post #91 of 120 Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by me75006 View Post

(everybody on coax)
MoCA certainly is convenient - of course the COAX needs to be present or 'new' runs. I've Ethernet everywhere and I don't believe I'd use MoCA where Ethernet is an option. I use a FiOS (branded) router just because I considered MoCA for some TiVo connectivity previously. There's much that can be done with MoCA when correctly installed.

I'm NOT 'impressed' by the new appearance. If it facilitates their FIX of DVR issues etc - GREAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 03-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just received the new firmware update this past Friday.

The idea of new firmware is to improve what is already there. This update breaks several things.

The new Guide is easier to read (white on black, instead of dark gray(, what is on a particular channel displays larger (similar to DISH and DirecTV), and the main menu now shows apps. The Lite Box seems to no longer drop connectivity to the Main Box, forcing a power cycle; though, this could still happen.

The downside is I noticed the following problems, thought long removed:

1. Channel will freeze, then fix itself.
2. Channel will freeze, go into a repeat loop.
3. Every morning, now I have to power cycle the main box, because it drops the HDMI signal over the night time.

4. Energy saver sometimes goes into stand by mode, even if you press a button indicating you are watching TV.
5. The weird one. Sometimes, if you change a channel and go back, the channel starts playing from when you first started watching the original channel. So, let's say you watched 30 minutes of a movie, went to another channel like ESPN, and come back, you be placed back the 30 minutes, plus the time you viewed ESPN. This could be a problem, if you go back and forth between football games.

And, I am using MOCA, I did restart my network, and I am on a 1Gbs/1Gbs Internet connection.
post #93 of 120 Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
Just received the new firmware update this past Friday.

The idea of new firmware is to improve what is already there. This update breaks several things.

The new Guide is easier to read (white on black, instead of dark gray(, what is on a particular channel displays larger (similar to DISH and DirecTV), and the main menu now shows apps. The Lite Box seems to no longer drop connectivity to the Main Box, forcing a power cycle; though, this could still happen.

The downside is I noticed the following problems, thought long removed:

1. Channel will freeze, then fix itself.
2. Channel will freeze, go into a repeat loop.
3. Every morning, now I have to power cycle the main box, because it drops the HDMI signal over the night time.

4. Energy saver sometimes goes into stand by mode, even if you press a button indicating you are watching TV.
5. The weird one. Sometimes, if you change a channel and go back, the channel starts playing from when you first started watching the original channel. So, let's say you watched 30 minutes of a movie, went to another channel like ESPN, and come back, you be placed back the 30 minutes, plus the time you viewed ESPN. This could be a problem, if you go back and forth between football games.

And, I am using MOCA, I did restart my network, and I am on a 1Gbs/1Gbs Internet connection.
How long have you been a 'user' and in what market?

I only know one way to describe the 'newest update' It's a DAMN MESS, I've been through 3 updates and each actually seemed to have 'fixed' some things. This one fixed NOTHING but 'BUSTED it seems a lot!! I've got 'audio drop out' issues that I've never had, sync issues, lost a recording. Power cycling last evening 'fixed nothing' I took some snapshots and I'll open a ticket. I've not reached out to them via chat or a call!! I imagine they're pretty damn busy.

I even created a new 'user id' to see if it changed some obvious issues I had seen using my 'ONLY' user ID.

Post back if you see improvements!!

Many times mine struggles to get past the newer 'WELCOME' notification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 120 Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 PM

I live in Longmont, and have been a subscriber for two years.

I have noticed audio issues, more of volume changing louder and softer while watch a program.

One suggestion is to unplug your Later 3 boxes, power cycle your network, and plug Layer 3 back in.

As Layer 3 boxes are Linux boxes, a cold restart may be useful to clear out you network and Layer 3. The update may not have successfully cleared out active network ports and the like. Just so you know, this may not be effective.

You should try chat, as there is usually someone there.

Layer 3 does not have a lot of subscribers, so getting hold of them should bot be difficult.

