Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 607Likes

post #91 of 3426 Old 01-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
@sutton8 , not sure what to suggest... maybe try doing a clean install w/image of the latest f/w on your Zidoo.
I don't have a Zidoo anymore, sent it back after a fruitless weekend

As it stands I'm delighted with the Zappiti but there are some punters in the UK less than enamoured by the sound of it.

Hell I'm so pleased I bought a second one

7.1 Denon AVR-4700H, Rotel RMB 1555, Audiolab M-PWR, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver 8), Seismic 110, XBone, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome/Seismic 110, Firestick 4K, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi folks,

One thing I haven't found about this player is the following: is it possible to install Android apps for streaming services, like Netflix, YouTube, etc.?

It's not clear from their website: "Android: Download and install Android Apps from the GooglePlay. Easy access with streaming contents providers, VOD/SVOD, catch up TV (such as KARTINA TV / КАРТИНА ТВ), musical playback, social networks, news, weather info, trailers, games, internet radio and more… Warning! Some Android apps are not supported!"

I currently have a Mede8er 600X3D and I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks!
post #93 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by feadin View Post
Hi folks,

One thing I haven't found about this player is the following: is it possible to install Android apps for streaming services, like Netflix, YouTube, etc.?

It's not clear from their website: "Android: Download and install Android Apps from the GooglePlay. Easy access with streaming contents providers, VOD/SVOD, catch up TV (such as KARTINA TV / КАРТИНА ТВ), musical playback, social networks, news, weather info, trailers, games, internet radio and more… Warning! Some Android apps are not supported!"

I currently have a Mede8er 600X3D and I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks!
Yes, you can use apps like Netflix, Youtube etc. but they don`t support 4K/HDR playback.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Yes, you can use apps like Netflix, Youtube etc. but they don`t support 4K/HDR playback.
Thanks for the quick answer! Where to do you actually find this info on the Zappiti website? Are the apps pre-loaded or is there the possibility to add apps?
post #95 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by feadin View Post
Thanks for the quick answer! Where to do you actually find this info on the Zappiti website? Are the apps pre-loaded or is there the possibility to add apps?
The player comes with some basic pre-installed apps and then you can add more by using the GooglePlay Store.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #96 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
The player comes with some basic pre-installed apps and then you can add more by using the GooglePlay Store.
Great thanks, that's good to know.
post #97 of 3426 Old 01-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well i bite the dust & ordered the zappiti one. After all of the reading it was time for me to upgrade from my mede8er x10003d media player. Looking forward to all the new features & 4k. If it does everything it says i will sell my other media player. Also ordered a 8tb internal hard drive to go with it.
post #98 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest1426 View Post
Well i bite the dust & ordered the zappiti one. After all of the reading it was time for me to upgrade from my mede8er x10003d media player. Looking forward to all the new features & 4k. If it does everything it says i will sell my other media player. Also ordered a 8tb internal hard drive to go with it.
I'll be interested to read your views about it, since I currently also have a Mede8er. But I guess you won't receive it before end of March...
post #99 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I don't have a Zidoo anymore, sent it back after a fruitless weekend

As it stands I'm delighted with the Zappiti but there are some punters in the UK less than enamoured by the sound of it.

Hell I'm so pleased I bought a second one
Can I ask you if you saw a difference pQ-wise? I have both and found the Zappiti much sharper. If you put the sharpness up on your display, then they come closer, but Zappiti then more natural. On ly setting the Zidoo had a bit more depth, immersion. Also a problem for me is, the Zappiti cannot play BD structure so I cannot use my THX calibration in it and with the output I use (y 4:4:4), contrast is a bit high.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #100 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post
Can I ask you if you saw a difference pQ-wise? I have both and found the Zappiti much sharper. If you put the sharpness up on your display, then they come closer, but Zappiti then more natural. On ly setting the Zidoo had a bit more depth, immersion. Also a problem for me is, the Zappiti cannot play BD structure so I cannot use my THX calibration in it and with the output I use (y 4:4:4), contrast is a bit high.
I didn't notice too much of a PQ difference between them. Nothing very obvious anyway.

