Blu-ray ripper subtitle handling and backup discussion thread for the Dunes - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #31 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
This is very similar to way Clown_BD worked for years. At least the way I have been seeing the last several years. Based on you needs what benefit does two separate tracks give over my preferred method of a single Type 1? With BD-Ripper, Forced still play on cue and I can toggle main track with a single button press same as you.
That works well for Dunes but not every player knows how to handle that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
That works well for Dunes but not every player knows how to handle that.
I'm glad I named the thread correctly. Keep flames down to a minimum.
ScottJ likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #33 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope it stays on focus and remains productive. We need a place to discuss our Dunes and latest backup methods. These players have a good following and with better techniques to prepare media they will continue to give us a better end user experience. I try to keep it simple with all my clients that have Dunes. I spend the time with them and show them how to backup their media with these tools so they have a great and frustration free playback experience. This keeps them recommending the Dunes and keeps them coming back for more. A win win for all parties.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
This is very similar to way Clown_BD worked for years. At least the way I have been seeing the last several years. Based on you needs what benefit does two separate tracks give over my preferred method of a single Type 1? With BD-Ripper, Forced still play on cue and I can toggle main track with a single button press same as you.
For the most part compatibility. Most Media players can handle both ways. But once you get into using android/ios devices running plex or emby or using an xbox or ps3 or a tv built in player I find separate tracks have better compatibility across the field. If I never moved to remote playback capability I would have preferred a single track. But after wrestling with vpn connections and such for remote playback I moved to simple solutions that work with 99% of gear out there with options for devices that are of lower caliber. Comes down to different set of needs.

I personally think we will see the end of ISO/bdmv formats in the next 5 years. As more/better VR gear comes out for more of a personal video/viewing experience I think we will see a small push away from home theaters for a lot of people. I think HT will still be a part but I think we will have more pieces to the puzzle in the personal viewing area then we already do now.

Last edited by halfelite; 01-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #35 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
For the most part compatibility. Most Media players can handle both ways. But once you get into using android/ios devices running plex or emby or using an xbox or ps3 or a tv built in player I find separate tracks have better compatibility across the field. If I never moved to remote playback capability I would have preferred a single track. But after wrestling with vpn connections and such for remote playback I moved to simple solutions that work with 99% of gear out there with options for devices that are of lower caliber. Comes down to different set of needs.

I personally think we will see the end of ISO/bdmv formats in the next 5 years. As more/better VR gear comes out for more of a personal video/viewing experience I think we will see a small push away from home theaters for a lot of people. I think HT will still be a part but I think we will have more pieces to the puzzle in the personal viewing area then we already do now.
I plan to be retired in 5 years travelling the US in a 42 foot Diesel pusher RV. I was at an RV show last month in Palm Beach and I was in a Prevost coach that had Atmos in it with an LED star field head liner and a UHD Player. I tired to sell him on the Dunes but he didn't bite. He had no interest.
SuperFist likes this.

post #36 of 378 Old 01-30-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
I plan to be retired in 5 years travelling the US in a 42 foot Diesel pusher RV. I was at an RV show last month in Palm Beach and I was in a Prevost coach that had Atmos in it with an LED star field head liner and a UHD Player. I tired to sell him on the Dunes but he didn't bite. He had no interest.
Lucky you. I just started down a new business venture so no plans for retirement here
blackssr likes this.
post #37 of 378 Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for starting this thread! Can you confirm whether BD-Ripper merges the output m2ts files like clownBD for main movie rips? I started out with DVDfab and moved to clown after experiencing the seamless branch issues with BD-lite.

The Dune Sub Title Option sounds great and I am using a Dune for playback currently, but I would prefer to rip once and have the format that most closely resembles the original disk and will be the least player specific. Right now I'm ripping main movie to BDMV and stopping there. I have considered moving to MKV but have just stuck with BDMV because it has worked for me. Are either of the 3 subtitle types more widely supported? Sounds like 1 is the way to go at this point.
post #38 of 378 Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus View Post
Thanks for starting this thread! Can you confirm whether BD-Ripper merges the output m2ts files like clownBD for main movie rips? I started out with DVDfab and moved to clown after experiencing the seamless branch issues with BD-lite.

