Egreat A5 & A10 3D/4K HDR w/BD MENU - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #391 of 456 Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Why do you think the Egreat does not support 444?
Please read my review, the answers to your questions are there.
Android 7 Beta should be out “soon”, but they said it some time ago already. I guess they have major problems with the migration.
I read somewhere (egreat forum, this forum or avforum) that there were serious 4.4.4 problems. I cant really find where i saw it.
I read your detailed review, i couldnt find anything about downsampling from uhd to 1080p. Although i might have misread ofcourse.
Thats why i asked.

Btw i use Pioneer plasma and Pioneer SC-lx801 AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 456 Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I tested the HDR to SDR conversion in which I used the UHD BD vs BD.
So there are no problems with downscaling that content.
post #393 of 456 Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
On the Egreat website, which firmware is the forced recovery firmware -- they have like 5 versions of the firmware but I'm not sure which one is considered the forced recovery firmware, unless it's kept in some other area. Thanks!

I'm hoping that maybe something went wrong when my firmware was updated to 1.2.5.6. because now the vidon application can't seem to decode the dvix or xvid codec. Kodi and the egreat regular player can, but vidon can no longer do it, it just boots me out of the app when I try. It's sort of perplexing. I know vidon used to be able to decode those codecs, as it shows i watched some shows. It's not a critical problem because I can always go to the regular egreat player but I like the vidon interface the best, and Kodi for some reason doesn't work well with the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 456 Old 03-22-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
On the Egreat website, which firmware is the forced recovery firmware -- .
They all are, grab the latest version. The player should update again after that when it sees a newer one on the server.

FWIW the player's native player is still a Vidon variant. But it sure does work better than the full Vidon app does.
post #395 of 456 Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 PM

Thanks, I'll try it when I get a chance. I'm sure that Vidon can decode those old codecs if the regular player can!
post #396 of 456 Old 03-23-2018, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 226
You guys who use SPMC for playback. Are you aware that the developer has/will be stopping future development? He is moving to work with MrMC.
post #397 of 456 Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try it when I get a chance. I'm sure that Vidon can decode those old codecs if the regular player can!
Your optimism may be misplaced. It may, but you'll have to find the right combination of incantations and settings in the software. In any case, the Vidon app is re-installed with the firmware restore so it will be reset to defaults.
markswift2003 likes this.
post #398 of 456 Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
... You'll have to find the right combination of incantations and settings in the software...

rofl!
post #399 of 456 Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
rofl!
I wouldn't rule out needing a chalk pentagram around the player to make the software work.
post #400 of 456 Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 PM

There's a new beta firmware out for the 5/10/11 players. Anyone had the nerve to try it out? Seems like mostly changes for the poster wall.

Quote:
Version 1.2.8.8
Poster-Wall: Change poster scrape service port
Poster-Wall: Fix episode poster no display
Poster-Wall: Fix poster flag no display
Poster-Wall: Correct Game of Thrones, etc posters
Player: Optimize forward and pause playback interface
Setting: Optimize Wi-Fi setting interface, add On/Off options
Setting: The front LED shows clock when it is screen saver mode
System: Fix playback stutter issue cased by Wi-Fi
System: Change Ethernet and Wi-Fi working mode, when connect Ethernet, Wi-Fi will be off automatically
System: Fix sometimes NAS can’t visit and can’t put in account, password issue
post #401 of 456 Old 04-25-2018, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
There's a new beta firmware out for the 5/10/11 players. Anyone had the nerve to try it out? Seems like mostly changes for the poster wall.
Personally I have noticed no change whatsoever. All the previous issues remain as is.
post #402 of 456 Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Personally I have noticed no change whatsoever. All the previous issues remain as is.
Can you play xvid encoded videos on Vidon with the latest beta firmware? I seem to have problems with those and dvix. All of the newer codecs seem to work for me.
post #403 of 456 Old 04-28-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
all i know is it didn't fix the highest priority issue for me. you still can't play VC-1 MKV files, which means i've been unable to watch 20% of my collection since they broke it 5 months ago. they refuse to even address the issue in their forums. it blows my mind how incompetently they've handled this. i don't think anyone should consider this company when looking to buy from this category.
WMConey likes this.

Last edited by hamsterhuey; 04-28-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: error
post #404 of 456 Old 04-29-2018, 12:34 AM

Well, it took every bit of going through the settings and software, and incantations as well as mystical gestures, but I finally got Vidon to play xvid and Dvix codecs again. The key was to go under settings, video, and then acceleration. I removed all of the hardware acceleration and they worked! After adding them back in one at a time, they would play if i just removed the hardware acceleration of libstagefright and Mediacodec. The other one mediacodec (surface) was okay. So now I'm happy with Vidon again.