I have not done so yet, as I wan t to see if I notice other things or they are releasing an update to fix what was broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
How long have you been a 'user' and in what market?

I only know one way to describe the 'newest update' It's a DAMN MESS, I've been through 3 updates and each actually seemed to have 'fixed' some things. This one fixed NOTHING but 'BUSTED it seems a lot!! I've got 'audio drop out' issues that I've never had, sync issues, lost a recording. Power cycling last evening 'fixed nothing' I took some snapshots and I'll open a ticket. I've not reached out to them via chat or a call!! I imagine they're pretty damn busy.

I even created a new 'user id' to see if it changed some obvious issues I had seen using my 'ONLY' user ID.

Post back if you see improvements!!

Many times mine struggles to get past the newer 'WELCOME' notification.
post #95 of 120 Old 03-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I live in Longmont, and have been a subscriber for two years.

I have noticed audio issues, more of volume changing louder and softer while watch a program.

One suggestion is to unplug your Later 3 boxes, power cycle your network, and plug Layer 3 back in.

As Layer 3 boxes are Linux boxes, a cold restart may be useful to clear out you network and Layer 3. The update may not have successfully cleared out active network ports and the like. Just so you know, this may not be effective.

You should try chat, as there is usually someone there.

Layer 3 does not have a lot of subscribers, so getting hold of them should bot be difficult.

I have not done so yet, as I wan t to see if I notice other things or they are releasing an update to fix what was broken.
Thanks for stopping by!!! My intentions were to just ride it out for a few days to see if it gets 'worse' and I'm just taking snapshots and trying to document as much as I can. Actually yesterday I considered starting a new thread for Layer3TV since the --T-Mobile® acquisition! Not to bitch but to just try to generate some newer experiences. The beginning of this current thread doesn't seem to be relevant for most of the 'goings on' now.

Layer3TV got me the 'Picture Quality' I was interested in and I'm somewhat happy. There's issues but for the most part 'tolerable'! I miss my TiVo for sure but ..................

In the AM here very early I'll likely do as you suggested ..............reboot the entire system

All seemed well .................

UNTIL LAST EVENING!!!!!!
post #96 of 120 Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM

One irony, with the new update, the picture quality seems to be better.

Also, because Layer 3 runs over the Internet, there can be network issues out of Layer 3's control. In my case, fro example, I have to hope that the trunk between NextLight (Longmont's City Internet) and Layer 3's data Center, in Greenwood Village/Centennial, Colorado (just south of Denver) is functioning properly.

Each city, where Layer 3 is located, have their own "hubs" from how I understand it.

Longmont happens to be lucky to have a dedicated link, that goes through Level 3 Communications then to Layer 3. So, there are no extra layers or providers to contend with.

That said, external routers and servers fail. The outage Layer 3 suffered a few month ago, was partially caused by a power failure at the main data center which feeds the hubs. From what I understand, a number of servers had to be rebuilt, after power was restored. Hence, why it took so long to restore service.

The bottom line Layer 3 has more moving parts than DISH, DirecTV or a local cable service. Though, services like Netflx, Hulu, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, etc. would be subject to same issues, as Layer 3; Internet infrastructure wise. A streaming services, unlike dedicated cable or satellite, is limited by one's home network connection, speed and router.

I am leery to see if G5, and cell towers, will be reliable for HD and UHD delivery of 275+ channels which Layer3 TV currently provides.

Quote:
Thanks for stopping by!!! My intentions were to just ride it out for a few days to see if it gets 'worse' and I'm just taking snapshots and trying to document as much as I can. Actually yesterday I considered starting a new thread for Layer3TV since the --T-Mobile® acquisition! Not to bitch but to just try to generate some newer experiences. The beginning of this current thread doesn't seem to be relevant for most of the 'goings on' now.

Layer3TV got me the 'Picture Quality' I was interested in and I'm somewhat happy. There's issues but for the most part 'tolerable'! I miss my TiVo for sure but ..................

In the AM here very early I'll likely do as you suggested ..............reboot the entire system

All seemed well .................

