Blu-ray ripper subtitle handling and backup discussion thread for the Dunes - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #361 of 377 Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I think the title bar name comes from the EXE, i.e. the the name before .exe. I run up to three simultaneous instances of BRR and each EXE needs to be uniquely named and in a unique folder with its supporting files. I put the version in the name and append with _1, _2, etc., for the instance.
Version .111 is the latest.
Ah! That would be it - explains the "_1".
In that case, we should be using the same version. I'll go through my process again and post some pretty pic's.

Quote:
I casually, over several days, rip 12 -15 blu-rays to a large SSD and then furiously BRR them in one sitting ... renaming according to IMDB title and moving to my NAS.
Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
Subtitle_10_English_Maybe/Subtitle_10_English_Marked_Forced = 16 events.
Track 10 contains Type 3 events (16 events separate from main English subtitle track 7 that should be flagged as Forced).
Merge difficulty = Medium (Four events requires manual search).
Detection = Automatic Mode supported.
post #363 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I casually, over several days, rip 12 -15 blu-rays to a large SSD and then furiously BRR them in one sitting ... renaming according to IMDB title and moving to my NAS.
If you use the Custom Output Option, you can enter the IMDB title directly as the output name. You can also set your NAS as the output location, saving you time and a few steps. The remuxing step won't be any slower and your output will be where you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
Subtitle_12_English_Normal_Forced = 1538 Normal and 20 Forced events.
Track 12 contains Type 1 events (20 Forced events with the 1538 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 12).
Merge difficulty = None.
post #365 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Thanks. Won’t remuxing speed be limited by the Gigabit Ethernet connection between my workstation and NAS? Plus reading on the workstation is from SSD while writing is to a WD Red.

Is there a buffer somewhere that takes up the slack?

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #366 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Won’t remuxing speed be limited by the Gigabit Ethernet connection between my workstation and NAS? Plus reading on the workstation is from SSD while writing is to a WD Red.

Is there a buffer somewhere that takes up the slack?

Jeff
Disregard the direct save to NAS. I forgot you do multiple movies at once. You would start to bottleneck the network if remuxing > 1. It would be fine if you only remuxed 1 at a time while demuxing others but at some point your remuxes would overlap. I do suggest the Custom Output, I keep www.themoviedb.org open when I rip so I can input the correct name when I start. Someday I will have a feature to Autodetect/Search from inside Blu-ray Ripper. Its on my list of to do's and themoviedb.org has a good API.
pepar likes this.
post #367 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)
Subtitle_10_English_Normal_Forced = 1839 Normal and 172 Forced events.
Track 10 contains Type 1 events (172 Forced events with the 1839 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 10).
Subtitle_12_English_Normal_Forced = 1839 Normal and 172 Forced events.
Track 12 contains Type 1 events (172 Forced events with the 1839 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 12).
Merge difficulty = None.
Detection = Semi-Automatic Mode supported.
post #368 of 377 Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 PM

The Predator (2018)
Subtitle_7_English_Forced = 1 Forced event.
Track 7 contains a Type 2 event (1 event separate from main English subtitle track 8 that is flagged as Forced).
Merge difficulty = Easy.
post #369 of 377 Old 03-06-2019, 05:18 PM

The Equalizer 2 (2018)
Subtitle_9_English_Normal_Forced = 1016 Normal and 11 Forced events.
Track 9 contains Type 1 events (11 Forced events with the 1016 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 9).
Merge difficulty = None.
post #370 of 377 Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Overlord (2018)
Subtitle_12_English_Normal_Forced = 932 Normal and 91 Forced events.
Track 12 contains Type 1 events (91 Forced events with the 932 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 12).
Merge difficulty = None.
post #371 of 377 Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)
Subtitle_13_English_Normal_Forced = 1152 Normal and 42 Forced events.
Track 13 contains Type 1 events (42 Forced events with the 1152 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 13).
Merge difficulty = None.
post #372 of 377 Old 03-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Blu-ray ripper subtitle handling and backup discussion thread for the Dunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

Subtitle_13_English_Normal_Forced = 1152 Normal and 42 Forced events.

Track 13 contains Type 1 events (42 Forced events with the 1152 Normal events in the main English subtitle track 13).

Merge difficulty = None.