I also updated the firmware to the latest. And tried to reset the data in the Egreat player and have the poster scrape my movies and television shows again. It seems to hang up, LOL. Oh well, I hardly ever used that player anyway, but it figures. Edit: Well I was watching something on Vidon and then checked the regular Egreat player, and lo and behold most of the stuff was back and mostly organized. It seems that it needed to work in the background. Still, the vidon scrapes better. I can't figure out why i have 1800 unclassified files, LOL.

Last edited by Briguy65; 04-29-2018 at 01:55 AM.
post #405 of 456 Old 04-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterhuey View Post
all i know is it didn't fix the highest priority issue for me. you still can't play VC-1 MKV files, which means i've been unable to watch 20% of my collection since they broke it 5 months ago. they refuse to even address the issue in their forums. it blows my mind how incompetently they've handled this. i don't think anyone should consider this company when looking to buy from this category.
This does not absolve Egreat of their negligence, but might I suggest a workaround for the meantime. Use 'tsMuxer' to remux the the VC-1 MKV files into an ISO. This will let you retain chapter info and also play the files with the A10.
post #406 of 456 Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Can you play xvid encoded videos on Vidon with the latest beta firmware? I seem to have problems with those and dvix. All of the newer codecs seem to work for me.
I only use the native Egreat player. Therefore I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
post #407 of 456 Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
I only use the native Egreat player. Therefore I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
It's okay -- I figured it out -- check post 404, but thanks for replying!
Sanjay likes this.
post #408 of 456 Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
And tried to reset the data in the Egreat player and have the poster scrape my movies and television shows again. It seems to hang up, LOL. Oh well, I hardly ever used that player anyway, but it figures. Edit: Well I was watching something on Vidon and then checked the regular Egreat player, and lo and behold most of the stuff was back and mostly organized.
yeah their scraper is terrible. sometimes it updates my library immediately after i add new titles, and sometimes it takes a week or two. i haven't been able to figure it out. i've asked in their forums several times but never get a response.
post #409 of 456 Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
yeah their scraper is terrible. sometimes it updates my library immediately after i add new titles, and sometimes it takes a week or two. i haven't been able to figure it out. i've asked in their forums several times but never get a response.
Huey -- I think I read you can't watch VC-1 on Vidon? Unless I'm mistaken, why not try what I did. Under settings in Vidon, go to the video tab, then pick the acceleration tab, and then there are 4 choices -- click off all of them and see if that fixes the problem. If it's not with Vidon forget it, but hardware acceleration is what affected by dvix and xvid encoded files. Edit: I should mention that I am giving them a bit of a pass regarding their scraper, because most of the files that aren't classified are Korean television dramas, which could be trickier to classify. I believe all of the "movies" I have are correctly classified, but I need to wade through a lot of stuff, which is why I prefer the Vidon player. I read that you can start up in vidon, I'll have to look into that, although I may not do that as it may be better to have the Egreat player available as a backup.
post #410 of 456 Old 04-30-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Huey -- I think I read you can't watch VC-1 on Vidon? Unless I'm mistaken, why not try what I did. Under settings in Vidon, go to the video tab, then pick the acceleration tab, and then there are 4 choices -- click off all of them and see if that fixes the problem.
yeah i tried this and it didn't work. i think the problem is in their firmware because the egreat player has the same issue. thanks though.
post #411 of 456 Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
yeah i tried this and it didn't work. i think the problem is in their firmware because the egreat player has the same issue. thanks though.
Ahh, yeah, that's right. The Egreat player would work for me but Vidon would not. I know this is not the greatest player, but I bought it because of it's industrial design. I really didn't want one of those tiny little boxes that get lost in an entertainment center. I wanted all of my component to be of at least a certain width so you can stack them. Although because this player seems to get a bit hot, well at least the internal hard drive does, I do not have it stacked below anything. It's sitting on top of an old playstation 2 that is gathering dust, LOL.
post #412 of 456 Old 05-06-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After getting a Dune HD Pro 4K I've decided to revisit the A5 to compare but one of the things that annoyed me about it is the blinding searchlight on top and brightness of the front display.

So this is for anyone who wants to disable one and dim the other - simply unscrew the bottom and unplug the top light (yellow arrow) and while you're in there you can slot a piece of coloured gel in between the LED display and the front window (red arrow).

If you don't have any gel, a dark coloured sweet wrapper will do just as well!.

Makes for a much more cinema friendly device...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9877.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	2399556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9878.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	2399558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9879.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	820.0 KB
ID:	2399560  
videobruce and hamsterhuey like this.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #413 of 456 Old 05-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
After getting a Dune HD Pro 4K I've decided to revisit the A5 to compare
So........what do you think?
post #414 of 456 Old 05-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 328
markswift2003;
I don't know what's with the Chinese, they can't seem to get the light output of these displays and/or indicator lights right. They are either way to bright, or you can't see them at all.

That's one sloppy soldering and/or glue job (whatever that stuff is) for the front panel display to the board. Considering what they want to sell these for, this should be in a much lower league. I thought that white adhesive that is used in the Zidoo was bad enough.
Did you take any pics of the business side of that board?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #415 of 456 Old 05-06-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
After getting a Dune HD Pro 4K I've decided to revisit the A5 to compare but one of the things that annoyed me about it is the blinding searchlight on top and brightness of the front display.

