Fantastic Beasts with 3D and Atmos Attempt (blu-ray quality) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #61 of 200 Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
no problem, I'm glad it worked. I'm using these discs, about $2 a piece. never burned a bad one so they are good media.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-...dp/B0056DV0L4/

I'm using Imageburn and just burning the ISO to BD, no other software changes. The UB900 saw the disc and just started playing the movie in 3D.

http://www.imgburn.com/
Perfect thanks zombie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 200 Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Thank you. I have been trying to mux it in BD ISO, but without much success, as the atmos audio does not seem to work. I may try to reverse engineer the mkv file, you described above to m2ts, and see if that works.

For a 3D MKV file to run, would a Windows 10 laptop with HDMI port work, if run using latest Kodi? I think my laptops have HDMI 1.4. Is there anything else to make sure of? Thanks again.
I bought PowerDVD 16 to play 3D blu-rays, and it also plays MVC MKV files. I use it as an external player for Emby.
SuperFist likes this.
post #63 of 200 Old 10-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've read through this thread as well as the Gravity-thread mentioned in the first post, and I'm really sorry if I have missed it, but could someone please explain to me, or point me to any existing explanation:

- If putting Atmos sound on a 3D version is perfectly doable and not a question of insufficient space on a Blu-ray disc, what is it the studios gain by putting different sound formats on the two separate discs in a 2D/3D combo release?

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // XBox One S & PS3
Sound: Yamaha RX-A820 (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 200 Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
I've read through this thread as well as the Gravity-thread mentioned in the first post, and I'm really sorry if I have missed it, but could someone please explain to me, or point me to any existing explanation:

- If putting Atmos sound on a 3D version is perfectly doable and not a question of insufficient space on a Blu-ray disc, what is it the studios gain by putting different sound formats on the two separate discs in a 2D/3D combo release?
You know....I just thought of a potential answer to that question! Certain players can't process 3D with TrueHD, much less Atmos. The PS3 for example (which, I would hazard a guess is still a popular blu-ray player). Putting DTS-MA on the 3D discs ensures that everyone at least gets a lossless audio format (and maybe both WOULD be too much space.)
SuperFist likes this.
post #65 of 200 Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sounds reasonable, actually.

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // XBox One S & PS3
Sound: Yamaha RX-A820 (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
post #66 of 200 Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Anyone tried just remuxing to AVCHD format, so no recompression etc needed? I've done remuxing on standard BR to AVCHD (to add subtitles) but have never tried with 3D and am wondering if it might work.

If you remux to mkv, are you getting the full resolution, or does it drop to half or quarter res with side by side etc format?
post #67 of 200 Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Anyone tried just remuxing to AVCHD format, so no recompression etc needed? I've done remuxing on standard BR to AVCHD (to add subtitles) but have never tried with 3D and am wondering if it might work.

If you remux to mkv, are you getting the full resolution, or does it drop to half or quarter res with side by side etc format?
Never tried AVCHD. However, remuxing to mkv keeps the full resolution and frame sequential 3d playback (I think that's the correct term "frame sequential"--same as on a 3d blu ray).

BTW, don't know if you all noticed that about 70 of the encryption keys for UHD hit the web the other day and apparently to rip the 4k discs with makemkv & those keys you only need a "4k friendly drive", not an actual AASC 2.0 UHD drive. https://www.myce.com/news/list-72-aa...nternet-83205/ I just got my 4k friendly ASUS bd drive today and will be testing this out later to see if any of the methods so far will work for remuxing the uhd atmos tracks with the 3d bd video tracks.

BTW#2, anybody notice that the 3d file for Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 is a whopping 48GB?! Also, after getting a 4k HDR tv and watching the 4K version of Guardians 2, I'm fairly split on which one is "better." Maybe that's because my 3d projector setup doesn't have the best image quality aside from having amazing 3D, but man, if there's a movie to watch so that you can see what 4K HDR (with the wide color gamut) can do--it's Guardians 2. The only time I really missed the 3D was during the arrow escape sequence. Granted, that could be one of the best 3D scenes of all time, so it's understandable.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #68 of 200 Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, knew I had something else to ask (and I might make an actual thread for this), but has anyone tried ripping the UK 3D BD of Valerian and the City of a 1,000 Planets? I got the steelbook version and it won't rip. I get an error about 90% of the way through and makemkv says it's "definitely" a disc/drive error. This wouldn't be the first time I've had that happen but it is extremely rare for a disc to give me an error during ripping. And considering this is a new movie there could be some other issue. Haven't tried playing the disc normally yet--I'd actually have to pull my dual hdmi output 3D bluray player out of the basement to do that.
post #69 of 200 Old 12-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Oh, knew I had something else to ask (and I might make an actual thread for this), but has anyone tried ripping the UK 3D BD of Valerian and the City of a 1,000 Planets? I got the steelbook version and it won't rip. I get an error about 90% of the way through and makemkv says it's "definitely" a disc/drive error. This wouldn't be the first time I've had that happen but it is extremely rare for a disc to give me an error during ripping. And considering this is a new movie there could be some other issue. Haven't tried playing the disc normally yet--I'd actually have to pull my dual hdmi output 3D bluray player out of the basement to do that.

