21Likes

post #31 of 120 Old 07-10-2018, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaandreii View Post
Ok...paired them via Bluetooth...muuch better...Regarding the ui...I'm coming from uverse....tried also hulu live,directvnow and ps vue...this one feels like an upscale....never had tivo so i cannot coment on that...i guess u're just used to it..🙂
What do you have for a display/TV. If a 4K display I'm interested in how the Layer3 TV upscales vs maybe the other options you've tried. My primary reason to consider the change is I believe I'd like a new display. I've 64" 1080P PLASMA that this is great with, reason to consider not even thinking a 4K display and just wait.

I want to like this very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
What do you have for a display/TV. If a 4K display I'm interested in how the Layer3 TV upscales vs maybe the other options you've tried. My primary reason to consider the change is I believe I'd like a new display. I've 64" 1080P PLASMA that this is great with, reason to consider not even thinking a 4K display and just wait.

I want to like this very much.
I have a 65 4k in the living and a 55 4k in the bedroom....picture looks great on both upscalled and beautiful on 4k channels and 4k on demand ...totally recommend to get a 4k set
post #33 of 120 Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 AM

I'm 30+ days into Layer3 TV and I've 'no regrets' - OTA isn't an option for me (trees - hills etc). A neighbor with a 30' tower struggles. I've carried my MAIN box to Dish user that has a 2160 display and newer Dish hardware. They were astonished with the difference in 'Picture Quality'. I'm maybe still struggling a bit with the conversion - TiVo to Layer3 but I'm catching on.

It was mentioned earlier that to survive they needed to offer reduced package sizes. Their intent is to offer 'Picture Quality' and they've certainly accomplished that. I don't have a problem with their offering and I believe their package is way less expensive than a similar from any of the major cable co.

I still haven't done a 2160 display and the 64" Samsung F8500 1080P Plasma hasn't looked this good for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 120 Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
looks like the TV service is set to expand to more markets...they're having a big 'launch party' event on August 15th...hopefully NYC is the next market...Layer3 sounds like what FiOS used to be in the early days when their focus was on delivering the best picture quality (at decent prices)...

https://bgr.com/2018/08/09/t-mobile-...s-directv-now/
post #35 of 120 Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
looks like the TV service is set to expand to more markets...they're having a big 'launch party' event on August 15th...hopefully NYC is the next market...Layer3 sounds like what FiOS used to be in the early days when their focus was on delivering the best picture quality (at decent prices)...

https://bgr.com/2018/08/09/t-mobile-...s-directv-now/
They are missing a couple of channels I really want, but if they get there system scaled up nationally they may pick them up. We have Layer 3 available in L.A. The big missing network is NHL right now but i think they'll pick it up at some point.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #36 of 120 Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Disappointed

I was looking forward to try this service but I've got Frontier as my broadband provider and can't get it. Bummer......
post #37 of 120 Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
I was looking forward to try this service but I've got Frontier as my broadband provider and can't get it. Bummer......

post #38 of 120 Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How does Layer3 consider their content 4K when their boxes max output is 1080P?
post #39 of 120 Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM

L3TV - DVR question

Several weeks ago some DVR 'management' changes were done. In the 'management' index mine always shows # of episodes and always the same # 'un-watched'. When opening the SHOW then you're presented with the expected 'WATCHED and 'UN-WATCHED'

Is everyone's like this or is it a ME ONLY? I seem to have some DVR issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	819.8 KB
ID:	2469768

Name:	DVR (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	852.5 KB
ID:	2469770

Images are quite old (mid August) but it continues for me and I'm trying to sort. I have NO PICTURE QUALITY issues, I'd say I'm quite happy less the DVR management. I guess TiVo has spoiled me.

