Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 548Likes

post #2911 of 2978 Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Anybody else having audio dropouts on the ATMOS soundtrack of “Toy Story 4” on MKV?

Haven’t tried on .iso yet so I don’t know if there are audio dropouts when playing the .iso

It started when Bonnie goes to school. Before that it plays fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2978 Old 10-16-2019, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have the mkv file remux and yes I have also dropouts. Both when playing it on my zappiti and my htpc.
post #2913 of 2978 Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post

Up until now, I was using an external HD with my Mini and everything was awesome! As the HD was filling up, I decided to invest in a Synology DS418J NAS. Nothing works! The NAS does not recognize the external HD, and no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the NAS from my Zappiti. Using the Zappiti software on my PC, all is fine, but trying to connect via the Mini, user/pass are never accepted. I've checked the settings, created a user level account (shared everything) and used lowercase letters only as a password.
Why would the NAS recognize an external HD? The Mini should recognize the external HD, but not the NAS. Did you set us the NAS with new drives? Remember that the Mini needs to search for the NAS by adding it as new source. You start by setting up the NAS with the new drives. Once that is done, you use the mini to search for it. Good Luck.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp

Last edited by johng; 10-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2978 Old 10-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus.S View Post
Have the mkv file remux and yes I have also dropouts. Both when playing it on my zappiti and my htpc.
Is there anyway to play it without the audio dropouts in MKV or .iso files on the Zappiti One?

Plays fine on .iso on Oppo 203.
post #2915 of 2978 Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Is there anyway to play it without the audio dropouts in MKV or .iso files on the Zappiti One?

Plays fine on .iso on Oppo 203.
You might want to report this to Zappiti. Maybe there is a simple bugfix!
thomasphoenix likes this.
post #2916 of 2978 Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Toy Story 4 .iso played okay on the Zappiti One.

It seems like it’s playing the MKV file that has a problem.
post #2917 of 2978 Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a samsung q8fn 55 and the mini 4k hdr what is best settings to set this to? https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN55Q8F-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B07B5FR99H/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=samsung+q8fn&qid=1571633680&sr =8-3 thats the tv what res and fps do i set it to etc thanks
post #2918 of 2978 Old 10-28-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Hey guys,

Finally got my Mini yesterday and I got it somewhat set up. Still learning to work my way around the vast menus.

With that being said, I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. Maybe I am spoiled by the fluidity of the ATV 4K and Infuse, but I find the UI on the Zappiti to be very slow and laggy. Any recommendations for speeding it up? I did go to the Developer's Options and enabled hardware acceleration, OpenGL 2D, as well as HDMI 2.0. It helped a bunch but I just feel it lags in general.

2. Is there a way to prevent it from showing personal videos along with movies? I like how there is a module for Movies and TV Shows, but not for personal videos. As soon as I add a source for personal videos, they all are displayed along with my movies collection.

3. Some movies will not show badges such as aspect ratio, resolution, audio, etc, on the movie's synopsis page even after clicking Force MediaInfo several times. I have ensured all my movies have the following file naming convention: Movie Name (year).mkv, as advised by Zappiti.

4. Any way to direct source the video? In other words, if it's a 1080p movie, send it as 1080p to the projector. If it's a 4K, send it as 4K to the projector and so on and so forth.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone X

JVC DLA-NX7BK / 125" 2.40:1 Stewart StudioTek 100 / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2919 of 2978 Old 10-29-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ended up returning the Mini. No matter how much I tried to make the UI perform fluidly, it was still too jerky and just felt outdated. Box has tons pf potential bit the UI's performance is very lacking. It felt the whole time like it was doing software acceleration instead of GPU acceleration. I even tried the local offline setup and it was always querying covers and art, every time you navigated the UI.

Sent from my iPhone X
legionow112 likes this.

