Review: Zappiti Duo 4K HDR - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 86 Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have HDMI out connected to TV & Optical connected to my Amp.
How do I block the audio coming from TV speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 08-25-2017, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What I usually do is turn the television volume to zero, which works when you have HDMI as the source.
post #63 of 86 Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, I understand that, I asked the question because other players have a passthrough option which blocks audio going to HDMI (TV). I guess Zappiti spent most of their time getting the Media Center to work so well, rather than customising "Settings" like other players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 86 Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 AM

Liked: 13
How do u compare with Egreat A10 or PCH 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #65 of 86 Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
How do u compare with Egreat A10 or PCH 500

I had both, i.e. the Egreat A10 and the PCH 500. Both had lousy user interfaces and "video walls" and that's putting it mildly... Sold both at half price and bought the Zappiti. It's a very intuitive machine to use with outstanding picture quality. Couldn't be happier.
sutton8 likes this.

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #66 of 86 Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Where can i buy and try mini 4k

post #67 of 86 Old 08-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
Where can i buy and try mini 4k

If you live in the US, here's a link: http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/zappiti.html

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #68 of 86 Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Thankz a lot

post #69 of 86 Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
They just released a new firmware with very interesting aspects:

-HDR to SDR conversion (they don't specify which color space is being used though)
-Improved the algorithms of upscaling, denoising and edge sharpening
-Improved the rendering effect, sharpness enhancement and clearness

Too bad I had to give the device back. Would love to test if they really improved the PQ.
Well I still have it. now I NOT run it to test patterns and so.

First I have to confess I judge a player when using it every day. When I had the Zappiti 7 months ago, I also had the Zidoo for a while. A lot of people affirmed the Zidoo had the same picture, using the same Realtec. On my Sony VW 95 differences were obvious. The Zidoo needed more sharpening from the projector and was softer. But strange enough, I found the effect of depth, better in the Zidoo. The Zappity not gave me the impression of immersion.
Also difficult, due to the higher contrast to find a good balance, also for the details in dark scenes. A lot of people found the image breathtaking, but I kept seeing the flaws.

I take my mini Zappiti on holiday (I am 4 months a year at least in Thailand) I had hte last firmware there, and it looked better, but I not saw it on my projector. Until a few weeks ago.

WHat MY EYES, see, is a very important improvement. The what artificial sharpening, compared to my now older Oppo 93, has vanished. It looks much more natural then before. When before I did a comparaison with the OPPO, I missed the more natural feeling from that one. The Zappiti, even having a nice PQ , looked flat compared. But I not,understand how a new soft, can change things so much. Because finally I also have that feeling of depth that the player was missing and a more cinema feeling.

Now not all files have the same encodes, and some files can look good on both, but others can look better on the other. And now for me, the Zappiti is the better of the Oppo 93. Why? Because the issues I had before are gone, and mostly picture noise is better on the Zappitti. It is all cleaner.

There are some small bugs here and there, but PQ is now outstanding. But if you do keep in mind I use the player only in 1080 P, sometimes it looks like I am in 4 K already. I prefer the interface compared to Kodi, so even if it is more expensive then Zidoo (and I not know the improvements of that player, as I not have that one any more), when the basic settings are right, it is worth the extra price.

Yes, the only frustration is that it is not a good mediacenter, when using pictures and certainly for music. That it cannot give you an interface for that as good as Jriver on computer. But then to watch movies concerts, even HDTV caps, difficult to find better for the price.

I only use the Oppo 93 for music now.....
dynamiteroll and zappiti? like this.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #70 of 86 Old 09-03-2017, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post
Well I still have it. now I NOT run it to test patterns and so.

First I have to confess I judge a player when using it every day. When I had the Zappiti 7 months ago, I also had the Zidoo for a while. A lot of people affirmed the Zidoo had the same picture, using the same Realtec. On my Sony VW 95 differences were obvious. The Zidoo needed more sharpening from the projector and was softer. But strange enough, I found the effect of depth, better in the Zidoo. The Zappity not gave me the impression of immersion.
Also difficult, due to the higher contrast to find a good balance, also for the details in dark scenes. A lot of people found the image breathtaking, but I kept seeing the flaws.

I take my mini Zappiti on holiday (I am 4 months a year at least in Thailand) I had hte last firmware there, and it looked better, but I not saw it on my projector. Until a few weeks ago.