UNTIL LAST EVENING!!!!!!
post #97 of 120 Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
One irony, with the new update, the picture quality seems to be better.

Also, because Layer 3 runs over the Internet, there can be network issues out of Layer 3's control. In my case, fro example, I have to hope that the trunk between NextLight (Longmont's City Internet) and Layer 3's data Center, in Greenwood Village/Centennial, Colorado (just south of Denver) is functioning properly.

Each city, where Layer 3 is located, have their own "hubs" from how I understand it.

Longmont happens to be lucky to have a dedicated link, that goes through Level 3 Communications then to Layer 3. So, there are no extra layers or providers to contend with.

That said, external routers and servers fail. The outage Layer 3 suffered a few month ago, was partially caused by a power failure at the main data center which feeds the hubs. From what I understand, a number of servers had to be rebuilt, after power was restored. Hence, why it took so long to restore service.

The bottom line Layer 3 has more moving parts than DISH, DirecTV or a local cable service. Though, services like Netflx, Hulu, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, etc. would be subject to same issues, as Layer 3; Internet infrastructure wise. A streaming services, unlike dedicated cable or satellite, is limited by one's home network connection, speed and router.

I am leery to see if G5, and cell towers, will be reliable for HD and UHD delivery of 275+ channels which Layer3 TV currently provides.
3/12//2019 Layer3TV Dallas
I have been through the updates, pwr cycle, reset by rear button. Still locking up at least once a day. Seems to be not going into pwr save mode while you are away. Turn the TV on and there is pic and sound, not the home screen. You can curser up/dn the left menus but can't select any of them. Reboot the STB with the remote and all is well until the next time. The CSR's are there but they can only talk you through your network reset and box resets.

I have seen on the FCC.GOV site a new STB that they applied for approval. Nothing out in the real world about this.

I think their pic's are great. What little 4k I have seen is great. The DVR is pretty good NOW. IP glitch issues mess with the DVR but are less today than a year ago. Finding a real Tech that knows the system has been impossible.
Johnny S.
post #98 of 120 Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Comments on 7 March Layer 3 software update (07mar19-griswold):

The last two software upgrades continue to make things worse; not better.

The latest one, dated 7 March, not only has problems of freezing, and buffering, but now it adds a split second skip. (sound goes out, picture advances, sound returns). Also, there is looping the last 10 seconds; fixed by changing the channel. Sometimes it could take 5 seconds or more to change a channel.

Most mornings, since the February update, the main STB has to be rebooted (power cycle hard boot), as the unit is not responsive or it is off). A satellite STB, needs to be rebooted, at least once per day.

Just to be clear, the Main and Satellite STB are on MOCA. The Internet connection is 1Gbs/1Gbs through the City of Longmont NextLight network (so no third party Internet). The Main STB is plugged into the router via MOCA. Power cycling the network equipment, MOCA, and STBs have no affect. Before the February upgrade, these issues were rare; now they are far more frequent.

FYI, the storm, which went through her two days ago, is not a factor. These problems existed before the storm.

Whatever T-Mobile is doing; it is making it seems to be making beta testers out of existing Layer 3 customers.
post #99 of 120 Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2454
Quote:
Comments on 7 March Layer 3 software update (07mar19-griswold):

The last two software upgrades continue to make things worse; not better.

The latest one, dated 7 March, not only has problems of freezing, and buffering, but now it adds a split second skip. (sound goes out, picture advances, sound returns). Also, there is looping the last 10 seconds; fixed by changing the channel. Sometimes it could take 5 seconds or more to change a channel.

Most mornings, since the February update, the main STB has to be rebooted (power cycle hard boot), as the unit is not responsive or it is off). A satellite STB, needs to be rebooted, at least once per day.

Just to be clear, the Main and Satellite STB are on MOCA. The Internet connection is 1Gbs/1Gbs through the City of Longmont NextLight network (so no third party Internet). The Main STB is plugged into the router via MOCA. Power cycling the network equipment, MOCA, and STBs have no affect. Before the February upgrade, these issues were rare; now they are far more frequent.