The Dune Sub Title Option sounds great and I am using a Dune for playback currently, but I would prefer to rip once and have the format that most closely resembles the original disk and will be the least player specific. Right now I'm ripping main movie to BDMV and stopping there. I have considered moving to MKV but have just stuck with BDMV because it has worked for me. Are either of the 3 subtitle types more widely supported? Sounds like 1 is the way to go at this point.
I suggest playing with the program. It is very intuitive and easy to use. The merging of subs is a little tricky but fairly easy to master. His tutorial is also a good reference point to start with. Try creating ISOs as they work really well with the Dunes and play them with BD Engine not the Lite Engine. The lite will ignore the forced tracks in ISOs. This is the problem with most of the other media players on the market sold today, they only have BD lite engines. Dune is the only player that is current generation and has a BD Engine.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-31-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #39 of 378 Old 01-31-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes it does. It combines all .mt2s files into a single file just as Clown did. No issues with that. Think of BD Ripper as Clown_BD on steroids. It uses the same core mechanics as Clown_BD but has been tweaked by the author based on his expertise and some of my recommendations. The latest tweaks are based on the Dunes playback strengths. We tried to give the end user a better movie playback experience using the latest tools available. I believe it shows and a great big shout out to @jasonkennethrose for his all hard work in making my suggestions a reality. All I did was request what I would like to see and he made it happen. I have no programming talent whatsoever. He is responsible for the technology and programming.

Last edited by blackssr; 02-01-2017 at 06:01 AM.
post #40 of 378 Old 02-03-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Hey bud.. all good.. Wife and baby?
Wife is great, baby is great, 10 months already [?WHAT?]. Moved a mile away last month. Needless to say my Dunes have been collecting dust. You?
blackssr likes this.
post #41 of 378 Old 02-03-2017, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Wife is great, baby is great, 10 months already [?WHAT?]. Moved a mile away last month. Needless to say my Dunes have been collecting dust. You?
Mine just hit 2.5 years and I am only 172 new releases behind (Still catching up from 2015 deployment). I only recently started catching up due to her sleep schedule. She’s down by 7 so I can get in a movie a night now. Good luck.
blackssr likes this.
post #42 of 378 Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Doing well. Thanks

post #43 of 378 Old 02-04-2017, 10:42 PM

I'm trying to use blu-ray ripper but I'm having an issue. At the Remuxing stage it doesn't progress... just stays at 0%. Any ideas?
post #44 of 378 Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to use blu-ray ripper but I'm having an issue. At the Remuxing stage it doesn't progress... just stays at 0%. Any ideas?
I would have to see your log.txt from your eac3to directory, the progress.txt and the meta.meta from your working directory.

One user has reported an issue when selecting both the HD and the core of an audio track at the same time (Results in core output only per the tutorial anyways). Another has said that BDSup2Sub.jar fails to launch. I cannot replicate either issue so I would need more information. Also check to see if you have write permission to where your saved directory is.
post #45 of 378 Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll send you a PM with the info.
post #46 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Trying the BDripper for the first time here and having an issue.
I have a disk loaded on the tray and followed the Quick Tutorial until page14 where it successfully detects the playlist.
My disk came up with just one playlist and I selected that and press Load and program just staying there at 0% with status "Loading".

I checked the "files/log.txt" and it has the following type of message .. Any suggestions?

eac3to v3.31
command line: "C:\....\files\eac3to.exe" "J:" 1) -progressnumbers -log="C:\working\.....\2ndPass.txt"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The format of the source file could not be detected. <ERROR>

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060, Altantic Tech System 350 THX
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub, Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Height (x4)
Epson 5050UB, 120" 16:9 screen, Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma
Dune HD Solo 4K, Popcorn Hour C-200, unRAID Server Pro OS 6
Oppo BDP-83, OPPO BDP-203, Sony BDP-BX520, Panasonic DMP‑BDT220
post #47 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
I have a disk loaded on the tray and followed the Quick Tutorial until page14 where it successfully detects the playlist.
My disk came up with just one playlist and I selected that and press Load and program just staying there at 0% with status "Loading".

I checked the "files/log.txt" and it has the following type of message .. Any suggestions?

eac3to v3.31
command line: "C:\....\files\eac3to.exe" "J:" 1) -progressnumbers -log="C:\working\.....\2ndPass.txt"
What are your full paths of Blu-Ray Ripper 0.096.exe, eac3to.exe, and the working directory? The command "J:" 1) is correct but I can't see the full path of the command.

I would say best guess you placed it somewhere you do not have full folder permissions.
post #48 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
What are your full paths of Blu-Ray Ripper 0.096.exe, eac3to.exe, and the working directory? The command "J:" 1) is correct but I can't see the full path of the command.

I would say best guess you placed it somewhere you do not have full folder permissions.

I just downloaded the files posted in the first post of this thread and tried it as described in the Tutorial. All files are kept in the same location just as in the example and I don't have permission issues. Yet the same error comes out in the log ..
Perhaps something else is wrong? Does the first post has correct files?

post #49 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I just downloaded the files posted in the first post of this thread and tried it as described in the Tutorial. All files are kept in the same location just as in the example and I don't have permission issues. Yet the same error comes out in the log ..
Perhaps something else is wrong? Does the first post has correct files?

Try moving from D:\Blu-Ray Ripper\ to just D:\Ripper\. I have zero issues with spaces in paths but other users have experienced issues with spaces. If you still have issues try right clicking the .exe and running as Administrator. This will check permissions.
post #50 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:

eac3to v3.31
Looking at this again and comparing it to your paths picture, your working directory does not seem correct. Your picture shows D:\Blu-Ray Ripper\working and your log shows C:\working\......\. Did you change it at some point?

