Hope this is the right forum for this post.
I have recently signed up for the 1 week Fubo free trial, and am giving it a try.
Being a cheapskate, I signed up for Fubo to freely catch up on TV programs. Fubo advertises itself as a sports provider, which I don't care about, but also has all the broadcast and cable stations I currently watch.
I have previously tried most of the other major streaming services and recoding tools, such as Sling, Hulu, Hulu+Live TV, Netflix, Youtube TV, DirecTVNow, PlayStation Vue (about to die), USTVNow (free version only), Skystream TV (now dead), Amazon Prime, Google Play, iTunes, LOCAST, Fitzy TV, PlayOn, Kodi, and a number of free or partly free providers like Vudu, Comcast Cable TV, VCRs (which I loved, but no longer useful), TIVO, Logitech Vue, Android TV, and Roku boxes.
I watch Fubo through the Chrome browser on a Windows 7 PC. I could try other hardware and software, but this is good enough for me. I particularly like keyboard searching on that platform.
1. As far as I can tell on a 1080p HDTV and good headphones, Fubo picture and sound quality are quite good.
2. It includes most of the major OTA broadcast networks, except ABC. I love that, because I live in a basement, and am not allowed to set up an outside or attic antenna. Sling is cheaper, but doesn't have most broadcast networks. I have made do with LOCAST and FitzyTV to fix that. Of course, the local broadcast stations will be very hard to get once I move to an area in upstate NY where OTA TV is blocked by terrain. I'm trying to decide whether it is dishonest to maintain a billing address with a DC-area address.
3. So far Fubo has been pretty reliable. It is mostly easy to figure out, if a bit clumsy and slow for touch typists, like any GUI.
4. The DVR service lets me fast forward through the ads. Wonderful!
5. I am actually quite satisfied with the service, and would recommend it to people who could afford it. AFAIK
, there is no reason not to try it.
The bad (mostly minor nitpicks, not detracting from the central point that so far everything works well):
1. If it wasn't a free trial, it would be at least $60/month, pretty high next to the others I've tried. Also, when you sign up for the free trial, you can't turn off some of the extra services that will eventually add cost.
2. Playback controls for on-demand and recorded programs:
A. They cover part of the picture, including the most important central part. They stay on too long.
B. They sometimes come on spontaneously. Perhaps a vibration causes my mouse to move a little, but if so, Fubo is much too sensitive.
C. There is no 8 second rewind. The overly long 15 second rewind, if you hit it once or twice, causes the playback controls to stay on the screen permanently. My only fix is to go back to the program selection screen, and laboriously re-select the program and episode. So if I miss a moment of what was said or done, it is a pain in the neck to go back and hear and see it again without the playback controls in the way. Many people won't figure it out. IMO, this is Fubo's biggest flaw.
3. Closed captions:
A. If I want it, I keep having to turn it on. I can't tell Fubo to remember that is my choice.
B. There is no transparent background setting, so closed captions cover more of the picture than I want them to.
4. I see no way to remember favorite programs.
5. Doesn't work with PlayOn or FitzyTV.
6. The GUI requires many, many mouse clicks. E.g., If you look at various categories of program, only a few show on the screen at a time, and you keep having to use the mouse to see the next few. It would be a major convenience to put them on on a single web page, that the user can scroll through. A brief description on that page, next to every icon, would be nice.
7. Has no recommended program section based on previously viewed programs. Some other services include this.