FYI, the storm, which went through her two days ago, is not a factor. These problems existed before the storm.

Whatever T-Mobile is doing; it is making it seems to be making beta testers out of existing Layer 3 customers.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #100 of 120 Old 03-16-2019, 09:09 AM

@nmetro1

I seem to experience similar issues and they certainly seem related to this most recent update. My STB(s) (MAIN & LITE) are both Ethernet connected. I had experienced some audio and skip issues but they insist that they pushed a 'patch' after confirming it actually was UPDATE related. I've had a few unusual issues in the past week but the 'patch' they mentioned to me said was pushed to ALL. I believe they mentioned 8March - improved since then? I had one known issue since.

It's certainly an 'adventure'!
post #101 of 120 Old 03-16-2019, 02:28 PM

The issue remains, but if you change the channel and go back; it stops.

One other weird thing, go between local and cable channels, takes far longer, has the repeat loop issue (local channel) and the skip/sound issue.

Thank you, though, fro confirming that this problem is external to my provider and home network.

Maybe the patch has not reached everyone yet; I am at 7March.

Quote:
@nmetro1

I seem to experience similar issues and they certainly seem related to this most recent update. My STB(s) (MAIN & LITE) are both Ethernet connected. I had experienced some audio and skip issues but they insist that they pushed a 'patch' after confirming it actually was UPDATE related. I've had a few unusual issues in the past week but the 'patch' they mentioned to me said was pushed to ALL. I believe they mentioned 8March - improved since then? I had one known issue since.

It's certainly an 'adventure'!
post #102 of 120 Old 03-16-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The issue remains, but if you change the channel and go back; it stops.

One other weird thing, go between local and cable channels, takes far longer, has the repeat loop issue (local channel) and the skip/sound issue.

Thank you, though, fro confirming that this problem is external to my provider and home network.

Maybe the patch has not reached everyone yet; I am at 7March.
The 'patch' is just that. It's NOT a dated-named 'update' JUST A PATCH. They mentioned it in a 'ticket' that I had opened. I believe that giving it some thought that the issues seem for me to be with 'network' locals and NOT the typical CABLE. I might need to watch that closer! I'll tinker a little with channel changes local>cable and see what happens.

I'm the only user and do very few channel swaps.
post #103 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The 'patch' is just that. It's NOT a dated-named 'update' JUST A PATCH. They mentioned it in a 'ticket' that I had opened. I believe that giving it some thought that the issues seem for me to be with 'network' locals and NOT the typical CABLE. I might need to watch that closer! I'll tinker a little with channel changes local>cable and see what happens.

I'm the only user and do very few channel swaps.
Having some of the same issues here. Every morning I have to reset the main box because it is frozen on wherever it was when power saver kicked on and the remote is unresponsive except for the STB button.

Haven't had the "looping" problem recently but I do seem to be having more of the "hang tight", especially on local channels.

Nobody I chat with from Layer 3 seems to have any clue
post #104 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japapoe View Post
Having some of the same issues here. Every morning I have to reset the main box because it is frozen on wherever it was when power saver kicked on and the remote is unresponsive except for the STB button.

Haven't had the "looping" problem recently but I do seem to be having more of the "hang tight", especially on local channels.

anybody happen to know how to access the technician's menu? It used to be you could enter "help" from the remote, but that doesn't work any more. Would love to get back into that!
post #105 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:

You didn't mention your 'market' and how your boxes are connected!!! What market?

If I had 'HANG-TIGHT' issues I'd be looking at my network for starters. How many LITE boxes and how are they connected? I've never had an issue that I discussed directly with 'TECHNICAL CHAT' that I didn't get what could be determined to be 'less' than responsive. 8 - 9 months ago I had what I thought LITE box issues. I connected my LITE box through the 2d Ethernet connection on the MAIN. The technician @ L3TV checked the LITE while connected.

I've never had a 'house-call' and told them if I couldn't do diagnostics to suit them then I likely didn't need their service.

How long have you been a 'user/subscriber'?
post #106 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You didn't mention your 'market' and how your boxes are connected!!! What market?

