Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 560Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 3024 Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Member
 
johnnyquest1426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
You need to go into the settings of the jukebox. Have a look at the pictures in my review (see signature) in order to see where exactly this option is.
I looked at your review on the zappiti player. I have the zappiti one 4k & when i am in the media center i don't see the option to change my 2 row to anything else. If i am missing something sorry to be ignorant on this.Just setting up & playing with different options for the best i can get. So far i am impressed.
johnnyquest1426 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 3024 Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know how to add categories to the film section (like drama, cult, etc...). The instructions in the booklet make it seem like there should just be a category button at the top and there isn't in mine. I am using the latest firmware
benevolent is offline  
post #153 of 3024 Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest1426 View Post
I looked at your review on the zappiti player. I have the zappiti one 4k & when i am in the media center i don't see the option to change my 2 row to anything else. If i am missing something sorry to be ignorant on this.Just setting up & playing with different options for the best i can get. So far i am impressed.
When you are somewhere in Zappiti Media Center click menu. On the left there will be a settings option. The are a number of items and in one of them is the ability to change the number of lines. Three works best for me.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
sutton8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 3024 Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,224
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Kloppers View Post
Actually, Brajesh, this is a copy from the Zidoo website. It (the writing) was just copied/pasted by Zappitti, which I find a bit distasteful. There is also some discrepancies with the Zappitti write-up. Stupid from them to do a copy/paste as some of the very unique features written into the Zidoo hardware they claim as their own, which it is not. The Zippitti (like NexBox, R-Box and many more) is a fly-by-night company and will not be there in a couple of months to assist in the hardware. If you really want to see who is supporting their devices, just go to the manufacturer's website and forum to see what is happening. Zidoo is of such a proud stable they do not even apply censorship to negative reviews. They just work harder to disprove negativity!

Facts:
  • I have been in contact with Zidoo and Zidoo has no connection with Zappitti company.
  • All Zappitti firmwares is a copied/pirated release of Zidoo's firmware.
  • Zidoo are one of the few companies who not only works very hard at delivering timorous releases of updates into the market, but also have a huge beta-testing user-base, making for some of the best, if not the best after-market supported devices.
  • Zidoo does not condone piracy...

As a last point, I am from South Africa and have no ties with the Zidoo company, other than using their products.

regards from a hot Cape Town
Aubrey (aka cyber7)
Zappiti, with all their flaws, is certainly not a fly by night company. They've been around for at least a decade now and will most likely be around for another.
Necropyro, a5ian300zx and blenky like this.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #155 of 3024 Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Kloppers View Post
The Zippitti (like NexBox, R-Box and many more) is a fly-by-night company and will not be there in a couple of months to assist in the hardware.
Not true at all!
Sound to me like you had a bad experience with Z and now you're trying to discredit them.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
BakeApples is online now  
post #156 of 3024 Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Member
 
johnnyquest1426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Zappiti, with all their flaws, is certainly not a fly by night company. They've been around for at least a decade now and will most likely be around for another.
Well i finally got my movies to display 3 rows. Thank you for your help. I found this when i was in the movies. I hit the menu button on the remote/settings/look to your left & you will see settings there. Click on it & brings up option that says 2 rows, click on it & gives you options. Starting to figure this out. Manual doesn't give in deep detail. Learned how to delete movies, re identify, rename.INTERESTING!
johnnyquest1426 is offline  
post #157 of 3024 Old 02-15-2017, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Sledgehamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Zappiti, with all their flaws, is certainly not a fly by night company. They've been around for at least a decade now and will most likely be around for another.
Exactly! Zappiti has been around for quite some time now. I would love to know where he gets his "facts" from.
a5ian300zx likes this.
Sledgehamma is offline  
post #158 of 3024 Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
[quote=Nando64;50508889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
HDMI input doesn't work for me. Besides recording there is also a PIP function. Unfortunately, the player always reports "no input signal".