Great to see you online Kenneth. BRR is my most valued ripping tool. I wish we could get tsmuxer author to update it for UHD 4K. Guess mkv good except for not handling Dolbyvision (as far as I can locate) but complete faith in iso file format and all audio formats. Just upgraded AVR to Atmos and DTS:X. Plays great on Dune Solo. Have used stop before remux option to get video from BD and Atmos from 4K disc and then use tsmuxer to remux. Next step will be 4K projector but not in a hurry. They keep getting brighter and handling HDR better including auto picking correct settings based on authoring. Plus price is headed down. OLED May get large and cheap enough to render projectors not the only go to for large format.

Thanks again
post #373 of 377 Old 03-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Dances with Wolves (1990)
Subtitle_10_English_Forced = 390 Forced events.
Track 10 contains Type 2 events (390 events separate from main English subtitle track 7 that are flagged as Forced).
Subtitle_11_English_Forced = 390 Forced events.
Track 11 contains Type 2 events (390 events separate from main English subtitle track 7 that are flagged as Forced).
Merge difficulty = Hard.

Tracks 10 and 11 are identical.
Events 51, 190, 206, 224, 234, 309, 312, 341, 362, and 367 match to the Closed Caption event instead of the actual event that needs to be merged (SPEAKING SIOUX)
Event 186 has to be manually searched and merged due to not being detected by timestamp.

Merge All would work for all but 1 event but when watching with full subtitles turned on there would be 10 Closed Captioning events missing.

To get perfect merge using Merge (Slow): Manually search each event using Find Next and Merge and manually select the correct event for the 10 incorrect matches and the 1 wrong timestamp event.

To get perfect merge using Merge All (Fast): Merge All to replace all events automatically, manually search and Merge wrong timestamp event, manually search and Merge the incorrect events, Save, reopen original Track 7 and New Track 7 and manually search and Merge the 10 Closed Captioned events.
post #374 of 377 Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs88 View Post
I think I'm confusing the issue/s
I don't think the ISO overwrite is related to the playback crash. I just happened to discover them both around the same time.
Since the ISO overwrite is a known bug, no big deal there... and, yes, it pops up a dialogue box asking to choose whether to overwrite the existing ISO file or not.

OK. Will be interesting to see if you find similar. I'm doubtful as I'm starting to wonder if it's my particular (maybe geo/region) release of these discs.
No, I hadn't tried any other formats. I'm one of the ISO team
Quote:
@avs88 , I ripped Alien to ISO, mounted the ISO and then pointed BRR to it. I selected the streams as indicated below and proceeded. It reported no forced subtitle events, but I selected the three events (14, 24 and 32) it did display. BRR proceeded to demux, reported it was disabling the SEI VUI data and kept on rolling with no mention of overwriting. I went back and reran it this time with Move Cinemascope and Forced Events Only unchecked and Manual checked. Same results. It disabled the data and wrote the ISO without a warning.

Is your working folder different from your output folder? Otherwise, I'm outta things to try unless you want to send me your physical disc for me to rip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs88 View Post
Yes, working folder is definitely different from output folder.
I'll go through it again and take some screenshots... but, first, why does your BRR have "0.111_1" in the title bar but mine has none?
As far as I know, I'm using the latest version, which I thought was version 0.111.
OK, I have had some time to look at this. I cannot reproduce the issue with ISO/Disable SEI and VUI data. I have checked the code and it should delete the existing ISO prior to disabling SEI and VUI data and restarting the remux. Testing multiple disc's that require this function I have yet to reproduce the issue where it will not delete the small ISO it started.

As Pepar mentioned, do you have any strange permissions to the folders that you are using (Source, Destination, or Working)?. One thing you can try is running Blu-Ray Ripper as an Administrator (Right click the .exe and select Run as administrator). For some reason your ISO is not getting deleted prior to restarting the remux.

My suggestion for testing would be to create 3 folders on the same drive from the root named 1, 2, and 3 and set the permissions to Everyone Full. Place Blu-Ray Ripper in 1. Make 2 your Working. Make 3 your destination. This will ensure you have permissions that support proper file creation/deletion. It will also ensure there is no strange Path issues. Believe it or not I think there was an issue with 0's in the path at one time. I will see if I can find the issue.

