Egreat A5 & A10 3D/4K HDR w/BD MENU - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #121 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
@EAGLE-1

Seriously buy an outaded Dune 4k that does not do HDR nor has android like these new boxes, nor has real support VS egreat or other recent boxes ?!
and yes the unit has 4k menu support since may 2017...

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi, I'm interested in this player but I have some questions. From what I gathered reading this forum is that egreat has some players

1) Egreat player (I'm under the impression this player is less problematic)
2) Vidon XBMC
3) Kodi (downloaded via google)

My question is that can the Egreat player support full bd menu? Thanks.
post #123 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just got my a10. Wow if this thing plays as good as it looks I'll be very happy. Love the brushed metal look, and all the connections in the rear looks like a very well made player.

I see I have a free port in the switch I have in my stereo cabinet and I found a 7' cat 6 network cable. I'm going to run this wired so I probably won't bother installing the antennae.
Don't have a 4k receiver so I'll plug diectly into my TCL.

Actually pretty tired from work so I'll probably wait till tomorrow or maybe Saturday to really try out the a10. I'm assuming I have to update it. Anyway I'm really pleased so far and will post my thoughts when I get it running.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
@EAGLE-1

Seriously buy an outaded Dune 4k that does not do HDR nor has android like these new boxes, nor has real support VS egreat or other recent boxes ?!
and yes the unit has 4k menu support since may 2017...
SOrry about that nenito2k,you are totally right,the best option is the A10,hope can get mine very soon !! thanks
post #125 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

@raif71 :

did you read this thread ? does not seem so ! Egreat can do Menu bluray and even menu 4k BD in vidon and in it own player since long ago !

@dbrons cool...new FW should be out in 24h or early next week also !

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #126 of 456 Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
@raif71 :

did you read this thread ? does not seem so ! Egreat can do Menu bluray and even menu 4k BD in vidon and in it own player since long ago !

@dbrons cool...new FW should be out in 24h or early next week also !
I'm sorry nenito2k. I was really confused. I thought only the vidon player support bd menu and that the internal egreat player did not support it even though it can handle bdmv/bd-iso format. Thank you for clearing that up. I don't mind the jukebox interface. As long as the internal egreat player can support bd-menu, this is fine for me.
post #127 of 456 Old 07-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my A10 too.

Great looking device. Haven't done much testing yet, however, it seems to be a little slow in the interface.

I'll play around a bit and share my thoughts...
post #128 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

welcome too @depmesh ! was it this topic that made you get the device or did you already know about it. official Update will be out in a few hours !
kemac and raf77 like this.

post #129 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
@olivierqc , i see that you have the Egreat, the HiMedia, and the zidoo.

Do you think there is any difference in the image quality of these players?
post #130 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
@olivierqc , i see that you have the Egreat, the HiMedia, and the zidoo.

Do you think there is any difference in the image quality of these players?
Hello neo_2009,

Out of box :

This is the zidoo in a first place and after the Egreat.

But a few months ago I made a small comparison (french language) with the 2 boxes (zidoo and Egreat) plugged on my receiver, and i used some MKV/ISO movies.

Sharpness :

the Zidoo is more sharper than the egreat without touching any parameters but there is a lot of video noise, as if there was a processing of the image (sharpness).

On the Egreat no video noise and the picture is softer, this allows me to increase the sharpness of my TV.

I can not increase the sharpness of the zidoo without having video noise too visible on the TV.

Finally the 2 boxes are equivalent about the sharpness.

Color :

i use the first minutes of Deepwater when we are under water and the titanic when you see the 2 submarines descending into the dark waters.

The zidoo is much better and you have to make adjustments (color/contrast) to have an equivalent with the Egreat.

there is like color banding with the Egreat that I do not have on the zidoo, i have to make adjustments in the options of the Egreat
to have a similar image.

My comparison in french (use google translate )

[I][COLOR="Gray"]''Samedi soir j'ai fais quelques essais / tests en passant d'un boitier a l'autre ( les 2 sont branchés sur l'ampli) et en essayant differents reglages sur les meme images de films (deepwater iso, jurassic world iso, gardiens de la galaxie mkv, titanic mkv remux).

Et maintenant je dirai que les deux ont une image comparable, de base le zidoo est meilleur, mais entre nous je pense qu'il y a un traitement de l'image faite sur le zidoo deja je peux pas monter la nettete de la tv car le bruit video est deja pas mal present de base sur le zidoo contrairement au Egreat qui en a pas du tout.

