Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 609Likes

post #211 of 3438 Old 02-28-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Fixed the inversion of "Next / Previous chapter" buttons.
The « Property » option (INFO button) is now available on all video formats.
It is no longer necessary to press BACK twice to stop playback.
Fixed cropped subtitle problem.
It is now possible to disable subtitles by default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3438 Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Fixed the inversion of "Next / Previous chapter" buttons.
The « Property » option (INFO button) is now available on all video formats.
It is no longer necessary to press BACK twice to stop playback.
Fixed cropped subtitle problem.
It is now possible to disable subtitles by default.

Thanks
post #213 of 3438 Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Have anyone tried the new firmware (3.05) yet?

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 3438 Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Have anyone tried the new firmware (3.05) yet?
Yes like sledgehamma said it solved the info problem on mkv and subtitles stuff.

Everything else seems to work well, no improvements on the playback issues with the auto frame rate options enabled.

Anyway I decided to send back my unit as after my evaluation I cannot see any difference in PQ compared with the Zidoo x9s which for my usage with Kodi is better than the Zappiti jukebox.

The units are almost identical (like most android boxes I presume) and though I prefer the Zappiti explorer/jukebox in terms of aesthetics the Zidoo has a few more tricks and is more practical.
post #215 of 3438 Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Yes like sledgehamma said it solved the info problem on mkv and subtitles stuff.

Everything else seems to work well, no improvements on the playback issues with the auto frame rate options enabled.

Anyway I decided to send back my unit as after my evaluation I cannot see any difference in PQ compared with the Zidoo x9s which for my usage with Kodi is better than the Zappiti jukebox.

The units are almost identical (like most android boxes I presume) and though I prefer the Zappiti explorer/jukebox in terms of aesthetics the Zidoo has a few more tricks and is more practical.
I heard others say that and that is weird. I had the zidoo for a month and also the Zappiti, that I kept.

I did really many tests on a Panasonic Plasma, and mostly on my Sony VW 95 projector. The Zappiti was much sharper. I explain. With the projector I had to leave my sharpness on 0 or it would be too much. The Zidoo on the other hand needed to be put on 10 or 20, to have similar effect. My Oppo is usual between 0 and 3 sharpness. It will depend on the file too, if it are close ups, or taken further away.

I have a concert of George Michael. It has rather complicated background, that did not render so much on the plasma with the Zidoo, but was perfect with the Zappiti. I also installed Kodi on the Zappiti, did a few test with that, and then they looked much more alike. I could have had a problem Zidoo unit, maybe after all my checking, something was different in the settings, but for me the Zappiti was sharper ( a bit too much sharpened at some times even.

I have it now on holiday in Thailand on a big LG plasma. Impressions are same, sharp and also not much video-noise, so the Magic pixel could exist after all (although after many pages on HC-fr forum no info what it should do.

But maybe you guys can help me. I lost the remote in Cebu. So I have to use a mini-keyboard. I cannot make the most important thing work. The enter or left click mouse not work if I want to browse my hard disc in Zappiti, neither launch movies in the player, and neither select by left mous click the proposed update.......... If someone found out how to launch it with the miney keyboard, welcome...

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #216 of 3438 Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post
The Zappiti was much sharper. so the Magic pixel could exist after all
Please prove it with 4:4:4 raw hdmi capture, or close photos from the TV screen.
Everyone else says the PQ is the same for the Zidoo and the Zappiti.
post #217 of 3438 Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a question or Kodi? Better to 16.1 or 17 ver.?
In what resolution reproduces zappiti they 4k videos Kodi? It is limited to 720D?

And functions to improve the image zappiti also function during video playback from KODI or Netflix?

How do the connectors Input HDMI? whether the signal connected to the TV tuner or DVD undergoes some treatment? Do you then also functions work "to improve" the image or the scales to the higher resolution?

I will be grateful for the help :-) because there is little information about this item ...
post #218 of 3438 Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice77 View Post
Please prove it with 4:4:4 raw hdmi capture, or close photos from the TV screen.
Everyone else says the PQ is the same for the Zidoo and the Zappiti.
Would have loved to do that, but first a capture is always a hit or miss, and I not have the Zidoo any more, mainly for the reason I said. But, the picture looked the same in Kodi though..... With the Zappiti player, pic was less soft, and sharper. Maybe again something to do with my unit, but did enough comparaisons;

I copied same files, and went from one player from another.

post #219 of 3438 Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post
I heard others say that and that is weird. I had the zidoo for a month and also the Zappiti, that I kept.

I did really many tests on a Panasonic Plasma, and mostly on my Sony VW 95 projector. The Zappiti was much sharper. I explain. With the projector I had to leave my sharpness on 0 or it would be too much. The Zidoo on the other hand needed to be put on 10 or 20, to have similar effect. My Oppo is usual between 0 and 3 sharpness. It will depend on the file too, if it are close ups, or taken further away.