As for your disc's playing properly. If you have a disc that requires SEI and VUI data not to be present (which you do) and you insert SEI and VUI data it will trash your output. The output will play with massive corruption/artifacts because your frame timings will be off.
post #375 of 377 Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2hart View Post
I ripped BD of movie Alpha released this year. It contains Theatrical and Director cuts of the movie. The disc was authored using two playlists that contain most of same mts streams.

Both playlists include 4 English subtitle streams. Two of them have forced events. The issue is the time stamps for at least one pgs appear to be relative to the start of the mts stream it is in — instead of relative to start of the movie/cut/playlist.

The pgs streams are
8 normal
21 normal
Based on review 8 has all normal events and timing for theatrical. Forced Events from 9 are included but not flagged forced. 21 is like 8 but with timing for directors.

9 forced with timing in sync with 8
22 forced with timing that is not relative to movie start but at start of mts it is contained (based on high level review of movie and lengths of mts segments.

To get a full theatrical rip would require:
or 8 and 9 merged
22 with a correction to all times

Anyone worked with Alpha? The Avatar BD I have exhibits the same authoring pattern.

Edit: method engineered to get desired results.
1) Ripped BD with MakeMKV to mkv file
2) MKVToolNix mkv file to set forced track flag in mkv file
2) TSMuxerGUI mkv file to iso file
3) BRR iso file to new iso file

While in BRR subtitle editor I merged forced track with main track. All works in terms of subtitle playing forced or descriptive text and forced. Not sure this should be a typical method or is optimal but since it’s all digital I expect results are fine. Causal 15 minute viewing looks and sounds ok. Gonna pull BD and try it on Avatar.

Alpha (2018)
Subtitle_9_English_Forced = 218 Forced events.
Track 9 contains Type 2 events (218 events separate from main English subtitle track 8 that are flagged as Forced).
Subtitle_22_English_Forced = 213 Forced events.
Track 22 contains Type 2 events (213 events separate from main English subtitle track 21 that are flagged as Forced).
Merge difficulty = Medium (Four events in Track 8 and three events in Track 21 require manual search).

Subtitle tracks 8, 9, 21, and 22 are present in both the Theatrical (Playlist 800) and Director's Cut (Playlist 801).

If creating the Theatrical version with English subtitles:
Load playlist 800, select subtitle tracks 8 and 9, use editor to merge all tracks, manually search the 4 not detected events.
If creating the Director's Cut version with English subtitles:
Load playlist 801, select subtitle tracks 21 and 22, use editor to merge all tracks, manually search the 3 not detected events.

This disc has nothing special about its subtitle events. It just contains both subtitle versions in both movie versions. It took no special steps or other programs to get the correct Normal and Forced subtitles merged into a single track.
post #376 of 377 Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
OK, I have had some time to look at this. I cannot reproduce the issue with ISO/Disable SEI and VUI data. I have checked the code and it should delete the existing ISO prior to disabling SEI and VUI data and restarting the remux. Testing multiple disc's that require this function I have yet to reproduce the issue where it will not delete the small ISO it started.

As Pepar mentioned, do you have any strange permissions to the folders that you are using (Source, Destination, or Working)?. One thing you can try is running Blu-Ray Ripper as an Administrator (Right click the .exe and select Run as administrator). For some reason your ISO is not getting deleted prior to restarting the remux.

My suggestion for testing would be to create 3 folders on the same drive from the root named 1, 2, and 3 and set the permissions to Everyone Full. Place Blu-Ray Ripper in 1. Make 2 your Working. Make 3 your destination. This will ensure you have permissions that support proper file creation/deletion. It will also ensure there is no strange Path issues. Believe it or not I think there was an issue with 0's in the path at one time. I will see if I can find the issue.

As for your disc's playing properly. If you have a disc that requires SEI and VUI data not to be present (which you do) and you insert SEI and VUI data it will trash your output. The output will play with massive corruption/artifacts because your frame timings will be off.

Thanks for your efforts.
I'll try again from the start and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, I'm a bit swamped at the moment, so may take me a while to get around to it...
post #377 of 377 Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
Subtitle_12_English_Maybe/Subtitle_12_English_Marked_Forced = 0 Normal events.
Track 12 contains no events (0 events that is 1kB and should not be flagged Forced).
Merge difficulty = None.
Detection = Semi-Automatic Mode supported.

This movie contains no forced events. Track 12 is empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page