Blu-ray ripper subtitle handling and backup discussion thread for the Dunes - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #91 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
Mine has six subtitle tracks:

9: English - 1810 Normal 88 Forced
10: English - 2159 Closed Captioning
11: French - 1758 Normal 80 Forced
12: French - 79 Forced
13: English - 2483 Directors Comments
14: English - 914 Scene Descriptions
Again my rip shows one each English and Chinese. Will look at files on disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Again my rip shows one each English and Chinese. Will look at files on disc.
9: English - 1810 Normal 88 Forced
10: English - 2159 Closed Captioning
11: French - 1758 Normal 80 Forced
12: French - 79 Forced
13: English - 2483 Directors Comments
14: English - 914 Scene Descriptions

This is from the actual US retail disc. Not a rip.
post #93 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Wireless member

I have the disc in the drive and AnyDVD HD running. Both your ripper and Clown show a single English and a single Chinese sub track. As I look at the disc I see "Estabamos Advertidos" just under "2012." And now I have my answer ...

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
2012 if I remember right has 4 English tracks and track 1 contains both the forced and non forced lines so a type 1.
I just did this last week. Same findings as you.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #95 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
I have the disc in the drive and AnyDVD HD running. Both your ripper and Clown show a single English and a single Chinese sub track. As I look at the disc I see "Estabamos Advertidos" just under "2012." And now I have my answer ...
Not very often you see knockoff bluray movies these days. I remember the old DVD days you bought anything from ebay or other iffy online sources and most often then not it was a knockoff. I have never seen one in person though for a bluray movie
post #96 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Not very often you see knockoff bluray movies these days. I remember the old DVD days you bought anything from ebay or other iffy online sources and most often then not it was a knockoff. I have never seen one in person though for a bluray movie
How do you know it's a knockoff and not a legit release from another country?

Then again, having Chinese subtitles with Spanish on the label is not exactly reassuring.
post #97 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Wireless member

All of the case is in English. The disc inside could be from MX. I did buy it used ... most likely from Amazon. I have watched it and didn't notice anything wrong. And I don't think I saw subs throughout of the English spoken. It's not a movie I have watched more than once, so I will run the rip/demux/remux process again and leave out the subs.

post #98 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
How do you know it's a knockoff and not a legit release from another country?

Then again, having Chinese subtitles with Spanish on the label is not exactly reassuring.
2012 was a region free release and as far as I know it was never released retail with Chinese subtitles also most often then not when you do have subtitles they are Cantonese. Very few discs have Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese subtitles. Also as you noted having a Spanish disc only contain English and Chinese subtitles is another give away.
pepar likes this.
post #99 of 521 Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Wireless member

Could I find and download the correct forced subs and mix them in?

post #100 of 521 Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could I find and download the correct forced subs and mix them in?
Yes if you can get them in sync. As its not a 3d title you can download a forced srt track from opensubtitles and mux it in you might have to tweak the delay to get it in sync.
post #101 of 521 Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Wireless member

Thanks, opensubtitles is one of the browser tabs I have open right now researching it.

post #102 of 521 Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Wireless member

What could be causing my problem? I ripped Pirates Of The Caribbean Curse Of Black Pearl to ISO and then processed it with the Blu-ray Ripper. The resulting m2ts has corrupted video. I stepped back and redid the rip and then the demux/remux process, and still had the same result. The m2ts files play OK from the unencrypted BD disc (AnyDVD HD). And just now I completed both the ripping and processing, but with Clown BD. The resulting m2ts is perfect.

Now that I think about it, Pirates 3 was corrupted and Pirates 2 was not; 3 was done with the Ripper and 2 with Clown BD. I am about to redo Pirates 3 with Clown BD.

edit: I had a number of corrupted results during this ripping session and am now trying them all again with Clown BD ....

Last edited by pepar; 03-03-2017 at 12:18 PM.
post #103 of 521 Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Wireless member

Update: Again, ripped Pirates 3 to ISO. Processed with Clown BD and resulting m2ts is pristine. To eliminate my rip as a possibility, I have kept it and will process with Blu-ray Ripper.

Jeff

post #104 of 521 Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Update: Again, ripped Pirates 3 to ISO. Processed with Clown BD and resulting m2ts is pristine. To eliminate my rip as a possibility, I have kept it and will process with Blu-ray Ripper.

Jeff
The first three PotC movies have weird issues. Clown_BD failed to process them correctly and I had to use tsMuxeR, as per this comment: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post45829353
post #105 of 521 Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
What could be causing my problem? I ripped Pirates Of The Caribbean Curse Of Black Pearl to ISO and then processed it with the Blu-ray Ripper. The resulting m2ts has corrupted video. I stepped back and redid the rip and then the demux/remux process, and still had the same result. The m2ts files play OK from the unencrypted BD disc (AnyDVD HD). And just now I completed both the ripping and processing, but with Clown BD. The resulting m2ts is perfect.