Hdmi In need a fix and shoud work
Maybe a bit out of topic here but still
I decided to do some experiment hoping to find something that could be useful
To improve Hdmi in
So
After my Zappiti arrival I did some experiment with hdmi in and here is the info about what I found
For this –this time*** I dint’t linked the player to a 4k tv –that will be done next. For now I just used
1- 1 regular hd 1080 p (& 1080 24 capable) sony tv
2- 1 oppo 95 Br player (hdmi 1,4a)
3- 1 regular cable tv box capable of only 1080\50
4- 1 regular DVD player yhamah capable of only 1080\50\60i
5- 1 denon 3930 DVD player capable of 1080p
6- 1 denon av amp (1,3 hdmi )
* Zappiti 4k player hdmi out to TV thru denon
**(I guess that’s one of the reasons why in its settings only appeared resolutions for standard & hd till 1080p the other the TV itself being limited to regular 1080p)
*** (for now because next time I will use my 4k tv and my 4k cable TV box)
Results
1-All devices were accepted fine but not the oppo. Image of oppo menu or movie shown
on TV was greener than green – incompatible !
Funny because this was the only 1.4a hdmi device there besides the Zappiti !...
2- Cable TV box
2.1-just passing the signal thru the denon “direct” to TV
2.2 – Using denon setting for resolution
a) 2.1-results were better = the image issues were a bit less noticeable
b) Setting 1080 p for output from 1080i TV box gave the worst results in motion.
Completely inacceptable for a football game or movies
c) Setting box TV to 720p:
C1- setting 1080i in Zappiti output resolution gave better image than c2 but (still inacceptable)
C2-- setting 1080p in Zappiti output resolution gave better image than 1080i input signal
(Still inacceptable)
C3- setting 720p in Zappiti output resolution gave the best image
-almost acceptable for moves and TV
- Not so: to football\ sports with lots of motion but much better than with 1080i sources

First I thought: well it likes progressive inputs and dislikes interlaced .
If it was just that I wouldn’t be writing this.
After doing same with the other devices I realized this: (the important part of this mg)
1-the info about resolution that appears at the bottom of TV it is about the signal in i Zappiti
2- When the input was 1080 50 or 60i regardless the device (TV box \ DVD players)
The info always shown 1080 25 I and it should be 108050i
So the hdmi in app has this malfunction interpretation
I think the image issues with standard hd material are due to this bad interpretation of the input signal if that one is interlaced and not progressive
Can this help the improvement of hdmi in ?
Nando64 is offline  
post #159 of 3024 Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey Kloppers View Post
Facts:
  • I have been in contact with Zidoo and Zidoo has no connection with Zappitti company.
  • All Zappitti firmwares is a copied/pirated release of Zidoo's firmware.
  • Zidoo are one of the few companies who not only works very hard at delivering timorous releases of updates into the market, but also have a huge beta-testing user-base, making for some of the best, if not the best after-market supported devices.
  • Zidoo does not condone piracy...

As a last point, I am from South Africa and have no ties with the Zidoo company, other than using their products.

regards from a hot Cape Town
Aubrey (aka cyber7)
Guys, i can't tell about Zappiti, but as an owner of X9S i suggest all of you to visit Zidoo official Forum and just count words like "issue, dont work, fix, problem, bug" etc. Do it just to prove this gentleman from hot cape town is a professional liar or hired endorser, wich speaks like ads poster on exhibition. No facts.
So if someone decide to buy zidoo in favor of Zappiti or something else, please read my honest Zidoo X9S review in corresponded thread.
Necropyro likes this.
dennys84 is offline  
post #160 of 3024 Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennys84 View Post
Guys, i can't tell about Zappiti, but as an owner of X9S i suggest all of you to visit Zidoo official Forum and just count words like "issue, dont work, fix, problem, bug" etc. Do it just to prove this gentleman from hot cape town is a professional liar or hired endorser, wich speaks like ads poster on exhibition. No facts.
So if someone decide to buy zidoo in favor of Zappiti or something else, please read my honest Zidoo X9S review in corresponded thread.
There is this old film called Billy Liar. I assumed that the guy was him come back to life.