If I had 'HANG-TIGHT' issues I'd be looking at my network for starters. How many LITE boxes and how are they connected? I've never had an issue that I discussed directly with 'TECHNICAL CHAT' that I didn't get what could be determined to be 'less' than responsive. 8 - 9 months ago I had what I thought LITE box issues. I connected my LITE box through the 2d Ethernet connection on the MAIN. The technician @ L3TV checked the LITE while connected.

I've never had a 'house-call' and told them if I couldn't do diagnostics to suit them then I likely didn't need their service.

How long have you been a 'user/subscriber'?
Chicago market
Have 1 main box and 1 Lite Box connected via ethernet
Consistent Comcast speeds ~85MBPs down and ~15MBPs up

I originally had the Lite box connected to the 2nd ethernet port at the main box but now I have each box plugged directly into router.

The chatter today did "a hard reboot" so we'll see if we get a change. Is that "hard reboot" any different than using the button on the back?

She told me that she's had other complaints since the last system update and this should fix it.....only time will tell

Been a Layer 3 subscriber for 2 years now....this is my 2nd go around. I had them for about 6 months when they first launched in Chicago and the issues were too much to deal with it at that time (way too laggy, missing recordings, etc). Been pretty solid the last 2 years but this having to reboot thing is starting to drive me nuts
post #107 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Chicago market

I originally had the Lite box connected to the 2nd ethernet port at the main box but now I have each box plugged directly into router.

The chatter today did "a hard reboot" so we'll see if we get a change. Is that "hard reboot" any different than using the button on the back?

She told me that she's had other complaints since the last system update and this should fix it.....only time will tell

Been a Layer 3 subscriber for 2 years now....this is my 2nd go around. I had them for about 6 months when they first launched in Chicago and the issues were too much to deal with it at that time (way too laggy, missing recordings, etc). Been pretty solid the last 2 years but this having to reboot thing is starting to drive me nuts
well it's still happening. I paused a DVR recording for about 30 minutes and the energy saver activated. All I was able to do was resume or pause the recording but nothing else. Couldn't change channels, exit the recording, view the guide, etc. Had to reboot
post #108 of 120 Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Chicago market

I'd still consider a 'REBOOT' of your entire NETWORK <every component> modem, router, switch and whatever. UNPLUG every damn one of them and restart all 'in sequence' PULL power plug on the MAIN & LITE. My MAIN & LITE don't have a reset button. (Found the buttons - I've never used and it's NEVER been a suggestion from CSR) My stuff is 8 months old.

Xfinity modem or yours? Which?

You should be able to REBOOT from SETTINGS menu on each box, pulling the plug or REBOOT using the USER PORTAL under devices.

Very busy Xfinity node (apartment complex maybe).

Last edited by WVZR1; 03-24-2019 at 06:42 AM.
post #109 of 120 Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As much as I like the Layer3 system and will likely be a client again in the future, I dropped the system over the weekend. The system became so unreliable with the issues each of you have described, that we installed a Spectrum base cable package as a backup several weeks ago. When Layer3 started requiring daily reboots and was frequently missing recordings because of the box locking up, we were using Spectrum more often than Layer3. So we upgraded the channel lineup at Spectrum and removed Layer3.

We are in the Dallas area. We did every fix mentioned on this thread, as well as all of the suggestions provided by Layer3. We had Layer3 techs onsite twice and tried three boxes. I even replaced old ethernet cat5 with new cat6 in the walls. Our internet provider and our LAN are both solid. Internet averages 470/23, and is solid enough to handle my in-home office that runs two simultaneously connected highly secure VPN systems all day every weekday without more than one or two minor glitches annually. Using Spectrum internet with my own modem, Eero mesh router system, and 2018 Sony 65 900F television and audio system.