So this is for anyone who wants to disable one and dim the other - simply unscrew the bottom and unplug the top light (yellow arrow) and while you're in there you can slot a piece of coloured gel in between the LED display and the front window (red arrow).

If you don't have any gel, a dark coloured sweet wrapper will do just as well!.

Makes for a much more cinema friendly device...
So how do you like the Dune vs the A5? I see so many different media streamers, players, android boxes, it's super confusing. But I know Dunes are great, but it's using the realtek SoC, which I'm not sure is as nice as the Hisilicon one -- but don't quote me because I can barely figure out how to boot into Vidon with the A10, LOL. On that note, I think the LED display on the A10 isn't as obnoxious as the A5, and it doesn't have the brightly lit Egreat logo on top.
post #416 of 456 Old 05-06-2018, 07:56 PM

Apparently there are still people who haven't heard about LightDims They can solve virtually any bright LED issues and even come in big sheets you can cut to any size.
post #417 of 456 Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zani004 View Post
So........what do you think?

Quote:
So how do you like the Dune vs the A5? I see so many different media streamers, players, android boxes, it's super confusing. But I know Dunes are great, but it's using the realtek SoC, which I'm not sure is as nice as the Hisilicon one -- but don't quote me because I can barely figure out how to boot into Vidon with the A10, LOL. On that note, I think the LED display on the A10 isn't as obnoxious as the A5, and it doesn't have the brightly lit Egreat logo on top.

The Dune interface is much much more polished than the A5 and it can be very comprehensively skinned which is important to me.

However I can boot the A5 into Vidon and I can comprehensively skin that too but Vidon is abandonware which relies on cloud access, so you have to question longevity.

I tend to watch movies rather than test patterns so subjectively I've not noticed any huge difference in picture quality but the Egreat seems to have a very slight edge.

Where the Egreat beats the Dune at the moment is in HDR>SDR conversion which is important to me as I have an early Samsung 4K TV and JVC projector that don't do HDR properly. The Egreat conversion is to my eyes, excellent.

However, it's early days for the Dune and once image bugs are ironed out I expect to be using that exclusively because of the interface, the firmware support and the fact I can use third party jukebox software (yaDis) as I prefer to maintain my own movie database. And I know that yaDis is abandonware too, but you can use manual entry if needed.

What I particularly like about the Dune is that they have spent a huge amount of effort in porting their Linux shell to Android which is no mean feat and you can completely hide the Android interface if you want.
post #418 of 456 Old 05-07-2018, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently there are still people who haven't heard about LightDims They can solve virtually any bright LED issues and even come in big sheets you can cut to any size.

When I originally posted I very nearly made a comment about LightDims, but I decided not to as I assume most people have heard of them, and besides if you've got the box open and have some gel to hand you don't have to wait for Amazon to deliver and don't have to have a sticker on the outside of your box.

And it's free

(yes I know LightDims are only a few quid! )
post #419 of 456 Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
markswift2003;
I don't know what's with the Chinese, they can't seem to get the light output of these displays and/or indicator lights right. They are either way to bright, or you can't see them at all.

That's one sloppy soldering and/or glue job (whatever that stuff is) for the front panel display to the board. Considering what they want to sell these for, this should be in a much lower league. I thought that white adhesive that is used in the Zidoo was bad enough.
Did you take any pics of the business side of that board?

I actually couldn't believe it when I first switched the thing on and it lit the room up and was equally flabbergasted when there was no option to turn it off!

That glue job looks worse in the pics than it actually is.

I did pull the board out to make sure the light cable didn't go anywhere else, but sorry, didn't take any pics.
post #420 of 456 Old 05-07-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah - actually there is one huge problem I have with the Egreat!

It won't work with my amp projector combo!

It's an issue I had previously with a Denon 7200 and JVC X7000 - whatever I did, I could not get a picture at 4K on screen. I figured it was just an amp compatibility thing which is when I ditched the Egreat.

If I bypassed the Denon and plug straight into the projector, it works, but obviously not a solution (except for silent films ).

However, I recently changed the 7200 for an 8500 so I figured that might change the situation, but it doesn't! No picture at 4K from the Egreat.

And bizarrely, the 7200 has been installed in the Den connected to a 60" Sammy and the Egreat works fine in there, so it's not an amp thing.

So it's not the amp or the projector individually, it must be the combination of the two but I have no idea why! It's the first bit of kit that's ever done this - I have a Dune 4K Solo, a Dune 4K Pro, an Nvidia Shield, a Zappiti 4K and all throw a 4K image fine. Very odd.
But unless I can find a solution, this makes the Egreat a doorstop.

I could reconnect the LED and use it for mood lighting....

Last edited by markswift2003; 05-07-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page