I don't know whether there is some sort of Raspberry award for the most fictions and ridiculous post of 2017 but he is an early front runner and has my vote in the bag.

I owned the Zidoo X9S for one weekend in December and it was a dog. The Zappiti just works. As they say in Essex, England: End of.
Necropyro, BakeApples and dennys84 like this.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
sutton8 is offline  
post #161 of 3024 Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,450
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I've learned (from an insider; can't reveal) that the changelog for Zidoo, Zappiti, Eweat and others using RTD1295 comes from Realtek engineers, and each manufacturer can copy/paste to customers or edit (or custom-message it) first.
robnix, a5ian300zx and Sledgehamma like this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #162 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello,
well I have to say that having tried side by side both the Zappiti duo 4K HHR and the Zidoo X9s with latest firmwares for about a week now I personally think that the Zidoo has an edge on the stability of the system and their player (the actual software for playing back movies) is better than the Zappiti. With the Zap I experienced some video drops out with SMB and especially on 4K material there's serious stuttering unless you match the player output to the content (i.e. set resolution and fps same as content), if left in auto or the auto 23.96/24 p 59/60 will also cause drop outs. This is a bit of a hassle since you have to go into the settings everytime your videos change resolution/fps and the video info doesn't work for me (mostly MKV) from the player.
Also subs (.srt) sometimes have a problem on the ZAP where the first few characters are omitted from a line.

All the above through SMB or Zappiti mediacenter streaming compare with the Zidoo.

What I don't like about both but I guess is a limitation of Android (I might be wrong) is that I would like them to switch the resolution output automatically based on the content played and let my TV do the necessary scaling if needed, but this is not possible as far I understood. With the Dune players there's an option for this.

I still have to check overall PQ as I would tend to think the Zap might have an edge here as they always delivered the best PQ in the past with the rebadged Dune players on par with Dune obviously. I also hope that the extra cost would also be due in this department (not comparing the DUO but the mini).

Regarding the Zappiti mediacenter it works fine on the player but it's bugged on my PC (win 8.1) where I keep my stuff.

Also installed KODI (1.7) and it works very well (I prefer it to the Zap mediacenter) but as SledgHamma pointed out the internal player is crap. I'm trying to use an external player or the Zap player itself but so far I cannot get it to work (actually Sledgehamma if you don't mind I would like to PM you on this? thx).

Everything else seems to be working fine apart from the app killer which doesn't kill some apps though I'm really not into android and only use the player through a jukebox really.
clint74 is offline  
post #163 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
This is a bit of a hassle since you have to go into the settings everytime your videos change resolution/fps
If i understood correctly, Zappiti can't do autoframerate switching?
dennys84 is offline  
post #164 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennys84 View Post
If i understood correctly, Zappiti can't do autoframerate switching?
It does but it's flawed. My experience is that it doesn't it doesn't change the resolution based on the content playing. My understanding:

Resolution:

If the output is set to auto It will only automatically negotiate an output setting with the display/receiver and then stick to it whatever the content played, this is just the "initial resolution/framerate negotiation". The dune players have an option to change the resolution output on the fly automatically based on the content played.
Obviously you can change the output from 720 to 4096 with everything in between in combination with the framerates manually. Which is what I do to avoid stuttering, as I hate all the TV soap opera effects and leave everything to off there. Selecting the same output res/frames as the played content will give excellent results with basically no stuttering (other than the minimal one that afflicts my TV LG C6V), if I don't there's much more additional stuttering from the Zap. Actually the stuttering has to do with the frame rate and not the resolution itself.

My problem with this is that I find the TV to do a better job at scaling HD (720 or 1080) to UHD, hence my preference to change the output resolution.

Framerate:

If you select the auto 23.97/24p and/or the auto 59./60p it stutters badly (HD and UHD) as described before and often there are blackouts of few seconds mostly with UHD content.
If you turn off these features the problems disappear.