JVC DLA-NX7BK / 125" 2.40:1 Stewart StudioTek 100 / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2920 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I ended up returning the Mini. No matter how much I tried to make the UI perform fluidly, it was still too jerky and just felt outdated. Box has tons pf potential bit the UI's performance is very lacking. It felt the whole time like it was doing software acceleration instead of GPU acceleration. I even tried the local offline setup and it was always querying covers and art, every time you navigated the UI.

Sent from my iPhone X
It took me more than a day to learn the UI. This forum has helped me a lot to answer questions.
My Zappiti isn’t jerky or laggy.
There is a way to turn off the automatic identifying of covers & art.
post #2921 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone X
Sorry, but it is not laggy at all. My movie wall is super fast. Seems you had problems with the settings.
post #2922 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Sorry, but it is not laggy at all. My movie wall is super fast. Seems you had problems with the settings.

If that is the case, I asked here for suggestions and no one responded. As soon as I post something negative about it, now everyone is coming out of the woodworks to say otherwise. Go figure. LOL

Sent from my iPhone X

post #2923 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If that is the case, I asked here for suggestions and no one responded. As soon as I post something negative about it, now everyone is coming out of the woodworks to say otherwise. Go figure. LOL

Sent from my iPhone X
You have been asking a whole lot of questions at the same time and not everybody is having the expertise or experience. Some questions would have been answered if you would have read the manual or used google. Direct output is one of the key features for Zappiti media players. Regarding the movie wall you might have just had the wrong settings or slow internet. I don´t know why that laggy wall happened to you. Also I believe it´s quite rare that people would add personal videos to their movie wall. Again, if you had looked into the manual you would have found out to put different categories into different files or collections. Then you could simply load different collections at startup. Hope that helped, even if you sold your zappiti already....
post #2924 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You have been asking a whole lot of questions at the same time and not everybody is having the expertise or experience. Some questions would have been answered if you would have read the manual or used google. Direct output is one of the key features for Zappiti media players. Regarding the movie wall you might have just had the wrong settings or slow internet. I don´t know why that laggy wall happened to you. Also I believe it´s quite rare that people would add personal videos to their movie wall. Again, if you had looked into the manual you would have found out to put different categories into different files or collections. Then you could simply load different collections at startup. Hope that helped, even if you sold your zappiti already....
I have an AT&T Gigabit home internet (1000MB Downstream, 1000MB upstream), averaging 900mbit/900mbit speeds any time of the day. So slow internet was not the case.

I even installed Zappiti Server on my Synology DS-918 which is connected to my gigabit LAN network, from which I can stream mkv's with 100+MB/s bitrates without any issues. So my LAN connection isn't a problem either.

Offline mode... Same issue.

Disabled auto-identification on startup... Same issue.

Enabled OpenGL hardware acceleration via Developer's Options... Same issue.

And it's not like I have a database of thousands of movies. I only have 107 movies.

With all the above done, every time I went into my picture wall, it would refresh all images as if they have never been loaded before. Same when clicking on a movie and going to the synopsis page. I could back out, go back in and the refreshing took place, each and every time.

When clicking on a group poster, sliding left and right among the different posters of the group, each and every time there is a brief pause as the cover art and info is loaded. Like I said, it's as if nothing gets cached and is loaded every time.

Maybe I am just spoiled by how Infuse works so fluidly that anything less, I find it laggy.

Direct Output was hit or miss. Some movies would play, others wouldn't.

I got tired of all the above that never bothered to deal with categories and returned the Zappiti back. Don't get me wrong. I really wanted to keep this player and I'm not trying to bash it in any way. It's just that one thing that I could not get over and at $250 for it, I just couldn't live with it.

I will definitely keep an eye out on this thread and see if any future firmware and/or hardware updates makes me want to give it another shot.

Last edited by ERuiz; 10-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #2925 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Maybe then the server was the problem: Did you also try to store your collection in the zappiti cloud? I am also using a NAS, but not as server. This works very well and fast.
post #2926 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe then the server was the problem: Did you also try to store your collection in the zappiti cloud? I am also using a NAS, but not as server. This works very well and fast.
Yea, that was actually the way it was originally configured. I tried the Zappiti Server hoping it would be faster when surfing the UI. Maybe I am using the wrong term when I say laggy, but that's the best way I can describe it.