WHat MY EYES, see, is a very important improvement. The what artificial sharpening, compared to my now older Oppo 93, has vanished. It looks much more natural then before. When before I did a comparaison with the OPPO, I missed the more natural feeling from that one. The Zappiti, even having a nice PQ , looked flat compared. But I not,understand how a new soft, can change things so much. Because finally I also have that feeling of depth that the player was missing and a more cinema feeling.

Now not all files have the same encodes, and some files can look good on both, but others can look better on the other. And now for me, the Zappiti is the better of the Oppo 93. Why? Because the issues I had before are gone, and mostly picture noise is better on the Zappitti. It is all cleaner.

There are some small bugs here and there, but PQ is now outstanding. But if you do keep in mind I use the player only in 1080 P, sometimes it looks like I am in 4 K already. I prefer the interface compared to Kodi, so even if it is more expensive then Zidoo (and I not know the improvements of that player, as I not have that one any more), when the basic settings are right, it is worth the extra price.

Yes, the only frustration is that it is not a good mediacenter, when using pictures and certainly for music. That it cannot give you an interface for that as good as Jriver on computer. But then to watch movies concerts, even HDTV caps, difficult to find better for the price.

I only use the Oppo 93 for music now.....

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that PQ has improved.
Regarding music. I was under the impression that this is an area in which Zappiti plans/planned to improve a lot. Not sure about the timeframe though.
post #71 of 86 Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that PQ has improved.
Regarding music. I was under the impression that this is an area in which Zappiti plans/planned to improve a lot. Not sure about the timeframe though.
For me it is obvious they concentrate more on video. I would not count too much on dedicated, nice lay out, with indexing the audio. I like the use of a media center on computer like Jriver, and something like that on the Zappiti would be nice. But ok, I have other players for that, and now it easy to select your movie, and have very nice PQ. I also cannot compare to the latest Oppo models, who could also support the Hdmi in. But it is possible they are still better, but now the unnatural sharpening is resolved, the PQ and the immersion improved, I am fine with it as Videoplayer, but not as mediacenter. I never have the impression I need better picture quality or something is wrong with it. Just one thing, the contrast setting on my Projector, is lower then with other devices.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #72 of 86 Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Regarding the PQ improved with recent FW I updated my review.

See this post for details:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post50315401
VideoGrabber likes this.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 11-14-2017 at 02:15 AM.
post #73 of 86 Old 11-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
@Sledgehamma Bro do you plan to review Zidoo x9s/10? Thanks
post #74 of 86 Old 11-13-2017, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@cemo62 No, I don't plan to review the Zidoo X9S/10, sorry.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 11-14-2017 at 02:16 AM.
post #75 of 86 Old 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
@cemo62 No, I don?t plan to review the Zidoo X9S/10, sorry.
Dont you love their products or another reason? Thank you bro and sorry for my English
post #76 of 86 Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Regarding the PQ improved with recent FW I updated my review at the end.
Thanks for the update on the improved FW. Sounds like some significant enhancements.

My only suggestion would be a bit less ambiguous reference. I.e., your review was 8 posts long, and I (at least) stepped through all 8 of them, looking to see which you had recently revised. (And of course, it was #8 , but I had no way to know that when I started. )
post #77 of 86 Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Quote:
@cemo62 No, I don?t plan to review the Zidoo X9S/10, sorry.
Dont you love their products or another reason? Thank you bro and sorry for my English
I'm mostly interested in the picture quality and since they are using the same chipset there shouldn't be any differences in PQ in general. However since Zappiti was able to improve the Picture quality and also has the Zappiti Magicpixel engine (I still don't know how they implemented it, but it can't be deactivated) there can be differences in PQ. That said, writing a review about a product takes significant time which I don't have right now, sorry.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 11-14-2017 at 02:18 AM.
post #78 of 86 Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
Quote:
Regarding the PQ improved with recent FW I updated my review at the end.
Thanks for the update on the improved FW. Sounds like some significant enhancements.