Unfortunately with the Zap and my TV there's no actual way to check what frame rate is automatically selected if the auto options are enabled as the LG doesn't show framerate info, just resolution and the Zap player info during playback doesn't work!

As said before I play mostly MKV files streaming from my PC. Tried connecting an ext HD (NFTS) via usb but didn't pick it up in explorer!
clint74 is offline  
post #165 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
It does but it's flawed. My experience is that it doesn't it doesn't change the resolution based on the content playing.
It certainly changes the frame rate. You lose the first two or three seconds of the movie while the negotiation occurs. a message then pops up to tell you the frame rate. I'm on auto. There is no changing resolution on the fly that I've seen. I don't have any stuttering.

The info button works for ISO but not MKV. They are on the job of fixing that.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
sutton8 is offline  
post #166 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Member
 
FuzzRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
As said before I play mostly MKV files streaming from my PC. Tried connecting an ext HD (NFTS) via usb but didn't pick it up in explorer!
Unplug and replug the USB ext HDD. There should be a usb icon on the main menu at the top to indicate that the HDD is mounted. Works for me and I'm running 2 USB ext HDDs on a passive USB 3.0 hub.
sutton8 likes this.

LG OLED55C6P :|: Audioengine HD6 (Cherry Wood) Speakers :|: RBH I-12 (Burl Red) Subwoofer :|: Bose Cinemate 130 :|: Zappiti Mini 4K HDR :|: PS4 Pro :|: HTPC (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 16GB RAM)
FuzzRaven is offline  
post #167 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzRaven View Post
Unplug and replug the USB ext HDD. There should be a usb icon on the main menu at the top to indicate that the HDD is mounted. Works for me and I'm running 2 USB ext HDDs on a passive USB 3.0 hub.
Will retry thx.
clint74 is offline  
post #168 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzRaven View Post
Unplug and replug the USB ext HDD. There should be a usb icon on the main menu at the top to indicate that the HDD is mounted. Works for me and I'm running 2 USB ext HDDs on a passive USB 3.0 hub.
Do the drives have their own power source or are they of the USB powered portable type?

I'm just a bit concerned about adding those sort of USB powered drives to a passive hub. They currently work fine when directly plugged into their own ports on the Zappiti.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
sutton8 is offline  
post #169 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Member
 
FuzzRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Do the drives have their own power source or are they of the USB powered portable type?

I'm just a bit concerned about adding those sort of USB powered drives to a passive hub. They currently work fine when directly plugged into their own ports on the Zappiti.
The drives I use (8TB x 2) have their own power source. I don't think a passive hub will work for usb-powered portable drives.
sutton8 likes this.

LG OLED55C6P :|: Audioengine HD6 (Cherry Wood) Speakers :|: RBH I-12 (Burl Red) Subwoofer :|: Bose Cinemate 130 :|: Zappiti Mini 4K HDR :|: PS4 Pro :|: HTPC (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 16GB RAM)
FuzzRaven is offline  
post #170 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Sledgehamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
It does but it's flawed. My experience is that it doesn't it doesn't change the resolution based on the content playing.
Zappiti never claimed anywhere that they would support auto resolution so why do you anticipate that it should?
Yes, there have been some reports with UHD content stutter.
For 1080p there was none for me, except for 60p with GUI set to 24p.
Sledgehamma is offline  
post #171 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
one_2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Exactly! Zappiti has been around for quite some time now. I would love to know where he gets his "facts" from.
I have dealt with Zappiti also for a few years and I believe they have been around for less then 10 years. Starting with their media center and then migrating to their own hardware device and using their media center as the draw to purchase them in which they were quite aggressive.

To be fair they are one of several vendors that have agreements with Chinese manufacturers to build their custom made boxes with other vendors also requesting customization that is why you find similarities. The record that they have established over the years is not very comfort instilling, as they have migrated from the media center software company to selling their own device and attracting buyers because of their media center. They are located in France and have a stronger presence in Europe as some US customers had to deal with UK reps for their orders.