I would click the Movies module icon, and when the picture wall opened up, each and every time, it felt like it was doing so for the first time. All the posters would be showing the placeholder gray image until all of them were populated with their respective picture. I could back out to the main menu, click Movies again and once again, everything being refreshed.

The way I've seen players such as Infuse, Kodi, etc, do it, is the first time the images are scraped and downloaded, their will be a brief pause as it loads it for the first time. Then any subsequent time, they load instantaneously. Not with my Zappiti. It's like nothing was being cached and this lead to very laggy and responsiveness throughout.

This is the ONE and ONLY issue I just couldn't get around. I really liked it and it would have served me well, but like I said, at a price tag of $250 USD, I would have expected a more polished UI experienced.

Unless Apple releases in the future a way to bitstream HD audio of local files, I will continue on my pursuit of a dedicated local movies player and I'll definitely continue to monitor this thread. The Zappiti definitely has a ton of potential.

post #2927 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 12:56 PM

I see, too bad you could not give it another shot.
Let me know if you come up with a better player. I just think that the Direct Output feature along with 3D playback and the movie wall are unsurpassed right now!
Also they are working on a few new features right now.
Cheers!
post #2928 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see, too bad you could not give it another shot.
Let me know if you come up with a better player. I just think that the Direct Output feature along with 3D playback and the movie wall are unsurpassed right now!
Also they are working on a few new features right now.
Cheers!
Dammit, UPS already took possession of the package! Ughhh Now you got me wanting to give it a bit more troubleshooting. =( Maybe I should have waited a bit more. I do get antsy. I still had almost 30 days left to return it.

Direct Output, it would work on 4K HDR movies. Many of my 1080P movies, did not play. Maybe 1 did get to play but for the most part, the screen would stay stuck on "Loading Video..."

I played with the settings, disabled all the different resolutions and just left 4K and 1080p which can't be disabled. And still couldn't get most 1080p movies to play with Direct Output. As you can see, at this point, my anxiety was starting to kick in.

I thought about giving the new Shield Pro a try but I just don't know if I will like the Plex Client. I've never liked it. Although I can also run Kodi on the Shield, but having used Kodi for so long, I am over it too. LMAO

I really thought the Zappiti player would be it and now you got me second-guessing myself and my decision to return it after just 4 days of usage.

post #2929 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Direct Output, it would work on 4K HDR movies. Many of my 1080P movies, did not play. Maybe 1 did get to play but for the most part, the screen would stay stuck on "Loading Video..."

I played with the settings, disabled all the different resolutions and just left 4K and 1080p which can't be disabled.
This is really THE great feature for 1080p movies while selecting 2160p in the display settings. It works absolutely brilliant. With the Reality Creation of my projector these movies look absolutely stunning. Did you go to the special "direct out" settings? You need to activate each resolution individually.
post #2930 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is really THE great feature for 1080p movies while selecting 2160p in the display settings. It works absolutely brilliant. With the Reality Creation of my projector these movies look absolutely stunning. Did you go to the special "direct out" settings? You need to activate each resolution individually.
Yup, I did. I activated EVERY resolution available. Still wouldn't play 1080p movies. I tried maybe 5 different movies and only 1 of them played. HDR 4K played fine. My JVC NX7 can play all the resolutions listed, so I know the projector wasn't the issue. And it was just 1080p movies that weren't playing. It would stay stuck saying Loading Video...

As soon as I disabled Direct Output, then those 1080p movies would play as usual.

post #2931 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Now that is weird. I have a Lumagen in the video chain and I can check resolutions, works totally fine. I have no explanation for that.

Maybe you would want to try the Zappiti 4K HDR ONE?
post #2932 of 2978 Old 10-30-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that is weird. I have a Lumagen in the video chain and I can check resolutions, works totally fine. I have no explanation for that.