They fixed the HISTORY BAR so that it clears and it's pretty easy to do say NETWORK NFL LIVE SWAPS just using the HISTORY BAR vs entering channels. LOAD only FOX and CBS and tag back and forth for LIVE.
post #40 of 120 Old 10-28-2018, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
How does Layer3 consider their content 4K when their boxes max output is 1080P?
Their boxes output 4K.
post #41 of 120 Old 11-11-2018, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
L3TV - DVR question

Several weeks ago some DVR 'management' changes were done. In the 'management' index mine always shows # of episodes and always the same # 'un-watched'. When opening the SHOW then you're presented with the expected 'WATCHED and 'UN-WATCHED'

Is everyone's like this or is it a ME ONLY? I seem to have some DVR issues.

Attachment 2469768

Attachment 2469770

Images are quite old (mid August) but it continues for me and I'm trying to sort. I have NO PICTURE QUALITY issues, I'd say I'm quite happy less the DVR management. I guess TiVo has spoiled me.

They fixed the HISTORY BAR so that it clears and it's pretty easy to do say NETWORK NFL LIVE SWAPS just using the HISTORY BAR vs entering channels. LOAD only FOX and CBS and tag back and forth for LIVE.
Same for me regarding watched and unwatched DVR shows. Folders show all unwatched, inside the folder shows reality. Software version 10/23 is what I have on my box I believe.

History bar is nice to use for Saturday football. Speaking of the SEC Network and ESPN News were both showing ESPN Deportes Friday and Saturday. I called and they fixed it within an hour. Odd that I noticed it and not the employees, but I guess it could have just been a coincidence.
post #42 of 120 Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niscuit View Post
Same for me regarding watched and unwatched DVR shows. Folders show all unwatched, inside the folder shows reality. Software version 10/23 is what I have on my box I believe.

History bar is nice to use for Saturday football. Speaking of the SEC Network and ESPN News were both showing ESPN Deportes Friday and Saturday. I called and they fixed it within an hour. Odd that I noticed it and not the employees, but I guess it could have just been a coincidence.

The ESPN DEPORTES issue for me was earlier in the day when trying to watch F1 RACING, FP3 Practice early in AM, it still wasn't fixed at NOON for F1 Qualifying. TV EVERYWHERE and my Roku worked and also on the PC. Much about Layer3TV is very good. I didn't have DEPORTES issues Friday before NOON EDT.

How did you determine software is 10/23?

It would be good to see maybe more participation regarding L3TV - I'm surprised there's not much more.
post #43 of 120 Old 11-11-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
The ESPN DEPORTES issue for me was earlier in the day when trying to watch F1 RACING, FP3 Practice early in AM, it still wasn't fixed at NOON for F1 Qualifying. TV EVERYWHERE and my Roku worked and also on the PC. Much about Layer3TV is very good. I didn't have DEPORTES issues Friday before NOON EDT.

How did you determine software is 10/23?

It would be good to see maybe more participation regarding L3TV - I'm surprised there's not much more.
Under Settings - About - Bundle# if i am remembering correctly. Same screen as reboot. First the box was 1008 now 1023eldorado or something along those lines.

Hopefully we can drum up some activity as I am interested with others experiences. I self-installed late October and have been having a few issues or questions here and there.
post #44 of 120 Old 11-11-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niscuit View Post
Under Settings - About - Bundle# if i am remembering correctly. Same screen as reboot. First the box was 1008 now 1023eldorado or something along those lines.

Hopefully we can drum up some activity as I am interested with others experiences. I self-installed late October and have been having a few issues or questions here and there.
I'm outside the Wash DC market and my system information 23Oct18-eldorado is a match to yours. That's my first visit to that section since I set it up back in July. I might have thought that to be different with you mentioning 'Chicagoland'. I'm quite rural with no OTA options - those with 20+' towers have issues. I came to L3TV looking for PQ vs Xfinity > I'm very pleased. I used TiVo with CableCard and Xfinity VOD was getting to be a constant nuisance. I didn't use it much but it seemed to always be a nuisance. I miss some TiVo features but PQ is what I expected.

