AVS Forum banner

Fantastic Beasts with 3D and Atmos Attempt (blu-ray quality)

55K views 200 replies 33 participants last post by  n00b2 
#1 · (Edited)
If you're looking for UHD 4K Makemkv (redfox might also apply) ripping, go here:

The process for remuxing 4K UHD Atmos tracks with 3D blu-ray video tracks is the same as it is described here.

So as we did with Gravity here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1939705-gravity-3d-mkv-atmos-how-do.html, I'm going to attempt to create an ISO or MKV file of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" with the 3D video track from the 3D bluray and the Dolby Atmos track from the 2D bluray. Last time I personally did the ISO version and it worked surprisingly easily; however, I believe I no longer have the DVDFab license--not to mention that, last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to use their software due to their legal troubles.

This is for creating an MKV file for playback on a 3D-capable computer or media player device like a KDLinks 720, which I have. If you don't already have a system like this capable of playing back 3D MKV (or other types), this thread is above-and-beyond what you need and I cannot help you get there. And, no I will not rip these files to a disc and send it to you nor will I send you the completed product in a stand-alone file for download. I may rip my own movies but I am anti-pirating to a near boy-scout level.

UPDATE:

Success!

I used the MKVToolNIX method. (Download page--I imagine most people will need to scroll down to "Windows" and click the link for the direct download page of the installer package.) I ripped the two MKV files initially using MakeMKV and then via MKVToolNIX selected the 3d video file and the TrueHD Atmos audio track in the "Input" tab of MKVToolNIX. Be sure to select the proper file destination on the "output" tab.

One weird thing that happened was that MKVToolNix initially named the file a ".mk3d" file, which my KDLINKS did not recognize. However changing it to ".mkv" worked just fine.

UPDATE:

Since apparently Oppos don't play 3D MKV files, you have to do a workaround. Here is a write-up from @Sevenfeet:

The Oppo 203/205s will certainly play a re-muxed .m2ts with 3D and Atmos information. I can't speak to the older 103/105 models since I don't own one. The main downside is that .m2ts files don't have built in chapter information so moving around other than just playing the movie can be a little difficult.

Here are the basics of how to do it (under Windows). I'm making the assumption that the user knows how to rip a 4K movie (and has the proper hardware to do it) in order to get the Atmos information. If you're using an Atmos-enabled 1080p disc, then any Blu Ray reader will do.

1. Extract the both movies in question with MakeMKV to respective .mkv files. Make sure you specify the 3D information track with the 3D movie since it's usually not selected by default. For the Atmos-enabled movie, just rip the TrueHD soundtrack...nothing else is necessary.

2. Using gMKVExtractGUI, drag the Atmos .MKV file into the input file and click the "Extract" button, making sure that the "Extract" field nearby is set for "Tracks" and not any other information (which isn't necessary). This app will extract the audio information to a .thd file.

3. The .thd file needs to be washed through another program called UsEac3To. This is basically a GUI front end for the Eac3To to save you from having to do a command line step here. Use the .thd file from the previous step as the input file. Select "thd+ac3" from the Track Input and Output Format pull down menu. Select the "Run CL" button. This program will return a new output file with a .thd+ac3 extension.

4. Rename the output file from "mymovie.thd+ac3" "mymovie.ac3".

5. Open TsMuxeR. Use both the 3D movie .MKV file and the .ac3 file with the Atmos track as input files. You'll see a list of all of the tracks (video and audio) for the final mux. Move the TRUEHD track up to Track #1 . Move the 3D video track to the third position (underneath the original DTS track). For output, select .m2ts muxing. Click the "Start Muxing" button.

6. Transfer the file to however you play your media (flash drive or network). Enjoy!

You can also see post #163 of this thread for more information on this portion from @zombie10k

See less See more
#136 ·
Zidoo FTW. You don't have to worry about disc space with a file and they're easy to edit/fix/replace. Even KODI on a Shield plays nice with 2D/2K soundtrack transplants (I've got 77 immersive soundtracks here with more on the way (22 DTS X, 45 Atmos and 10 Auro-3D) not counting iTunes streaming and probably close to half are transplanted from 4K discs like the Harry Potter and Jurassic Park box sets.)

#139 ·
Could someone please point me to a tutorial for newbies with MKVtoolnix? I can handle MakeMKV but I have only ever used Handbrake to process those files, so I can't make head or tails of mkvtoolnix UI. I can't figure out what files to add, or what to select from the list if I drag a bunch.

