AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2686633-zappiti-4k-hdr-mini-one-duo-thread.html)

Sledgehamma 12-21-2016 09:15 AM

Zappiti 4K HDR (Mini, One, Duo) Thread

Zappiti launched new Players using the latest Realtek (RTD1295) SoC.
  • HDMI 2.0
  • BT.2020
  • HDR (they don't specify it, but I guess only HDR-10
  • Android 6.0
  • Zappiti MagicPixel v2

So far it looks interesting.

Mini: 249€
One: 299€
Duo: 399€

Availability: 2nd of January (at least in Germany via German distributor)

Zappiti Mini 4K HDR
Zappiti One 4K HDR
Zappiti Duo 4K HDR

alexwill22 12-21-2016 11:11 AM

Pretty interesting. I am about to pre order my Dune HD Duo 4K today, I might get both and compare if someone sells the Zappiti mini 4K in the US.

Sledgehamma 12-21-2016 12:18 PM

Seems like no PGS inside mkv, though:

PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS)

That's a bummer!

robnix 12-21-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 49179401)

PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS)

That's a bummer!

Yup. After they ironed out the other issues on the original 4K it became a solid player. Lack of PGS support was a deal killer though. Their latest jukebox on top of a Dune Player would be ideal.

halfelite 12-21-2016 01:11 PM

I wonder how it compares to the zidoo x9s being same chipset. What happened between Dune and Zappitti anyone know why they dont play nice anymore?

Sledgehamma 12-21-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 49180009)
Yup. After they ironed out the other issues on the original 4K it became a solid player. Lack of PGS support was a deal killer though. Their latest jukebox on top of a Dune Player would be ideal.

Agree, that is an absolute deal breaker for me, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfelite (Post 49181009)
I wonder how it compares to the zidoo x9s being same chipset. What happened between Dune and Zappitti anyone know why they dont play nice anymore?

Didn't they just sell rebranded hardware with their own software? I would think that their margins weren't that good.

Nitemage 12-21-2016 02:23 PM

The company that wrote the original Zappitti software was just a Dune European distributer. They created the original software to help sell more players. Later they got into a licensing agreement with Dune and Dune sold players with an integrated version of the Zappitti software.

When Dune got out of the player market. The company behind the Zappitti software decided to market their own players using the software. Since it was their first attempt. They had a lot of issues with firmware on their players. It took them almost a year after they released their players before the firmware was relatively stable. So they got a pretty bad rep from the early buyers.

One of their biggest issues was customer service. They didn't like acknowledging issues with their players and they often removed items from their forums where issues were raised. Until sudden those issues were fixed in a new version of firmware.

robnix 12-21-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitemage (Post 49183441)
The company that wrote the original Zappitti software was just a Dune European distributer. They created the original software to help sell more players. Later they got into a licensing agreement with Dune and Dune sold players with an integrated version of the Zappitti software.

When Dune got out of the player market. The company behind the Zappitti software decided to market their own players using the software. Since it was their first attempt. They had a lot of issues with firmware on their players. It took them almost a year after they released their players before the firmware was relatively stable. So they got a pretty bad rep from the early buyers.

One of their biggest issues was customer service. They didn't like acknowledging issues with their players and they often removed items from their forums where issues were raised. Until sudden those issues were fixed in a new version of firmware.

They didn't just remove issues from their forums, they removed the forums completely. :rolleyes:

alexwill22 12-21-2016 04:50 PM

The mini is around $248 US shipping included directly from their store. I really want to try this one out, but I had some bad experiences with realtek chip in the past, but that was 10 years ago. I had a popcorn hour and another brand with the same chip died on me within 2 hours from over heating. But they was in a temperature control environment which is always cool. If this can play movies 6 hours straight, I would be happy.

BakeApples 12-22-2016 09:02 AM

Finally HMDI 2.0a support and HDR! Been waiting for this. My 4k player still works great but will most likely upgrade to this new one.

I wonder if the Netflix app will allow streaming in HDR, anyone know?
And possible Dolby Vision support?

Mr Eric 12-22-2016 11:42 AM

Knowing their track records for their previous players launch, I would highly advise anyone that isn't ready to do heavy beta testing to avoid to buy it on day one...

a5ian300zx 12-22-2016 03:35 PM

I heard somewhere that made8er will be coming out with new player with same chipset and with there track record it should be a good one with stable firmware.

I wonder when dune and popcorn will implement the newer sigma processor with hdmi 2.0

halfelite 12-22-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a5ian300zx (Post 49215401)
I heard somewhere that made8er will be coming out with new player with same chipset and with there track record it should be a good one with stable firmware.

I wonder when dune and popcorn will implement the newer sigma processor with hdmi 2.0

The Sigma chips are not released yet from SIGMA. Going off the zidoo kodi thread seems there is some stability issues with that chipset but for the most part pretty good feedback.

nirmeto 12-23-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 49179401)

PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS)

That's a bummer!

