Review: Zappiti Duo 4K HDR - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 86 Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
wow...

@Sledgehamma

superb WORK there !

gonna make my question fast: I was REALLY sold on magic pixel V2 when i read the AVCESAR review....now not so sure

so basically when you compare the PQ of this zappity VS Zidoo vs minix....there are essentially as GOOD ?

i am mainly interested in getting the minix U9 that runs AMLOGIC 912-H...but no reviews talk really about PQ of this SOC !

what can you tell me about that ?!

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Thank you.
Sorry, I can't compare it to neither, the Zidoo nor the Minix because I do not have these players.
Sadly, I haven't heard anything from Zappiti regarding MagicPixel.
post #33 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got my duo today and I thought I would be good to go on the hard drive front. I bought a pair of 4tb wd blue drives. I used Minitool partition (because windows would not recognize them) and initialized to GPT and then formatted to NTSF. No matter what I have tried I can't get the duo to see them.

Their user forum couldn't be any less helpful. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by benevolent View Post
I just got my duo today and I thought I would be good to go on the hard drive front. I bought a pair of 4tb wd blue drives. I used Minitool partition (because windows would not recognize them) and initialized to GPT and then formatted to NTSF. No matter what I have tried I can't get the duo to see them.

Their user forum couldn't be any less helpful. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I got my zappiti hdr one the other day. I put the hard drive in my old computer & did a long format. Now i am loading my videos on my hard drive. I am hoping ether tomorrow or Friday i can try it out. I will let you know how mine does.
post #35 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest1426 View Post
I got my zappiti hdr one the other day. I put the hard drive in my old computer & did a long format. Now i am loading my videos on my hard drive. I am hoping ether tomorrow or Friday i can try it out. I will let you know how mine does.
Don't spend too much time before you try it. I spent a week filling the drives only to stick them in and not have them work. I can hear them spin up but it's just not recognizing them. I tried the 2tb from AC Ryan and that worked fine so I reformatted one of the drives GPT NTFS and still nothing.
Falco533 likes this.
post #36 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Don't spend too much time before you try it. I spent a week filling the drives only to stick them in and not have them work. I can hear them spin up but it's just not recognizing them. I tried the 2tb from AC Ryan and that worked fine so I reformatted one of the drives GPT NTFS and still nothing.
Why not format it in the media player? That way you'll know it's in a format that player recognises. You can still pull it out to copy stuff onto it on a computer.
post #37 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Why not format it in the media player? That way you'll know it's in a format that player recognises. You can still pull it out to copy stuff onto it on a computer.
It says right on their webpage that the media player cannot format the drive.
post #38 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
It says right on their webpage that the media player cannot format the drive.
Sorry got mixed up between the Zappiti Duo 4K and the Dune HD Duo 4K. Dune allows formatting.
post #39 of 86 Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
I wonder if it is due to size. I've installed a 3tb Todhiba NTFS drive formatted by Windows and had no issues. Bar the fact it a bit noisy in an otherwise silent machine.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED (E6V)
In both Setups "Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, FireTV Stick 4K, Harmony Elite"
post #40 of 86 Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I wonder if it is due to size. I've installed a 3tb Todhiba NTFS drive formatted by Windows and had no issues. Bar the fact it a bit noisy in an otherwise silent machine.
Well I have a 3tb WD blue as well that won't work. They are very clear though that they can handle up to 10TB on their page. It was one of the reasons I went with the Duo

Did you literally just stick your drive in a usb hub, format through windows on windows 10, initialize GPT and then format as one partition?