Now that I think about it, Pirates 3 was corrupted and Pirates 2 was not; 3 was done with the Ripper and 2 with Clown BD. I am about to redo Pirates 3 with Clown BD.

edit: I had a number of corrupted results during this ripping session and am now trying them all again with Clown BD ....
It is because of the way the original disc was authored. I am adding an option for this setting in the next release. You just happened upon a few discs that have this issue. Out of 1000's of discs ripped I have only seen about 10 that have this issue. Since there is not current GUI option here is how you can deal with it.

Use the skip remux option.
Once tracks are demuxed and you have merged your subtitles, say no to remux.
Edit the meta.meta file in your working directory with Notepad.exe.
Remove the following items: insertSEI
Save the meta.meta file.
Run the .bat file from your documents/ripper folder.

You can actually edit and save the meta.meta file when you have the popup for running the batch file still up. Then after the edit say yes to the popup.

I have the insertSEI option enabled for the video types tsMuxer suggests as default. Unfortunately a few discs video track will corrupt with the default settings. ClownBD does not use this setting at all. As I said above there will soon be an option on the GUI to disable this setting.
cnelson87 likes this.
post #106 of 521 Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
It is because of the way the original disc was authored. I am adding an option for this setting in the next release. You just happened upon a few discs that have this issue. Out of 1000's of discs ripped I have only seen about 10 that have this issue. Since there is not current GUI option here is how you can deal with it...
Great news, thank you for all your efforts!
post #107 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
It is because of the way the original disc was authored. I am adding an option for this setting in the next release. You just happened upon a few discs that have this issue. Out of 1000's of discs ripped I have only seen about 10 that have this issue. Since there is not current GUI option here is how you can deal with it.

I have the insertSEI option enabled for the video types tsMuxer suggests as default. Unfortunately a few discs video track will corrupt with the default settings. ClownBD does not use this setting at all. As I said above there will soon be an option on the GUI to disable this setting.
Is there any way in advance to know which titles corrupt with the defaults?
post #108 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 06:09 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
The first three PotC movies have weird issues. Clown_BD failed to process them correctly and I had to use tsMuxeR, as per this comment: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post45829353
Thanks. I should search before I ask questions.

post #109 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 06:20 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Use the skip remux option.
Once tracks are demuxed and you have merged your subtitles, say no to remux.
Edit the meta.meta file in your working directory with Notepad.exe.
Remove the following items: insertSEI
Save the meta.meta file.
Run the .bat file from your documents/ripper folder.

You can actually edit and save the meta.meta file when you have the popup for running the batch file still up. Then after the edit say yes to the popup.

Is there a way to know in advance which titles need a settings change?

post #110 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Is there a way to know in advance which titles need a settings change?
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are the titles I ran into this problem with. Maybe we can just leave it off all the time? That is what clown does.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #111 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Wireless member

With two settings other than default I would think that it has a purpose.

post #112 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are the titles I ran into this problem with. Maybe we can just leave it off all the time? That is what clown does.
I've always struggled with this question. tsMuxer's options recommend this setting when muxing Blu-Rays.

- insertSEI If original stream does not contain SEI picture timing,
SEI buffering period or VUI parameters, then add this data
to the stream. This option is recommended for BD muxing.

This option is used with H264 video but not VC1 or MPEG2. I have used this logic in Blu-Ray Ripper. I have asked in a few different places for more information on this setting but I have never got a definitive answer. I only know it has to do with framerate and timing information. There are 3 settings Off, Add if missing, Add no matter what. I use the Add if missing setting. I would hate to remove this option and have other issues down the road (Chapter seeking, fast forwarding and rewinding). I am guessing the movies that have issues with this setting do not have SEI and VUI data present and tsMuxer adds incorrect timings.

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to determine if it will corrupt the video before you start. I would also take the option out if someone of more knowledge on the setting could fully explain it and the consequences of removing it.

I have uploaded a new version with the option to disable insetSEI. If you want you can leave it checked and never have a corrupt video but I don't guarantee any other issues.
cnelson87 and avs88 like this.
post #113 of 521 Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've always struggled with this question. tsMuxer's options recommend this setting when muxing Blu-Rays.

This option is used with H264 video but not VC1 or MPEG2. I have used this logic in Blu-Ray Ripper. I have asked in a few different places for more information on this setting but I have never got a definitive answer. I only know it has to do with framerate and timing information. There are 3 settings Off, Add if missing, Add no matter what. I use the Add if missing setting. I would hate to remove this option and have other issues down the road (Chapter seeking, fast forwarding and rewinding). I am guessing the movies that have issues with this setting do not have SEI and VUI data present and tsMuxer adds incorrect timings.

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to determine if it will corrupt the video before you start. I would also take the option out if someone of more knowledge on the setting could fully explain it and the consequences of removing it.