I have a MAIN BOX and a LITE - I've had my LITE connected using the internal WiFi (from the MAIN) and also Ethernet. The MAIN has 2 Ethernet ports and I actually connected the LITE using it to confirm some 'booting' of the LITE box. Other than the DVR issues I have few'

I have a friend with a MAIN & 4 LITE boxes connected using MoCA and they're quite happy also.
post #45 of 120 Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I'm outside the Wash DC market and my system information 23Oct18-eldorado is a match to yours. That's my first visit to that section since I set it up back in July. I might have thought that to be different with you mentioning 'Chicagoland'. I'm quite rural with no OTA options - those with 20+' towers have issues. I came to L3TV looking for PQ vs Xfinity > I'm very pleased. I used TiVo with CableCard and Xfinity VOD was getting to be a constant nuisance. I didn't use it much but it seemed to always be a nuisance. I miss some TiVo features but PQ is what I expected.

I have a MAIN BOX and a LITE - I've had my LITE connected using the internal WiFi (from the MAIN) and also Ethernet. The MAIN has 2 Ethernet ports and I actually connected the LITE using it to confirm some 'booting' of the LITE box. Other than the DVR issues I have few'

I have a friend with a MAIN & 4 LITE boxes connected using MoCA and they're quite happy also.
I went the CableCard route for awhile and had nothing but trouble so gave up. This was with a cable company in FL though.

I have a small antenna on my back deck that nets me 78 channels about 20 miles outside of downtown Chicago. Helps that most our broadcasts come from the Sears Tower, which is almost 1,800 feet at the tip.

Sounds like you have tested the system out for awhile. I am only on week 2 and have some good things to say (PQ) and some negatives. Yesterday was another negative. I watch NFL RedZone on Sundays and the feed was out of whack in our market yesterday. Black bars covering parts of the feed. I called and spoke with a nice tech who escalated the issue. They asked me to take a pic and send it to them. That is the second day in a row I have had what I wanted to watch, and pay $10 extra for, have some sort of problem. Sundays are my day to relax and veg out....not spend time on the phone correcting what I want to watch.

Only the Main DVR for me. No Lite boxes as of yet. So from what I gather you CAN use Ethernet with the Lite boxes? I much prefer wired set ups if possible.

Product at times feels like a beta test for a larger roll out. With the nondescript boxes and odd mashup of T-Mobile/L3TV logos and marketing. Still enjoying it so far but need it to be reliable for me to feel comfortable paying $99 a month. What is the price in the DC market? The $99 i quoted includes the DVR, allHD base package with 152 channels, EPIX free year trial, and the $10 sports add on for NFL RedZone, which I will drop after the season as the other channels included are filler.
post #46 of 120 Old 11-12-2018, 02:51 AM

The package in this market(WASH DC) is $85 for MAIN - $10 for each LITE box with NO ADDS. In July the LITE Box promotion for 1st year was 'FREE' and the MAIN reduced to $75 if doing the self install.

For me it's done well and a DVR with a 1TB HDD maybe a more preferred option to the 'cloud' DVR. 'YouTubeTV' I don't believe was an option for me when I looked in June, it is now and I may look into that.

The 'RedZone' issue sounds odd - I don't subscribe to any of the ADDS - Post a snapshot of that.

The 'TVEVERYWHERE' does well. The only issue I had was some of mine were linked to XFINITY on my Roku. Those I only needed to remove the channel and then after a reset add again.

You might want to visit Reddit for L3TV info.

They're certainly responsive to either CHAT or TALK. You can create Tickets for issues that get attention. I imagine that's how they asked you send snapshots. What do you have for a 'display' - My 64" Plasma likes L3TV (Me also) - I've a 65" 4K in the box on the floor I can't decide where to put.
post #47 of 120 Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The package in this market(WASH DC) is $85 for MAIN - $10 for each LITE box with NO ADDS. In July the LITE Box promotion for 1st year was 'FREE' and the MAIN reduced to $75 if doing the self install.