My only suggestion would be a bit less ambiguous reference. I.e., your review was 8 posts long, and I (at least) stepped through all 8 of them, looking to see which you had recently revised. (And of course, it was #8 , but I had no way to know that when I started. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] )
Sorry about that mate. I changed it with a direct link to the post.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 11-14-2017 at 02:17 AM.
post #79 of 86 Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any topic where you compared the pq of multiple players side by side? For example, best models from Zappiti, Minix, Zidoo, Egreat, Dune...?
post #80 of 86 Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
power supply

Also in the visual domain manufacturers slowly begin to understand the importance of clean as possible power supplies that will better pq as it does so to sound as is well known and accepted by now in the audiophile ( highend) sector.

Like third parties offer regulated linear pws to replace the smps of the video part in the latest oppo players (https://darko.audio/2017/06/upgrade-...s-audios-psupd) so Zappiti developed their own stand alone power update for better sound and visuals http://store.zappiti.com/en/accessoi...dio-video.html

Although I would search for a better alternative than Zappiti is offering.

What you see, will never be what you see

Last edited by kyrill; 02-05-2018 at 03:31 AM.
post #81 of 86 Old 02-05-2018, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Do you have some scientific evidence for this? I’m very interested in this topic, but couldn’t find any.
post #82 of 86 Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Does this player allow for external hard drives via USB? The website mentions the internal bays, but that's it. It also suggests different collections for each drives. Is that accurate? That would be problematic as I have movies from the same series on different drives.

Also, it says it doesn't support full menu playback, but what does it do if a movie is in a full blu-ray folder structure? Will it play the movie only, use a "lite" menu, or not play it at all? About half of my collection uses a full folder structure and I don't want to have to convert them all to mkv.

Basically, my requirements for a player are:

4K support
HDR support (preferably with DV and HDR10+, but I understand that probably isn't likely/possible right now).
Ability to attach external drives via USB (and view them all as one collection)
Ability to play films that are in a full blu-ray folder structure, even if it's only the movie that plays.
Atmos/DTS:X
"Affordable"

Is this a good player for those requirements? I am coming from a Dune Smart D1 player with Zappiti on it. I'm starting to rip 4K titles, mostly for the Atmos as I don't have a 4K display yet. Unfortunately the Dune won't play 4K mkv files, even if it's only in 1080p.

If this doesn't meet the requirements above, I'm open to others that may.

Thanks.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #83 of 86 Old 02-07-2018, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Does this player allow for external hard drives via USB? The website mentions the internal bays, but that's it. It also suggests different collections for each drives. Is that accurate? That would be problematic as I have movies from the same series on different drives.

Also, it says it doesn't support full menu playback, but what does it do if a movie is in a full blu-ray folder structure? Will it play the movie only, use a "lite" menu, or not play it at all? About half of my collection uses a full folder structure and I don't want to have to convert them all to mkv.

4K support
HDR support (preferably with DV and HDR10+, but I understand that probably isn't likely/possible right now).
Ability to play films that are in a full blu-ray folder structure, even if it's only the movie that plays.
"Affordable"

Is this a good player for those requirements? I am coming from a Dune Smart D1 player with Zappiti on it. I'm starting to rip 4K titles, mostly for the Atmos as I don't have a 4K display yet. Unfortunately the Dune won't play 4K mkv files, even if it's only in 1080p.

Thanks.
I've only had my Zappiti One 4K HDR for about 5 days but I love it. Where the Nvidia Shield and Apple TV 4K failed to stream full remux and HEVC 4K files the Zappiti has been rock solid.

4K support
Yes.
Regular HDR, no DV or HDR10+
I'm currently watching Hacksaw Ridge in 4K HDR via USB external drive. I have a two drive dock attached as well as an 8tb drive connected internally. All three drives show as one collection.
This plays my 4k HEVC blu-ray folder structure movies perfectly.
I have verified through my Marantz SR6010 receiver that it bit streams both formats.
VideoGrabber likes this.
post #84 of 86 Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

4K support
"Affordable"

Thanks.
As soonerkevin points out it meets all of your requirements other than affordable

Whilst it will play the main feature in a BD folder structure we are still waiting for full bluray menu support. I was in touch with CS yesterday and they are still working on it. Have been since early summer!

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Vero 4K, Sony X700, LG OLED (E7V)
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED (E6V)
In both Setups "Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, FireTV Stick 4K, Harmony Elite"
post #85 of 86 Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Thanks for the responses guys. What are the differences between the One and Duo besides the number of hd bays?

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #86 of 86 Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. What are the differences between the One and Duo besides the number of hd bays?
As far as i know, there are no differences.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page