I found they have updated their website regarding PGS support.
Now it says:
PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS, MKV)

Seems to be an interesting alternative to Popcorn Hour A-500...
What are your thought regarding the picture quality of these two?
Do you know what chroma upscaling method (nearest neighbor?) Zappiti use?
Wonder the Zappiti MagicPixel works in real life? Maybe just marketing...

Sledgehamma 12-23-2016 09:13 AM

That's exactly why I want to test the new Zappiti. In the past Realtek was inferior to Sigma in terms of picture quality. Don't think that it has changed, but this needs testing.
I'm also not sure about their Magic pixel technology since I doubt that Realtek gives this much access to their hardware.

robnix 12-23-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmeto (Post 49232697)
I found they have updated their website regarding PGS support.
Now it says:
PGS (BD ISO, BDMV, M2TS, MKV)

PGS support is there only if subs are enabled by default. The issue is the the Realtek Chipsets don't support forced subtitles.

Sledgehamma 12-23-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 49232985)
PGS support is there only if subs are enabled by default. The issue is the the Realtek Chipsets don't support forced subtitles.

The new SoC has still no support for that?!

robnix 12-23-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 49233001)
The new SoC has still no support for that?!

Not that I'm aware of, I had the 4K player and there was no support there.

nirmeto 12-23-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 49233153)
Not that I'm aware of, I had the 4K player and there was no support there.

Thanks sharing your experience!
Will try the luck with Popcorn Hour A-500... As I do remember, it will support forced PGS in mkv?

a5ian300zx 12-23-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 49232977)
That's exactly why I want to test the new Zappiti. In the past Realtek was inferior to Sigma in terms of picture quality. Don't think that it has changed, but this needs testing.
I'm also not sure about their Magic pixel technology since I doubt that Realtek gives this much access to their hardware.

Do I take it a review is on the horizon then?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BakeApples 12-23-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 49232985)
The issue is the the Realtek Chipsets don't support forced subtitles.

They don`t?
I have the 4k player and i can see forced subtitles in MKV files. This was already discussed in the other Zappiti thread where the question was asked.
Therefore, i assume that the new chipset will have no problems with forced subs either.

Sledgehamma 12-23-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmeto (Post 49233505)
Thanks sharing your experience!
Will try the luck with Popcorn Hour A-500... As I do remember, it will support forced PGS in mkv?

Yes, no problems with pgs and mkv.

Sledgehamma 12-23-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a5ian300zx (Post 49233817)
Do I take it a review is on the horizon then?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Depends on Zappiti. I contacted them already. If they give me one, I will do a review.

robnix 12-23-2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakeApples (Post 49238889)
They don`t?
I have the 4k player and i can see forced subtitles in MKV files. This was already discussed in the other Zappiti thread where the question was asked.
Therefore, i assume that the new chipset will have no problems with forced subs either.

They problem is if subs are off by default, if subs are turned on they play fine. Forced subs should play when subs are turned off, the 4K player did not handle this properly. When I inquired with Jaques at Zappitti about any fixes his response was:

"Thanks for your mail
I understand your point, however We do not know the solution
"

And I'm aware of the other thread, I'm in it.

jediex 12-24-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 49245681)
They problem is if subs are off by default, if subs are turned on they play fine. Forced subs should play when subs are turned off, the 4K player did not handle this properly. When I inquired with Jaques at Zappitti about any fixes his response was:

"Thanks for your mail
I understand your point, however We do not know the solution
"

And I'm aware of the other thread, I'm in it.

Hi ,
actually PGS subs MKV will play fine with the new 4K HDR since now you can save the default sub and the default language .

We receive them next week so I'll be happy to test it for you!!!

Merry Christmas to all,
Raphael

Sledgehamma 12-24-2016 07:23 AM

But there is a difference between the default flag and the forced flag for mkv.
The clean/normal way is to tag forced subtitles with the forced flag and not the default flag. So the player needs to read that flag and not the default flag.

johnnyquest1426 12-25-2016 07:48 AM

I am interested in the zappiti duo 4k. This is the one for me. I really like the idea of the dual hdd rack since i mainly use my media player for movies. Just waiting for a US distributor.

BakeApples 12-27-2016 12:27 PM

Looks like the new HDR players are getting ready to be shipped out, i got an email today saying they are now in stock and my order status is now "preparation in progress".

sutton8 12-31-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakeApples (Post 49319665)
Looks like the new HDR players are getting ready to be shipped out, i got an email today saying they are now in stock and my order status is now "preparation in progress".

Yeah mine is in preparation too so fingers crossed maybe next weekend. I'm in the UK and it ships from France.

First thing I'll be checking is the forced subs.

sutton8 01-06-2017 09:19 PM

Has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Mine is still on it's way :rolleyes:

Initial indications from one U.K. owner on another forum are fairly positive.