My hope is to have a file I can play on my Oppo 203, which won't play an ISO, so I'm crossing my fingers I can just stop at the merged MKV. I just don't know what exactly to add into mkvtoolnix to put in a new file. My test sample is Aquaman, backed up to a 2d mkv folder and 3d mkv folder.

The instructions in this thread were insufficient as a newbie to that tool, so any links to the Crayola version would be appreciated.

#140 · (Edited)
Went ahead and tried longest playlist on each, selecting video from 3d and atmos from 2d. There were two seemingly identical playlists in each, I just picked one of them. The resultant file played in 2d on Oppo to JVC rs540, and the receiver reported pcm 7.1, but I need to check on how Onkyo reports Atmos, if at all. All speaker icons were lit up like 7.1.2

I believe I need to convert the file to M2TS for 3d video, but I first need to go back and see if I extracted properly from the 3d disc with makemkv. Was I supposed to actively find the 3d mvc file? I just clicked backup for the whole disc. I don't see anything labeled 3d-mvc...

EDIT: found old reports that the OPPO chokes on True HD in MKV files. M2TS conversion could help that, too. tried tsMuxeR but unfamiliar with that. file has to copy before I can test.

#143 · (Edited)
Load 3D mkv. Keep all things but the audio tracks (which you can uncheck if you don't need/want them).

Load Atmos mkv. Uncheck everything but the Atmos audio track. You can label it Atmos on the right side when you select it (this label will then show up in players like Zidoo, which is better than just "Surround" it normally has).

Set your output file name (it likes to change the file type; I put it back to MKV).

Merge the files.

The resulting MKV file should have 3D + Atmos.

#145 ·
Your problem was "picking" a playlist. They are NOT identical. One is 7.1 with 3D (make SURE you checked the 3D box when dumping with MakeMKV or it will dump as 2D) and the other one is Atmos. You should know which one by the file you load. Follow my post above and it will work. Ignore at your own peril.

#146 ·
Got it working, now I am not sure if I will really use it. The Oppo gives me no control over the file. I can play or pause, but not fast forward/rewind or skip to chapters. After spending 2 nights working on it I promptly fell asleep when the movie started and I could not rewind. Bah!

First I had the issue that I was used to doing full backups, but that made it difficult to find the 3D video. Switched to MKV rips instead of full backup and was able to continue. I was able to get an MKV with 3d and Atmos but the Oppo plays it as 2d. I then started conversions to M2TS, which gave me 3d video but I lost audio. Somehow tsMuxeR was unable to read the Atmos audio so it dropped it. Tried many different rips and eventually discovered I could get the Atmos out of a full backup and the 3d video out of a rip, so I combined them in rsMuxeR and skipped mkvtoolsnix altogether. Tried another movie and had same issue with the TrueHD track and tsMuxeR. Blah!

#147 ·
Oppo? They've abandoned home theater. Get a Zidoo. MKV 3D + Atmos works great. You can fast forward, etc as norm.

#148 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I may some day add one if I can't find a way to make my current hardware work. I have to keep the Oppo because my CIH theater is built around it as primary video processor. Hope it never breaks!

Ultimately I found that there is a skip back/ahead function with the Oppo. didn't figure out how far it is skipping, maybe 5 minutes, but it is definitely not to chapter breaks.

I am not sure how MakeMKV is breaking the TrueHD track but it may just be something wrong with current release. Consistently working from a full backup, at least. have Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Ready Player One all working.

My family was out of the house so I played Aquaman at full reference volume. Blew a fuse when the fist torpedo exploded! Whole theater went dark... Scary, and somehow awesome at the same time. Turned out to be a 10 amp filter on the line to keep noise out of the power for my home automation stuff. Need to find a bigger one!

#164 ·
Thanks, zombie10k, that is fantastic. I did just do a comparison between my UHD disc for Wonder Woman and the M2TS I made with tsMuxeR and the audio seems to be the same. I pulled the True HD track from a MakeMKV backup folder of a 2d bluray. I have not tried a UHD backup yet but I assume it will require me to do this longer procedure you have described.

I appreciate all the support in this thread. I have done the Atmos files I have easy access to. The Disney/Marvel ones will have to wait. In the mean time I am grabbing the region B discs so I don't have to bother with my region-free mod.