Le probleme du Egreat ( et himedia) sur ma tv a moi et avec les reglages de Nicolas de HDFever sont sur certains fond unis comme les premieres secondes de deepwater dans l'eau le degradé est moche tout comme dans Titanic quand les sous marin descendent avec le halo lumineux des projos et le degradé est la aussi pas jolie dans mon cas.

j'ai coupé completement le express engine V2, tout sur OFF sans exception.

j'ai mis display ''sport'' si je me souviens bien. (pas theater, ni standard)

j'ai ajusté le contraste (augmentation 88 a 98), la couleur (augmentation entre 57/60 au lieu de 50) et la netteté (augmentation de 50 a 60 aucun soucis de bruit video) de la TV jusqu'a m'approché de l'image du Zidoo et j'y suis arrivé apres quelques essais/reglages.

Et pour repondre a ta question :

Pour moi les 2 sont equivalente a present.

see you
Olivier
neo_2009 likes this.

Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Apple TV 4K, zidoo X20PRO.

Last edited by olivierqc; 07-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.
post #131 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
I currently have a Dune HD SOlo 4K and a nVidia Shield 2017. The Dune as I really like full menu support and the Shield for 4K HDR.

Looking at this player it seems it would do both. Would you recommend the Egreat A5 (or A10) as a one stop box to replace what I use now?

What is the difference between the A5 and A10? Just ability to add a HDD?

Thanks

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #132 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Oliver, thank you very much for your response.

I've actually initially bought an egreat from Amazon UK, but then canceled my order when i found and bought the Zidoo X8, as it was way cheaper.
I only received it a few days ago, but i'm liking it very much so far.
The UI is very fast, i only use the native player and play everything through the Media explorer, and it plays everything very well.

@blenky , i've had a Popcorn VTEN, and i find the Zidoo much better:

- Much faster
- Better UI
- Subtitle download works much better
- It plays Jellyfish 250MB/HEVC/10 Bits/6.1 without a glitch, so as UHD specs a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbps, its future-proof

Picture quality i think VTEN has a slight edge on low res files (HDTV rips, etc), but on BR full rips i cannot see any difference in PQ.
post #133 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 10:58 AM

hello neo_2009,

I have just updated my review with the new fw 1.4.6 on the forum zidoo

You can read it if you want

see you
neo_2009 likes this.

post #134 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I currently have a Dune HD SOlo 4K and a nVidia Shield 2017. The Dune as I really like full menu support and the Shield for 4K HDR.

Looking at this player it seems it would do both. Would you recommend the Egreat A5 (or A10) as a one stop box to replace what I use now?

What is the difference between the A5 and A10? Just ability to add a HDD?

Thanks
I have both the Zidoo and Egreat and they both have minor issue, but looking your already have the Dune HD Solo I will suggest to get Egreat A5/A10 which is a little much better than the Zidoo.
post #135 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
I have both the Zidoo and Egreat and they both have minor issue, but looking your already have the Dune HD Solo I will suggest to get Egreat A5/A10 which is a little much better than the Zidoo.
As the Egreat has full blu-ray menu support and 4K HDR I was wondering if its good enough to replace both my Dune HD Solo AND my Nvidia Shield TV?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #136 of 456 Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As the Egreat has full blu-ray menu support and 4K HDR I was wondering if its good enough to replace both my Dune HD Solo AND my Nvidia Shield TV?
There is only one issue i see with the Egreat that will be fixed in their next update , is the aspect ratio for HDR files beside that the Egreat is a great device.
post #137 of 456 Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

@blenky

get the A5, A10 not worth the premium IMO
raif71 likes this.

post #138 of 456 Old 07-16-2017, 10:29 AM

I posted these initial thoughts on my A10 on the Egreat forum and I'll copy themn here
---------------

Well I've had the time to set up the new A10 and to try it out some. I had to buy a new gigabit switch as I was down to one port and it was an older 5 port model. Also bought a nice 10' hdmi cable from Amazon. The A10 comes with a cable but too short to reach for my set up.

So, I'm just now getting going and have not yet had the chance to try an ISO but I will say I'm very pleased with the A10. I don't think the A10 comes with batteries for the remote. That's fine with me cause I have lots but if you don't, it will require 2 AAAs. I was able to easily set up the A10 as an activity on my Harmony One remote. It has the egreat in their database.

I had a little trouble setting up the networking but when I went to Vidon, it immediately saw all my shared folders. I then went back and realized I had the incorrect IP address for my computer, fixed that and entered one of my shares and it worked and automatically set up the posters for the movies. Wow, I had lots of trouble getting a jukebox, Zappiti, to work with my Dune B1, and some difficulty setting up YAMJ on my Mede8er. This A10 is much more user friendly Oh, I actually did better using my Harmony remote in part because I couldn't figure out how to spell out the names of my folders using the egreat, I just got numbers rather than letters. I'm sure I'll figure that out.