Last edited by benevolent; 02-09-2017 at 08:21 AM.
post #41 of 86 Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I have a 3tb WD blue as well that won't work. They are very clear though that they can handle up to 10TB on their page. It was one of the reasons I went with the Duo

Did you literally just stick your drive in a usb hub, format through windows on windows 10, initialize GPT and then format as one partition?
It was initially formatted as an internal NTFS drive by Windows 7 with one partition. Made a movie folder and copied my files into it. Straight into Zappiti with no issue.
Falco533 likes this.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
post #42 of 86 Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It was initially formatted as an internal NTFS drive by Windows 7 with one partition. Made a movie folder and copied my files into it. Straight into Zappiti with no issue.
Do you know if it was GPT or MBR?
post #43 of 86 Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you know if it was GPT or MBR?
Pretty sure it was GPT. Come to think of it I initially formatted this drive in a Windows 10 machine.

post #44 of 86 Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Pretty sure it was GPT. Come to think of it I initially formatted this drive in a Windows 10 machine.
I got my zappiti hdr one the other day & now i am setting it up. My problem is on the GUI interface were you have zappiti explorer apps on explorer i can not read anything. It is all blurred . I set my language to English. APPS AND ZAPPITI no problem.
post #45 of 86 Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
can any of you compare the PQ of the zappity hdr/zidoo x9s to an amlogic S912 device ?
i really need to know which Soc offers the best image regarding SD/HD and of course 4k 10 bit HDR
i am desperate here, as no luck on other forums

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #46 of 86 Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi,

can someone tell me more about the zooming options? Is it for example possible to reduce the black bars in small steps like on previous Dune players?

I also read that the Zappiti does not support NFS servers? Is that correct?

Greetings
Andreas
post #47 of 86 Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cant remember the zooming options.

Yes, there is no support for NFS.
post #48 of 86 Old 03-11-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question or how the Kodi? Better to 16.1 or 17?
In what resolution reproduces zappiti they 4k videos Kodi? It is limited to 720D?

And functions to improve the image zappiti also function during video playback from KODI or Netflix?

How do the connectors Input HDMI? whether the signal connected to the TV tuner or DVD undergoes some treatment? Do you then also functions work "to improve" the image or the scales to the higher resolution?

I will be grateful for the help :-) because there is little information about this item ...
post #49 of 86 Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zappiti 4 K DUO HDR- FTP server issue

Hello
I am having a problem with my New Zappiti 4 K DUO HDR. I am not able to transfer the Files to Zappitit by using Filezilla Ftp server, from my PC . Iam able to log in to server and see all the contents of Zappiti from my using through Filezilla. But when i try to drag the files in to it i can see the files are copying but with error message " access Denied"

I have been using same set up with Earlier Zappit 4K DUO .

as i recieve feedback from Zappiti i can copy the files to Zappiti by entering below details to Windows exploere address bar, but this also getting error message

\\192.168.X.XX ( two back slash and IP address of Zappiti)

"Remote devise wont accept your connection"

Any experts here?

Anoop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2029393  
post #50 of 86 Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thank you for the review Sledgehamma! Much techy in depth than other sources.

So it comes to down to either SIGMA for the best PQ or REALTEK for HDR support. Since HDR is still a gigantic mess would you personally agree the A500 is the better choice if HDR is left out of the equation? It is quite hard to decide between them but my viewing is on a calibrated VT60 plamsa so I do value PQ.
Don't know how the inferior chroma upsampling translates to actual viewing experience of a movie? Also do you know whether it upsamples to 4:2:2 or to 4:4:4 the first would be much preferred.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer -- Apple TV 4K -- WD LIVE TV gen 3.
post #51 of 86 Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you don't need HDR then I would take the A-500. Chroma upsampling is not that visible. Best real life video to notice it is the beginning of Mr. robot where the inferior one is very clearly visible: Mr. Robot logo appears as big red letters.
The banding issue is something you will notice much sooner.
PCH does 4:4:4 and you cant change it. Zappiti has the option to do 4:2:2.
post #52 of 86 Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
If you don't need HDR then I would take the A-500. Chroma upsampling is not that visible. Best real life video to notice it is the beginning of Mr. robot where the inferior one is very clearly visible: Mr. Robot logo appears as big red letters.
The banding issue is something you will notice much sooner.
PCH does 4:4:4 and you cant change it. Zappiti has the option to do 4:2:2.
Bummer the banding is worse indeed. Is it firmware fixable or not likely? I know these thing take time to iron out, Sigma players were no different.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer -- Apple TV 4K -- WD LIVE TV gen 3.
post #53 of 86 Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know how the SoC and SDK are designed, but this needs an SDK update most likely because it seems to be on the decoder side.
As I never got feedback from Zappiti I can't say more on that matter.
post #54 of 86 Old 06-06-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, can somebody explain more deeply about audio part of this player?
Whats DAC inside and generally how much is better this one if compare with 3d model?