Here are just some experiences that may give an indication for the future. They had a user forum that was shut down by them because or criticism and complaints as well as some fiery messages from paying customers that had to upgrade their device because bugs would not be corrected in their present version even though they were promised fixes. The forum that they run at present is in French http://www.hdlandforum.fr/index.php and the company behind Zappiti is HDLand because the developers of the Zappiti Media Center are present there.

One of the draw backs in their media center is with their TV show scrapers because of their total reliance on theTVDB.com being up and running. In addition if it is not on the TVDB site there is no way to manually get it into the Zappiti DB. You either have to fake it by wrong entry hope theTVDB site finds it and then correct it but it has to have an existence in theTVDB site, their is no manual creation of TV shows and/or seasons. A request was created for this in the following thread:

Quote:
Manual TV season creation for Extras & Specials

https://zappiti.uservoice.com/forums...xtras-specials

205 votes to support
created 11/5/2013
planned 10/17/2015
Not a very comfort instilling record and 205 supporters that voted is a lot.

I really want them to succeed and hope that different individuals give it a more reliable appearance. Sledge, how are you coming along with your requests for answer to your VXP questions?
one_2go is offline  
post #172 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Sledgehamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 365
You mean for MagicPixel? Still no word from them, also no word on other issue I mentioned. I assume that MagicPixel just marketing BS.
Sledgehamma is offline  
post #173 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
one_2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry you are correct MagicPixel.

Just remembered another problem I encountered which is not very flattering.

I purchased their iOS app because I felt it is decent and adds financial support to their cause. The iOS app was removed from iTunes, they released the latest Media Center version for the Dune player 2.9.6.0 here is what it states as far as changes is concerned only to be found at the French HDLand forum.
Quote:
Improvements:
- Repairing the identification of movies with IMDB
- Export lock (Zappiti V2 license).
- Added the purchase option for the Zappiti V2 license in the Zappiti Market.
- Added support for music at no extra charge compared to the Zappiti V2 license.
So when I synch my Zappiti account to get it on my iPad it misses a lot of meta data as well as all the TV shows have no season entries or episode entries. Again not good for publicity. I found this out too late and perhaps should not have updated from 2.8.15.0
one_2go is offline  
post #174 of 3024 Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Well I believe they used to do the software for Dune, then sold rebadged Dune's as their own and for the last couple of years have branched out and been selling their own Chinese sourced hardware.

In the last twelve months I've used the latest models from Dune, PCH, Minix, Zidoo, Himedia, Mede8er and the Shield. All have issues of one kind or another that led me to dropping them, some serious. Zappiti this time seems to have knocked it out of the park in providing a genuine multi room solution that works without major issue with an elegant media front end.

I never followed them before, or their forum, so can't talk to that. What I can say is that over the last seven weeks I've mailed their customer services about ten times and each request has been dealt with within hours. They messed up delivery of my first Mini and I suspect that they didn't have enough stock to fulfil orders.

So in summation I'm delighted, so far.
martig, BakeApples and Hi-FiOutlaw like this.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
sutton8 is offline  
post #175 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Well I believe they used to do the software for Dune, then sold rebadged Dune's as their own and for the last couple of years have branched out and been selling their own Chinese sourced hardware.

In the last twelve months I've used the latest models from Dune, PCH, Minix, Zidoo, Himedia, Mede8er and the Shield. All have issues of one kind or another that led me to dropping them, some serious. Zappiti this time seems to have knocked it out of the park in providing a genuine multi room solution that works without major issue with an elegant media front end.

I never followed them before, or their forum, so can't talk to that. What I can say is that over the last seven weeks I've mailed their customer services about ten times and each request has been dealt with within hours. They messed up delivery of my first Mini and I suspect that they didn't have enough stock to fulfil orders.