Hoping Layer3 gets their act together, because I want to return someday...
aaronwt likes this.
post #110 of 120 Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Liked: 13
We're in the DFW area as well as I cancelled Layer 3 tonight. It's been over three weeks since we've been able to reliably watch TV on their platform. We've had DirecTV Now as a substitute for unreliable light boxes for months now and it's worked pretty good during the entire time, so we'll use it as primary until we figure out a long term solution. DTVN is raising their price $10 per month, but still without the L3 cost, I'm ahead of the game. I also hope L3 can get their act together, because it has potential to be a great service. I think they just need to fire their development staff as they seem to be the root cause of all of their issues.
mdavidm likes this.

HD Junkie
post #111 of 120 Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
well it's still happening. I paused a DVR recording for about 30 minutes and the energy saver activated. All I was able to do was resume or pause the recording but nothing else. Couldn't change channels, exit the recording, view the guide, etc. Had to reboot
Pausing a DVR event for 30 minutes I might expect an 'unusual' situation as yours. I've NEVER attempted such and I wouldn't even consider it as a test.

I've had 7 days of what I'd consider reliable service after some of the 'stumbles' created by the 'development staff'. I've lost no recordings, I've been able to manage recordings well, I've had a couple DVR events **stall/freeze for maybe 3-5 seconds or so but if left alone they resumed. This was on the LITE box only. This last 'MAJOR' change was certainly a mess but I'd like to think we're beyond that. Only time will tell.

All of the rumors of a newer STB to be released maybe required the changes but those of us with the current STB seem to certainly be the BETA testers.

I'm not at the point of cancelling yet and I'd like to think I'll not be pushed there. I haven't tried any of the other IPTV options and until L3TV fails miserably I'll 'HANG IN THERE'.

** Not knowing how frequently or time of day L3TV updates the 'LIVE GUIDE' I sort of assumed maybe this was related to that event.

Last edited by WVZR1; 03-24-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #112 of 120 Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still hanging in there

DFW Suburb.

Yea, I've experienced all the bumps & potholes in the service as posted by many. I had decided at the start, that I'd go with a year, given bugs, testing, and oddities that nearly defy description.

I still like the service, I just keep my expectations tamped down.
mdavidm likes this.
post #113 of 120 Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiOS ConVert View Post
We're in the DFW area as well as I cancelled Layer 3 tonight. It's been over three weeks since we've been able to reliably watch TV on their platform. We've had DirecTV Now as a substitute for unreliable light boxes for months now and it's worked pretty good during the entire time, so we'll use it as primary until we figure out a long term solution. DTVN is raising their price $10 per month, but still without the L3 cost, I'm ahead of the game. I also hope L3 can get their act together, because it has potential to be a great service. I think they just need to fire their development staff as they seem to be the root cause of all of their issues.
Just wanted to pass along that L3 credited my unused subscription cost within a day of receiving my equipment back. Good luck to you guys. I'll check back down the road and if things are better will be back.
WVZR1 likes this.

HD Junkie
post #114 of 120 Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiOS ConVert View Post
Just wanted to pass along that L3 credited my unused subscription cost within a day of receiving my equipment back. Good luck to you guys. I'll check back down the road and if things are better will be back.
I've had a run of several days of quite reliable service. I use a MAIN & 1 LITE with just 1 'USER'. The way L3TV seems to learn 'USER' preferences I can't imagine the updating of lets say 3 users and the various boxes to go smoothly. I've 3 months until the 1 year anniversary and I'm NOT wanting to return to Xfinity [and my TiVo(s)]and it seems that it's improved. All of the other options for IPTV seem to have issues also. I've tried NO others.

You returned only boxes and remotes or did they require you to return the HDMI cables etc also? It's good to know the refunds/credits went well. I've considered 'the quit' a few times and wondered how the return might go. I never asked them.

I'd certainly like to see more participation here in the AVSForum particularly from those in the WASH DC market.

I haven't had a CHAT or opened a 'ticket' in 10 or so days. A couple issues but not knowing time of day for guide updates etc it's difficult to know just how to address questions.