I have the steelbook version, 2D and 3D blurays ripped fine, no errors, no weirdness. Maybe you have a faulty 3d disk?

Home Cinema, JVC X7000,3.3m Cinemascope Beamax, Vertex.Yamaha 3050, Quad 606, Apple TV 4k, MadVR & Kodi HTPC.
Monitor Audio Silver 8, Silver C350, Silver 1's, Mass 10 for ATMOS, Minidsp 2x4HD, BK Monolith.
Lots of velvet and mineral wool.
post #70 of 200 Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
I have the steelbook version, 2D and 3D blurays ripped fine, no errors, no weirdness. Maybe you have a faulty 3d disk?
Damn, yeah that does probably mean I do have a faulty disc. Guess I should actually watch this thing before I decide that I want to get another copy.
post #71 of 200 Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
I'd always try a different drive/player. Sure there might be some underlying fault on the disc, but a different unit may handle it. I've done this before. And another reason I won't touch oppo again...
post #72 of 200 Old 12-17-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Currently remuxing the Deadpool UHD ATMOS track with the BD video file (don't have a 3D option to test).... is looking promising.

FYI, the Deadpool UHD file played quite surprisingly without a single glitch or hiccup on my Zappiti mini 4k hdr player through my 1080p Optoma DLP. Well, it's currently daylight so I couldn't tell if black levels were what they were supposed to be. HDR's probably going to be the trickier element for downcoverting 4k discs, I'd imagine.

Last edited by javanpohl; 12-17-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #73 of 200 Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I'd always try a different drive/player. Sure there might be some underlying fault on the disc, but a different unit may handle it. I've done this before. And another reason I won't touch oppo again...
You know, I was about to say "I already tried a different drive", but then it occurred to me that I may have tried a different drive but it's the same exact model. I'll try on this ASUS drive that I just got for the UHD discs.
post #74 of 200 Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BOOM!! Re-muxing success!!! Deadpool UHD Atmos track went joyfully with the 1080 video track and works gloriously. No lip sync issues. After looking at this file vs the full 4K file, colors and brightness are definitely muted on viewing the UHD file (probably due to the down-coverting for my 1080p TV.) I'll try playing it on my 4k tv to see if it's the same quality as the disc.

BOOM #2 !!! Valerian ripped in the ASUS drive!! I am having one successful morning!!

Edit: I just want to recognize the occasional cruelness of fate in that, shortly after posting this, I moved my Freenas server, that I had just gotten fully configured and all my movies copied to, to its permanent location and experienced a bootdisc failure. Currently hoping that I can recover the config files to restore my volumes that have the movies on them.

... le sigh.

Last edited by javanpohl; 12-18-2017 at 05:09 PM.
post #75 of 200 Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #76 of 200 Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
remuxing to mkv keeps the full resolution and frame sequential 3d playback (I think that's the correct term "frame sequential"--same as on a 3d blu ray).
Close, but not quite. The left and right streams are stored on the disc in separate files, and then the format that the player puts into as it's sent over the HDMI is framepacked, which basically means it's a super tall frame, which both right and left images in it, that the TV decodes into left and right streams again. Kind of like Side-By-Side, but vertical (top and bottom) and not reduced by 50% to fit in an originally sized frame.

But yeah, the MKV can store both the left and right streams, so they are not resolution reduced to fit.

Frame sequential is when they use a single regular frame, but every other frame is for the other eye. It can either be sent at higher speeds, so that each stream is delivered at full frame rate, or at the original frame rate, with each eye getting half. That's kind of what your active 3D display does in the end, but Blu Rays aren't made that way. Some DVDs and even VHS tapes worked that way. The TV was none the wiser, since it just played the regular sized frame at the regular rate. It was up to the glasses to sort it out.

EDIT: Technically, the DVDs and VHS I'm thinking of were field sequential. Meaning the odd lines of a single "frame" were for one eye and the even lines were for the other. That way each eye gets half of the vertical resolution, but at the full frame rate. Still the TVs were none the wiser.
SuperFist likes this.

Last edited by xhonzi; 12-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #77 of 200 Old 12-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I tried this with the latest Pirates movies, and ended up burning a few coasters. The burned discs play fine on my PC (in 2D and downmixed to stereo, but presumably from the 3D and Atmos tracks) but my players refuse to play them.

Well, they don't refuse, they just play a black screen and stay on 0:00:00.