So in summation I'm delighted, so far.
Yes they did sell rebadged Dune players, I have both the Dune base 3D and the Zappiti player which is the exact same thing except for the interface addition of the zappiti software.
Unfortunately for me the Zappiti jukebox is a no go.....
As said before I'm always been happy with the Dune players because in my personal experience and with my usage they are nearly flawless. I've always used YAMJ as a jukebox (also on the Zappiti player, the Dune one).
Unfortunately the Dune solo 4K doesn't support it any longer, Yadis and the Dune jukebox and the others I found so far are all a pain with a large collection and a lot of things that aren't on TMDB or IMDB and offer poor customization and no NFO scraping (I wonder why....is it so difficoult to implement??...if only I could do some coding....)
Kodi seems to be the only good solution for my needs today but unfortunately the Dune doesn't run Android yet and though it's running on the Zappiti 4K HDR I can't work out the external player thing right. The kodi internal player doesn't allow for HD audio output!!!

My two cents...
clint74 is offline  
post #176 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Zappiti never claimed anywhere that they would support auto resolution so why do you anticipate that it should?
Yes, there have been some reports with UHD content stutter.
For 1080p there was none for me, except for 60p with GUI set to 24p.
Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, when I said that it's flawed answering dennys84 question I was referring to the auto framerate function.
What I mean is that when I turn it on I have stuttering (all over) and video drop outs on 4K.
As said if these are off and the output is synchronised to the content the videos play fine, it's just a pain to go back and forth from the settings each time the content changes and there's no way for me to know the framerate of the content because the info button doen't work on MKVs (which I choose as a container for all my stuff). So I have to use explorer to find the file and check the framerate, most movies are at 23.976 or 24 but I have my stuff at 30 and 60 and TV recorded stuff is 25 or 50! it's quite a pain.

I never said Zappiti claimed they would support auto resolution, I just wish they did as Dune, I know it's different platform.

Unfortunately my files or my setup seems to be more vulnerable to stuttering compared with your experience as on 4K I also have drop outs with black screen for a few seconds, and I do have stuttering on HD which is mostly visible in panning scenes, still an annoyance to me as synchronising the output eliminates it.
I will try to connect it directly to my tv and bypass the AVR to see if that has a part in it, but it would still be a no go as I would loose HD audio.

Anyway I wanted to ask you about the external player for Kodi you mentioned earlier in this thread.
As I said I managed to install and run Kodi 1.7 but I can't get the external player to work.
I've added the playercorefactory.xml file and configured the Zappiti player (com.archisoft.zmc4k) and the VLC player (org.videolan.vlc, just to try as also this doesn't do HD audio). Kodi switches to the players but the videos don't start!

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
clint74 is offline  
post #177 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 AM
Member
 
FuzzRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I too would like to know how Kodi can be run through an external player. I guess that would be the only way to play 4K with Kodi right? I wanted to set Kodi's resolution to 4K, but unlike the nVidia Shield, the option to change resolution is greyed out.

With regards to the Zappiti Media Center, I don't know if I should even bother trying to get it all sorted out. My movie files are named with the year on it [to be specific Movie Title (Year).(file extension) for example Man Of Steel (2013).mkv] and I don't know if that naming is what's causing the Media Center to not be able to find the related metadata for all my movies. Should I be renaming ALL my movie files to remove the "year" off the filename? Also all my movie files are in their own folder with the same naming convention as my movie files (and the folder still contains previous metadata as was used by WD TV Live Hub, like xml files).

Even if a lot of my movie files were processed with the correct metadata, I still have a problem with the case of having the same movie in different formats (like 3D or 4K -- I still don't want to get rid of my high bitrate 1080p rips just in case) where there is a lack of any proper indication of which is which in the Media Center unless I take a closer look at the attributes (1080p/4K, h.264 vs h.265, DTS, etc -- you get my drift) on the specific movie page.

Has anyone ever really been successful and satisfied with how the Media Center works? I mean I like the layout/aesthetics and all but because of my troubles, I'd rather be using the explorer. Anyone who can help point me towards taming the Media Center? I wish there's a better way that combines the functionality of the explorer with the looks of the media center, like movies can be subdivided into the specific "custom" folders I want (i.e. 3D, 4K, Documentary, etc) and not just one hodge-podge.