The UHD I've sampled so far plays well and looks great on my TCL 55p460. So far I've just sampled an MKV of The Inferno and it looks very nice and plays great. I'll watch the movie later today. I also watched some Sony trailers I downloaded also MKV buit they stutter. I read someone mentioned that so I suspect bad files. I'll have an ISO of La La Land UHD and HDR to try hopefully later today.

So, yes, I really like this A10!
Dave
blenky likes this.

Last edited by dbrons; 07-17-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #139 of 456 Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post
I posted these initial thoughts on my A10 on the Egreat forum and I'll copy themn here
---------------

The UHD I've sampled so far plays well and looks great on my TCL 55p460. So far I've just sampled an MKV of The Inferno and it looks very nice anplays great. I'll watch rthe movie later today. I also watched some Sony trailers I downloaded also MKV buit they stutter. I read someone mentioned that so I suspect bad files. I'll have an ISO of La La Land UHD and HDR to try hopefully later today.

So, yes, I really like this A10!
Dave
Do does the Egreat play UHD structure? Interested to see how it performed with the La La Land UHD ISO.

Does it play ISO\BDMV bluray menus as well as Dune?

Ta

post #140 of 456 Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a test file that's 4K+HDR and played it on the A5 today. There's a part where the sun's shown and there was a lot of grain/distortion in the sun. I went and tested the same part on the Shield, and it looked perfectly fine. I then set the Shield to 1080p and played the same file (to see what it would look like with my TV up scaling) and the grain/distortion in the sun was back again. Makes me wonder if the A5 is actually playing the 4K files and not playing them at 1080p. And yes, I did make sure all my settings on the A5 were set to 4K and it said it was displaying at 4K. Also I'm on the most recent firmware.

This box is extremely disappointing with a lot of different issues.
post #141 of 456 Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Do does the Egreat play UHD structure? Interested to see how it performed with the La La Land UHD ISO.

Ta
It plays 4k mkv very nicely I have a few demo files that look good but I'm trying to get that ISO of La La land, Actually have the archive but can't unpack it at the moment.
Anyway the A10 seems to play regular BD ISO menus flawlessly. I'd say better than my Dune B1 because the Dune chokes on some of the newer movie menus and I tried about 5 newer ISOs on the A10 and they all worked .

Dave
post #142 of 456 Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Ta
Hello blenky,

Look at my review and you will have answers, i have an update of my review with the last FW from this message,
if I remember correctly

http://en.egreatworld.com/comunity/i...472/#post-3567

see you
OlivierQC
blenky likes this.

post #143 of 456 Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstephens24 View Post
I have a test file that's 4K+HDR and played it on the A5 today. There's a part where the sun's shown and there was a lot of grain/distortion in the sun. I went and tested the same part on the Shield, and it looked perfectly fine. I then set the Shield to 1080p and played the same file (to see what it would look like with my TV up scaling) and the grain/distortion in the sun was back again. Makes me wonder if the A5 is actually playing the 4K files and not playing them at 1080p. And yes, I did make sure all my settings on the A5 were set to 4K and it said it was displaying at 4K. Also I'm on the most recent firmware.

This box is extremely disappointing with a lot of different issues.
Interesting, you are going to make buy the shield just to comparison

Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?
post #144 of 456 Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierqc View Post
Hello blenky,

Look at my review and you will have answers, i have an update of my review with the last FW from this message,
if I remember correctly

http://en.egreatworld.com/comunity/i...472/#post-3567

see you
OlivierQC
Thanks for the link. I read in page 2 of that site that some user (Xavier Roy-Bots) mentioning that he had problems playing 3D BD ISO using the Egreat player (no problems with vidon). My question is, has this been fixed ie can the "Egreat player" play 3D BD ISO?
post #145 of 456 Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes.
post #146 of 456 Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM

I just did the recovery on the most recent firmware released today just to make sure everything was set correctly. I then went into settings and changed the resolution to 4K UHD @ 60Hz with YCrCb 420 10bit. I left HDR mode on Auto and then Ajust Display Frequency to On.

I scanned in my 4K test files with the Video app, and then played my test file for "The Huntsman: Winter's War" that's HEVC with HDR and DTS:X. I waited until the posters were loaded to play it, in case anything there could have an impact. My TV correctly switched to HDR and my AVR showed that I was getting 4K Half ([email protected]) and that it was correctly playing DTS:X. My TV also said it was playing 4K with HDR and BT.2020. While playing the movie, there were some issues with audio going out of sync and the video jumping. It wasn't smooth playback.