Just that one works and the other was badly broken.

7.1 Denon AVR-4700H, Rotel RMB 1555, Audiolab M-PWR, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver 8), Seismic 110, XBone, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033
post #101 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
You could import it from the UK. I got a second one off a dealer called Ricky yesterday. He might ship to the States but I've no idea if he does that. He's a good guy well known on the UK forums. As of yesterday he still had some stock.

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/
I haven't received response from Ricky yet but I don't think they ship to the US based on their checkout options. Any other place you think might export it to the US?
post #102 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, how's everyone doing? New to the forum, and I have a few questions about Zappiti.

At this time, I have a WDLIVE Hub and a WDLIVE TV, both of which are getting old. The Hub doesn't even get firmware updates anymore as far as I know. (Most likely the other one doesn't either.) Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading and the Zappiti 4K Duo is one of the ones I'm considering. The other is the Dune HD Solo 4K.

Some pretty basic questions that may have been answered, but I must have missed: Can Kodi be installed on either one of these? Also, as far as I can find, it looks like the Dune has full bluray menu support of .iso, but Zappiti has only light, correct? And the Dune does not have optical or digital coaxial outputs, where the Zappiti does?

My big concern with Zappiti is that I read on another forum that some people were having trouble with accessing Windows shares over their network. Anyone have any experiences with that? Cause that would be a deal breaker with me, for sure.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I am leaning more towards the Zappiti, although I am having some doubts.

Thanks!
post #103 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Kodi is not possible on the Dune. It is possible on the Zappiti, but playback directly via Kodi is not good. Solution is to use Kodi with an external player. That said, the Zappiti Media Center is pretty great.
Yes, Dune has full menu support for BDs whereas the Zappiti does not. For audio, just look at their website, I don't know by heart.
No issues with accessing SMB shares on my end.
pagan65 likes this.
post #104 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Kodi is not possible on the Dune. It is possible on the Zappiti, but playback directly via Kodi is not good. Solution is to use Kodi with an external player. That said, the Zappiti Media Center is pretty great.
Yes, Dune has full menu support for BDs whereas the Zappiti does not. For audio, just look at their website, I don't know by heart.
No issues with accessing SMB shares on my end.
Is your review ready for perusal?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #105 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

@pagan65
If you are referring to someone mentioning network problems on the UK site then that was me. Twice it happened, where I was getting an unable to access folder message. I had to refresh the link in Zappiti and rescrape. No idea why it just suddenly happened. I've now moved my drives to the player itself so no longer have network issues. Incidentally I have a second Zappiti in my bedroom and it has no problem accessing all the media attached to the other player over the network.

@FuzzRaven
Checking Ricky's page on Amazon he doesn't seem to have any international rates so probably doesn't. I've dropped him a text and will PM you if he says different. There is a list of international suppliers on the Zappiti website.

On the question of apps someone on another forum noticed the Aptoide app preinstalled. This lists apps optimised for use with TVs. The Spotify app I got from the main store was useless for navigation but the one off Aptiode worked fine.

I can only see SMB shares from my PC. That's fine but the device's Explorer does not see any of my DLNA servers such as Serviio. Can others confirm the same?
pagan65 likes this.

post #106 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Is your review ready for perusal?
It's translated. Taking a break now, after it I will revise it. Should be online in about 3 hours.
blenky likes this.
post #107 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando64 View Post
Can we?Hope so because I fear in the end that will not came as simple as that. Don't get me wong I hope you can be right but have some ??? Why?
Well because there were also 2 (one out\ one in) in the last 4k family units and
I wonder if this present hdmi In will be fully functional for real.
BTW Can you or anyone explain why this :
last model seems to had issues with its hdmi in. But the strange is that
The spec didn’t even mention the units had one hdmi in port
and it seems this happens again with these ones now because:

In the Info for last 4k model:
Full Range of A/V Connectors: S/PDIF Optical Audio output, AV analogue output via an adaptor, HDMI CEC output to simplify the connection of any device.
In Info for new 4k hdr units:
Full Range of A/V Connectors: S/PDIF coaxial and optical audio output, audio analogue output (cinch), CVBS video analog output, HDMI 2.0a (Deep Color, xvYCC, 12 bits, and CEC).
Again not a word about Hdmi in !....
I asked them why there never was a word about it last time and told them that
the spec of the unit only mentions one (same now for the new 4k hdr)
That I couldn’t found info about the hdmi in.
Well, about it and its capabilities nowhere.
Even in the manual\user guide it appeared only in the schematics

So I put also these simple questions to them
a) what were its capabilities ?
a1- could i link other device true it and upscale an 1080(p\i 50/60 or 575\ 50\60) or whatever image\signal to 4k 8 bit 24 \30 444 or 4.2.2 to a tv that has only hdmi 1.4 or thru a device such the fury Integral to a 2.2 hdcp tv\hdmi 2.0 ?
….and I got these two replies

first
You can access the HDMI IN function by 2 pressing YELLOW button.”
Second
We do not mention the HDMI IN on our webpage since this function is not efficient
So, we do not recommend to use it”

Well I wrote them again
Any way can you tell me what was supposed to do \ allow even if it’s not working as it should ?
Is it really working at all?
I must say one of the reasons of my choice to buy one was concerned with that input.
(…) So I asked them also finally this:
Why was it left of without a firmware fix until now .

If it happens to be a possible fix the real value of the machine would raise a lot. So why this ? ”
Any one here has a clue about this?
Can you or any one explain why this behavior
(well it seems the same, since once again they don’t mention that feature or show any particular concerns about it once more )
Best regards to you all & keep the faith
HDMI input doesn't work for me. Besides recording there is also a PIP function. Unfortunately, the player always reports "no input signal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzRaven View Post
That sounds great! Thanks for your feedback. I was trying to find more information regarding Zidoo X9S if it allows for writing on the external USB HDD but it seems it needed to be rooted for that. Would be great if Sledgehamma can test out a powered hub on USB 3.0 for us to see if it would work. As soon as I find out all these details (including future Dolby Vision support or lack thereof) I might just put in an order on their website that's supposed to ship out this March. Wish I could find another way to get it in the US sooner though.
I just copied a file from one HDD to a USB thumb drive via a passive USB 3.0 hub. Worked perfectly.
sutton8 likes this.
post #108 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #109 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the great review. Much appreciated. Is it me only or are the photos very blurred and unreadable text v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #110 of 3426 Old 01-29-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The pictures are blurred when you click on them?
If you are talking about the pictures for the evaluation, that is because I really zoomed in for those.
post #111 of 3426 Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. Having a hard time making up my mind.
I have quite a few Blu-ray iso's, so having full Blu-ray menu access would be great. But from what I've read the Dune has some drawbacks I'm not sure I can overlook. One is (from what I understand) the HDD bay won't fit a standard laptop drive. It's 7 mm I believe. And I would really prefer to have optical or coaxial audio outputs.
On the other hand, I've read some pretty bad things about Zappiti and customer sevice.
Going to have to think some more on it. If Zapppiti only had full Blu-ray menu navigation I wouldn't think twice about it. Wonder if there's any chance at all it might be added sometime later via a firmware update...

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
post #112 of 3426 Old 01-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
I just copied a file from one HDD to a USB thumb drive via a passive USB 3.0 hub. Worked perfectly.
Thank you so much! Great review. That's the last push I actually needed. Jumped in and now awaiting the arrival of my Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. I have two 8TB USB 3.0 external drives to be used for it.

