when completed, it is ejected. More expensive that a NAS + ripping drives? Yes but if your time is important, then worth it (at least to me)
To be honest the free MakeMKV software in conjunction with PC offers the same level of convenience at no extra cost. I do full backups of my Blu-ray and UHD to BDMV so there is no need to select tracks etc..., you simply hit a button. The PC also acts as server. For me there would be no gain in the Zap NAS other than a negative two thousand balance on my credit card.

post #3410 of 3446 Old 07-01-2020, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
To be honest the free MakeMKV software in conjunction with PC offers the same level of convenience at no extra cost. I do full backups of my Blu-ray and UHD to BDMV so there is no need to select tracks etc..., you simply hit a button. The PC also acts as server. For me there would be no gain in the Zap NAS other than a negative two thousand balance on my credit card.
That’s not really correct. While makeMKV is free while in beta, you need to manually update the key. Sometimes a key expires and Mike doesn’t publish a new one right away. So you need to buy it(yes, it’s not expensive).
Also, makeMKV doesn’t update automatically. So there is some manual Labour involved.

Sure, you can build pretty much the same as the Zappiti NAS with anydvd in conjunction with the Zappiti server. But you have to set it up by yourself.

You just can’t beat the simplicity of the Zappiti NAS and that’s what audioguy was referring to. There is no need to press any button besides the one to open the drive, the rest is being taken care of.
post #3411 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
That’s not really correct. While makeMKV is free while in beta, you need to manually update the key. Sometimes a key expires and Mike doesn’t publish a new one right away. So you need to buy it(yes, it’s not expensive).
Also, makeMKV doesn’t update automatically. So there is some manual Labour involved.

Sure, you can build pretty much the same as the Zappiti NAS with anydvd in conjunction with the Zappiti server. But you have to set it up by yourself.

You just can’t beat the simplicity of the Zappiti NAS and that’s what audioguy was referring to. There is no need to press any button besides the one to open the drive, the rest is being taken care of.
To my discredit I have used the free version of MakeMKV for about the last ten years. Worst case scenario is that the key disappears for one week. This is only happens once every other month so no big deal unless you are ripping discs daily, in which case you should pay the $40.

Yes you do have to setup yourself but for anyone even remotely PC literate there is no issue or time involved. Absolutely no rocket science involved adding an external burner to your PC or adding the Zappiti server software.

So if that is what Zappiti is offering for £2,399 they can keep it.

post #3412 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You (and me) are obviously not their target audience. If you compare the NAS to something like Kaleidescape it really is a bargain and does even offer features that they don’t (like UHD BD support).
Nevertheless I think it’s a great product and I do have friend for whom that is the perfect device.
post #3413 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
You (and me) are obviously not their target audience. If you compare the NAS to something like Kaleidescape it really is a bargain and does even offer features that they don’t (like UHD BD support).
Nevertheless I think it’s a great product and I do have friend for whom that is the perfect device.
Yes no doubt there will be some people for who this device works as an efficient solution. My only point is that for the thousands Zappiti charges similar backup and serving of files can easily be achieved for little effort, requiring little knowledge, at no real expense.

post #3414 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #3415 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:

I've ripped over 500 movies with MakeMKV onto a Synology NAS, so I am more than familiar with the process. If you have figured out a way to get easy chapter access from your MKV files I am more than curious to learn how. And let's just say our definitions of "same level of convenience" are significantly different. That said, if you are 100% perfectly content with all of your current functionality and process, (as I was until I saw what the Zappiti NAS offered), you are good to go, and clearly, the Zappiti NAS is not for you.
post #3416 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I've been using a Mini with a 4-Drive Synology DS418 for nearly 2 years. It's never let me down.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Zidoo Z9s, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #3417 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yes no doubt there will be some people for who this device works as an efficient solution. My only point is that for the thousands Zappiti charges similar backup and serving of files can easily be achieved for little effort, requiring little knowledge, at no real expense.

The target for the Zappiti NAS may not be the DIY guy (though I am one of those). But I have, for example, two calibration clients who had no interest in gluing together the pieces (ripping drives, ripping software, assembling and setting up the NAS, and running the software) but did want a way to backup and play their media. I have at least two more who most certainly will shell out the extra money for the overall convenience. Yes, the DIY approach is probably $2000 less but having operated both, I can assure you the total amount of time to rip, for example, 100 movies is shorter with the Zappiti - and if you are talking about 500+ movies, it turns out to be pretty significant. Is that worth $2000. To them it most certainly was and I tend to agree.
post #3418 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The "catch" to this is you are tying yourself down to Zappiti. Don't get me wrong, I love my mini 4k, but if you had approached me 5+ years ago with the same questions, I would have said "I love my popcorn hour + NAS combo". When the popcorn support went the way of the Dodo, I started looking for viable replacements, and settled on a Zappiti.

I had to do very little to my files to get up and running.

Who is to say what the future will bring? I tend to try not to combine my devices if I can help it.

Just my .02
post #3419 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson30 View Post
The "catch" to this is you are tying yourself down to Zappiti. Don't get me wrong, I love my mini 4k, but if you had approached me 5+ years ago with the same questions, I would have said "I love my popcorn hour + NAS combo". When the popcorn support went the way of the Dodo, I started looking for viable replacements, and settled on a Zappiti.

Who is to say what the future will bring? I tend to try not to combine my devices if I can help it.

Just my .02

That is something to at least consider, but Zappiti been around a while (6 years ..... vs the 20 years for Synology). And, unlike owning something like a Kaleidescape, if Zappiti (the company) "goes toes up", you can always move the data from their NAS to something else. And with a Synology or Zappiti or any other NAS, I ALWAYS keep a backup of my files (music, photos and movies), off-site. I've spent way too many hours ripping all of those files to ever want to rip them again.
post #3420 of 3446 Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson30 View Post

Just my .02
Not really. The NAS is running Windows Server and anyDVD for ripping. Nothing to do with Zappiti. You can just access all your movies via SMB.
johng likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page