I have a concert of George Michael. It has rather complicated background, that did not render so much on the plasma with the Zidoo, but was perfect with the Zappiti. I also installed Kodi on the Zappiti, did a few test with that, and then they looked much more alike. I could have had a problem Zidoo unit, maybe after all my checking, something was different in the settings, but for me the Zappiti was sharper ( a bit too much sharpened at some times even.

I have it now on holiday in Thailand on a big LG plasma. Impressions are same, sharp and also not much video-noise, so the Magic pixel could exist after all (although after many pages on HC-fr forum no info what it should do.

But maybe you guys can help me. I lost the remote in Cebu. So I have to use a mini-keyboard. I cannot make the most important thing work. The enter or left click mouse not work if I want to browse my hard disc in Zappiti, neither launch movies in the player, and neither select by left mous click the proposed update.......... If someone found out how to launch it with the miney keyboard, welcome...
Hello,
personally I could not see a difference between the two on a LG 55 Oled, a projector is a totally different story as your eyes are to mine. I've always kept all the enhancing off. I've also taken pictures with my camera (reflex, prime lense, tripod) and couldn't tell the difference; the variations between multiple photos of the same screen (same player) were comparable with the ones from the other player.
If I could have managed to make Kodi work with an external player on the Zappiti I would have kept it, but my return period was expiring and didn't get the chance to play enough with it.
post #220 of 3438 Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Kosela View Post
I have a question or Kodi? Better to 16.1 or 17 ver.?
In what resolution reproduces zappiti they 4k videos Kodi? It is limited to 720D?

And functions to improve the image zappiti also function during video playback from KODI or Netflix?

How do the connectors Input HDMI? whether the signal connected to the TV tuner or DVD undergoes some treatment? Do you then also functions work "to improve" the image or the scales to the higher resolution?

I will be grateful for the help :-) because there is little information about this item ...
I prefer 17, both versions installed on the Zidoo and both work without problems for me.

Currently the max resolution for the built in Kodi player is 1080p, no 4K. Also the player is clumsy and lacks functions in my opinion. I'm sure they will update it to 4K.....sooner or later.
External native player on the Zidoo is much nicer as the Zappiti built in player.

Don't know about scalers on hdmi input, anyway for everything else if you set the Zappiti output resolution to X everything below will be upscaled to X. Everything above will be downscaled.

Last edited by clint74; 03-14-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #221 of 3438 Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
Hello,
personally I could not see a difference between the two on a LG 55 Oled, a projector is a totally different story as your eyes are to mine. I've always kept all the enhancing off. I've also taken pictures with my camera (reflex, prime lense, tripod) and couldn't tell the difference; the variations between multiple photos of the same screen (same player) were comparable with the ones from the other player.
If I could have managed to make Kodi work with an external player on the Zappiti I would have kept it, but my return period was expiring and didn't get the chance to play enough with it.
Like I said, compared them on different displays. I had the Zidoo, a week before the Zappiti. I was disappointed. I thought there was especially on the projector a bit blurred image, but also on the tv, it was not to my liking. So I expected the same from the Zappiti, it was not. Not only it was sharper, but the contrast was stronger, opposed to the Zidoo, that had a softer look. Now again, if the Zidoo was pushed in sharpness, they came closer, as colors looked very much the same.

I keep on trying with the Zidoo until I had to return it to Amazon. I played with different settings, but whatever I did, the Zappiti was always sharper.

Now notice this. One thing was more difficult on the Zappiti. Due to his higher contrast, I had much more trouble to set up the projector, as if I kept my Oppo or Zidoo setting, things were either to bright or visibility in dark scenes restrained.

If the real pxel, really does something, it must be on the internal player only. As using Kodi for both, PQ seemed indeed the same, but I had shorter moments looking at that.....

Last edited by indieke2; 03-14-2017 at 04:24 AM.
post #222 of 3438 Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ask for help regarding the functionality of the device Zappiti One 4k HDR ..

Unfortunately, the device has a problem with saving data on hard disks written by programs android.
This applies to the exact application KODI Jarvis version 16.1 and version 17.

Using KODI I have no possibilities to save anything on your hard disk by this program does not save any data not save movies or music programs.
It is visible process of "data download" but does not create any folders on the disk or not is the same recorded programs, music, movies.

Zappiti sees the hard drive can see, for example? videos uploaded via cable or networked, plays them, but not gracefully anything that saves KODI.
All settings are 100% in KODI done well because the same settings work for example in my Himmedia q10pro or other boxes.

What's the problem? Are jakeiś lock put on KODI? For downloading ● Data by external programs (not your player) in Zappiti?

Can you help? For me it is the lack of a very high functionality in this device ....
post #223 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 962
I currently have a Dune 4K Solo. A great player but it is only HDMI 1.4 so cannot handle HDR. I am toying with replacing it with a Zappiti 4K HDR Mini. I know I would loose the full blu-ray menu option, but that aside does the Zappiti match the Dune for picture quality and ability to play most anything thrown at it?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player

Last edited by blenky; 03-18-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #224 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I currently have a Dune 4K Solo. A great player but it is only HDMI 1.4 so cannot handle HDR. I am toying with replacing it with a Zappiti 4K HDR Mini. I know I would loose the full blu-ray menu option, but that aside does the Zappiti match the Dune for picture quality and ability to play most anything thrown at it?