#170 · (Edited)
Hi - I am looking to remux some blu ray atmos tracks into my 3D movies. I started out with Godzilla KOM. I am using DVDFab and not sure what type of 3D MKV file option to use - there are quite a few. So far I haven’t been able to play any of the rips in 3D. I tried it on my oppo 105, my nvidia shield using kodi and straight to my LG C6. None of them produced a 3D image. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong in DVDFab or I don’t have a device that can playback a 3D MKV file. I do have a med8er 1000 but haven’t tried that and I don’t think it can do Atmos.

What is the best device for playing back 3D MKV rips? Early in the thread there was a link to a Zidoo device but it says it is not available any longer

I figure I better be able to play these files back before I try to remux anything.

Thanks
Ray

Edit: I hooked up my mede8er 1000 and played the 3D MKV rips I created in DVDFab and it did not trigger 3D on my tv. I tried a few ISO’s I had on the mede8er and they did trigger 3D.

I must be doing something wrong when creating the 3D MKV’s in DVDFab But I am not sure what.

#171 · (Edited)
I don't use DVDFab... so I can not comment on it's settings... And I don't use Kodi, but I thought that it could not handle full MVC 3D files?...

I do have an old Mede8er 1000 though and it will definitely play 3D MVC MKV files ... and obviously Atmos files if you enable the bitstream or Raw audio output.... you will need to hit the menu and turn on 3D playback mode when you start playing the 3D MKV file... but, it will automatically play 3D MKV files if you add ".TB" or ".SBS" to the actual filename... that simply notifies the Mede8er that it is indeed a 3D file and will automatically play it in the correct full 1080p frame packed MVC 3D mode in spite of the file name.

#181 ·
I am going to make a list here of 3D movies that don’t have atmos but come with a 2D blu-ray that does for anyone else that may want it.

I am slowly going though and remuxing my collection and will add more as I get to them. Feel free to suggest others to add to the list.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find Them
Fantastic Beasts the crimes of Grindlewald
Godzilla King of Monsters
Gravity

#182 · (Edited)
Has anyone been able to successfully make a 3D file that contains Gravity's 3D video and Atmos audio, AND play it on an Oppo 103 or 203?

I've tried making an ISO and a M2TS file. The resultant file is about double the size of the original video track (25GB doubles to about a 50GB ISO)...is this normal?

The resultant file plays, my Sony turns into 3D mode, but the video is all choppy, it hangs, and crashes the Oppo.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

#183 ·
I have Gravity working for hard drive playback on my Zidoo X9S in 3D with Atmos. I've never attempted to make a BD disc and only had the demo software to try it briefly before. I find it easier and better to play back 3D movies on a Zidoo from a hard drive. I don't have to hunt for the disc and I can even include multiple soundtracks (e.g. some have Auro-3D and Atmos mixes in the same file which would never fit on a BD disc).

#184 ·
I'm not trying to make a BD disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#191 ·
IME, either the AV syncs up all the way through on remuxes, or it is off by a set amount of time all the way through....which can easily be fixed with MKVtoolnix... I do have this title remuxed with the Atmos audio on the blu ray...but haven't yet watched it all the way through...but didn't notice anything with the sound being out of sync on the parts I did watch. I will have to check it out fully...I wonder if something happened during one of your rips? What is your playback device? And are you playing back via network NAS or attached HDD... etc..?

#194 ·
OK, I see now... my fault, I should have realized that you were probably referring to muxing a 3D title with the Atmos audio...I only remuxed the Atmos audio from the 4K to the video of the standard bluray of Underworld Blood Wars. I assume playing on the Mede8er did the same thing?

My guess is that I bet the audio jumps out of sync after a specific chapter. I do recall now that I had this exact same problem when trying to mux the Atmos audio from 4K version of Crank with the 1080p blu ray video. Everything was good up until about a little over 1/2 way into the movie, then the audio just jumped out of sync badly right after a chapter change.... No matter what I tried with ripping, I couldn't get it to work. But, with it not being a 3D title, I was fine with just playing the 4K rip even though I only have a 1080p projector.

I guess it is hard to say what source could be at fault... the foreign 3D disc or the 4K disc?

#201 ·
There's some good advice on this thread. I managed to get a 3D remux with Atmos of the Hobbit to play on a Chinoppo though it did seem a bit choppy in some areas. Might fiddle around with the settings or try another software for the rip and see how it goes. A couple of questions. The atmos track from the 4K was out of sync with the 3D video. How do you tell exactly how much it is out of sync by during the remuxing process without trialling it? If I wanted to remux a 3D video with a DTS:X track from a 4k is there a step that needs to change somewhere? For example on UsEac3To I didn't see an option for dts+ac3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.