Thanks guys!

LG OLED55C6P :|: Audioengine HD6 (Cherry Wood) Speakers :|: RBH I-12 (Burl Red) Subwoofer :|: Bose Cinemate 130 :|: Zappiti Mini 4K HDR :|: PS4 Pro :|: HTPC (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 16GB RAM)

Last edited by FuzzRaven; 02-17-2017 at 05:44 AM.
FuzzRaven is offline  
post #178 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzRaven View Post
I too would like to know how Kodi can be run through an external player. I guess that would be the only way to play 4K with Kodi right? I wanted to set Kodi's resolution to 4K, but unlike the nVidia Shield, the option to change resolution is greyed out.

With regards to the Zappiti Media Center, I don't know if I should even bother trying to get it all sorted out. My movie files are named with the year on it [to be specific Movie Title (Year).(file extension) for example Man Of Steel (2013).mkv] and I don't know if that naming is what's causing the Media Center to not be able to find the related metadata for all my movies. Should I be renaming ALL my movie files to remove the "year" off the filename? Also all my movie files are in their own folder with the same naming convention as my movie files (and the folder still contains previous metadata as was used by WD TV Live Hub, like xml files).

Even if a lot of my movie files were processed with the correct metadata, I still have a problem with the case of having the same movie in different formats (like 3D or 4K -- I still don't want to get rid of my high bitrate 1080p rips just in case) where there is a lack of any proper indication of which is which in the Media Center unless I take a closer look at the attributes (1080p/4K, h.264 vs h.265, DTS, etc -- you get my drift) on the specific movie page.

Has anyone ever really been successful and satisfied with how the Media Center works? I mean I like the layout/aesthetics and all but because of my troubles, I'd rather be using the explorer. Anyone who can help point me towards taming the Media Center? I wish there's a better way that combines the functionality of the explorer with the looks of the media center, like movies can be subdivided into the specific "custom" folders I want (i.e. 3D, 4K, Documentary, etc) and not just one hodge-podge.

Thanks guys!

Regarding the media center:

All my movies are named like this: Arrival (2016) (1080p DTS-MA). Zappiti usually has no big problem in finding it and the Zappiti server for PC has the option to exclude whatever you want from the title for scraping so if you have the title you should be good. You can exclude all the rest and usually things between brackets are ignored. However when you start having titles which can be confused with others or with the same name (you be surprised of how many movies have the same name throughout the years) you start having problems. Also a strange thing is that it won't scrape TV movies from IMDB. The TMDB library is smaller compared to IMDB and often lesser known movies are not there.
If you have the same version of the movie in different formats (3D, HD 4K etc.) there's no way of telling the difference unless you edit the title yourself manually or look at the attributes if they are picked up correctly and can show the difference.
The zappiti interface also lacks the possibility for customization like adding categories etc. You can do sets but it's not the right way to manage what you want and is all manual inputs.

That's why as I've said earlier for my needs YAMJ is the best solution so far....unfortunately is dying an unsupported by current generation hardware except maybe PCH (not sure about A500). The interface il a bit older generation but the good thing about this is that it will automatically organize all your files based on their naming content and NFO properties for more advanced features.

Kodi is the best alternative and will use NFOs.

To use external player on kodi and bypass the 4k HD audio limitations check here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_ext...ers_on_Android

Unfortunately I haven't still managed to make it work on the Zappiti. It does work on the Zidoo though. Actually the Zidoo ZDMC is an older version (1.6) of kodi (now 1.7) with their external player.

On the zappiti you will have to install a new player, I've been trying to link kodi with the zappiti player but have been unsuccessful so far, I just tried for a few hours but it's complicated to do things on the Zappiti as I don't have a external mouse or keyboard:
You have to download a file manager app like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
The zappiti explorer won't do.....
then follow the instruction of the previous link.

I've just been learning this myself in spare time for the past few days.....so I don't guarantee....
FuzzRaven likes this.