I have uploaded a new version with the option to disable insetSEI. If you want you can leave it checked and never have a corrupt video but I don't guarantee any other issues.
There are problems with removing it. But it all depends on the source. SEI messages transport information for MVC encoded 3d movies. They also have handle error correct and an assortment of other features. Sadly it all falls to the demuxer and decoder on how to handle when there is no SEI present. A lot of live DVB have problems and I know for KODI they did a work around enabling to always start with Valid Frame 0. Also closed captioning needs it for live streams. Only retail stuff that I know of is MVC but I am no expert sadly it has a lot of functions that it could be used for so hard to say.
post #114 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I just got back to my workstation and my ripping project. I ripped Pirates 1 to ISO and processed it with Ripper. As before, the video is corrupted. I then processed the same ISO with Clown BD (defaults) and resulting m2ts is OK. I then dropped Ripper's demuxed video and audio files into tsMuxeR's GUI (defaults) and muxed them. The resulting m2ts file is also OK.

Doesn't that point to something else being amiss other than Ripper's SEI setting?

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 03-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #115 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I just got back to my workstation and my ripping project. I ripped Pirates 1 to ISO and processed it with Ripper. As before, the video is corrupted. I then processed the same ISO with Clown BD (defaults) and resulting m2ts is OK. I then dropped Ripper's demuxed video and audio files into tsMuxeR's GUI (defaults) and muxed them. The resulting m2ts file is also OK.

Doesn't that point to something else being amiss other than Ripper's SEI setting?

Jeff
No. What version did you use? .98? What setting did you use for Disable insertSEI? Checked or not checked. Why do you rip to ISO first? What are your default settings for tsMuxer? The corruption doesn't happen when you demux, it happens when you remux with insertSEI turned on. Go back to tsMuxer with the demuxed files and compare the meta to the meta from Blu-Ray Ripper. Are they the same?

I don't have Pirates Of The Caribbean on Blu-Ray. Do you have Pinocchio, Man on Fire, Kill Bill 1 or 2? I know all these experience the corruption due to insertSEI.
post #116 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Wireless member

Haven't downloaded your latest version.

All settings on Ripper, Clown and tsMuxeR were as untouched as they were for all of my previous usage.

I rip to ISO first because that's the way I do it. I have certain computer usage periods that allows me the time to rip BD's to ISO, and other usage periods that allow me more time to do the research needed for subs, correct playlist, set up the IMDB-named folders, moving to media server, etc, while running Ripper/Clown. There's no difference AFAIK.

I will look at the metas again, but I think they are identical. I need to be certain what files I am comparing. I did a screen cap of tsMuxeR while it was muxing.

Headed there now,
Jeff

post #117 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
No. What version did you use? .98? What setting did you use for Disable insertSEI? Checked or not checked. Why do you rip to ISO first? What are your default settings for tsMuxer? The corruption doesn't happen when you demux, it happens when you remux with insertSEI turned on. Go back to tsMuxer with the demuxed files and compare the meta to the meta from Blu-Ray Ripper. Are they the same?

I don't have Pirates Of The Caribbean on Blu-Ray. Do you have Pinocchio, Man on Fire, Kill Bill 1 or 2? I know all these experience the corruption due to insertSEI.
I do not have the titles you cite. French Connection is another that I had a problem with. Here are the two metas as well as tsmuxer working.

post #118 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Haven't downloaded your latest version.

All settings on Ripper, Clown and tsMuxeR were as untouched as they were for all of my previous usage.

I rip to ISO first because that's the way I do it. I have certain computer usage periods that allows me the time to rip BD's to ISO, and other usage periods that allow me more time to do the research needed for subs, correct playlist, set up the IMDB-named folders, moving to media server, etc, while running Ripper/Clown. There's no difference AFAIK.

I will look at the metas again, but I think they are identical. I need to be certain what files I am comparing. I did a screen cap of tsMuxeR while it was muxing.

Headed there now,
Jeff
Why do you even bother if you aren't using the correct version.... I gave you an option in .098 to disable insertSEI and you kept using an old version.

Anyway .098 is now old. Version .099 can now automatic detect H264 video that will corrupt when the insertSEI option is set. The setting will now be turned off when it will result in corrupt video. Tested with Pinocchio and Kill Bill 1

If you aren't running .099 don't bother continuing with troubleshooting.

Also you can rip Disc > Blu-Ray Ripper > Hard Drive without issues if you are running a on-the-fly decryption like AnyDVD-HD which I think you are. It saves a ton of time.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 03-05-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #119 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Wireless member

Sir. Yes, sir.

post #120 of 521 Old 03-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Sir. Yes, sir.
Sorry for being so blunt. I just want you to have great results every time. I am willing to help out or fix anything that is needed but always running the latest version is key. I rip 5-10 discs a week, I usually find issues fairly fast. I have always lived with the insertSEI because it was very rare but now I have a great built in fix.
blackssr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page