AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Of interest:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
The AirTV player has the update to Android 7 and OTA recording to adopted storage on USB. Right now it's a free beta program. It uses the SlingTV interface integration with OTA guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's too bad that we didn't have a white box (AirTV player) and a black box (AirTV) thread. The other thread does seem more for the BB.
Not fully understanding the difference, I recently bought the AirTV player and cut the cord with Dish after 19 years where my only issue was escalating prices. I have all the channels we used with the Sling app with the Blue/Orange combo and Cloud DVR for $45 instead of $109. I am using a WD Elements USB for OTA recording and ordered the dual OTA tuner separately to upgrade the single tuner.
Recording has been fine, but the player seems to freeze every couple of days and requires an unplug reboot which is irritating. I did that one time while recording NCIS from the antenna. Instead of continuing, it overlaid the early part of the show and I only got the final 20 minutes. Cloud recording has been flawless. The Sling app has Fox and NBC national channels so I record those in the cloud. CBS and ABC record from the antenna. The blending of the two is seamless.
I have a TCL Roku TV and the audio from its built in Sling app is at a much lower volume than from the AirTV player, so we prefer the player for watching Sling.
The AirTV remote did a great job of picking up my initial test on a Hanspree TV automatically. When I move to the main TCL with a Pioneer AVR, it picked up the AVR but did not recognized the TCL. I was finally able to enter manual as a TCL Roku and it works. When I hit the power button, the TV, AVR and AirTV player all come on. Most of the time, the TCL goes to the AVR input and the AVR to the Cbl/Sat input. Once in a while I have to use their remotes to get everything right.
post #33 of 34 Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
During my initial set up of the AirTV player, it connected via my phone, but the setup locked up after a couple of inputs. I finished setup with the remote. I have not been able to connect via the AirTV or Sling app since. They just say "No AirTV found". As a result, I can only see cloud recordings from a Sling app, but can only view OTA recording and live channels directly from the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Bumping this thread. This is an AirTV player feature I wasn't aware of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaver76 View Post
For a more cable box experience, the AirTV Player (the blue and white Android TV box), by default, boots straight into the Sling app bypassing the Android TV home screen altogether. This also helps make a Sling TV/AirTV combination compelling as well.
That's nice if you spend most of your AirTV player time watching live or recorded TV, and less time watching streaming services like Netflix. It's also nice if you want a simpler-to-use device for a non-techie who might be intimidated by a (possibly cluttered) Android home screen.
mshaver76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
airtv , ces 2017

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page