I thought maybe I needed the CERTIFICATEs copied over, as was specified in the Gravity thread, but that just ended up in another coaster.

My process was more or less based off the Gravity thread, but involved:

Backing up discs with MakeMKV, identifying Playlist 00800 as the right one with BDInfo, using txMuxeR to combine the 3D disc (minus the DTS audio) with the Atmos track, and creating a Blu Ray folder with it, then burning with ImgBurn (to media that are known to work great).

EDIT- DON'T build BD folder with tsMuxeR! It was the source of at least some of my problems! Only build BD ISO.

After the burn, my Leawo Blu Ray software immediately started playing the disc. But my two Sony 3D BD players would just show the black screen. They are known to play other burned discs just fine.

Any idea where I went wrong? I wonder if I clicked that 'Use base video stream for right eye' option in tsMuxeR... would that result in this behavior?

BDInfo doesn't show two video streams (this is analyzing the disc I burned):

But tsMuxeR does:

EDIT: I tsmux'ed again, ensuring I didn't select the right eye option. BDInfo is still telling me I only have one stream there.

EDIT2: Hmmm... used tsMuxeR's BD ISO mode instead of BD folder mode, and now I show 2 streams. Time to burn again.
MOberhardt and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by xhonzi; 12-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #78 of 200 Old 12-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Spoiler!

In TsMuxer, when you are on H264 codec, make sure that under the "General track Options", none of the options are selected. Most likely than not, you will notice a default tick mark on "Continually insert SPS/PPS". Deselect that also.
Go to the MVC codec. Here too make sure none of the options are selected.

Note that you can mux the 3D video as an M2TS file. Most newer 3D Blu-ray players will play 3D Blu-rays through USB drives that are muxed in m2ts format. All you have to do is make sure that you move the track with the H264 stream to the very top by pressing the up button and place the MVC track to just beneath the H264 stream.
And oh yes, make sure you deselect all options under "General Track options" for both the H264 and MVC tracks.

Good luck!
post #79 of 200 Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I'll have to check on your suggestions.

It seems that building ISO in tsMuxeR instead of folder made a huge difference. As I mentioned above, BDInfo showed the correct video streams in the ISO when it didn't in the folder.

And the burned ISO works great!

So... I went ahead and muxed the Atmos track for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and BDInfo confirmed that it was correct. The burn looked great, and the first half of the movie plays and sounds great.

...but...

It seems that it has severe playback issues when it switches to the second layer. Skipping to a chapter after about 50% of the runtime causes my players to freeze up... which might eventually be solved by repeatedly pressing play. But it only plays about 10 seconds before stuttering or freezing again.

So I'm not sure if that's a problem with the ISO or the particular burn of it. Maybe I need to check the options mentioned by 'Hellohowareyou'.
post #80 of 200 Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post
Thanks, I'll have to check on your suggestions.

It seems that building ISO in tsMuxeR instead of folder made a huge difference. As I mentioned above, BDInfo showed the correct video streams in the ISO when it didn't in the folder.

And the burned ISO works great!

So... I went ahead and muxed the Atmos track for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and BDInfo confirmed that it was correct. The burn looked great, and the first half of the movie plays and sounds great.

...but...

It seems that it has severe playback issues when it switches to the second layer. Skipping to a chapter after about 50% of the runtime causes my players to freeze up... which might eventually be solved by repeatedly pressing play. But it only plays about 10 seconds before stuttering or freezing again.

So I'm not sure if that's a problem with the ISO or the particular burn of it. Maybe I need to check the options mentioned by 'Hellohowareyou'.
I am pretty sure what you are seeing is because of a "bad" disc. One of the reasons why I am giving up on burning to a disc, and instead just saving m2ts files to a networked hard drive. I am not sure what kind of burning software you are using, but Imgburn "verify" catches a lot of these problem transfers because of a bad/defective disc. And truth be told, bad burns/discs are actually common, as I found out first hand. That, plus the excruciatingly long burn period forced me to switch to just m2ts files saved on a USB hard drive. If you have one of those android boxes, you can even rip the original in mkv format directly with makemkv and jump a lot of steps. However, for most Blu-ray disc players, if you have atmos audio track, the m2ts format is the only way. Try my previously stated method, and I can bet it will work.

Just put the h264 track on the very top of the list and deselect all options. Put the MVC track just underneath the h264 track (2nd on the list), and again deselect all options. Keep other tracks as is, and mux the file in M2TS format.
SuperFist likes this.
post #81 of 200 Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

I'm kind of hoping it was just a bad disc... but I also hope it's a problem I can actually solve. :/

I haven't decided to give up on physical media yet... but I'll keep your recommendations in mind.
post #82 of 200 Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Here's my next quandry...

I want to add the BDMV\META directory to my ISOs, so that they have a real title and thumbnail image. Seems simple enough...