Blu-ray menus are neither loose nor tight.

Other than that the picture quality should be the same or better, especially being able to play 4K @60fps and HDR.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #225 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Blu-ray menus are neither loose nor tight.

Other than that the picture quality should be the same or better, especially being able to play 4K @60fps and HDR.
Thanks. Do you own a Zappiti? If so are there any playback, compatibility issues at the moment?

I'm a bit cautious as my Dune is mostly flawless, I would hate to move to a player that although it can play HDR but has a lot of problems.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #226 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

See my review for PQ. Its inferior to Sigma. Never got a response from Zappiti regarding the PQ issues.
post #227 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See my review for PQ. Its inferior to Sigma. Never got a response from Zappiti regarding the PQ issues.
Thanks. Read the review - good job! - and can see that it is slightly inferior. In real world viewing is it really noticeable though?

post #228 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Thanks. Do you own a Zappiti? If so are there any playback, compatibility issues at the moment?

I'm a bit cautious as my Dune is mostly flawless, I would hate to move to a player that although it can play HDR but has a lot of problems.

Well I was set to pull the trigger on a Solo but I've read nothing but problems in the Dune thread - red push, etc. The HDMI 1.4 output is a dealbreaker anyway.
HT buddy of mine has a Zappiti and seems happy with it.

Quote:

Zappiti doesn't have the firmware history behind it.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #229 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Thanks. Read the review - good job! - and can see that it is slightly inferior. In real world viewing is it really noticeable though?
Not to me in real world content. Both the Solo and Zappiti are capable of stunnning PQ but the latter is the more capable and polished player, on the proviso you don't need full BD menu support.

7.1 Denon AVR-4700H, Rotel RMB 1555, Audiolab M-PWR, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver 8), XBone, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, Firestick 4K, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033, Paradigm Seismic 110
post #230 of 3438 Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Not to me in real world content. Both the Solo and Zappiti are capable of stunnning PQ but the latter is the more capable and polished player, on the proviso you don't need full BD menu support.
Thanks for the info. Then there is the Nvidia Shield TV! So many choices

post #231 of 3438 Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. It really depends on a lot of variables and that's why I only provide these objective test patterns.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Then there is the Nvidia Shield TV! So many choices
Nvidia Shield had some serious PQ problems in the past, which where noticeable. Not sure if they are completely fixed now. Not sure if 3D is important to you, but it can't play it.
post #232 of 3438 Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nvidia Shield had some serious PQ problems in the past, which where noticeable. Not sure if they are completely fixed now. Not sure if 3D is important to you, but it can't play it.
I'm going to take a punt with the Nvidia Shield. If PQ is poor I will return.

post #233 of 3438 Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I would give it another try as well, but the lack of 3D is a problem for me
post #234 of 3438 Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would give it another try as well, but the lack of 3D is a problem for me
3D a non issue for me. I'm picking a Shield up tomorrow and keep the Dune connected so I can do a comparison - albeit not a scientific one!

I'll let you know what I think.

post #235 of 3438 Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
3D a non issue for me. I'm picking a Shield up tomorrow and keep the Dune connected so I can do a comparison - albeit not a scientific one!

I'll let you know what I think.
I understand that you realize that your comparison will be completely subjective, but not using test patterns and a meter is really just a waste of people time and skews perceptions.

Looky here!
post #236 of 3438 Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i upgraded from an ac ryan to the zappiti and although the zappiti is pretty high end I am having many more problems with it than my old ryan or wd media player. Does anyone know the solution to these problems

1. video and sound drop out for the first 3 seconds or so on my tv collection. I know they say it's because of the RBG as they explain on their website but that didn't do anything for me
2. when listening to music between every song there is a loud crackle noise
3. sometimes when listening to music the song just stops for whatever reason

Anyone else having these problems?
post #237 of 3438 Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have just received my Zappiti 4K HDR yesterday, updated from a Dune sigma based media player. And my Zappiti does exactly the same as you describe in number 1. Also I do seem to be getting a lot of "hissing" on the audio that I didn't get in the Dune player. I am still troubleshooting the "hissing" audio, so too early to tell if it's the zappiti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #238 of 3438 Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Go to Zidoo X8 or X9S. They have full bluray menu option with latest firmware.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...released.4357/
post #239 of 3438 Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice77 View Post
Go to Zidoo X8 or X9S. They have full bluray menu option with latest firmware.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...released.4357/
Thanks for that. However I went and bought a Nvidia Shield TV. Impressed with it so far. OK limited blu-ray menu support but I can live with that. Will probably hang onto my Dune Solo 4K and have best of both worlds!

Last edited by blenky; 03-23-2017 at 07:17 AM.
post #240 of 3438 Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco533 View Post
Also I do seem to be getting a lot of "hissing" on the audio that I didn't get in the Dune player. I am still troubleshooting the "hissing" audio, so too early to tell if it's the zappiti.

I can report the hissing audio was my eight year old Sony XBR tv. NOT
the zappiti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page