Maybe you would want to try the Zappiti 4K HDR ONE?
Is this the one with the HDD capability? You think having a HDD in the player will help with the loading of posters? Because other than that, I really don't need it to have a HDD since I have a NAS with 12TB of stoarge.

post #2933 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 04:23 AM

The zappiti HDR One has an Emmc of 8Gb vs. 2Gb for the zappiti mini. I am not sure if that speeds up the device... Also the 12 TB might run out quicker than you think
post #2934 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The zappiti HDR One has an Emmc of 8Gb vs. 2Gb for the zappiti mini. I am not sure if that speeds up the device... Also the 12 TB might run out quicker than you think

According to Zappiti, the Mini has 8GB of EMMC, while the rest of the lineup has 16GB of EMMC.

https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowle...en-the-4-zappi

The Mini has 8GB EMMC and the rest of the models have 16GB EMMC, while they all have 2GB of RAM.

Like you said, I wonder if the additional 8GB on the 4K HDR ONE model makes a huge difference in loading of covers and artwork?

Do you have the One model?

Sent from my iPhone X

post #2935 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 AM

Yes, I have the HDR One right now and might be upgrading it to the Pro one day...
post #2936 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have the HDR One right now and might be upgrading it to the Pro one day...
Sweet! I think I'll order the 4K One SE and give Zappiti a fair shot. I should get it tomorrow just in time for the weekend. =)

Last edited by ERuiz; 10-31-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #2937 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone X
Forum members like to help, but not everyone spends their days on this forum. I live in Northern California and you might have heard that we're dealing with wildfires and electrical blackouts. My internet connection has been down more than up over the past week.

Did you ever try to contact Zappiti support?

My experience as an owner of the mini for 2+ years has been overall very positive. Every time I had a technical support issue, the Zappiti people have responded, even though there is a major time delay between California and Paris. I still use my Zappiti regularly and have yet to find a similar product with as mature a video wall as Zappiti.

No one is jumping on you, but you just got the mini and posted questions that left me scratching my head.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp

Last edited by johng; 10-31-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #2938 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Forum members like to help, but not everyone spends their days on this forum. I live in Northern California and you might have heard that we're dealing with wildfires and electrical blackouts. My internet connection has been down more than up over the past week.

Did you ever try to contact Zappiti support?

My experience as an owner of the mini for 2+ years has been overall very positive. Every time I had a technical support issue, the Zappiti people have responded, even though there is a major time delay between California and Paris. I still use my Zappiti regularly and have yet to find a similar product with as mature a video wall as Zappiti.

No one is jumping on you, but you just joined this forum and posted questions that left me scratching my head.
I went ahead and ordered the 4K One SE. I want to give Zappiti a fair shot. I really liked it and if I can get the UI to be responsive to my liking, it's definitely a keeper! =)
johng likes this.

post #2939 of 2978 Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Is this the one with the HDD capability? You think having a HDD in the player will help with the loading of posters? Because other than that, I really don't need it to have a HDD since I have a NAS with 12TB of stoarge.
Hmm with the HDD I had serious problem which some days is working and some not .
I mean that the zappiti One 4K that I have is showing the network and I can access the HDD but most of the rest I cannot .
I contact the Zappiti with no luck and I'm trying to find out why ?
post #2940 of 2978 Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I received the Zappiti One SE 4K HDR yesterday. Set it up, and I'm still having the same exact issues I had with the Mini version.

No matter what I do, it seems like the posters and cover art are not simply cached the way I thought they would be. Every time I go into the picture wall after a fresh restart, they will load as if they were loading for the first time. At this point, I think this is just the nature of the beast with how Zappiti deals with them. Cloud, Synology Server, all the same. Navigating the UI loads the posters each and every time as if it were doing it for the first time.

As for Direct Output (DO), once again, 1080p movies will not play while DO is enabled. 4K movies do play in DO mode, but 1080p files don't.

I contacted Zappiti customer support on both issues, just waiting on their response.

I will continue to mess with it over the weekend and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page