Quote:
@FuzzRaven
Checking Ricky's page on Amazon he doesn't seem to have any international rates so probably doesn't. I've dropped him a text and will PM you if he says different. There is a list of international suppliers on the Zappiti website.
Ricky just responded to me and have confirmed that they can sell the item to a US customer. Already ordered one and he's shipping it out tomorrow. Thanks so much for telling me about this shop!!! I told him you sent me his way. He probably knows it was you as he mentioned he was texting with a customer.

Edit: Probably will regret getting the Zappiti once the new Sigma SoC-based media player gets released. But maybe firmware update can change/fix the PQ methods to allow the Zappiti to render better quality upscaled videos.

Last edited by FuzzRaven; 01-30-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #113 of 3426 Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Have i missed it or there's no slider or settings on all the settings menu for the hdmi in at all ?
post #114 of 3426 Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to spawn_lmg
Zappiti this is Eweat product Even firmware from Еweat, just added zappiti explorer and zappiti mediacenter and launcher.
I run zappiti explorer and mediacenter on Zidoo X9S, but need token code from zappiti, which is written on the label from the bottom-top boxes, and is tied to the account.
post #115 of 3426 Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'm testing the One 4K.

I set up my account, and the language to English in the settings. Display is in English in the settings panel, but when I start the Explorer, I get Arabic and I can't understand what's written and how to do anything with it.

Is there a specific setting for the explorer language? I can't find it.

Robert
post #116 of 3426 Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_lmg View Post
Zappiti this is Eweat product Even firmware from Еweat, just added zappiti explorer and zappiti mediacenter and launcher.
I run zappiti explorer and mediacenter on Zidoo X9S, but need token code from zappiti, which is written on the label from the bottom-top boxes, and is tied to the account.
Well as I said above the Zidoo was a complete error laden dog and the Zappiti works to spec with a more elegant non Kodi interface. I don't care which Chinese OEM put them together, they are not the same thing.

post #117 of 3426 Old 02-02-2017, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No slow motion playback - or am I missing something?
post #118 of 3426 Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to spawn_lmg
Quote:
Well as I said above the Zidoo was a complete error laden dog and the Zappiti works to spec with a more elegant non Kodi interface. I don't care which Chinese OEM put them together, they are not the same thing.
Zidoo wrote many of their applications! A EWEAT took stock SDK, and the same firmware in Zappiti, nothing in it is not his!
post #119 of 3426 Old 02-03-2017, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello,
I'm also looking into getting a ONE 4K HDR, I'm very happy to hear that Kodi and Android 6.0 works on it, would you guys know if it also supports Flash?

It would be fantastic as overall I still feel YAMJ / Eversion is still the best jukebox/indexer out there for my needs. I have a pretty big collection of movies and TV shows and my own videos each with it's own NFO and art. A lot of this stuff cannot be picked up by the scrapers. Yamj just uses the NFO and it's done. Using a scraper that cannot handle NFOs is out of question for me.

Currently I ran the YAMJ with the Dune base 3D and it's brother the Zappiti player 3D, they both work great.

I also have the Dune solo 4K but it doesn't support Flash, the built in jukebox it's too limited and doesn't use NFOs and Yadis is also pain to use as it doesn't pick up the NFOs. It currently still doesn't support ANdroid but I guess it will never will....HD Dune always made some fantastic hardware which play mostly everything but have never been great on features.

I tried Kodi on the Zidoo X9S and it can be an alternative to Yamj though it lacks several features or they are a pain to implement as you have to set them manually for each file. Unfortunately the biggest problem is that the Zidoo has an inferior PQ to the Dune and Zappiti players and I cannot get to work the auto resolution. I just want the player to output the native resolution of the file and let the TV do the upscaling if necessary. No matter what I tried I couldn't make it work. Changing the video settings every time you have a different resolution from SD to 720 to 1080 to 2160 is also a pain.

Thanks
post #120 of 3426 Old 02-03-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Media player newbie.

My son has a Dune player and is able to copy his collection to his hard drive and manage/view his collection that way.

Since as far as I know 4K videos can't be ripped to a hard drive yet, how do you manage/view 4K content on this player?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page