Last edited by clint74; 02-17-2017 at 06:33 AM.
clint74 is offline  
post #179 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Member
 
FuzzRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Regarding the media center:

All my movies are named like this: Arrival (2016) (1080p DTS-MA). Zappiti usually has no big problem in finding it and the Zappiti server for PC has the option to exclude whatever you want from the title for scraping so if you have the title you should be good. You can exclude all the rest and usually things between brackets are ignored. However when you start having titles which can be confused with others or with the same name (you be surprised of how many movies have the same name throughout the years) you start having problems. Also a strange thing is that it won't scrape TV movies from IMDB. The TMDB library is smaller compared to IMDB and often lesser known movies are not there.
If you have the same version of the movie in different formats (3D, HD 4K etc.) there's no way of telling the difference unless you edit the title yourself manually or look at the attributes if they are picked up correctly and can show the difference.
The zappiti interface also lacks the possibility for customization like adding categories etc. You can do sets but it's not the right way to manage what you want and is all manual inputs.

That's why as I've said earlier for my needs YAMJ is the best solution so far....unfortunately is dying an unsupported by current generation hardware except maybe PCH (not sure about A500). The interface il a bit older generation but the good thing about this is that it will automatically organize all your files based on their naming content and NFO properties for more advanced features.

Kodi is the best alternative and will use NFOs.

To use external player on kodi and bypass the 4k HD audio limitations check here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_ext...ers_on_Android

Unfortunately I haven't still managed to make it work on the Zappiti. It does work on the Zidoo though. Actually the Zidoo ZDMC is an older version (1.6) of kodi (now 1.7) with their external player.

On the zappiti you will have to install a new player, I've been trying to link kodi with the zappiti player but have been unsuccessful so far, I just tried for a few hours but it's complicated to do things on the Zappiti as I don't have a external mouse or keyboard:
You have to download a file manager app like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
The zappiti explorer won't do.....
then follow the instruction of the previous link.

I've just been learning this myself in spare time for the past few days.....so I don't guarantee....
Thank you! This is quite an insightful post but I guess it's all a waiting game for me until...

a. Zappiti releases an update to the Media Center to give us a more flexible way of customizing our videos
b. Someone figures out a successful way to link Kodi to an external player

Tiny nitpick about your post is the suggestion of ES File Manager. Somehow I just had to cringe.

LG OLED55C6P :|: Audioengine HD6 (Cherry Wood) Speakers :|: RBH I-12 (Burl Red) Subwoofer :|: Bose Cinemate 130 :|: Zappiti Mini 4K HDR :|: PS4 Pro :|: HTPC (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 16GB RAM)
FuzzRaven is offline  
post #180 of 3024 Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Member
 
clint74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzRaven View Post
Thank you! This is quite an insightful post but I guess it's all a waiting game for me until...

a. Zappiti releases an update to the Media Center to give us a more flexible way of customizing our videos
b. Someone figures out a successful way to link Kodi to an external player

Tiny nitpick about your post is the suggestion of ES File Manager. Somehow I just had to cringe.
I'm afraid you will have wait a long time...I've been familiar with the Zappiti jukebox since at least 2013 and these kind of personalizations have never been implemented...and I guess they will never be...it looks like the trend on these things is getting them easier a with fewer options.....look at the netflix or amazon interface.....If you don't know what you are looking for, chances are you never find them.....
Actually this version of the Zappiti media center has lost a few options compared to the past.....(v2).

In the past you could create your own categories as an example.

If I manage to get the external player to work I'll come back.

I'm sorry but though I think I manage English quite well (I'm Italian) I think I might be losing the exact meaning of your nitpick comment.

Anyway it's not that complicated after all once you dwell a bit into things....I never even touched an Android device until I got the Zidoo and Zappiti a few weeks ago and have been playing around only for a few days. Actually I didn't even know the Zappiti was just another Android box until I turned it on! You can swap remotes!!! But the Zappiti remote is nicer and back lit!
clint74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off