Thanks
post #55 of 86 Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What 3D model ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #56 of 86 Old 07-02-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Hey @Sledgehamma ,

Sledge, I have been reading up on various streaming boxes and the one constant is that you have been part of most of the conversations

I had been leaning heavily toward picking up a Zappiti Mini 4K HDR and possibly a DUO but only if I can rack mount it.

My main need: I have several BD-ISO and MKV rips of 3D movies, though moving forward I will be doing strictly MKV rips of my movies. However, I would need a player that can handle ISO/MKV rips and playback via MVC. Is full menu still supported on the zappiti? If full menu isn't supported am I still able to playback the BD-ISO file with a limited menu system in order to choose the movie?

UHD HDR: While I have several UHD movies on disc, it looks like I will have the option of ripping those to my HTPC in the near future. It would be great for some degree of 'future-proofing' this device.

Price: Of course, if I don't have to break the bank I'd rather not

Banding: Has banding been fixed? There was a message posted to the hifi-forum.de after your review stating that banding and always activated subtitles had been fixed as of early April.

Not important to me: Music playback, scaling capabilities, streaming apps.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8

Last edited by sonichart; 07-02-2017 at 07:05 AM.
post #57 of 86 Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
My main need: I have several BD-ISO and MKV rips of 3D movies, though moving forward I will be doing strictly MKV rips of my movies. However, I would need a player that can handle ISO/MKV rips and playback via MVC. Is full menu still supported on the zappiti? If full menu isn't supported am I still able to playback the BD-ISO file with a limited menu system in order to choose the movie?
No full menu on Zappiti for BD. I heard that they are planning to implement it, but no timeframe. Yes, simple menu is supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Banding: Has banding been fixed? There was a message posted to the hifi-forum.de after your review stating that banding and always activated subtitles had been fixed as of early April.
I never heard anything back from Zappiti directly, which is a bad sign. I don't have the device anymore so I can't test it myself.

You might want to take a look at the egreat A5 or A10 as they have BD menu and even UHD BD menu capabilities and also do 3D mvc inside mkv.
I will do a review of this device in mid August. Furthermore, I will do a PQ evaluation of several players (Oppo 203, Panasonic UB900, Xbox one S, PCH A-500, Zappiti 4K HDR and Egreat A10) around the same date.
sonichart, neo_2009 and SL600 like this.
post #58 of 86 Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They just released a new firmware with very interesting aspects:

-HDR to SDR conversion (they don't specify which color space is being used though)
-Improved the algorithms of upscaling, denoising and edge sharpening
-Improved the rendering effect, sharpness enhancement and clearness

Too bad I had to give the device back. Would love to test if they really improved the PQ.
post #59 of 86 Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
They just released a new firmware with very interesting aspects:

-HDR to SDR conversion (they don't specify which color space is being used though)
-Improved the algorithms of upscaling, denoising and edge sharpening
-Improved the rendering effect, sharpness enhancement and clearness

Too bad I had to give the device back. Would love to test if they really improved the PQ.
I just initiated an RMA for my Zappiti. IMO the device is not finished and not worth the extra money. For my needs, the Zidoo X8 gets the job done and for $150 less than the Zapp. My needs are a dedicated 3D streaming device that will play 3D BD-ISO and 3D MKV frame packed rips and the X8 performs well.

The X8 isn't all sunshine and puppy dogs. The weather app (can't uninstall it) doesn't work and my first X8 was defective (major video glitch artifacts in the main menu / app launch area). RMA'd the first one and tried another, definitely glad I did that.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #60 of 86 Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I will do a review of this device in mid August. Furthermore, I will do a PQ evaluation of several players (Oppo 203, Panasonic UB900, Xbox one S, PCH A-500, Zappiti 4K HDR and Egreat A10) around the same date.
A PQ evaluation of these players will be VERY useful. Looking forward to it!

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00 (Engineering Mode)
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page