I'd be interested in knowing maybe how many 'hops' from L3TV to me. I'm quite rural on a very old Comcast system. I wonder if the experience is different for those in maybe a very well maintained METRO environment.
post #115 of 120 Old 04-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I've had a run of several days of quite reliable service. I use a MAIN & 1 LITE with just 1 'USER'. The way L3TV seems to learn 'USER' preferences I can't imagine the updating of lets say 3 users and the various boxes to go smoothly. I've 3 months until the 1 year anniversary and I'm NOT wanting to return to Xfinity [and my TiVo(s)]and it seems that it's improved. All of the other options for IPTV seem to have issues also. I've tried NO others.

You returned only boxes and remotes or did they require you to return the HDMI cables etc also? It's good to know the refunds/credits went well. I've considered 'the quit' a few times and wondered how the return might go. I never asked them.

I'd certainly like to see more participation here in the AVSForum particularly from those in the WASH DC market.

I haven't had a CHAT or opened a 'ticket' in 10 or so days. A couple issues but not knowing time of day for guide updates etc it's difficult to know just how to address questions.

I'd be interested in knowing maybe how many 'hops' from L3TV to me. I'm quite rural on a very old Comcast system. I wonder if the experience is different for those in maybe a very well maintained METRO environment.
My refund experience was the same.

As for returning the equipment, they sent an empty box with a prepaid UPS label, and enclosed instructions for packing the DVR unit, the power cord and transformer, the remote, and the HDMI cable. I packed it up and dropped it by a local UPS store, and received an email confirming receipt of the equipment within two days, and the refund posted the following day.
post #116 of 120 Old 04-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:

I'm in the DC market. In Alexandria VA. I just disconnected service. Waiting for return box right now. The service definitely has potential. But for now, the DVR is sluggish and locks up from time to time. It also was skipping some recordings. One thing also to consider: When you turn off the unit (standby mode), the DVR continues to stream the channel you were watching. I assume this is so you can pick up where you left off. However, this may be an issue if you have data caps in your area. Fortunately, there are no data caps in my area. Also, EPIX seems to lack Dobly 5.1 on the live channels. Their on demand has it though. I did get Dolby on all the other channels that broadcast with it. Finally, Layer3's pricing is a little high. Plus, they have per TV fees. I guess that's because they give you a lot of channels. In reality, I only watch a small subset of their channels they offer. If the customer could select the channels they want in some way, that would be better. Their PQ is great. I plan to try again if things improve.
post #117 of 120 Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM

How was everyone's experience 'yesterday 4/11' with L3TV?

Last edited by WVZR1; 04-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #118 of 120 Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
How was everyone's experience 'yesterday 4/11' with L3TV?
A re-boot here and there. Noticed a string of freebie HBO channels added, and today a string of Cinemax channels added.
I love it when there are free Premiums for a few days.

Got an email apologizing for 'troubles', and a $12 credit for PPV use. I still like L3TV,
post #119 of 120 Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3799 Post(s)
Liked: 3293
I haven't seen anyone mention it in the last few posts but Layer3 (rebranded under T-Mobile) is finally launching nationwide in select markets starting this Sunday April 14th...they're charging $100 for 350+ channels including some 4K content...I'll be keeping an eye on this and looking forward to hearing peoples experiences...I'm in NYC and want to try it out mainly for the 4K content and hopefully improved picture quality over my current cable provider- FiOS...

T-Mobile officially unveils its home TV service, TVision Home

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/t-...-tvision-home/
beerhunt likes this.
post #120 of 120 Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8767 Post(s)
Liked: 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention it in the last few posts but Layer3 (rebranded under T-Mobile) is finally launching nationwide in select markets starting this Sunday April 14th...they're charging $100 for 350+ channels including some 4K content...I'll be keeping an eye on this and looking forward to hearing peoples experiences...I'm in NYC and want to try it out mainly for the 4K content and hopefully improved picture quality over my current cable provider- FiOS...

T-Mobile officially unveils its home TV service, TVision Home

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/t-...-tvision-home/
It's not too hard to beat FiOS quality now. UNless you are Comcast. Layer3TV T-Mobile should easily blow away the terrible video quality that FiOS has now.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page