For me it's done well and a DVR with a 1TB HDD maybe a more preferred option to the 'cloud' DVR. 'YouTubeTV' I don't believe was an option for me when I looked in June, it is now and I may look into that.

The 'RedZone' issue sounds odd - I don't subscribe to any of the ADDS - Post a snapshot of that.

The 'TVEVERYWHERE' does well. The only issue I had was some of mine were linked to XFINITY on my Roku. Those I only needed to remove the channel and then after a reset add again.

You might want to visit Reddit for L3TV info.

They're certainly responsive to either CHAT or TALK. You can create Tickets for issues that get attention. I imagine that's how they asked you send snapshots. What do you have for a 'display' - My 64" Plasma likes L3TV (Me also) - I've a 65" 4K in the box on the floor I can't decide where to put.
Thought I signed up for post notices but guess not. Sorry for the delayed response.

The DC market prices you quoted are not bad at all for the service. The physical DVR has been really good since installed. That being said I think that YTTV and others will soon be able, if not already, be able to record every stream they broadcast for months at a time thus making the "DVR" as we know it useless. If I had a categorized back catalog of 90 days of content I would be a happy customer. No more "thinking" about what to record. It is just there.

The main concern I had with the NFL and RedZone problem was that it lasted for 2 weeks. I have attached a photo of what I was seeing on my TV. No top 15% and no ticker....for 2 weeks. I have people coming to watch the event on Sundays so not acceptable. If I want to use TV Everywhere I would just toss my neighbor a few bucks and get a login.

I do like the service but need to see consistent improvements for the price. NBCSN 4K EPL matches still aren't here while others are providing weekly. That is what I expect from them.

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0053 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2484080  

Last edited by niscuit; 11-17-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Picture
post #48 of 120 Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am also considering moving from Dish to Layer3. The recent spat between Dish and HBO is my last straw. We mainly watch HBO via the HBOGo app on PS4 and now it won't work.

I am getting a 4K LG OLED soon and think this might be the time. Spectrum is my ISP and I have Ethernet to the entertainment console. Does the Layer3 box have an OTA tuner? It is hard to get in LA, but I have managed some OTA channels in the past and it works well with Dish 722 VIP.

Any locals have advice? I am 90064.

Anthem AVM60 - ATI 2005 - Dual HK Citation 7.1 - Lintwitz Orion Mains - Dynaudio Contour Center - Dynaudio Audience 42 Surround - Dynaudio Audience 52 rears - Velodyne DD-15 - Rythmik Audio F15HP - Oppo BDP-105D - Oppo UDP-203 - Sony PS4 Pro - Xbox One X - Layer3tv - LG OLED65E8PUA - Thorens TD-124 - Lounge Audio Gold phono preamp - PS Audio Premier power
post #49 of 120 Old 11-25-2018, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsterla View Post
I am also considering moving from Dish to Layer3. The recent spat between Dish and HBO is my last straw. We mainly watch HBO via the HBOGo app on PS4 and now it won't work.

I am getting a 4K LG OLED soon and think this might be the time. Spectrum is my ISP and I have Ethernet to the entertainment console. Does the Layer3 box have an OTA tuner? It is hard to get in LA, but I have managed some OTA channels in the past and it works well with Dish 722 VIP.

Any locals have advice? I am 90064.
They do have a lot of the networks that run on OTA in the L.A. area. No OTA tuner but you may not need one. Go to...https://layer3tv.com/channels and plug in your zip code.

post #50 of 120 Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
T-Mobile will intro their standalone box before the end of the year supposedly. Their plan is to eventually have service thru their 5G Network.

Mark Conner
post #51 of 120 Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I've been following Layer3 for quite some time waiting for them to reach a "carrier agreement" with Frontier here in the DFW market. I cut DirecTV back in March and started up with YoutubeTV and an OTA server with DVR (Using ROKUs and ATV). While it's not ideal, we've gotten used to the "quirks" and it suits our needs.