I just tested:

Path to exe = E:\Blu-Ray Ripper\Blu-Ray Ripper 0.096.exe
Path to files = E:\Blu-Ray Ripper\files
Path to working = E:\Blu-Ray Ripper\working

Log.txt of eac3to.exe:

eac3to v3.31
command line: "E:\Blu-Ray Ripper\files\eac3to.exe" "D:" 1) -progressnumbers -log="E:\Blu-Ray Ripper\working\Arrival\2ndPass.txt"
M2TS, 1 video track, 4 audio tracks, 4 subtitle tracks, 1:56:23, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 14 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
4: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: Subtitle (PGS), English
8: Subtitle (PGS), English
9: Subtitle (PGS), French
10: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish

I had no issues with this setup.
post #51 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Yes I changed the location when re-downloaded the files. But it's still the same Error

eac3to v3.31
command line: "D:\Ripper\files\eac3to.exe" "J:" 1) -progressnumbers -log="D:\Ripper\working\SUICIDE_SQUAD\2ndPass.txt"

As you can see I re-named director to just "Ripper" and ran as "Administrator" also. I even tried a different disk but same results.
For reference I run this on a machine with Win7 Ultimate.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Last edited by termite; 02-19-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #52 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Try opening a command prompt and enter:

"D:\Ripper\files\eac3to.exe" "J:" 1)

Make sure to include the quotes. If it still errors, I guess you could try changing your drive letter to something besides J but this should not matter.
post #53 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Try opening a command prompt and enter:

"D:\Ripper\files\eac3to.exe" "J:" 1)

Make sure to include the quotes. If it still errors, I guess you could try changing your drive letter to something besides J but this should not matter.

Yes still the same Error on cmd line.

I just tried the program on a previously backed-up bluray folder (BDMV) instead of directly from the Blu-ray drive and it works that way. This is telling us it's having trouble reading from the drive isn't it? It however managed to get the playlist from it. Unfortunately I only have one blu-ray drive.

post #54 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:20 PM

You do have something decrypting the disc? It's not Blu-Ray Ripper if you can't use eac3to.exe from the command prompt.

I just tested a disc and didn't decrypt it. I was able to load the playlists and not load the tracks. I'm guessing you aren't decrypting the disc in anyway.

I glad you found this. Next version I will add a warning instead of just sitting at the loading 0%.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 02-19-2017 at 07:28 PM.
post #55 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You do have something decrypting the disc? I would assume so since it can see the playlists. What type of drive is it? Internal/external? It's not Blu-Ray Ripper if you can't use eac3to.exe from the command prompt.
Not sure if I understand your question .. but my drive is LG internal.
However when I run other tools such as "makemkv" on a blu-ray loaded on this same drive it never fails to read and backup.
I have a feeling I may have misunderstood the usage of this tool?

post #56 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure if I understand your question .. but my drive is LG internal.
However when I run other tools such as "makemkv" on a blu-ray loaded on this same drive it never fails to read and backup.
MakeMKV has a built in decrypting engine. My program goes best with AnyDVD-HD. You can still use my program with MakeMKV decrypting the whole disc first but it will take much longer to do backups.
termite likes this.
post #57 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
MakeMKV has a built in decrypting engine. My program goes best with AnyDVD-HD. You can still use my program with MakeMKV decrypting the whole disc first but it will take much longer to do backups.
Thanks. now I understand this better. Unfortunately I don't have AnyDVD-HD. Does this work with DVDFab? If so how to use it with this Ripper?

post #58 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks. now I understand this better. Unfortunately I don't have AnyDVD-HD. Does this work with DVDFab? If so how to use it with this Ripper?
I am not an expert on DVDFab (due to disliking the creators). I believe DVDFab will decrypt on the fly like AnyDVD-HD does. So as long as you have it running in the background decrypting you will be able to process your discs.

I highly suggest trying AnyDVD-HD. You can try it for free here at RedFox. I suggest it because I use its features to identify correct playlists for titles with playlist obfuscation protecting them.
pepar and termite like this.
post #59 of 378 Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 PM

I tried this on a pre-backed up blu-ray folder on my HD. On the last screen after I made my selections I can't see where the "OK" button is to move forward with the demux. It only gives me a button to Exit! maybe it's too late in the night and time to hit the bed...

post #60 of 378 Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Have you managed to make it through any discs yet? Were you doing anything during the loading of the tracks? Did you try closing the whole program and starting over? The window looks like it has an unusually large border but its been a long time since I was on Windows 7. The Load and OK button are in the exact same spot so if the Load appears the OK should also. I can load up a Windows 7 VM and test it if you can't get it to work at all. Are you using the default Windows display properties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page