When I stopped the playback I looked and the player was not set to the correct 'Deep color' settings and it had reverted to RGB444 8Bit.' I went back and played the same test file and my TV shows 4K/HDR/BT.2020 with the AVR playing DTS:X. I skipped to the second chapter and after played a second paused (time stamp 6:28) and there's a lot of artifacts (really easy to see in the sun in this scene)) which shows that it's only playing in 8-bit and not 10-bit like it should. I also went into the 'Image Engine' -> 'Imprex Engine' and tried turning everything off but it wouldn't let me because it was HDR. I really hope that stuff isn't turned on.

I then loaded in my BluRay rips that I have (all 1-1 copies of the movie into a MKV). I played my copy of 'The Huntsman: Winter's War" (1080p rip) with the resolution of the A5 set to 4K UHD @ 60Hz w/ RGB444 8Bit. I jumped to chapter two and didn't see any artifacts or anything in the sun. I let it play for awhile and still had occasional issues with the audio dropping out for a second then coming back (about once every few minutes) with the video jerking sporadically as well. It wasn't smooth and the audio didn't stay in sync, so playback of a full movie would be unacceptable.

Since I wasn't playing it back in native resolution, I went back to the settings and changed the display to 1080p @ 60Hz with the Deep Color set to YCbCr 444 8Bit, then went back and played the same BluRay rip. I still couldn't change the 'Image Engine' -> 'Imprex Engine' stuff because it told me the mode was HDR and not SDR, but I was playing a SDR bluray. Playback was again not smooth. There were a lot of times where the video would freeze a little then play catch up. The audio would constantly get out of sync as well.

Basically all that to say I can't use this to watch anything because of all of the above issues. This box is currently worthless, and I would recommend everyone stay away.
WMConey likes this.
post #147 of 456 Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

STABLE update is out !

III.Changelog

1.2.3.0 + 2.1.19

Player: Exclusive support 4KUHD blu-ray full menu
Player: Added online subtitle function
Player: Added multichannel LPCM audiotrack RAW passthrough
Player: Optimized of open source slow response problems
Player: Subtitles time offset deviation set to +-200 seconds
Player: Always display 3D options when playing
Player: Fixed the audio stream displayed as 0Kbps
Player: Fixed the color space will change the problem
Player: Fixed the LPCM audio track caton problems on full menu mode playback
Player: Repair LPCM 5.1 may issue of noise
Player: Fixed the problem that online app could not play after playing HDR video
UI: Volume adjustment level added to 100
UI: Added homepage shortcut bar can be customized function
UI: Added six background pictures
UI: Added custom background picture function
UI: Added the first screen is still for 30 seconds to automatically reduce brightness
UI: LED display indicates the new marquee screen save
UI: Optimized screen saver(now completely shut down video output)
UI: Added new way to add shared paths in all files
Setting: Add more preferred track subtitle language
Settings: Added TRANSMISSION function switch in the general menu
Settings: Optimized "UHD" will be changed to "4K UHD" in the resolution menu
Settings: Added acceptable beta version update function
Posterwall: New version Posterwall 2.0 updated added a lot of new features
Posterwall: Added cross storage library function
Posterwall: Added library path custom name
Posterwall: Added favorite function
Posterwall: Added Collection and Series classification
Posterwall: Added direct delete file function in the poster wall
Posterwall: Added film suit editing function
Posterwall: The poster wall and File Browser Integration
Posterwall: Support subfolders to join the library
Poster-wall: Optimized filename display
Poster-wall: Fixed the wrong episodes of an unknown series
System: Built-in transmission download tools
System: Built-in applications now allowed to uninstall
System: Eliminate redundant built-in applications
System: Fixed some machines that do not enter standby problems after power on
System: Fixed will automatically switch off after the problem
System: Fixed the problem that the third-party app display some Chinese
System: optimize multiple system parameters
System: Fixed the problem that the player assistant is Chinese

post #148 of 456 Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstephens24 View Post
Basically all that to say I can't use this to watch anything because of all of the above issues. This box is currently worthless, and I would recommend everyone stay away.
Does the latest firmware make a difference?

post #149 of 456 Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the information nenito2k

And ''the network path doesn't disappear, that's solved'' according to Jozsef Horogh.

I will make a review of ''POSTER V2.0''

see you

post #150 of 456 Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Does the latest firmware make a difference?
I answered that in the very first sentence. I used the release firmware that was put out today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page