Since I determined tsMuxeR couldn't build successful BD Folders- I have to build an ISO. But I don't think there's a tool for adding a few files to an ISO without unpacking the whole thing.

So I mount the ISO and copy the files to my HDD... but the ~48 GB ISO turns into ~95 GB of disk space, because the SSIF symlink gets copied out as an additional file... So that's not good.

(come to think of it, the mishandling of SSIF is probably why the BD Folder option doesn't work in tsMuxeR)

Any ideas?

Last edited by xhonzi; 12-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #83 of 200 Old 01-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post
Here's my next quandry...

I want to add the BDMV\META directory to my ISOs, so that they have a real title and thumbnail image. Seems simple enough...

Any ideas?
Okay, I got this to work too, but it's dumb.

Requires DVDFab Virtual Drive and ImgBurn or equivalents

tsmuxer build the BD folder (I know I said not to do this, but it will be fine! This folder won't have the required SSIF files, but they get built later on)
Copy over the META or whatever files you want to add to your new folder
Right click Virtual Drive icon and click "Create miniso file" (this will mount a virtual disk with your folder content) (this virtual disk will have the recreated SSIF file(s))
Use Imgburn to create an ISO of the virtual disk
Use Imgburn to set a good volume label (if you don't like the one you picked up along the way)
Delete the temp directory
MOberhardt and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by xhonzi; 08-20-2018 at 08:24 AM.
post #84 of 200 Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had had any success or tried yet to mux Blade Runnner 2049 3D blu-ray with the Atmos track from the 2D Blu-ray version?

Cheers

Sean
post #85 of 200 Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanUK View Post
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had had any success or tried yet to mux Blade Runnner 2049 3D blu-ray with the Atmos track from the 2D Blu-ray version?

Cheers

Sean
Yes, It worked fine for me... used MakeMKV and remuxed with MKVtoolnix and streamed with a Mede8er 600x3d player. Only issue for me was IMO, the lackluster 3D for this title. And I am a big fan of 3D.. but I ended up just preferring the 2D version much better for this title.
SuperFist and SeanUK like this.
post #86 of 200 Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 81
These techniques also allow one to mux an Atmos track from the UHD disc into the HD video file. Handy if you’re not yet upgraded to 4K but are buying 4K releases.
SuperFist likes this.
post #87 of 200 Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanUK View Post
Hi Guys,

Cheers

Sean
Worked for me also.

Playing back through Windows 10 Kodi launching MPC-HC external player running Mad VR and LAV filters.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - SVS PB12-NSD 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #88 of 200 Old 04-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

I have a weird one for you guys. I did the combo on Kong Skull Island, same as I have done on all my discs. The 3D is apparently messed up on my disc version but not the MKV. When I watch the disc the 3D i believe is reversed, it looks like foreground stuff is being pushed back and the background pulled forward. Would the eyes being reversed do that? When I watch the MKV through my PC everything is fine, its the same file i used to make the ISO. I thought it may be my oppo but I tried it on an old samsung player as well and the issue was the same.
Edit: There is an option in TSMUXER to use base video stream for right eye, might try this but was curious if anyone has had this issue before I did it, those discs aint cheap!

Last edited by grendelrt; 04-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #89 of 200 Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I have a weird one for you guys. I did the combo on Kong Skull Island, same as I have done on all my discs. The 3D is apparently messed up on my disc version but not the MKV. When I watch the disc the 3D i believe is reversed, it looks like foreground stuff is being pushed back and the background pulled forward. Would the eyes being reversed do that? When I watch the MKV through my PC everything is fine, its the same file i used to make the ISO. I thought it may be my oppo but I tried it on an old samsung player as well and the issue was the same.
Uhhh, ya...that is weird....because on that title, the views are indeed switched on the 3D disc.... it is a right eye first title. But, playing the 3D disc on a normal bluray player should result with it being shown correctly.... the bluray player will recognize it and switch it for you.

But with my MKV ripped version with the Atmos soundtrack muxed in, I have to manually switch the views on my old Mede8er player.

Just to be clear, when you say your "disc" version, are you referring to the actual purchased disc, or a burned version on BD-R?
post #90 of 200 Old 04-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Uhhh, ya...that is weird....because on that title, the views are indeed switched on the 3D disc.... it is a right eye first title. But, playing the 3D disc on a normal bluray player should result with it being shown correctly.... the bluray player will recognize it and switch it for you.

But with my MKV ripped version with the Atmos soundtrack muxed in, I have to manually switch the views on my old Mede8er player.

Just to be clear, when you say your "disc" version, are you referring to the actual purchased disc, or a burned version on BD-R?
Disc meaning the new BD-R I burned after muxing Atmos and 3D. I will have to check my player if there is option to switch eyes, but would prefer to correct the disc if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page