I revisited Layer3 a couple weeks ago after being told they have reached an agreement with Frontier. After pricing things out it's not all that much cheaper than DirecTV was for 4 TV's.

If they want to compete, they're going to have to get their pricing lower IMO. AND that's with the TMob discount for being a TMob customer.
post #52 of 120 Old 11-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I've been following Layer3 for quite some time waiting for them to reach a "carrier agreement" with Frontier here in the DFW market. I cut DirecTV back in March and started up with YoutubeTV and an OTA server with DVR (Using ROKUs and ATV). While it's not ideal, we've gotten used to the "quirks" and it suits our needs.

I revisited Layer3 a couple weeks ago after being told they have reached an agreement with Frontier. After pricing things out it's not all that much cheaper than DirecTV was for 4 TV's.

If they want to compete, they're going to have to get their pricing lower IMO. AND that's with the TMob discount for being a TMob customer.
It ain't all about $$$$ - I changed looking for PQ that was missing with Xfinity - Dish & DTV seemed to leave much to be desired for PQ also. Do you have 'DATA CAPS'? That would be the only way I'd think it could even compare $$ wise to DTV. Mention how it was priced to you?

What zip code???

Last edited by WVZR1; 11-27-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #53 of 120 Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No data caps and with regards to PQ, DTV PQ has always been among the least compressed so I don't know where you're coming from.

I'm in the DFW market as I said. Layer3 approaches the cost of what I was paying for DTV in apples to apples (channels and equipment) and I don't know how good the Layer3 DVR is. Plus you can't integrate OTA to the guide as you can in DTV.

I just didn't want to continue paying so much each month for TV. It was unnecessary. YTTV and OTA via PLEX will do for now.

Quote:
It ain't all about $$$$ - I changed looking for PQ that was missing with Xfinity - Dish & DTV seemed to leave much to be desired for PQ also. Do you have 'DATA CAPS'? That would be the only way I'd think it could even compare $$ wise to DTV. Mention how it was priced to you?

What zip code???
post #54 of 120 Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
Update - While shopping about Level3 tv site, setting up an account, they do have Frontier FIOS AS a service provider(internet) that you can use.

I think shortly, I will order a 2 box system, to evaluate their service.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #55 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM

2 box order, due in 12/4

Let the trial begin !
tenthplanet likes this.
post #56 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me75006 View Post
2 box order, due in 12/4

Let the trial begin !

And you're located in which 'MARKET' ? ZIP CODE?
post #57 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
And you're located in which 'MARKET' ? ZIP CODE?
Frontier, 75006
post #58 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me75006 View Post
Frontier, 75006
I assumed that but sometimes what seems 'obvious' is meant to be a distraction. You'll be comparing it to what and on what size and type of display? Your Frontier connection speed is? The LITE box will be connected how, Wired (Ethernet) WiFi using the MAIN or maybe you've an existing MoCA maybe
post #59 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just curious. Form your statements and some of your questions you've asked I get the feeling you're associated somehow with Layer3.
Is that the case? always nice to know......
Quote:
I assumed that but sometimes what seems 'obvious' is meant to be a distraction. You'll be comparing it to what and on what size and type of display? Your Frontier connection speed is? The LITE box will be connected how, Wired (Ethernet) WiFi using the MAIN or maybe you've an existing MoCA maybe
post #60 of 120 Old 12-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Just curious. Form your statements and some of your questions you've asked I get the feeling you're associated somehow with Layer3.
Is that the case? always nice to know......

NOPE - Not associated, just a subscriber and looking for newer experiences. I came to them looking for PQ and have that. I have maybe minor issues. My MAIN & LITE is Ethernet but I have used the WiFi created by their MAIN also with no issues. MoCA interests me somewhat. There's little conversation from newer users. Comparisons to whatever you're using now is always a +. I had TiVo with Xfinity and a location that offers few options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page